PDA

View Full Version : Homework contributing to childhood obesity, parents say

Allen Yeh
03-13-2007, 05:22 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200703/1869886.htm?tasmania

WHAT!!! Yes I'm so sure the 0.5-3 hours of HW(depending on grade level) is what contributes to childhood obesity.

It couldn't be:
1. Stuff these parents might be feeding these kids.
2. Letting them play video games/watch TV all day.
3. Not making them sleep enough.

This just burns me up, instead of finding external factors to blame maybe these parents need to look at what they are doing in their own house first.

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Wish they had that study when I was in grade school......would of helped get out of homework....

Next study....cutting budget for gym class and making kids sit in chairs for 8 hours a day not helping either.....that and the Candy Bar and Coke machines in school....

Joe Marsh
03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Not much of a surprise really. Parents have been looking for ways to shirk responsibilty for their kids for quite some time. My wife brings me stories everyday of how the parents blame the teachers for poor performance in school. Why not blame homework for obesity? It obviously is not because the parents are letting the kids raid the cookie jar. Maybe if mom and/or dad took some time to help the kids with homework grades would improve and homework jwould get finished faster. That way, kids can go out and play with mom/dad, stay fit, bond, grow up to be repsonsible people, raise their own kids the same way. Maybe this is too much to ask, sorry for the digression.

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2007, 08:40 AM
I read somewhere that this generation of kids is pretty much the most spoiled and demanding that has ever been....generation of parents growing up with probably not much....now having more money...and wanting to spoil their kids....especially if they are working long hours and not around....so they let them do whatever they want...and their kids are never to blame because they are most worried about hurting their feelings and not being loved by them.....can't wait till they all graduate and have to fend for themselves.....want to teach a person how to swim...throw them in the pool. At this rate our society will be so soft that even Canada could march down and take over.....especially if American Idol is on......

Ha....side rant....but too much fun.....

How is having an obese kid not child abuse?? No...can't spank him and put a little bruise that heals...but give a child diabetes and heart issues...sure no problem.....

kevin mckay
03-13-2007, 09:03 AM
My son is now 3.5 years old and I have developed a theory on this. Parents instinct to feed their children is huge. Children know if they hold out long enough their parents will break down and give them the "good stuff". I think if parents offered a plate of healthy stuff to a kid and that was the only option or the kid would not eat things would improve, but most parents don't have the stones for that and I admint it is hard. It traumatizes my wife, and my mother in law look at me like I am Satan. Then there is school, not sure what to do here and my kid is in a Berkeley montosori and still juice and crackers are considered healthy and I was met with funny looks when I suggested otherwise. It pisses me off that we are systematically lied to by people paid off by the packaged food industry, speaking of systematic lies how about Haliburton moving to Dubai ;)

end rant >

Allen Yeh
03-13-2007, 09:07 AM
It pisses me off that we are systematically lied to by people paid off by the packaged food industry, speaking of systematic lies how about Haliburton moving to Dubai ;)

end rant >

GRR Haliburton.....

Joe Marsh
03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
.....can't wait till they all graduate and have to fend for themselves.....

Mike, keep in mind that when these kids graduate, a portion of them will have graduated without learning how to read or write their own name. No Child Left Behind is taking care of that.

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Mike, keep in mind that when these kids graduate, a portion of them will have graduated without learning how to read or write their own name. No Child Left Behind is taking care of that.

Yeah,..another great program for not keeping kids accountable for doing any work...but that's ok...in the future computers will do all the thinking for us....and that's why eventually they will take over the world and we will live in a Matrix/Terminator reality...as we will become the weaker species.....now off to go live in a cave and hide....

Ron Nelson
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
as a publik scool teacher i cann tel you that are childrens ar in godd hands and dont need homwork. there parrents mak them fat with shugar and bad foods. they need to spent more time plying games and talking and no sitting on they"re fat assets doing usles homewerk. English is a easy languagge to learned they just need to try harrder

Oh, Haliburton pisses me off as well.

Yael Grauer
03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I read another study that said kids gain weight in the summer, though.

Joe Hart
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Here is my theory...Kids now days are not scared. When I was a little kid the Red horde was on the door and movies like "Atomic Cafe" were a possible reality. I paid some attention in school, partly because if I didn't have my shit in one bag. I could be totting a gun in West Germany or on the DMZ. So I used my brains to get an MOS in the military that I wanted rather than have it given to me. I remeber talking to my brother who was a grunt about T72 tanks and Hind D helicopters and crap like that. It was common to see the Soviets on the news rattling a sabre. Kids now days don't have the nuclear holocaust hanging over thier head. I suspect that none of them understand the difference between tactical and strategic nuclear weapons and the wide spread damage they can do. I loved it when the big deal was teh Neutron Bomb. Kils people but won't level the town. Not sure how that worked or if it was an accurate description. Some might point to terrorism as the new bugaboo in the closet, but the kids porbably see it as something that takes place somewhere else or it is a video game type deal. Maybe violence on TV has desensitized (sp?) people.

Parent don't drop the hammer on thier childrean as often as before. I know I don't as often as my parents did on me.

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Parent don't drop the hammer on thier childrean as often as before. I know I don't as often as my parents did on me.

The only thing that scares kids is taking away their cellphone or internet....god forbid a day goes by without MySpace....

I agree....which is worse....a spanking or a kid that grows up and can't hack it in the real world or ends up on the wrong side of the legal system. Not spanking a kid...(thanks Dr Phil society)...is like saying don't lift heavy or do anything that causes pain in your workout....oh yeah....that is working well for obese America.....

kevin mckay
03-13-2007, 07:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6442293.stm

Frank Needham
03-13-2007, 07:40 PM
OMG....this could be so easily turned back on those parents, whom I'm sure represent the 60% that are obese/overweight in this country, the following:

How in the Hell was it that you got that way?! It sure wasn't from doing your homework....we can tell that from the fact that you didn't learn anything in your PE/Health classes!

Jamila Bey
03-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Two words...

HOME SCHOOL

My husband and I will certainly do a better job of rearing and educating healthy, well-adjusted, INTELLIGENT non-sheeple children.

When they're able to present a well reasoned and aptly researched argument for going outside of the home fold, we'll likely allow it. Don't get me started on what traditional schooling has done to and for little Black boys. Won't be my sons!

Now to make my mother happy and start having a few...

Robb Wolf
03-14-2007, 07:06 AM
I read another study that said kids gain weight in the summer, though.
See! See! that's what you get for reading!

Pierre Auge
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Oh shit, you mean kids don't come that way? I thought thats just what kids looked like, all fat and stuff. Like the new evolutionary process had envisioned that we needed to be fat and lazy for survival.

Ron Nelson
03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Bet this kid was homeschooled and isn't fat.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2007/03/14/20070314-B4-02.html

Robb Wolf
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Two words...

HOME SCHOOL

My husband and I will certainly do a better job of rearing and educating healthy, well-adjusted, INTELLIGENT non-sheeple children.

When they're able to present a well reasoned and aptly researched argument for going outside of the home fold, we'll likely allow it. Don't get me started on what traditional schooling has done to and for little Black boys. Won't be my sons!

Now to make my mother happy and start having a few...

We did offered a PE program for the Butte county home school program one year. You see the absolute best and worst of humanity in that program. I'm really a fan of market driven voucher systems...I've had thoughts of setting up a program that is progressive in it's teaching but not lame in it's nutrition like waldorf and Montessori. I just need that clone...

Jamila Bey
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
You start a school, Robb, and I will move my kids to learn from you.

That's a threat and a promise.

(I'm talking to your clone.)

Yael Grauer
03-14-2007, 09:14 PM
You start a school, Robb, and I will move my kids to learn from you.

I'll come teach English!

Ron Nelson
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Yael,
Are those pot leaves on your avitar? If so, you're hired to teach English. . . and horticulture.

Yael Grauer
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Yael,
Are those pot leaves on your avitar? If so, you're hired to teach English. . . and horticulture.

Actually, it's delphinium staphysagria...but I changed it to one with the pretty flowers so it wouldn't be confused.

I'm not a pot fan.

(Original picture here:
http://digitalis.mobot.org/mrsid/QK99A1K6318831914B3/fullsize/QK99A1K6318831914B3_0508.jpg)

Ron Nelson
03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Me neither, I just thought it would be one way of connecting with the kids.
Pot just makes me sleepy.

Yael Grauer
03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Me neither, I just thought it would be one way of connecting with the kids.

I have a friend who's an old Deadhead. She teaches art, anatomy and physiology and science at a boarding school. She spends a LOT of time on mushrooms. It definitely keeps her students engaged.

Chris Forbis
03-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a friend who's an old Deadhead. She teaches art, anatomy and physiology and science at a boarding school. She spends a LOT of time on mushrooms. It definitely keeps her students engaged.

I keep wondering, "How can I make my class more interesting?"

I think I found the answer...

Yael Grauer
03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I keep wondering, "How can I make my class more interesting?"

I think I found the answer...

What do you teach again?

Pierre Auge
03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
What do you teach again?

Apparently POTtery

Chris Forbis
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Math, ranging from 6th to 12th graders.

Yael Grauer
03-15-2007, 01:48 PM
This book might be good for your sixth graders. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Paper-School-book-Mathematics/dp/0316117412

Don Stevenson
03-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm saddened that that study came out of Australia but at least it came from Tasmania, a weird place which we could perhaps disown due to it being an island.:D

Ron Nelson
03-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Heyyyyy, isn't Austrailia an island?

No man is an island.

Don Stevenson
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Australia is a continent and don't you forget it!

That means that we can afford to give away a chunk like Tassie without too many issues, perhaps New Zealand could adopt it