PDA

View Full Version : Jumping after deadlifting & cleaning?

Marcus Herou
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi.

It seems to be quite common in weightlifting that athletes either jump high or long right after squatting. Three jumps seem to be the sweet spot as well.

Q1: Does it make sense to jump right after a Snatch Deadlift or even a regular deadlift as well? It it makes sense what jump would be the "most bang for the buck"?

Saw an track & field athlete throw a med ball up in the roof 3 times as hard as possible right after his power cleans. He is pretty good and power cleaned an easy 160kg today so he does something right I guess.

Q2: Does it make sense in throwing a med ball right after cleaning/snatching/pulling ? I mean these are already pretty explosive

Greg Everett
11-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Q1 - Should be effective for the same reasons it is after squatting. If you can focus on opening the hips in particular in a standing vertical jump, it would probably pair even better with a deadlift or pull.

Q2. What would be the goal of this? I don't see a throwing motion being helpful, but I suppose it would depend on what you're trying to accomplish.

Marcus Herou
11-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Q1: Check! Implementing asap.

Re Q2:
Hmm I guess for the same reason as one would be jumping. If you are for instance reverse tossing a medball as hard as you can it mimics a jump very good and you extend your hips.

He throws sledgehammer so it could be something sport specific he is looking for. I must ask him for the reasoning. Sidenote he uses Broad Jumps after Squatting, guess it is for the simple reason that it is less logistics than using a box.

Marcus Herou
11-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Hammer throw I think is the right sport... sorry for my bad english.

James Evans
11-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Q2. What would be the goal of this? I don't see a throwing motion being helpful, but I suppose it would depend on what you're trying to accomplish.

Greg - I've seen GB rowers do this after snatches and wondered about it. Do you think coaches struggle to come up with a plyo equivalent/companion to a pull and stick this one in?

Kind of like this:

1a Deadlift
1b Box Jump

2a Bench Press
2b Clap Push Up

3a Hang Snatch
3b Um.......maybe chuck something light in the air

Greg Everett
11-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Re Q2:
Hmm I guess for the same reason as one would be jumping. If you are for instance reverse tossing a medball as hard as you can it mimics a jump very good and you extend your hips.

I see. When you said toss a med ball, I was thinking of a different movement than this. That kind of throw, I could see being helpful. It's worth trying.

Greg Everett
11-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Greg - I've seen GB rowers do this after snatches and wondered about it. Do you think coaches struggle to come up with a plyo equivalent/companion to a pull and stick this one in?

Kind of like this:

1a Deadlift
1b Box Jump

2a Bench Press
2b Clap Push Up

3a Hang Snatch
3b Um.......maybe chuck something light in the air

Yeah - Reading Marcus's post, I was envisioning a chest pass or vertical push throw... but clearly I just misunderstood because he was talking about a swing throw over the head, which makes perfect sense.

Marcus Herou
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Yeah - Reading Marcus's post, I was envisioning a chest pass or vertical push throw... but clearly I just misunderstood because he was talking about a swing throw over the head, which makes perfect sense.

Yeah sorry for the description of the throw. Yup something like a Kettlebell Swing or such but up in the roof 5m above with a 10kg med ball. I am pretty impressed by this guy :)

Camilo Velázquez
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
What weight would be the right one for this kind of drills, something close to your body weight or more close to your max regarding the reps performed?

Casually, I recently performed 3 reps bench @ my body weight followed by 3 clap push-ups for five sets 1 min rest.

Is this ok or should I concentrate in 1 rep max bench and 1 clap push up.

By the way I only train for fun but kind of would like to know if I'm doing it right.

Marcus Herou
12-03-2011, 11:10 AM
What weight would be the right one for this kind of drills, something close to your body weight or more close to your max regarding the reps performed?

Casually, I recently performed 3 reps bench @ my body weight followed by 3 clap push-ups for five sets 1 min rest.

Is this ok or should I concentrate in 1 rep max bench and 1 clap push up.

By the way I only train for fun but kind of would like to know if I'm doing it right.

I would say that you almost always regardless of reps and sets should use max effort.
However if you combine for instance Squats and Jumps then you should keep the total number of reps down or the purpose will be lost. For instance if you Squat 10 reps and then jump 10 reps it is more a conditioning (GPP) exercise than strength/explosiveness.

Think a few jumps/clapping pushups would suffice. I don't know if anyone knows the exact formula for combining drills like this.

I am pretty sure that 3+3 works at least. 5+3 works as well.

Camilo Velázquez
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the answer, I guess next time I'll go a little bit heavier.