PDA

View Full Version : help developing overhead stability

Albert Bush
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I was hoping to get some recommendations on how to improve my overhead position. I am having a lot of trouble staying in a stable, locked-out position at the bottom on snatch/ohs. I think it's partly due to the fact is my torso drops too far forward and partially due to weakness in the upper-back/shoulder girdle.

I was hoping you all could suggest a few exercises (or other steps) that would help me improve on this. I am trying to do a lot of push presses, pull-ups, shoulder/thoracic spine/hip mobility, but am wondering what else is out there and what I'm missing as far as potential problem areas (ankle flexibility?). I am a beginner, 36 yo, with very weak numbers relative to everyone else on this board if that helps.

Matt Morris
01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Albert,

Post some video so we can get a good look at what's going on.

Also, someone way bigger and stronger than me once wrote, volume is the best assistance exercise...in other words, you could probably OH Squat every day. Get 20 - 40 reps on your off days with a broom stick. Take one to work with you and do a couple every hour or so.

Good luck!

Matt

Albert Bush
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks, Matt. I figured a video would be much more productive than general questions, so I'll work on getting one done. I am currently working with a coach that has some experience with oly lifting, but it is certainly not his primary background. I am going to have to start programming myself fairly shortly, so any help I can get from this board is always much appreciated.

Blair Lowe
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Sotts press? Or descending Sotts press.