PDA

View Full Version : Going Overhead

Clayton Mac
11-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Any suggestions for progressions or skill/tech work for going overhead in the Jerk? My clean is progressing much faster than the jerk. (I'm sure that's typical) I think part of the problem is lack of confidence but I also feel like my lack of vertical pressing strength might also be a limiter...probably one affecting the other:rolleyes:

Greg Everett
11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a lack of pressing strength be the reason someone's jerk was lagging - more often it's a lack of leg strength, or at least a lack of leg drive. Insufficient strength to support the bar overhead, yes. But the pressing motion itself only drives you under the bar - the legs do all the work of elevating the bar.

Clayton Mac
11-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Makes sense to me. I have increased my squat volume, so hopefully that will pay off. My FS best is 350 and best recent HBBS is 410. My best ever clean & jerk is 280. I have cleaned 300, but no jerk. I have jerked 295 taking it out of the rack. For some reason the jerk messes with my head...freakin ticks me off.

Any suggestions for drills/technique work that might help with the jerk other than me not being a mental marshmallow?

Thanks again for your help.

Greg Everett
11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Jerk supports and jerk recoveries are good for not only developing support strength overhead, but for building confidence.

Any time you jerk, hold the receiving position for 2-3 seconds before recovering.

Try jerks from behind the neck - perfect position and usually people can get more overhead this way, so another strength and confidence builder.

Finally, try some push presses from behind the neck from a split position. Drive the bar up with the legs, push it up wth teh arms a bit and sink back down into the split as you extend the elbows (kind of a push jerk in that sense, but in the split position).

Clayton Mac
12-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Awesome, thanks. I will definitely with those things into my program.