PDA

View Full Version : Knee Sleeves

Clayton Mac
12-10-2011, 04:28 AM
Quick question...I've done some searching but can't find where to purchase a pair of those blue sleeves I see a lot of lifters wearing on their knees. Anyone know of a good place to look?

Thanks!

Manuel Buitrago
12-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Quick question...I've done some searching but can't find where to purchase a pair of those blue sleeves I see a lot of lifters wearing on their knees. Anyone know of a good place to look?

Thanks!

Here: http://jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?cat_id=RH

Clayton Mac
12-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was looking for. Any specific recommendations? What do you use?

Greg Everett
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
The old blue ones are nice, but I've come to prefer the new gray ones (7751 model). They're shorter, which I don't like because they tend to move more, but the thickness I think is better. With squats, the thickness of the blue sleeves can be a bit too much when it bunches up behind the knee in the bottom position and I think can actually irritate the knees a little. Doesn't bother everyone by any means, but I've noticed it myself and don't have that problem with the thinner ones.

Marcus Herou
12-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was looking for. Any specific recommendations? What do you use?

I use both. The grey one on my left and the blue one on my right :)

Clayton Mac
12-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Lol...Nice Matt...may have to try that.

I was towards the grey. It mentions that for a d tight fit to order a size smaller. Is that something you would recommend to prevent the movement?

Also, I am thinking of getting an elbow sleeve too. my left one gets pretty sore and takes some time to warm up to the front rack. Are elbow sleeves used much? Any experience with using them or should I just warm up more?

Keith Miller
12-10-2011, 02:18 PM

I was towards the grey. It mentions that for a d tight fit to order a size smaller. Is that something you would recommend to prevent the movement?

Also, I am thinking of getting an elbow sleeve too. my left one gets pretty sore and takes some time to warm up to the front rack. Are elbow sleeves used much? Any experience with using them or should I just warm up more?

Personally I would try and warm up more!! In competition you can wear knee sleeves, but NOT elbow sleeves. Something to keep in mind!!

Clayton Mac
12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
True...thanks for the insight Keith. I'm nowhere near competitive level, but still something to consider should I ever choose to dabble in it later. Right now I just enjoy the challenge of learning a new sport. Thanks again for the advice.

Keith Miller
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
True...thanks for the insight Keith. I'm nowhere near competitive level, but still something to consider should I ever choose to dabble in it later. Right now I just enjoy the challenge of learning a new sport. Thanks again for the advice.

No problem!!

And BTW, don't think you have to be "competitive" to compete in this sport!! If you keep waiting until you're competitive, you'll never compete!! So, I say to get out there and get in a comp, you'll learn alot about lifting, your lifts (weaknesses and strengths) and about yourself.

Clayton Mac
12-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Well said! Thanks again.

Matt Foreman
12-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a pair of the old blue rehbands that are thirteen years old and still in good shape. I think the biggest thing about knee sleeves is that you should only wear them if you really need them. If you can go with nothing on your knees, then do it. I've worn them off and on throughout my career and I definitely prefer to go without them, but they can be a big help if the inflammation demands them.

Pat McElhone
12-12-2011, 08:44 AM
No problem!!

And BTW, don't think you have to be "competitive" to compete in this sport!! If you keep waiting until you're competitive, you'll never compete!! So, I say to get out there and get in a comp, you'll learn alot about lifting, your lifts (weaknesses and strengths) and about yourself.

I second what Keith says. Treat a competition as a competition against yourself. Develop and stick to a training plan, make a certain body weight on a certain day, then lift a PR on that day. If you do that, you "won".

Good luck.

Clayton Mac
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a pair of the old blue rehbands that are thirteen years old and still in good shape. I think the biggest thing about knee sleeves is that you should only wear them if you really need them. If you can go with nothing on your knees, then do it. I've worn them off and on throughout my career and I definitely prefer to go without them, but they can be a big help if the inflammation demands them.

I've noticed since switching to a HB Back squat, my knees tend to ache more...assuming it's from compressing the joint more than I'm used to. Hoping the sleeves will help my knees warm up faster and stay warm. I noticed they recommend getting them a size smaller than what the chart says for a snug fit Do you recommend that as well?

thanks for the feedback

Matt Foreman
12-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I like them tight. I hate it when they slide around.

Clayton Mac
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Marcus Herou
12-14-2011, 12:33 AM

If you can do the movement without elbow sleeves without pain I recommend you do not use it. Less gear less worries

Nicholas Cruz
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
How would these compare to the Tommy Kono bands?