PDA

View Full Version : Am I not finishing the pull?

Sharif Jomaa
11-12-2011, 05:56 AM
I'm still a newbie to Oly lifting and I have a general question that might not be easy to answer since I don't have a video yet.. I'll try and get one next week.

When cleaning, I feel I might be catching the bar too quickly and maybe not finishing the pull. I think the problem is that I'm dropping/getting my body ready for the front squat a little too quick. I was cleaning my 1RM today (95kg) when I noticed this.

I'm not sure if this makes sense without a video, but does it sound like it could be a common newbie mistake?

Greg Everett
11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
It's possible, although often what people think of as finishing the pull is actually over pulling, i.e. unproductively prolonging the time spent in the top position. If you can get some video, we can definitely figure out what you're doing.

What makes you think you were getting under the bar too quickly?

Sharif Jomaa
11-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I assumed I wasn't finishing the pull mainly because I felt I got into a front squat position a little quickly.. I was pulling my max for sure so it's possible I was just lifting too heavy and wasn't able to fully extend in which case I would need to lower the weight.. it's all mumbo jumbo with a vid, so I'll get one up soon.

Thanks again.