PDA

View Full Version : SS Log (+ Mass Gain?)

Pages : 1 [2]

Chris Forbis
02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
23 February 2008

Snatch-grip deadlifts from a platform
1 set of 5 reps of 225#

I wasn't sure if the bum ankle would keep me from lifting as much, but everything went great.

Last time I power cleaned, my knee flared up. Nothing too bad, but I think I'm going to remove power cleans until I can purchase some lifting shoes. Once my ankle stability is a bit better I will do pistols and deadlifts on alternate workouts. Until the ankle is more stable, I'll just stick with the deadlifts.

I've been thinking about muscle-ups a lot. I'm not getting enough power on my pullup portion, thus I am not elevating enough and getting stuck too low in the transition. This is beating up my elbows. So I'm going to really focus on getting an explosive pull. If that doesn't help matters, I'll have to go to weighted pullups to increase my pulling power.

Garrett Smith
02-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Chris,
On your muscle-ups, make sure to nearly (if not outright) brush your thumbs along your pecs--that's how close the rings have to stay to you in the transition. Muscle-ups can be done quite slowly (ie. not a huge pull, because I don't have one!) if the rings are kept very close.

If you are talking about bar muscle-ups, then yes, you do need a very explosive pull to get through the transition.

Chris Forbis
02-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Chris,
On your muscle-ups, make sure to nearly (if not outright) brush your thumbs along your pecs--that's how close the rings have to stay to you in the transition. Muscle-ups can be done quite slowly (ie. not a huge pull, because I don't have one!) if the rings are kept very close.

If you are talking about bar muscle-ups, then yes, you do need a very explosive pull to get through the transition.

The 3 MU that I have done over the past couple weeks have all been done very slowly. I'll focus on the thumbs staying in close. It is extremely brutal on the elbows when I get stuck in the transition.

Garrett Smith
02-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I think MUs are brutal on the elbows any way they're done. Just check the CF message board (under Injuries & Medical Issues) for the next several days after the "30 muscle-ups for time" WOD comes up!

Chris Forbis
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
26 February 2008

Muscle-up attempts
3 failures

HSPU
3 sets of 5 reps

Ring Dips
1 set of 3 reps

Snatch-grip deadlift from a platform
1 set of reps of 230#

MU I was able to get to a really disadvantageous dip position which I wasn't able to press out of.

HSPU were off 1 foot boxes, top of head to a stack of nine 10# plates in between. Moving to eight plates.

Ring dips emphasized maximum depth.

DL was great. Moving to 235#.

Chris Forbis
02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
27 February 2008

Some dunking and a couple of drills at basketball practice.

I was a little tentative with the ankle at first but it held up pretty well. I will likely be playing basketball on Sunday (with a tape job). It feels pretty darn good, though it is still purple in places.

Chris Forbis
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
28 February 2008

HSPU
Sets of 5,3,3 reps

Snatch-grip deadlift from platform
1 set of 5 reps of 235#

Vertical jumping

Didn't feel too snappy today, but the weight went up anyway. HSPU were to a depth of 5.25" below the plane of my hands. Threw down a few dunks at the end.

No workout on Saturday, taking some of my students to state for a math competition. Hopefully the pickup game on Sunday happens. I am raring to go.

Chris Forbis
03-04-2008, 04:07 PM
To get hyped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

4 March 2008

Muscle-Up singles
2 failures followed by 5 successes

1 set of 5 reps of 245#

Oh baby, does that video get me fired up. Muscle-up tips from the thread in the gymnastics forum helped in a big way. I think I did as many MU today as I have done previously in the rest of my life.

Repurchased some lifting shoes (last pair lost/stolen). Once they are here, the plan is to start videotaping my form in the SS lifts, and get some online advice here. Once the form gets decent enough, I thinking of doing a 6 week cycle of pure SS + 1 gallon of whole milk a day. I'm kind of interested to see what happens.

Chris Forbis
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Diet check in:

Monday/Wednesday (fasting/light-eating days)
2322 calories; 77% fat (195g), 5% carb (47g, 19g of that fiber), 19% protein (107g)
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=forbis316&Year=2008&Month=1&Day=27

Tuesdays/Thursdays (workout/heavy eating days)
3937 calories; 71% fat (310g), 7% carb (110g, 42g of that fiber), 22% protein (220g)
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=forbis316&Year=2008&Month=1&Day=28

Friday gets junky. Eggs for breakfast (good), pizza for lunch (bad), chicken with asparagus for dinner (good) with a full bottle of wine (bad) and usually a beer (before dinner) and a bourbon (after dinner).

Saturday starts with leftovers from Friday. After working out comes my post-workout concoction. Then usually a significant amount of Guinness and a burger. Cook (usually chicken again) for dinner, typically fairly heavy on the alcohol.

Sunday starts with Saturday's leftovers. I then eat the same things I do on M/W (in addition). Sometimes I will work in a trip to a Chinese buffet.

I could probably stand to bump my protein intake a little. Averaging M-Th together, I don't even get 1g/lb. Weight has been hovering in the high 170s. This is +5# to my weight roughly a year ago. About -20# from my peak at the start of the summer (a very flabby peak).

Allen Yeh
03-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Muscle-Up singles
2 failures followed by 5 successes

Sweet!

Chris Forbis
03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
6 March 2008

HSPU
sets of 5, 4, and 3 reps

Inverted hang pullups
3 sets of 2 (partial reps)

Pistols +15# DB
3 sets of 6, alternating legs each rep

HSPU were to a depth of 5.25" past the plane of my hands. Inverted hang pullups were my first time messing around with them and were pretty intense. First time on pistols since I sprained my ankle. It felt a little unstable and I'm definitely weaker, but it was good to be doing them again.

My lifting shoes were scheduled to be here tomorrow, but there was shipment exception from FedEx and it appears they have been rescheduled for delivery on OCTOBER 31, 2008. That's not good.

Chris Forbis
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
8 March 2008

Gymnastics stuff
frog stand, tuck front lever, handstands

Snatch-grip deadlift
1 set of 5 reps of 250#

Four hours of sleep. No excuses. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA)

Grip barely held out on the DL.

1 minute of frog stands over 4 sets. 1 minute of levers over 3 sets. 1 minute of handstands with belly against the wall over 4 sets. About 1 minute of free standing handstands over bunches of sets.

I'm thinking of tweaking the schedule.
MTuThF: gymnastics stuff as above, perhaps some pistols
W: back squat, muscle-ups, deadlift
Sa: back squat, HSPU (increased ROM), power-cleans
Su: pickup basketball or nothing

Chris Forbis
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
11 March 2008

Back Squat
sets of 5: 45,75,105,135,155,175

HSPU
sets of 4,3,3

Inverted pullups

Power Cleans
sets of 3: 145,150,155,160,165

Lifting shoes came in yesterday. Feels good to have them again.

HSPU were increased ROM. Inverted pullups were low ROM. I'm getting comfortable enough with these to start doing sets and counting reps. Next time.

I'm headed to Houston tomorrow for a likely debacherous weekend. I may do some planche and handstand work, but nothing else until next Tuesday.

Allen Yeh
03-12-2008, 04:51 AM
Lifting shoes came in yesterday. Feels good to have them again.

What happened to October 31st? ha!

Chris Forbis
03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
While in Houston, I did a frog stand for a minute straight, so I will be working on tuck planches from here on.

Also while in Houston, I had way too much fun and now have a myriad of small injuries to show for it. Scaling numerous fences while severely inebriated is not a good idea, kids. So it's going to take a few days to get back into the workout groove.

My diet was also severely derailed while in Texas. So I'm working on getting that back on track.

Chris Forbis
03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Still suffering from a wicked bruise on my shin that limits my ROM at the ankle and shin joint. So I took things easy today.

25 March 2008

Squat
3 sets of 5 reps of 45#

Muscle-Ups
5 or 6 singles, a few failures interspersed

Deadlift
3 sets of 5 reps of 135#

After each MU, I had a very deliberate negative down to full hang.

About the deadlift... CRIKEY! I had only done snatch-grip deadlifts recently (at a much higher weight, I might add), which are very squat like. Even though I kept it light, the standard deadlift fried my hamstrings right below the glutes. The snatch grip DL must not hit that...

Chris Forbis
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Ankle mobility was feeling good, so I decided to do a squat workout.

27 March 2008

Squat
3 sets of 5 reps of 135#

Vertical jumping

Squats were ok. Vertical jumping sucked.

Chris Forbis
04-01-2008, 04:10 PM
1 April 2008

Squat
5 rep sets @ 135,155,175#

Muscle-Ups
4 sets: double, double, fail, double

Deadlift
5 rep sets @ 135,165,195,225

Great workout. It's looking like sets across at 175# is what I'm going to work up to on the squat. 155,175,175 on Saturday and the full sets across next Tuesday.

My first muscle-up went well, so I decided to try and make it a double... success! Pulled off two more doubles. Next Tuesday, I'll shoot for 5 separate doubles.

Deadlift I'm just trying to work my way up until I find a weight that is heavy for 5 reps. Next Tuesday I'll warm-up to a single set of 5 at 255 and go from there.

Chris Forbis
04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
3 April 2008

I am still ridiculously sore from my workout on Tuesday. Thus today is a pretty easy day so I will be primed to absolutely attack the squat/pc workout on Saturday.

Dunking and sprinting. I was catching good air by the end of the session, getting down some real clean dunks. Sprinting was the length of the basketball court (84') with a rapid deceleration at the end (to avoid crashing into the wall).

I'm getting some Nike Free 7.0 trainers in tomorrow. I'm hoping they will provide enough support for lateral cutting, high speed starts and stops, etc. My Free 3.0s don't really cut it. I would absolutely love to replace my basketball shoes (huge, clunky high tops) with them, but we'll see.

Chris Forbis
04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
5 April 2008

Squat
Sets of 5 reps @ 155,165,175#

Press
1 set of 3 reps @ 135# (whoa there!), 2 sets of 5 reps @ 125#

Power Clean
Sets of 3 reps @ 135,140,145,150,155

Post-workout BW of 175.6. My legs were still real sore from the sprinting on Thursday. I walked to the gym to get the legs warmed up... it is a beautiful day today.

Solid workout. I'll edge the lifts up to try and get them to sets across. Might do sets across of squat on Tuesday if the legs are feeling up to it.

Chris Forbis
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
8 April 2008

Squat
3 sets of 5 reps @ 175#

Muscle-Ups
single, double, failed double, failed double, failed double, failed double

Deadlift
5 reps @ 255#, 5 reps @ 275#

Only work sets shown. Twinge in the back after deadlifts that is still hurting an hour later... that sucks. Lifting again on Saturday. Lots of stretching before then.

Chris Forbis
04-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Here we are 5 hours post-workout. My back is still hurting in the twinge area. And methinks I overdid it with the lifting today. I've been in a profoundly poor mood the last 3 hours or so, consumed with negative thoughts.

I wasn't able to sleep, so I went out for a walk. Starting to feel a bit better. I normally only feel like this when I eat one of my trigger foods (oatmeal and strawberries are two of them). Diet has been solid the last two days, no notable stress, so I'm guessing my body is upset from the workout this afternoon. I'm guessing two sets of heavy deadlifts was too much.

Chris Forbis
04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
24 hour post-workout report. The twinge in the back is still there, but not really too awful. I had DOMS pay a visit in the last few hours and it seems they are going to be a wicked case. Aiming for 9 hours of sleep tonight.

Chris Forbis
04-10-2008, 04:03 PM
10 April 2008

Sprinting and jumping.

DOMS are still haunting me, but the twinge in the back is feeling quite a bit better. I'll see how it is and perhaps squat and power clean on Saturday. I overshot my target of 9 hours of sleep last night, ending up at 10h50m after oversleeping by 1h10m.

The workout today felt pretty good. I was dunking ok considering how freaking sore I still am. My ankle felt a little week, but it was a passable.

Chris Forbis
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
12 April 2008

Squat
3 sets of 5 reps of 180#

Press
3 sets of 5 reps of 130#

Power Clean
5 sets of 3 reps of 135#

I'm very happy with this workout. My back hasn't complained much about it either, which is very good. We'll see if this holds up over the next day or two with all the junk I've had to eat and drink yesterday and today. I kept the PC light to work on form and not push the tweak I got in my back on Tuesday.

I bought a quart of whole milk this week. After my dietary indiscretions on the weekend I usually need a day or two for my GI tract to sort itself out. On Thursday I'll try drinking the quart with my breakfast and see what happens. If things don't go too well, I'll buy some Digestive Advantage Lactose Intolerance Therapy and take that for a couple days prior to trying again the following week.

Chris Forbis
04-15-2008, 03:42 PM
15 April 2008

Jumping

Pistols
sets of 2, 4, and 6, alternating legs each rep

Sprints
3 court length sprints

Various annoying injuries in my back led me to this workout. Pistols in the lifting shoes feel wonderful. Jumping was pretty shitty today. I'm expecting better on Thursday.

Chris Forbis
04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
17 April 2008

Jumping

Pistols
sets of 4,6,8; alternating legs each rep

Sprinting
2 full court length sprints

Jumping was a lot better today. My right ankle is still not feeling strong enough to jump off one leg, but two legs goes well. I was close to getting some dunks down at in-game fast break speed.

The last set of pistols was tough, but I got it. Looking at 6,8,10 next time around.

Sprinting made my hip flexors/quads hurt like hell so I only did two. Looks like I need to do some more active stretching...

I consumed a quart of whole milk with breakfast this morning. It pushed the calories up close to 1700 for the meal. I got a bit of fogginess 3.5 hours later, but nothing too bad. Real thirsty. My GI tract hasn't complained much otherwise...

Chris Forbis
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
I think I'm going to be cutting back on my PM Forum visits. There's nothing wrong going on here, but the time I invest in visiting is more valuable then the stuff I'm getting out of it at this point of my athletic training. I've got some back injuries I'm nursing back to health, so I'm going to stick with jumping, pistols, sprints, and basic gymnastics (planche/lever progressions, handstands, hspu, inverted pullups, and muscle-ups) for a while. I'll probably check back in here on the weekends to post progress and any major dietary divergences.

Chris Forbis
04-25-2008, 04:21 PM
21-25 April 2008

MWTh I did planche and lever progressions upon waking. I had intended to do them Friday as well, but was too beat up (see Thursday post below) and didn't feel like it. The lever is progressing nicely and I can see myself moving to the advanced tuck before too much longer. The planche is going to take awhile.

Monday
One game of 2 on 2 basketball, muscle-ups (sucked... just a few singles and many failures), pistols (sets of 4,6,8)

Thursday
An epic 1 on 1 series with a student of mine. He destroyed me the first game, 21-10 or so (to 21... can't remember what I had). Second game I got him, 29-26 (it was to 21, win by 3). I won the rubber match 15-12 (to 15). I was damn tired by the end. The kid can play. His game suits one on one much better than mine does too... ideally I have a ball handler feeding me. I was pulling every trick I had out of the book. I got a few dunks in afterwards and did a few pistols and sprints before calling it a day.

Tomorrow I plan on doing some jumping, sprinting, HSPU, inverted pullups, and pistols. I will likely stick with this schedule until my lingering back issues are a non-issue, then I will maybe work in some barbell lifting. OHS might be a good place to start.

I've found my GI tract tolerates milk ok, so I've added a quart of whole milk to breakfast four days a week. The added calories (it's the carbs, probably) the milk has seem to have kept my weight from receding quite as much as it normally does during the course of the week (my weight usually bumps up from weekend indulgences).

Chris Forbis
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
26 April - 2 May 2008

MTuWTh - Planche and lever progressions upon waking. I'm working on the advanced tuck lever now. Planche is still slow going and I'm stuck on the tuck version.

Saturday - HSPU, some inverted pullups, and pistols. A little jumping, a little sprinting.

Tuesday - 1-on-1 basketball. I lost the series 2-1. It was close. I need to work on my shooting. Followed up with some muscle-ups, pistols, a few dunks, and a few sprints.

Thursday - 1-on-1 basketball. I lost the series 2-1. Again close. Followed up with some pistols, dunks, and sprints.

It looks like more of the same this coming week. My shooting needs to get better. I can't stand losing.

Chris Forbis
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
3-9 May 2008

MTuWTh

Planche and lever progressions upon waking. I'm getting 12-20 seconds per hold on the advanced tuck lever. The planche is lagging behind, but improving.

Saturday

1-on-1 basketball. I won this one, 2-1. I've found it is better to play tight defense and give away the occasional drive to the rim to keep him from getting in rhythm on his jumper. My shot was falling and the two I won weren't very close. I ended with pistols jumping to a 12" box, HSPU, inverted pullups, jumping, and sprinting.

Tuesday

Some pretty informal basketball with some alums. Ended with pistols jumping to a 12" box, jumping, and muscle-ups.

Thursday

Big time sleep deficit. I shot some hoops and called it day.

Chris Forbis
05-17-2008, 08:30 AM
10-16 May 2008

Lifting/gymnastics was the same as last week. 3-on-3 on Tuesday, 2-on-2 on Thursday.

I am getting some ridiculous height on my jumps now. I can two-handed dunk on a drop step from the block with ease (not in game... yet). I think this summer will be a good time to finally start work on Kelly Baggett's Vertical Jump Development Bible.

Chris Forbis
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
17-23 May 2008

Saturday - HSPU, inverted pullups, jumping, sprinting.

MTu - planche and lever progressions

Tuesday - 5 on 5 full court. Suffered a minor ankle sprain getting back in transition after a bad turnover. Laced it up tight and played on. It should be good to go by next Tuesday. Ended with muscle-ups. 5 sets, starting and ending at full extension without a kip. 2 sets were pure singles, 2 sets were attempted doubles, and 1 set was a successful double(!!). This is a PR for going from full extension.

Wednesday I woke up and my shoulder hurt like hell. Now it's Friday and it is still not 100%. Needless to say, with the ankle and shoulder I took Thursday off. And I didn't do the planche and lever progressions in the morning on ThF.

I may hit some pistols, jumping and sprinting on Saturday. Then back to my normal schedule on Tuesday, if the shoulder is feeling a-ok.

Weight gain has been happening. 4400 calories a day, 4 days a week. 3200 1 day a week. Who knows how much on the weekend. I may start having pizza and beer for dinner once during the week as well. My pants are tighter, so it is not all good weight. As long as I'm explosive enough to dunk, I don't mind too much. I can always cut out the gallon of whole milk a week if I need to slow things down.

In random weirdness, I have sprained my ankle 3 times in my life while playing basketball. All 3 of them happened getting back on defense in transition after a turnover by my team.

John Alston
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
10-16 May 2008

Lifting/gymnastics was the same as last week. 3-on-3 on Tuesday, 2-on-2 on Thursday.

I am getting some ridiculous height on my jumps now. I can two-handed dunk on a drop step from the block with ease (not in game... yet). I think this summer will be a good time to finally start work on Kelly Baggett's Vertical Jump Development Bible.

Nice.

Chris Forbis
05-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Full court basketball on Tuesday. Long fixed gear bike ride on Thursday.

I've got various small injuries (back, shoulder) I'm dealing with. So I'll probably be sticking with basketball and bike riding until I'm feeling better.

Chris Forbis
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I saw my athletic trainer yesterday about my shoulder. The diagnosis is not good... possible cuff or cartilage tear. I've got some exercises to do for a few weeks and if there's no improvement I'm off to see a specialist.

My back has been misbehaving. It doesn't like to go into hyperextension or flexion. Trainer thinks it's a possible stress fracture. Over a couple of months it was slowly getting better before I re-aggravated it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm probably going to still play basketball because I am a disobedient patient. I've really been working the hip/ham flexibility. Throw in some box jumps and sprints and that will be it. Since I have lots of time in the summer, I will resume with Z health. I did it for the first time in months yesterday... whoa are my feet tight.

Chris Forbis
06-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Quick check-in...

I've been doing my shoulder rehab exercises like a good patient. I've continued playing basketball (like a bad patient). I've limited myself to one handed dunking (with my good arm), since two handed dunking aggravated the shoulder (hanging from things was bothering it). The shoulder is feeling pretty good; I'll go in to get it checked out on Monday. My fingers are crossed... I want to start working with my rings again!

I'm getting really flexible in my glutes and hamstrings. I can touch my toes while keeping my lower and upper back in full extension! Whatever is ailing my back responds well to this added flexibility; the more flexible my glutes/hams are, the less often I have to put my back into flexion.

I've been doing the Z-Health Level 1 Neural Warm-Up (omitting back flexion/extension exercises) before playing basketball. Sometime when I have sufficient funds I would like to purchase their I-Phase program.

I've been logging about 30 miles a week on the fixed gear bike, making a couple grocery runs and a post office run a week on top of several short commutes to the gym for basketball. I'm trying to get my weekly auto mileage to less than my bicycle mileage.

Summer has been great. I ride my bike, play basketball, read at the pool, drink beer, and play videogames. Teaching is the best.

Chris Forbis
06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Utilizing my recently acquired flexibility, I did a few pistols today. I focused on keeping the extended leg completely locked out. Some delightful cramping on the top of my leg as a result.

Flexibility work and a few pistols this weekend. Fingers crossed for shoulder check on Monday.

Chris Forbis
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Shoulder update: improvement. I am to stay away from pulling but I can do pushing motions, so long as my elbow bends less than ninety degrees. Pistols, handstands, planche progressions, and l-sit work are on the agenda. I go back to get checked in a couple weeks.

Chris Forbis
06-25-2008, 05:47 PM
25 June 2008

Pistols - 3 sets of 6, alternating legs each rep

Leg Raises - 3 sets of 5, from support on the rings

Handstands against the wall

Short metcon - 30m sprint, 10 turkish get-ups (20#), 30m sprint, 10 double-unders, 30m sprint 2:37

I've been stretching the bejeezus out of hamstrings. They are almost to where I can get a nice l-sit without losing my lordotic arch.

Metcon was for the first time in ages. I want to get the TGU weight up higher. I'll likely also do multiple sets in the future. I'll mix things up with situps and box jumps as well.

Chris Forbis
07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
1 July 2008

Pistols
3 sets of 8, alternating legs each rep

Handstands, against wall

Leg raises on rings
3 sets of 5, holding last rep as a (poor) l-sit

Metcon:
Sprint court length, 10 sit-ups, sprint court length, 10 30" box jumps, sprint court length
I did 3 sets of this, taking a break after each one to shoot ten free throws (hit 9, 5, and 5). No watch, so no time.

Pistols felt pretty strong. Next time out I want to be sure I'm focusing on driving through the heel.

I'm working on flexibility and hip flexor strength so I can hold a good l-sit.

Metcon was fun. I'll be doing it again though I will increase the sit-ups to a set of 20.

Chris Forbis
07-04-2008, 12:47 AM
3 July 2008

Pistols
3 sets of 10, alternating legs each rep

Handstand work

Leg raises (to parallel) on rings
3 sets of 5, holding last rep

Metcon, sets of:
Sprint court length
10 turkish get-ups (25# DB, alternating arms each rep)
Sprint court length
20 double unders
Sprint court length

The number of reps were pushing it on pistols. I will stick with sets of 5 until it feels strong. Flexibility and hip flexor strength is getting me closer to a legitimate l-sit. Metcon I did 3 sets of. I followed each set with 10 free throws. I then started the next set. No clock. Hit 4, 5, and 6 free throws after each set.

The metcon killed me. I don't think I'm fully recovered from donating blood on Monday. My shooting sucks...

Chris Forbis
07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm planning on going through a stretch where I focus on posture issues and mobility.

I've got anterior pelvic tilt causing some posture issues. I'm using the T-Nation article below as a guideline for my strength and mobility training and stretching. I'm mostly interested in the abdominal training and mobility stuff, though I will follow their layout pretty closely.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1508256

The scapular mobility training will consist of scapular pushups, pullups, shrugs, dips, presses, and rows. Basic idea is that the elbow will stay locked and keep a very small range of motion using just the shoulder/scapula.

Thoracic mobility stuff will come from the link below. It is a surprisingly competent blog that I just stumbled upon while searching for thoracic mobility stuff.
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-improve-your-thoracic-mobility/

I haven't put a precise program together yet, but I'm thinking stretching, mobility, abdominal training daily. 2-3 days a week of the strength training (lunges, glute-ham raises, single leg RDL). I'll shoot for two days a week of basketball, with maybe one more metcon each week if I'm feeling frisky (sub a metcon in if I can't get people to play ball). The metcon will probably be some combination of short sprints, turkish get-ups, and double-unders. That combination destroys me.

8 July 2008

Mobility work followed by full-court basketball.

Chris Forbis
07-12-2008, 06:33 PM
12 July 2008

Single-leg RDL
3 sets of 10, alternating legs each rep; 15,20,25#DB respectively

Glute-ham raise
3 sets of 5

First time on the RDL, so I started light. GHR completely fried my hammies. I could only lower to about a 45 degree angle with the floor (if that far) before having to catch myself.

I've really been hammering on the mobility work, stretching, pelvic alignment etc. Seems to be helping somewhat.

Chris Forbis
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
15 July 2008

Single-leg RDL
3 sets of 10, alternating legs each rep
30,35,40# DB

Full-court four-on-four.

Going to call a local ART practitioner tomorrow and see if I can set up an appointment. I want some help with my anterior pelvic tilt, thoracic mobility, and ankle mobility.

Hammies were still a little sore from the GHR (actually just a hamstring curl) on Saturday.

All this basketball is getting me in pretty damn good shape. I'm running the fast break pretty well, which is always tough since I'm usually crashing the boards (being 6'4" and all).

Chris Forbis
09-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I killed the hard drive on my home computer, so my time to check the forum is squeezed into free time at work. I'm going to try to log my workouts here at the very least.

My chiro/ART guy did an awesome job on getting me back to feeling like a million bucks. I've resumed barbell lifting on a SS style program (front squat for back, since my back and I get along better with this substitution). I've been doing front squat/press/power clean/pullup on Tuesday and front squat/bench press/deadlift/chinup on Thursday (usually basketball on Sunday). I started the bench, squat, and deadlift weights fairly low and have been working my way up. Press I've always been decent at, so I jumped back in pretty high and I'm already nearing my upper limit. Power clean I started at 135 and I am now pretty near my current upper limit.

10 September 2008
BW=180

Front Squat
2 sets of 5 @ 45#
1 set of 5 @ 75
1 set of 3 @ 105
1 set of 2 @ 135
3 sets of 5 @ 160#

Press
2 sets of 5 @ 45#
1 set of 5 @ 65#
1 set of 3 @ 85#
1 set of 2 @ 105#
3 sets of 5 @ 125#

Power Clean
1 rep @ 135#
1 rep @ 135#
3 sets of 5 @ 150#

Pullups
Sets of 8, 8, and 6; minimal kipping

Last week I was unsuccessful at the 3 x 5 x 125 on the press, so I was pumped about completing it. I'll increase the press and PC by 5 for next Tuesday and the FS by 5 for Thursday.

My shoulder felt a little funny following the pullups, so I'm going to focus on being absolutely certain I get to full extension at the bottom of each rep.

I'm keeping the calories relatively low (~2500 a day) as I try to drop some poor weight that I acquired around my midsection this summer. Once the work pants start fitting a little better, I'll start adding in calories.

Chris Forbis
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
12 September 2008

Front Squat
2 sets of 5 reps of 45#
1 set of 5 reps of 75#
1 set of 3 reps of 105#
1 set of 2 reps of 135#
3 sets of 5 reps of 165#

Bench Press
2 sets of 5 reps of 45#
1 set of 5 reps of 75#
1 set of 3 reps of 105#
1 set of 2 reps of 135#
3 sets of 5 reps of 155#

Deadlift
2 sets of 5 reps at 135#
1 set of 5 reps at 155#
1 set of 3 reps at 175#
1 set of 2 reps at 195#
3 sets of 5 reps at 215#

Chinups
3 sets of 8 reps; from a dead hang, no bouncing out of the bottom

Squat and deadlift still have some room for easy increases. +5 for Tuesday on squat and +10 for deadlift next Thursday. I'll go +5 on bench, but I'm not sure if I will get it done.

I was very deliberate on the chins and was surprised at getting the three sets of eight relatively easily. I did two dragon flags between each chin set. Those are tough!

Chris Forbis
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
16 September 2008

Front Squat
3 sets of 5 reps @ 170#

Press
3 sets of 5,4,4 reps @ 130#

Power Clean
3 sets of 5 reps @ 155#

Pullups
3 sets of 8,8,5 reps

Chris Forbis
09-20-2008, 08:48 AM
18 September 2008

Front Squat
3 sets of 5 @ 175#

Bench Press
3 sets 5 @ of 160#

Deadlift
1 set of 5 @ 225#

Deadlift is too easy... I think I will start adding 20# each week. I'm going to add in some more protein/fat at breakfast/lunch as well since my BF levels are starting to get lower.

I've got 205 FS, 315 DL, and 180 BP as my short-term target workout weights. These seem very reachable given my past history. Once there, I may start adding in some things from Baggett's Vertical Jump Development Bible. Further down the road, I've got 140 Press, 240 FS, 375 DL, 215 BP, 175 PC in mind.

Spent some time on the playground at school on Friday where the goal is somewhere in the 9'3" to 9'6" range. I can throw down some monster dunks (windmill, double pump reverse, off the glass to reverse, 360, etc.) on that thing. Being able to do even a fraction of that on a 10' goal would be beyond awesome (on a 10' I can just do a fairly boring two-hander).

Chris Forbis
09-24-2008, 05:47 AM
23 September 2008

Front Squat
3 sets of 5 reps @ 180#

Power Clean
3 sets of 5 reps @ 160#

Between benching on Thursday and my silly dunking on Friday, I re-aggravated a shoulder injury. So I'll take a couple weeks off from pressing and pullups an work the shoulder rehab pretty hard.

Both FS and PC are nearing the peak of the easy gains. At least I've got the FS over bodyweight.

Frank Needham
09-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Being all too familiar with back pain and the problems it can cause in pursuing fitness, I'd just like to say kudos to you Chris for keeping at it during a difficult period. Mine is terrible but I've kept at it now for a couple years and I'm definitely out of the hole with it and making steady improvement. Wish you the best with it!

Chris Forbis
09-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the kudos, Frank

25 September 2008

Front Squat
3 sets of 5 reps @ 185#

Deadlift
1 set of 5 reps @ 245#

The shoulder is still balky and I need to do a better job with the rehab work. I have my eye on 190 for FS and 255 for DL next time round.

Chris Forbis
10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
30 September 2008

Front Squat
3 sets of 5 reps @ 190#

Power Clean
5 sets of 3+f,3,3,2+f,2+f @ 165#

The first PC failure was due to starting my second pull early, causing me to hit me knee. The last two were not quite enough power. I'll get it next time.

I've been doing better with my shoulder rehab work and it is starting to feel a bit better. Another week or two and I may start pressing (no bench) again. I'm thinking about working on my jerk some as well.

Chris Forbis
10-03-2008, 07:38 AM
2 October 2008

Front Squat
3 sets of 5,4,4 reps @ 195#

Deadlift
1 set of 5 reps @ 255#

A bathroom urge struck between reps 4 and 5 of set #2, thus I stopped after 4. I'll get 195# on Tuesday.

My shoulder is still bothering me. I might have to get it checked out.

I plan on doing some silly dunking on the shorter goal today. Last time I did that on a Friday I was crazy bouncy at Sunday basketball. I'll have to stick to the one handers, as hanging off the rim is really aggravating to my balky shoulder.

Chris Forbis
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm not keen on keeping an every-workout log, but this is what I've been up to. I'm a big fan of the less-is-more philosophy.

Stats: 27yr/6'4"/181#/BF somewhere in 10-15% range I'd guess

Goals: flexibility, L-sit, 2 x BW DL, 5 rep set of no-kip MU, full-ROM HSPU

Training:
Every morning: mobility, some stretching.

M/Tu/Th/F mornings: L-sit work. 12 sets of 5 seconds (on the minute) of tuck l-sit off of my knuckles this morning. I've only recently gotten my hammies flexible enough to do this.

Monday:
1. Warmup with 45# OHS.
2. Continue warming up to 1 set of 5 reps of DL. 255# last week (super easy). Up 5# each week.
3. HSPU. I do these off of boxes with a stack of plates in between. When I can hit 5 reps at a particular depth, I take away another plate. 3 sets. A long way to go on this before I can do them full range.
4. Pull-ups. Chest to bar. 3 sets of 5 reps. I may soon start weighting these, perhaps on the rings. Once the L-sit gets here, I'd like to do L-pullups.

Tuesday: stretching lesson from Kit Laughlin's "Stretching & Flexibility".

Wednesday (easy day):
1. Warmup on OHS, work way up to one heavy, high-rep set. Heavy is relative here. I can't drop weights so I am conservative. Set of 9 @ 95# last week. I think when I can comfortably hit 15 reps, I'll move up 5#.
2. Hang to german hang and back. Goal of 3 sets of 5 reps. Did 3 sets of 2 last time. Bent arm on these.
3. Handstand work. Static, walking, whatever.

Thursday: stretching lesson from Kit Laughlin's "Stretching & Flexibility".

Friday:
1. Warmup with 45# OHS.
2. Continue warming up to 3 sets of 5 reps of RDL. I've been staying at 135#. Once my DL eclipses 270#, I'll keep it at of 50% of what I'm lifting for DL. Thanks to DVS for opening my eyes to how awesome the RDL is!
3. Muscle-ups. I just hit 3 sets of 5 on both false-grip pullups and ring dips, so it is time to work on MUs. Goal is 15 pulls and 15 pushes, so whatever doesn't get done from MU, I'll do pullups and dips at the end to make up for it. I've done MU before (doubles even), but I'd love to be able to do a 5-or-so rep set of no-kip MUs.

That is all for training. I go 4 weeks on, 1 week off, then pick back up at the DL weight from the last week of the last cycle. I'd like to get back and hit a new DL PR (360 or 365 old PR a few years ago). The weight has been absolutely flying up, so I think this is doable. If I can hit 2 x BW for a single (which would be not bad for a skinny bastard like myself) and I feel happy with my flexibility, I will dial the weight back and do extended ROM (short platform, only 25# weights on bar) snatch-grip deadlifts.

If I can get my ankle ROM and big toe irritation issues sorted out, I'd like to throw in some plyometric work. Maybe sprints on Monday, depth jumps on Friday with dunking/jumping jackassery on Wednesdays?

Diet:
1. Pastured, grass-fed: pork sausage and chops, eggs, bison, beef. Spinach, sweet potatoes, apples, olive oil, broccoli, avocados, Brussels sprouts, beer, coffee. 70% or so of intake.
2. Eating out (so whatever, but usually protein heavy) covers the rest.
3. IF on occasion, skipping probably 3 meals a week.
4. Towards the end of this month I'm going to take half-GOMAD for a four week test. If successful I will alternate those runs with 4 weeks off of it.

Supplements:
Probiotics, iodine, multi-vitamin, ZMA, vitamin D, fish oil, magnesium, ACV

I'm coming up on the end of my second 4 week cycle of doing this and I feel great. Work has been pretty stressful recently so the less-is-more idea has fit the bill.

Chris Forbis
06-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Rough week this week. I tried remembering the last time I took a week off and could not remember. Thus, I am back to log my workouts again. Taking next week off as well.

11 June 2009

Warmup (RDL and parallelette handstands)

RDL 3 sets of 5 at 140#

3 times through:
1. Reduced ROM parallelette HSPU (5, 3, and 2 reps to stacks of 14, 13, and 12 ten# plates)
2. Max ROM kipping bar pullups (4, 3, and 2; first of each set pulled to top of abs)
3. False-grip hang to jumping MU + 1 dip + 1 MU negative, focused on stretching shoulders

3 times through:
1. 5 Skin-the-cats (bent arms)
2. 5 Ab-wheel rollouts and back; from knees, reduced range

Some mild hip flexor strength work (so weak!).

Chris Forbis
06-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Felt pretty great today. Heavy dosing of probiotics took care of the GI issues I had. Rethinking the off week next week since at the end of the month I'll be traveling for a good 6 weeks and unsure of when I'll be able to get a workout in.

12 June 2009

Lower body stretching

Planche progression on parellelettes (frog stand, 2 sets of 30s)
Front lever progression on bar (tuck, 2 sets of 30s)

Lower body stretching

I'm pretty satisfied with the progress in my posterior chain flexibility. I can put my hands flat on the floor just bending at the hips. When seated I can put my chin on my knees. I still need to work on getting the forehead to shins / chest to thighs. Internal and external hip rotation still needs a lot of work.

Just started the BW static hold progressions again. I'm going to shoot for minute sets tomorrow to see if I'm ready for the next step in each progression.

Will do today's workout on Tu,We,Fr,Sa. Full-fledged workouts on M,Th. Off day on Su. I should be able to keep up with this through the end of the month.

Chris Forbis
06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
15 June 2009

Warmup (DL and parallelette handstands)

Deadlift 1 set of 5 reps @ 295# (mixed grip, left hand supinated)

5 parallelette HSPU to a stack of 13 10# plates
3 max ROM kipping PU (pulled to around top of abdominals)
False grip hang

After the HSPU I had a twinge in my back (left shoulder blade). It didn't go away, so I called it a day.

The DL was a piece of cake. Last week at 290 I had lots of trouble getting the five reps. It was rough enough I considered staying at that weight for this week. I did come down with a stomach bug the next day, so maybe that had something to do with it. Or maybe it was because it was the right hand supinated. Who knows. Next week I'll go for 300 with the right hand supinated again. Provided of course that this twinge settles down.

Chris Forbis
06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
The twinge in my back freaking sucks. It really doesn't like me turning my head. I did a bunch of mobility work with it and it is somewhat tolerable now. I have no idea what set it off.

16 June 2009

Alternated:
Tuck front lever from bar 45s, 15s
Frog stand on parallelettes 45s, 15s

I'm going to shoot for minute sets tomorrow.

I plan on scaling the Monday / Thursday gym workouts back. Deadlift (M) / RDL (Th) plus handstands and HSPU. Finish it off with some ab wheel and maybe a little hip flexor stuff. I need to buy Power to the People...

Chris Forbis
06-17-2009, 08:30 PM
17 June 2009

Tuck front lever: 50s, 10s
Frog stand: 60s

Frog stands feel like cheating. Time to work on the tuck planche, which will really kick my ass. If I had some chalk I might have been able to get the lever for 60s.

RDL, handstands, maybe some HSPU and bent press tomorrow.

Chris Forbis
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
18 June 2009

Warmup: parallelette handstands and RDL
RDL 3 sets of 5 reps of 145#
Bent press practice w/ 45# barbell
Ab wheel 3 sets of 5 (reduced ROM)
Front leg lifts 1 set of 10 each side
Side leg lifts 1 set of 10 each side

Nice and easy.

Chris Forbis
06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
19 June 2009

Tuck front lever: 50s, 10s
Tuck planche: 5 sets, each around 6s

I took the weekend off. Today (Monday) my lower back ached like crazy. Maybe the junk I ate during my trip to KC (Royals/Cards game) yesterday? I'm packing to move anyway, so this week will make a good rest week from lifting and gymnastics stuff. I'll still try to get a walk or bike ride in each morning (accumulating some belly fat, I am).

Chris Forbis
06-29-2009, 04:09 PM
29 June 2009

In the AM:
SS bike ride to the coffee shop. A little over 4 miles total. I'm going to try to get a ride in every weekday morning.

In the PM:
Warmup (DL and parallelette handstands)
Deadlift 1 set of 5 @ 295# (hook grip)
Ab-wheel rollouts 3 sets of 5 (reduced range from knees)
Standing leg lifts, 10 to the front, 10 to the side on each leg
Stretching

The deadlift set was super tough. It will depend on how I recover from this whether or not I go up to 300.

The week off came at a good time, as I had all kinds of stuff going on. I'm moving tomorrow and will be traveling a lot the next 6 weeks, so I will have to try hard to get workouts in.

Chris Forbis
07-02-2009, 07:43 AM
2 July 2009

Pistols
5 singles on each leg, w/ balance assist

HSPU
3 sets of 5, against a wall

Ab-Wheel
3 sets of 5, reduced ROM

Chris Forbis
08-27-2009, 04:42 AM
26 August 2009

1 set of 5 @ 195#, 1 set of 5 @ 205#

Alternated:
Push Jerk
5 sets @ 145# (power clean at start of set)

Dead-hang pullups to sternum
Sets of 4,4,3,3,3 reps

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees (barely reduced ROM)
3 sets of 5

Next week I want to get up to 215 and 225 on the SGDL. Once there, I will be content with 5 pound increases each week for awhile. On the rollouts I am close to being able to do them without a wall at the end. Once there for 3 x 5 it will be time to proceed to doing them standing (reduced ROM).

Chris Forbis
08-31-2009, 04:22 AM
30 Aug 2009

3 sets of 10 reps of pistols (alternating legs each rep)

3 sets of each, alternating exercise each set:
Parallelette HSPU (one reduced-ROM each set)
Door frame fingertip pullups (two each set)

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees
3 sets of 5

First week transitioning back to parallelettes after HSPU on the floor which is always rough. The fingertip pullups are brutal. First time doing ab-wheel rollouts without having a stop point catching me at the end. So it will soon be time to start working on progressions to doing them from standing.

Chris Forbis
09-09-2009, 06:00 AM
2 Sept

Deadlift
5 reps @ 255#, 5 reps @ 275#

Alternating 5 sets each of push jerk and sternum dead-hang pullups
150# (power clean to start) PJ; 3-4 reps of PU

Ab-wheel roll outs from knees
Sets of 3, 2, and 1 (still sore from Sunday)

6 Sept

3 sets of 10 pistols (alternating legs)

Alternating 3 sets each of parallelette HSPU (reduced ROM) and door jamb pullups
5 reps each set HSPU; 4, 2, and 2 PU

Ab-wheel roll outs from knees
3 sets of 5

Chris Forbis
09-11-2009, 04:27 AM
9 September 2009

Deadlift
1 set of 5 reps @ 275#
Stuck to this weight because last week was not very pretty in form. This week was good. 280 or 285 next week.

5 sets of each, alternating:
(1 Power clean -->) Jerks: 3 reps @ 155#; Sternum Pullups: 4 reps

3 sets of 5
Back was a little sore (in a bad way) from these after this weekend, so I really focused on keeping the core tight... it seemed to work. I will start working on progressing to doing them while standing.

Chris Forbis
09-14-2009, 04:27 AM
13 September 2009

3 sets of 10 pistols (5R-->5L)
These were pretty solid. It may be time to start holding some random, heavy household implements while doing these to increase the load.

3 sets of each, alternating:
Parallelette HSPU (reduced ROM): 5, 4, 3 (or 4?) reps
Door jamb pullups: 4, 3, 3 reps

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees:
3 sets of 5

This morning I did some myofacial release on my piriformis/glute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfnAUsYUTI
It hurt so good. Freaking awesome. It will definitely join the static hip flexor stretch in my daily morning routine.

Chris Forbis
09-17-2009, 04:40 AM
16 September 2009

Deadlift
1 set of 5 reps at 280#

Alternating sets, 5 of each:
(1 rep of Power Clean) --> Jerk, 3 reps @ 160#
Dead-hang Pullup, 3 reps + 10#

Ab-wheel rollout from knees
3 sets of 6 reps

Pirformis / glute work has improved my mobility such that I was leaning WAY too far forward on the deadlift. I could barely get the first rep and was confused. Then I remembered to lean back and drag the bar up my legs and all was good.

I've been doing everything barefoot and need to start wearing my lifting shoes for everything but the deadlift. It will make receiving the power clean and jerk a bit easier I think.

Chris Forbis
09-21-2009, 05:39 AM
20 September 2009

Pistols
3 sets of 6R/6L

Parallelette HSPU (reduced ROM), 5 reps
Fingertip door jamb pullups, 3 reps

3 sets of 5

I tinkered a bit with doing ab-wheel rollouts while standing. Impossible. I need to pick up a sturdy board that I can put up at an incline and roll up.

Chris Forbis
09-24-2009, 04:25 AM
23 September 2009

Deadlift
1 set of 5 reps @ 285#
Chalked-up hook grip.

5 sets of each, alternating:
1 power clean --> 3 jerks @ 165#
3 weighted pullups @ 15,20,25,30,35#
The power clean was giving me a little trouble at first before I recalled the cue to snap the elbows up. First pullup set was to sternum. Progressively less ROM on each set, until the last where I got my chin over by a few inches.

3 sets of 7 reps

Next week I am going to be a shadowing a coach with the football team which will probably keep me busy enough to keep me from doing a full workout. I'm contemplating trying to squeeze in a workout featuring 5 single deadlifts with an alternating grip, and nothing more. Start at 290# and see how heavy I can get for the day. I'd like to stick with the workout pattern I've been doing until I can hit a 2xBW deadlift (370ish). I doubt I will reach that point next week, but stranger things have happened...

Chris Forbis
10-02-2009, 06:18 AM
1 October 2009

Deadlift
Single reps @ 295, 305, 315, and 325#.
Wanted to hit five heavy reps, but 325 I could barely get. Alternated grip, left out, right in. Back to one set of 5 reps next week (@290#). Heavy singles again first workout in November?

Chris Forbis
10-08-2009, 04:52 AM
4 October 2009

Pistols, 3 sets of 6 reps right leg, 6 reps left leg

Bodyweight hamstring curls, 3 sets of 5 negatives
Pushed off floor at bottom.

Alternating sets of:
Fingertip door jamb pullups, 3 sets of 2
I haven't been improving at these one bit. I just can't keep my grip
Reduced ROM parallelette HSPU
3 sets of 5
Time to lower the box my head touches to.

7 October 2009

Deadlift, 1 set of 5 reps @290#
Alternated grip.

5 alternating sets of:
1 Power clean --> 3 jerk, 3 reps @ 170#
Failed on jerk #3 in sets 4 and 5.
Weighted sternum pullups, 3 reps @ 10#

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees, 3 sets of 8

Chris Forbis
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
11 October 2009

Pistols 3 sets of 10 reps (5 right / 5 left)
I don't like high reps on these so I need to find some heavy stuff to hold while doing them.

BW hamstring curl negatives 3 sets of 5 reps

HSPU 3,2,2 reps
Did these until the top of my head touched a box slightly below my hands.
Fingertip pullups on door jamb, 3,2,2 reps

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees, 3 sets of 10

Chris Forbis
10-16-2009, 04:47 AM
15 October 2009

Deadlift, warm-up sets working up to: 1 set of 5 reps @ 295#
Alternated grip, could have gone several reps more. 300 next week should be quite doable.

Singles of each, alternating:
Power clean and jerk: 155,160,165,170,175(f),175#
Ugly. I want to get one at body-weight (185?) just to say I've done it before focusing on the slow lifts. Next time I'll start at 160.
Weighted sternum pullups: 10,15,20,25,30#
25# rep was questionable and on the 30# rep the sternum definitely didn't touch. 2.5# increments next time, starting at 17.5.

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 3 sets of 12 reps
I need to get a long 2x6 to work on a progression for doing these standing.

Chris Forbis
10-19-2009, 04:17 AM
18 October 2009

Front squat: triples at 135#,145,155,165x3
First time squatting in a long, long time. Needless to say, my legs are ludicrously sore today.

RDL: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 135#

Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 115#

Pullups: 1 set of 10 reps

Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 3 sets of 13 reps

Chris Forbis
10-23-2009, 04:56 AM
22 October 2009

Deadlift: 5 reps @ 300#
Alternated grip. 305# next week, with heavy singles the following week. Hope to start getting close to my prior 1RM (365#).

Bench Press: 5 reps @ 135,145,155#
First time benching in ages. Sets across @ 155# next week. I also plan to alternate sets of this with pistols next week.

Alternating sets of:
Weighted sternum pullups: Triples at 0,5,7.5#
Sets across at 7.5# next week.
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 3 sets of 15
Need to work on ROM somewhat. Try and touch my chin to the ground each rep. I may have to scale the reps back a little to do so.

Chris Forbis
10-26-2009, 04:20 AM
25 Oct 2009

Front Squats: 5 triples @ 165#

Alternating sets of:
Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 120#
RDL: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 135#

Alternating sets of:
Pullups: Sets of 10,10,8 reps
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: Sets of 5,6,7

I was really close to not getting the last set of press. RDL I want to stay at the weight until I feel comfortable I am hitting the form properly. Then I'll creep the weight up to 50% of what I'm repping on DL. Pullups were chin over the bar kippers. I made a point of touching my nose to the ground on the ab-wheel rollouts. The slight increase in ROM I really felt in my shoulders on the way back in. Tweaked a muscle in my upper back while doing these that makes it hurt to turn my head. I've done this before. First week of Nov was going to be an easy week anyway, I'll just cut out the rollouts this Thursday and I should be good to go on Nov 8. I'll start back with fewer reps until my body adjusts to the ROM.

Chris Forbis
10-30-2009, 04:27 AM
29 October 2009

Deadlift: 5 reps @ 305#
Alternate grip; relatively easy.

Alternating sets:
Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 155#
Pistols: 3 sets of 5R->5L
Pistols were surprisingly easy.

Alternating sets:
Weighted sternum pullups: 5 triples @ 7.5#
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 5 singles
After the upper back tweak from the rollouts last week, I thought I would take it easy.

Great workout today. It took an hour from the start of my warm-up to my last rep. The ease of the pistols was a pleasant surprise. Glute moblity/strength work was of help here? Or maybe it was the reintroduction of front squats. Or maybe a crazy amount of hip flexor stretching the last few days. Whatever it was, I'll take it.

Friday I'll do some glute mobility/strengthening work. I'll skip Sunday's squat workout and do five heavy DL singles on Tuesday. Then I'll take it easy until the following Sunday where I'll pick back up with the squat workout. On Tuesday I expect to get close to my DL PR of 365 set a few years ago.

Chris Forbis
11-04-2009, 04:11 AM
3 November 2009

Deadlift, 5 heavy singles
315,325,335,345,355#

All went up easily. When I hit this workout again in early December, I'm expecting a PR (370 or greater). I need to find a scale. I haven't a clue what my BW is, though I'm guessing in the 185-190 range. If I can track one down, I may have dual goals (2xBW and 370) that may be identical.

Chris Forbis
11-05-2009, 04:06 AM
4 November 2009

Single leg hip thrust: 2 sets of 20 (10R/10L)
Fire hydrants, 5 second hold at top: 2 sets of 20 (10R/10L)

Those SL hip thrusts are hard! I'll probably do 2 sets of 20 SL glute bridge next time before doing the list above.

Chris Forbis
11-09-2009, 04:38 AM
8 November 2009

Front Squat: 5 triples @ 170#

Alternating sets of...
Press: Sets of 5,5,3 reps @ 125#
Back Extension: 3 sets of 10
Didn't have enough juice to finish off the last set of press. I'll get it next week. Back extensions were done explosively. First time doing these in ages and my hamstrings are damn sore today. Next week I'll go for 3 sets of 15 and maybe try the unilateral version in future weeks.

Alternating sets of...
Kipping pullups: 3 sets of 10
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 3 singles
The neck muscle that I occasionally aggravate with the rollouts is still feeling a little off so I took it real easy.

I think I might add 1 metcon a week. Nothing major. Something 5 minutes in length. Reduced weight (for now) Fran or Grace. Maybe alternate sets of kipping pullups and box jumps.

Chris Forbis
11-13-2009, 06:14 AM
12 November 2009

Deadlift: 5 reps @ 315#
Not easy, but I still had a few reps left in me.

Alternating sets of...
Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 160#
Pistols: 3 sets of 6R/6L

Alternating sets of...
Sternum weighted pullups: 5 triples @ 10#
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 5 singles

Mark your calendar, on the first of December I'm going to best my old deadlift PR (of 360 or 365).

Chris Forbis
11-16-2009, 04:25 AM
15 November 2009

Front Squats: 5 triples @ 175#

Alternating sets of...
Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 125#
Back extension (explosively): 3 sets of 15 reps

Alternating sets of...
Kipping pullups: 3 sets of 11
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 3 doubles

Chris Forbis
11-17-2009, 04:40 AM
16 November 2009

Glute bridge: 2 sets of (1 rep + 1 rep right leg + 1 rep left leg) x 5
Hip thrust: 1 set of (1 rep + 1 rep right leg + 1 rep left leg) x 3 + 4 reps; 1 set of (1 rep + 1 rep right leg + 1 rep left leg) x 2 + 6 reps
Fire hydrants: 2 sets of 20 reps (alternating legs each rep), holding for a few seconds at the top of each rep

Chris Forbis
11-19-2009, 04:25 AM
18 November 2009

Deadlift: 5 reps @ 320#

Alternating sets of...
Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 165#
Pistols: 3 sets of 7R/7L

Alternating sets of...
Sternum weighted pullups: Five triples @ 12.5#
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 5 doubles

Oy! I feel like a truck hit me today. Later today I will do some glute strengthening/mobility work. I might drop in on the varsity basketball practice and play a bit with them.

Chris Forbis
11-23-2009, 04:49 AM
22 November 2009

Front Squat: 5 triples @ 180#

Alternating sets of...
Press: 3 triples @ 130#
Back extension (explosive): 3 sets of 15

Alternating sets of...
Kipping pullups: 3 sets of 12,12,11 reps
Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 3 triples

My mid-back is KILLING me today. I might need to tackle my squat inadequacies head-on and reboot with a back squat and start to build it up.

Chris Forbis
11-26-2009, 05:32 PM
23 November 2009

Warmed up with the bar on back squats, hip flexor stretching, and some unladen hip thrusts.

Barbell hip thrust: Sets of 5, worked my way up to 135#

25 November 2009

Warmed up with the bar on back squats, hip flexor stretching, unladen hip thrusts, and lighter deadlifts.

Deadlift: 5 reps @ 325#

Pistols: 3 sets of 5R/5L

Here's my roadmap for the future.

This Sunday I am going to go for a PR on my 1RM for deadlift. Double bodyweight is 360 and also my old PR (or maybe 365?). I'm thinking of starting at 340 (got 355 easily earlier this month). I may adjust depending on how frisky I'm feeling.

Then I will be on this rotation...

Thursday:
BFS Dot Drill
Back Squat: 3x5
Barbell Hip Thrusts: 3x5
BFS Dot Drill
And then I will drop by basketball practice and jump a little.

Saturday:
BFS Dot Drill
Deadlift: 1x5
Alternating sets of:
A) Weighted (dumbbell) pistols: 3x5R/5L
B) Bench Press / Press (alternating weeks): 3x5
Alternating sets of:
A) Weighted sternum pullups: 5x3
B) Ab-wheel rollouts from knees: 5 sets
BFS Dot Drill

Monday:
BFS Dot Drill
Back Extension: 3x15
BFS Dot Drill
Then off to basketball practice to jump a little.

There are a couple basketball games to play in (alumni game at my old place of employment, and a student/faculty game at my current job). After that, I'll be axing the dot drill and jumping and getting my problematic big toe checked out by an orthopedist.

Chris Forbis
11-30-2009, 04:24 AM
29 November 2009

Deadlift: Single reps @ 335,350,365,375(f),370

BW was 179 on Wednesday, so I'm counting this as 2xBW. Now time to work on my dismal squat.

Chris Forbis
12-06-2009, 07:06 AM
5 December 2009

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 155#

I've got 6 more workouts before Christmas break. The plan is to go up by 5# each session to hit 185# right before some time off. Coming back after New Year's, I want to start a 12 week cycle at 185#, lifting three times a week, adding 5# each week.

Chris Forbis
12-08-2009, 04:34 AM
7 December 2009

Squat: 3 sets of 5 @ 160#
Belted these thanks to 70's Big. Felt real good. Once I get close to BW I need to track down a video camera and get some form feedback.

Alternating sets of:
Back Extension, hands behind head, explosively done: 3 sets of 10
Pistols + 15# DB: 3 sets of 5R/5L
I lost a couple of the pistol sets on the right leg, but came back and finished them after the left leg. I'll weight the back extension with a 25# plate next time. I'm unsure if I would like to progress these to single leg or to a glute-ham raise.

Brian Stone
12-08-2009, 09:00 AM
You're mileage may vary, but my knees did not like linear heavy 3x5's 3x/week. I was fine for a little while but by week 5 things started getting bad. My squat form is not 100%, but it's pretty good I think, and if I remember right you're also tall like me.

Just putting that out there. If you're lucky this won't happen for you. Good luck.

Chris Forbis
12-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I'm looking to do 3x a week just because that is what Rip advocates.

I've had nagging lower back pains pop up before when squatting (and deadlifting) too often, but not knee pains. I'm planning on weeks 4, 8, and 12 being back-off weeks with only one workout of heavy singles. Between that and the absence of most everything but assistance lifts (for the 12 weeks) I'm hoping I'll stay healthy and recovered. If needed, I can always drop back to 2x a week.

I really, really want/need to get my squat in the 1.5-2x BW range.

Chris Forbis
12-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Tweaked a muscle in my upper back/lower neck, so I'm chopping some stuff out for awhile. Here's the plan.

Thursday:
BFS Dot Drill
Barbell Hip Thrusts: 3x5
BFS Dot Drill
And then I will drop by basketball practice and jump a little.

Saturday:
BFS Dot Drill
Alternating sets of:
A) Weighted (dumbbell) pistols: 3x5R/5L
B) Single-leg RDL: 3x5R/5L
BFS Dot Drill

Monday:
BFS Dot Drill
Back Extension: 3x15
BFS Dot Drill
Then off to basketball practice to jump a little.

Chris Forbis
12-11-2009, 04:34 AM
10 September 2009

BFS Dot Drill
The dot drill during the warmup is always slow as hell and I don't time it.

Squat: 3 sets of 5 @ 165#
Belted. Felt good and was relatively easy.

Barbell Hip Thrust: 3 sets of 5 @ 135#
I put the neck pad on the barbell so that this was a little more comfortable.

BFS Dot Drill: 65 seconds.
I'll continue working this for awhile, and I would like to get it under 60.

I forgot my basketball shoes, so no jumping.

Chris Forbis
12-14-2009, 04:48 AM
12 September 2009

BFS Dot Drill warm-up

Squat: 3 sets of 5 @ 170#

3 alternating sets of each:
Pistols + 15# DB: 5R/5L
Single-leg 2x35# DB Deadlift: 5R/5L

BFS Dot Drill: 63 seconds

Squat @ 175# and back extensions + 25# plate later today.

Chris Forbis
12-15-2009, 08:54 AM
14 December 2009

BFS Dot Drill Warm-up

Squat: 3 sets of 5 @ 175#

Back Extensions (explosive, hands behind head): 3 sets of 10

Finished up by shooting some hoops, played some practice squad for the girls' team, and dunked a little.

Chris Forbis
12-18-2009, 04:20 AM
17 December 2009

BFS Dot Drill Warm-up

Squat: 3 sets of 5 @ 180#

Barbell Hip Thrust: 3 sets of 5 @ 155#

Finished up by shooting some hoops and put some weak dunks down.

Kevin Perry
12-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Where are you at in Greenville? I remember you said you were moving out here. I'm in Simpsonville but take half my classes at tech in Greenville.

Chris Forbis
12-19-2009, 07:31 PM
19 December 2009

Warm-up: Hip flexor stretching, hip thrusts, light squats, BFS Dot Drill

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 185#
Belted. These are feeling quite good, better than I can remember back squats ever feeling.

Alternating sets of...
Pistols + 20#DB: 3 sets of 5R/5L
Single Leg RDL + 35# DBx2: 3 sets of 5R/5L
Forgot to do the BFS Dot Drill for time at the end. Alas. Pistols were rock solid.

I'll play basketball a few times the next couple of weeks. Jan 2 I'll do some heavy singles on the squat. Then on Thursday, the 7th I'll start with a 12 week cycle. Squat three times a week (3 sets of 5), start at 190# and add 5# a week. Every 4th week will be one workout only of heavy singles. A little bit of accessory work, but that's it. By the end I hope to achieve the 1.5xBW milestone.

Chris Forbis
01-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Squat: singles @ 195,205,215,220,225#

Thursday starts 12 weeks of squatting. 3 sets of 5 @ 190#, going up 5 pounds a week. Looking to hit a single of 1.5xBW (275#) or more in week 12. Hoo-rah.

Chris Forbis
01-08-2010, 04:20 AM
7 January 2010

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 190#

Barbell hip thrust: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 190#

My legs are sore in a completely awesome way today. We'll see how they feel this afternoon (DOMS usually kicks in after 24 hours). I'm due to squat again (same weights and reps) on Saturday. If I'm still feeling it, I might drop down 10% for Saturday...

Chris Forbis
01-11-2010, 04:48 AM
9 January 2010

3 alternating sets of each...
Single-leg RDL: 5 reps w/ 35# DBx2
Pistols: 2R/2L @ 20#, 2R/2L @ 10# x 2

I was unbelievably sore for this. I wore a belt for everything, which radically changed the pistols, making them far more difficult than normal.

Chris Forbis
01-12-2010, 05:32 AM
11 January 2010

Back Extensions: 3 sets of 10 reps, hands behind head

Still sore, but not as much. 190 felt pretty easy, which is good because I'm adding 5# next time out. Thursday and Saturday workouts are being moved up a day this week to Wednesday and Friday.

Chris Forbis
01-14-2010, 04:28 AM
13 January 2010

Squat (w/ belt): 3 sets of 5 reps @ 195#

Barbell hip thrust: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 195#

Difficulty getting to sleep and perhaps as a consequence I am pretty run down this morning. Perhaps my system is protesting the high (for me) volume of workouts? This was my fourth day lifting in the last week (heavy squats each day) and I am accustomed to lifting twice a week. We'll see. After Friday I've got a five day span where I will only lift once, so hopefully I can recharge a bit. Regardless, the squatting continues to go well.

Chris Forbis
01-15-2010, 04:27 AM
15 January 2010

Workout cancelled.

This was supposed to be a Saturday workout anyway, but I have a friend coming into town so I thought I would get it in by moving it up a day. The week at work has been pretty stressful and I am pretty beat down.

Back to the plan on Monday.

Chris Forbis
01-19-2010, 05:02 AM
18 January 2010

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 195#

Back extension: 3 sets of 10; hands behind head, explosive

Two days off, then 3 squat sessions in 5 days.

Chris Forbis
01-22-2010, 04:24 AM
21 Jan 2010

Back squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 200#
Belted.

3 alternating sets each of...
Pistols + 10# DB: 6,4,4 reps, alternating legs each rep
Single-leg RDL w/ 35# DBx2: 5R/5L each set

Followed by hamstring stretching.

Chris Forbis
01-23-2010, 11:50 AM
23 Jan 2010

BFS Dot Drill

Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 200#
Belted.

Hip thrusts: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 200#

BFS Dot Drill

Student/faculty basketball game next Friday, so the dot drills are back in for the week to get my legs a little more ready. Squatting and back extensions Monday, and then several days off before heavy singles on Saturday.

Chris Forbis
01-26-2010, 05:00 AM
25 January 2010

BFS Dot Drill

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 200#

Back Extension, hands behind head, done explosively: 3 sets of 10 reps

BFS Dot Drill: 67 seconds

The last dot drill felt super fast but was pretty average for me. This morning (26th) I feel like a truck hit me. By-product of 4 heavy squat workouts in a 7 day span, I suppose.

Thursday I think I'm going to run through Kelly Baggett's 7-Day Vertical Jump Cure exercises and stretches before heading to the gym and jumping a bit. Friday I will be playing some basketball. Saturday will be heavy squat singles, and then I will be resting until the following Thursday.

KB's 7-day program is fairly interesting, and seems to be mostly geared towards mobility work and such. Here are the exercises: http://www.jumphigherin4weeks.com/7dayjumpcurevideos.html

Chris Forbis
01-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Went to the gym and jumped some on Thursday. I had done nothing but the work logged here for the last month, which was almost entirely squatting (and other posterior chain stuff). Jumping was fairly springy, though my quads felt really strange. They felt like they nearly cramped on every jump and felt super weak in general. Extremely odd. I am unsure if this is because of disuse or the relative strength of the quads to my strengthened glutes/hams. It felt that if I continued trying to perform max vertical jumps that I was going to hurt my quads.

Regardless, today is the student/faculty basketball game. After that, there will be nothing but squats (and the other posterior chain stuff for assistance work) for the next 8 weeks. Saturday I've got some heavy singles on the squat. Then I will start my second 4 week squat cycle on Thursday.

Weighed in at 187 yesterday, which is an 8 pound gain in the last two months (though this is a little suspicious because it was two different scales). No real changes except for squatting properly and heavy (for me) for the first time in my life. Even if the differing scales are suspicious, I can still tell I've gained some mass in my thighs and glutes.

Chris Forbis
01-31-2010, 06:33 AM
30 January 2010

Squat: 5 singles @ 225,235,245,250,255#

3 sets of 5 @ 210 on Thursday.

Chris Forbis
02-05-2010, 04:36 AM
4 February 2010

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 210#
Second set was close to failure. Third set was easy. Weird.

Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 135#
Adding in a press each workout to work this stuff back in.

3 sets of each, alternated:
Pistols: 3R/3L,3R/3L,2R/2L reps
Single-leg RDL, 2x35#DB: 5R/5L each set

I am delightfully sore this morning. I can only imagine what I will feel like this evening (DOMS like to kick in at 24 hours for me).

Chris Forbis
02-07-2010, 06:27 AM
6 February 2010

Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 210#

Press: Sets of 5 @ 105,110,115#

Hip thrust: 3 sets of 5 reps @ 210#

Chris Forbis
02-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Scratching the workout today.

My knee is really bothering me. I might need to move to a lower squat volume. (One day a week with 5/3/1?).

Brian Stone
02-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Exactly what happened with me after my period of high volume heavy squats. Good luck with the knee!

Chris Forbis
02-09-2010, 04:20 AM
It feels exactly like something I did to it 5 years ago. I knew an orthopedist that gave me a free MRI (for putting up with his kids in the classroom) and it turns out that the cartilage surface on one of my bones at the knee surface (can't remember if it was femur or lower leg) was cracked. Nothing a little rest didn't take care of.

So I'm going to take a while to limit knee flexion to try to get it back to 100%. Then maybe squatting once a week? I've been reading the 531 Manual and trying to get some ideas.

Brian Stone
02-09-2010, 04:46 AM
I'm at 1x / week squatting after some knee rehab and it's worked out well for me. I'm considering adding in an FS day as well, as it's a different stimulus and generally less stressful on my knees, for whatever reason.

I'm still doing pretty well with linear progress at 1x/week lifting on my squat and other lifts without resorting to 5/3/1, so I've stuck with that. 5/3/1 uses lighter weights, especially during the first period, and I lost some squatting strength when I did it, probably from the transition to max effort 3-day squatting to sub-max 1-day squatting. I figure the 1-day ME squatting is a good compromise, and it has been.

Chris Forbis
02-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Knee is feeling much better yesterday and today. I have been babying it quite a bit. Provided there are no set backs, I will start working on flexion up to 90 degrees with stretching and such next week. I will likely add in some light deadlifts as well.

Monday I went to the gym anyway, and just did some bench press. I did AMRAP of 135# and got 15. From Wendler's formula, that equates to a 202.5# 1RM. I'm going to the gym today and will AMRAP @ 115# on the press. Then I'll start a 4 week cycle of 531 with those two while reintroducing DL and nursing my knee back to health. Then I'll see where the knee is.

Chris Forbis
02-12-2010, 04:17 AM
11 February 2010

Press: 9 reps @ 115#
From Wendler's formula this equates to a 150# 1RM.

Chris Forbis
02-14-2010, 06:58 AM
13 Feb 2010

Bench: 5 reps @ 115#, 5 reps @ 135#, 9 reps @ 155#

5 alternating sets each of...
Kroc row: 40# DB, 10L/10R
Back extension: 10 reps

My knee was feeling pretty good up to 90 degrees of flexion, so I did some light deadlifts. This was a poor idea. I guess I am now looking at several weeks of babying it. Back extensions will give me something to do for lower body I guess.

Chris Forbis
02-17-2010, 04:34 AM
16 Feb 2010

Press: 5 reps @ 90#, 5 reps @ 100, 9 reps @ 115

5 sets of each, alternated:
DB Press @ 25#: 10L/10R
Dead hang pull-ups: 5,5,5,4,3 reps

My knee was killing me the last few days. I saw the trainer at school, and she said with some confidence that my ligaments and meniscus felt fine. She told me to exercise and move to "pain tolerance" which is what I wanted to hear. I hate babying things. So I don't know what is up with it, tendinitis?

Chris Forbis
02-21-2010, 05:46 AM
20 February 2010

Bench press:
3 reps @ 125#, 3 reps @ 145#, 9 reps @ 160#

5 alternating sets of:
One-arm DB bench press: 10R/10L @ 40#
One-arm DB rows: 10R/10L @ 40#

I have decided that it was a bout of tendonitis plaguing my knee. Lots of useful threads here on how to deal with it. It feels much, much better. I am going to stick to stretching for the rest of this 531 cycle and reintroduce lower body work in the next four week cycle.

Chris Forbis
02-24-2010, 04:24 AM
23 February 2010

Press: 3 reps @ 95#, 3 reps @ 110#, 9 reps @ 120#

5 alternating sets of:
One-arm DB Press: 10R/10L at 30#
Pullups: 5,5,5,5,6 reps

GHR: 5 sets of 5,7,8,9,10 reps

I'll stick with the GHR until the knee is feeling better. 5x10 next week, and then I'll start adjusting the machine to make the reps more difficult.

I've been doing lots of foam rolling and stretching on my lower body to try and get the knee happy again.

Chris Forbis
02-28-2010, 06:25 AM
27 February 2010

Bench Press:
5 reps @ 135#, 3 reps @ 155#, 7 reps @ 170#

5 sets of:
One arm 40# DB bench press: 10R/10L
One arm 40# DB row: 10R/10L
GHR: Sets of 10

Chris Forbis
03-03-2010, 09:55 AM
2 March 2010

Press:
5 reps @ 100#, 3 reps @ 115#, 6 reps @ 130#

5 sets of each:
One-arm 30# DB press: 10R/10L
Pullups: 6 reps
GHR: 10 reps

Chris Forbis
03-07-2010, 06:36 AM
6 March 2010

Bench press:
5 reps @ 70#, 5 reps @ 90#, 5 reps @ 110#

5 alternating sets of:
One-arm 40# DB bench press: 10R/10L
One-arm 40# DB rows: 10R/10L

GHR: 2,3,4,5,6 reps

Adjusted the GHR to make it more difficult, which also made it more painful on the contact point of the pad on my quads. Oh well, I'll think of it as foam rolling.