View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

Arien Malec
04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Good luck!

Derek Simonds
04-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Good luck!

Thanks Arien. I crushed the meeting and the project is moving forward. A little at a time but by golly we have momentum.

04 April 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Gracie Barra Maine: Trained hard with some corn fed boys who were buck strong. I really enjoyed my rolls and was able to hit some very cool sweeps and submissions. I am still dehydrated today.

05 April 2012 Thursday AM

Hotel room workout, bands and body weight.

Life is coming at me really fast right now. No complaints just not as much structure as usual. I am going to reevaluate what I am trying to accomplish over the next 60 days based on where my job is right now. I will know on April 16th but if this deal comes together I am going to be super busy up until August.

Allen Yeh
04-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Thanks Arien. I crushed the meeting and the project is moving forward. A little at a time but by golly we have momentum.

Nice

Kevin Perry
04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
02 April 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked all kinds of fun stuff tonight. Finished with taking the back and three chokes. Grappled a little with Rich and called it a night.

Tomorrow I am off to Detroit for the biggest meeting of my career. Should be fun. I love being in the game.

Congrats man!

Arien Malec
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Awesome on the meeting!

Derek Simonds
04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. It has been a crazy couple of days. I got stuck in Portland Maine Thursday night. Flew home on Friday. Interviewed a couple of potential employees on Friday and then headed up to the academy.

6 March 2012 PM

BJJ Competition: Ended up being open mat and I grappled for 90 minutes with breaks. Great time on the mats.

7 March 2012 All Day

D W/U
DB Bench 35 X 15 X 4
Fat Man Ring Rowz X 10 X 4

I did a very physical advanced concealed carry class. This was with the same instructor that I did the shotgun class with last year. Lots of really cool drilling. I ended up shooting right around 500 rounds. The highlight of the class for me was the family protection stuff. We finished off the day by shooting out of our own cars. Quite interesting. I will post some pictures when I get them.

Derek Simonds
04-09-2012, 05:50 AM
09 April 2012 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Push Ups to 4" Box X 2 X 4
Reactive Box Jumps 20" X 2 X 4

Press 45 X8, 65 X 8 X 4
BB Rowz 45 X8, 65 X 8 X 4

Shoulder Raise, Front, Side and Rear 5 X 10 X 2
DB Shrugz X 40 X 10 X 2

DB FLoor Press 40 X 15 X 2
DB Curlz 20 X 15 X 2

Leverage Block Curlz X 12

My wife isn't sleeping good right now with her diet so I am not sleeping good. It seems I am consistently getting 7 hours of sleep. I need a little more then that. I am going to do everything I can to get some sleep this week.

I decided I needed to get back on a structured workout routine. I am back on the Juggernaut training system. This week I am doing lighter weights and working my way back in. I tried to sprint this morning but my right knee is still not feeling good. All in all a pretty good workout.

Derek Simonds
04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
09 April 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Open Mat: Trained with Rich and Jeff. All I did was work position and go for submissions. Nothing set in stone I was mainly flowing off whatever they did. I stayed in the entire time and let them rotate out.

BJJ Fundamentals: Armbar sweep and butterfly sweep. I did get to play with one of the guys who was at the Braulio seminar this weekend and I learned some neat stuff.

BJJ Advanced: Learned a cool way to neutralize butterfly guard using a leg lock to mount. I ended up grappling 4 6 minute rounds and am pretty dehydrated right now.

I have periods both in the gym and in BJJ where I am in a supercompensation period. I feel like I am in one of those for BJJ right now. I am learning so much and my game is evolving so quickly. It is a lot of fun!

Derek Simonds
04-10-2012, 05:56 AM
10 April 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 5 X 3
DL 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3

Swings with fat gripz X 20 X 4

The back squat hurt my shoulder like an SOB. I played with hand positions but nothing was good. I am going back to FS Friday. Drat.

Allen Yeh
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Just buy a safety squat bar, you know you want one....

Derek Simonds
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Just buy a safety squat bar, you know you want one....

Why now that you mention it...

Derek Simonds
04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
11 April 2012 Wednesday

Man work is just bonkers right now. Lots of stuff, lots of stress, lots of travel. All in all it is good just crazy.

D W/U
Foam Roll

12 LB Bouncy Med Ball Throws into the wall X 300. I used 6 different throws overhead, rotational from each side, 1 handed from each side and chest pass.

This was actually a little more challenging then I thought it would be. I was sweating and breathing hard, not anerobic but harder than normal. Next week I am going for 600 throws.

Derek Simonds
04-12-2012, 04:44 AM
11 April 2012 Wednesday

Trained BJJ at Gracie Barra Georgia. Again work was trying hard to interfere with my workouts :) I ended up on a call that took forever and I was later than I had planned. They still let me join in the fun.

Trained some take downs, a couple of sweeps and an armbar when your opponent stands in your closed guard.

12 April 2012 Thursday

D W/U
Med Ball Rolling

Neutral Grip DB Press 10 X 12, 15 X 12, 20 X 15,12,10
Chin Up X 3 X 6

DB Shrugz X 40 X 15 X 2
Hammer Curlz X 20 X 15 X 2

Cable Tricep Pressdown X 15 X 2
Cable Ext Rotation X 12 X 2

Nice and quick and I am off to work.

Arien Malec
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
There are times when long, slow and reasonably consistent is the right strategy.

Derek Simonds
04-13-2012, 03:54 AM
12 April 2012 Thursday PM

Gracie Barra Georgia

BJJ Advanced: worked some takedowns and knee through pass. After that we did specific training from different positions. I was working with a 220 lb Ranger from Ft Benning. He was strong! We did takedowns, open guard and then closed guard and then open guard drills. Last drill was open guard plus submissions and I went with one of their brown belts.

During his turn we were stalemated. My turn on the other hand I went at him like a spider monkey. I got a sweep we reset and than I attacked. Omoplata to triangle to omoplata to triangle to armbar as time was called. Felt good to be able to pull off what I have been working on so much lately on a higher belt.

Afterwards I ate dinner with my aunt and uncle who live nearby. It was fantastic. She really outdid herself. It is rare that I visit with people while traveling so this was very nice.

Derek Simonds
04-13-2012, 04:36 AM
13 April 2012 Friday

D W/U
Med ball rolling

Incline DB Bench 25 x 15, 35 x 15, 45 x 15,12,10
Db Rowz 35 x 10 x 5
Double green band pull a parts x 10 x 5

Incline russian twist 12 lb med ball x 15 x 2
Floor press 35 lb db x 15 x 2
Db curlz x 15 x 2

30 minutes total time. Getting better. Off to make the donuts.

Arien Malec
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Off to make the donuts.

Wait, what?

Derek Simonds
04-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Wait, what?

My over used figure of speech when describing what I do sometimes. I think I picked it up from a commercial many many years ago. Let me do a little google-fu... ah here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petqFm94osQ. That is an oldie right there.

15 April Sunday sometime in the morning.

Saturday was the state finals for Jr's Odyssey of the Mind team. He did great but the team fell apart at the end. Unfortunate but these things happen with kids. I am proud of his hard work and effort. He is now focusing on gymnastics for the remainder of the year. We were at the school at 7:00 am and walked back in the house at 10:45 PM. Brutal day. My wife was about to commit capital murder if I didn't get her some food. Luckily we were able to get out and get her fed before I needed to restrain her...

Jr's new bow came in so we got him all set up on Sunday and he kindly gave his old bow to his sister. That made me very happy. Here is a great picture of the two of them.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2u4ijr7.jpg

He is improving rapidly and I think that it is very likely that we will be hunting this fall.

Back to Sunday workout now.

D W/U
Foam Roll

Med Ball Mania: I did 8 different explosive throws X 6 each and chased the ball down after each throw. I finished with a squat jump throw straight up combined with 3 pushups X 10

DB Press up to 35 X 8 X 3
Chin UPs X 3 X 6

Plate Raise + Plate Front Press + Plate Halo X 10 X 2

BB Press + Lateral Raise + Rear Raise 10 LB DB X 10 X 2

AB / Med ball 1 hand catch and throw X 40 X 2

Took about an hour and worked with my wife the entire time. It was a lot of fun for us to be hanging out in the garage, training and joking around. I was very happy.

Finished the weekend with a dinner for the kids birthdays. My mom fed us like royalty. Luckily for me the kids requested boiled shrimp, grilled salmon, asparagus and fettuccine Joanne. My mom of course had to make brownie sundaes for their birthday and how could I say no to that.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
16 April 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals and Advanced: 2 hours of BJJ while I am in Nash Vegas. Got to train with a great 2 stripe belt named Prof Reggie. He is 6' 4" and probably 235. Good to train with a big man. You can learn a lot from his different body positions.

All good and truly a great group of people to train with. They aren't very advanced as they opened in November of last year. I was going fairly easy unless Prof Reggie asked me to go harder. Even when the student asked I still went easy.

One guy who apparently is the top dog told me he had his reputation to uphold before we trained which I felt was odd. I still went normal and even asked if he wanted any advice he replied it wouldn't matter so I gave no advice. Later we grappled again with submissions and he was kind of surly. I was going to suggest that he protect his arm better as he was leaving it wide open. He came at me like a freight train so I armbarred him 3 times in 5 minutes. He didn't speak to me again. I asked each time I got a sub if he wanted to back down and each time he came at me harder. I was more worried he was going to do something spastic and hurt me than anything else.

After class the guys were talking about how easily I hit those armbars on him and one guy said I was watching the whole time and he was defending but then he did some ninja stuff and bam armbar. That made me laugh out loud. I said nope nothing ninja at all just have been doing it for a long time.

Good training and I am no worse the wear.

Yael Grauer
04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
That guy sounds like a toolbox.

Derek Simonds
04-17-2012, 06:08 AM
That guy sounds like a toolbox.

It was weird. In 5 years of traveling and training I have had 1 maybe 2 times where I felt like someone was acting odd. This was definitely the weirdest. I have really tried to not offer advice during grappling when I am on the road and that is why I asked the guy if he wanted a suggestion.

I might go to a different location tonight and tomorrow just so I don't have to deal with his ego.

17 April 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Med ball rolling

Incline DB Bench 25 X 12, 35 X 10, 45 X 8 X 3
DB Rowz 45 X 10 X 5
Band low rows X 10 X 5

I got interrupted during my workout by a phone call and had to stop and go handle some heat. All done now and heading over to Nissan HQ.

Yael Grauer
04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
It was weird. In 5 years of traveling and training I have had 1 maybe 2 times where I felt like someone was acting odd. This was definitely the weirdest. I have really tried to not offer advice during grappling when I am on the road and that is why I asked the guy if he wanted a suggestion.

I might go to a different location tonight and tomorrow just so I don't have to deal with his ego.

I rolled with this brown belt who I actually really like, and was working really hard to pass half and she told me I was going 80% and she was only going 60%. I'm like, uh.... so? You're bigger than me and a brown belt. I mean, yeah I was using a fair amount of head pressure on the non-underhook side, but she knows how to frame on my face. She later apologized and said lower belts get to pick the pace. I think some people get upset if you even so much as score a point against them. I actually admire that tenacity and it's probably how she's gotten as good as she has (she's *so* good), but it also sometimes makes her hard to deal with.

Sorry to hijack.

Derek Simonds
04-20-2012, 06:16 AM
I rolled with this brown belt who I actually really like, and was working really hard to pass half and she told me I was going 80% and she was only going 60%. I'm like, uh.... so? You're bigger than me and a brown belt. I mean, yeah I was using a fair amount of head pressure on the non-underhook side, but she knows how to frame on my face. She later apologized and said lower belts get to pick the pace. I think some people get upset if you even so much as score a point against them. I actually admire that tenacity and it's probably how she's gotten as good as she has (she's *so* good), but it also sometimes makes her hard to deal with.

Sorry to hijack.

Good hijack. I have a couple of things I work on personally and that is to let the lower belt pick the pace unless it is unsafe. Last night was an example of that. I think that sometimes we say things to protect our ego (don't know if that is the right way to phrase it maybe sense of self) like I am going 60% or my shoulder is hurt. I really focus on not having that happen when I am working with someone.

I am glad to know that your head pressure at 80% is good enough to make her take notice. That means at tournament speed it would be a challenge to anyone of your rank!

Derek Simonds
04-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Place holder for later

18 April 2012 Wednesday

BJJ Fundamentals at GB Cool Springs

19 April 2012 Thursday

Squats, lunges and DL's all with DB's

BJJ Fundamentals and Advanced at GB Brentwood and Professor Marcelo Ribiero. Very cool and I trained twice with a super heavyweight brown belt coach who is going to NY Open this weekend. Intense.

20 April 2012 Friday

Upper Body and I am going home!!!

Derek Simonds
04-21-2012, 05:33 AM
My seminars ended fantastically at Nissan HQ but unfortunately the travel gods didn't smile on me. What should have been a simple 3 hour trip home ended up taking almost 10 hours. Oh well it happens. I am home!!!

21 April 2012 Saturday

Really tired but my wife was getting up at 06:00 to train so guess what I did...

D W/U
Foam Roll

DL 45 X 5 X 2, 135 X 3 X 3, 185 X 3 X 2, 205 X 3 X 2
Pinch Block Curlz X 8 X 4
Pinch Block Wrist Curlz X 4 X 3
Fat Gripz Piston Swings X a poop ton
Abz Wheel X 10 X 2

Finished with a .8 mile run with my wife. By the way the only concern I have about her for the upcoming competition is that she doesn't peak too early. Here is a shoulder shot from today.

http://i44.tinypic.com/22q1u.jpg

Both of her competition suits came in and they look smoking on her. Don't think I want the kids to go with us but man they look good. I have been helping her with her posing practice but I don't really know what the judges criteria is. All I have done is try and watch people on youtube who have won and we emulate them. Who knows. This sport is very subjective.

Derek Simonds
04-21-2012, 03:47 PM
21 April 2012 Saturday Noon

BJJ All Levels: Old school training today. 8 minutes of takedowns, 4 minutes of stretch and then 2 lines of students grappling across. Every round was 5 minutes and then one line rotates. We did 6 or 7 rounds. I am officially smoked. During one of the rounds with a black belt he kimura'ed me and then hit two consecutive ankle locks all in 5 minutes. It was good to be back at GBO.

http://i40.tinypic.com/6xuv7l.jpg

Arien Malec
04-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Despite the shoulder stuff, Derek, life is good, or so it seems to me from reading this.

Derek Simonds
04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Despite the shoulder stuff, Derek, life is good, or so it seems to me from reading this.

Arien life is really good. I cannot say enough thanks for my blessings. The kids and I just spent 30 minutes doing a little archery practice. Laney is actually getting it. Her bow is so under powered it is funny but she is working it hard.

Derek Simonds
04-23-2012, 06:02 AM
23 April 2012 Monday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Push Ups on to box X 4 X 2
Box Jumps X 4 X 2

Bench 45 X 8, 95 X 8, 135 X 8 X 3
BB Row 45 X 8 X 5

Not explosive and really sore this morning. This was a grinder.

Derek Simonds
04-24-2012, 06:08 AM
23 April 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Warmed up and than worked with a guy who was in his 8th class. Lots of fun. I decided to head home after fundamentals. I just wasn't feeling it.

I did get some good sleep last night but still struggled to get up when the alarm went off. I have a brutal day of travel, meetings and entertainment tomorrow. I am going to make the most of today.

24 April 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS 45 X 5,3, 95 X 3,3, 135 X 3 X 5

DB Lunge 20 X 10, 35 X 10 X 2
DB RDL 20 X 10, 35 X 10 X 2

Abz Wheel X 10 X 2

It was a balmy 49 this morning in sunny central FL. I was planning on some sprints but when I walked the dogs before my workout I decided to pass. Any excuse to avoid a run...

Derek Simonds
04-24-2012, 06:10 AM
One last thought. When your wife is 19 days out from a Figure Comp it is amazing how tight your diet becomes. I am about as dialed in as I have ever been before. Mainly because she looks so good and it doesn't look good for me to stand next to her shirtless :D It also doesn't hurt that all the normal temptations (read beer) are absent from our fridge. I have one beer hidden in the back of the fridge behind a pile of spinach and broccoli for emergency purposes only!

Allen Yeh
04-25-2012, 06:00 AM
I have one beer hidden in the back of the fridge behind a pile of spinach and broccoli for emergency purposes only!

It's one of those mini-kegs isn't it?

Derek Simonds
04-25-2012, 06:33 AM
It's one of those mini-kegs isn't it?

Sadly no... I almost busted it out last night. Major stress with the competition coming up and Tracy dealing with being a female. We are making it though!

24 April 2012 Ran with Jr. We took the dogs and did a nice 1 mile run. Unscripted and totally just for the heck of it. We talked the entire way.

Arien Malec
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
24 April 2012 Ran with Jr. We took the dogs and did a nice 1 mile run. Unscripted and totally just for the heck of it. We talked the entire way.

These are the best moments!

Derek Simonds
04-27-2012, 05:36 AM
25 April 2012 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

8 X 50 12 Med Ball Throws at the wall catch on first bounce. I did 8 different variations of throws. A little more than last time and I am working my way up to a 1000 throws at a time. This is a good recovery type of workout.

2 X 10 Ab Wheelz
5 X 20 Head to ceiling S/U's
5 X 10 Back Extensions

Derek Simonds
04-27-2012, 05:41 AM
26 April 2012 Thursday PM

Got home from South Florida in time to pick up Delaney from school and Jr from the bus stop. Not something I normally get to do. It was great to be there for them.

Delaney asked that we go for a run. Who am I to say no... So we ran .5 miles and than took the dogs on a nice 1 mile walk. In the last 6 days I have run once with each family member. I think they all most have some plan worked out I don't know about to make sure I am getting enough cardio... You know it isn't paranoia if they really are planning behind your back :D Pretty

Arien you are correct these are the absolute best moments.

Derek Simonds
04-30-2012, 07:30 AM
27 April 2012 Friday AM

This was an upper body day in my rotation and I trained but didn't write it down.

27 April 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: An entire class on footlocks and escapes. It was great to see this in the curriculum.

28 April 2012 Saturday AM

Trained with Tracy.

DL's up to 225 X 3 X 5
FS up to 185 X 1 X 5

Box Jumps X 4 X 2
Explosive Push Ups X 4 X 2

Med Ball Anti Rotation Throw situps X 40 X 2

DB Curlz 35 X 15
DB Tricep Extension + Press 20 X 15 X 2

Handstand Holds X 3 + Double Red Band Pull Aparts X 20 X 3

Great workout and than we headed to the lake. Loads of fun up there. Our drought is causing a real problem for the water level. We need some rain and soon...

Allen Yeh
04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
26 April 2012 Thursday PM

Arien you are correct these are the absolute best moments.

Hear hear!

Derek Simonds
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
31 partner BJJ drills. This is some good stuff right here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loagxhLGsA&feature=g-all-u

Derek Simonds
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
From this weekend at the lake.

http://i47.tinypic.com/r90a35.jpg

Derek Simonds
05-01-2012, 07:21 AM
1 May 2012 Tuesday AM

I dragged myself out of bed this morning and I mean literally dragged. Don't know why I am so tired but alas I am.

D W/U
Foam Roll
Clean the garage from the lake trip

Press up to 95 X 5 X 4
Chin Ups X 6,6,6,3,3

Lever block Curlz X all the way out with 2.5 LB's X 10 X 2
95 LB BB Curlz X 4 X 2

BOSU Feet Elevated Push Ups X 10 X 2
Yellow Band Low Pulls X 20 X 2

Lots of stuff being thrown at me right now. All good in the end but boy howdy my plate is full. I might need to back off a little on training. I will see how I am recovering over the next two weeks.

Last night I asked Jr for some carrots for my lunch today. He looked in the fridge and replied "Dad all that is in there are in moms special baggies and I a'int touching them!" Yes contest prep is that intense when your 12 YO is afraid of his mom if he touches her food. :D

We got a really good chuckle out of it. I don't know if I wrote about it but I found out last week on Friday that Laney got moved up to competition team and will be competing as a level 4 in the fall and that Jr won the pull up competition at the Volusia County Junior Olympics. He did 16 and they are going to present him his blue ribbon at the next awards assembly. Laney got invited to go to the elementary Junior Olympics that is May 12th for the standing long jump. Proud of those kids. Hell I am proud of my wife with what she has done already. Just proud all around!

Arien Malec
05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Yet another post that's full of win. Congrats all 'round!

Derek Simonds
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Yet another post that's full of win. Congrats all 'round!

Thanks Arien. I worry sometimes that what I write seems like bragging. It is what is in my head and how I celebrate the items in my life that I share with others. I hope that makes some sense.

02 May 2012 Tuesday

BJJ Fundamentals: Fundamentals were done all around...

BJJ Competition: It must be ankle lock week. Man my right ankle got worked tonight. Learned a really cool defense to armbar transition that I will be practicing regularly. Grappled 3 rounds and finished with one round with Prof Simpson. Good times. Surprisingly my gas is really good right now.

Derek Simonds
05-02-2012, 05:57 AM
02 May 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

FS 45 X 5 X 2, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 2,1,1
DL 45 X5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 3,1

35 LB DB's Lunge X 12 X 2
35 LB DB's RDL X 10 X 2
Abz Wheel Rollouts X 15 X 2

I was exhausted last night and changed my alarm to sleep to 06:00. Well I was awake at 04:51 and kind of rolled around til 05:15 and got up and got to it. Good workout so I am glad I did it.

Delaney coached me on my abz wheel work. She stood on my feet because it is harder you see. I love that girl.

I am not seriously trying to lose weight but I am down to 194.00 and that was after 32 oz's of fluid this morning. I imagine this has a direct impact on my BJJ gas tank that I was noting last night.

Tracy is 10 days out from her contest. It is hard not to second guess what we are doing with her diet. The last 5 days pre-contest are designed to peak at exactly 11:00 AM on contest day. The author says you have a 50/50 chance of peaking correctly. I really don't want to be the one that screws this up for her. This is definitely not my area of expertise. So far so good but this is the time where every decision makes a difference in placing. Tracy is not going into this expecting to win, she is doing this to prove what she is capable of for her personal training clients. HOWEVER you guys all know I am competitive... I do not say any of this to her. Hell I am certain I am more worked up over this than she is.

Derek Simonds
05-04-2012, 06:17 AM
03 May 2012 Thursday AM

Med Ball Throws X 65 X 8 (8 different variations of throws)
Explosive Push Ups unto box X 3 X 8

BB Reverse Grip Rowz X 20

Derek Simonds
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
03 May 2012 Thursday PM

BJJ FUNdamentals: Fun stuff with positional drilling from side control.

BJJ NoGi: More ankle lock goodness. Learned another variant to attack the opposite ankle when you miss the first one. By the way my right ankle is sore after all this grinding. Grappled 3 rounds got submitted and did some submitting all in all a good night of training.

04 May 2012 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench up to 145 X 8 X 4
P/U X 4 X 5
Fat Man Ring Rowz X 10 X 5

DB Floor Press 35 X 15, 50 X 12 X 2
35 DB Curlz X 8 X 3

Wrist Curlz X 5 X 2
Phone book notch tear X Fail got 3/4 of the way done and couldn't finish it.

Derek Simonds
05-05-2012, 05:49 AM
04 May 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Some fun techniques from side control and 100 Kilo. Than we did positional drilling from side and 100 Kilo. I grappled one round and had to head out to get Laney from gym.

05 May 2012 Saturday AM

D W/U

Explosive Med Balls Throws X 5 X 6 X 20 LB'er (really explosive including big jump on each throw)

Box Jumps X 4 X 2
Push Ups on box X 4 X 2 (both of these I raised from what I had been doing)

DL up to 275 X 3, 315 X 1

1 Minute Plank, 1 minute plank with feet on med ball, 1 minute plank elbows on BOSU, 1 minute plank elbows on bosu and feet on med ball

25 head to ceiling sit ups with 12 lb med ball X 3
Supermans X 25 X 3

Trained with Tracy again today and it was great. I have had some serious employee problems the last three days and it is super frustrating. I feel like I am handcuffed in dealing with several items that I just need off my plate. I am trying to stay focused on the big picture and moving forward but sometimes you get caught up in the minutiae. I had a business associate many years ago who would say I think you are trying to pick fly droppings out of your pepper... and that is kind of what I have been doing.

Tracy is ready for the competition. She was 121.8 this morning and doesn't look sunken in the face at all. Her routines look great and I know she is going to rock it.

Derek Simonds
05-06-2012, 04:35 AM
05 May 2012 Saturday Noon

BJJ All Levels: Worked more on side control and 100 Kilo. I grappled 3 rounds none o f which I went hard. I did work half guard a lot and of course got passed a lot. I did get 2 kneebars and 1 ankle lock rolling with another purple belt just like we have been working in class. I have got to get more aggressive in half guard bottom.

Derek Simonds
05-08-2012, 06:14 AM
8 May 2012 Tuesday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 8 X 4, 115 X 1
P/U 4 X 5

8 LB Front, Side and Rear raises X 10 X 2
45 LB DB Shrugz X 12 X 2

1 Arm Floor Press 50 X 12, 65 X 8 X 2 (Wow!)
1 Arm Concentration Curlz 20 X 12, 25 X 10 X 2

Great day on the water Sunday, Brutal day of travel on Monday in the office and raring to go today!

Derek Simonds
05-08-2012, 06:28 AM
The kids and I had a really good day on Mosquito Lagoon on Sunday. We fished, had an appetizer at one of our favorite restaurants, and swam for a while. The weather was hot but beautiful. We managed to catch redfish, trout, ladyfish and an unwanted catfish. All in all about the best you could ask for. Here is Jr with an undersize Redfish.

http://i47.tinypic.com/25iqknq.jpg

Derek Simonds
05-09-2012, 05:53 AM
08 May 2012 Tuesday PM

BJJ Drills: 30 minutes practice before class on ankle lock stuff from last week.

BJJ Fundamentals: Scissor sweep and variations plus a new scissor sweep where you switch the arm you are gripping and roll your opponent over backwards. This plays right into taking the back if your opponent resists the sweep. I love it! I am going to go back to working on this more now that I have this set up.

Derek Simonds
05-09-2012, 05:57 AM
09 May 2012 AM

Let it be known that today was the overall heaviest lower body day I have done in a long time. I am still as weak as circus lemonade but dammit we are going to celebrate our victories when we can!

FS up to 185 X 2 X 3, 195 X 1, 205 X 1
DO DL up to 275

SN Grip OH Lunges X 11 X 16, 45 X 12, 65 X 8,8, 75 X 8
Abz Wheel 15 X 3

Yes, yes and more yes. I am happy that this week feels so strong and will take it when I can get it.

Tracy is at 120.4 right now and I am stressing majorly on the water / peaking for the show. I pray that I don't screw this up for her. She looks incredible and when she carb loads on Friday I bet her muscles are going to pop ridiculously.

I will be posting some pics the day of the show.

Derek Simonds
05-10-2012, 05:58 AM
09 May 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: All standing except one drill for triangles.

BJJ Advanced: Escapes and Attacks from turtle. I only grappled 1 round my left rhomboids were on fire from the lifting session in the AM. I had a good no stress grapple and than sat and worked on my portugese for a little while before we bowed out.

Derek Simonds
05-10-2012, 06:00 AM
10 May 2012 Thursday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll
Med Ball Roll

Med Ball Throws X 460 Some of the throws were aggravating the muscle in my back so I cut them short.

Feet Elevated Push Ups X 10 X 3
Pinch Block Curlz with a 5 LB weight half way up X 4 X 5

No big deal on the muscle in my back just irritating. I am going to do everything I can to sprint tonight when I get home. I am also going to get in bed before 10:00 PM.

Derek Simonds
05-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Tracy sent me this picture which she let me post on FB yesterday. She is so ripped up right now it is crazy. Today is the last hard day before the show.

http://i45.tinypic.com/oivfgz.jpg

Allen Yeh
05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Med Ball Throws X 460 Some of the throws were aggravating the muscle in my back so I cut them short.

460 throws would aggravate anyones back!

Allen Yeh
05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Tracy sent me this picture which she let me post on FB yesterday. She is so ripped up right now it is crazy. Today is the last hard day before the show.

Best of luck!

Arien Malec
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Best of luck!

From me as well!

Derek Simonds
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks guy. Well Tracy was 118.4 this morning and is getting her BF checked just for kicks and giggles. Today is carb loading starting with fruit at her first meal ending with drinking syrup at dinner tonight... She is excited about the diet change for sure.

Allen the med ball throws are supposed to be an active recovery thing. They have been working very well up until yesterday. I have been building towards a 1000 throws.

10 May 2012 Thursday PM

Warm Up Jog 400'ish meters

Sprints 10 X 50 Meters + 3 Push Ups each time

I was in bed by 9:45 so that was a win as well.

11 May 2012 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench up to 155 X 8 X 3
Chin Up X 3 X 8

DB Incline Bench 35 X 12, 50 X 10 X 2, 75 X F, 65 X 5
DB Curlz 25 X 10 X 3, 35 X 10

Man I thought that I had the 75's on the DB Incline. Unfortunately it was too much. I think I could have pressed them once but I felt a pain in my shoulder so discretion it was. My flat BB Bench is an absolute embarrassment. I mean seriously benching 155 was not easy. Oh well that is what happens with age and surgery.

Allen Yeh
05-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks guy. Well Tracy was 118.4 this morning and is getting her BF checked just for kicks and giggles. Today is carb loading starting with fruit at her first meal ending with drinking syrup at dinner tonight... She is excited about the diet change for sure.

Allen the med ball throws are supposed to be an active recovery thing. They have been working very well up until yesterday. I have been building towards a 1000 throws.

10 May 2012 Thursday PM

Warm Up Jog 400'ish meters

Sprints 10 X 50 Meters + 3 Push Ups each time

I was in bed by 9:45 so that was a win as well.

11 May 2012 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench up to 155 X 8 X 3
Chin Up X 3 X 8

DB Incline Bench 35 X 12, 50 X 10 X 2, 75 X F, 65 X 5
DB Curlz 25 X 10 X 3, 35 X 10

Man I thought that I had the 75's on the DB Incline. Unfortunately it was too much. I think I could have pressed them once but I felt a pain in my shoulder so discretion it was. My flat BB Bench is an absolute embarrassment. I mean seriously benching 155 was not easy. Oh well that is what happens with age and surgery.

Ha, I thought 460 was a typo! Shows what I know, you can be the next Herschel Walker, just start doing the 1000 and 1000 of the pushups and situps! I was listening to the radio the other day talking about the ESPN Doc about Herschel, the dude is a beast.

What about floor pressing? http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/7_shoulderfriendly_pressing_variations

Yael Grauer
05-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Good luck to Tracy!!

Derek Simonds
05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
12 May 2012 Saturday ALL DAY

FS up to 185 X 2 x 2, 195 X 2

A whole bunch of other stuff and then we were off to the races for Tracy's competition.

Short version Tracy won Masters Bikini, Figure Novice and took second in Masters Figure to Mrs Figure Puerto Rico 2010. That division the winner earns their pro card in the IFPA. Can't really express how proud of Tracy I am. She went out there and crushed it with no real professional training. Just my google-fu and her hard work.

She is on the right in the dark blue bikini. This was Masters Bikini.

http://i50.tinypic.com/14dn4o0.jpg

Here is the Figure Novice division. She is in the middle in the black suit.

http://i47.tinypic.com/xn6alz.jpg

And here is Masters Figure. She is second from right same suit as last picture. The girl to the left is the winner and who got her pro card.

http://i45.tinypic.com/144cxac.jpg

I learned so much doing this with her. Bikini / Figure / Body Building is a completely different world and I have much more respect for it (at least the natural side) than I did in the past.

Again I am so proud of all the hard work Tracy did to get to this point. I also feel like we missed her peak but oh well what is done is done.

Arien Malec
05-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Congratulations! Incredible, especially for her first competition!

Allen Yeh
05-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Congratulations, awesome placings!

Derek Simonds
05-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks guys!

Tracy watched the videos from her posing and has decided that it is all about how she stood. She was just as ripped as the winner just didn't pose as well. She also picked out a competition in IL in November that she wants to do.

It looks like I might be a Figure Husband, Gymnastics Dad and Baseball Dad for the foreseeable future. Jr has decided he wants to play fall baseball, Laney will be doing her first gymnastics competition in the fall and Tracy will be training for her next figure comp. Somewhere in there I need to get some BJJ in :D !

I woke up all kinds of sore today so decided it was going to be a recovery week. Sitting in the auditorium all day on Saturday played havoc with my back muscle that was already irritated.

14 May 2012 Monday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 3 X 4
BB Curlz 45 X 8 X 4

Stretching. Different directions and modalities for upper body.

Allen Yeh
05-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Next time your training ADD hits and you want to lose some weight check out German Body Comp stuff from Charles Poliquin. He has the book on his site for like $9 or there is enough online I think to piece it all together, from his articles at T-mag to his own articles on his website. It's basically just supersetting or circuiting heavy multi joint exercises in the 8+ rep range and following tempo's for all of it for 3 or more sets. An example is last week for one superset it was cyclist back squats(like a back squat and a half) 30X0 for 6-8 reps, for 4 sets with neutral grip pullups 30X0. The tempos are just killer since it's just not something I have paid attention to.

Started 2 weeks ago and it's ass kicking and different from how I had trained in the last year+. Seeing some good results in just these last 2 weeks. Been on a big Charles Poliquin kick these last few weeks reading his older stuff again online. He has a lot of gems that I remember reading just never put into practice or I did it for a bit and stopped.

Will let you know how the other 4 weeks of training goes if your interested.

Derek Simonds
05-14-2012, 11:06 AM
For sure keep me updated. I am always willing to try something different. I have always thought he had some great stuff just never tried any of it.

Derek Simonds
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
14 May 2012 Monday

BJJ Fundamentals: Prof Gustavo taught class and it was great. If I hadn't been so deep in the quagmire I would have stayed for the second class. As it was I needed to get home and get some work stuff knocked out.

Man life socked me in the stomach today. Just a horrible combination of work and family stress. Nothing I can't handle but boy howdy it makes for a miserable Monday and a long Monday night. I am running on fumes right now but have a pretty dialed in travel day Wednesday and Thursday.

Derek Simonds
05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
15 March 2012 Tuesday PM

BJJ Open Mat: Worked for 45 minutes on bottom guard and passing open guard.

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked on some fun stuff from the standing guard pass to side control to mount to armbar. Nice transition and I should play with that more often.

16 March 2012 Wednesday AM

D W/U
Clean Garage for Time

FS up to 135 X 1 X 3
Bench up to 135 X 3 X 3

Nothing heavy just movement patterning.

Derek Simonds
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
17 May 2012 Thursday

Got up early and did a hotel room workout with bands. Hit a whole bunch of different movement patterns. Really focused on back and shoulders.

Spoke at the national field meeting for Infiniti. My topic was well received and I really enjoyed the time with the team and at the Four Seasons. When I finished with my talk I went ahead and worked out again. The gym was really nice and I did every DB exercise I could think of for upper body but with really light weight.

Once I got done with the workout I spent a very relaxing 20 minutes in the eucalyptus steam room. Wow I want one of those for my house.

It appears I have handled all of the crap from earlier this week and am hopefully back to my productive non ornery self.

Derek Simonds
05-19-2012, 06:05 AM
18 May 2012 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Med Ball Throws X 25 X 7 different types
Explosive push ups X 3 X 5 onto 5 inch box

Lever Block Curlz 5 LB X 3 X 5
Mace Swings 2.5 LB X 15 each direction X 5
Box Jumps 25" X 3 X 5

18 May 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Positional Drilling all open guard started with no sweeps no subs just control and worked up to live grappling no closed guard and no half guard. Actually quite a challenging class. I didn't realize how often I closed guard or half guard when transitioning. Good to do this type of stuff.

19 May 2012 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

DL up to 225 X 5

3 rounds of
95 LB Hang Power Clean X 3
Hands off ground at bottom Burpees X 5

Hang Power Snatch + 2 OHS 45 X 4

Rolling Thunder 25 X 5, 50 X 5 X 3, 75 X 5
Ab Wheelz X 10 X 3
Banded Good Mornings (per Justin) X 10 X 3

Good all around training. Lots of fun stuff in here.

Derek Simonds
05-19-2012, 03:29 PM
19 May 2012 Saturday

Impromptu 1 mile run to pick up my truck from the service department.

BJJ All Levels: Same exact class as last night. I had some good movement and trained harder than I had planned when I started.

Feeling a little run down right about now...

Derek Simonds
05-21-2012, 09:11 AM
21 May 2012 Monday

Spent the day on the lagoon with Tracy and the kids yesterday and had a blast. We caught fish, saw some cool stuff and ate a ton of seafood.

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 155 X 3 X 2, 165 X 3
DL up to 275 X 3, 2

Banded GM's X 12 X 3
Loading Pin DL X 25 X 3, 50 X 3 X 3, 75 X 3 X 2

Done and packed up to headed to Philly area for 3 days of consults.

Derek Simonds
05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
22 May 2012 Tuesday

AM: Hotel Workout! Booyah. Well it wasn't really that exciting. Band work and push ups.

PM: BJJ All levels at BJJ United in Jenkintown PA. Prof Jared Weiner is a Team Lloyd Irwin Black Belt and it was some kind of heavy duty training. I grappled 3 rounds with all big purple belts and sat out one round. Then Prof Jared said go one more round with a purple belt named Harold. I was able to pass and get a sub right away. Prof said again I did it again. Well he kept yelling for me to attack and I did. I ended up subbing this dude 5 times in a 6 minute round. We reset to standing every time. Loads of fun and I trained a lot harder than I had planned on.

Yael Grauer
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
You're in Jenkintown? My old stompin' grounds! I grew up in Dresher (Ft. Wash.)

Derek Simonds
05-23-2012, 05:19 AM
You're in Jenkintown? My old stompin' grounds! I grew up in Dresher (Ft. Wash.)

Yep actually in Willow Grove and drove over to Jenkintown to train. Traffic is horrible on 611 just saying.

23 May 2012 Wednesday

Motel, Hotel, Hampton INN... Another workout in my room. Lots of fun stuff. Probably the most creative thing I did was RFESS Banded with my hands locked out overhead. I actually got my HR up and a pretty decent workout in this morning.

Arien Malec
05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Banded RFESS sounds either badass or really awkward. Perhaps both, with a dash of R rated.

Yael Grauer
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Yep actually in Willow Grove and drove over to Jenkintown to train. Traffic is horrible on 611 just saying.

I have fond memories of hanging out in Willow Grove Mall, playing Magic: The Gathering in the comic book store. And trying to buy copies of Optic Nerve. Man, I feel old.

Allen Yeh
05-23-2012, 06:40 PM
playing Magic: The Gathering

I play my Serra Angel and attack your....

Yael Grauer
05-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I play my Serra Angel and attack your....

LOL! You're one of those!!! I had a red and black deck, and then an all-green deck just to annoy people.

Allen Yeh
05-24-2012, 04:00 AM
LOL! You're one of those!!! I had a red and black deck, and then an all-green deck just to annoy people.

I had a white and blue and a green too.

Yael Grauer
05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I had a white and blue and a green too.

Oh yeah? Well I had two Shivan dragons. ;)

Derek Simonds
05-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Well I have no idea what just happened in the last few posts.. And now back to your regularly scheduled melarcky... :D

Derek Simonds
05-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Banded RFESS sounds either badass or really awkward. Perhaps both, with a dash of R rated.

They actually worked out really well. I have a black band that has a decent amount of resistance it also has handles. I stood on the band with my foot on the floor and pressed the bands to lock out and did the RFESS from that position. It was a surprisingly good workout.

Derek Simonds
05-25-2012, 09:04 AM
24 May 2012 Thursday

Another hotel workout this time at the Embassy Suites in Newark DE. I got my swole on people. I hit every DB lift for upper body plus some grip specific stuff. The highlight had to be 3 sets of incline DB bench with 50 LB'ers for 12 reps each. That was a pleasant surprise.

25 May 2012 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 8 X 3
P/U X 3 X 6

DL up to 275 X 4, 1
5 LB Pinch Block Curlz X 5 X 3

Green Band GM's X 12 X 3
Rolling Thunder X 50 X 10, 75 X 10 X 2, 100 X 5 R, 2 L

I am forgetting something but don't know what. Good work out and I have already done 5 expense reports (the bane of my existence) 2 sales webinars and 2 contracts. Been a very productive day. In fact I think I am going to take the rest of the day and the weekend off.

See you guys on the other side of Memorial Day!

Yael Grauer
05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Well I have no idea what just happened in the last few posts..

Sorry about that!

Allen Yeh
05-30-2012, 03:22 AM
I have already done 5 expense reports (the bane of my existence) 2 sales webinars and 2 contracts.!

Um yeah you forgot the cover sheets on your TPS reports...

Derek Simonds
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Good lord I feel like I haven't been here in forever. I have trained 3 or 4 times since I last posted and the highlight would be that today I back squatted...

4 June 2012 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 8 X 2, 95 X 8 X 2, 135 X 5 X 2
RDL 135 X 8 X 5
AB Wheelz 12 X 5

If I get a chance I will add more detail tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Um yeah you forgot the cover sheets on your TPS reports...

Brother I was so screwed up with all my stuff last week that I actually turned in a cliff bar in the fedex envelope with my expenses... Yep I was out of it.

Derek Simonds
06-05-2012, 06:36 AM
So a couple of cool pictures. Here is a sight fished Red from two weeks ago. I don't know if I posted this one.

http://i46.tinypic.com/72rfdf.jpg

My first bass caught on an artificial in the St Johns.

http://i50.tinypic.com/qzm9vk.jpg

Derek Simonds
06-05-2012, 06:40 AM
So I closed the big deal I was working on. It is moving ahead as a beta / pilot. That means that I am going to be covered up for the next 6 weeks doing a ton of development and internal training. I know that during periods of intense stress my workouts become very important to me along with food. With that said I am going to pay close attention to what I am attempting to do. If I feel like I am over reaching I am going to pull back. I can't afford to be sidelined for any reason right now.

Derek Simonds
06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
5 June 2012 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 8 X 5
P/U 2 X 7

DB Incline Bench 65 X 6, 50 X 12, 40 X 21 (I wanted 25 just couldn't quite get there)
Chin Up + 10 LB's X 6, DB Rowz 50 X 12, 40 X 25

BB Curlz and Tri Extensions fast to keep the blood flowing.

Derek Simonds
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
BJJ Competition Class: 7 minutes of throws / entries 4 minutes of stretch and then 49 minutes non stop of positional drilling. My aggressiveness played out quite nicely on the mat today. I had a ton of success sweeping and passing guard. Worked up one hell of a sweat as well.

Arien Malec
06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
So I closed the big deal I was working on. It is moving ahead as a beta / pilot. That means that I am going to be covered up for the next 6 weeks doing a ton of development and internal training. I know that during periods of intense stress my workouts become very important to me along with food. With that said I am going to pay close attention to what I am attempting to do. If I feel like I am over reaching I am going to pull back. I can't afford to be sidelined for any reason right now.

Awesome! Totally agree: with stress, workouts are more important, but the line between working out your stress and messing yourself up is very very fine.

Derek Simonds
06-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Awesome! Totally agree: with stress, workouts are more important, but the line between working out your stress and messing yourself up is very very fine.

Yes it is. I hope that I can find it and walk it perfectly. I have to get some more sleep this weekend I have been running on about 5/6 hours of sleep for a couple of weeks and I getting tired...

Derek Simonds
06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
5 June 2012 Tuesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Just a punch the card class. My left foot swelled up on me from where one of the big dudes from earlier in the day rolled on my foot. Owie.

6 June 2012 Wednesday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

20 Each of OH, Chest, and Scoop 12 LB Med Ball Throws X 6 Supersetted with
Green Band GM's X 12 X 3
Box Jumps 24" X 8 X 3
OH KB Lunge 16 KG X 6 each leg X 3
Explosive Push Ups on to 4" Box X 4 X 3
Crap I forgot the 5th exercise.

So a total of 360 throws and some good explosive auxiliary work.

DB 1 Arm Floor Press 50 X 6, 45 X 12, 35 X 25
DB Curlz 35 X 6, 25 X 12, 20 X 25

25 LB Oly Plate Punch Press X 20 X 3
45 LB BB X 12W, 12N, 10R

Derek Simonds
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
7 June 2012 Thursday

D W/U
Foam Roll

DB Incline Bench up to 65 X 5,4,5,5
Weighted Chins + 20 X 1,2,3,4,5,5

Press 100 X 6, 75 X 12, 55 X 22
DB Rowz 65 X 6, 45 X 12, 40 X 25

Standing Abz Wheel X 5, Kneeling X 20
Drag Curlz 55 X 8 X 2

Just ran out of time. Those standing abz wheel rollouts are difficult. At the bottom I was fully elongated but couldn't hold myself off the ground. I was able to pull back up from the bottom just couldn't hold the position.

Pleased as all punch with my db bench. The press dissapointed me at 22 for 55 lb's.

Derek Simonds
06-08-2012, 07:00 AM
07 June 2012 Thursday PM

Recovery row 2500 M's in 10:34 nice and easy never got my HR too high.

3 Rounds of Abz...
Ring L Sits X 10 seconds X 3
25 Stability ball head to ceiling sit ups
40 LB Weighted sit up X 12 X 3

08 June 2012 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll
B W/U

Hang Snatch BB X 5, 5, 65 X 1 X 10
Explosive Push Ups 4" box X 4 X 5

DO DL up to 275 X 5, 295 X 1 (in all fairness the dang bar fell out of my hands just below my knees...) switched to opposing grip and did 295 X 1 X 2
FS up to 135 X 5, 5, 145 X 5, 3

Made it to the office and already have had one helluva stressful morning...

Derek Simonds
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
09 June 2012 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll
B W/U

HPC up to 105 X 1 X 10
Explosive Push Ups X 3 X 7

Gymnastics Holds with the kids for about 10 minutes hollow rocks, hollow holds, crunch holds some pretty challenging stuff after about a minute.

Lunch

BJJ Competition Class: Some good arm bar variations involving trapping with your opponents gi and how to handle when they stack the shit out of you. Including one variant that I have never done before where you windshield wiper both your feet towards the ground diagonally over your opponents head. That worked really well for me.

Grappled 2 rounds and was generally cautious of my left foot.

Arien Malec
06-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Those standing abz wheel rollouts are difficult. At the bottom I was fully elongated but couldn't hold myself off the ground. I was able to pull back up from the bottom just couldn't hold the position.

Nice -- strong work. If you can get there, the approach that I'm trying (going to the position that you can hold and recover from, and working down) should work; also the Ross Enamait approaches (roll to a wall and recover, or use a ramp to get full extension on a slight upslope) should work as well.

Derek Simonds
06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Nice -- strong work. If you can get there, the approach that I'm trying (going to the position that you can hold and recover from, and working down) should work; also the Ross Enamait approaches (roll to a wall and recover, or use a ramp to get full extension on a slight upslope) should work as well.

Arien those are all great ideas.

Derek Simonds
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
10 June 2012 Sunday

I cleaned the garage for 4 hours and ended up doing just a ton of different things. The kids were outside playing and fishing and I was just trying to reorganize and get things back under control again. Probably the most interesting thing I did was a pinch grip on the 45 LB Plates while they were on the bar and then did a really wide snatch grip dl. It was interesting and I think I could probably get a BW one of them just for kicks and giggles.

11 June 2012 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 100 X 8 X 3, 95 X 8
P/U 3 X 6

DB Incline Bench 65 X6, 50 X 12, 40 X 25
DB Rowz 70 X 6, 50 X 12, 40 X 6

Derek Simonds
06-12-2012, 07:13 AM
11 June 2012 PM

BJJ All Levels: Sit up sweep, Kimura and a bunch of self defense stuff...

12 June 2012

Foam Roll
D W/U
B W/U

Hang PS up to 81 X 1 X 10 on the minute

BS up to 145 X 5 X 3
DL up to 275 X 2

Sand Bag OHS 45 LB's X 5 X 3
Lunges 24 KG KB Low 16 KG KB High X 4 X 2

My freaking left foot is still so krunked up. Anything with flexion of the toes is absolutely nasty...

I have not got acclimated to the kids new schedule for summer yet. I was late for work by 15 minutes this morning. Gonna have to play with this some to get it right I think...

Arien Malec
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I have not got acclimated to the kids new schedule for summer yet. I was late for work by 15 minutes this morning. Gonna have to play with this some to get it right I think...

I go the other way. Get to work super early every morning. Can't wait to get rid of the morning routine.

Derek Simonds
06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
12 June 2012 Tuesday PM

BJJ Drilling: Warm Up then 3 minutes by 6 rounds all open guard. Sweep or submit and reset. Rotate top to bottom each round. Good drilling and it was super hot and muggy upstairs.

BJJ All Levels: Same as Monday night and some good details.

13 June 2012 Wednesday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

DB Incline Bench up to 65 LB X 8 X 3 (WOW where did that come from)
Weighted Chin Ups + 25 X 3,3,3 weighted P/U + 25 X 2,3,2

Press 105 X 6, 85 X 12, 55 X 25

BB Curlz 55 LB's X 15 X 2

Wow again where did that come from. I am not sure but I will take it! I wonder if it is because last night when I got home I was pretty smoked from BJJ and right before bed I drank 16 OZ's of water with BCAA's that my wife has been taking. That is the only thing that was different at all. I felt strong this morning that is for sure.

Derek Simonds
06-15-2012, 07:07 AM
13 June 2012 Wednesday Lunch

BJJ Advanced: Good stuff with two variants of double leg takedown, 3 submissions from KOB; baseball bat with gi, spinning arm bars, clockish kind of choke. I grappled one round with our MMA coach who is a solid 235 and we fought to a draw. First time ever he hasn't got at least one sub on me during a round. Pleased with that.

14 June 2012 Thursday

Hotel Workout. Bands, 8 LB Med Ball and Push Ups. All kinds of different stuff.

15 June 2012 Friday

PC + PJ from the deck! Up to 105 X 1 X 10 on the minute. The weight is light but it felt effortless. I am able to get into the best starting position I can recall right now and that is pleasing.

Press up to 110 X 5, 120 X 3, 130 X F, 125 X 2
FS up to 120 X 5, 170 X 5, 175 X 3
P/U 5 X 4

Lots of travel not the right amount of sleep and stress are a challenge right now. I seem to still be making good progress physically.

I weighed in this morning at 192.00. This is the strongest my upper body has ever been at this weight. I feel good about where I am headed with my lower body but I am not where I need to be. I think I have another 3-5 lb's of fat to lose and then I will decide what weight I want to walk around at.

Derek Simonds
06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
15 June 2012 Friday Lunch

BJJ Competition Class: Boy howdy. Takedown from grip break by swinging arm up over their head and towards ground blocking back foot and shoulder bump. Also worked some cool techniques to pass half guard. Drilled 2 X 3 minutes just on passing half guard. Finished with one grapple with a friend I haven't trained with in forever.

Derek Simonds
06-19-2012, 06:19 AM
15 June Friday sometime late in the evening...

http://i47.tinypic.com/fbdyk3.jpg

That is the goofy lift I was talking about from last Sunday.

Derek Simonds
06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
16 June 2012 Saturday

Another day of medley work in the garage. Just having fun with one of my friends that is in town visiting. Highlights included:

Working up to 70 X 5 X 3 DB Incline Bench
Up to Chin Up + 50 LB
36" Box Jump X 3
Power Snatch up to 95 X 1 X 10

Then off to BJJ All Levels. Had a great class worked some cool half guard stuff then finished with 2 six minute round matches. I worked on all kinds of stuff and was good and smoked when we left.

Saturday evening was a pirate themed scavenger hunt in our downtown area. Tracy and I dressed up and ended up winning best costume of the night. Now I am not a fool and I know that Tracy won it but it was for a couple so they included me...

19 June 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Drilling: Drilled with Rich for 30 minutes focusing on open guard. 3 on 1 off switch positions.

MMA: I think I mentioned it but I was asked to help with our MMA team by designing some workouts for the conditioning portion of the class. Here was last nights.

40 Seconds on 30 Seconds off X 2 rounds of AMRAP
2 X 10 LB Plate Pinch Full Raises
Ring Rows
Ground and Pound on the dummy
20" Box Jumps
Plank with feet on a swiss ball
25 LB Plate OH Lunges forward and backward

I think the average was right around 80 reps per round. It wasn't overly difficult but I think it hit the main parts we were looking for. Wednesday night is FGmostly B.

Arien Malec
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
15 June Friday sometime late in the evening...

http://i47.tinypic.com/fbdyk3.jpg

That is the goofy lift I was talking about from last Sunday.

That is 10 kinds of awesome. 20, even.

Derek Simonds
06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
19 June 2012 Tuesday 13th Wedding Anniversary!!!

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 105 X 5 X 3
P/U 6 X 4

BS up to 155 X 5, 175 X 3, 195 X 1

20 June 2012 Wednesday

Super short on time and a little tired from last evening. OLAD!!!

DL up to 275 X 5 DO, 305 X 1 Mixed Grip

Feels really nice to at least be back in the 200'ish squat and 300'ish DL range again. Lots of meetings first thing this morning and I am hoping to catch the lunch advanced class. Hopefully.

Derek Simonds
06-21-2012, 11:35 AM
21 June 2012 Thursday AM

Foam Roll
D W/U

FS up to 155 X 5, 175 X 3, 200 X 1
DB Incline up to 75 X 3 X 3
Chin Up 3, 10,6,6,6

Banded GM's 15 X 2 really stretched out. After the first set I realized I almost choked myself out with the band around my neck. The second set I held the bands away from the side of my neck better. Much Better
DB Flyes 30 LB's X 15 X 2
DB Concentration Curlz 30 LB's X 10 X 2

I didn't have a spot this morning. I think I could have gone for 5 on the first and maybe the second set but no spot no going for it. Still super pleased with how strong I am getting in my upper body.

Derek Simonds
06-21-2012, 11:46 AM
21 June 2012 Thursday PM

BJJ No Gi: Great class today and it is official Prof Gutty is now teaching at the downtown location full time. I like his style a ton and it is nice to be able to fully converse in English. I am going to miss Prof Simpson a ton he is moving to MN to teach at a school in Minneapolis. He is a great instructor and I look forward to training with him the next time I am in the twin cities.

Today we worked a great takedown with the underhook and an inside foot trip, passing open guard / butterfly guard and some key details on different parts of my game. I grappled 3 4 minute rounds and had to get back to work.

Good stuff man, good stuff.

Yael Grauer
06-22-2012, 05:05 AM
Which school in MN? I'm just curious, because the head instructor at the GB gym here in Minneapolis (St. Louis Park actually) moved to Florida and I guess people are still trying to figure out who will be teaching...or they were, last i checked.

Derek Simonds
06-22-2012, 09:13 AM
I just text Simpson and he said that it is GB Minneapolis.

Derek Simonds
06-22-2012, 10:30 AM
22 June 2012 Friday AM

Really burning the candle at both ends right now. Friends are in from out of town. I am still working out at 6:00 AM but staying up way late and drinking with them since they are on vacation... and to top it off work is insane. Yeah me.

D W/U
Foam Roll
B W/U

Power Snatch up to 100 X 3, 95 X 7 on the minute
Push Ups unto box X 5 X 4
Box Jumps up to 35" X 5

Nice and quick and I was out of there to work.

Allen Yeh
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
To combat this, I tried to do what I always did when life got stressful – I trained.

Normal types might scoff at the notion of hitting the gym with so much shit going on, but they aren't seeing the big picture – or at least my big picture. I don't punish myself with drop-sets and high-rep squats to build muscle. I do it to kill my demons.

We all have demons inside of us. Some have more than others, and some guys can deal with them better than the next. That 40-something stressed-out businessman who suddenly snaps and bludgeons the Walmart greeter with a plunger is an example of someone who can't handle his demons. I'm not saying I'm always inches away from committing manslaughter, but I can be a real dick when I let stress get the better of me.

So I smash my demons. I crush them under PR's. And if I'm too fucked up to train heavy, I torch them with extended sets, rip them apart with rest pauses and drop sets, and then chase them away with whatever fucked up finishing exercise I can think of. The demons always come back, mind you, but as long as I have a key to my gym I can stay one step ahead.

From the latest Dave Tate article on T-mag

Arien Malec
06-29-2012, 10:02 PM
19 June 2012 Tuesday 13th Wedding Anniversary

Missed this -- congrats!

Derek Simonds
07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
I am alive. Just been a crazy 11 days. Lots of fun. More work than I thought was possible and a couple of good training sessions. I will get back to a regular schedule here this week. I already have trained 3 times and I will get them added into my log.

Samuel Hughes
09-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Hey buddy!

Thought I'd share this with you. Working with a super group of PTs and one of them invited me to do a video on his blog and facebook. Hope training and family are as awesome as ever!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=730911423591908&set=vb.611062908910094&type=2&theater

Derek Simonds
09-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Nice work Emile! Thanks for thinking of me. I liked the extension at the top of the last sit out. Good stuff and you are looking pretty darn fit!