PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength book

Steven Low
11-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Hey guys,

I'm happy to announce that the book I've been working on is complete and available on Amazon!

Purchase on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1467933120/ref=as_li_tf_il?ie=UTF8&tag=eatmovimp-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=1467933120)

Description of the book:

Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength is a comprehensive guide to the most overlooked, yet most powerful elements of strength training.

In this book, Steven Low takes the reader on a journey through logically and systematically constructing a strength oriented bodyweight workout routine. With a highly systematic and scientific approach, Steven delves into the exercise physiology behind strength training and how to adequately prepare the body for the rigors of bodyweight training. Using the same rigor and attention to detail, Overcoming Gravity also includes recommendations for all bodyweight athletes concerning health and injury management. Unlike other books on this topic, it provides extremely comprehensive sample programming to assist in the design of a well-balanced routine, including information about the proper execution of the exercises and techniques.

If you prefer your books on fitness and health to include data, science and effective recommendations, then Overcoming Gravity is an ideal addition to your library.

Table of Contents and additional information. (http://eatmoveimprove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54)

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Patrick Donnelly
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Ordered mine this morning!

Grissim Connery
12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I hadn't been on any forums in a while. I'm glad I took a gander around again, might have missed this. I will order one soon.

Steven Low
12-12-2011, 05:23 PM
I hadn't been on any forums in a while. I'm glad I took a gander around again, might have missed this. I will order one soon.
Awesome.

Let me know what you think.

Steven Low
01-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Doing a reddit AMA on the book on Friday Dec 6th, at 1 PM EST

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/o17nl/ama_with_steven_low_eshlow_author_of_overcoming/

As always, feel free to ask questions here or then.

If anyone has read the book through also provide me with some feedback on what was (1) good and (2) needs to be improved.

Also, don't forget to submit a review. :)

Steven Low
01-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey guys,

Doing the AMA on reddit currently.

Feel free to submit some questions and upvote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/o5nn7/i_am_steven_low_author_of_overcoming_gravity_ask/

Joshua Williams
01-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Over the years I've really enjoyed reading your posts on forums and articles on your website. Always well thought out and very easy to understand. I just purchased your book and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival!
-Joshua

sarena kopciel
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Havent been here in a while but did purchase your book last week and anxiously awaiting its arrival. Actually told my coach about it this week too!:)

Steven Low
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys. Let me know what you think!

Steven Low
02-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Threw up a Beginner's Guide to Overcoming Gravity for the new people that are feeling overwhelmed at all of the information:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2012/02/a-beginners-guide-to-overcoming-gravity/

Feel free to ask questions regarding any of the material if you are confused or want particular feedback on certain aspects of training.

Gareth Rees
02-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I genuinely got very interested, and would be very tempted into buying it, tried to find it... And then noticed that it's not on the UK amazon :(

Looks impressive though, seriously well done

Steven Low
02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I genuinely got very interested, and would be very tempted into buying it, tried to find it... And then noticed that it's not on the UK amazon :(

Looks impressive though, seriously well done

Yeah, apparently our publisher doesn't have shipping places outside of the US at the moment.

You can buy it from Amazon.com from overseas although I don't know how much shipping will be. :\

Grissim Connery
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Lol even though I was one of the first responses, I was low on money at the time and totally forgot about this. I haven't been on here in a while, but now I'm excited. This would be a good change up for my routine. I've been stuck trying to get a one handed handstand for a while.

Steven Low
03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Lol even though I was one of the first responses, I was low on money at the time and totally forgot about this. I haven't been on here in a while, but now I'm excited. This would be a good change up for my routine. I've been stuck trying to get a one handed handstand for a while.
If you need any other help let me know!

Matthew Lucas
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I have become extremely fascinated about shoulder mobility, scapular strength, & wrist strength with regards to building some capacity for hand balancing. A former member of mine recently sent me a copy of this book and it has been great. Thanks for putting the time in to create such a useful resource. In combination with some of Ido's hand balancing drills, my handstand and some other basic gymnastic skills have dramatically improved in a pretty small amount of time.

Cheers!

Steven Low
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
You're welcome.

Spreading the word would help out if you know others that are interested. :)

Gareth Rees
05-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Yeah, apparently our publisher doesn't have shipping places outside of the US at the moment.

You can buy it from Amazon.com from overseas although I don't know how much shipping will be. :\

And now on Amazon in the UK too.....

I'll end up getting it some time soon for sure!

Steven Low
05-21-2012, 08:01 AM
And now on Amazon in the UK too.....

I'll end up getting it some time soon for sure!
Yup, my publisher finally made it available on UK and European Amazons last week which is nice. :)

brandon green
05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
If you need any other help let me know!

How is this book different than Christopher Sommer's book ?

Troy Kerr
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Brandon-

Steve's book is over 500 pages with 18 chapters covering everything from nutrition, lifestyle factors, programming, pre-hab/mobility, common bodyweight training injuries, as well as proper progressions for strength exercises. The most significant difference between the two books is that Steve's book explains how to perform each exercise correctly. For a movement like the front lever or planche this means Steve explains how to set up for the movement, proper scapula position for the movement, as well as proper muscular activation. He also goes into further detail to explain proper accessory movements to increase strength with each movement. OG also displays proper strength progression charts for every movement, as well as which exercises take higher priority in training.

Steves book explains every single detail in how to properly set up a strength training routine based on gymnastics exercises. Steve has always taken time to guide my training, and with receiving his book in December I am amazed at how far my training has progressed.

If you want to learn how to program and perform these exercises correctly, do yourself a favor and purchase this training guide.

Steven Low
06-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Pretty much what Troy said...

3 parts of the book focus on:

1. How to construct a workout routine
2. Health and injury management
3. Exercise descriptions and sample programming

brandon green
06-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Pretty much what Troy said...

3 parts of the book focus on:

1. How to construct a workout routine
2. Health and injury management
3. Exercise descriptions and sample programming
********** As an aside gymnastics and acrobatics have significant carryover to other sports. I personally saw the USSR Men's volleyball team play against Team USA
in the Old LA Laker forum in Inglewood in the 80's. This is when the US Men's team had the likes of Karch Kiraly and Steve Timmons. The Soviets in their warm up were walking on their hands and doing back flips and forward flips combined with a skill, such as a dig.
One guy, the setter, was rotating one arm,windmill fashion, one direction while the other arm was rotating the other way. Bud Charniga has stated at his site, Sportivny Press.com that it is"relatively easy to teach a gymnast the Olympic lifts".
Brandon Green

Steven Low
08-11-2012, 05:10 AM
********** As an aside gymnastics and acrobatics have significant carryover to other sports. I personally saw the USSR Men's volleyball team play against Team USA
in the Old LA Laker forum in Inglewood in the 80's. This is when the US Men's team had the likes of Karch Kiraly and Steve Timmons. The Soviets in their warm up were walking on their hands and doing back flips and forward flips combined with a skill, such as a dig.
One guy, the setter, was rotating one arm,windmill fashion, one direction while the other arm was rotating the other way. Bud Charniga has stated at his site, Sportivny Press.com that it is"relatively easy to teach a gymnast the Olympic lifts".
Brandon Green

Yeah, I don't doubt it.. most gymnasts I've seen have a fairly easy time learning the Olympic lifts