PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Derek Weaver
04-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Close grip power snatches are good, and maybe better than wide grip. Except for when someone who doesn't know how to do them decides to start doing them.

I want to start video taping the stuff I saw at the globo, but I've been lifting at home since I got hurt.

Derek Simonds
04-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Close grip power snatches are good, and maybe better than wide grip. Except for when someone who doesn't know how to do them decides to start doing them.

I want to start video taping the stuff I saw at the globo, but I've been lifting at home since I got hurt.

I had to think hard about what to call the exercise he was doing. I am sure that what I named it was what he was after. It just wasn't what he was doing.

21 April 2011 Thursday

Last day in Boston.

Hotel workout: Grippers, push up plus, DJ Planks and stretching.

Derek Simonds
04-25-2011, 05:48 AM
22 April 2011 Friday

Man Friday was intense. I had planned on taking the day off but ended up working from home remotely the entire day. The only advantage in the end was I was at home when I stopped working. I will take it. Got a quick workout in before we headed to the lake.

DB Bench up to 50 LB's X 12 X 5
Bat Wings 25 X 8, 20 X 8 X 4
DB Curlz 25 X 12 X 4

Off to the lake to spend time with family and friends.

Derek Simonds
04-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Loads of fun at the lake this weekend. It was Andy and his sons (my workout partner) birthdays this weekend so there was good cheer all around. The weather was about as nice as you can get. The water was still cool enough to be refreshing and we had a nice breeze all weekend.

The kids picked right back up where they left off last year.

Laney getting right after it on her wakeboard. This was my favorite picture of Laney from the weekend.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qxw07o.jpg

Heading outside the wake. Laney told me afterwards that she crossed the wake 30 times and tried to jump it 5 times. Good to know.

http://i54.tinypic.com/m97t6e.jpg

Jr's wakeboard boots were way too tight and I didn't have a phillips screwdriver with me so he said that he would just kneeboard.

http://i53.tinypic.com/xfyg6x.jpg

This is my favorite picture of him this weekend. He launched this one.

http://i56.tinypic.com/11hyxix.jpg

Derek Simonds
04-25-2011, 06:11 AM
25 April 2011 Monday

Dog tired this morning but got up and got at it.

FS up to 165 X 3 X 5
P/U 3 X 6

GM up to 75 X 10 X 4
Press up to 135 X 2,1,1,1,1
Ab Roller 10 X 4

Quick and done.

Derek Weaver
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Sounds like a good weekend at the lake. Also sounds like today was a good day to get the reps in. I'm starting to come around to the idea that "check the box" workouts are more important than those where a PR is set.

That press is sick though. 200 lbs before year end a reachable goal?

Derek Simonds
04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a good weekend at the lake. Also sounds like today was a good day to get the reps in. I'm starting to come around to the idea that "check the box" workouts are more important than those where a PR is set.

That press is sick though. 200 lbs before year end a reachable goal?

I doubt 200 but I got my eye solidly on 150+. I am doing one press day heavy and one day with reps. So Friday I will rep out with 105 for 5 sets.

BJJ Fundamentals: Single leg, sprawl defense, sprawl to turtle, turtle to taking the back, RNC

BJJ Advanced: Prof Marcio announced tonight that he was coming home to downtown and would be teaching there full time again. Advanced class went all the way to 9:00 then we bowed out and lined back up again to grapple. Three techniques off lasso guard. Choke, armbar and omoplata. Choke is definitely my favorite. Prof Marcio gave me some details and had me put him in my guard so he could show me. That was the first time I have ever actually worked with him.

Grappled 2 rounds and just felt incredible. Went with another purple first round and got 3 subs fairly quick and he was talking to himself saying I got to work more so I slowed down my attack when we restarted and he punched me in the chest. I said what was that for and he said I don't want you to give me anything. I just smiled and said I would never do that. He knew what I was thinking before I even made the decision what to do. I guess I am a bad poker player. Finished with one of our blue belts who is the same size as me. He super strong and gave me a hell of a run. I was able to transition to mount twice and finish with an armbar off an escape attempt from mount where he rolled me and stood up.

Really good training tonight.

There was 4 black belts, 3 brown belts, 7 purple belts and another 20 blue and white belts on the mat. Just in black, brown and purple there was way over 100 years of BJJ experience training tonight. WOW.

Derek Simonds
04-27-2011, 04:08 AM
27 April 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll
B W/U

PC up to 115 X 10 + 6 Push Jerks on the minute

Bench up to 170 X 3 X 5, Drop set 135 X 15
Shrugs 115 X 12 X 3
50 LB DB Rows 10 X 4, 20 X 5

BB Crush 45 X 20, 65 X 20 X 4
Pinch Grip DL 95 + FB Pinch Bar X 5 + 5 second hold at end

Everything felt really good today. First day I could jam myself into position on the bench without any discomfort. It was hot and humid this morning. Prob already 80 and at least 90 percent humidity, hello summer. I am still sweating now after my shower.

Derek Simonds
04-28-2011, 06:13 AM
27 April 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as Monday

BJJ Advanced: Sames as Monday just different way to get the lasso guard. Grappling has been really good for me lately. I have been feeling it. Had another great session of grappling. I grappled with a guy I haven't in a while and was just all over him and then finished with one of my regular grappling partners and I got a guillotine from top half guard which was really interesting. I really was all over it again last night.

I figure that I am in a period of super compensation right now. I have had it happen a couple of times before and I really need to take advantage of it now while it is happening.

Derek Simonds
04-29-2011, 06:18 AM
29 April 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 185 X 3 X 3
Power Snatch up to 83 X 3 X 4

GM up to 85 X 10 X 4
Press up to 105 X 8,8,8,9 (PR for reps across)

I got to buy some dimes. There was a lot going on in the garage this morning and all 3 sets of 10's were in use so I jumped to 185 on the FS. Too big of a jump. Going back to 175 on Sunday. Main issue was that my knees were not in the position I wanted in the bottom. They didn't cave but I was not aggressively pushing them out like I have been.

Press was solid. I really wanted 10 on that last set but 9 was all she wrote.

Kevin Perry
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Good pressing work man

Derek Weaver
04-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Nice pressing again.

When you front squat, do you use a clean grip or arms crossed? I found that I could front squat a bundle more when I used lifting straps like a safety squat bar with the handles forward. Took the mind off the rack and focused on driving the weight.

Derek Simonds
04-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks guys. When I FS it is clean rack style. Important travel note. I am in Nashville Monday, San Diego Tuesday and Vacaville and San Jose Wednesday. If I am near any you west coasters let me know. I fly back out of San Fransisco Thursday morning.

29 April 2011 PM

BJJ Competition class: We worked an interesting way to get up from guard with a collar grip and then yank your opponent forward while going to top turtle. Basically it is like standing up in base. I think I could make that work for me especially if I set it up off a scissors sweep. Finished with a loop choke from sprawl top. Learned an important part which was where to stick your head so that you don't get smashed when you roll. Finished with a light grapple with Wes. I went for a d'arce, ezekiel and guillotine off from top half guard but couldn't get anything.

I found out yesterday that Prof. Marcio is Carlos Gracie Jr's highest ranking black belt. Kind of cool that he is teaching classes at downtown for a while.

Meant to post this yesterday. Laney (who is 9 now) did 9 unassisted p/u's yesterday morning. She has to be able to do 10 to make team. She started 2 weeks ago and is getting up 10 minutes early to do them 5 days a week. She will have it easily by the end of next week.

Arien Malec
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Damn, I'm flying to DC Tuesday night....

Derek Simonds
04-30-2011, 02:31 PM
30 April 2011 Saturday

When I got home last night I ate take out lasagna and garlic bread from a local restraunt. I was starved and ate a pretty good portion. Apparently something didn't sit well with my stomach as I had liquid BM's this morning. I was planning on doing a tournament today but that just wasn't in the cards. I made it through the rough times this morning and went to class.

BJJ All Levels: Trained a neat takedown where you broke their grip with both hands pulled them across your body and swam your arm in to a sit single. Nice movement. Went to the ground for some half guard passing, a gi choke from side control and a setup from the same position into a triangle from the mount. I grappled with my buddy Mark who has been out with pneumonia and went real easy. I also rolled with one of our female blue belts. Good class for me.

My stomach seems to have calmed down. I am a little shaky but no worse the wear.

Derek Simonds
05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
01 May 2011

And the pressing continues

D W/U
Foam Roll

Dan John Planks X 5

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 3,3, 135 X 2,2,2,1,2 (PR)
P/U + C/U + L Sit P/U + Ring P/U a ton

DB Curlz 25 X 12 X 3

Jr and I were in a p/u variant war today. I have no idea how many I did just a ton with him though. I did an L-Sit Ring P/U and held it at the top for 20 seconds which won a bet with him.

The press was nice. 135 is still super heavy but dang it I am making progress.

Spent some time in the neighbors pool then cooked chicken sonora for a house full of people. All in all great day.

Arien Malec
05-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Killing it on the press.

Derek Simonds
05-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Killing it on the press.

I am pretty sure that both Dave VS and Gant told me that to get better at pressing you need to press. It appears to be working for me right now.

4 May 2011

Hotel workout Vacaville CA

D W/U
Mobility Work

DB Curlz + Press 25,30,35,40 X 5
DB Crush 25,30,35,40 X 10
DB Shrugz 40 X 12 X 4

DB Incline Bench 30 X 12, 40 X 12,12,20
DB Row 40 X 12,15,15, 45 X 25
DB Flexion 15 X 12, 20 X 15,15, 25 X 20
DB Extension 5 X 12, 10 X 12,12, 15 X 20

DB Flyes + Prison Press 25 X 12, 30 X 12,12, 35 X 12
DB Bat Wings 15 X 8,8, 20 X 8,8

I didn't find the 45 DB's until half way through the workout. Could have used them earlier. I did some gripper work but I wasn't feeling it so I bagged them until tomorrow. My forearms and hands felt super strong just didn't like the gripper feeling for some reason.

Planning to do some lower body DB work tomorrow morning at the hotel before I hit the airport to fly home. Looking forward to getting home for some of my wifes famous tacos for Cinco de Mayo.

Arien Malec
05-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Hotel workouts can be fun. Vacaville, not so much :)

Derek Simonds
05-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Hotel workouts can be fun. Vacaville, not so much :)

Yep I love doing different stuff when I am on the road. I haven't seen much of Vacaville yet just the road into the hotel.

Just found out an article I wrote for Ryan Pitts at Stronger Grip was published. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.strongergripblog.com/

Derek Simonds
05-05-2011, 07:11 AM
5 May 2011 Thursday

Another hotel morning workout. Just a quick one today and off to the airport.

D W/U
Baseball Roll Work
Stretching / Mobility Work

Goblet Squats from 20 to 50 X 8 limited rest

SLRDL 30,35,35,40 X 8

45 Degree Back Extension + 8 LB Med Ball X 12 X 3
Russian Twist 8 LB Med Ball X 40 X 3

Surprisingly I am sore right now from the leg stuff. Not good seeing as how I am getting on a flight for 6 hours...

Eduardo Chile
05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
You going to class on Friday?

Derek Weaver
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Bummer you were out my way, but I'm still shaking this cold. Maybe next time you're out we can get a few people who are in this area and get a workout or something cool.

Derek Simonds
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
You going to class on Friday?

Yep for sure. Saturday as well. Gotta train when I can. Did you see the article and the pictures?

Derek Simonds
05-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Bummer you were out my way, but I'm still shaking this cold. Maybe next time you're out we can get a few people who are in this area and get a workout or something cool.

Get better and next time I am out there we will hook up.

Derek Simonds
05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Jet Freaking Lagged. That is all.

Derek Simonds
05-07-2011, 05:18 AM
07 May 2011 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: We did a group warm up then spent the next 45 minutes grappling. I was spent by the time I left the academy. I rolled for 30 of the minutes with Dan who is 265 and makes you work for everything. Finished up with a roll with Rich and worked all kinds of craziness.

Derek Simonds
05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
08 may 2011

Last night a guy from our academy was working as a bouncer and was stabbed and killed. A truly ridiculous waste of a good mans life.

Here is the article. http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/may/240800/Bouncer-killed-after-Orlando-bar-stabbing

BJJ: We worked several techniques to take the back and finished with collar choke. Grappled with one of our MMA team members who is the same size as me and we went at it. Prof Marcio and Fabio watched and said that it was a great technical roll. That made me feel good. Prof Marcio also showed me how to defeat the lockdown. Very good technique. I will play with it some more.

Derek Simonds
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
08 May 2011 Sunday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 175 X 3,3,3,1,1
Bench up to 175 X 3 X 5
Bat Wings 20 X 8 X 5

Press up to 95 X 10 X 4
DL 135 X 5 X 5
FG Rows 95 X 10 X 3

First day doing DL's since I pulled the muscle. Nice and easy. Everything felt good all the way through the entire workout. I took minimal rest and by the end of the workout I was soaked with sweat. In fact I ended up taking a shower and then sweating through my shirt I was wearing to church.

Another crazy week of traveling. Cedar Rapids IA, Bangor ME and Portland ME. Home late Thursday night.

I got an email and I might be hosting a surprise BJJ guest. Pretty exciting if it comes together. Also a friend of mine is hosting Robson Moura at his gym and they are filming it for a DVD. It is $60 to attend and will be a 3 hour seminar. I am looking forward to going.

Derek Simonds
05-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Not work out related but I am sitting in an airplane typing this on my new ipda2. Bizarre how fast technology is moving. I am Impressed so far by the ipad2. I can do 90 percent of what I normally would do without the laptop.

Kids and wife love it also. Probably going to need to buy one for Tracy. She really was into it. I might even go back to a regular phone. See how things work out.

Derek Simonds
05-11-2011, 08:55 AM
11 May 2011 Wed

Hotel workout
D W/U
Roll on med ball

DB incline bench 30 x 10, 40 x 10, 50 x 10 x 3
Goblet squats 30 x 10, 40 x 8, 50 x 8 x 3

Db flat flye 25 x 10, 35 x 10 x 2, 40 x 10
1 leg 1 arm db dl 30 x 10, 40 x 10 x 2, 45 x 10
P/U 3 x 5 plus full extension hang at bottom of each rep

Db curlz 25 x 10, 35 x 8 x 4
Db wrist extension 10 x 15 x 2, 15 x 20 x 2
Db wrist flexion 25 x 15 x 2, 20 x 2

Pistols 3 x 3 each leg
Tricep press down 70 x 12, 90 x 15 x 3

My upper back is a mess, all knotted up from stress and my upper back focus. I took the day off of any exercises that I thought would aggravate it.

I decided that I am going to push hard through Memorial Day and then take a little time off the first week of June. June is going to be an interesting month for me. I will be out of the office a lot. First 2 weeks I will be working out of the keys and the 3rd week I will be at the beach in New Smryna. Not on vacation per se but not a bad place to be working from...

Derek Simonds
05-14-2011, 04:10 AM
13 May 2011 Friday

Running on 4 hours sleep, emotionally drained from the funeral today and whipped from work. But...

BJJ Competition Class: I killed it tonight. We worked a leg over sweep that I like a lot and then a roll into a keylock which was cool but not one I would try. Grappled two long rounds with some good guys and hit some good transitions, positions and submissions. I was on. Now I am tired and trying to figure out what all I have to get accomplished in the next couple of hours.

Derek Simonds
05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
14 May 2011 Saturday

Whirlwind day for our family. Lots of stuff happening all around. Snuck in a quick workout tonight.

D W/U
Club Swinging

Press 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 3,3 135 X 3,2,2,2,1,1
FG BB Rows 95 X 8 X 8

FG BB Curlz 45 X 12, 55 X 12 X 3
16 KG KB Press X 10 X 4

Done and off to get ready for the Sangria Social this evening with my wife.

I got a call today from Christian at http://www.bjjglobetrotter.com/. He is arriving tomorrow and I am picking him up at the airport. I am trying to work out all the details for his 36 hour stay. We will definitely be at Gracie Barra Orlando Monday night. Other then that kind of up in the air.

Chile if you read this before I speak to you make sure to be at class Monday night!

Arien Malec
05-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Sangria Social seems highly civilized.

Derek Simonds
05-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Sangria Social seems highly civilized.

I think the actual name was Havana Nights Sangria Social. It was a good time and my wife was the best looking woman there. I stayed away from the sangria as I didn't need the associated headache today.

Derek Simonds
05-17-2011, 05:13 AM
16 May 2011 Monday

I am running on fumes right about now. I have been pushing hard on travel, work, training and time with the family. I was planning on going hard for the next 10 days but I think I might be winding down... Last night I got demolished at the academy. I really think that is needed from time to time to keep my ego in check. Well it is fully in check now.

Christian did a great write up on his visit with some cool pictures. http://www.bjjglobetrotter.com/?p=1857 I really enjoyed the visit and he invited me to bring the family and come train in Denmark over Christmas break. Christian is a phenomenal BJJ player and an all around great guy. I wish him the best of luck with the rest of his trip and competing at Worlds in 2 weeks.

We left the academy had a huge burger and then went home and worked out. I mostly observed but did a lot of ab wheel, pull ups and stretching.

I am going to sleep well tonight.

Derek Simonds
05-18-2011, 04:22 PM
18 May 2011 Wednesday

D W/U

FS up to 175 X 3 X 5

Press up 105 X 10,9,8,8
FG DL up to 135 X 3 X 7

Just ran out of time for the 5th set. Great workout in 45 minutes.

Derek Simonds
05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
19 May 2011 Thursday

Have you ever had a contentious contract dispute with a client, especially a large client? Whoo Boy that will get the stress level into overdrive...

D W/U
Foam Roll

FG Bench Press up to 155 X 5 X 4, 175 X 5
P/U 3 X 8
BB Crush 50 X 20 X 4, 60 X 20
BB Standing Wrist Curl 50 X 20 X 4, 60 X 20
Bat Wings 20 X 8 X 4

Well my brain is sludge right now. I can't remember what else I did. There was more, oh well.

By the way we have been having client conference calls with our disputed customers locations on an hourly basis. I have the senior management from our tech departments (support and development), 2 members of our field staff and several other senior account people all in our conference center. It has been interesting how each one deals with stress. The programmers are drinking energy drinks like they are water. I being an energy drink afficianado have had one with them. The field guys are pacing like lions and the senior account managers are sitting with their heads in their hands. Lots of fun for sure. Me, I am the guy running all the calls. I gotta tell you I am tired of hearing myself talk as of right now!

One more day and either we keep them as a client or we part company in a seriously bad way. Keep your fingers crossed.

Arien Malec
05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Once (previous job) had a customer ask us in all seriousness explain to us what a quality assurance program was. It was one of those "thank you sir, may I have another" situations, so we didn't dispute.

Derek Weaver
05-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Fingers crossed. Sent a PM as well.

Kevin Perry
05-19-2011, 07:11 PM
ditto with the fingers crossed.

Derek Simonds
05-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks a ton guys. So get this after everything was done and all the meetings I did with the individual locations they still didn't want to complete their contract until next week. Oh well. What's another 72 hours now.

20 may 2011 friday

BJJ competition class

Rolled for half an hour before class then did positional drilling and grappled for another 45 minutes. I really needed that. I was rolling with one of our blue belts who is getting ready for worlds and he caught me in a triangle with me in top side control. I never would have thought he could get that from there but he did. It was a nice move. Now I know what to watch for...

21 may 2011 Saturday

D w/u
Foam roll

Fs up to 185 x 3 x 3
Gm's up to 95 x10 5
Bat wings 25 x 8 x 5

Plate halos 25 lb's x 10 each way x 5
Press up to 95, 115, 120, 125 x 3, 95 x 10

Hitting the shower and heading off to bjj.

Derek Simonds
05-21-2011, 11:44 AM
21 may 2011 Saturday

Bjj all levels

Grappled a little before class. Did some fun stuff from open guard with foot on hip and opposite shoulder. Two sweeps and one triangle attack.

Grappled afterwards with several guys. I was able to do a sit back knee bar from an attempted delariva sweep and pulled off a nice arm bar from a really transitional position where both my legs were trapped and I was rolling, rolling and was ablento free one leg and ended up sitting on my opponents shoulder.

Finished with Fabio and I only got elbow locked twice in 5 minutes. Once I screwed up and the other he got while we were rolling in a sweep. It was a thing of beauty.

I took two serious shots to the gonads and am rethinking my position on wearing a cup in gi training... I thought I was going to puke for a minute.

Arien Malec
05-21-2011, 03:22 PM
I took two serious shots to the gonads and am rethinking my position on wearing a cup in gi training... I thought I was going to puke for a minute.

No fun. It is, however, useful to be able to take a hit then keep training.

Rather than wear a cup, you could always do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbFnWL4npaM

The first part is a different twist on sled drags.

Derek Simonds
05-22-2011, 05:30 AM
22 May 2011 Sunday

D W/U

Fat Gripz DL up to 185 X 1, 205 X 1,1, 185 X 3 + 10 Second hold
DB Incline Bench up to 65 X 8 X 3

DB Flat Flyes + Prison Press 30 X 10, 40 X 8 X 3
25 LB Plate Front Raise X 10 X 3
Black Band Pull Aparts X 20 X 3

Wow I am really happy about the fat gripz DL, 205 was hard and if I would have had to hold it at the top I probably would have lost it, but... I got it. That is officially over my BW. I was in and out of the garage in less then 45 minutes.

Check out JR yesterday at the annual spring show. He has learned a new skill on the mushroom called a Stockly. I think it is going to be an element in his level 6 routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1JrDQBprU

I am so proud of him. They also got a new boys coach who is working with the kids on strength. FINALLY! The coach told me that he thinks Jr can go very far in gymnastics as long as he wants to.

Derek Simonds
05-24-2011, 03:25 AM
23 May 2011 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: All side control all the time. Fabin was smoked and I could see it in his face. He was dragging the entire class. I worked with a guy on his second class. Always fun.

Business update... so our client was having their attorneys review the contract again... stay tuned, news at 11:00. The owner of our company could be close to Apoplexy.

There will be resolution one way or another on Tuesday.

Derek Simonds
05-24-2011, 03:32 AM
24 May 2011 Tuesday

Did I mention what happened to my ankle on Saturday? No, I didn't think so. I rolled it fairly bad leaving Jr's gym show. It hurt off and on all weekend. I didn't think much of it. Last night after running for warmup I looked at it and noticed that it was all swolled up. Not in a good way. No squats for you today Mr.

D W/U

Press up to 135 X F, so back off to 95 X 5 X 5
FG BB Curlz 10 X 4
Neutral Grip Chins 4 X 5

Feet on box push ups 10 X 4
Bat wings 20 X 8, 25 X 8 X 3
Lying tricep extension 20, 10, 25 X 10 X 3

As I said in an earlier post I know I am banged up and need some time off. June is looking to be a crazy month so lots of time off coming up. I am just going to do whatever I can between now and the 1st and get some serious rest.

I have been having pain in my left biceps tendon for a while again and I am pretty sure it is an overuse injury. Yesterday I read an article from Cressy about pain free push ups. So I tried it today and what do you know no pain. The key apparently is the feet elevated recruits more of the serratus anterior and that helps alleviate the pain in most shoulders. Worked for me.

Derek Weaver
05-24-2011, 04:39 AM
Bummer on the ankle. Good stuff on the pushups though. Maxwell had a good YouTube video on pushups and corkscrewing/rooting. Never thought about it from the cressey perspective though.

Derek Simonds
05-24-2011, 02:14 PM
2 items. 1 I think I found a new workout partner. He is a competitive rugby player and played college ball at WVU. He is younger then me and would definitely push me on all my lifts. 2 I lost that damn deal. after all the work I put in over the last 6 months of my life I am pissed not to mention significantly lighter in the wallet now. Basically the first 5 months of this year will now be gratis. AAARGH. But I am still employed and am thankful for that.

I was planning on some BJJ tonight but don't think that is where I will be heading. Oh well. It's only money let's go make some more.

Arien Malec
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Uggh. Sorry to hear that.

Derek Weaver
05-24-2011, 05:53 PM
That is a serious bummer.

Derek Simonds
05-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Does suck but it is done. So now back to my regularly scheduled enjoyment of life. I read in a pyschology book once about gamblers that lose money in Vegas and retell the story over and over. There was a connection in their brains somehow that even though they lost money they gained pleasure from the telling of the story. I chose not to be that guy.

25 May 2011 Wednesday

D W/U

FG DL up to 185 X 2, 205 X 1, 205 X 1 SDL, 185 X 2 X 3, 135 X 10 + 10 sec hold

16 KG KB Clean + Press X 10 X 3

Nice, quick and clean. Did some serious planning for this Memorial Day weekend at the lake. I will post the art work later today. I think some of you will really appreciate what we have created.

Derek Simonds
05-26-2011, 08:27 AM
25 May 2011 Wednesday

BJJ Advanced: It was heavyweight night and I was the lightest. Grappled with 3 dudes all over 235. All purple belts also. Some intense training. I weighed in afterwards and was at 193!!! Eeek I knew I had lost a little weight over the last couple of weeks just didn't know how much. I fill like I am moving really well right now and I bet the weight loss might be part of it.

Derek Simonds
05-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I have been planning on writing this post for a while and just am getting around to it. I decided to write a huge look back over the last 2303 posts and 100,000 views of my training log but I changed my mind. Why? Not sure. Mainly because I have kept this log and used it as my own little slice of the interwebs and when I was thinking about what to write I kept coming back to some really basic stuff. So lets start here. This picture is from the fall of 2006. Apparently out of 40 gigs of pictures I have on my puter I am not in many. I am younger and certainly a little less grey. I wasn't as muscular and I wore a lot of shirts like this picture to cover my stomach.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2954do6.jpg

Fast forward to last night after BJJ I was at my neighbors house and we were working on our Shotski (TM pending) for this weekends festivities at the redneck resort and he took this picture. I am substantially bigger all around. Even with me having lost 5-8 lb's in the last 10 days of work. Definitely a lot more grey hair.

http://i56.tinypic.com/29406ci.jpg

This log is over 4 years old. In that 4 year period of time I have had staph, bursitis, broke my arm, twisted my knee, had numerous black eyes, a couple of busted noses and more cases of DOMS then I care to remember. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. I have learned so much about myself in that same period while becoming substantially stronger. In fact I have more then doubled some of my lifts and definitely increased all of them. The first day of this log I pressed 70 lb's and front squatted 90 lb's. Last week I pressed 135 for I think around 9 or 10 reps over 5 sets and front squatted 185 X 3 X 3. Those numbers won't win any competitions but they do show continual improvement. My focus on FS and press right now will keep pushing those numbers even higher.

So what have I learned. Good question. Here are a couple of thoughts. None of these are earth shattering new answers from on high just my take on what we all do.

1) The big 4, pull ups, olympic lifting and some sort of cardio is all you ever need.
2) A foundation of strength will impact every element of your life.
3) Curlz is the correct spelling and they aren't a bad thing.
4) Rest isn't a bad thing either.
5) Your body can do more then you ever imagined especially if you work into it.
6) A good workout partner is worth 20 lb's on squat or DL day.
7) It is really hard to be a good BJJ player, competitive lifter and triathlete all at the same time. Pick something focus on it and enjoy.
8) Know when to tap, on the mat and in the gym.
9) Thank everyone you train with.
10) Understand your body type and the physics that go with it. Use this to your advantage. This goes for BJJ as well as lifting. You lift better high bar BS do it, you pull better sumo DL do it, your kimura is ridiculously strong because you have shorter forearms do it. Work what works for you.
11) Don't be afraid to try anything.
12) You are the only one that matters so test it and if it works for you do it.
13) Above all have a good attitude and believe in yourself.

I get asked a lot why I train the way I do, or how can you get up at 5:00 AM every day to work out. The answer is simple, I know I am making a difference in my life and my family's life with my activities. My wife is now a personal trainer and massage therapist. Both of my children are competitive gymnasts and love sports and they are growing up fast. Jr is going to be something else when he gets older and I want to be right there with him and Laney is already the best athlete in her class. I know the positive impact training has had on my life and I regret I started so late. I have decided to be the best role model I can. Besides I will need to be able to choke out any of Laney's suitors even when I am 50...

One last thing. I have met a lot of really great people in real life off this forum. Greg and Aimee, Scotty, MOD, Leo and Monique, Allen Yeh, Gant Grimes and Garrett. Several of these people I am now proud to call personal friends. Pretty cool to me that I can be part of something and meet such great people.

And that was my short version! Thanks to everyone who has read or contributed over the last 4 years. I think in internet years that is like a 100 or something. Seriously thank you guys!

Arien Malec
05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Excellent stuff.

Derek Simonds
05-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Excellent stuff.

Thanks Arien. I always appreciate your input as the other older, ahem, statesmen around these parts...

27 May 2011 Friday

D W/U
Med Ball Roll

Press up to 105 X 10 X 5 + 1 for the Ranger in the sky! (PR!!!)
Commando P/U's 4 X 6

95 LB BB Curlz X 5 X 2
25 DB Tricep Extension + Prison Press X 10 X 2

Yes I am excited about that press PR. That was totally unexpected today. It really seemed effortless on the first 2 sets. I had to work on the 3rd and 4th but not the squeeze your arse, grind that it has been in the past. I will take it!

Just ran out of time for the rest of the stuff I had planned. Today is the last day of school for the kids and Jr is graduating the 5th grade.

Derek Simonds
05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
A buddy just sent me some video of me training with one of our black belt world champions. It is only 1:19 long. There was more but I guess he didn't get it. I don't look to bad... but just so you know about 30 seconds later he armbarred, ankle locked and triangled me all at the same time. Not sure how he did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNUOUjUGug

Arien Malec
05-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks Arien. I always appreciate your input as the other older, ahem, statesmen around these parts...

Us old guys gotta stick together.

Derek Weaver
05-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Nice write up Derek. Pretty cool.

You forgot the also acceptable, but less widely used "kurlz" though. I believe this is the Queen's English spelling though.

Arien Malec
05-27-2011, 09:12 PM
One more "old guy" lesson that I think your writeup exemplifies: We have all the time in the world ... and we need it. Slow, steady, and determined gets it done.

That goes for weight loss, mass gain, GTG, whatever.

I should have learned this from DJ but had to learn the hard way.

Derek Simonds
05-31-2011, 06:42 AM
I spent the weekend at the lake in serious relaxation mode. Yes I wakeboarded, I swam with the kids, pulled more kneeboarders, wakeboarders and tubers then I can remember, probably had more adult beverages then needed and definitely stayed up too late but... I ate great, took naps all 3 days and enjoyed my friends and family immensely. It was a really good weekend.

We inducted a couple into Team Hot Beam with a scavenger hunt and ShotSki. What is ShotSki you might ask. Feast your eyes on this!

http://i52.tinypic.com/312bxci.jpg

I have a serious boat load of work to get done and then I am heading to our southern office for the next little while. Scheduled exercise will be sporadic and short when it gets done for the next month.

Derek Weaver
05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
I spent the weekend at the lake in serious relaxation mode. Yes I wakeboarded, I swam with the kids, pulled more kneeboarders, wakeboarders and tubers then I can remember, probably had more adult beverages then needed and definitely stayed up too late but... I ate great, took naps all 3 days and enjoyed my friends and family immensely. It was a really good weekend.

We inducted a couple into Team Hot Beam with a scavenger hunt and ShotSki. What is ShotSki you might ask. Feast your eyes on this!

I have a serious boat load of work to get done and then I am heading to our southern office for the next little while. Scheduled exercise will be sporadic and short when it gets done for the next month.

You're going to patent that and get the name trade marked right?

Derek Simonds
06-01-2011, 05:01 AM
@Derek, YEP!

01 June 2011

D W/U

Load the burb for time...
Press up to 135 X 3,3,3,1,1
Chin Up 5 X 6

Done and out of here. I will try and post some pictures of anything truly exciting over the next couple of weeks.

Arien Malec
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM

So awesome. Just do it after you get out of the water, not before you get in :)

Derek Simonds
06-03-2011, 06:09 AM
@Arien I am with you.

3 June 2011 Friday

D W/U

40 lb weight vest for 30 minutes average HR was 141. Did the fitness trail and cranked out some pull ups and chin ups.

5 rounds of

Feet up push ups 12 x 4, 15
16 kg kb rows 15 x 4, 20
Ab rows 8 x 4, 5

16 kg kb floor press 12 x 2
Crunch 33 x 2
16 kg kb curlz 4, 4
16 kg kb tricep extension x 20

Nice view for the workout.

Kevin Perry
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
that is Awesome

Derek Weaver
06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't even know how you would market that awesome invention. There is so much awesome going on with the Shot Ski (tm) that it's overwhelming.

That looked like a nice workout by the way.

Derek Simonds
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
06 June 2011 Monday

Real quick workout.

Press up to 95 X 12 X 3
Chin Ups 5 X 6

08 June 2011 Wednesday

Press up to 115 X 6 X 4
Pull Ups 3 X 7

Bat Wings 25 X 8, 30 X 6, 6
DB Curlz 25 X 12, 30 X 10, 10
Ab Roller 5 X 3 (man my abz and lower back are sore from all the time on the boat and in the car, yeah I know I am complaining...)

Feel good well rested and every time I go to the Keys and stay for a while all of my allergies go away. It is amazing. I have to post one gratuitous picture for you guys of the view from my office at sunset down there.

http://i54.tinypic.com/5m0ikk.jpg

Derek Weaver
06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
That picture makes me feel calm. And that's your "office"?

Arien Malec
06-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Very nice. I'm in random city with hotel and airport at the moment, and feeling very jealous.

Derek Simonds
06-09-2011, 06:49 AM
That picture makes me feel calm. And that's your "office"?

It is as the sunsets. Seriously though most of my job consists of email and phone calls. With my iPad2 and my cell I am completely able to do 95% of my job from any location. I took that picture and then was on the phone with a client in Hawaii for about 30 minutes. That works for me.

Arien I feel you brother, I will be in a random city and a random hotel next week.

Derek Simonds
06-09-2011, 01:05 PM
8 June 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: I think I was sweating 40 proof. Good class lots of weird political stuff going on so I only stayed for fundamentals. Competition class tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
06-10-2011, 07:26 AM
10 June 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench up to 175 X 5 X 3, 135 X 15
Chin Ups 5 X 6
FG BB Curlz 45 X 10,10, 55 X 12, 12
Flyes + Prison Press 30 X 10, 35 X 10 X 3

This all kind of flowed together. I was constantly supersetting stuff. So when I finished my 6th set of Chins I went right to curlz after my next bench set. I did a total of 8 sets of bench. My lower body finally feels good enough after the last week of travel and rough seas to workout. Tomorrow squat and dl!

I think that is my first real bench session since I pulled the muscle in my lower back. It felt good, no pain and I lifted fairly well. I will take it.

Eduardo Chile
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Seems like good news!

Excited to see how your sq/dl session goes! You were pulling some nice weight before!

I've been sleeping with an under armour compression long sleeve shirt and it seems to help with recovery. I'm looking to get some compression pants in the future.

Derek Simonds
06-11-2011, 04:53 AM
10 Jun 2011 Friday

BJJ: Competition class. Worked on two techniques for an opponent that is really resisting an armbar. One was the leg through triangle and the other was the double elbow shoulder lock. Both are effective if you can keep the opponent pinned.

Grappled 1 round with a super strong blue belt. I was able to pull off tons of submissions. It was almost like he was resisting so much it made it easier to get the sub. Finished with Zach who wanted to work open guard passing. Basically I learned that is a hole in my game. Pretty much he would stand up and get away from me and explode around my legs somehow. I only managed to hold him off for a minute the last time. Wow.

Derek Simonds
06-12-2011, 05:13 AM
11 June 2011 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll
FS up to 175 X 1 X 4

Well that wasn't what was planned. I got started working out and the garage was a total disater area. Tracy has a new personal training client starting Monday so I went to work. Ended up totally rearranging a whole bunch of stuff.

12 June 2011 Sunday

D W/U
Foam Roll
Press up to 115 X 7 X 3
FG DL up to 185 X 5
DB Curlz 25 X 12, 30 X 12 X 2

Pressing is a continual improvement right now for me. I am super frustrated though as my back is still bothering me. I think I pulled a muscle between my spine and scapula doing the DL's. So ridiculous.

Eduardo Chile
06-12-2011, 06:25 AM
I wonder if there is something staying tight somewhere and it's causing all your problems? How's the flexibility when you deadlift? One thing I do in the winter time is apply Hot Pink or Blue Heat to warm up the muscles faster.

The press is nothing but good news though.

Letting you know I'm probably going to do the Treasure Coast Classic in Port St. Lucie late August.

Arien Malec
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Slow and steady. Nice work on the press. I figure muscle tweaks are my body's way of telling me I'm being an idiot before worse stuff happens.

Derek Weaver
06-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Odd with the back stuff. My first though was something in the shoulder region being tight or weak and messing with your back. I used to get this kink under my scapula all the time before and for about 2 years after I had surgery. Different place it sounds like, but maybe a similar cause. Weak and over lengthened muscles on one side, and shortened, over active on the other can cause weirdness.

Hope it goes away soon.

Derek Simonds
06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Guys whatever it is I need to get it resolved. I am going to talk to my doctor and see what he wants to do. I have a curvature in my spine and am sure that what Derek mentioned is probably impacting it. Got a massage from Tracy Sunday night. It was fantastic and just what I needed. Then I got on a flight to Allentown and spent 12 hours in a plane over two days. Blah. Oh well.

15 June 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 115 X 8,8,5,6,6
Chin Up 4 X 8

Feet elevated push up 12 X 6
45 LB FG BB Rows 12 X 6
45 LB R,W,N X 12, 95 X 3 X 3

Is it me or is my press going up :D I rushed the third set and wasn't fully recovered. On the 6th rep in the last 2 sets I was kind of corkscrewing so I didn't try for any more reps. That was 33 reps vs 21 reps on Sunday. I tried to FS but getting my upper body tight made my back irritable. I actually played with a whole bunch of movements this morning to see what was good. Flat Bench, FS and DL were all no go's. All of the things I did gave me no pain. Right now after doing the rows with no weight my back feels the best it has felt in a week. Interesting how getting some blood flow to the area can help.

The pain is definitely in between my scapula and spine. I think it might have been started by the heavier sets of bat wings I did on Saturday. I am going to do some really light band pull aparts before BJJ tonight and see how I feel. Caution is still the word of the day.

Derek Weaver
06-16-2011, 01:41 AM
You have a curvature of your spine? Like scoliosis?

I couldn't find a smaller picture, but where is the curve? I am guessing somewhere south of T1?
http://amerilifegh.com/Thoracic-spine1.jpg

Derek Simonds
06-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Yep I gotta nice little curve from probably t3 to t10. I am going to get an xray at my physical so we can determine if it is scoliosis. I was in a real bad snowmobile wreck during a race about 15 years ago. I stuffed a jump and the rear spring compressed and when I went off the top of the jump it launched me right up and over the sled. I landed on my right shoulder and knocked myself silly. Luckily the sled went over me somehow. The first time that I went to the doctor for this problem he thought I had been in a car wreck. I told him same thing but different.

I guess I am amazed that I made it through life in as relatively good shape as I have so far. I have certainly lived hard...

Derek Simonds
06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
15 June 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ: Grappled with my buddy Rich who is coming back from knee surgery for about 30 minutes before class.

BJJ Fundamentals: We are moving on to the full blown GB curriculum. I know that at least I will get some really good stretching in when I go to fundamentals from now on. We did standing headlock defense, escaping headlock from side control and standing spider guard sweep.

16 June 2011 Thursday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll (my back cracked more this morning then in a long while)

DB Incline Bench up to 65 X 6,6,6,6,8
FS up to 135 X 3 X 5

DB Flyes + Prison Press 30 X 12, 35 X 12 X 3
30 LB DB Hammer Curlz X 10 X 4
45 LB FG BB Rows 12 X 6 (they felt so good yesterday I did them again)

And finished with my interpretation of DeFranco shoulder murder

25 LB Oly Plate raise X 6 X 3
3 LB DB Pinky up flyes X 5,7,7
3 LB DB Scarecrows X 5,7,7
3 LB DB Thumb up flyes X 5,7,7

Another good workout. I am going nuts not doing any lower body stuff so I went easy but did FS. All in all I am pleased with the results.

Derek Simonds
06-16-2011, 07:31 PM
16 June 2011 Thursday PM

BJJ: no gi for the first time in a while. Had a great night. Learned a really sneaky reverse key lock from top turtle. Brutal if done correctly.

Grappled 2 all out 10 minute rounds and felt great.

Picked up my best friend from MI at the airport after class and they are here now for a while. Gonna be a good week!

Derek Simonds
06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
18 June 2011 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 135 X 3,2,2,2,2, 95 X 12
Chin Up 6 X 8

Feet elevated push up 12 X 3
FG BB Curlz 12 X 3
Ab Roller 8 X 3

TGU up to Laney

KB Snatch up to 28 KG X 3 X 3

Lots of other stuff messing around in the garage, that would be the highlights though. Heading out to check into the condo for the week over at New Smyrna. I am commuting from there to the office during the week. Going to be a good time.

Derek Simonds
06-22-2011, 07:40 AM
We have been at the condo in NSB since Saturday and it is so nice. It is very hard to leave in the morning to drive into the office though. Here is a shot looking out of the living room.

http://i55.tinypic.com/e9jls8.jpg

I took the kids crabbing last night and we spent 2 hours running up and down the beach catching those fast little buggars. It was an awesome amount of fun. My middle finger on right hand is all clawed up. We caught the biggest ghost crabs I have ever seen. The one that got me worst, his claw was the same size as my finger. I was a little sore today from all that running around.

Derek Simonds
06-24-2011, 06:00 AM
24 June 2011 Friday

I did walking 10 last night on the beach with Jr and my friend from MI. I haven't done it in a while. Jr did it in 3:30 with some pretty decent form. A couple of times we had to get him to get lower but all in all he crushed it. Me, I managed in 4:30 and was pleased with that. Before we started Jr asked me "what is walking 10" and I described it to him and he said oh pyramids we do those all the time at gym. Walking 10 BTW is 1 push up and then get up and walk 30 feet and do 2 push ups all the way up to 10 and then back down to 1.

It was fun doing that on the beach with Jr.

I came to work today for one reason. I had a sales presentation with a hot lead. Well not so hot anymore... just got a call and there was a major misunderstood on the part of the guy setting the appointment. Darnit.

Derek Simonds
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I was just informed that there is video of me performing the Chapelle Holla Dating Service skit...

Arien Malec
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Must post.

Derek Simonds
06-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Must post.

I will review for appropriateness...

Sunday June 26

D W/U

FS up to 165 X 1 x 3
GM up to 95 X 10 X 3

Tons of KB Swings, Glute Bridges, Goblet Squats and other mobility exercises

2 Rounds of DeFranco Shoulder murder.

2 rounds of no-gi grappling

Derek Weaver
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Defranco shoulder murder? That the stuff from the T Nation article a few months back?

Derek Simonds
06-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Defranco shoulder murder? That the stuff from the T Nation article a few months back?

I didn't read the article. I saw it in a video from Diesel Crew. I will take a look on T-Nation and see if it is the same. It is really tough.

Derek Simonds
06-30-2011, 06:41 AM
30 June 2011 Thursday

I am a mere 6 days away from returning to what passes for normalcy in my life. This has been a brutal month since before Memorial Day. We have had multiple house guests (in fact tonight will be the first night that it is just my family in the house since the beginning of June), I have slept in 4 different locations not for work, traveled all over the state of FL, lost 2 huge accounts that unfortunately represent about a 1/3 of our yearly revenue and just generally am glad that June is over. At the beginning of the month I thought this was going to be the best month evah with all the stuff we had planned. Alas the best laid plans of mice and men... You know what? It don't matter, I will get new accounts, I am going to get to spend the weekend alone with my wife and the kids are super excited about going to Flipfest in TN. It's all good.

D W/U

Press up to 115 X 7 X 3
Chin / Pull Ups X 7 X 5
BS up to 135 X 5 X 3

BB Curlz 15 X 3
DB Tricep Extension + Floor Press 25 X 10 X 3

I had to get in and get out as Tracy had a personal training client who is very self conscious. BS felt great and that was the first set I have done since injuring myself 3 months ago. Yeah me. I went super easy as I have 10 hours in the car tomorrow.

Arien Malec
06-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Derek -- you have the big stuff working; don't sweat the small stuff. I've dealt with my unfair share of tragedy and heartache and I'm truly grateful for friends, family, food & fitness.

Derek Simonds
07-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Derek -- you have the big stuff working; don't sweat the small stuff. I've dealt with my unfair share of tragedy and heartache and I'm truly grateful for friends, family, food & fitness.

I am also truly grateful. I know a lot of people that aren't religious but we are and at every prayer lately I have offered up my thanks for the things we have. Thanks for the support. All of this crap will go away soon. I have to make some hard choices for work over the next 30 days and once I am through that I think it will be a lot smoother sailing.

Derek Simonds
07-01-2011, 04:45 AM
01 July 2011 Friday (beginning of birthday month :D )

D W/U
Lots of foam rolling

Power Snatch 45 X 3, 65,75,85,95 X 2, 105 X 1,1, 95 X 2,2
Bench up to 155 X 5, 175 X 5 X 3

BB Row 95 LB's X 10 X 6
DB Flyes + Prison Press 30 X 12, 35 X 10 X 3

I was pleasantly surprised with the snatches since I haven't done any in quite a while. At 105 I was kind of hopping my legs out instead of dipping down to catch the weight and I didn't like that so I dropped back to 95. I was very surprised at how strong the bench was. I didn't have a spotter and easily could have done sets of 5 at 185+.

Nice quick workout. Just over 45 minutes and I am off to work.

Derek Weaver
07-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't know if Tyson was the first to say it, but he made this little phrase famous:
"Everyone has a plan... til they get HIT."

It's all about how you roll, and it seems like you roll far better than most. Enjoy your weekend with no house guests.

Derek Simonds
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
05 July 2011 Tuesday

Simply a wonderful weekend. Very busy but man was it great. Traveled to TN to my sisters house Friday night and Saturday morning. Spent the day there. Did the 4th festival in Jonesborough, Hiked to the top of Buffalo mountain and had an epic cookout. On Sunday drove to Crossville and dropped the kids off at FlipFest. Tracy and I then had the rest of the day on Sunday and all day Monday to ourselves. It was wonderful. Almost like the anniversary that we didn't get to do this year. We played golf, ate, drank and had an incredible experience at Ozone Falls. Ozone Falls is a 110 foot waterfall that you can literally walk to the edge of and look over.

For the record I did win at golf, this time...

We hiked to the bottom of the falls and sat there for 2 hours. What was wild was that as we were hiking down a whole bunch of people were leaving and there was 2 other guys hiking down. They were carrying an indian drum and a guitar. Turns out they were fairly talented musicians. They sat up behind the waterfall in a natural theatre and the acoustics were awesome. We ended up being the only ones down there the entire time. Tracy said if she hadn't of known better she would have thought I hired them. It was that nice.

Here is a couple of pictures. This one is looking up at the falls from where we were sitting. The photo doesn't do it justice.

http://i52.tinypic.com/vy7i83.jpg

Here is Tracy sitting bottom left and you can see the guys playing in the back middle.

http://i56.tinypic.com/21e9u75.jpg

If you are ever traveling through middle TN this is a must visit!

Derek Simonds
07-05-2011, 03:22 PM
5 July 2011 Tuesday

Traveled to Bangor and got in a quick hotel workout.

D W/U
Treadmill @ 3.5 for 12 minutes

DB Incline 30 X 12, 50 X 12 X 3
C/U 5 X 4
Elbow rotation swiss ball planks 5 each direction X 3

DB Flyes 30,35,40 X 10
Feet elevated push ups X 10 X 3
Batwings 15 LB's X 6 X 3
Hamstring swiss ball curl + single leg lift and hold X 2 X 3

Tricep Pushdown X 12 X 4
Face Pulls X 12 X 4
DB Curls up to 40 X 7

Didn't pause much at all and was done in 45 minutes. Got a call while working out that I have a problem at one of our installs and needed to bag the rest of the workout. No worries as I was pretty much done already. Got calls made and situation under control. All good. Now a shower and off for some dinner.

Arien Malec
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
That waterfall is amazing! There's one in Maui that looks similar -- brings back fond memories from my honeymoon.

Derek Simonds
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
7 July 2011 Thursday

Some how I got convinced to do a tearing demo at my clients office today. I vertically tore a 1 3/4 inch phone book like it was nothing and then ripped 3 decks of cards in a row. My hands and forearms are actually quite pumped up right now.

That was the biggest phone book I have ever torn that way and I just shredded it. Very pleased with that. I need to work on my technique or strength a little more on the cards. I am slowing down on the last half for some reason. The first half of the tear is like butter but slows quite a bit in the end.

I fly home super late tonight and back at it at BJJ tomorrow and Saturday. Got word from my wife that she has given massages to 6 olympic gymnasts at Flipfest. Pretty darn cool. Her and the kids are going to take the drive home easy and won't be back until Saturday afternoon / evening. Really looking forward to next week with all of us home together and no house guests.

Derek Simonds
07-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I just looked into the weight classes for the FL State Championships I either need to cut about 8 lb's or put on about 4 lb's and have my conditioning improve significantly in the next 4 weeks. I am going to check my levels of strength versus conditioning over the next couple of days and decide.

Derek Weaver
07-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Same day weigh ins?

Derek Simonds
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Same day weigh ins under IBJJ Federation rules. Which means you have to make weight at the start of your group or your disqualified. Basically it means your first match of the day you weigh in with your gi on and either you fight or are disqualified. I would have to make 194.5 with the gi on. My gi is about 5 lb's so that is 189 for me. I was 197 upon waking. After grappling tonight I am going to cut the weight. Shouldn't be a big deal.

8 July 2011

BJJ Competition Class: I got there early and trained with a friend for 45 minutes. Then Fabio said make sure you are warmed up guys then grapple. I ended up grappling for almost 90 minutes non stop. None of my rolls were at competition speed but I was really happy with my overall cardio.

Big class tomorrow. We are going to start doing a unified class on Saturdays to build a sense of team across all 4 locations. Should be interesting.

Arien Malec
07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Cutting seems sensible. Weight gain over 4 weeks is going to be mostly fat; weight loss is also going to be mostly fat. If you eat LC, you can drop 3-4# in glycogen and 1 lb/week pretty easily, without even going to water weight.

Derek Simonds
07-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Cutting seems sensible. Weight gain over 4 weeks is going to be mostly fat; weight loss is also going to be mostly fat. If you eat LC, you can drop 3-4# in glycogen and 1 lb/week pretty easily, without even going to water weight.

That was my though also. Although I didn't know the numbers I have easily dropped 8 - 10 lb's in 4 weeks in the past. The big thing is I really need to make sure to work my cardio. I see some LSD coming up over the next 3 weeks.

Derek Simonds
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
09 July 2011 Saturday

GBO Unified Class: Class was all about competition and yes we had a live DJ and food throughout the entire event. We did some cool stuff with takedowns, worked a couple of neat techniques from the ground and then divided up into weight groups for an in-house tournament. I had to leave so I grappled 2 rounds with another purple belt.

Marcio is forming a travel team and wants to take us to all the major tournaments next year. He told me that I absolutely was going to Brazil. That right there is kind of exciting. I guess I need to get serious about being ready for the coming year.

Tracy and the kids got home at 2:45 and we are all so excited to be here and together. I just downloaded the pictures from the trip and there is so much cool stuff that we did. Pretty darn neat month all in all.

Derek Weaver
07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Cool stuff. Going to Brazil sounds awesome and is one of the places I've always wanted to see. One of my fraternity brothers in college was here from Brazil and said you can spend a month there and feel like you didn't even come close to seeing and doing everything. You'd have a blast out there competing, sight seeing etc.

I also favor the weight cut over the weight gain for what it's worth.

Derek Simonds
07-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Cool stuff. Going to Brazil sounds awesome and is one of the places I've always wanted to see. One of my fraternity brothers in college was here from Brazil and said you can spend a month there and feel like you didn't even come close to seeing and doing everything. You'd have a blast out there competing, sight seeing etc.

I also favor the weight cut over the weight gain for what it's worth.

I am looking forward to it. Brazil is definitely a lifetime goal.

On the weight cut, this might be interesting. This first week is going and the last week are going to be tough. I weighed myself on my ironman scale mulitple times the last couple of days and it keeps saying that I am right at 10% BF. I think it is off but not by 10%. So figure if I am 15% I have 30 LB's of fat and need to cut 9 LB's of that in 4 weeks.

All of my fat is right around my mid section. I am hoping that it will be easy to drop it. The reason I am worried about the last week is that I have had a trip planned to the Keys for my birthday and mini lobster season. In fact one of my best friends from MI is flying in to do some lobster diving and drinking.

Here is a photo from my TN trip with me sitting in the waterfall.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uxxxld.jpg

Derek Simonds
07-10-2011, 12:26 PM
10 July 2011 Sunday

Got talked into doing a beach boot camp this morning. Up at 5:30 am and on the beach working out at 7:00. The guy leading it really thought he was a DI. He had eye black and a boonie on. We must have done 400 push ups. Basically if we weren't doing something else it was push ups.

I played along and had fun. I was with a couple of buddies and one of them has asked me to go every month so I went. I also need the cardio so I figured it was perfect. We were completely and I mean completely covered in sand. There was not a part of me that wasn't sandy. He had us doing burpees, seal crawls, bear crawls, dive roll push ups, roll push ups and all kinds of other craziness.

It was an hour of non stop work. I got close to puking during the tug of war, which my team won but at a pretty high cost. Whew.

I will tell you that being on the beach kind of distracted a lot of the nastiness.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2r3hvh2.jpg

Derek Simonds
07-11-2011, 06:52 AM
11 July 2011

D W/U
Targeted Pain Ball Work
Foam Roll

BS up to 155 X 5,5,3
DL up to 215 X 5, 185 X 5

Press up to 95 X 5,5,8
Fat Man Rows 8 X 5

55 LB BB Curlz W,N,R X 12

All done in 45 minutes and soaking in sweat. I am working my way back into BS and DL's. Today was at about a 5 on RPE for everything. My workout partner is back and in some crazy wager to lose 25 LB's by labor day so he is focused. I pushed the pace and was glad to have someone in the gym with me.

Tomorrow I am going to do abz and some conditioning work. I figure 25 minutes at a steady state and then 2 X 5 minute finishers. One finisher will be the rower and the other is how many rounds of 10 swings and 3 p/u's can be done in 5 minutes.

Oh and about that weight loss thing... I know weight flucuates based on a lot of different things, but I got on the scale this morning after my sweat drenched workout and after having my morning constitutional and I was 199.7. I have been low to mod carb since Tuesday of last week this week is really going to tell the tale if I can make the cut. I am going all the way on LC and am training BJJ 5 times. If I can't make a sizable dent then I am going to eat and train and fight where I am.

Derek Simonds
07-12-2011, 07:33 AM
12 July 2011 Tuesday AM

D W/U
Pain Ball
Foam Roll

25 minutes with 40 lb weight vest + 5 fartleks for good measure. Immediately after with the vest still on 4 sets of planks holding for 30 seconds. That was kind of challenging.

Then 3 rounds of
10 24 KG KB Swings
10 Gaymes style push ups
10 40 LB sand bag bulgarian goat belly swings
10 15 LB bat wings focusing on really moving the scapulas.

That took 5:15 I could have gone faster but I think it was probably just about right for today. My workout partner did 5 reps of each and only got 3 rounds in the same time. Wasn't a sprint but wasn't easy either.

For recovery
Ab wheel of death 8 X 4
40 LB sand bag sit ups 10,12,12,16

And finished with a 5 Minute row that covered 1253 meters.

I was absolutely toast. In fact I laid on the garage floor for about 10 minutes before I got up and went inside. I decided I am going to finish all of my cardio workouts with 5 minutes on the rower to simulate going into the last fight of the tournament tired. I want to keep pushing the pace and see what I have left in the tank.

I figure this was a good combination of LSD and some interval work.

Derek Weaver
07-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Ab wheel and 40 lb sand bag sit ups? For recovery? Yikes.

Derek Simonds
07-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Yeah yikes was right. I think I might have over reached under carbed... I had no energy last night.

12 July 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class some mount escapes, guard recovery and armbars. I worked with two big white belts and helped them mostly.

I just wasn't feeling competition class so I bailed and went home. I got 8:30 hours of sleep last night and feel better today. Just got back from a brisk walk with Lucy and gonna cook some breakfast for Laney and me before I head into work.

Derek Simonds
07-13-2011, 06:30 PM
13 July 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as last night

BJJ Advanced: Worked side control escapes and drop seo nage. Grappled 3 10 minute rounds. I didn't have a ton of explosive energy but man I felt solid in my game. It was raining armbars tonight that is all I got to say...

Derek Simonds
07-14-2011, 06:25 AM
14 July 2011

D W/U
Foam Roll
Mobility Work

TGU 16 KG KB did a couple and my left bicep tendon is really hurting in the fron of my shoulder so I bagged this movement.

16 KG KB Snatch X 10 each hand X 5 so 100 total

3 rounds of feet elevated bosu push ups X 8
50 LB DB FG Farmers walk down the drive across the street and back (about 50 M's)
Planks R leg raised 20 s, L leg raised 20 s, normal 20 s

Nothing major but wanted to get my heart rate up a little and get moving. Got a real busy day at work but am going to try and and at least get to grappling over lunch. I won't be able to go tonight.

First real drop in weight was today. 194.5 on the scale. Gonna keep on keeping on and see what happens.

Derek Weaver
07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Cool on the weight drop. The one thing I would be a little concerned about is inadvertently digging a hole on the low(er) carbs and fairly high activity.

There is a small movement in boxing to cut very little weigh for a fight. So a guy who may walk around at 155, and trains at 145 may fight at 140. He may end up in the ring against a guy who is walking around at 165 and training at 155, effectively giving up 10 lbs, but his legs are fresher and he can do what he wants much easier.

Just food for thought while you iron out what weight you will compete at.

Derek Simonds
07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
There is a small movement in boxing to cut very little weigh for a fight. So a guy who may walk around at 155, and trains at 145 may fight at 140. He may end up in the ring against a guy who is walking around at 165 and training at 155, effectively giving up 10 lbs, but his legs are fresher and he can do what he wants much easier.

Just food for thought while you iron out what weight you will compete at.

That is what the IBJJF is trying to achieve. The way the weigh-ins works you are limited to what you can cut and still feel good. I am going to keep eating the way I am and see what happens over the weekend. It is an as I go strategy right now.

Derek Simonds
07-15-2011, 06:24 AM
14 July 2011 Thursday PM

I had clients in town and took them to dinner so I got in a short but intense grappling session.

Met up with Chile and we trained upstairs at the academy. Unfortunately the A/C is out and it had to have been over a 100 in there.

We trained 3 on 1 off for 8 rounds. First 6 rounds we rotated top to bottom on side control and the last round was closed guard. Like I said short but really intense. I need to work more with Chile this next 10 days as he is about 215 right now and that is a good weight for me to work against.

Derek Simonds
07-15-2011, 06:28 AM
15 July 2011 AM

D W/U

40 LB weight vest for 20 minutes then

10 X 40 M's as fast as I could comfortably go. It was faster then a jog but slower then a sprint. I timed one lap and I clocked in at 12 seconds. I was definitely running though and focused on landing on the balls of my foot. This took a total of 10 minutes

4 X 30 second elbow planks with 40 lb weighted vest. The extra 10 seconds on the first rounds was challenging.

Press 45 X 10, 95 X 6,7,7,8
BB Row 45 X 10, 95 X 10 X 4

I had a weird tightness in my neck and upper back so I didn't push it on the presses. Discretion is definitely the operative word for me over the next 3 weeks.

Derek Weaver
07-15-2011, 08:33 AM
That is what the IBJJF is trying to achieve. The way the weigh-ins works you are limited to what you can cut and still feel good. I am going to keep eating the way I am and see what happens over the weekend. It is an as I go strategy right now.

yeah, a small weight cut of 5 lbs can be achieved by skipping breakfast and fluids the morning of the weigh in, plus a trip to the restroom and you're good. A quick PB&J, some 1/2 gatorade + 1/2 water, and you're good.

Just don't pack a lip full Cope to get yourself spitting to cut some water. I have a not very funny story of a weight cut out of solidarity involving Cope.

Derek Simonds
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
15 July 2011 Noon

BJJ Competition class: Quick warm up and then 2 X 10 minutes with 2 other purple belts both of which were 215. Working with these big dudes is really good for pushing me. The first guy had a great post and bridge roll escape from the bottom. I really had to work to get anything. I lost my position a lot but was able to regain it. If it was a tournament he said I would have killed him on points.

Second guy gave me hell. He basically just stalled the whole round. He never really went for anything but he had a really good open guard so I tried a bunch of different things without killing myself. I almost passed a couple of times.

Good to work with the bigger guys I need it.

Tonight is a Rolles Gracie seminar and I am looking forward to participating.

Derek Simonds
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Here is an interesting article about the history of Gracie Barra Prof. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/12/2244523/history-of-jiu-jitsu-the-professors-of-gracie-barra

Being a GB homeboy it is pretty cool that I have trained with

Marcio Simas (that is my main instructor now)
Carlos Gracie Jr
Marcio Feitosa
Roberto Maia
Eddie Redzovic along with his brother Adem Redzovic in Chicago
I have trained at Georges St. Pierre's gym in Montreal and just missed him by one day

It definitely has been fun training at all of these different schools.

Derek Simonds
07-16-2011, 02:18 PM
15 July 2011 PM

Rolles Gracie seminar: I learned last night that Rolles dad who is Rolls Gracie was Marcio's professor. Rolls was widely considered the best Gracie fighter of all time. He died in a hang gliding accident in 1982 and that is when Marcio went with Carlos Gracie Jr (who took over Rolls school) and started training at Gracie Barra.

Kind of neat that Marcio's first instructors son was here training us.

All kinds of really good stuff. Rolles has really good stand up. He showed us some good stuff off of some power grips.

On the ground we worked a big guy power game. Rolles is 6'4" 250'ish. Works for me. My notes are in the car and I will update this post with them later.

Seminar lasted about 2:30 and I was totally spent by the time it was over.

Derek Simonds
07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
16 July 2011 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

DB Incline Bench 40 X 10, 50 X 10 X 2, 65 X 6 X 2
Fat Man Rows 10 X 6
Black Band Pull Aparts 20 X 6

BS up to 185 X 1,1,2,3,4,2
Ab Wheel 10 X 5

Big Mace + 5 LB's 100 revolutions

Drag Curlz 45 X 15

Squats felt great and I was able to keep my knees pushed out all the way through. I also got my New Balance Minimus MX 20's and I love them. I ordered a .5 size larger and got the EE. Amazing feel.

Derek Simonds
07-16-2011, 02:49 PM
16 July 2011 Saturday Noon

BJJ Competition: Really a good class today. We worked multiple ways to pull guard and I found a couple that work extraordinarily well for me. Did some cool stuff on the ground and then we went live with refs and points.

I worked with my friend Mark who is a high ranking Judo player and we found some stuff that just fit right into my game. I am going to meet him at his Judo Coaches house for some training tomorrow night.

It was good cause we got to start standing up and then play from there. I had a good first match and then I did a second match with one of the best guys in the gym and we agreed that we would only work stand up. Once position was established on the ground we would get back. We did that for 6 minutes and were both just covered in sweat. Amazing work today.

Derek Simonds
07-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Here are a couple of pictures from the seminar. The first I am in transition to an armbar from a choke.

http://i51.tinypic.com/5x4z6d.jpg

And here I am with Rolles. He is a big dude.

http://i53.tinypic.com/x3cpco.jpg

Derek Simonds
07-18-2011, 06:13 AM
18 July 2011 Monday

Took yesterday for a full rest day. I had nothing planned at all so we just kind of floated through the day. We capped it off with a nice steak dinner and watching the Prince's Bride with the kids. That was their first time seeing the movie and it was wonderful.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 185 X 3 X 4
P/U's with varying grips 37
Press up to 105 X 5 X 4

AMRAP in 5 minutes of
10 Bosu Ball Feet Elevated Push Ups
8 Bat Wings with 20 LB DB
10 40 LB Sand Bag Bulgarian Goat Belly Swings

I made it through 3 times + the push ups and bat wings

Row 5 Minutes
Finished with 1253 M's. During the row I imagined I was in a match and went hard for the first minute, slowed down some then would do 15 second to 20 second intervals to simulate really going after a pass or a submission. Then I would slow back down some for active recovery. I hammered it the last 30 seconds and then fell off the rower.

So about the weight thingy. It is decided. I am going to fight Heavyweight. I haven't had a processed carb other then 1 slice of pizza with the kids since July 5th. I weighed in Sunday morning and I know I was dehydrated but I still weighed 200.7 lb's and the scale said 9.6% BF. I carry most all of my fat right around my midsection and cutting out beer and processed carbs I know I am going to lean out. I feel really good right now at this weight in the academy and that is where I am going to stay.

Derek Simonds
07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
18 July 2011 Monday Noon

BJJ Advanced: Good class and we revisited an old move from side control that uses your knee to clear out the inside arm if the guy is playing t-rex defense. Once the arm is cleared you go straight to an inside cross collar choke. Pretty cool setup once you get used to it.

Grappled 2 X 10 minutes. First grapple with a buddy who is smaller and we just went at it. Very athletic role. At one point he went for a straight ankle and I was able to defend and do a sit and spin pass. That pass got some applause from the observers. I did catch an armbar in transition. I am finding that a lot easier to do. Second role was tight and technical. Guy is about my size and same level. Good all around roll and I tried to only go at 70% and work for sweeps and submissions.

Here is a picture that a friend took the other night of one of my all time favorite sneaky gi chokes from the back. In fact you can see that I am grinning while applying it...

http://i55.tinypic.com/2637ga9.jpg

Derek Weaver
07-18-2011, 02:47 PM
That is a great picture

Kevin Perry
07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah it is, bad ass

Derek Simonds
07-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys. Training is going really well right now.

18 July 2011 PM

Yep I am rolling with 3 a days...

Judo with Mark at his coaches house. The mats at the academy take a toll on you when you get thrown a ton so we met up at a Judo place to train. Much nicer. I have isolated my problem with Judo, it is the same with dancing... My upper body does not always want to move in conjunction with my lower body. So what you are saying is you want me to open my opponents arms, pull myself to him while pulling him onto the balls of his feet and applying all of my weight downwards on him at the same time I am again moving my feet. Right, got it!

We ended up doing 90 minutes of practice with a lot of uchi komi's (I think) which is basically just entry practice to try and get my feet to move along with my upper body.

We did about 15 minutes of randori and I practiced the moves we have been working over the last month. I am feeling better about stand up just not certain I want to stay there long.

Derek Simonds
07-19-2011, 07:08 AM
19 July 2011 AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

40 LB Weight Vest 25 minutes pushing the pace walking. Then 10 X 40 M's sprints. Ended up with a total of 35 minutes at an average HR of 125. With the vest on I did 3 planks from elbows at 30 seconds and one from hands for 40 seconds. After last plank my HR was 137 I took the vest off and my HR was down to 119 in 47 seconds. I was pleased with that.

5 X 4 TGU SU's w/ 16 KG KB each hand
Run the rack DB Curlz up to 50 X 1 then drop to 25 X 10

Ab roller focused on pushing hips through first like in Cressey video yesterday did 10 X 4 http://ericcressey.com/rollouts-friend-or-foe
20 LB DB Lying Tricep Extension X 10 + Floor Press X 12 X 4

Good combination of conditioning, abz and a little arm work.

Derek Simonds
07-19-2011, 06:19 PM
19 July 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked some standup escapes, side control escapes and arm triangle.

BJJ Advanced: Worked on takedowns for warm up, a great choke from knee on belly and then grappled. Grappled with one of our really big purple belts and had a good roll then went with a super strong and aggressive blue belt. He neck cranked the ever loving bejeesus out of me. I tapped loud and hard right as my jaw popped loud enough for him to hear. Wow that sucked.

Just wasn't feeling explosive tonight. I really think I may have severely over estimated my ability to recover the last couple of days...

I am going by feel tomorrow. If I wake up I will do some strength work, if I don't I will skip and see how I feel for BJJ tomorrow night.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
20 July 2011 AM

Foam Roll
D W/U

DL up to 225 X 5

I woke up my HR was 59 and I felt ok but didn't want to push it. I really focused on form and pulling back with my lats squeezed tight.

There is a serious summer time cold going around the office and the academy. I have felt crunchy in the back of my throat the last couple of days so I am being doubly cautious.

Starting tomorrow my daughter is in the North American Miss competition. It lasts 3 days and there are events all day long starting tomorrow at 4:00. Luckily my wife is very engaged and all I will have to do is show up and support Laney.

Derek Simonds
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
25 July 2011 Monday

I caught that damn cold. I didn't train at all since the last entry in my log. Just tried to be smart and not Weaver myself. I do love that Derek's last name is now a verb.

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 8,8,10,8
BS up to 185 X 2,3,3,3
Chin Ups 5 X 5

Some DB Arm stuff and off to work.

Derek Weaver
07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
I didn't train at all since the last entry in my log. Just tried to be smart and not Weaver myself. I do love that Derek's last name is now a verb.

You and I both. If that's the legacy I leave, I'm happy with that. Bummer about the cold.

Eduardo Chile
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Sucks about the cold. Hope you kick it soon. I've had good success taking 2000 mg of vitamin C multiple times a day.

Let me know if you're doing BJJ this week.

Derek Simonds
08-04-2011, 06:38 AM
3 August 2011 Thursday

I am BACK!!!! And to quote my my good friend LL "Don't call it a comeback" That cold ended up being an absolute bear. I was as sick from that as I have been in a many years. It appears to have been viral as I never got the green snot of a bacterial infection. As I was recovering from the cold I went to the Keys for my birthday and mini lobster season. Unfortunately the wind was ripping 20+ knots for the first 4 days and we didn't get to do much lobstering.

We did however drink mucho tequila, eat very well and just generally enjoy life in the tropics. Saturday I drove my friend back to the airport and picked up my kids and we went back for another 3 days. I love hanging in the Keys with the kids. They have so much fun. We snorkeled, fished, kayaked, stated up late and ate whatever we wanted. Here are a couple of pictures.

Here is me with a really nice snook that I caught on Friday.

http://i56.tinypic.com/280pkcn.jpg

Lane Dawg and Jr heading out snorkeling. I was proud of Jr he was getting to the bottom in 20 feet of water pretty consistently this year. You can see by the color of the water that it was really stirred up.

http://i55.tinypic.com/w00waf.jpg

Jr in the middle of a nice 1 1/2 off the tower of the boat.

http://i55.tinypic.com/23vccqc.jpg

A manatee cow and her calf swam right up to the dock while we were night fishing.

http://i51.tinypic.com/t5srd2.jpg

Derek Simonds
08-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Me and my friend heading out to do some kayak fishing. I seriously paddled at least 2 hours a day every day so I am counting that as some sort of cardio...

http://i53.tinypic.com/s60vf5.jpg

Lane Dawg with one of her Mangrove Snappers. She takes her fishing seriously can you tell.

http://i53.tinypic.com/348r6yv.jpg

And finally here is Jr with one of the many Mangrove Snappers he was catching.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2db6m8x.jpg

I really enjoyed this trip and had a lot of time for reflection. I came away with some new goals for family, work and fitness and I am looking forward to the remainder of the year.

Derek Simonds
08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
03 August 2011 Thursday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 5 X 3
DL up to 185 X 5 X 3, 205 X 5

3 rounds of
95 LB Power Clean X 3
Pull Ups X 5
Feet Elevated Push Ups X 10
All done in 3:23

45 LB BB Curlz W,N,R X 12 each

I finished unloading the burb and cleaning up the garage while I was working out. Nice feeling to be back in the gym.

Derek Simonds
08-04-2011, 06:58 AM
So about those fitness goals. Here they are.

1) To run a fast and pain free 5K with my family in October and November.
2) 3/4 BW Press. At my current BW that should be somewhere between 145 and 150 LB's. I probably was there right before I hurt my back. Now not so much.
3) 15 consecutive pull ups and 15 reps bench press at my BW. This is from a Dan John article where he said that this a great strength benchmark for a combat athlete.
4) No specific goal but linear progression on DL, FS and BS again focusing on pain free.

I am going to attain all of those by the end of the year.

Quick funny story from the Keys. One of the people that was there is a big time xFitter. I mean she is all about it. Apparently she has been doing it for about 2 years. She is in great shape from it. Somehow after multiple shots of tequila and a double espresso I got talked into a first to 50 burpee race. I did it in 3:47 and didn't puke which was my main goal. She beat me by 20 seconds though. I went out of the gate too hard or I would have got her...

Lets just say that a first to 50 burpee race on multiple shots of tequila leaves a little to be desired.

Arien Malec
08-04-2011, 11:10 AM
So about those fitness goals. Here they are.

1) To run a fast and pain free 5K with my family in October and November.
2) 3/4 BW Press. At my current BW that should be somewhere between 145 and 150 LB's. I probably was there right before I hurt my back. Now not so much.
3) 15 consecutive pull ups and 15 reps bench press at my BW. This is from a Dan John article where he said that this a great strength benchmark for a combat athlete.
4) No specific goal but linear progression on DL, FS and BS again focusing on pain free.

Totally achievable, depending on what you mean by "fast" for the 5K. You doing something like 5/3/1 + running and conditioning to get there?

By "linear progression" you mean "higher at EOY than now", yes? Rather than workout to workout linear progression?

Lets just say that a first to 50 burpee race on multiple shots of tequila leaves a little to be desired.

I feel sick just thinking about it.

Derek Simonds
08-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Totally achievable, depending on what you mean by "fast" for the 5K. You doing something like 5/3/1 + running and conditioning to get there?

By "linear progression" you mean "higher at EOY than now", yes? Rather than workout to workout linear progression?

I feel sick just thinking about it.

Fast for me means keeping up with Jr. He has ran in the low 25 minute range the last two years. I would ideally like to be able to pace him in the 24 minute range. I am going to run one day LSD and one day sprints. The LSD day is a dual purpose day. My wife runs and we will run together. I am always looking for ways to do stuff with her and she is excited about that.

Yes higher at the end of the year then now. I didn't want to set a specific goal on those lifts. I really like linear progression but what I have found is when I start getting into serious (for me) weights it limits my recovery and ability to train BJJ hard. This next year is going to be my big year for BJJ competitions and I am trying to find the right mix of work to make me the best athlete possible.

Arien Malec
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
7.75 minute mile -- totally doable. Hill sprints FTW on your sprint day, if you have access to them. That and sled pushes could do double duty for BJJ conditioning as well.

Derek Simonds
08-05-2011, 05:59 AM
7.75 minute mile -- totally doable. Hill sprints FTW on your sprint day, if you have access to them. That and sled pushes could do double duty for BJJ conditioning as well.

My thoughts persactly!

Derek Simonds
08-05-2011, 06:00 AM
5 August 2011 Friday

D W/U

FS up to 135 X 3 X 5, 185 X 1
DB Incline Bench 40 X 12, 45 X 10, 50 X 10 X 4
DB Row 40 X 12 X 5

Drag Curlz 45 X 15

Foam Roll and Stretch. Nice and quick. Did the 185 just for fun to see how it felt. It felt good.

Derek Weaver
08-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Looks like a great trip. Welcome back and happy birthday.

Derek Simonds
08-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Looks like a great trip. Welcome back and happy birthday.

Thanks man.

6 August 2011 Saturday night

We got into a feat of strengths challenge at the lake with all the kids and adults. I held a planche (elbows on hips) for 10 seconds to win the adult division :D Delaney smoked all the kids. She is really good at that skill. We also did zercher box squats with all the dogs and kids. The kids loved it not so sure about the dogs though...

7 August 2011 Sunday

Ran / Walked 2 miles with my wife. Slow pace just making sure that the tendons and ligaments are going to get into the groove with me. Had a little bit of pain but would stretch and then resume.

Arien Malec
08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Strongest family in FL!

Good call on the run/walk; I used to be a runner, and I always blast into it, then regret it.

Derek Simonds
08-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Strongest family in FL!

Good call on the run/walk; I used to be a runner, and I always blast into it, then regret it.

I think that is the hardest thing for me. I don't feel taxed aerobically but if I run to far or too hard up front I pay for it in my tendons. I guess linear progression is good for everything...

09 AUGUST 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 145 X 5 X 3, 195 X 1
Press up to 100 X 5 X 3, 120 X 1
P/U 3,4,4,4,5

Ab Wheel O'Death an easy 10 X 3
Drag Curlz 45 LB BB X 18

I am amazed at how easy the ab wheel was. I probably could have done sets of 20. I guess some direct ab work is paying off. The squats and press were all right where I wanted them to be.

I am loving my new, New Balance MX20's. They seem to be the perfect shoe for BS and DL plus I can actually run in them. So far so good.

Crazy 3 days starting today. Meetings in Ft Lauderdale at 2:00, Flight to Chicago at 7:30, meetings at 3 different locations in Chicago and then off to Albany NY for meetings Thursday and a flight home. I think I will cue up some theme music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onjaC3A2xjk&ob=av2e

Arien Malec
08-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Been there on the travel. Uggh. For the ab wheels, have you ever tried the Dan John trick of using a bar loaded with 135# as an ab wheel? Totally worth it.

Derek Weaver
08-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Good luck on the travel. On the ab wheel, you can also save space and start working on doing them from your knees. Or up an incline if you've got it.

Good stuff on the New Balance shoes too. I have liked the look of their new minimalist line.

Derek Simonds
08-13-2011, 05:56 PM
12 August Friday 2011

D W/U

DL up to 185 X 5 X 3, 225 X 5
Bench up to 135 X 5 X 3, 185 X 1, 135 X 10

Some other shiznitty that I forgot.

13 August 2011 Saturday

D W/U

FS up to 145 X 3 X 5, 195 X 1
GM 75 X 10 X 4
RDL 75, 95, 135 X 5,5

5 Rounds of non stop
50 LB FGDB Farmers Walks X 50 M's
16 KG KB Press X 5 each arm

That got the forearms and heart pumping.

Very little sleep Thursday night. Got up early lifted and then took my son to his middle school orientation. I was very impressed with his school. Kind of cool that it is the same school I went to as a kid. I thought I might have flash back dreams last night after spending 3 hours there.

All the lifting went really good. The 195 FS was a little more challenging then i thought it would be.

Did all the back to school shopping with the kids yesterday and did returns today. I helped my dad do crown modeling in my grandmothers bath and bedroom for the last 5 hours. Man my brain is a little out of compound miter cuts. It took me longer to figure out which angle and which way then anything else.

just got done cleaning house and Tracy should be getting home from MI tomorrow around 11:00 the kids and I miss her.

Arien Malec
08-13-2011, 06:22 PM
5 Rounds of non stop
50 LB FGDB Farmers Walks X 50 M's
16 KG KB Press X 5 each arm

That looks awesome. 25m out and back on the farmers walks?

Derek Simonds
08-15-2011, 04:23 AM
That looks awesome. 25m out and back on the farmers walks?

Yep. My traps have been on fire ever since. I can do the 25m out and back with a lot heavier weights without the fat gripz but add them in and wowser does it change things up.

15 August 2011 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 155 X 5 X 3, 205 X 1
Press up to 100 X 5 X 5
Chin Up 1,2,3,4 X 2

Ab Wheel X 10 X 3
B/E X 10 X 3

I had a lot of soreness in my posterior chain today. The BS weights weren't heavy they just weren't fast as I thought I would be at that weight.

Going to try and hit BJJ at least 4 times this week. The kids start school next week so Tracy and I planned out the schedule and with the kids gym I will be able to go 3 times a week if I am in town. This gives Tracy some evening appointments and works out all the way around.

I am going to find out where the Pan Am No-Gi's are in October and maybe just maybe I will go compete.

Derek Weaver
08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
You should totally compete in the Pan Ams.

It's weird to me that so many kids start school the 3rd week of August now.

Derek Simonds
08-16-2011, 04:35 AM
You should totally compete in the Pan Ams.

It's weird to me that so many kids start school the 3rd week of August now.

I am getting a whole lot closer to pulling the trigger. It is weird but it works out well since they get out at Memorial Day.

15 August 2011 Monday

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked on single leg, taking the back with a double collar grip and RNC

BJJ Advanced: Worked an arm across inside leg takedown that was really interesting. It was almost like a Navy but you don't go all the way down and because you are shoving the arm across it really throws your opponent. Then we worked a butterfly guard pass that was so, so simple but very effective. Basically you got a double collar grip, jumped to squat, squeezed their legs together while yanking them towards you and you slid into mount. Highly effective.

We have a new instructor that doesn't speak any English at all. He is the coach for "Shogun" Rua and an incredible grappler. I watched him just mow through any one that wanted to train last night. Amazing to see someone at that level.

16 August 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

40 LB Weight Vest X 35 minutes

Plank with vest X 30 seconds X 5 + Scap Push Ups X 10 X 3

Nice easy workout. Got the HR up but immediately after the planks I was back down to 102. Really pleased with my cardio progress right now.

Derek Weaver
08-16-2011, 04:02 PM
If that's the same guy that Shogun started with, his standards sound incredibly high, which is awesome.

He (Shogun) was training for something like 16 years and was still a brown belt.

Derek Simonds
08-17-2011, 04:26 AM
If that's the same guy that Shogun started with, his standards sound incredibly high, which is awesome.

He (Shogun) was training for something like 16 years and was still a brown belt.

It isn't who Shogun started with but it is who was his ground coach the entire time he was UFC Champion. I watched him grapple a lot the other night and all I can say is I am duly impressed. I am still trying to get the registration information for the Pan-Ams and if I do register I am going to do 3 or 4 privates with Prof Simpson to get fine tuned.

16 August 2011 Tuesday

BJJ Fundamentals: The only thing of interest is that I led the entire warmup. Same class as Monday.

17 August 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

DL up to 185 X 5 X 3, 235 X 5
Bench up to 145 X 5 X 3, 195 X 1, 145 X 12
P/U's 3,4,5,6

BB Curlz X W,N,R X 15
Tricep Extension + Prison Press 25 LB DB's X 10 X 3
50 LB FGDB Rowz X 10,12,15

Looks like I got the main directions for pulling in this workout, vertical up, down, and horizontal. I imagine my back is going to be sore.

The DL's were dissapointingly hard. So ridiculous that earlier this year a set of 275 X 5 would have been a warm up weight and I would have not even given it any thought. Oh well that is what happens when you come back from an injury.

Up and back trip to DC today and tomorrow. See you on Friday fellows.

Eduardo Chile
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Let me know if you're coming to class on Friday night

Derek Weaver
08-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Shogun's BJJ was underrated in my opinion. He was known to be solid, but I saw some old training footage and he looked pretty slick for a guy who was as big as he is.

Derek Simonds
08-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Let me know if you're coming to class on Friday night

I will definitely be there. I pick up Laney at her gym at 7:45 so I get to stay and play.

Derek Simonds
08-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Shogun's BJJ was underrated in my opinion. He was known to be solid, but I saw some old training footage and he looked pretty slick for a guy who was as big as he is.

Here is a little promo video with Shogun and Prof "Simpson" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-TUGARZ60

Derek Weaver
08-18-2011, 10:26 PM
That's a cool video. And here I am saying his BJJ "was" underrated and he "was known"... as if he's gone or something.

He's still a top 5 LHW in the UFC, maybe top 3... That was kind of messed up the way he kneed that dude at the end during sparring.

Ever hear the rumor about Wanderlei KO'ing Shogun in sparring like 5 or 6 years ago, during the Pride glory days?

Derek Weaver
08-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Inspiration for pan-ams. Tap your inner Marcelo Garcia. The speed he chokes a guy like Shaolin out is insane. Unconscious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8O-fq-NI4

Derek Simonds
08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Inspiration for pan-ams. Tap your inner Marcelo Garcia. The speed he chokes a guy like Shaolin out is insane. Unconscious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8O-fq-NI4

That was amazing. I haven't seen that fight. Marcelo Garcia films every single class he teaches and then publishes the video online for his subscribers. He also rolls with everyone who visits. He is really a stand out in the BJJ world as he keeps no secrets about his training and still goes in and crushes the competition.

Derek Weaver
08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
I've heard good things about him back when I was kind of into this stuff.

Him publishing his classes online and being upfront about his training reminds me of Nick Nolte in "Blue Chips"
"It doesn't matter what ya do. IT'S HOW YOU DO IT!!!"

I'm a movie dork.

Derek Simonds
08-20-2011, 04:29 AM
19 August 2011 Friday

Got home at 3:00 AM after an absolutely brutal set of flight delays from DC. Had meetings first thing in the morning so a couple of hours of sleep, shower and zone bar and off I go.

BJJ Competition Class: Pretty neat in that it turned into open mat and we got to work on some really cool stuff with Prof Raphael and Prof Marcio. Main things I took away were better positioning on the brabo choke from anywhere and 3 different ways to do the punch pass from half guard. Rolled a lot with one of my buddies who is coming back from a knee injury and finished off with a little work with Chile. He absolutely crushed my knee in his half guard.

Really a good night for me. Feel like I learned a lot.

Arien Malec
08-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Surprising to have a good session after messed up travel; I'm always completely wiped.

Derek Simonds
08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Surprising to have a good session after messed up travel; I'm always completely wiped.

It is interesting. Sometimes when I am wiped out I think that I do a better job of learning/using technique. I definitely knew that my strength was not there to call on.

20 August 2011 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 150 x 3
Press up to 95 x 8 x4
P/U 3,4,5,3,4,5,3,4

BB Curlz 95 x 5 x 3

Did not feel strong at all. Yesterday my food intake was way too low. Usually when I am tired I can eat a house. Yesterday not so much.

BJJ: worked taking the back using an opposite side foot pick and then several variations of collar choke finishing with bow and arrow choke.

I grappled 4 rounds with some really solid opponents. Chile and I had another intense battle. It seemed like I rolled with all crazy half guard players.

I was super pleased with everything today.

By the way today is my beautiful, intelligent, sexy wifes birthday. The celebration has now begun...

Arien Malec
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Happy birthday to her! It's my son's birthday as well.

Derek Simonds
08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Happy birthday to her! It's my son's birthday as well.

We had a great day hope you and your son enjoyed his.

21 august 2011 Sunday

Family run day. Ran .8 miles with Jr, .8 miles with Laney and then did 8 by 50 meter sprints. Total time 34 minutes average HR 143.

It is sweltering out there today. Laney told me she wanted to improve her place from 3rd to 2nd this year in the race. She did really good today. When they weren't running the kids rode their bike. I love doing stuff like this with them.

Derek Simonds
08-22-2011, 05:50 AM
22 August 2011 Monday

First day of school for the kids and first day with the alarm set at 4:55 AM for me. It was a little tough to get up today. But I did!

Bench up to 155 X 5 X 3
BS up to 165 X 5 X 3

FG DB Rowz 50 X 10,12,15
DB Floor Press 30, 40 X 12, 50 X 15
DB Step Ups 16" Box 25,30,40 X 6 each leg

Inside to make breakfast for Laney and get her off to school. Everything went smooth as silk for Laney and me, not so much for Tracy and Jr. Apparently the bus hasn't shown up and school has already started. Tracy is concerned that somehow they have screwed up and left Jr off the route. She is now driving him to school and going in to talk to the office. I feel bad for them as she had to cancel a client she had scheduled...

The bench is probably a 5 on RPE and the squats were a 6. The only issue I am having in the squats is getting tight and comfortable under the bar without my shoulder sqwaking to bad.

Arien Malec
08-22-2011, 10:59 AM
First day of school for the kids and first day with the alarm set at 4:55 AM for me. It was a little tough to get up today. But I did!

I have one more week of goodness. First day of school is all around evil.

Derek Simonds
08-23-2011, 04:01 AM
23 August 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 155 X 3 X 5
DL up to 225 X 5, 245 X 5
Press up to 105 X 5 X 3
P/U 3,4,5,6

Ab Wheel O'Death 12 X 3
B/E 12 X 3

Entire workout warm up to finish was just under an hour. I did the lifts in a giant super set. Not sure if I will do that again or just do them in pairs. I am still playing with this template and timing so stay tuned for more. I can tell that as the weights increase I am going to need to be aware of my recovery.

I have been on Hurricane watch for the past 24 hours. Irene originally was aimed dead at us, which is the best thing that can happen since the average margin of error in forecast track is 200 miles over 4 days. I thought we were going to be making a mad dash to the Keys to handle the Keys house. It appears it is going to miss us. Yeah us but my thoughts are definitely going to be with the east coast as this one looks nasty.

Derek Simonds
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
23 August 2011 Tuesday PM

No-Gi drills and skills baby! Grappled for 40 minutes with Rich

BJJ Fundamentals: Lots of breakfalls, bear hug escape, pendulum sweep, butterfly sweep from laying down.

I was super hungry and ready for some food so I beat feet and headed home.

Derek Weaver
08-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Good luck on that hurricane Derek. Out here we laugh at the hysteria from the earthquakes, but hurricanes are no joke.

Stay safe.

Derek Simonds
08-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Hurricane Irene is going to miss up completely. Probably the only effect it will have on our weather will be sucking the moisture out as it goes by giving us a couple of sunny cloud free days... We dodged a bullet on this one.

24 August 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

40 LB Weight Vest, 1.5 Miles, 28 minutes and an average HR of 121

All exercises below were done with the weight vest on.

Planks X 45,45,45,60
Side Planks (each side) 10 X 4
Kneeling Scap Pushups X 12 X 4

BB Curlz W X 18, N X 18, R X 18
Tricep Extension 20 LB DB X 12,12, 20

I was really pleased with everything today. I am dragging a little adapting to new schedule and am not getting enough calories but... I feel pretty dang good.

The next 4 days are going to be a little nutty getting ready for the big charity event that my wife is the auction chair for. I am again the celebrity auctioneer (celebrity only in that I am big on the internetz... :D ). Tonight I will be helping with the build out of the props that transform an arena into a Wild Wild West town. Always a good time and the proceeds help local women and children charities so it is well worth it.

Derek Simonds
08-26-2011, 03:41 AM
25 August 2011 Thursday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same stuff as all week

No-Gi: Learned two cool variations off the no-gi clock choke and and no-gi brabo from top turtle or single leg defense. Wicked fast and oh so effective. Grappled with a guy that is very close to my size and was able to move very effectively. I have decided in the tournament if I get in a spot where they can take me into half guard I am going to stand instead of letting them get that. My biggest weakness in half guard is that I get caught in kimuras with my orangutan arms. My arms do work to my advantage in the d'arce so I guess it is a trade off. Grappled one more long round with another guy who is 185 and he caught me in a kimura but I had some really good movement again.

Pretty pleased with my first no-gi class in forever.

Derek Simonds
08-26-2011, 03:45 AM
26 August 2011 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll (a lot)

BS up to 170 X 5 X 3
Bench up to 160 X 5 x 3

RDL up to 135 X 5 X 4
Feet Elevated Push Ups 12 X 4

S/U 1 Hand 6 LB Med Ball Throws. X 24 X 3

I have got to get a real belt. The belt I have the velcro has started to come off and it will pop off at the worst possible times, like the 4th rep on the last set. Another good workout. Everything just felt great. I am going to change it up for September and only do 2 weight focused workouts and 3 cardio workouts. I think that will give me the biggest bang for the buck. Kind of like Joel Jamiesons 8 weeks out except I am 5 weeks out.

Looking to be a good weekend. I am going to try and train hard over the next 36 hours.

Eduardo Chile
08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Hope to see you at jits tonight!

I like my Inzer Forever belt, 13 mm. Took forever to break in though.

In case you haven't seen Mike's lifting at Raw Nationals...

Mike at Raw Nationals (http://youtu.be/wJzQgJlp08c)

Derek Simonds
08-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Hope to see you at jits tonight!

I like my Inzer Forever belt, 13 mm. Took forever to break in though.

In case you haven't seen Mike's lifting at Raw Nationals...

Mike at Raw Nationals (http://youtu.be/wJzQgJlp08c)

I will be there. I read his recap. Pretty darn good showing.

Derek Simonds
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
26 August 2011 Friday Lunch

BJJ Competition Class: Worked some more cool stuff off of laying down butterfly sweep. Both defense and offense. Grappled with big Phil and Chris. Had a couple of good rounds not overly energetic but good.

Derek Simonds
08-27-2011, 04:35 AM
26 August 2011 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class part deux: Worked more stuff off the butterfly sweep. Another defense and another attack. Marcio showed us some more stuff individually and then I grappled 3 more 10 minute rounds. Pretty much spent.

Derek Simonds
08-27-2011, 08:44 AM
27 August 2011 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Feeling the effects of this week. So I decided to make this a fun workout and hit a couple of key lifts. At least that was the plan...

Power Snatch up to 81 X just short of a gazillion. No real snap today and didn't want to have really bad form so just hung around at 81 LB's. I was pretty warmed up so I went to some fun stuff.

Card tearing
Phone Book Vertical Shearing

All was going along just swimmingly with the tearing so I decided to have a go at a 3 inch thick book I have had sitting in the garage for a while. I know that humidity makes a book harder to tear but I had no idea it would be that much harder. Wow this was tough. I worked on it for about 3 minutes, took a break and went back at it. I tried for another 2 minutes and had the book about half way torn when I realized that my thumb was hurting. I looked at my left thumb and I had ripped about a dime sized chunk of skin off the palm side of my thumb right after the first crease. Seriously annoying.

Fat Gripz Double Overhand DL up to 205 X 1, 210 X F I did probably 15 reps from 135 to 205. I wanted to get in 20 reps and thought I would be able to do 5 reps at 215 but no dice today.

Press up to 110 X 5 X 3

All done. I am going to do some more stuff this afternoon before the charity event. Looking at my body I have serious mat burn on my right foot, a hunk of skin missing on the back of my right hand and now the thumb thingy. Apparently it is my turn to keep J&J's profits in line by buying tough strips. Kind of funny actually.

Arien Malec
08-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Funny how with the concentration and adrenaline, you don't notice the rip at the time. I can't even comprehend tearing a 3" phone book - serious work.

Derek Simonds
08-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Funny how with the concentration and adrenaline, you don't notice the rip at the time. I can't even comprehend tearing a 3" phone book - serious work.

When I actually tear one I will post it. They are tough.

29 August 2011 Monday

D w/u
Foam roll

Press up to 115 x 5
FS up to 160 x 3 x 5
DO DL up to 255 x 5

Done in 45 minutes. I am the carpool dad this week. I am driving 5 kids from the neighborhood to school. Got them dropped off and am now sitting at doctors office waiting to see if I have staph on my arm. Hope not....

Eduardo Chile
08-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Oh man! Hope you don't have staph!

Derek Simonds
08-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Oh man! Hope you don't have staph!

They cultured it and I will know later in the week. I am getting treated as if it is but crap... not what I wanted to deal with right now.

Arien Malec
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
If you have the red line running up the arm (cellulitis and lymphangitis), getting treated in the best precaution.

Derek Simonds
08-30-2011, 03:26 AM
If you have the red line running up the arm (cellulitis and lymphangitis), getting treated in the best precaution.

None of that thankfully but I didn't want to take a chance. I have been down the staph road once before and it was nasty.

30 August 2011 Tuesday

40 LB Vest 21 minutes AHR 114. Fast pace and fast workout.

Derek Simonds
08-31-2011, 06:01 AM
31 August 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roller

BS up to 175 X 5 X 3
GM's up to 95 X 5,5, 105 X 5, 110 X 5, 115 X 5

Bench up to 165 X 5 X 3
Chin Ups 5 X 4
FG 50 LB DB Rowz 15,15,20

Great workout. Really felt good about today. My form is consistent across all sets. I know I am not doing a ton of weight but getting my form dialed in is critical for me right now.

I think that the biggest coaching cue that I have changed is that I am pressing my neck aggressively back into the bar on the way up. That has changed how I am able to come up substantially. '

I also feel that my back is a lot stronger then before.

Last night my dad called me and the boom on the car wash got bound up on one side and fell. I get up there and we spent the next 90 minutes getting it fixed. At one point in time I was on top of a ladder leaning over the gantry doing a farmers hold on the boom with my left hand (for time) while my dad tried to get some boards under it for support. Guess that goes back to Rippetoe's point about strong people are more useful. Every time I work with my father I am amazed at his knowledge. He asked me what size is that nut, I said um smaller then an inch, he leans over and says that is a 7/8th's and hands me the wrench. It was a 7/8th's. So much knowledge, so much do it yourself don't need someone else to come fix it attitude. Makes me proud of him.

Arien Malec
08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Funny how some cues work. Neck into the bar, chest up, squeeze the shoulder blades; all end up in the same place, but some immediately generate the right form and others don't make sense.

My father-in-law ran a hardware store until his 60s, and did all the maintenance in the apartment building he owned until his late 70s. The stuff he's forgotten is more than I'll ever know....

Derek Simonds
09-01-2011, 06:57 AM
1 September 2011 Thrusday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Black Band X 20 X 4
Pull a parts
Low pull

Red Band X 20 X 3
External rotation
Internal rotation

A really bad ass single armed shrug that I read about yesterday and now I can't find it to link to it here. I think it was named after a Coach Gillian or something. If anyone has the link please post it. It was in a newsletter that I get and I went through all my deleted email and still can't find it. Oh well. What you do is sit on a bench reach behind you with one arm and pull down hard while having a big chest. Then you let your arm holding the weight sag slightly below normal shrug up and lean your ear over to contact your shoulder. Hold for a second and repeat.

25, 30, 40 X 12

Floor Press 40,45,50,65,70 LB DB's X 10 (wow that was a huge PR)
DB Curlz 25,30,35,40 X 10

Standing Tricep Extension 15 LB DB X 20 X 2
Hex DB Pinch Curlz 25 X 10, 30 X 8, 35 X 6, 40 X 3

A couple of other things just screwing around. Man I can't believe how much I moved on the floor press today. Pretty darn pleased. Getting into position with the 70's was a little challenging.

On the staph front it looked better this morning but still is freaking me out. I am anxiously awaiting the culture to see if this is the best course of treatment.

Based on not being able to train BJJ right now I am going to do at least 3 two a days next week and focus on cardio. If I can be all healed by the 10th and back to BJJ I am still going to go to NY and compete. Fingers crossed.

Derek Simonds
09-01-2011, 05:24 PM
If you guys want to see my arm I will post a picture. It is nasty but seems to be getting better...

On the awesome side check this video of Jr out. His coach sent it to me tonight. Jr is one consistently throwing a full and a half on the tumble track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-Z8HjEbs0

Derek Weaver
09-01-2011, 05:56 PM
That video was rad.

What else could cause your arm to get all nasty like that other than staph?

Arien Malec
09-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Wow for Jr! That's pretty amazing.

Definitely post the picture.

Derek Simonds
09-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Jr is getting to a level that is amazing me. Proud dad :)

2 sept 2011 Friday

D WU
Foam Roll

FS up to 165 x 3 x 5
GM up to 115 x 6 x 3
FG RDL up to 185 x 3,2,2,2
Press up to 120 x 5,5,8 HUGE PR!!!
FG BB Curlz x 20

Wow just wow. I am super pleased with today's lifting. After the first set of press I checked the bar to make sure the weights were loaded correctly. My form is really good on the FS and the weights are moving up nicely.

I will post the picture when I get to work. I have a doctors appt at 8:45 so hopefully I know what is going on by then.

Arien Malec
09-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Nice work on the PR.

Derek Simonds
09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Ok here are the doctors updates from today. Both me and my wife unfortunately... But first before we get into the reports lets look at a picture.

http://i51.tinypic.com/154hlrt.jpg

Yep that is nasty. Ok good and bad news for me. I definitely do not have staph. I have a type of shingles. That is why it was itching so crazy. That is also why it isn't responding to antibiotics. So good news I am not really contagious, bad news I still don't want to train and have to explain why my arm is wrapped up. I will do some stuff tonight with my buddy Rich who knows what is going on and I will do some privates next week on no-gi technique. It also is towards the end of the flare up I guess because some of them are starting to crust. Bad news really isn't bad news but I am not allowed to get into the lake because of the possibility of a secondary infection.

My wife on the other hand got bad news with no good. She has been having really bad hip pain (in some specific positions only) for a while and we found out what it is. She has an antero-superior hip labral tear. She is scheduling an MRI and an Ortho visit now. Hopefully she can rehab it without surgery but it was clearly visible on the xray so not looking good for that. Here is a link for the tear http://www.conquestchronicles.com/pages/the-labral-tear-hip

What really sucks is that she had 3 group classes starting next week and now she is thinking she might hold off until after the Ortho visit to start them.

Crazy day.

Arien Malec
09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Yuck on both counts; especially your wife. Shingles is itchy and painful, but a labrum tear is no good.

Derek Weaver
09-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Good news it's not staph. Bad news on your wife's hip though. Good luck to both of you and get better.

Eduardo Chile
09-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Man, not good news for the wife! I wish her the best, and hope it doesn't require surgery.

Derek Simonds
09-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Long weekend at the lake And a good time was had by all. Lots of really cool photos I will post later.

4 sept 2011 Monday

1.5 non stop run with the kids. Felt real good. Laney made it .8 miles before needing to stop. That was big fir her.

5 sept 2011 Tuesday

D WU
Foam Roll

BS up to 180 x 5 x 3
GM up to 125 x 6 x 3

Bench up to 170 x 5 x 3
Chin ups 5 x 4

Quick and easy. Man I was sweating like mad and didn't really feel good this morning. Weights were all good just had no oomph.

Off to NH for meetings then Chicago tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
09-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Extremely busy but incredibly successful two days. 3 done deals. Got home really late last night from the airport, I have 3 people interviewing at work today and a follow up doctors appointment for my arm. All of that leads to a tired, 40 minute, check the box workout.

D W/U
Foam Roll
Lacrosse Ball work (shoulder and rhomboids)

FS up to 170 X 3 X 5
Press up to 125 X 3,3,3,1,1
P/U 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,6

Done and going to hang out with my son for a few minutes before he heads to school.

Derek Simonds
09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Tracy has her MRI scheduled and we are working to find a doctor that takes our insurance to meet with after. Interesting how hard that actually is. We have a family friend who is an Ortho but they don't take our insurance. So we are going to find a doctor visit them and have our friend give us a second opinion.

As I promised earlier here are a couple of pictures from the lake.

Here is Jr launching some serious air. Uncle Michael offered up a Monster to any of the boys that cleared both wakes. Jr did it twice. I wish I had some video.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2n218qo.jpg

Delaney not to be out done got crazy on the wakeboard. Not only was she actually getting a little air she did a flat water spin to switch her left leg forward and started with her left leg forward. We are all goofy footed so that is a big deal.

http://i52.tinypic.com/s1hn9y.jpg

How bout the smiles on these kids faces. Pretty much says it all right there.

http://i55.tinypic.com/20ztxnb.jpg

If you want to keep the kids busy for a little while just buy a quart of boiled peanuts and let them have at it...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2nvcd2u.jpg

Arien Malec
09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Looks like an awesome time.

Insurance is a pain -- can you pay and have the insurance company reimburse at the out of network rate? I've had to do that a number of times to get the right quality of care.

Derek Simonds
09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I have a call in to our agent. If I am reading it right I can pay and get reimbursed at 80/20 and have it go towards our deductible. If that is what it takes for Tracy to feel good about the doctor I will do it.

Derek Simonds
09-09-2011, 03:44 AM
09 September 2011 Thursday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Throw, Headlock defense, Mount Escape, Armbar from closed guard

No-Gi: half guard bottom to taking the back via a duck under and then basically the same way as you would from guard. Very cool move and if I can get to the first part I have multiple options which I like. Grappled two rounds nothing major and I felt great. I didn't push hard at all and was able to make position and get to submissions. I also worked on my d'arce and guillotine with Raphael and got a couple of pointers. Very nice stuff indeed.

Derek Simonds
09-09-2011, 03:48 AM
09 Sept 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll a lot
Lacrosse Ball

Fancy Shrugz up to 45 X 10 X 3
Hex DB Pinch Curlz up to 35 X 6 X 4

PC 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 115 X 3

On the minute for 10 minutes 1 clean + 1 hang power clean at 115. This was surprisingly easy. I thought my form would start to suffer later in the rounds but I was spot on. Next week 125.

De'Franco Shoulder Murder

25 LB Plate Raise X 10 X 2
3 LB DB Scarecrows X 10 X 2
3 LB DB Thumb up side raise X 10 X 2

Good workout and looking forward to some more BJJ tonight.

Derek Simonds
09-10-2011, 01:38 PM
09 Sept 2011 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Ok Marcio and our new Prof Raphael have decided that we need to have harder workouts. So warm up was intense. I totally regretted doing 100 ab wheel roll outs throughout the day. We finished warm up with sets of 50 ab exercises supersetted with 10 sit outs and then back to ab work.

We worked more from half guard and then got some grappling in. The half guard stuff we have been doing this week is amazing. I am really enjoying these new techniques. I can see lots of way to implement these techniques.

Grappling was good. I am feeling much better moving around and was able to get a couple of submissions.

Derek Simonds
09-10-2011, 01:47 PM
10 Sept 2011 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll
Lacrosse Ball Work

BS up to 185 X 5 X 3
DL up to 265 X 5, 295 X 1 all double overhand
Bench up to 175 X 5 X 3

Boring but big protocol today. Finished quick and had to head to a funeral for a friends father. I didn't know Jan well but have known his son and his daughter in law for 30 years. All I can say was that the eulogies just tore me up. This man spent the last 20 years on his vacations working in the mission field of Guatemala. He and his wife created a charity that made ovens, planted trees on the hillsides to protect the villages from mud slides and built houses for the locals. I was very impressed and moved by the feelings expressed today.

Sometimes it takes a funeral for you to see what life is really about.

Derek Simonds
09-10-2011, 02:11 PM
10 September 2011 Saturday Noon

BJJ All Levels: Apparently all levels is now going to be a competition class also. The warm up was another super intense training session. We worked seo nage and 2 more variations off the half guard stuff we have been working this week.

I grappled one time with Prof Marcio which was an experience for me. I have trained many times with the other professors but I really had no idea how hard to go with Prof Marcio. It was the first time in a long time I didn't know how hard to go. So I went conservative on power but really focused on tech. He gave me several very good pointers. It was very cool. I finished with great roll with a guy very close in size to me just a little less upper body and who is a very solid blue belt. He has a great open guard game and is very active with his legs. I was able to pass and worked to 2 arm bars and 1 arm triangle. Really felt like I was moving good.

Next week I think I am going to workout like this.

M: FS, RDL, Press, P/U
T: Row 5 K and then 3 5 minute rounds of something
W: Off
H: Off
F: BS, DL, Bench
S: Conditioning and accessory work
S: Run with the kids

My key workouts for BJJ will be

M: Off
T: Competition Class
W: BJJ
H: No-Gi (this is my A workout of the week)
F: Competition Class
S: All levels or I might be at a low light force on force class
S: Off

Derek Weaver
09-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Your sparring with your Prof. made me chuckle a bit. Do you go all at them and have them tie you up? Focus on technique? Work until the room goes black?

The short time I rolled, I once sparred with our constructor. I was a white belt, he was a Mundials gold medalist in the Carlson Gracie lineage.

It's stunning to me just how smooth and effortless those high level players really are.

Arien Malec
09-10-2011, 03:13 PM
It's exhibition style stuff, but at the top levels, all the folks move like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjH8Ud3iZDk

(you have to pretty much ignore all the "my martial art can beat your martial art" comments).

Derek Simonds
09-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Your sparring with your Prof. made me chuckle a bit. Do you go all at them and have them tie you up? Focus on technique? Work until the room goes black?

The short time I rolled, I once sparred with our constructor. I was a white belt, he was a Mundials gold medalist in the Carlson Gracie lineage.

It's stunning to me just how smooth and effortless those high level players really are.

In the past I have always gone all out with them until they submitted me. But and this is a big BUT I have never trained with Marcio before. For whatever reason I felt like I needed to handle it differently. You are right though I have had some incredible submissions pulled on me during those sessions.

Derek Simonds
09-12-2011, 03:38 AM
It's exhibition style stuff, but at the top levels, all the folks move like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjH8Ud3iZDk

(you have to pretty much ignore all the "my martial art can beat your martial art" comments).

I trained in akido off and on for almost 9 years. I should have my black belt but at the time I wasn't interested in testing so I blew it off whenever my instructor offered to test me. Now that I am training in BJJ I find I use a lot of my Akido training when standing and going for wrist locks. I could write an entire article about why I stopped training Akido.

You are right the top level guys in any art tend to move effortlessly.

Derek Simonds
09-12-2011, 03:42 AM
12 September 2011 Monday

I must be getting adapted to my new sleep patterns. I woke up with no alarm at 4:36 AM and was ready to go. I did however stay in bed until 5:00 when the alarm went off. :D

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 175 X 3 X 5
RDL up to 205 X 3,3,3,1,1

Press up to 125 X 5,4,4
P/U 2 X 7

25 LB Plate hold and every 10 seconds you add 1 5 lb plate (3 times) and then every 10 seconds you take a plate off back the 25 lb'er and then back up and down. Entire process takes 2 minutes and you will feel it in every muscle in your arm.

Lots of stuff happening today and I am really looking forward to Jr's open house tonight at middle school.

Arien Malec
09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
I could write an entire article about why I stopped training Akido.

Let me guess: incredibly clubby, superior and insular at the top levels?

From what I've seen, BJJ always seems genuinely interested in development at all levels. I can't say the same about other martial arts.

Derek Simonds
09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Let me guess: incredibly clubby, superior and insular at the top levels?

From what I've seen, BJJ always seems genuinely interested in development at all levels. I can't say the same about other martial arts.

There was definitely that and my original instructor was totally on the outside looking in. He came from a different lineage then the sanctioning body he was training under so... There are politics in all arts I have come to accept that. In BJJ at the lower levels you just don't get exposed to any of it and it is all about developing stuff that really works for you on the mat.

Derek Simonds
09-13-2011, 06:23 AM
13 September 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll (I could seriously spend 30 minutes on the roller)
B W/U
P/C up to 95 X 3 X 2, 115 X 1

On the minute 125 X 1 PC + 1 HPC X 10 minutes

Barbell Complex 95 LB's X 5 reps each of
DL, Row, Jump Shrug, RDL, HPC + 1 Press
3 Rounds with 90 seconds of rest

Row 5 minutes, 2 minutes X 3 with 90 seconds rest. I was planning on rowing at least 10 minutes up to 25 minutes but my lower back was on FIRE! Wonder why? So I did some intervals. Great workout all the way around and BB complex had me a little breathless at the end of the 3 rounds. Next week 5 rounds with an even KG number. Hmm maybe 50 KG's.

Derek Simonds
09-14-2011, 07:36 AM
13 September 2011 Tuesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Full nelson escape, side control escape from different hand positions, and live drilling side control escapes.

BJJ Competition: 45 minute warm up with abs of death, then 13 people laid down and we did line drills 1 minute sweep or submit from bottom or pass from top then switch opponents. I started on top and my 4th opponent stripped my left hand grip a little over zealously and my middle finger and my ring finger are about 1.5 times normal size at my middle finger knuckle. It really pisses me off because I was going easy as I outweighed my opponent by at least 60 lb's and I figured I would let them work for the sweep without me crushing them. So much for Mr. Nice Guy. Not doing that anymore. It seems like the majority of time I have gotten a stupid injury it is from going easy on someone. Oh I also took a knee to the face and have a bruise that takes up the entire back of my elbow. People were really trying to go at competition speed for sure. Which I am ok with I just need to be playing at the same speed.

The good news. My conditioning is really spot on. I was never gassed through out the entire training and could have stayed and grappled if I wasn't so pissed by what happened. When I was on the bottom I swept or armbarred every opponent and passed most of the guards when I was on top. I have been icing my hand nonstop since I left the academy last night and am taking today off. Tomorrow I will buddy tape it for no-gi which should be fine and I will be extra careful on Friday at gi competition class.

Please let the swelling and pain subside I want to fight at Pan Ams!

Eduardo Chile
09-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Derek I notice the same thing. I think I'm going to start going harder on most people. Sounds great with the conditioning.

Try alternating between hot and cold with the injury. I found this to be more beneficial than just ice. I used to do hot in the whirlpool at about 100 to 110 F and cold at about 60 F.

Derek Simonds
09-15-2011, 03:44 AM
15 sept 2011 Thursday

D w/u
Foam roll

Band work

10 to 1, 1 to 10
1 arm 16 kg kb swings
Pushups feet elevated

Nice and quick. Got my HR up and some movement in. My posterior chain was lit up when I got done.

I didn't mention it earlier but last week i took my ab roller and a 4 lb engineers hammer to work and have been doing GTG stuff with them every day. Actually picking up quite a bit of work that way. Today I am adding a 25 lb db for more grip work and some curlz...

My finger still is jacked but I can hold onto anything with a thick handle that means I can hold a wrist or ankle. That is all I need.

I hope I can sneak out at lunch and at least grapple no gi.

Derek Simonds
09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
15 September 2011 thursday

Bjj fundamentals: full nelson defense, side control escape two ways and arm triangle. For some reasoned got into a full nelson contest with me and the instructor. I was holding him and he was trying to escape. He did 3 different moves none worked. He was really good about it. We laughed and he tried more stuff. I think it is just because I have such long arms and can apply some good control from there. Serious talk now. If you don't read Rory Miller's blog start. He is one of the guys who really has been there with real violence and has some great stuff about what you need to be aware of. His take on an attack from the rear is a drilled response of an elbow with movement. I played with that when my partner was grabbing me I liked it. I really would like to drill that with protective gear.

No Gi: line drills with takedowns. 12 guys so 6 on defense 6 on attack. I had good success on defense not so much on attack. I think I got 2 maybe 3 takedowns out of 6 opponents. We worked one of my favorite attacks from guard where you reach under the armpit with the same side hand and then reach over the top and pull the shoulder to you. What i had never seen before was how to do a kimura from there. Very nice and the. If they defend you can go straight to an armlock.

I grappled 2 rounds and hit some quality positions and a couple of submissions.

I need to work with some bigger higher rank guys. I am going to reach out to a couple of guys and try and get some specific training in next week.

Derek Weaver
09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Good that you can grip a limb with that finger.

When are the Pan Ams?

Derek Simonds
09-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Good that you can grip a limb with that finger.

When are the Pan Ams?

I thought you asked where. They are October 1st.

New York, NY so good they named it twice. I am working on tickets and hotel today. Not cheap in any sense of the word.

Derek Simonds
09-16-2011, 05:39 AM
16 September 2011 Friday

D W/U
B W/U

PS 45 X 5, 61 X 3, 81 X 2, 95 X 10 on the minute then 1 at 47.5 KG (I know I am mixing my measurements :))

Press up to 130 X 1, 95 X 10

Drag Curlz 55 X 15

This was another quick workout focused on getting moving. The power snatch was fun and pain free except if I tried to lower the weight instead of dropping it. If I lowered it my left shoulder got really angry with me. I also couldn't hook grip comfortably so I skipped that as well. I tried a couple of p/u's and they were a no go on the finger also. I was pleased with speed and form on the PS so that counts as a win for me.

Lots and lots on my plate today but still hoping that I can sneak out at lunch.

Arien Malec
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
New York, NY so good they named it twice. I am working on tickets and hotel today. Not cheap in any sense of the word.

I read recently that for most people money doesn't buy happiness, but that can change if you concentrate on buying experiences, not things. This would seem to qualify.

Derek Simonds
09-17-2011, 05:47 AM
I read recently that for most people money doesn't buy happiness, but that can change if you concentrate on buying experiences, not things. This would seem to qualify.

I agree wholeheartedly. The fact that Tracy is going with me makes the experience complete.

Derek Simonds
09-17-2011, 05:50 AM
17 September 2011 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 190 X 5 X 3
DL up to 275 X 5

I used the technique Justin wrote about on 70's big yesterday and my last set of squats felt like a warm up set. Interesting I will have to work on that some more.

I did some flat bench, DB incline, DB press, KB press and a lot of Floor press trying to find something that wouldn't aggravate my left shoulder. Floor press was the only thing that worked. So I did

Floor Press 40 X 15 X 4
Tricep Extension 20 X 8 X 4
Hex DB Pinch Curlz up to 35 X 8

Lots of stuff to do and off to BJJ.

Arien Malec
09-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Wanting to punch the rep in the mouth?

Derek Simonds
09-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Wanting to punch the rep in the mouth?

It was the whole thing I visualized it, set up and then channeled my inner rage like an old guy would.

Derek Simonds
09-17-2011, 12:15 PM
17 September 2011 Noon

BJJ all levels: it was more like competition class. Some great techniques and we have been drilling stand up every day. Good stuff. I grappled mainly with Chile and Dan who are both significantly heavier then me. I needed that. I felt good working with the bigger fellows.

I was able to get a couple of arm bars with Dan no dice on subs with Chile. We did have some really good movement though.

We ended up training for 90 minutes solid. I am completely and throughly smoked. In fact I might just take a nap.

Derek Simonds
09-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Jr's coach just sent me this from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5L5IfVJgVg

Pretty fun little tumbling pass there.

Arien Malec
09-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Super impressive! He's got talent, obvious love for the sport, and clearly puts in his hours.

Derek Simonds
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM
He does love it. In the FWIW department I have taken 2 naps today (Sunday).

Derek Simonds
09-19-2011, 07:03 AM
19 September 2011 Monday

Finished off Sunday with a large meal and a massage. Woke up today still feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck which I was if you count Chile and Dan on Saturday.

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 180 X 3 X 3, 1,1
RDL up to 205 X 3 X 5

Plate holding for 2 minutes
Drag Curlz 55 X 15

Done

Eduardo Chile
09-19-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm hoping Landon tells me my ideal weight class is 308. That would be a fun and expensive journey. Unfortunately I only weighed 217.4 this morning.

Nice to see you being able to hit those core lifts!

Trust me on the Side lying external rotation exercises. Start with a weight where you can do a full ROM without too much effort. I started at 2.5 lbs since my left side was so weak.

Derek Simonds
09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm hoping Landon tells me my ideal weight class is 308. That would be a fun and expensive journey. Unfortunately I only weighed 217.4 this morning.

I just spit water out my nose. Please lord don't let that happen. I can't handle Chile any larger...

I am all over the side lying external rotation.

Derek Simonds
09-20-2011, 06:43 AM
19 September 2011 Monday PM

No Gi Drilling: I worked on front headlock, guillotine, single leg defense, gator rolls and some other stuff. Another purple belt showed up for MMA and wanted to roll so I went with him and was able to get a shoulder lock and an arm triangle. Pretty pleased with my overall direction. I was trying to take it really easy so I didn't go all RAGE on him but was still able to make the moves I wanted.

BJJ Fundamentals: Don't really remember we were drilling from scissor sweep and some variants. I played around with my partner from scissor sweep and worked some other stuff. Simpson showed me the move for advanced wow! I can't wait for tomorrow night to see all the details.

20 September 2011 Tuesday AM

No Gi: I trained with some friends at an academy in Deland. I rolled with a guy I know who has been training for a long time but is more focused on MMA. It was good and I got a lot of really good movement in. Then we did half guard drills top and bottom 2 minutes each with 45 seconds of rest. There was 4 of us so we got a good mix of training partners. I am overall really happy with what I was able to do today. It was really good and we pushed it a little but not so much that I am destroyed.

My thought of the day is pretty simple. I can't imagine being a professional at this. I am so banged up now just from the training. You would be in pain all the time. Obviously being a professional they get paid to recover which is the part I am seriously lacking but still just training this much wears you down. Right now all my fingers are sore, my right wrist is super sensitive, my left shoulder talks to me all night long and my face feels like it has been run through a cheese grater. Other than that I feel great! I have tried to incorporate Joel Jameisons concept of high / low training and I am pretty close but whew it is tough.

Arien Malec
09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
My thought of the day is pretty simple. I can't imagine being a professional at this. I am so banged up now just from the training.

I had the same thought going to daily training for OL. Just dealing with the pain and exhaustion and thinking about training is hard. Not to mention sniping at everyone around me. My only thought is that you can get used to anything. It's all in the head. (How you feel is a lie!)

Derek Simonds
09-21-2011, 05:48 AM
I had the same thought going to daily training for OL. Just dealing with the pain and exhaustion and thinking about training is hard. Not to mention sniping at everyone around me. My only thought is that you can get used to anything. It's all in the head. (How you feel is a lie!)

I agree and I know that my work capacity has increased dramatically over the last month. I also hope that I am approaching that part of the supercompensation phase where you just started running into the wall and when you back off BAM everything is better. If I am not then I might just be tired :D

Derek Simonds
09-21-2011, 05:53 AM
21 September 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Side Lying External Rotations 3 LB X 20 X 3
RKC Armbars 8 KG X 3 each side with a 15 second hold

Press 45 X 12, 65 X 12
KB Press 8 KG X 10 each arm
25 LB DB Press X 12 X 3

B W/U
PC + Jerk 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 2, 135 X 1, 145 X 1, 155 X 1, 135 X 1 X 3

I don't think that 155 is a PR but the jerk was easy probably a 6.5 or a 7 on RPE. Amazing. The PC was not easy probably closer to an 8 or 8.5. I had more in me but was being cautious. I was kind of frustrated that pressing felt so nasty so I threw in the jerks in the warm up just thinking I would get some weight over my head. What do you know they didn't hurt at all. So I stayed with them. A little attention to this lift and I will be setting some nice PR's.

Chile if you read this the external rotation felt awesome.

Eduardo Chile
09-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Glad the rotations felt good. Keep upping the weight while maintaining good form. 1 - 2 lb jump should be reasonable for a few weeks. When I'm working on a jump in weight I'll do something light, heavy, medium. So this morning 10, 15, then 13 lbs.

How are you using the RPE's on the Olympic lifts? When I was doing them, the traditional scale didn't work for me. Just curious.

Derek Weaver
09-22-2011, 12:14 AM
I'd definitely check this out for ext. rotations and a little on rotator cuff stuff in general.

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/training-rotator-cuff-to-fatigue-fail

I personally, both before I had surgery (while trying to avoid it almost 9 years ago), and after I had surgery don't think I ever did more than 12 reps, used a light band and went slow.

I still do the "db powercleans"/10 lb plate power cleans this way once I get to the external rotation point. It's a little different because you don't hit the same angles and all, but rotating with a weight is just sketchy enough that I sloooow down and really concentrate on feeling the movement bodybuilder style opposed to hitting a rep PL style. That's a bad explanation but you get it.

food for thought.

Derek Simonds
09-22-2011, 07:47 AM
How are you using the RPE's on the Olympic lifts? When I was doing them, the traditional scale didn't work for me. Just curious.

It is just a feel thing. Like I said yesterday the PC was tough. I know I could get more but more would have been a grind. The jerk was hard but no where near as tough as the PC and I felt like I could have easily hit 170 - 180 on the jerk so that is how I came up with my RPE's.

It is all in my head if that makes any sense...

Derek Simonds
09-22-2011, 07:47 AM
I'd definitely check this out for ext. rotations and a little on rotator cuff stuff in general.

I will thanks!

Derek Simonds
09-22-2011, 07:51 AM
21 September 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Rear choke defense, takedown practice, scissor sweep and scissor sweep push variant. I played around with some stuff with Rich while class was going on.

BJJ Advanced: Two fun drills for establishing grips for throws and takedowns. Then positional drilling 2 minutes side control bottom and then switch to top. On top if you got to KOB or mount you could go for a sub. If bottom guy regained guard or half then reset. I went with Big Dan for 2 full rounds then grappled Dan, then grappled Chile then grappled a slightly smaller Blue belt.

Before class had started I planned on having the grappling be one of my easier nights. Um that didn't happen. It worked out ok as you can see below.

Very pleased with my movement.