PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Derek Simonds
09-22-2011, 08:33 AM
22 September 2011 AM

No-Gi: Out of the 3 other guys that had showed up last time only 1 came today. I hope I didn't go too hard for any of the other guys. So we grappled for a warm up and then did the same side control drills from last night. All was good. One thing that is significantly different in no-gi is KOB. No grips so that is a very transient position at best. Changes my game a little but not too much. This ended up being 60 minutes of drilling but I was not pushing it at all. So everything worked out the way it was supposed to.

Arien Malec
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
It is just a feel thing. Like I said yesterday the PC was tough. I know I could get more but more would have been a grind. The jerk was hard but no where near as tough as the PC and I felt like I could have easily hit 170 - 180 on the jerk so that is how I came up with my RPE's.

It is all in my head if that makes any sense...

I've been thinking about this as well. Something in the degree of mindfulness that's required to make the lift. If I have to visualize the lift, remind myself to explode, etc., that's hard. (I'm not a "pump myself up" kind of lifter, but for some, if you have to pump yourself up to get energy for the lift, that's a hard lift).

On the other hand, with the snatch, and sometimes with the jerk, sometimes it just flies up, and sometimes it's off, so a PR weight can seem easier than an 85% weight, depending on the day and the "feel".

Derek Simonds
09-23-2011, 03:07 AM
22 September 2011 Thursday PM

No-Gi: This was my "A" training event of the week. So I went after it. My biggest concern going into the tournament has been my takedowns and takedown defense. Well we got to do plenty of practice last night. We did line drills with 6 attackers and 6 defenders. It was at least a minute each and I went as hard as I could. I am happy to report I did not get taken down by anyone. NO dancing around that was engaging them and defending. When it was my turn I was able to take every body down but one of our black belts. Wow. That gave me a lot of confidence. My sprawl was fast and I found 3 different techniques that worked for me consistently. After class I played with Simpson some more and we discussed strategy. If my opponent bends over I am going to snap them to the ground. If they stand up straight I am going to either arm drag or clench to break their posture then go for whatever is there. And lastly if they get their head low but not their entire body I am going to front headlock and snap roll. I hit all three of these in practice.

After that we grappled 3 times for probably 7 minutes or so. First roll I took it easy with Zach and we moved. It was good we both worked top and bottom positions and I learned how to escape a front headlock attack. Useful information right there... Last match was with one of our powerhouse black belts. I was all over him but kept leaving my foot exposed and he heel hooked me 3 times. Kind of frustrating but definitely something I need to learn to defend. I was able to pass his guard, get one hook in before he heel hooked the other and when I pulled guard I was able to control the match. Simpson said "guard good", "takedowns good", "submissions good", "standing pass technique good, movement slow". That would be why I got heel hooked so much. He showed me a simple defense and by simple I mean how did I not know that simple. I worked that multiple times afterwards and feel good about it.

I came home iced pretty much my entire left side and watched TV with Jr and Tracy. I should have ate more just not much appetite.

Now that I feel more comfortable standing I dreamed about my matches all night long. I am starting to see what I am going to do. I can feel my palms getting sweaty just thinking about it. But I am visualizing my entry, transition and attacks. As I finalize I will write about it so you guys can see my game plan.

Derek Simonds
09-23-2011, 06:10 AM
23 Sept 2011 Friday AM

BS up to 195 X 5 X 3
FG BB Rowz 45,65,85 X 12, 95 X 10 X 4
Parallete Feet Elevated Pushups + Push Up Plus after each set 10 X 5
FG BB Curlz 65 X 12

Kids have today off from school so timing on the workout was a little different. I was pleased with the squats and the third set has been the easiest one out of the last couple of weeks.

The second set of FG BB Rowz I thought I loaded 95 LB's but it was only a 10 LB'er I added to each side. It came up really easy, I wonder why... The feet elevated parallete push up were very comfortable. I did them to protect my wrist and shoulder. It worked.

Lots of food and water today before tonights training. Oh I weighed in this morning in my competition gear and was 198.6. That is highly dehydrated from last nights training so I am right in the area where I need to be.

Derek Simonds
09-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Oh I forgot to share a little doozy I pulled off last night. I thought of Weaver when I did it. I am not sure what Simpson was showing but he was kind of in the bottom of a 1 legged squat and then jumped into an armbar. I thought that was neat so I stood up did a 1 legged squat on my left leg, jumped and landed in a 1 legged squat on my right leg and then stood back up. Apparently this is reminiscent of some kind of Russian dance that I must now look up. Never tried it before and was pleased I didn't face plant!

Arien Malec
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Kozachok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xZO23OlEQ

Like the intensity pre-tournament.

Derek Simonds
09-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Kozachok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xZO23OlEQ

Like the intensity pre-tournament.

That is amazing!!!

Derek Simonds
09-24-2011, 07:37 AM
23 September 2011 Friday

BJJ Competition Class: We were supposed to have open mat and I was going to work on some stuff I have been thinking about. But there was a belt test and we had guys from the other schools that were there to train so we had a class. Unfortunately for me my left calf knotted up bad in the warmup and then when we were practicing entries on takedowns I drove off my left foot and it felt like velcro ripping apart below my calf. Pretty signifcant pain if I am weight bearing and my toes move towards my knee. Just like every step you take when walking :D . Oh well.

I iced it, took advil and have had it compressed with an ace bandage. Tracy asked if I was going to drop out of the tournament and I said hell no. I only need one good leg. When I won states last year I had a broken bone in my right foot so no big deal here... I am a fast healer and will do all things I can to make sure I am ready to go. This might change my takedown strategy but I am pretty sure adrenaline will get me through.

24 September 2011 Saturday

Tracy wanted to workout so we did

DB Incline Bench up to 45 X 12 X 3
DB Rows up to 45 X 30 each arm

DB Flyes + Prison Press up to 40 X 8

Face Pulls + Ext Rotation X 12 X 4
24 KG KB Swings 12 X 4

6 LB Med Ball Ab throw thingys X 24 X 4

A good workout nothing with any pressure on my calf and I am icing again now. I am going to get something to eat and head to BJJ. Mostly just to be on the mat. I am going to avoid anything with pressure on my calf.

Sam Ser
09-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Hey, Derek.

I just narrowly missed going sub-3 minutes on 50 burpees... I had to try it after a 15-year-old matched my previous record... on his first attempt!

:eek:

Let me know how it goes for you when you try it next.

Derek Weaver
09-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Hope you heal quick with that calf. Torn calves are no joke.

Derek Simonds
09-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Hey, Derek.

I just narrowly missed going sub-3 minutes on 50 burpees... I had to try it after a 15-year-old matched my previous record... on his first attempt!

:eek:

Let me know how it goes for you when you try it next.

Sam that will be my first workout after this competition. Nice job on the time.

Derek Simonds
09-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Hope you heal quick with that calf. Torn calves are no joke.

I am healing nicely. It has to be a muscle strain. I have iced and compressed on and off all weekend and it feels ok today. I still wont be running anywhere but I am confident I will be functional by Saturday.

24 September 2011 Saturday Noon

BJJ All Levels: This class is turning into a competition class. That is ok by me. I didn't do any standing work and only grappled. I stopped anytime I noticed that I was using my left leg. I actually felt pretty good on the ground, really tired but I didn't notice a lot of pressure on my calf while grappling other then a couple of times where I was trying to use my legs to drive. That made me feel a lot better about the tournament also.

26 September 2011 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll (a lot)
Lacrosse Ball (a lot)

Lying External Rotation 5 LB DB X 15 X 3 each side

FS up to 185 X 1 X 5 (weight was easy but I am not taking any chances)
Press up to 95 X 5 X 3

W, N, R Curlz 65 LB BB 12,12,6 (Regular just didn't feel good so I stopped at 6)

Lot's of stuff to get done this week at work and home so I can enjoy NY with Tracy. I am at the point where I am starting to freak out a little. I know I am as ready as I can be but man this will be my first national / international level tournament. I guess I am going to find out if I am a big fish in a little pond...

Arien Malec
09-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I am healing nicely. It has to be a muscle strain. I have iced and compressed on and off all weekend and it feels ok today. I still wont be running anywhere but I am confident I will be functional by Saturday.

Good news!

Lot's of stuff to get done this week at work and home so I can enjoy NY with Tracy. I am at the point where I am starting to freak out a little. I know I am as ready as I can be but man this will be my first national / international level tournament. I guess I am going to find out if I am a big fish in a little pond...

As I keep telling my daughter (about climbing), better to place low with the big fish than high with the little fish.

Derek Simonds
09-26-2011, 06:49 PM
26 September 2011 Monday pm

BJJ Fundamentals: takedown entries, guillotine defense, leg over shoulder pass with a nice detail

BJj Advanced: started with 50 takedown entires, 25 throws and 25 low takedowns, went right to the ground and did a fun sweep from open guard with leg threaded through and foot under shoulder. Basically you spun under Hipped up and shoved opposite arm through for a very nice sweep to an inverted triangle. To explain would tAke an entire article.

Grappled 3 rounds first with big Dan who is also a purple belt and I caught an arm bar in transition. Grappled with a purple belt I have never trained with before. He was smaller then me and must have been going easy as I was hitting shit non stop. I finished with working from side and mount with Dan. I feel pretty good about my game on the ground it all is going to come down to me not making a major mistake while standing.

Or I could tell you that tonight I found the one move from standing that I really like. Gonna play with it tomorrow and Thursday.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I took Tuesday completely off and in fact I was in bed snuggling with my daughter at 8:30 PM and slept until 6:00 AM. Now it wasn't perfect sleep as I was going over the competition the entire night but man I needed that.

28 September 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ Drilling: Drilled submission set ups for No-Gi. Just spent 30 minutes not working hard but making entries, setting up subs and finishing them fast. Felt fluid.

BJJ Fundamentals: Didn't really work that hard but did practice my entries on takedown and a couple of sweeps.

29 September 2011 Thursday AM

I bought the Juggernaut training manual off EFS yesterday. Some high quality stuff there. I did the warmups today

Juggernaut Joint Mobility
Juggernaut Med Ball Movements

Press up to 55 X 12 X 3
P/U 1,2,3,1,2,3

Floor Press up to 35 X 12 X 3
External Rotation 8 LB X 15 X 3

Plank X 30 X 3

Worked out with the wife and wanted to get some movement in.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2011, 01:53 PM
My friend Virdeo took some pictures of Laney and me at BJJ a couple of weeks ago. Here is my favorite.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2924dvq.jpg

Derek Simonds
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
29 sept 2011 Thursday pm

BJJ No-Gi: Had a great night at the academy. I worked with one of our best guys and he said I am ready. I will take it.

I am an arm hunting, triangle throwing, RN Choking, d'arcing fool!!!!

And I feel really good. Just got the schedule. First fight for me is 4:00 and second round of fights is 6:40. Gonna be a long day and that kind of screws up NYC for Tracy and me Saturday night. I need a little more info so I know when I actually need to show up.

Arien Malec
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
NYC is a late night kind of place.

Great picture!

Derek Weaver
09-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Indeed. That is a great picture.

Go crush them in NYC.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9509/karatekidkreesedi0.jpg
No Mercy

Derek Simonds
09-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Indeed. That is a great picture.

Go crush them in NYC.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9509/karatekidkreesedi0.jpg
No Mercy

Am I supposed to yell cobra kai or something like that?

Derek Simonds
09-30-2011, 03:46 AM
NYC is a late night kind of place.

Great picture!

I just hope that I am a late night kind of guy after the tournament. I am looking forward to taking Tracy to Times Square no matter what time it is.

Derek Weaver
09-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Am I supposed to yell cobra kai or something like that?

Just sweep the leg.

Arien Malec
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Good luck in NY. Have fun, do well, enjoy the nightlife.

Derek Simonds
10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
It's official the Pan Am No Gi Championship is in the books. I took silver in heavy weight and won the GOLD medal in Absolute! I should have won in heavy but made a mental error. I am super excited about the absolute gold. That is why I flew to NY.

I will update Monday with Pics and video.

Arien Malec
10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Awesome! Congratulations!

Derek Weaver
10-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Nice job Derek. That's awesome.

Did you sweep the leg? Kidding.

Arien Malec
10-02-2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.absolutads.com/mix/bling_bling.jpg

Derek Simonds
10-03-2011, 07:04 AM
I am covered up at work today and had two people call in sick. So just a real quick picture.

http://i53.tinypic.com/am72g4.jpg

Still super excited about the medal. Full write up later today if time permits.

Derek Simonds
10-05-2011, 09:32 AM
5 Oct 2011

It has been an absolutely crazy couple of days. Multiple projects, multiple sick people and I am not feeling a hundred percent either. I decided to take it easy and not train other then I went to the academy Monday night. Mainly to see my teammates and I ended up training anyways. Oh well.

I am traveling to ME for a couple of days and plan on some light workouts in the hotels. I didn't bring my gi as I am going to stay off the mats for a little bit to try and heal up.

Miami International is Oct 22nd and I am planning on competing in Heavy Weight and Absolute again.

After I get through the next three weeks (end of the fiscal year for our company) I am going to do the Juggernaut training program by Chad Smith. I am looking forward to that a lot actually.

Got to run as the plane is coming in for a landing now.

Derek Simonds
10-08-2011, 07:54 AM
08 October 2011 AM

I am back! Still have a crazy month so not really making a lot of plans until this month is over.

Trying to get the Juggernaut Warm Up memorized

AB W/U
Joint Mobility
Med Ball W/U
Power W/U

FS up to 95 X 3 X 3, 135 X 3 X 3
Press up to 95 X 5 X 3
P/U 2 X 7
FGRDL 95 X 5 X 5

Nice and easy workout. Maybe should have done less on the press but no worries. The Juggernaut W/U stuff is pretty intense. I am definitely warmed up when I started my workout. I am not sure if I do all of them every day or only do the power w/u on power days. I will reread that section.

Derek Simonds
10-08-2011, 04:03 PM
8 Oct 2011 Saturday lunch

BJJ competition class: did a lighter warm up then normal then a couple of cool chokes from top half guard then stand up 5 minute round grappling. Went a hard round with Chile and then a nuts round worth Rich. Finished with an easy roll with a blue belt. After class we hung out and did some specific drilling for almost another hour. Ended up being there for over 2 hours.

Good class I am still pretty tired and I don't know when I am going to get fully recovered.

Eduardo Chile
10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Great positioning today! Your BJJ skills are definitely getting better and better.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks brother

10 Oct 2011 Monday

All the Juggernaut W/U
BS up to 135 x 5 x 3, 155 x 3
Bench up to 135 x 5 x 3
FGBB Rowz 95 x 5 x 4

Feet elevated pushups x 10 x 3
Chin Ups x 5 x 3
FG BB Curlz x 12 x 2

Nice and quick and I am off to Austin TX. Gonna be here for 3 nights and have a ton more stuff to get done before I start tomorrow. Hoping to train BJJ at least twice while here.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I just got a chance to upload my fights to youtube from last weekend.

Here is the semi final round of the Absolute division.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw2ygXD8hJY

Here is the final round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEABJlH_-ow

Now I am going to tell you if you aren't really into BJJ no reason to watch the first match. It is long, the second one is much shorter and has a submission finish.

Eduardo Chile
10-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Looking good! Congrats!

Derek Simonds
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Oct 2011 Monday

Long day of travel and then work. Speaking at a conference in Austin. Made it through all of my prep and practice and headed to Gracie Barra Austin in South Lamar.

When I got there I was met by a lady working the desk and she invited me to train with them. I went in and there was only two black belts working with 2 white belts. The white belts bowed out and prof Dande asked if I was going to train. We went through normal deal of where I train and all the people he knew and it ended up being him, Prof Alexandro and me for an hour of non stop grappling. Wow!

I offered twice to let them go home since I was the only one there. Prof Dande insisted we train. He told me don't say that again. Basically I had a free private with live training.

11 Oct 2011 Tuesday

GB Austin for the advanced class. We trained a cool variation on the hop throw and a neat KOB escape. Then we grappled 6 five minute rounds. I was on fire and submitted all the blue belts I trained with easily. Normally I don't finish subs when visiting but it just felt right tonight.

Grappled on round with Prof Alexandro and he got me in a collar choke. We reset and I swept him and got top he fought put of it to turtle and then as I was going for a clock choke he unintentionally head butted the ever loving dog not out of me. I had to check to make sure I had all my teeth.

We reset and I swept him again and finished the round on top.

Another great night of training.

Arien Malec
10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Awesome. I like the transition between speaking at the conference then nearly losing your teeth grappling with the master.

Derek Weaver
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
That's awesome when you get to work one on one with instructors like that. It's like going getting two or three weeks of progress out of one or two hours.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Today at the conference I got some really good gi rash going on my face and neck. People are just looking at me funny for some reason...

Derek that is when I make my best progress. It is almost unreal how much you can jump just learning a couple of small details. In fact I learned an awesome counter to kimura when I am in top half guard. It transitions directly into a top side armbar nicely. I have never seen that before so that one little detail alone made the trip worthwhile.

Eduardo Chile
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
You're not allowed to use it on me unless you teach me the counter!!!!

Derek Simonds
10-12-2011, 08:34 PM
You're not allowed to use it on me unless you teach me the counter!!!!

:D Crap I forgot you read this... Wait til you see it, so darn simple but highly effective.

12 October 2011 Wednesday

Finished strong at the conference. I led class from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Couldn't get a flight home that worked out of Austin so I went and trained at GB South Lamar and then headed to San Antonio to fly home at 0 dark hundred.

I was on fire tonight at grappling. Many, many submissions were landed. I went hard with both of the black belts again. Prof Dande submitted me 2 times in our round. I will take that as a win for me.

My face is all road rashed up so glad it is a travel day tomorrow. Got to get some iron time in this weekend.

Eduardo Chile
10-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I'll be there Friday night and Saturday morning so you can show me.

You have been grappling very well and leaving no space on top.

Interested in the gains you make on the Juggernaut method.

Derek Simonds
10-14-2011, 11:31 AM
13 October 2011 Thursday PM

Spent the entire day from 4:30 AM getting home and figured I needed to blow off some steam so I picked up Jr and went to No-Gi

No-Gi: Worked from a muay thai clinch and had a lot of success with that. Practiced one escape from mount to butterfly guard. Both of those techniques played into my game so I liked.

Grappled with one of our previous college wrestlers and I was just kind of taking it easy and was way to relaxed in half guard and he locked on an arm triangle that I am still sore from. Based on that I went arm hunting and got a me a couple. Grappled with Wes and we had a very strategic battle up until I caught him in a straight armbar and finished off the night rolling with Rich. I just ran out of gas. Plain and simple I was smoked.

Great night and as always I enjoyed my time on the mat and the fact that Jr was with me made it even better.

Derek Simonds
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
14 October 2011 Friday AM

Dynamic Warm Up
Foam Roll
Juggernaut Stuff

FG Press up to 95 X 5, 115 X 1, 105 X 3 X 5
FS up to 155 X 3 X 5

FG BB Curlz 45 X 20

My workout partner just closed on his new business last week and there was a whole lot of time that was spent talking instead of lifting. Happens.

Derek Simonds
10-14-2011, 06:58 PM
14 October 2011 Friday PM

I am just one sore banged up mess.

BJJ Competition Class: We had a nutso warm up then worked from standing for a 4 minute round. I went with another purple belt my size and was able to get 3 (that's right) 3 takedowns. He got none. Really pleased with how my stand up is coming. It isn't there yet but coming along nicely. Then we grappled 3 X 6 minutes with them announcing the last minute so if you were behind you would fight like mad to get a sub or to finish strong. I would have won all 3 of my matches. Even the one against Chile which was decided by one sweep. We were right on the precarious edge of him getting me or me getting the sweep for a minute it felt like. I got lucky as he gave in and I was able to get top position.

All in all a good night and I ended up being a few minutes late to get my daughter. Darn it.

Got home and helped my dad and mom off load a 350 LB air compressor for the wash and am very sore now. Tomorrow is our annual 5K so that should be fun feeling the way I do right now.

Derek Simonds
10-15-2011, 07:49 AM
15 October 2011 Saturday

Annual DeLand Fall Run (5K)

Jr ran his own race and finished in 26:09 which was good for second place in his division. Laney and I ran together and she did great. She ran a 31:58 which was first place in her division and actually would end up being 2nd for under 17 I think. I am really proud of both of them. They did awesome.

Here they are after the race with their medals.

http://i53.tinypic.com/opct1h.jpg

Here is Laney and me on the final kick. She was determined at this moment and you can see it in her face.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2mm937n.jpg

Jr and his last 200 M's

http://i56.tinypic.com/2j2yjxi.jpg

It was a good morning and a good race. Off to BJJ Competition class.

Derek Simonds
10-16-2011, 04:47 AM
14 October 2011 Noon

BJJ Competition Class: I realized that I have trained BJJ 7 out of the last 8 days. All of them have been pretty intense. This class was all grappling. No technique. Marcio talked a lot about points and how to work in a tournament.

We did 2 4 minute rounds standing only, 3 X 6 minutes grappling sessions starting from standing and 4 X 1 minute where you were winning or losing and had to fight that last minute.

Great class. I am all registered and I am as ready as I can be for the Miami International Open.

Derek Simonds
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
17 October 2011 Monday

AM Trained in the garage. Absolutely no giddy up today. I did a lot of movement stuff, foam rolling and lacrosse ball work. I was extremely sore and just really not feeling it. Did do some weight stuff

Press up 110 X 3 X 5
Chin Up 2 X 8

Yep that about covers it.

PM BJJ Fundamentals: Worked with a new guy and helped get him through his first official class. Skipped out on advanced and went home to see my kids before I leave for SLC in the morning. Looks like I am going to be traveling a lot the balance of the year. Drat.

Brought all my gear so that I can train out here in SLC so we will see how the timing sets up.

Eduardo Chile
10-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Have you been able to do the juggernaut method or you waiting for after the tourney?

It'd be awesome to be neighbors, together we have better equipment than most commercial gyms in the area.

Derek Simonds
10-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Have you been able to do the juggernaut method or you waiting for after the tourney?

It'd be awesome to be neighbors, together we have better equipment than most commercial gyms in the area.

I am doing all of the warm ups and I really like them a lot. I have not started any of the actual workouts as I am really just banged up and wanting to get through Miami. I have read and re-read the programming twice all the way through. Based on my understanding of what I read I need to start 16 weeks out from my "A" tournament because I don't think I could successfully complete half of the workout at this moment in time. If I start 16 weeks out I can build in 2 half volume weeks and start at a low enough level that I can build into the actual 7 week program before a tournament. I am sending you an email.

Derek Simonds
10-19-2011, 06:24 AM
18 October 2011 Tuesday PM in MST

Got up at the usual time and spent time with the family. I also got to drive Laney to school so that made the morning for me. Got on my flight to SLC and was stuck all the way in the back. No big deal just made for a long, long flight. Ended up sitting in an airplane for over 7 hours yesterday. UGH. That will make you not feel so good.

I am actually in a little town called Orem UT. It is right next to Lindon UT. Lindon UT happens to be the home of University of Grappling with Ricky Lundell. Ricky is something of a prodigy. Speaking of Prodigies he just got done training BJ Penn for his upcoming fight with Diaz. He is also heading to Vegas to train Frank Mir for the rest of the week. Ricky was super nice and very welcoming to me. It is always a pleasure to meet someone as talented and in demand as he is and they are a down to earth person.

BJJ: Drilled three different mount escapes and then went to positional grappling. My partner was understanding that I have a tournament this weekend and we went at about 70%. Lots of good movement.

No-Gi: We worked two different takedown defenses that I have never seen before. I don't even know if I could explain them in words. In the end you have your opponent in a basket and can move to your position. It all comes from weaving your leg that is being attacked around their leg and then underhooking the opposite leg. Grappled for another 30 minutes and called it a night.

Ricky made several comments about my movement and how technical I was and that always make you feel good. I was smoked when I was done not from using too much strength but I was super tired from the long day. Oh and one other small detail they are at 5000 feet above sea level. I noticed that right away during the warm up.

Derek Simonds
10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Brutal week of work and travel... Made it home on Friday in time to head to the academy for a little drilling.

21 October 2011 Friday

BJJ Competition Class: Drilled with Rich and Rich. Shared a couple of the techniques I learned and just spent a few minutes on the mat.

22 October 2011 Saturday

Miami International Open

I fought in the heavy weight division. I don't know what is going on with my weight. I weighed in Friday night and was 206 in my gi. I weighed in at the tournament and I was 199??? I was giving up at least 8 lb's and I don't like that. I wasn't dehydrated that I could tell. Who knows.

In the final match I had an opponent that was 207 and absolutely shredded. He was shorter then me and afterwards he told me he cut from 218 to make weight. Dude was freaking strong.

The match went the distance with one interesting piece. I had him in my spider guard, which is me holding his gi sleeves and my feet on his biceps. It is a great position for me to attack from and I was very well. He decided that he was going to try and pass while standing and absolutely stomped on my balls. I have video but it is on my wifes phone. I will get it later today. You can see him just unload and his foot comes down right in my crotch and then he stands on that leg and his other leg is off the ground!!!

I have never in my life been hit so hard in the family jewels. I got the ref to stop the fight so I could fish my testicles out of my abdomen and we started again.

I was pretty pissed so I got super aggressive and just went after him. I had a pass and then an arm triangle set up right as time expired. I wanted the submission badly...

Once I got off the mat I had to sit down for about 10 minutes as every time I moved I felt like I was going to puke. It is interesting to me that during the fight I was able to continue to perform even though I was in great pain. It wasn't until afterwards when the pain really hit me.

Anyways, here is a picture of me with a lot of the people that went down yesterday. Tracy and Laney were also there but they were the ones taking the picture.

http://i54.tinypic.com/11c5k3l.jpg

As a side note I saw the guy after we got our medals and he was leaving the tournament and it appears that he was pretty embarrassed as he was saying "everyone is talking about what I did to you". He never apologized during the match and it wasn't until about 15 minutes afterwards he came up and said sorry.

I honestly thought a couple of my friends were going to come over the fence and go nuts. There is some interesting sound bites on the video.

Very sore today but I seem to be ok.

Arien Malec
10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Glad you are OK.

I assume from the color of the medal that you took the match; should have won by default. Congratulations!

Derek Weaver
10-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Getting hit in the 'nads in a fight of any sort is a true test of your focus. I'm not kidding. There's a video of some Krav Maga guys drilling and they simulate jumping a guy and the dude takes one square to the jewels. He freezes and gets clocked and the drill was over.

Being able to tap the adrenaline and still win is a testament to focus and determination.

That's my long way of saying that only champs can do that. Rad.

Derek Simonds
10-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Here is a clip from the fight on Saturday. This is the section where my opponent stomps on my family jewels while trying to pass my guard. I seriously thought I was going to pass out. Luckily I had enough adrenalin in my system to get through it. It happens right at 45 seconds. Watch the girls in front of the cameras reaction and then watch what the ref does after he calls time. Thankfully I was able to finish and get the win. I am still sore today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CeXKlXCobU

Thanks Derek. Arien I did win but they only gave him a warning during the fight. I was pretty pissed truthfully when it all happened. The Gold Medal did help overcome the pissed offededness well that and a lot of ice...

Derek Simonds
10-25-2011, 08:07 AM
24 Monday 2011

Forgot to post that I worked out...

Press up to 95 x 5 x 4
Chin ups 3,4,3,3,3,3
Ring rows 10 x 3

Db floor press 30 x 15, 40 x 20 x 3
FG db curlz 25 x 20 x 3

Abz...

Off to Toronto.

Derek Simonds
10-28-2011, 06:15 AM
26 Oct 2011 Wednesday

Hotel workout. Lots of band prehab stuff, then sets of pushups with the red band X 10, 30 Red Band Bicep Curlz and 45 Red band Tricep Press.

28 Oct 2011 Friday

D W/U
Lots of Foam Rolling
Lacrosse Ball Work

Clean & Jerk from 95 on the 5's X 3 up to 135 X 2 X 3 (not snappy today)

Fat Gripz DB Incline Press up to 50 X 8,10,10
BB Rowz 135 X 5 X 3

FG DB Hold 50 LB's X 1 minute

25 LB PLate Iso Hold + 5 LB's every 10 seconds up to 3 plates and then back down and up again for a total of 2 minutes.

Nice and quick. Really wasn't feeling the snap in my clean. Jerks were no problem. Shoulder is still really sensitive on the bench. Looking forward to a resolution of that problem soon.

I am going to be doing a lot more iso stuff in the near future. I believe it is an integral part of BJJ and am going to play with some different positions.

Eduardo Chile
10-28-2011, 06:48 AM
What kind of Iso stuff? l think it's good way to get strong, but strength gains are joint angle specific. (been reading The science and practice of Strength training)

Plus, any ideas on how to quantify it effectively?

Good work on the C&J.

Derek Simonds
10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I haven't read that but agree with what you just said. I have 4 specific Iso type movements in mind.

1) Bent arm holds (simulated RNC using abz straps, plate holds with arms at 90 degrees)
2) Fat Gripz farmers walks and holds (weight and time are key to this)
3) DB Incline Press holds at the top (this is similar to pushing off an opponent trying to pass guard)
4) Swiss Ball Squeezes and Triangle type holds (guard retention and finishing, the triangle hold will be done while shooting the legs up in the air with the butt off the ground)

No idea on how to quantify it yet... stay tuned.

Eduardo Chile
10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Interesting stuff.

I think with the RNC, it shouldn't just be a hold, you should actively be trying to squeeze inward. The weight would have to be something you can't move but you really exert yourself.

In other words, not just 20 pounds and holding it at the angle, but saying putting 200 lbs and trying to move it.

With the guard, maybe hanging off the power rack with a keg filled with weight and trying to keep it held?

Derek Simonds
10-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Ok now you are thinking the right way. The RNC is actually holding an RNC using the abz straps while hanging all of your body weight from a pull up bar. Based on what you are saying I think the thing to do would be feed your arms through the abz strraps and have a med ball in there as well to simulate a neck.

Check out this video at 1:30 for the general concept. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXPxmOcxLek

Derek Simonds
10-29-2011, 07:48 AM
29 Oct 2011 Friday PM

Did a pretty cool W/U

First round
5 takedowns run across gym and then 5 armbars X 5 times

Second round
2 armbars, 2 triangles, butterfly sweep, knee on belly spin to armbar wash rinse repeat for 4 minutes

Third round
Standing guard pass, side control, kimura to mount. Opponent mount escape to same set of moves wash rinse repeat 4 minutes

Rest of class was open mat, free training. I worked on how to handle an opponent that was aggressively pushing into me from spider guard. I was shown a couple of really neat moves that play right into my game. I am going to work on those for a while.

Derek Simonds
10-30-2011, 02:39 AM
30 Oct 2011 Saturday

BJJ: Got stuck in a traffic jam on the way to class and missed warm ups. Did learn a cool escape from a pass while you are in bottom half guard with a cool little choke if it is set up correctly.

Grappled 3 matches and had some fun then stayed and drilled on some stuff for another 40 minutes. About 2 hours total time on the mat today. Good stuff.

Derek Simonds
10-31-2011, 03:36 AM
31 October 2011 Monday

D W/U
Juggernaut WU

Bench up to 155 x 5, 165 x 5,3, 135 x 5
Ring rows x 5 x 10

My workout partner strained a muscle in his back yesterday so we did a lot of pre hab and warm up stuff this morning. It was also raining so that put a damper on doing some of the stuff I had planned for today.

Happy Halloween to all.

Derek Simonds
10-31-2011, 08:08 AM
A little tumbling goodness from Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kva7ffGNSGg&feature=channel_video_title

Derek Simonds
11-02-2011, 07:21 AM
31 Oct 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Just really wasn't feeling good last night. Mostly tired I think. Worked with a fairly new big guy who has a strong wrestling background. My lower back feels a little spotty this morning but no big deal.

1 Nov 2011 Wednesday AM

D W/U
Juggernaut W/U

Med Ball Explosive throws: 6 each of OH Backwards, OH Forward, Rotational, Scoop, Long Jump Forward and High Jump Upwards. Did this on the road which has just recently been re-blacktopped with a 12 lb Nike reactive med ball and my partner in the dark. Kind of was like adult dodge ball in the dark with a black ball that would peel your fingers off if you misjudged it... Good Times!

BS: up to 185 X 1 X 3
18" Step Ups with 2 X 30 LB DB's X 6 X 3 (used the diesel coaching cue of opposite foot pull toes up)

My lower back was not happy this morning and I am guessing I strained it a little working mount escapes with the new guy last night. Oh well.

My yearly physical is tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it (well not all of it). I have a list of things I want to talk with my doctor about and plan on making the best use of the time I can.

One last note both of my kids made honor roll. Yes I am proud of them. This morning was Jr's awards breakfast at his school and it was very nice.

Arien Malec
11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Med Ball Explosive throws: 6 each of OH Backwards, OH Forward, Rotational, Scoop, Long Jump Forward and High Jump Upwards. Did this on the road which has just recently been re-blacktopped with a 12 lb Nike reactive med ball and my partner in the dark. Kind of was like adult dodge ball in the dark with a black ball that would peel your fingers off if you misjudged it... Good Times!

This sounds 100% awesome.

My lower back was not happy this morning and I am guessing I strained it a little working mount escapes with the new guy last night. Oh well.

I woke up on Friday with an adductor strain that made it impossible to walk. By Sunday, I was doing BS 225#x7. Just part of getting old, I guess.

My yearly physical is tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it (well not all of it). I have a list of things I want to talk with my doctor about and plan on making the best use of the time I can.

I can surprisingly relate. I want to know my t, d, lipids, markers of inflammation, etc. Alas, California doesn't allow self-testing, or I'd just go out and do it.

One last note both of my kids made honor roll. Yes I am proud of them. This morning was Jr's awards breakfast at his school and it was very nice.

1000% awesome!

Derek Simonds
11-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks Arien. Sitting here at the doctors waiting and waiting... My BP was 100/60 and my pulse was 60. I was pleasantly surprised with both. I am really proud of what my kids are doing.

3 November 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ fundamentals: more escapes from mount and then armbar from mount.

BJJ advanced: fun little set of moves. Armbar then when they stack and pull their arm out reset and attack the other arm with an armbar that I had never seen before. If they defend that go for a triangle and the. If they defend that there is a simple sweep.

Grappled 3 matches and had some good success.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2011, 06:19 AM
04 November 2011 Friday

Played in a charity golf outing hosted by a really good client in GA. I didn't play well, not bad but what do you expect playing golf 3 times a year. I did have one humongous drive that I hit blind to the landing area and blew right over the heads of the foursome in front of us. The landing area was on the other side of a large hill. When we pulled up over the hill Ryan Klesko was yelling who hit that shot. I responded me and he was like man you crushed it. Nice ball. Ryan was a cool guy to hang around with during the tournament and when he hit the ball it went forever.

05 November 2011 Saturday

Took the family to Kennedy Space Center. What a great trip. We bought the tickets a while back at a charity auction and at the time they were the best tickets available. Apparently 3 weeks ago they started a new tour that takes you through the vehicle assembly building. We upgraded for that tour and it was worth every penny.

The VAB is an amazing building on its own but we got to stand about 20 feet from Endeavour.

http://i42.tinypic.com/3yc2a.jpg

I feel such a sense of pride whenever I visit KSC or the Smithsonian and realize how much our country has truly achieved over the last 200 years. Some pretty darn cool stuff.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2011, 06:34 AM
07 November 2011 Monday AM

I have written about the pain I have been having in my left shoulder. Well it has been really bad over the last 6 weeks. Looking at my log you can see the limited amount of pressing I have been doing. While at my physical on Thursday I told the doc we got to get this resolved, I am tired of being in pain and not able to do the things I want to do. He said deal with it you are getting old and its arthritis. I said no it isn't that is a cop out.

He had me do one movement and it hurt like hell, he said see, again I said no it isn't. He said ok and put me through a whole series of tests and saw that the pain was only in specific places. He then started feeling around on my shoulder stopped and looked at me and said we need an xray. After the xray he said man I know why you are in pain you have a separated shoulder. He showed my how the clavicle is sticking up about a 1/2 an inch from the AC joint. So I am going in for an MRI tomorrow to determine how bad it is.

Today was the official first day of the Juggernaut training protocol.

3 Juggernaut W/U
Running W/U

Sprints 4 X 20/20/35 M's

Reactive Box Jumps 24" X 2 X 4
Push Ups onto a 5" Box X 2 X 4

Floor Press 25 X 8, 30 X 8, 40 X 8 X 4
BB 95 LB Row X 8 X 5

FG 50 DB Shrugz X 15
Thumb Up Flye X 8 LB DB X 15
BB Drag Curlz X 15

I have really been playing with my running technique and I had a break through this weekend. Last week I read the NY Times article about barefoot running and it made sense. I practiced it Fri, Sat and Sun and guess what? I was able to do it this morning.

I had about 9 minutes left over so it all worked out well as far as timing goes.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Here is a link to the NY Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?_r=3

Derek Simonds
11-08-2011, 07:15 AM
07 November 2011 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Went in early and trained with my buddy Rich for about 30 minutes. Nothing too intense just some movement patterns and sweeps. Fundamentals was good all about side control. We worked two different escapes and one submission. Rich and I drilled some different moves from side we have been working on.

08 November 2011 Tuesday

Day 2 Juggernaut Training

Joint W/U
Med Ball W/U
Foam Roll

Med ball explosive throws 12 LB Med Ball
6 each of OHB, Diving, OHF, Rotational (6 each side), Scoop, Shot Put (6 each side)

Tempo Runs + 30 Second Plank
80, 80
80, 160, 80
80, 160, 80

BS up to 135 X 8 X 2 (I actually felt like I was going to puke)
GM up to 95 X 15 X 2

Wow. I am getting a feeling for the training. Explosive, Conditioning, Lifting. I like it. I was very disappointed with how I felt in the squats. Oh well it will all come together.

Derek Simonds
11-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Well the MRI sucked. First one I have ever done and it was less then enjoyable. I was in the machine for an hour and fifteen minutes. Apparently I am not a champion at holding still. He had to re shoot at least twice. What sucked was the position I had to lay in for them to get my shoulder. I am too large for the bed so my right side was laying off the bed and my right hand was wedged under my butt to keep it from falling off the table.

It is done though and I am awaiting the call from my doctor. I asked the MRI tech to have the radiologist note what type of acromion I have. I figure how many chances like this do you get.

My legs from my knee down are on fire. Apparently my work on this new style of running is getting some different muscles engaged.

Eduardo Chile
11-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I had one in my elbow with the dye once. Not pleasant to say the least!

Hope the results come back ok, and it's something that can be corrected in no time!

The more I think about the running issues people have with heel striking, the more I think it's poor glute activation and not knowing how to run properly. Great article! Hence all the issues with the invention of the desk job.

Kevin Perry
11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
What happened to your shoulder? That sucks about the mri

Arien Malec
11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
MRIs are major suckfests. Hope you learn good things.

Derek Weaver
11-10-2011, 12:15 AM
MRIs really do suck. Boring, claustrophobia on the older models... not a great time.

Hope things look alright in there.

Derek Simonds
11-11-2011, 05:52 AM
On the MRI front. Here is the deal. My shoulder has been giving me trouble for a while. I don't know exactly what I did recently that got it so aggravated but I did something. The first issue was that it is separated. That is new so I am going to guess I did it during one of the take down sparring sessions I did getting ready for the Pan Ams. Not certain but the type of separation I have is common for that kind of impact. Based on the xray at my physical the doctor ordered the MRI and here we are today. They came back with 6 different issues with my shoulder. I left the paper at my office but the things I can remember are.

1) Partial intrasubstance tear supraspinatus
2) Cysts on humeral head and tuberocity
3) Hypertrophic degeneration of the glenohumeral socket
4) Posterior deltoid strain

I also asked what type of acromion I have and it is a type 2. I can't remember where I read an article recently about pressing that talked specifically about the types of acromion and the impact on pressing. If anyone has seen that article post it here for me please and thanks.

The other two were things I had never heard of so I guess that is why I can't remember them. I am getting a referral to an ortho so I can get a second opinion on treatment modalities. If I can get healed with PT yeah. If it takes surgery to insure my quality of life and ability to continue doing the things I enjoy so be it.

I am going to spend some serious time on the phone this weekend with my sister and do a lot of research and see what I can find on different options.

In the mean time I am going to continue to train both weights and BJJ with a focus on pain free range of motion for anything involving my shoulder.

Derek Simonds
11-11-2011, 06:00 AM
9 November 2011 Wednesday

BJJ Fundamentals: I worked out for 30 minutes before class with Rich and we drilled a bunch of things from spider guard and x guard. All good stuff. Class was a repeat of Monday and Rich and I got some one on one from Marcio on a couple of tips. He also shared some more stories with us from back in Brazil. Really neat when he starts talking history.

10 Nov 2011 Thursday

My daughter has all her skills to be moved up to competitive team but she needs some additional upper body strength so she asked if she can get up early two or three days a week and work out with me. How can you say no to that. :D

I am only getting her up 15 minutes early but she thinks it is the greatest thing evah. We are doing a really simple program. P/U and Push Up ladders. 1,2,3 X 3 and then move up a set every time she gets through the last set unassisted. So far she has done through the first 2 sets by herself and I help her on her P/U's on the last set. Her push ups though are a thing of beauty. In fact next workout she will do 2,3,4 on push ups.

I did the ladder with her. :) That made her like the workout even more. I love my daughter.

11/11/11 Friday

Just had to write the date that way. In a hotel in Birmingham AL.

Juggernaut Power W/U and Joint Mobility

Elliptical Intervals 10/15/20 seconds on with 30 seconds of rest. I did the intervals full on using the handles. Everything was done at level 10 and I completed 4 sets of intervals. On my last set my HR was 184 at the conclusion of the 20 seconds and 2 minutes later my HR was 146. Not to shabby. It took 3:30 to get my HR down to 130.

Tried some Plyo push ups but no go.

DB Incline Bench 15,20,25 X 20
DB Incline Curlz 15 X 10 X 3
DB Rowz X 40 X 20 X 3

Did some quick shoulder mobility stuff and called it a day.

Arien Malec
11-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Here's something:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/in_defense_of_overhead_lifting;jsessionid=C1CDAF81 7E6D37B403B88D6033C87AB0-mcd01.hydra

I remember something more recent, but couldn't find it quickly.

Good luck on the shoulder.

Great to be able to workout with your daughter; I've been trying to get my daughter to get interested to improve her soccer or climbing, to no avail. I do get to climb with her, which is great.

Derek Simonds
11-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Arien thanks for that link. That was a good article. I will do a lot of those tests this weekend. It is great to be able to do stuff with the kids. I am especially happy since I didn't ask her to do it. I figure I am going to enjoy this as much as possible before her social life takes over.

I finally remembered who wrote the article and it was Mike Robertson. I read the summary on his blog and the linked article in T-Nation. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/long_live_the_overhead_press Here is the important part.

There are three types of acromions, and they're roughly distributed between thirds of the population. In other words, 1/3 of you have a Type 1, another 1/3 have a Type 2, and the final 1/3 have a Type 3.

Type 1. Genetically blessed and probably able to overhead press without issue. I would imagine most high-level Olympic lifters fall into this category.

Type 2. 50/50, could go either way. You might be fine pressing overhead (especially if your mechanics are on point), but then again, you might not.

Type 3. Your shoulder genetics are giving you the middle finger. You may do many things right in your programming but overhead pressing still gives you issues.

50/50 for me with my type 2 acromion. The bad part is that my mechanics have definitely not been on point with the injuries I have been nursing. Lots of stuff to work on that is for sure.

Derek Simonds
11-12-2011, 07:09 AM
12 November 2011 Saturday

Juggernaut W/U + lots of extra stretching

Med Ball Throws 7 of each with 20 LB Med Ball OHB, Scoop and OHF
Med Ball Throws 7 of each side with 12 LB Med Ball Rotational and Shot Put

Tempo Runs + Plank

BS up to 135 X 8 X 2

Ran out of time and then all of sudden I had a lot of time. Jr needed to get to gym and then my wife says Laney and me are going Christmas shopping and now I am all by myself :eek: I am picking Jr up in an hour and we are heading to BJJ. Tracy is on a mission to get all of our Christmas stuff done by the end of November since her surgery is December 8th. Should make for an interesting couple of weeks.

Derek Simonds
11-14-2011, 05:58 AM
12 November 2011 Saturday

BJJ All Levels: Good class that focused on the details of x guard I was drilling with Simpson from Friday night. Grappled 3 or 4 matches. Felt really good other then the obvious arm issue.

Derek Simonds
11-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Spent about 6 hours total working on an interior decorating project with my wife. She designed, picked out and sewed a custom valance and curtains for our living room. She also laid bought the wood for it and I ended up over engineering it, building it and installing it. I am pretty pleased with how it came out. And if I ever need to snap out some p/u's in the living room it works just fine for that. Talk about functional decorating. :D

http://i44.tinypic.com/64l7p1.jpg

Derek Simonds
11-14-2011, 06:52 AM
14 November 2011 Monday

No workout partner this week

D W/U
Juggernaut W/U
Foam Roll

6 X 20/40/60 yard sprints

23" reactive box jumps X 2 X 6
Strict push ups X 2 X 6

DJ 1 arm press 5 LB DB up to 30 LB DB X 5 on way up and X 8 on way down
15 LB DB Curlz X 20 X 2

I am in a lot of pain this morning in my upper back, neck and shoulder. Not sure what I did to inflame it but it is a doozy. I am going to continue to take it easy this week while still doing some movements.

Eduardo Chile
11-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Nice decorating! Looks very nice.

Hope you can figure out the shoulder without surgery.

I'm going to Tuesday BJJ. Hope to see you there.

Derek Simonds
11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
14 November 2011 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: All basic all the time.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Took yesterday completely off. I helped Laney with her workout but didn't train.

16 November 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll
Juggernaut W/U

Med Ball Throws
20 LB'er Scoop, OHF, OHB, Diving X 6
12 LB'er Rotational and Shot Put X 6 each side

Tempo Runs + 2 Perfect Push Ups (not the handles just technically perfect :) ), Short = 80 Yards, Long = 160 Yards
Short, Short, Long
Short, Long, Long
Short X 4
I think that is a grand total of 1040 yards. Pretty decent amount of work today.

BS 45 X 5 X 2, 95 X 5 X 2, 135 X 3 X 4

I was playing with some stuff in my setup today on BS. With my current shoulder pain it is dang hard to get a really good setup and hold it. I am going to try and get over to Chile's place and try his safety squat bar. IF that makes a difference I am going to pick one up.

The tempo runs felt great just a little tightness in the calves. I need a 15 LB med ball so I am going to stop in a couple of local places and see what I can scrounge up.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2011, 01:43 PM
I know some of you remember Leo at Crossfit Evolution. He just hosted his annual Iron Curtain challenge and I let him use our golf cart. He generously gave me a pair of Forged Fitness shorts they gave him. I contacted Forged as I needed a slightly larger pair... and they were willing to swap them. I went ahead and bought a hat also. Who could have too many black flex fit hats? The shorts and hat got here today and they rock. In fact I am wishing that I was working out tonight just so I could break them in.

Here is a link to the shorts. http://forgedclothing.com/mens/200-FSB.html Seriously some of the best quality workout shorts I have ever worn.

Derek Weaver
11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
A safety squat bar or even a cambered bar may be good. I've thought about it since my shoulders aren't real big fans of racking a bar across the back.

I'd forgotten about Leo. I hope he's doing well.

Eduardo Chile
11-17-2011, 06:17 AM
A safety squat bar will definitely help out. I've been working on my shoulder external rotation and my shoulders rarely bother me from squatting anymore. Now, if I could just figure things out on the bench too, I'll be money.

Sorinex has free shipping Black Friday weekend. I think I might get an unnecessarily large kettlebell.

Derek Simonds
11-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Sorinex has free shipping Black Friday weekend. I think I might get an unnecessarily large kettlebell.

Cool. I know that Elite is going to have a big black Friday / cyber Monday sale also and have been thinking about a swiss bar and an SSB. I am waiting to see the details.

Derek Simonds
11-17-2011, 07:02 AM
16 November 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Rear choke defense, hip throw, scissor sweep 1 and 2 and triangle. Specific drilling from scissor sweep position.

17 November 2011 Thursday

50 OH med ball throws with 6 lb'er
50 25 each arm shot put throws 6 lb'er

2,4,6 X 3 strict push ups while helping Laney with her workout.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2011, 06:11 AM
18 November 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll

2 X 200 easy jog W/U

4 X 20/40/60 + 2 perfect push ups each run

23.5" reactive box jumps X 4 X 2
Kneeling push ups plus X 20 X 2

DB incline bench 30 X 12, 40 X 15,12,10
Chin Ups X 6 X 4
Doubled red band pull aparts X 20 X 4

20 LB DB Curlz X 20

Everything is coming together nicely. I need to speed up a little on all movements if I am going to be able to do any accessory work.

Arien Malec
11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
SSB would be great, but I'd prefer to see you get healthy shoulders :)

Are you holding off on rehab until you get the PT?

Derek Simonds
11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
SSB would be great, but I'd prefer to see you get healthy shoulders :)

Are you holding off on rehab until you get the PT?

Yeah me too. I am going to get a referral to a sports PT hopefully on who is trained in ART. I am going to have arthoscopic decompression surgery on my shoulder in January. The doctor is convinced that I will have pain free ROM and my tear will heal on its on if it is not being aggravated by the acromion and clavicle.

Derek Simonds
11-19-2011, 11:49 AM
18 November 2011 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Worked some fun stuff off the knee cut pass from inverted DLR. Grappled two rounds one with Chris and one round with Simpson. I managed to get a triangle on Simpson and then he defended and I was able to use it for the sweep. I thought wow how bout them apples and then he humiliated me... Great times.

19 November 2011 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll
Juggernaut W/U

Med Ball throws with 20 LB'er
OHB, OHF, Scoop, Diving and Vertical all by 6

.4 Mile easy jog then 6 X 100 tempo runs + 3 P/U's

BS up to 135 X 4 X 3
Goat Belly Swings or Zercher GM's with 28 KG KB X 10 X 5

19 November 2011 Saturday Lunch

BJJ All Levels: Very few people showed up so we did an open mat. I grappled pretty much non stop with HW purple belts for over an hour. I rested for about 10 minutes in the middle of class but otherwise I was active the entire time. I grappled with my old training partner Raphael who I haven't seen in forever. He has been training with our old Prof. and at another school. His attacks on the leg were beautiful.

Chile looked at my BS position and how I was setting up and I think for now I am going to switch over to FS for the Juggernaut program. Once I get my shoulder surgery I will work the BS again. I am just having too much pain in that position.

Arien Malec
11-19-2011, 12:58 PM
The doctor is convinced that I will have pain free ROM and my tear will heal on its on if it is not being aggravated by the acromion and clavicle.

Good news!

Derek Simonds
11-21-2011, 06:33 AM
21 November 2011 Monday AM

D W/U
Juggernaut W/U

Sprint 20/40/60 + 3 push ups X 5

Explosive Box Jumps X 25" X 4 X 2

DB Incline Bench 30 X 6, 40 X 6, 50 X 6,6,10
DB Rowz X 35 X 15,15, 40 X 15,15

And then my daughter got up and we had a doggie poopalapooza in her room. It was her turn to have Deja sleep in her room. Well apparently during the middle of the night Deja had explosive diarrhea and then got back into bed with Laney. Oh my what a mess. We spent the next hour getting that mess under control. Yuck, yuck and more yuck. Thankfully my wife and I make a good team when it comes to stuff like that. Neither one of us is overly susceptible to smells or getting grossed out.

I had planned on hitting some accessory stuff but as you can see duty (and I mean that in every sense of the word) called. BJJ tonight. Yeah.

Eduardo Chile
11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
That just ain't right!

Arien Malec
11-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Nurses, parents, and dog owners are all desensitized to the grody stuff.

Derek Simonds
11-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Nurses, parents, and dog owners are all desensitized to the grody stuff.

My wife happens to be all three of those. Specifically she was a geriatric nurse that apparently is a whole new level of grodiness...

It is never funny when it happens but sitting here thinking about everything that went down this morning just makes me smile. I am so happy I can find joy in a mess like that. It would have been so easy to be pissed off and let it impact my day but I am refusing to let it have any negative effect.

Oh and one other thing that makes me smile. I drive 5 kids to school most mornings I am in town. This morning I heard a random quote from the backseat. The age range of the kids is 1st grade through 4th grade. This was from a 4th grade boy and had me laughing almost hysterically.

My motto is always more cheese!

Derek Simonds
11-22-2011, 05:39 AM
21 November 2011 Monday PM

BJJ: Trained with Rich for about 45 minutes before class just screwing around with different things I have been working.

BJJ Fundamentals: It was fundamentals...

Derek Simonds
11-22-2011, 05:42 AM
22 November 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Juggernaut W/U
Foam Rolling specifically my glutes which are all knotted up

Med Ball Throws 20 Lb'er X 6 Scoop, Diving, OHB, Vertical 12 LB'er X 6 each side rotational and shot put

FS up to 135 X 6 X 3

Tempo Runs 100 Yards X 8

My daughter got up to do her workout and because we were behind schedule we came back inside the garage and did FS first. Not going to do that again. Runs definitely need to come before FS.

Eduardo Chile
11-22-2011, 06:26 AM
The sprints sounded rough!

I used a lacrosse ball on my shoulder for the first time yesterday. Ouch!!!

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/rehabilitation/did-you-know-youre-dysfunctional/

Derek Simonds
11-22-2011, 11:46 AM
That is some good stuff right there. I am going to run through all of those with a lacrosse ball now.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I used a lacrosse ball on my shoulder for the first time yesterday. Ouch!!!

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/rehabilitation/did-you-know-youre-dysfunctional/

I have done most of those in the past but man I got some bad spots right now.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2011, 10:10 AM
22 November 2011 Tuesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked with a visitor from Anchorage AK. He was down for the holidays and wanted to get some training in. Lots of fun stuff.

23 November 2011 Wednesday AM

Foam Roll
Juggernaut W/U

Box Jump 26.5 Inches X 4 X 2
Push Up onto 4 inch boxes X 4 X 2

Press up to 75 X 15, 80 X 12, 85 X 10
Chin Up 6 X 6

Run the rack DB Curlz 5 to 35 back to 5 X 8 each weight
Run the rack DB Shrugz 25 to 65 back to 25 X 8 each weight

Finish packing for time. Off to the island for Thanksgiving.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh and last night I got a little surprise at BJJ

http://i40.tinypic.com/w9zgja.jpg

Half way to brown... just a little further down the path.

Kevin Perry
11-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Awesome Dude, congrats!

Derek Simonds
11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Had a just a splendid time off with the family. Ate a lot but not too much, drank a lot but not too much, and fished a lot but seriously can there ever be too much fishing...

Laney was sort of patiently waiting her turn... she seriously was a trooper though. She got an assist on the biggest flounder of the night and gigged a nice one on her own.

http://i43.tinypic.com/66eovq.jpg

Jr hooked up on a nice blue using a topwater plug.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hd3y4m.jpg

Here he is with the fish.

http://i41.tinypic.com/244zg1y.jpg

Not a bad catch for a couple of hours on Wednesday and a couple on Thursday.

http://i41.tinypic.com/25j9smw.jpg

Derek Simonds
11-28-2011, 09:37 AM
We could have caught 100 of these Spanish Mackarels but Tracy got sea sick from the waves in the bay.

http://i40.tinypic.com/mio1v5.jpg

So we did what all good boat Captains do we beached the boat and watched the sunset on the Gulf of Mexico. The kids swam a little and caught hermit crabs, the dog ran on the beach and got some exercise, and Tracy got to feeling better for the ride home.

That is a gigantic navigational buoy that broke free during a storm and washed ashore.

http://i44.tinypic.com/23kryxe.jpg

Laney and I went for a walk on the beach most mornings and really enjoyed the time. We picked up lots of shells and probably about 20 perfect sand dollars. We only took the best ones home. I told her the story about the guy going down the beach and throwing star fish back into the ocean and we did the same for anything we found alive on the beach.

http://i39.tinypic.com/w6qm8j.jpg

And of course it wouldn't be a Simonds family trip without L-Sits and Pull Ups. Jr. Where he was doing this L-Sit did not make his mother happy.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2wml7pg.jpg

Derek Simonds
11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
28 November 2011 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll
Juggernaut W/U

6 X 30 Yard Sprints + 3 Push Ups X 4 times. Basically no rest other then the walk back.

Press up to 95 X 6 X 3
Ring Rowz 10 X 4

Somehow I was moving in slow motion today and just flat ran out of time.

Arien Malec
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow. These pictures are full of win and goodness. Looks like an amazing time.

Derek Simonds
11-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Got up at 05:00 yesterday, drove to Macon GA, had a 2 hour meeting, ate lunch, got in the car and drove home. Spent over 11 hours driving yesterday and was seriously kinked up when I got home. Had a quick sleep and woke up still kinked up... Did some serious stretching.

D W/U
Foam Rolling

It was seriously cold for FL this morning. Around 40 degrees so I changed up the workout a little.

Row 100 M's + 3 Push Ups + 5 40 LB DB rows each arm X 12 no rest. That actually was a nice little workout. I wasn't overly taxed but I was definitely feeling it by the time the 12th round came around.

FS up to 95 X 3 X 2, 135 X 3 X 5
GM's up to 95 X 10 X 3

Last set of GM's my hamstring was feeling very twingy so I stopped there. I finsihed with about 10 minutes of good deep stretching.

Eduardo Chile
11-30-2011, 06:59 AM
I agree it was rather cold this morning in the garage! Circuit looks pretty tough for 12 rounds!

Derek Simonds
12-01-2011, 05:46 AM
30 November 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ: Spent some time working a half guard pass into kimura with Rich before class. Played with a couple of half guard leg attacks with Kevin and then hit fundamentals. Key thing for me was realization that when I attack a sweep from spider guard I am not transitioning my foot back to the hip and am trying to hit the sweep with my foot on the bicep. That might be a key point for me!!!

I got to bed about 10:00 and slept till 06:00 and could have continued sleeping for a while. I have been out of ZMA for a while and picked some up last week. I am hoping that is why I am having these crazy vibrant dreams. It is that or I am totally exhausted. Last night Lebron and I were comparing our car pool stories before we worked out. Apparently I was his personal trainer. Who knows.

Tracy has decided she wants to do a figure/bikini competition in May. So I am starting to do some research on diets and workouts. Cool thing about that is the pictures...

I have to decide if I am competing at NAGA on the 17th. There is just so much going on in December it is killing me. I am traveling for work M,T,W next week, Tracy's surgery is on the 8th, the kids I are running in the annual Reindeer run at Sea World on the 10th and that is the same day as the GB yearly party.The 18th is a carbine competition that I shoot every year and my sister who lives in TN is coming in on the 20th so just a ton of things going on. Should be a lot of fun, crazy but fun.

Arien Malec
12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Your whole last post is so full of win that it's unbelievable. Hard to pick out the highest win factor, but I'd guess the figure competition aspect.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
2 December 2011 Friday

D W/U
Lacrosse Ball Work
Foam Roll
Juggernaut W/U

Box Jumps 23 X 5, 29 X 5, 31 X 5 X 2, 33 X 2
Push Ups X 10, BOSU Push Ups X 10 X 3

I was very happy with how I was jumping today. My buddy filmed the last set of 31". I think I will break 36" easily next week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R28GcDww_mk&list=UUM5Mauo1drCSqKuTwvjiwvQ&feature=plcp

DB Incline Bench 40 X 10 X 2, 50 X 15,12,10
Chin Up 4 X 6
Double Red Band Low Pulls 15 X 6

Tricep Press EZ Curl Bar + 30 LB's X 15 X 4
EZ Curlz + 30 LB's X 20

My shoulder didn't hurt today in any of the pressing movements and that is a huge win. The box jumps were fun. I am trying to figure out what I am going to jump on to keep moving up. I guess I will build a bigger box.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Your whole last post is so full of win that it's unbelievable. Hard to pick out the highest win factor, but I'd guess the figure competition aspect.

Thanks man, lots of fun stuff going on right now. Some serious stuff with 2 surgeries in our family but we are really having a good time.

Derek Weaver
12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I very much like your posts Derek.

I love ZMA. Every dream is like the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Arien Malec
12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Mg or ZMA puts me out deep. I've never had vivid dreams. I feel I'm missing something good.

Derek Simonds
12-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I very much like your posts Derek.

I love ZMA. Every dream is like the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I have never watched that movie. Looks like I need to check it out. Last night I had a weird apocalyptic dream where we were in a cabin in the woods of northern Michigan without a lot of food for the winter. Definitely bizzarro world. But I woke up rested!

My normal workout partner couldn't train today. Luckily I had someone special ask to train.

D W/U
Juggernaut W/U
Foam Roll

FS 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 3 X 2, 145 X 3 X 5
DL up to 225 X 3 X 3

My special guest worked up to a 100% BW FS on his first real session of FS'ing. Oh to be young and strong...

http://i44.tinypic.com/5mk8hx.jpg

We did FS first and then transitioned to DL. Jr loves to DL but he was a little surprised about how it feels to DL after a squat session. He told me dad I am not as strong as normal. I said yeah that is the way it feels. He has a pretty decent start position. We are still working on a couple of little details.

http://i39.tinypic.com/30svbs8.jpg

We had a great time hanging out, listening to music and laughing at each other. Jr is going to be a really strong boy. His gymnastics days are rapidly coming to an end. The team he is on cut back their hours again and now he is only practicing 6 hours a week. Most level 6 gymnast practice north of 12 hours a week. He is going to compete this year but I am guessing this will be his last year. He already told me that he is ready to start olympic lifting with Coach Danny Carmago and training BJJ. We shall see what happens next.

Arien Malec
12-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Impressive FS and nice DL position. He's going to be an oly monster: the early gymnastics training will pay dividends.

Derek Simonds
12-04-2011, 05:10 AM
03 December 2011 Saturday PM

We got a late start to BJJ but when I got there it was on like Donkey Kong! Guard pass and recovery drill guy on bottom had to have both hand thru their belt. Guy standing one hand thru their belt. Great drill and we did it line fashion with 30 people no rest. Then immediately went to a 4 position drill with takedowns, side control escape, mount escape and then live grappling. Did that for another 30 minutes and then free grappled for about 45 minutes. Good day and I was smoked when it was all over.

Eduardo Chile
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
That would be awesome to get involved with Olympic lifting so young! Sounds like a very promising future!

Derek Simonds
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
So you want to hear something really funny? I sprained my left middle finger. Ask me how, go ahead I dare ya... I have no clue. But it is jacked up. The first knuckle is damn close to 1.5 times normal. Yeah that is great for traveling. It is kind of funny with the splint on it though.

Did a DB workout while watching Broncos on Sunday. Tebow has definitely made it interesting to watch them. Traveled like mad Monday, Negotiated my arse off on Tuesday and did a presentation for the entire SE region of a major company today. I am home and getting everything prepped for Tracy's surgery in the morning.

Good thoughts and any spare prayers are always welcome. Shouldn't be a big deal at all but it is still surgery. We are there at 05:00 and should be home by noon.

Going to sleep fast tonight.

Arien Malec
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Any surgery is no fun. Best wishes to Tracy and you.

Derek Simonds
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Home from surgery and all is good. Doctor said it went better then he had hoped. There was some tearing in the cartilage in a place where he couldn't repair it but he was able to smooth it out so that there will be no catching on her femur. Pretty cool that when the surgery was done he could show me a print out with before and after pictures.

Not a lot of sleep last night but we are all good. Tracy is still feeling the effects of the surgical anesthesia so I am hoping her pain doesn't spike too much later in the day.

I am going to get a quick workout after I get the kids situated and be here for Tracy. All is good

Steve Burke
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Post surgery is no fun (the drugs dont even make up for it), hope all is well. :)

Quality pics of the kid lifting by the way :D

Derek Simonds
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Post surgery is no fun (the drugs dont even make up for it), hope all is well. :)

Quality pics of the kid lifting by the way :D

Thanks Steve, Jr is good kid and is really physically active. Tracy was pissed before surgery that they didn't let her enjoy the first chemical cocktail longer that they gave her. She got the injection went wow and then went right into surgery. So far we are doing good. She is having some pain at the incision site and general discomfort but doing pretty darn good.

Eduardo Chile
12-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Glad things are ok! Hope the recovery keeps going well.

Derek Simonds
12-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Glad things are ok! Hope the recovery keeps going well.

Thanks man. I am heading to the office for a couple of hours today and will text you later.

Derek Simonds
12-09-2011, 04:32 AM
09 December 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 150 X 3 X 5
GM 45 X 12 X 3

Not much time today and pretty darn tired so I punched the clock, got this done and spent the rest of the morning with the kids. Took it really easy on the GM's. I am running a 5K with the kids tomorrow at Sea World. There is going to be a ton of people so I am trying to figure out how to do it with Jr. Laney and I will be about 5 minutes behind him so he should be ok.

Derek Simonds
12-12-2011, 09:41 AM
09 December 2011 Friday

BJJ Competition Class: Good specific drilling and had a good quick workout before heading to pick up the kids. I unfortunately kicked a kid in the mouth and busted his lip. I was going easy and he was diving for my legs. I felt horrible. Oh well it isn't ballet.

10 December 2011 Saturday

Reindeer Run 5K at Sea World. Jr ran a 25:41, Laney and me ran a 30:00 straight up. I ran the entire time barefoot style in my minimus. All I can say are my calves hate me.

17 year anniversary for Marcio Simas and Gracie Barra Orlando party at Turkey Lake Park. Great time and lots of cool stuff

Orange City Christmas parade. I walked the route twice, not on purpose but had to be done. Laney walked with SGA and Jr walked with Fit Club. Funny how he was on his hands most of the time.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q2o801.jpg

11 December 2011 Sunday

Helped my workout partner move his outdoor supply business for time. The carwash had a major failure on the automatic and I got a get over here now call from my dad. We were able to work together and get the drive motor out and the new parts ordered and I got back to my kids and Andy to finish the move.

Throughout all of this I took care of my wife and all of the things that go into making our house run so she could recuperate. I am exhausted from the weekend but got up at 5:00 to do stuff around the house so that Tracy wouldn't have to this week.

I am a little tired today.

Oh and the workouts I had planned never materialized do to timing. Oh well.

Derek Simonds
12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
13 December 2011 Tuesday

Brutal day of travel. Up at 03:40 off to the airport, meetings in Baton Rouge, back to the airport and finally home at 24:00. That is a long day but I got to sleep in my own bed.

14 December 2011 Wednesday

D W/U

FS up to 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 175 X 1
GM up to 95 X 8 X 4

Another clock puncher...

Derek Simonds
12-14-2011, 07:52 AM
We have a gym next to our office. It is being used by a personal trainer. He just put two posters in the window of the gym. I am not really sure what he is advocating...

http://i40.tinypic.com/v3d73o.jpg

Poster on the left is for Super Slow Training (which according to the poster really works). Poster on the right is for Greyhound Fitness (as seen on TV the fastest full body workout around). Kind of incongruous don't you think?

Eduardo Chile
12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
We have a gym next to our office. It is being used by a personal trainer. He just put two posters in the window of the gym. I am not really sure what he is advocating...

http://i40.tinypic.com/v3d73o.jpg

Poster on the left is for Super Slow Training (which according to the poster really works). Poster on the right is for Greyhound Fitness (as seen on TV the fastest full body workout around). Kind of incongruous don't you think?

Muscle confusion?

Derek Simonds
12-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Muscle confusion? HA!

Derek Simonds
12-15-2011, 05:40 AM
15 December 2011 Thursday

I am seriously having a case of the almost Christmas vacation can't stay focused-itis... That and I am severely stressed due to some huge deals I am negotiating. If I can close both of these deals this month they would represent 31% of the total revenue we did last year. That would be HUGE.

D W/U

P/U's with Laney 1,2,3 X 3 + 3, 3
DB Press 25 X 10 30 x 10 x 4, 30 x 15

So much going on at the house right now it is crazy. I was up at 4:21 this morning no alarm just thinking about what I needed to do. No use lying there in bed so I got up and got at it. Both of the kids woke up early also. We made ham and cheese omelets together so that was great. Today is their last day of school and I fear for the teachers. I drove 5 elementary school kids this morning and they were on fire.

Derek Weaver
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Man, I remember those last days before a holiday.

I would guess many a teacher developed a drinking problem because of those days.

Derek Simonds
12-16-2011, 04:40 AM
Man, I remember those last days before a holiday.

I would guess many a teacher developed a drinking problem because of those days.

No Doubt! Both of the kids made it through without any problems, yeah them.

Derek Simonds
12-16-2011, 04:41 AM
A little box jump goodness for you guys. I will post my workout later.

Here is a 37.5" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBkYjYbsHs&list=UUM5Mauo1drCSqKuTwvjiwvQ&index=2&feature=plcp

Here is 40.5" this one was filmed by my daughter and is pretty funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxOHj11qJk&list=UUM5Mauo1drCSqKuTwvjiwvQ&index=1&feature=plcp

More later.

Derek Simonds
12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
16 December 2011 Friday

D W/U
Juggernaut Mobility W/U

Push Up X 5 X a lot
Box Jumps up to 40.5" X 2

FG DB Incline Bench up to 50 X 8 X 3
Double Red Band Low Pulls X 20 X 4

Lots of goofing around in the garage with mobility stuff and stretching through out the entire time.

I think I can hit 42" next time if I try. A buddy sent me a video of an NFL running back doing 36" box jumps with 40 LB DB's. Might have to have a go at that also. I can't go any higher on the jumps in the garage as I am touching my head when I stand up.

Arien Malec
12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice jumps. Not sure about adding DBs, though. What's the goal (besides coolness)?

Derek Simonds
12-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Nice jumps. Not sure about adding DBs, though. What's the goal (besides coolness)?

No goal other then a pro running back training at DeFranco's did it and I wonder if I could. I guess this one can be labeled under why does a dog lick his balls...

For some reason I forgot to log my BJJ this week.

15 December 2011 Thursday PM BJJ trained with Rich for 30 minutes and then BJJ Fundamentals.

16 December 2011 Friday PM BJJ Competition class. Trained lines drills with guy on bottom in open guard and both hands tucked in belt, guy standing one hand in belt. Did about 20 minutes of this then 20 minutes line drills with spider guard. Grappled one round with Simpson and got armbarred from KOB twice. I didn't fight it either time as he picked my left arm to go for. No need to do any more damage.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2011, 04:50 PM
17 December 2011 Saturday

FS up to 165 x 2, 165 x 1 x 8
GM up to 95 x 8 x 3

Box jumps + 2 20 lb db's 30" x 4 just messing around. Harder than I thought.

BJJ competition class: had a really good session ended up grappling with one of our black belts who is about my size. He knee barred me in a scramble we reset and he pulled guard and I was able to control the rest of the match. Felt really good. Grappled a 7 minute round with Chile and the highlight of the match was him going for a somersault pass from inside my butterfly guard. Just FYI that is a whole lot man to be flying over your head...

Derek Simonds
12-19-2011, 08:05 AM
19 December 2011 Monday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 5 X 5
Chin Up 2 X 10
BOSU Push Ups 10 X 4
Double Red Band Pull Aparts X 20 X 4

Hectic start to a hopefully short week.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2011, 06:59 AM
19 December 2011 PM

BJJ: Lots of cool drilling from spider guard and open guard

I went home to do an interview for two local TV stations. Late Saturday night some hooligans came through the neighborhood and vandalized and stole a bunch of Christmas decorations and inflatables. I hate stupidity.

Somehow I got elected the default spokesperson for the neighborhood. The second TV station asked if they could talk with the kids and Jr was just jumping at the bit to talk with them so I said ok. He completely and totally upstaged me. The reporter asked a couple of questions and then asked if this was going to ruin Christmas, Jr paused for a moment and said "no Christmas is about Jesus not inflatables". Pretty dang proud of my boy.

20 December 2011

D W/U

FS up to 165 X 1,2,3 X 2 on the minute
GM up to 95 X 8 X 3 really working on the left glute. I am trying to force it to activate more. I seem to be making progress with it. I still have to think about it every rep though.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Here is the link to the piece by Channel 6 news. The comments on this article are amazing to me. I had no idea I was showing off my wealth by having a blow up Santa in my front yard. Weird.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Elaborate-Christmas-decorations-stolen-from-neighborhood/-/1637132/6247354/-/crhd1iz/-/index.html

Anyways Jr done good. We did get in two visual shout outs first I was wearing my GBO shirt and Jr was wearing his Crossfit Evolution shirt. Nice that they both got TV time.

Derek Simonds
12-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Last night turned into an impromptu Christmas party that went a lot later then I planned. Based on lateness, sugary treats and adult beverages I decided to skip workout this morning.

My wife baked over 500 cookies of different types to pass out to people. I sampled the buckeyes, homemade thin mints, peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses pressed into them and butterscotch bars. I skipped the rice crispie treats and gingerbread cookies. Yummy...

http://i39.tinypic.com/34sjci9.jpg

Apparently Jr did such a good job in his interview with Channel 6 that Fox 35 news came by and wanted to interview him. He did good in this one also. http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/volusia_news/122011-christmas-decorations-stolen-in-deland

He is a good kid. It is funny to me that the news is making such a big deal out of this. I guess in a way it is a community interest piece. But seriously... there are some bigger problems out there.

Arien Malec
12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
It's a hard job, testing cookie samples like that.

Pretty amazing all around on the vandalism story. The fact that it happened, the media frenzy, and particularly the total levelheadedness and sense of your son!

Derek Simonds
12-23-2011, 04:18 AM
21 December 2011 Wednesday

BJJ: Trained a bunch of open guard stuff with your opponent standing. I worked on some fun things I have been wanting to try.

22 December 2011 Thursday

D W/U

FGDB Incline Bench up to 50 X 10 X 4
Double Red Band Pull Aparts 20 X 3
Chin Ups 5 X 4

DB Curlz + Press 20 X 12, 25 X 10, 30 X 8, 35 X 5

Off to work I went.

Derek Weaver
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Good for Jr the way he handled himself.

A shame that people feel the need to commit vandalism during the holidays.

Derek Simonds
01-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Hey guess what I am back. I took a nice little break from everything. Well kind of. I still worked out, did some BJJ and some conditioning but mainly I just spent the last 10 days with the family. We had an awesome holiday and because we didn't go anywhere Jr and I were able to get in a couple of dove hunting sessions, some serious range time and still do a ton of work around the house and the trailer at the redneck resort. Lots and I mean lots of good food, some late nights with friends and family and some good relaxation.

2012 I am ready for you!

Unfortunately I did something that did not agree with my shoulder at all. I spent the last couple of days in the most pain I have had consistently yet. Oh well only 8 days to surgery.

I am heading out of town now for business and plan on getting in some easy workouts over the next three days.

Kevin Perry
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Glad you had a good Christmas and new years, hope everything goes well with the surgery.

Derek Simonds
01-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks Kevin. I am seriously behind in reading everyones logs but I will get caught up soon I think...

03 Jan 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Band Work
Prehab Movements

DB Bench run the rack x 10 from 20 to 50
DB Row 40 X 10 X 7, 50 X 15

DB Curlz 15 X 30, 20 X 30

ABZ

04 Jan 2012 Wednesday
Band Work
Prehab Movements

DB Press 5 to 25 X 10
DB Tricep Extension 15 X 15, 20 X 15

Lots and lots of ABZ

Finishing up here in blustery, cold and dark at 4:20 Maine and heading to OH for a quick meeting tomorrow. Planning on some treadmill time in the morning.

Derek Simonds
01-07-2012, 08:01 AM
I had planned on training on Thursday but timing just didn't work out.

06 January 2012 Friday AM

D W/U

FS up to 155 X 5,3, 165 X 3
DL up to 275 X 3

BJJ Competition Class PM

Pretty intense warmup then

7 1 minute positional grappling rounds with a new opponent each minute
Followed by 1 6 minute live grappling round

Wash, rinse and repeat 4 times. Pretty darn intense night and one helluva a way to have my last training session for a while. I grappled with some really good guys and just was feeling it. I could see their attacks and counter with my own. I like it when I can flow like that.

07 January 2012 Saturday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 5, 105 X 3, 115 X 1, 120 X 1
Chin Ups X 2 X 10
Wrist Plate Curlz 10 LB'er X 10 X 2
BB Curlz X 20

We are off to Jr's first gymnastic meet of the year. He will be competing as a level 6 for the first time and is appropriately nervous. Especially since his gym has basically cancelled their boys program and he is only training 6 hours a week. I told him that he needed to have no expectations and just go in and enjoy the experience. I also suggested that he stay focused on the events he felt good at for any chance to score well.

All of my training the last couple of days has gone very well. I am going to hit it hard on Sunday and Monday in preparation for my surgery on Tuesday.

I am trying to decide how I am going to approach my eating while recovering. I picked up some additional belly fat this holiday season. I guess that is what happens when you start your day with cookies, who knew... I think I might eat really clean while recovering and see if I can trim up some of this fat and make a run at light heavy for my next comp.

I am open for any thoughts on eating while recovering from surgery.

Arien Malec
01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
What will you be able to do lower body post surgery? Just one shoulder or both?

Lots of protein, IMHO. Supplement with BCAA and fish oil. I'd try IF for decreased inflammation, but dunno.

Eduardo Chile
01-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Eat some nutrient dense food. Lots of water, and some fish oil.

Hope everything goes well with the surgery.

Derek Simonds
01-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback and I think I am going to give IF a go for the balance of the week after surgery. If all goes as planned I should be able to start doing rehab stuff for my shoulder within 7 days. I can do lower as long as it doesn't aggravate my shoulder. So I was thinking lots and lots of walking. Maybe weighted just depending on how I am feeling.

Today was my last workout for a while so Tracy joined me and we went at it.

DB Incline 50 X5, 65 X 3, 70 X 3
DL up to 295 X 1, 315 X 1
P/U's 2 X 4

FS up to 155 X 3 X 3
Explosive Push Ups to Box X 5 X 8

W, N, R BB Curlz non stop 15,12,12 + 20 BB Crush
BOSU Push Ups X 20

It was great working out with Tracy. She is a natural dead lifter. I hope she gets bit by the DL bug cause she could be really good at it.

We did a lot of other band work and prehab movements throughout the workout. I really enjoyed her companionship and she kept the pace high enough that I worked up a good sweat by the time the workout was over.

Derek Simonds
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
10 January 2012 Tuesday

Surgery is done and it came out as good as can be expected. I had a wicked bad anesthesia hangover. Really sucked but I am thru it now. Typing one handed stinks so I will update more later.

My next two weeks workout will consist of recovery for time.

Derek Simonds
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
11 Jan 2012 Wednesday

Well today sucked. I am still bleeding and my shoulder is swollen tight with all the fluid they pumped into it. Really quite crappy feeling actually. I am icing as much as possible and trying to remain calm. Sleep was fairly challenging last night also. Hoping for a much better time tonight.

I have been doing my mobility stuff which is basically just letting your arm swing from your shoulder.

Trying really hard to be a good patient...

Arien Malec
01-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Ugggh. Rest and heal.

Eduardo Chile
01-12-2012, 05:00 AM
I hope your shoulder feels great and you can get back to what you love to do.

Derek Simonds
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks Arien and Chile. I know "This to shall pass..."

Another tough night of sleeping but all in all better mobility today. Same amount of pain though. I came into work for a couple of hours and am finishing now and heading home. I am beat.

Hoping for a good nights sleep tonight. I apparently woke my lovely bride multiple times last night.

Derek Simonds
01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Hopefully this is the last day of not so nice stuff. Range of motion is increasing steadily and I am still sore but not quite as bad. Hurts when I move but again not as bad.

Eduardo Chile
01-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Hope your recovery is going well.

Derek Weaver
01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Hopefully this is the last day of not so nice stuff. Range of motion is increasing steadily and I am still sore but not quite as bad. Hurts when I move but again not as bad.

Crap, I'd forgotten to drop you a comment about your shoulder surgery. Hope you're doing well.

Those first 10 days suck, but what sucks even more is when you start to feel somewhat normal, and then do something fast and that hurts like crazy.

Go slow, get better.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Crap, I'd forgotten to drop you a comment about your shoulder surgery. Hope you're doing well.

Those first 10 days suck, but what sucks even more is when you start to feel somewhat normal, and then do something fast and that hurts like crazy.

Go slow, get better.

Man I wish you had written that about 4 days ago... I put on a thermal shirt to head to somewhere up north and didn't even think about trying to shove my arm into the sleeve. I went down to my knees with the pain.

Really rough couple of days. Several factors. Lots of travel, lots of stress and fighting a cold. Mostly just kind of depressed so I haven't wrote much about it. It is amazing to me how the feel of my body is related to my overall attitude. I know I will heal but it has been tough. Since I was in front of so many customers this week I have avoided any pain meds other then ibuprofen. My jaw was starting to bother me and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out I am clinching my teeth. Hmm.

I did rehab /prehab movements 4 days out of 5 this week. I even went to BJJ yesterday (more below). Friday was my recheck. The doctor gave me some bad news. All the hard miles on my shoulder have resulted in me wearing a ragged hole in the cartilage at the top of my shoulder joint. I also had two sub surface tears in the rotator cuff that he didn't fix. He showed me where he made the changes to my shoulder joint and ultimately what that means. As of now there is no way to repair the damage to the cartilage and his recommendation was to slow down. Those of you who know me is that I am not going to do that. My plan is to really stay focused on my shoulder and make it as bullet proof as possible.

21 Jan 2012 Saturday

D W/U
Band work all angles

BJJ United Class: We had an entire academy from Savannah GA come down and train with us. I worked with one of the guys that works there during the drills. I wasn't going to grapple but as I sat and watched I decided I wanted to roll. I grappled with my buddy brown belt Rich and he went easy on me. It was great and I felt alive for the first time in 10 days!!!

Derek Simonds
01-22-2012, 07:50 AM
22 January 2012 Sunday

D W/U
Stretching

Walk / Run 2 min off 5 run X 3 total time of 24 minutes. It was great to be moving. It also was great because my wife ran with me. Yeah us.

Derek Weaver
01-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Sucks about the shoulder.

Maybe not slow down so much as change direction?

I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. Trying to figure it out myself. I'll let you know if that happens.

Pain meds are a slipperly slope too. did you feel like the pain was starting to be more of a distraction than the meds would have been?

This is all taking me back.... Not in a good way.

Eduardo Chile
01-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Good seeing you Saturday and hope your recovery continues to go well.

Derek Simonds
01-24-2012, 04:48 AM
I picked up a wicked cold. Yuck. Good thing I only had 4 fights and 2 different rental cars yesterday. :)

Arien Malec
01-24-2012, 10:46 AM
4 flights, I hope.

Grr. When it rains, it pours...

Derek Weaver
01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Haha, yeah. If you're fighting 4 times in one day and calling it a plus side to things... your life is more interesting than mine.

Hope the shoulder's holding up through all of this.

Derek Simonds
01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
4 flights, I hope.

Grr. When it rains, it pours...

Umm yeah that would be FLIGHTS....

26 Jan 2012 Thursday

25 minutes recumbant bike
Band work every direction X 20 minutes

27 Jan 2012 Friday

All this two times through
Scarecrow + External Rotation 5 Lb's X 10
Wrist Curlz 15 LB's X 20
Wrist Flexion 5 Lb's X 20
DB Crush 15 LB's X 20
Knees on ground push ups X 10
Plus to Cat Stretch kneeling X 20
Y+T X 3 Lb's X 10 each

2 Times through this
DB Curlz X 15 LB's X 20
DB Extension X 15 LB's X 20

My mobility is coming back fully but I am definitely not right yet. Still quite painful no matter where I move. Hoping that this is fading away...

I am really interested to see how I feel tomorrow. I am going to try and do some squats and DL's tomorrow just to get the movements going again.

This has been a larger struggle to come back from then I had planned. I think part of it is that I am busier this month then I have been in over a year. That combined with the physical problems is probably what is going on.

Derek Simonds
01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I haven't posted as much as usual because I hate writing negative stuff. I like to believe I have a positive attitude through all things and this has been challenging. Not sure why. I have been in a plane a ton so I have been doing some self reflection. They say 3 am is the hour that tries men's souls, so is any hour spent in thought while hurtling through the air in a silver tube. I know that I am healing and I know that I will be back to as good as I am going to get soon. I guess I am struggling with what I am going to be fitness wise. Here are the things I know.

1) I love BJJ and have no plans stopping.
2) Heavy pressing of any sort might be leaving my repertoire.
3) Running, biking, swimming and body weight movements are probably going to become more of a routine.
4) Heavy squatting and DL'ing is not going away.
5) Shoulder Pre-hab is going to be utilized daily to 4 times a week.

All that said I am looking forward to February and some goal setting. Chile I will be talking with you soon to discuss some programming.

28 January 2012 Saturday

Bike ride with my workout partner and his wife. 59:50 14.5 miles and an average speed of 14.5. My HR monitor didnt work until somewhere in the middle of the ride. I think the final average was around 134 BPM. Higher then I had hoped for but not way out.

That was a supremely enjoyable ride and I look forward to another next weekend.

Andy and Kelly are training for a triathlon and they keep asking me to do it. I will see how I feel in a month and go from there.

Arien Malec
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Shoulders are a lifelong journey. When I did my whatever to my shoulder last year, it took 9 months to get to "normal", despite the minor injury.

For us old guys, slow and steady wins the race.

Derek Simonds
01-30-2012, 05:41 AM
30 January 2012 Monday

Arien slow and steady it shall be.

D W/U

FS up to 95 X 3 X 4
DL 135 X 5 X 2, 185 X 5 X 3

Hey guess what? My shoulder started hurting and is still hurting now 2 hours later. Not any sharp pain just a dull ache. Hmm Everything seemed good while lifting just kind of developed.

Tomorrow marks 3 weeks post-op. It also marks the beginning of an east coast 4 day trip. As of now my schedule in February is looking significantly less travel oriented which will be welcome.

Arien Malec
01-30-2012, 11:11 AM
I hope that's a sign of healing.

Derek Weaver
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Where again was the primary injury in your shoulder?

Derek Simonds
02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
01 Feb 2011 Wednesday

D W/U

31 minutes on the treadmill 3 intervals of 5 minutes at 6 mph

Db incline bench x 15
Db curlz x 15
Db shrugz x 15

Ran the rack from 10 to 25 for those exercises. Shoulder hurt but wasn't ridiculous. I was conservative on the weights and will adjust accordingly.

Gonna get two workouts in tomorrow and 1 on Friday while I am out of town.

Derek Simonds
02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
So I had to make a separate post for this. My wife calls me and tells me that a guy at the gym where she does personal training came up and asked her what she was training for. When she told him a figure competition the guy told her that was what he did professionally and he would train her if "Only if she took winistrol".

I am seriously flabbergasted. She told him dude I don't even take protein supplements. Not just no but hell no. she has never met the guy before, doesn't know him from Adam and he is offering to coach her but only if she uses illegal steroids. What a complete and total douchebag.

Part of my maturation process as an adult and husband is not trying to handle everything for my wife. It took every ounce of internal fortitude not to jump in with both feet. So I asked her what happened then and she went to the owner and told him that the dude was trying to get her to use steroids. I am proud of her. I still want to choke the ever loving dog shit out of this guy but Tracy handled it perfectly.

Apparently this guy was listing off name after name of big time people he supposedly trains that use and nothing bad comes of them. Tracy told him again no and this is a natural event. He replied that they were easy to beat and everybody was doing it. I told her to train her way, stay away from pusher boy and we would revel when she beat the other women that were using naturally.

I sometimes feel like I am living on another planet. not a good one either...

Derek Simonds
02-02-2012, 03:26 AM
2 Feb 2011 Thursday AM

D W/U

30 minutes of band work

Low pulls
High pulls
Pull a parts
External rotation from side
Internal rotation from side
External rotation from shoulder

Push up plus from knees
Forehead to ceiling crunch
Supermans
Leg lifts

Push ups from knees

Good hotel workout. Nothing major but certainly got my shoulder workout on.

Dave Coughlin
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Long time, Derek. I didn't get to catch up at this past Iron Curtain, IIRC I couldn't get that day off. Plus, the more CF events move toward handstand walks etc, the further away it gets from my wheelhouse...

I just caught up with the last few weeks of your log, don't know how I missed your surgery on FB. I messed up my left shoulder during a week where I did about 75 ring dips (I got no-repped a bunch during a CF competition), and then did some SDHPs at 135# later on. Right now, the only real pain is when I'm benching, but I still like to move slowly in this department.....

Cool news about your wife training for a figure competition. Like you, I'll be filling out my goal/competition calendar in the next few days. I've been following JRs prowess thanks to your FB updates, and might be getting my 4 y/o daughter into a gymnastics program soon. She's a long, skinny one; I was the same frame when I dipped my foot into gymnastics back in the BETAMAX days.

Take care, and I hope you've been reading some great books during your extensive traveling....

Arien Malec
02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Gotta say, wow. Pretty amazing. I think the planet you are living on is a better one that the trainer is living on.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Dave good hearing from you. I highly reccomend gymnastics for all kids. My daughter got moved up to team this year and will be competing in the fall. The shoulder is improving on a daily basis. I hope to see you soon.

Arien I am still wondering what is up with that dude.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2012, 12:38 PM
3 February 2012 Friday

Tons of db work

Press
Curlz

I,Y,T

Abz

Floor press
Db Rowz

4 February 2012 Saturday

DL up to 135 x 5 185 x 5 x 4
FS up to 95 x 4 135 x 3

18.9 miles 1:18 avg 14.3 mph and 143 HR

This was miserable. My food intake on Friday was abysmal and I bonked at around 15 miles. I darn near dropped off and called for a ride. Ridiculous. Worst experience I have ever had on a training ride.

Oh yeah we had a brutal 15 mph wind to ride home against also.

Got home and got some food and started feeling half way human and decided to skip bjj. No way I wanted to train any more on top of where I was.

5 February 2012

Press 45 x 10 x 4
Db curlz 20 x 15 x 4

Floor press 20 x 15 30 x 15 x 4
BB Rowz 45 x 20 x 4

Scarecrow + external rotation
Front raises
Side raises
Rear raises

10 with 2 lbs 10 with 3 lbs

So this is the start of Project Derek 2.0. Keys things will be

1) mobility and rehab
2) DL'ing and squatting
3) movement, whether it is triathlon training or something else but more movement
4) BJJ

That is my focus. I will play with as I go. I am going big plates only on FS and DL for the next couple of months. I will own the weight before I move up!

Derek Simonds
02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
6 February 2012 Monday

D W/U
Double Lacrosse Ball work

Band work for 20 minutes
Scarecrow + ER
Front, side and rear shoulder raises

Planned on BJJ tonight but being out of it when I left the house this morning I didn't bring a gi. Hmmm that was dumb. So I am going to go home and run.

Derek Weaver
02-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Cool on the tri stuff. I've toyed with the idea of getting a bike and training for a sprint, but I don't know that I've got the stones.

What kind of bike do you ride?

Derek Simonds
02-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Cool on the tri stuff. I've toyed with the idea of getting a bike and training for a sprint, but I don't know that I've got the stones.

What kind of bike do you ride?

Sprints really aren't that hard. Don't get me wrong you can crush yourself if you go ballistic. I was never competitive in sprint distances so to me it was always good enough to beat my last time. Sprints are won in the 5K. The good competitors always run in the low 20-21 range. That is significantly faster then my best times ever let alone after the swim and bike. I am a lot stronger now then when I was competing before so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I ride an older Cannondale R600. I have souped it up with some tri specific gear so it is a good inexpensive way to train.

Derek Simonds
02-08-2012, 06:38 AM
7 February 2012 Tuesday

D W/U

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 4, 225 X 5
FS 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 3, 135 X 3 X 2

Chest Supported I,Y,T X 10 w/2lb's, X 10 w/3lb's

Standing BB Flexion X 20 X 4
Seated DB Extension 8 Lb's X 20 X 4
BB Crush X 20 55 LB X 20 X 3

8 February 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

Flat Bench 45 X 10 X 4
Ring Rows X 10 X 4

Press 45 X 10, 55 X 10 X 3
1 P/U + 1 C/U X 4

Plate Pinch 2 10's X 10 seconds each hand X 4
Plate Curlz 10 Lb's X 10 X 3
Seated Plate Wrist Curlz X 10 X 3

Front, Side and Rear Shoulder Raises X 5 LB's X 10, X 8 LB's X 10
Push Ups from knees X 10 X 2

Plate Halos 10 LB Oly Plate X 30 X 2
Truck Drivers 10 LB Oly Plate X 20 X 2

Couple of good days of training. In an interesting note I have put on some mass in my upper back in the last few weeks as I can feel it in my bench setup. Close grip on bench was painful but about an inch wider on each side then normal felt great. I still resisted the urge to add weight.

My legs actually are responding fantastically. I feel great and am energized. Well up to about 9 PM and then I can't keep my eyes open anymore...

BJJ tonight!!!

Derek Simonds
02-09-2012, 10:57 AM
8 February 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Nice to be back on the mat. Takedowns, Rear Choke Defense and taking the back.

9 February 2012 Thursday

D W/U

Push Up Plus from Knees in plank position
20 Minutes of band work: low pulls, high pulls, er from shoulders, er from waist, ir from waist.

I am so jammed up at work I know I am forgetting stuff. Laney got up and did 4 sets of pull ups and we hung out. It was a good morning all around.

Derek Simonds
02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
10 February 2012 Friday

D W/U

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 2, 225 x 5 x 2
Press 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 65 X 5 X 4

BB Curlz X 12 X 2
Tricep Extension 15 LB DB X 15 X 2

Done and off to the races.

Derek Simonds
02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
10 February 2012 PM

BJJ Competition Class: Good class with lots of open mat time. I grappled 5 rounds of at least 5 minutes each and had some good success. I got grapple with Raphael and we had a really quality go. I tapped to a left side shoulder lock before he could apply it and after the restart I was able to get the sweep and then attack hard from the top position. I also grappled two rounds with another purple belt and had a good go there as well. I did get kicked in the nads rather hard and have decided it is in my best interest to wear a cup from now on.

11 February 2012

D W/U

FS up to 95 X 3 X 2, 135 X 3 x 3

Bench Up to 65 X 10 X 4
BB Rowz X 15 X 4, 65 X 15

DB Curlz 20 LB's X 20 X 2
Floor Press 30 LB's X 20 X 2
External Rotation From Knee 2 LB's X 12, 3 LB's X 20

Front Raise 5LB's X 10 X 3
Side Raise 5LB's X 10 X 3
Rear Raise 10 LB's X 10 X 3

BB Crush 55 X 30 X 2, X 40
Standing BB Flexion 50 X 20 X 3
DB Extension X 8 LB X 20 X 3

BB Drag Curlz X 12

Arien Malec
02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
They do seem to be painted with a bullseye.

Nice work on the shoulder rehab.

Derek Simonds
02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
13 February 2012 PM

BJJ: Grappled for 30 minutes before class with Rich. Had probably 4 decent rounds. Class was fun. Great warmup and I really enjoyed the stretching. Worked a couple of sweeps armbar and lay down butterfly.

14 February 2012 AM

What a bizarre night. There were some really non happy vibes at my house last evening and I was trying to make sure everyone was cool. Be cool honey bunny be cool. Got the kids in bed and laid down myself around 10'ish. 11:00 Jr was up puking. By the time Tracy had him calmed down and I had scrubbed the carpets in his room and the hall it was 11:40. Back in bed and up again at 12:00 with Jr puking again. No fever something just didn't agree with his stomach. Tracy did a great job with him again and back to bed we go.

When the alarm went off at 5:00 I was slightly startled...

D W/U

Press 45 X 5, 55 X 10 X 5
P/U 1 X 5

Band work 20 Minutes low pulls, er, ir and pull aparts

10 LB Plate Raise + Truck Driver X 10 X 3
10 LB Plate Halos X 10 X 3
10 LB DB Rear Flyes really focusing on scapula movement

I had planned on DL'ing as well but it just wasn't happening. Tracy gave me a massage this morning for my Valentines Day present and it was wonderful. She truly is the best masseuse I have ever been touched by. Yeah me.

By the way I wouldn't trade what happened for anything. I was home and I was able to help. That means the world to me.

Arien Malec
02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Yuck. I've been there -- as you say, not the most fun but part of the overall joy of being a parent: being there for your kids and your wife.

Derek Weaver
02-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I'll have to trust the two of you. I'm good with my reckless bachelor lifestyle at the moment.

Judging by the workouts, it looks like your shoulder's coming along nicely.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Yuck. I've been there -- as you say, not the most fun but part of the overall joy of being a parent: being there for your kids and your wife.

Overall joy is the perfect way to describe what I am feeling right now. I love my family and strive every day to be a better father, husband and leader for my little group.

Yesterday Jr gave his girlfriend flowers for Valentines Day. He was very happy as there were lots of balloons but nobody else really did flowers. He had asked my opinion on it and I told him you can never go wrong with flowers. Yeah us.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I'll have to trust the two of you. I'm good with my reckless bachelor lifestyle at the moment.

Judging by the workouts, it looks like your shoulder's coming along nicely.

The "RBL" can be quite rewarding also as I am remember... My shoulder is coming along. I know where the pain is and am slowly working the ROM towards improving the pain. Main source of pain I have right now is when there is pressure on my shoulder (sleeping or turtle position in grappling) and my torso is pressed forward while my arm is pressed backwards. Like the top of a pushup but with weight on your back. I still have limited external rotation either at my hip or at shoulder level. That is my main focus to increase that ROM.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
15 February 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3 X 4
Bench 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 85 X 10 X 5

20 SMGBB (standing monkey grip bar bell) Flexion + 20 BB Crush at 50 LB's
8 LB's DB Extension X 20 X 3

My back is super sore today so I skipped any direct back work. When I say super sore I mean way out there sore.

Derek Simonds
02-16-2012, 02:54 AM
16 February 2012 Thursday

D W/U

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5 X 3

Done. I had to get up extra early to get this done. I am on my way to Detroit for the single largest dollar presentation I have ever done. Ground work is set. Team is going with me and I am ready. I won't have any idea if we are getting this deal for a while but this is for real.

Kind of excited.

Arien Malec
02-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Nice. Good to be in play with a growing business.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Nice. Good to be in play with a growing business.

All I ever ask for is a chance. Presentation went great but we are a long way from funding.

17 February 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: 20 minutes of warmup 40 minutes of grappling. Man I have been a serious arm hunter lately. Everything is coming off arm locks or bars. I need to work some chokes.

Derek Simonds
02-20-2012, 08:11 AM
18 February 2012 Saturday

D W/U

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3 X 4, 185 X 2
Press up to 65 X 10 X 5
Chin Up 2 X 5

DB Curlz 20 X 20, 30 X 15
Tricep Extension 15 X 20 X 2

A whole ton of shoulder stuff. I have forgotten most of what I did.

Main thing for me was the FS. This is my BPOB! program (big plates only beeyatches!) and it is working nicely. I had the 3rd rep on the last set but only did 2 as my form was off a little. I told myself perfect form every rep and big plates only. Pretty pleased with the progression.

I helped a friend that is running for state attorney Saturday morning. I walked in the Deland Dog Parade with my brother in laws vet practice and then we headed up to the lake for 2 absolutely wonderful nights.

Jr had Odyssey of the Mind practice yesterday evening so he came home with Tracy. Apparently I need to mark my calendar as yesterday was his first real date. He sent me a text and asked if it would be ok if he held his girlfriends hand.

Seriously I am not sure that I am ready for this. :D After the movie he texted me and told me that at first he was really nervous but then it was cool. Time is just a marching...

Derek Simonds
02-21-2012, 06:18 AM
21 February 2012

D W/U

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5 X 3
Press up to 75 X 10 X 5

Ring training is commencing now...
Ring supports X 5 seconds X 5
Kind of a weak start to my ring work :D but this is Derek Project 2.0 start at zero and build from there!

Front, Side and Rear shoulder raises with 3 LB DB X 12 X 2

DL's felt smooth. I am getting really good contact with my shins on the way up and everything feels like it is in the right place. Saturday adding some 25's.

Ok update on my wife. She had her body fat tested last week. I can't remember if I wrote about it or not. She is at 12.4% and weighing right around 126. She wants to hit the competition at low 8% range and there is no doubt in my mind that she can do it (8 weeks out right now). If she keeps pace with her diet and her workout she should put on another pound or two of muscle and drop 6 lb's of body fat. That would put her at the competition at low 120's and she should be good to go. She is going to to compete in the novice division and I think she has a good chance to podium.

Arien Malec
02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Impressive progress by both of you!

Derek Simonds
02-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Impressive progress by both of you!

Thanks Arien. Mine is slow and steady hers is way impressive. I found out last night that I had it wrong. She is 12 weeks out. The competition is in May.

21 February 2012 PM

Jog / Run all barefoot style and my shins actually feel good today. I think they are finally adapting to this style of running. They never hurt like shin splints is was more a tremendous case of DOMS in the muscles on the front of my leg after every run.

4 X 5 minute intervals with 2 minutes walking in between. Total of 30 minutes of movement. I used my HR monitor but forgot to turn it off and realized an hour later as I was cooking dinner I was still wearing it. That was pretty funny.

22 February 2012 AM

D W/U

Band Work X 20 minutes all directions
External Rotation on knee 2 LB's X 20, 3 LB's X 20 X 2
I,Y,T chest supported on med ball 2 LB's X 8 X 3

BB Crush 55 X 20 X 3
BB Monkey Grip Flexion X 55 X 20 X 3
DB Extension 10 X 20 X 3
Drag Curlz 55 X 10

Nothing major just a nice shoulder prehab routine. Done in right at 30 minutes.

Derek Simonds
02-23-2012, 06:11 AM
23 February 2012 Thursday

D W/U

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3 X 2, 185 X 3,2,1

Ab Wheel 6 X 5
8 Way Lunge X 5

DB Pinch Curlz X 25 X 12 X 2

DB Pinch contest with the kids.

Laney really surprised me an easy lift on a 10 LB'er

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nsx3f7.jpg

Jr and me setting new PR's. That is a 40 LB DB for me and 15 LB's for Jr.

http://i40.tinypic.com/jrwhac.jpg

I don't even know what the total lifts were (it was a ton) but my forearms got a good workout.

I am really working on perfect form on the FS. Next step to 225 is going to be a jump.

Derek Simonds
02-24-2012, 05:48 AM
24 February 2012

D W/U

Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 10 X 5
Chin Up 3 X 6

BB Curlz 45 X 12, 55 X 10, 65 X 10
Green Band Tricep Pull Downs X 30 X 3

Front, Side and Rear Shoulder Raises X 5 X 10
Tricep Extension 10 X 20, 15 X 15

I meant to do some abz but got to talking with Delaney. I love being home in the mornings with my family. I am a morning person and so is my daughter. That leads to lots of good times when I am there.

Both bench and chins were ridiculously easy. The bench is supposed to be but I was surprised at the chins.

I am doing a Lenten challenge and working out every day. My wife pointed out that wasn't really a sacrifice on my part as I enjoy it so much. She does have a point and I probably should have gave up something like caffeine but I didn't.

I went to the chiropractor yesterday at the request of my wife and was pleasantly surprised with the lack of quackery. He took full upper body xrays before he adjusted me and it turns out that I have a rib slightly out of place. That is the pain that I thought was a pulled muscle in my back. Good news, from my T spine down I am golden, hips, legs everything. I have a slight posterior pelvic tilt but nothing excessive. My T spine is a mess though. There is the curvature I wrote about before and the xrays show that I don't really have any kyphosis. None my spine comes up out a great lordotic arch and pretty much goes straight to my neck. Interesting I tell you, interesting. I know how to get rid of excessive kyphosis but not put some back. I will be doing some google-fu later today on that topic.

Arien Malec
02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Yah, not so sure daily workouts are a sacrifice :)

Derek Simonds
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
24 February 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Grappled non stop for 40 minutes. First 4 rounds I grappled holding a tennis ball in my left hand. I landed some sweeps and submissions while holding the ball. It really changes how you attack that is for sure. Before class I spoke with Marcio about the loss of our human capital at the downtown location. I have been one of the senior guys for a while in both age and rank but lately I have been the most experienced guy on the mat. That sucks. I want to be pushed. So I think he asked Simpson to grapple with me.

We went pretty hard for about 15 minutes. I pulled off a lot of moves and we took a short break and then I came back and told him to stop going easy on me. He said he wasnt but I got really serious and told him no more easy. Well we went hard for the next 7 minutes. Crazy hard. I was smoked afterwards.

25 February 2012 Saturday

D W/U

DL up to 225 and stop. My rib did not like that at all.

So that really sucked. I switched to some upper body stuff. Don't remember what I did now. How about that.

26 February 2012 Sunday

D W/U
Press up to 75 X 10 X 5
Ring Rows 12 X 6

DB Press 15 X 15, 20 X 15, 25 X 12
DB Rows 30 X 12 X 3

Lots of shoulder rehab

27 February 2012 Monday

FS up to 185 X 1 X 5
8 Way Lunge 16 KG KB X 5

I have forgotten most of the stuff I did over the weekend. There was a huge amount of craziness and I will outline that below...

Derek Simonds
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Man what a crazy weekend. Knowing that Jr was going to be really stressed on Saturday I wanted him to get some good sleep so I got him in bed about 9:30. At 9:45 he yells "FIRE, not in our house" I jump up and sure enough the house across the street is on fire. I throw on some clothes and run to see if I can help. The FD showed up about the same time. Luckily they were able to get out safely with their key papers and animals. Apparently it was an electrical fire in the attic and their smoke alarm never went off!!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/6poitz.jpg

So a couple of thoughts on this

1) have a plan.
2) install smoke and or heat detectors in the attic (they can be daisy chained together or installed with a remote alarm.
3) review the plan frequently with the family.
4) know where your important papers are and have a backup set of them.

So I get Jr back in bed much later. The fire actually bothered him. I let him know that we were safe but I am now aware of the attic thing and it is something I will have fixed by this weekend. The next morning Jr gets up and yells "dad the house is on fire again"/ Sure enough the wind was stoking the fire and smoke was pouring out of the house. We got the FD back and they put it out again.

Saturday was Odyssey of the Mind for Jr and his team. It was a huge deal for him and he has been working on this all year long. Their team is all 6th graders and they were going up against some stiff competition at the middle school level. They absolutely crushed their long term problem and I will link to the video. It is 8 minutes long and probably not that interesting to anyone unless they understand the competition. The cool thing about this whole deal is that you cannot as an adult have any input on what they do. This entire 8 minute skit was created, designed and performed by them. No input from any of us. In fact if the judges suspect that adults were involved in any element they can DQ the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkdijkHX0LE

In the spontaneous competition Jr was the team lead and they did good enough in it to win 3rd place overall and are going to State competition April 14th. It was a hands on problem and they had 8 ping pongs and 8 raquet balls that they had to position on a table along with some different supplies and keep them from blowing off when the judges turned on a fan. The team only had 2 balls blow off. They were really excited about how they did.

Here is Jr celebrating with his medal.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2m26nlu.jpg

I am thinking I need to really start thinking about my behavior as I know exactly where this came from. We get home late on Saturday after being at Odyssey all day. We got to the HS at 9:00 am and home at 9:30 pm. Long long day after a short night and I was really looking forward to some sleep. Didn't really happen. i tried to sleep in but was awake at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. So I got up worked out and then Laney and I went to church so I could work as a greeter. It was a nice morning with her. We came home got some lunch with the family and I headed over to Daytona.

I was in a great spot to enjoy the Daytona 500 except Mother Nature wouldn't cooperate. I stayed up until they cancelled the race. I was able to get out fairly easily and I took back roads home to avoid the crazy traffic. This is what my view looked like of the track most of the day.

http://i39.tinypic.com/sxyvbq.jpg

Crazy busy weekend. I am actually glad that I am on the road so I can get some sleep!!!!

Derek Simonds
02-28-2012, 05:29 AM
28 February 2012 Tuesday

D W/U

Low Band Pulls 30 X 3
ER and IR each arm X 15 X 3

Goblet Squats 25,30,35,40,45,50 X 10 each
DB Incline Bench 25,30,35,X 15, 40,45 X 12, 50 X 8
DB Rowz 25,30,35 X 15

Front, Side and Rear Shoulder Raises 5 LB DB X 12 X 3

DB Curlz 20 X 15,20
Tricep D Ring Press Down 35 X 15, 40 X 20

ER on Knee 5 LB X 10 X 2 each arm

I have been getting up at 5:00 AM at home lately and woke up at 4:00 here and was wide awake. I laid around for a while and then got up and caught up on my email before working out.

Man there has been so many people hacking and coughing around me this week already. I am washing my hands and being as careful as possible.

Arien Malec
02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I wanted to comment on your post above, but just too overwhelming. I'll stick to 'grats on Odyssey of the Mind place.

Allen Yeh
03-01-2012, 03:49 AM
How have you been?

Derek Simonds
03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
How have you been?

I am good brother lots of craziness and learning about my body but good. I am really glad that you are back stateside. I have a nutso remainder of the week but wanted to give you a call and catch up. I will catch you next week.

Derek Simonds
03-01-2012, 07:31 AM
I wanted to comment on your post above, but just too overwhelming. I'll stick to 'grats on Odyssey of the Mind place.

Thanks. Jr is still beaming. They have already started revamping the parts of the performance they felt could be improved.

Sometimes I wonder if I write too much but since I don't have a blog you guys get all my random thoughts...

Derek Simonds
03-01-2012, 07:34 AM
29 February 2012 Wednesday "Happy Leap Day"

1 Hour of hotel room exercise consisting of band work in every direction, ABZ, lunges and jumps.

I had a chiro appointment this morning and after the adjustment I feel much better already. The doc was worried I wasn't going to come back after last weeks adjustment. That e-stim therapy is interesting...

Derek Weaver
03-01-2012, 05:55 PM
29 February 2012 Wednesday "Happy Leap Day"

1 Hour of hotel room exercise consisting of band work in every direction, ABZ, lunges and jumps.

I had a chiro appointment this morning and after the adjustment I feel much better already. The doc was worried I wasn't going to come back after last weeks adjustment. That e-stim therapy is interesting...

E-stim's addicting. How many adjustments does the chiro think to get the rib right? Did he show you any self adjustments or exercises to deal with the lack of kyphosis in the upper back?

Arien Malec
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Hotel room exercises can be highly liberating. I loved doing bw bulgarian split squats. Jumps, a bit iffy for the folks down one floor :)

Derek Simonds
03-02-2012, 07:40 AM
E-stim's addicting. How many adjustments does the chiro think to get the rib right? Did he show you any self adjustments or exercises to deal with the lack of kyphosis in the upper back?

Ice and e-stim feels good. We are going to work on some next visit. He felt like things were pretty darn good right now but I am going back on Monday for one more visit.

Derek Simonds
03-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Hotel room exercises can be highly liberating. I loved doing bw bulgarian split squats. Jumps, a bit iffy for the folks down one floor :)

I will add BGSS to my retinue. I can wear my backpack for added weight as needed! I was doing lateral hops, front and back high knees all kinds of stuff and never once thought about the people below me. Good point!

Derek Simonds
03-02-2012, 07:46 AM
1 March 2012 PM

BJJ Open Mat: I worked with a couple of people on their belt test requirements.

BJJ Fundamentals: I did the warm up then worked with a couple of guys on the self defense moves. Did some live drilling from mount for about 10 minutes and called it a night.

2 March 2012 AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 80 X 10 X 5
P/U 1 X 6

Ring Holds 10 Sec X 3
DB Floor Press 35 X 15 X 3
Chin Up 2 X 4
DB Curlz 30 X 10 X 3

I, Y, T X 2LB DB X 15 X 2

Got to hang out with my daughter for a while this morning she got up and was dressed earlier then usual. Good times. Press just keeps on going. My rib was sensitive after yesterdays adjustment so I decided to give it one more day before I did FS or DL.

Derek Simonds
03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
2 March 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Open Mat and Competition Class: It was a good night. We had several other purple belts in attendance and even had one bigger then me. A lot bigger then me. My gas was good, no pain and I was very aggressive. All that counts for a successful evening.

3 March 2012 Saturday

D W/U

Ran for 16:45 non stop with my wife. First time running that far in this ramp up. At 16:45 I started walking because I could feel a general unpleasant tightness in the IT bands and my right ankle. Good pacing. Good foot strikes and no DOMS. This running thing is coming together.

FS 45 X 5 X 2, 95 X 5 X 2, 135 X 5 X 3

4 March 2012 Sunday

Hypothermia for time (I will explain below) Hard to believe but yes you can get that in Florida...

5 March 2012 Monday

D W/U

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5 X 2, 185 X 5 X 3

Front, Rear and Side Raises with 3 LB DB's X 12 X 3

Derek Simonds
03-05-2012, 08:16 AM
So I have been saving my shekels specifically for a boat. It has been a long time but I finally found one that I could buy without going into debt and fit all of my criteria. That turned out to be really challenging. I really feel like I stole this boat and a good deal is truly a state of mind so it is a good deal!

Here is the latest addition to the family.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vj37km.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/5wml4z.jpg

Saturday was great. We camped in the Mosquito Lagoon on an island with all my friends who are fathers for our annual event. The weather was beautiful. Unfortunately none us have a career as a weather forecaster. We all thought (maybe hoped is a better term) that the severe weather and cold front that was projected to come through Saturday night would go north of us. It didn't. We got no sleep Saturday night and the tent we were in leaked like crazy. Jr and me were under our sleeping bags with our pillows over our heads. It was kind of funny.

The kids were awesome. When we got up at 6:45 and saw that we were between bands we decided to break camp and haul butt. Our little boat did everything you could ask of it. We got soaked getting around the island but once we got the bow pointed into the wind and heading back to the ramp she ran great.

It was a windy (gusting to 30 MPH), wet and cold for us 54 degrees. We were all shivering like mad by the time we got the boat loaded. I really am proud of how well the kids handled the crazy weather and they never complained once. They both even stood in the rain to help load the boat.

We got home and all 3 of us climbed into one bed and went back to sleep. Later in the day after we got everything cleaned up we took Tracy out for a spin. Laney was much better prepared with her windbreaker and was ready to roll. Laney told me she will be getting her boater safety certification as soon as she turns 10. Here she is helping me put the boat in at the ramp.

http://i44.tinypic.com/fut7k9.jpg

And Tracy bundled up like she was Nanook of the North.

http://i41.tinypic.com/118zipu.jpg

These are the kinds of memories I cherish. I think Arien said it best and I am paraphrasing "if the money spent creates memories then it was worthwhile". This was worthwhile.

Arien Malec
03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
That post composed of 100% awesomeness.

Derek Simonds
03-06-2012, 05:58 AM
05 March 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Open Mat: Grappled and really worked on a couple of different open guard techniques. Friday night we learned a technique off a kimura attempt where you react by grabbing your opponents belt with your arm that is underhooking his arm. Sounds complicated but it is so easy and I nailed it in live grappling. I think this is going to be a good technique for me.

BJJ Fundamentals: Lots of breakfalls and two kinds of side control escapes.

06 March 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 85 X 10 X 5
P/U 2 X 8

Skull Crusher + Prison Press 35 LBs 12, 12, 20
BB Curlz 45 X 12, 55 X 12 X 2

The press was quite hard on the first two sets the last three were hard but manageable. I was surprised at my RPE for them. I would have put the first two at a solid 8. Not happy with that.

Lots of stuff going on right now at work. Had a great night with the family and am looking forward to another one tonight.

Derek Simonds
03-13-2012, 06:13 AM
07 March 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

FS up to 185 X 1 X 5
8 Way Lunges X 5

Off to the airport.

I had a quick trip to our southern office location. It was good. I did a ton of work and a ton of fun stuff as well. The wind was brutal, blowing at 25+ knots W, H and F. But we managed to take the boat out for a little decompression.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ibn61t.jpg

While I was there I did body weight exercises along with band work every day. Nothing over the top but enough to keep me moving good.

I got home Saturday and had a great weekend with the family. Sunday the kids and I spent a couple of hours on the river fishing. It is so cool because I can pull up to the boat ramp and the kids get out and do everything to get the boat in the water. All I have to do is back it down the ramp and park the truck. Pretty darn nice.

Here is Jr hooked up to a big catfish that he lost right before it got to the boat.

http://i41.tinypic.com/11mgx0n.jpg

Here is Laney with a very nice fish from the blue gill family. Not sure exactly which type but it was nice.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zg6zbm.jpg

And finally here is Jr captaining the boat and Laney rigging her rod for the next fishing hole. If the boat was already in the water they wouldn't need me at all. I guess that means I am doing something right.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2eb6ej8.jpg

I am pretty darn proud of our kids right now.

Derek Simonds
03-13-2012, 06:31 AM
12 March 2012 Monday AM

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 5 X 4, 95 X 8
P/U 3 X 8

Strongergrip.com leverage block curlz + 2.5 LB's X 10 X 3

Ryan Pitts the owner of Stronger Grip sent me one of these. It is awesome. I love grip gear to begin with and have wanted one of these for a while.

http://i40.tinypic.com/vvzwz.jpg

Here is a link to the block. http://www.strongergrip.com/products/Leverage-Block-2X4.html It is really adjustable with the ability to use different weights and to slide the weight further out to increase the difficulty.

12 March 2012 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Great class with lots of fun drilling. Worked a different entrance to triangle that I had forgotten about. Set up scissor sweep and then block their arm on same side as your top leg and then attack the triangle.

BJJ Advanced: Did a great move I have never seen from DLR where you push like a traditional DLR sweep and then you roll to the side under your opponents leg and then on top of it for the sweep and pass. I really don't know how to describe it other then that. I was able to nail it consistently and liked it a lot. I am going to add it into my game.

Grappled two rounds. First with one of our really strong really good blue belts. I was able to get an armbar and an arm triangle off of simple mistakes he made. I was most happy though when I was able to sweep him from open guard. That was what I was working the entire time. The roll felt good. I grappled with one of our advanced brown belts and he worked me good. He made one mistake in the beginning I was able to capitalize on for a sub but then he just dominated me the next two rounds. He caught me in an armbar from an inverted half guard that I never thought he would be able to get. Not only did he get it but both of my arms were trapped so I had to yell tap to keep from getting my arm taken home :D .

Unfortunately one of our really good purple belts completely and totally destroyed his big toe. I have seen some gross shit in my life but this dudes toe was pointing completely out at 90 degree to his foot and you could tell the only thing holding it on was skin which was bleeding farily badly. Marcio called an ambulance right away and I am hoping he is going to be ok. Truthfully it freaked me out.

13 March 2012

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 135 X 3 X 5
Bench up to 135 X 5 X 4

Leverage Block with weight further out Curlz X 10 X 3

Derek Simonds
03-14-2012, 06:22 AM
14 March 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

DL 45 X 5,5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5,5, 205 X 5,5
Abz Wheel X 8 X 5
Push Ups From knees and toes X 8 X 5

Face Pulls X 20 X 2
Low ER and IR X 20 X 2 (best range of motion since surgery!!!)

Stronger Grip Mace Swings by a bunch.

The DL is coming along nicely again. I am trying to make sure that I find the right position so that I don't re-injure my rib. It definitely feels light and it should so that is a good thing.

Derek Simonds
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
14 March 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Open Mat: Grappled hard for 30 minutes

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked a bunch of scissor sweep stuff and played around with a couple of other purple belts during drilling. We really are learning some cool stuff right now.

Derek Simonds
03-15-2012, 06:29 AM
15 March 2012 Thursday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 6 X 4, 95 X 10
Chin Up 3 X 6

2LB DB Front, Side and Rear raises X 12 X 3

I should not have found humor in Arien's post about staying up late with his wife. Last night we were up way too late and I think I am still adjusting to the time change. 5:00 came way too early this morning.

My daughter is going to bed earlier each night so that she can get up earlier in the morning. This morning she wanted to get up at 5:45 so she could shower and do some reading for school. I didn't wake her up until 6:00. I know she is emulating us so I support her but I still want her to get as much sleep as possible. As long as she is in bed by 8:30 I will let her get up at 6:00 AM.

Arien Malec
03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Sleep == good. I just wish the school system supported late owls like my daughter, but if you get your daughter to be an early to bed early to rise type, so much the better for her future.

Derek Simonds
03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
15 March 2012 Friday

D W/U

FS up to 95 X 5, 135 X 3 X 4, 185 X 3
Pushups from knees 10 X 5, pushups X 10

A) man my squats felt good
B) that was the first set of regular pushups I have done since surgery
C) I had planned on ab wheeling but my back is irritated from the chins and pulls this week so no dice.

BTW where the hell did this week go???

Derek Weaver
03-17-2012, 12:19 AM
15 March 2012 Friday

D W/U

FS up to 95 X 5, 135 X 3 X 4, 185 X 3
Pushups from knees 10 X 5, pushups X 10

A) man my squats felt good
B) that was the first set of regular pushups I have done since surgery
C) I had planned on ab wheeling but my back is irritated from the chins and pulls this week so no dice.

BTW where the hell did this week go???

Great question. I lost track of what day it was earlier and missed three calls I had booked that day. Not good.

Nice that the shoulders up to doing some pushups.

Derek Simonds
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Sleep == good. I just wish the school system supported late owls like my daughter, but if you get your daughter to be an early to bed early to rise type, so much the better for her future.

In FL they have staggered start times. Elementary School starts at 7:50 and Middle School starts at 8:50. It works out great for us. My daughter still loves getting up early but my middle school son he likes to sleep later. Go figure.

Derek Simonds
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I feel like I have been in a movie the last 10 days. Maybe titled something like, A cruise, a funeral and 2 birthdays... What do you guys think? I didn't post about the cruise because we were heading out of the country. We spent 6 days on a Carnival cruise to Key West and the Bahamas. First time we have ever done anything like that. It was great.

Unfortunately while we were cruising my Grand Mothers husband passed away. We hustled home and did the family thing on Thursday with all the relatives coming in from out of town. I had the privilege of being a pall bearer on Friday for the funeral and my grand mother was extremely happy that we came back for it. Jim was 89 and I have known him basically my entire life. He was a good man and made my grand mother very happy. He fought pneumonia for 3 weeks and finally decided to refuse treatment and my mom was able to get him into hospice. He passed 2 days later with dignity.

After the funeral luncheon we jumped in the truck and headed to the Keys which is where the kids wanted to spend their birthdays. Jr's was Saturday and Laney's is today. I no longer have any single digit kids. Wow. Laney is 10 now.

It was a truly a great 10 days. I have tons of pictures and believe it or not I worked out at least 5 times over this period. I also ate very well and enjoyed every moment I could. It is times like these that I believe I will remember forever.

Derek Simonds
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM
27 March 2012 Tuesday AM

D W/U

DB Press 15 X 10, 20 X 10 X 3, 25 X 10 X 2
BB Rowz X 10 X 6

BB Press X 10 X 3
P/U 1,2,3

Front Side and Rear Raises X 12 with 2 LB DB and 12 with 5 LB DB

I realized as I was eating my daughters birthday cake last night that I have ate ice cream or cake every night since a week ago Saturday except one night. Wow. Time to get back to serious training and diet...

I downloaded a bunch of the pictures from the trip and two stood out. I thought I would share.

This is my wife sitting on the beach in the Bahamas.

http://i39.tinypic.com/rjjv9h.jpg

Sunset at Morada Bay in the Keys.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2h86aup.jpg

Off to a little lunch time BJJ...

Allen Yeh
03-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Happy birthday to the happy 10 year old.

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. Godspeed.

Derek Simonds
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks on both accounts Allen.

27 March 2012 Tuesday Noon

BJJ Competition Class: Well if you want to find out what you are made of take 10 days off and have your first cardio be a competition class. I walked in the door and immediately I was in rotation for a drill. I was on my back starting with closed guard and I had to sweep or submit and my opponent had to pass and we went until that happened. When we were done he would run across the room and do 5 take downs and then run back to me to do again. We did this 5 times. Then it was my turn to do the take downs and run across the room. Well that got the ole heart jump started.

We then worked some 50/50 stuff and I grappled for another 7 minutes and laid on the floor trying not to vomit. Felt good. Good to be alive. So good I am heading back to the academy in 15 minutes for round two...

Arien Malec
03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
One of the first adaptations to go....

Derek Simonds
03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
27 March 2012 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class worked some quick spider guard stuff and some takedown drills.

28 March 2012

D W/U

FS 45 X 3 X 2, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 3,2
Leverage Block Curlz with weight slid out farther X 12 X 3

So I hit myself in the face with the weight doing the curlz... Split my forehead open. My head bled the rest of the workout. I ended up calling it quits because my head was throbbing.

Heading out to Nashvegas for a couple of days.

Allen Yeh
03-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Lmao....

Derek Simonds
03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Lmao....

Yeah it was ridiculous. It was one of those stupid moments where I looked away and then looked back right as my arm passed the sticking spot. Pow! Right in the forehead.

28 March 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Advanced: intense heavyweight only training. This was big boy rules... Grappled non stop for 20 minutes doing the takedown pass or sweep rotation. Worked some more on 50/50 escapes. Grappled another 10 minutes. Last roll was with a guy they call Nebraska, he was at least 250 and just stupid strong. I was able to move through a lot of different progressions. I had an armbar I have done a thousand times and the guy shoved my leg and rolled on me in a way that I have never experienced before. My lower leg got caught under him and my knee went POP! That freaked me out. No pain, no swelling but I decided to call it quits.

I have been icing as much as I could since it happened. Lots of pain yesterday but it got better as the day progressed.

29 March 2012

D W/U
DB incline bench up to 50 x 10 x 3
DB Shrugz up to 50 x 10 x 3
DB Rowz up to 50 x 10 x 3
Face Pullz x 10 x 3

Finished the day with a big momma plate from Martins BBQ. I will add the picture of one of my guys plate later. It was amazing.

Arien Malec
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
BBQ makes all problems better.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
30 March 2012 Friday

D W/U

Another hotel workout. I hit a bunch of stuff including curl and press, db crush, floor press, shrugz, curlz, push ups and pull ups.

Had a full day of meetings and got home about 9:00 last night.

31 March 2012 Saturday

BJJ Advanced: Worked some cool stuff from butterfly. First did a pass where you grab under their one leg to trap their other foot. Also did some choke, sweep, armbar, triangle combos from butterfly. One of my favorite progressions I need to do more often.

Grappled 1 10 minute round and worked half guard for 10 minutes. All in all a good day.

Derek Simonds
04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
02 April 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked all kinds of fun stuff tonight. Finished with taking the back and three chokes. Grappled a little with Rich and called it a night.

Tomorrow I am off to Detroit for the biggest meeting of my career. Should be fun. I love being in the game.