PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Leo Soubbotine
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I got a rip a size of a nickel on my left palm from that kip practice (burst the blood blister yesterday :D ). Same kip can be done on the rings - much more difficult than bar and not nearly as graceful yet doable (since regular bar is out till monday at least til rip heals).

I was just thinking of some sprints. That's definately in.

5 rounds for time:
100 m sprint.
5L+5R KB front squat
5L+5R KB c&j
5L+5R KB swing
1 rope climb (yeah I'm thinking of bringing the rope :D) or 5 pullups.

Should be plenty of fun.
Are you coming by yourself or with the whole Derek Crew?

Derek Simonds
12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Saturday December 9

Snatch up to 125 missed 135 4 times
C&J up to 165 missed 171 2 times

No FS or Metcon had to go to Flag Football with JR where he scored his first touchdown on a passing play and had another called back for stepping out of bounds

Crossfit in the Park with Leo and Monique from www.crossfitevolution.com at 1:00 today.

5 rounds for time
15 36 LB KB Swings adults, 11 LB KB for JR
5 Burpees
100 - 200 Meter sprint (Leo wrote 100 but I am telling you it was at least 200)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnO_uVYRYo

Derek Simonds
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Sunday December 9

Offshore Fishing Fun! What a day we had. Put a total of around 200 LB's of fish in the boat. Fresh fish for dinner every night for the rest of the week. Yeah.

Me and a nice 10 LB Scamp Grouper. Absolutely delicious.

http://i6.tinypic.com/6ssv8d4.jpg

My brother in law Mike and what we lovingly call a reef donkey. Hardest fighting fish pound for pound in the ocean.

http://i3.tinypic.com/8avf2fc.jpg

One of the reasons I love offshore fishing so much is the variety of things you see. Here is a small Sun Fish. These fish have pretty much not evovled much in the last couple of million years. This one was just floating along sunning himself.

http://i1.tinypic.com/85au8ft.jpg

How bout a little storm whipping up on you while you are 45 miles out. No big deal, but it is a little freaky to see a waterspout drop out right overhead.

http://i19.tinypic.com/8fm6b5t.jpg

Continued below.....

Derek Simonds
12-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Sunday Continued...

And lastly when we were cleaning the fish the boys were doing what boys do so well getting dirty. In this picture they are trying to find the fish's heart. They had already opened the stomach to figure out what it had been eating prior to us catching it. My brother in law is a vet so he is giving them guidance while they are exploring the carcass.

http://i19.tinypic.com/7xxglcl.jpg

An exhausting but extremely good day. We got up at 4:30 after very little sleep fished until 2:30 made it home, cleaned the gear, I got cleaned up and went to the airport for my trip to Kiawah. Finally got into bed around 1:30 that night.

Like I said really good day.

Derek Simonds
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Monday December 10

Man I played the hardest golf course ever. It was the Ocean course at Kiawah Island. Not only was it hard it was beautiful. I guess the course was rated the hardest in America by some golf magazine. Now I am not a good golfer by any stretch but usually I can keep from embarrassing myself, not here. I lost 12 balls in the course of the round. It was gnarly.

http://i10.tinypic.com/6ouxa87.jpg

Derek Simonds
12-12-2007, 02:31 AM
Tuesday December 11 PM

DROM

Air Squats
BS 45 X 8, 135 X 3, 185 X 3, 198.5 X 3 X 5 (PR)
SN DL 135 X 3, 148.5 X 2, 155 X 1
PP 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 95 X 3, 115 X 3 X 5
R P/U 8, 7, 6
Windmills 8 KG L, 16 KG R 8 per side 2 sets

Left shoulder still not wanting to participate. This workout was done at night after traveling and working all day. The squats were heavy but as long as I focused I didn't struggle at all. If I let my brain wander (which I have a tendency to do) it became harder.

Allen Yeh
12-12-2007, 04:17 AM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you going to do?

Ask my wife for a new present! heh

Derek Simonds
12-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Wednesday December 12

DROM

FS 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 166 X 3 X 5
CL Pull 135 X 3, 155 X 3, 176 X 3, 185 X 2, 198.5 X 1
BNK Jerk 45 X 3, 95 X 2, 115 X 1, 135 X 1, 155 X 1, 165 X 1
2 Pos Snatch 61 X 2, 81 X 2

No metcon BJJ tonight

This was the second time I followed a night workout with a morning workout. I don't really like it. This is also only the second time I have missed a day of the CA WOD since its inception.

I wanted to get some snatch practice in so I did the 2 POS SN from Tuesday after the rack jerks. That was a mistake. I should have done the SN's first. I can see why you don't snatch after jerking. My shoulders were spent.

Derek Simonds
12-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Ask my wife for a new present! heh

Have you thought about the Adidas? I still need to post a picture of my Christmas present.

Leo Soubbotine
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Cool pics!
I pretty much spent Jan 1st 2005 in the ocean - was good times!
Derek Jr got skills!

Derek Simonds
12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Leo any time you want to go fishing let me know. I am always up for a trip.

Derek Simonds
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Thursday December 13

Private BJJ AM

I had requested some attack chains from the guard. I really hate getting into the guard then not being able to string 2 or 4 attacks together. Here is what we worked.

Two handed opposite wrist break from gi to overhead to swim through with arm and grab opposite lapel. This effectively locks their arm to you and they can't pull away. Once secure adjust grip to make sure its tight and you have taken the slack out of the collar. Transition by creating space by pushing on their near side hip and shrimping your hips out same side as the leg you have posted. This allows you to pull them down farther and get into the position to go for a lapel choke. To choke you place your forearm on their throat and lock it to your body. Pull up with hand on lapel and choke. If no tap immediately stretch your body ouut a little more so that their elbow is just barely past your side place your foot high on their back if needed and squeeze down with your knee for the elbow lock. You can stay super tight through this entire sequence and it is super painful.

My insanely brilliant instructor came up with a gogoplata key lock which is sick and works great from the elbow lock if it fails. When you miss that it is usually because people push their arm down your belly to escape when they do that you shrimp out a little more and bring your top leg over the arm and lock your shin under their throat. Once you have them secure slide your arm down their arm to their elbow grab your palm with your other hand and apply pressure up for the gogoplata keylock. This move is so sick it is stupid! I have a good degree of flexibility and when I got the hips down I could snap into this consistently. We also transitioned from this into a sweep by pulling them over the top and sweeping by lifting their leg with your leg and throwing them over. When they land it is in perfect position to go directly into a butt grab elbow lock. Wow that is a lot there. But wait there's more.

From the fat man (favorite position) we worked a knuckle choke where you use the knuckle grab of the lapel, open your fist and hold with thumb and forefinger pass your arm over their throat and drive down towards the mat. At the same time kick your arm up over their head and lean into your own arm to apply the choke. This one is really tight. If you can't get it sit our into the butt grab elbow lock. Two really smooth moves from the fat man.

drilled for a few minutes on the key lock from cross and called it a day.

One of the best privates ever!

Allen Yeh
12-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Have you thought about the Adidas? I still need to post a picture of my Christmas present.

No, I'm just going to wait until they come back into stock. I've lifted this long without them so it's not like I know what I'm missing right?

What'd you get?

Derek Simonds
12-14-2007, 11:32 AM
A wicked set (2 of each weight) of rubber covered Troy DB's from 40 LB's all the way to 100 LB's, missing 55 and 60. It also came with a cybex rack that holds all the DB's. I bought it used off Craigslist for dirt cheap. I thought I had snapped a picture with my phone but I didn't.

Derek Simonds
12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Friday December 14

OHS 45 X 5, 65 X 3, 81 X 2, 91 X 1, 100, 110, 120, 130, 135 (F) 105 X 2 X 2

HHC + HPC 95, 105, 110, 115, 120

Chins 10, 8, 9

S/U's 25 X 4

Lot's of BJJ tonight so I am skipping the metcon portion of the WOD. I left my laptop sitting in my garage this morning so I am much later in posting then normal. Kind of limits your ability to get work done when you have no laptop. (OOOOF)

Derek Simonds
12-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Friday December 14 PM

BJJ

We worked on knee on the belly. From knee on the belly we worked on control, chokes and armbar when they try to block knee on belly.

I rolled with a guy that ways 218 for 8 minutes in open gym and I was able to pull off 4 different sweeps. I never got to a sub but I felt a lot better about my movements. I also rolled 2 times with my instructor. He wasn't teaching the class tonight so lucky me got to roll with him when he hadn't even done anything and was as fresh as a daisy. He worked me through a lot of different positions. His open guard is so strong it is silly. I was able to block the sweep I normally fall for. I did get to 100 kilos twice, the first time I had my arm outside his arm and he was able to slip out. The second time I got it correctly and was able to work the position for a while.

I struggle with how hard to push. Is BJJ my sport or is O / Lifting my sport? I am more advanced at BJJ but I tend to go easier with BJJ so that I don't expend all of my energy for the next day. Brian wanted to keep rolling last night but I begged off because I was at that point where I could have kept going but I new the metabolic cost would have really hurt me for Saturday morning's lifts.

Food for thought.

Derek Simonds
12-15-2007, 05:02 AM
What'd you get?

Here is a picture

http://i17.tinypic.com/8fb3b41.jpg

I have no idea what I am going to do with all that weight. I can't even lift the bigs one other than some 1 handed DL or goblet squats.

Derek Simonds
12-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Saturday December 15

DROM
B W/U

SN 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120
C&J 95 X 2, 105 X 2, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 160 (F)
BS 135 X 4, 185 X 2, 190, 195, 207

Got to go to Flag Football ab work later. The fail on the C&J was mental, I took too many breathes at the top and didn't really make any move under the bar. On the reps today I made sure that I got in at least 10 quality reps for each exercise.

Derek Simonds
12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Monday December 17

Row W/U
DROM

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 155 X 3 X 5
C Pull 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 155 X 3, 185 X 2
PP 45 X 7, 65 X 5, 95 X 3, 105 X 3 X 5
P/U's 6, 6, 6
TGU's 45 LB DB 6R 4L, X 3

Left shoulder still hurting on the TGU S/U's. Everything felt in place today just a little more tired then average.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Monday December 17

BJJ

Worked guillotine, guillotine defense, guillotine defense to takedown and guillotine defense to takedown to kimura.

Lot's of fun. For whatever reason I have the hardest time with the angle of my arms on the kimura and keylock. If I get it locked in no problem but the transition leaves a lot to be desired.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Tuesday December 18

Lot's of warmup's

DROM
B W/U 3 times all the way through.

Tall clean + clean 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 101 x 5 sets

3 rounds for time of:
500 m row
10R, 10 L KB power clean + push jerk 36 LB's

12:31 It is colder than normal in the garage and I wasn't ready for the effect of the cold air on my lungs. I rowed a 1:39 with Leo's 500 technique and paid the cost metabolically. Other than that great workout.

Allen Yeh
12-18-2007, 06:47 AM
12:31 It is colder than normal in the garage and I wasn't ready for the effect of the cold air on my lungs. I rowed a 1:39 with Leo's 500 technique and paid the cost metabolically. Other than that great workout.

What technique is that?

Derek Simonds
12-18-2007, 09:09 AM
It's a lot shorter more violent stroke. You never really let the wheel get any slack and you are pulling much more quickly. I mean it is really aggresive. I think at one point I caught a glimpse of 34 strokes per minute versus my average on a regular 1:52 pace of around 25 strokes per minute.

I really think I can hit a 1:32 or sub with that technique.

Allen Yeh
12-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Hm, I seriously can't remember how I was rowing when I rowed that PR of 1:31 last year. I do remember I felt like absolute death by the time I finished though.

Some day soon when I'm feeling a bit masochistic I'll see what I can row and how I did it.

Garrett Smith
12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I did a 1:38 or something the second time I ever tried a PR 500 on my dad's C2. I rolled around on the floor with burning biceps for about ten minutes after I was done.

I haven't done one since--which is a shame, as I think I'm naturally gifted at erg-ing. Maybe I'll try one this weekend when I go to my parents' house for the weekend walks.

Leo Soubbotine
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
My first time was 1:37 at DS 1. And Misha (my communist buddy) did 1:39.

Since then I dropped to 1:25.0 and worked up 1:14 pace for a few strokes (that was pretty hard).

Derek - how's your availability next Friday looking?

Danny Camargo definately can't make it Monday 24th, so I was debating between Mon and Friday, 28th. 10-11 am probably whichever day we go with.

Snatch - work up to max
C&J - work up to max

WOD - whatever it might be.

Ppl can participate in one, both or none, have fun, watch, cheer etc.
Will come up with a definite plan by the end of tomorrow/thurs morning.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2007, 08:44 AM
My buddy from MI is flying in at 1:15 on Friday the 28th. Even if it is earlier I will still be there and just pick him up afterwards.

I am officially on vacation starting at 3:00 PM on Friday the 22nd so my availability over the next 10 days is very high.

I am looking forward to whatever you put together.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I did a 1:38 or something the second time I ever tried a PR 500 on my dad's C2. I rolled around on the floor with burning biceps for about ten minutes after I was done.

I haven't done one since--which is a shame, as I think I'm naturally gifted at erg-ing. Maybe I'll try one this weekend when I go to my parents' house for the weekend walks.

Maybe we should have a video row comp sometime over the Christmas break. That would be a riot. All of us putting everything we had into a 500 M than rolling off the C2 and writhing on the floor in agony.

What say ye Allen, Leo and Dr. G. A little video competition?

I will be with Leo one day so it will be easy for us to get video.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
December 19 Wednesday

Back squat 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 172.50 x 3 x 3
Snatch shrug 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 x 3 x 3
Rack jerk 65 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 x 1 x 5 (lighter than RX'ed but worked form)
Chin-ups 3 x 7

I had way to much fun in the form of Don Julio yesterday so my 5:30 AM workout felt a little less than fabulous. Thank God Don Julio is Paleo!

For some reason when I do chins it causes a balled up muscle in between my scap and spine. It is highly irritating and I have been doing a ton of self myofascial release today to try and get rid of it.

Allen Yeh
12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe we should have a video row comp sometime over the Christmas break. That would be a riot. All of us putting everything we had into a 500 M than rolling off the C2 and writhing on the floor in agony.

What say ye Allen, Leo and Dr. G. A little video competition?

I will be with Leo one day so it will be easy for us to get video.

Perhaps I can get a video out post Christmas break. I'm not thinking I'd do very well as I haven't been really rowing at all the last few months. I think I'll be hard pressed to make 1:35! I'm off from the 24th to the 1st so my gym access is limited. I'll be making a stop for some Oly at LBH next week and maybe throwing in a bodyweight metcon or 3 in next week.

Allen Yeh
12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
For some reason when I do chins it causes a balled up muscle in between my scap and spine. It is highly irritating and I have been doing a ton of self myofascial release today to try and get rid of it.

Same here. Not sure of the "why it happens."

Leo Soubbotine
12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Friday 28th,
10 am - start the warmup, rowing for those who won't do Oly lifting.

11 am - going to start lifting. Danny Camargo's going to be there plus a few of his Team Florida Altamonte lifters.

Events: 500 m row, max sn and c&j plus WOD. Participate in all, one, two or none. Free for all. No hard structure. Just good fun spiced up with some hard work.

Shooting for sub 1:25 row. Hopefully <1:20 yet doubt it due to the lifting right prior yet who knows.

Garrett Smith
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I'd totally film my 500, I know I can do better than the last time due to all the posterior chain work in these CA WODs...

Leo, you should submit some of those times to the C2 boards...those are kick butt!!!

As for the balled up muscle, are you talking at the top/inside of the scapula, or more in the rhomboid area? It's likely stress making the area tight, and the max & near-max chins putting it over the edge...

Derek Simonds
12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Definitely middle trapezious / rhomboid area and I think that based on the way it feels it is rhomboid related.

Leo Soubbotine
12-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh man. I'm in top 15 in my age/weight group in 2008 season huh?

Neato. Going to try 500 right now actually - legs are complete trash, yet I'm ready to row a bit. Shooting for 1:22 something.

Update; Tried - was holding a steady 1:22-23 yet couldn't finish about 150 meters ( could but would finish in like 1:26).
Legs are jelly from wallball/thruster and squat clean combo over the last 3 days.
Man, "Badger" is an intense workout.

Yuen Sohn
12-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks Derek! I'd done pretty poorly at the previous 2 meets there, so it was nice to finally exorcize my snatch demons.

I highly recommend entering those upcoming competitions. My teammates (those rotten bastards) totally peer-pressured me into doing my first one, but it turned out to be such a great experience in retrospect.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Thursday December 21

BJJ Private with Jiu-Jitsu Doctor

What an intense training session. I wanted to really work on my gi choke from the guard. I pull a lot of sweeps from starting with the choke but have yet to use it effectively as a submission.

Really worked on punching the lapel to get the hand deep, rotating the blade into the throat and making sure that there is no slack in the collar. I also learned how to shrimp the hips out slightly to create additional pressure on the choke.

From the Gi choke if their arm is inside your hips lift your leg up their back to block the arm and slip bottom hand out of the choke and go with the surprise and often fight ending wrist lock. When they defend the wrist lock shove their hand back through and voila triangle. Cool new technique on the triangle with a gable grip on the back of your knees to create more pressure.

We did a real quick drill that was a submission flow deal. I have to learn that inside and out. I am going to focus on that next week.

We did an armbar from the gi choke somehow and I forgot the details. It was so easy to get.

Rolled with Brian for 17 minutes straight to finish the session. It is amazing to train with someone so good that they can make mistakes on purpose to let you work your positions but still dominate you completely. The first 7 minutes Brian let me work all kinds of attacks and he helped by putting himself in positions that I could exploit. Then the last 10 minutes he was pressuring me pretty hard and I was constantly fighting off subs and sweeps.

Great Class!

Derek Simonds
12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Friday December 21

Snatch balance 45 X 2, 65 X 2, 85 X 2, 95 x 2 x 3
Muscle snatch + snatch + hang snatch med-heavy 61, 81 X 2, 91 X 2
Pull-ups 4, 4, 4

Lots of mobility work mostly around the shoulder area.

Getting a massage tonight and I am ready for tomorrow.

Christmas party at work is starting in a couple of minutes.

Derek Simonds
12-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Saturday December 22 2007

Not so good this morning.

Bounced 133 off my head during a snatch

Missed 185 epically c&j

Trying not to be to emotionally attached to the crappy lifting. Not really sure what happened 121 felt clean and green I have hit 132 4 weeks ago. I am definitely stronger, just a bad morning I guess.

I will post a video of the 121 and a miss at 133.

Derek Simonds
12-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Monday December 24

To truly pay homage to this programming I feel like I need to learn the Bulgarian National Anthem. For some reason I doubt it is sung to the same words as O' Canada.

Snatch 61 X 2, 81 X 3, 91, 101, 112x 1 x 4
Clean & Jerk 95 X 2 X 2, 135 X 2, 150 x 1 x 4
Front Squat 135 X 2, 155 X 2, 170 x 2 x 3
Overhead DB sit-ups 40 total 25 LB DB per Hand

Did the OH S/U's supersetted with the FS, that provided some really intense ab activation.

Twasn't easy twasn't hard so I guess it was just right. I lost count of the sets on the OH S/U's I think I did 50. Ended up with the weights on my shoulders pointing up.

For those celebrating, Merry Christmas Eve.

Got done lifting and the wife and went golfing with the neighbors. Didn't play exceptionally well but it sure was fun to be out with the wife.

http://i18.tinypic.com/89qsr43.jpg

Derek Simonds
12-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Tuesday December 25 Merry Christmas!

Muscle Snatch + OHS + snatch balance 61 X 4, 81 X 4 sets
Snatch 95 x 1 x 5
Clean & Jerk 125 x 1 x 5

Guess who was up at 4:45 this morning, uhm my son. I made him go back to sleep as long as possible. I finally said if you are up you are working out. So we made a couple of Christmas lifting videos.

SR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Y46mBNhNk

JR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrGAiVZKRA

2 rounds for time of:
20 1-arm KB swings 28% BW 53 LB's
15 pull-ups
10 box jumps med height

No watch but less than 2 songs.

Kevin Perry
12-25-2007, 09:11 AM
You have an Olympic Lifter in the making there Derek

Derek Simonds
12-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Tuesday December 25 Dinner

http://i13.tinypic.com/81ow615.jpg

I wanted to post a picture of what Christmas dinner looked like for us. My wife hosted Christmas dinner (notice I didn't say we) and my daughter, mother and grandmother all helped cook up this feast. Here is what is on my plate.

Honey Baked Ham
Smoked Turkey
Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Red Onion
Garlic and Leek Mashed Potatoes
Deviled Eggs with Relish
Rutabaga's
Creamed Corn
Twice Baked Sweet Potato
Squash Casserole
Macaroni and 4 Cheeses

I didn't take pictures of the dessert table. I just didn't have the heart to do that to everyone. My mom brought her German Chocolate Cake out of retirement and it was the star of desert.

I hope everyone else had a great dinner.

Derek Simonds
12-26-2007, 04:35 AM
You have an Olympic Lifter in the making there Derek

He just loves to be out in the garage with me. I only let him lift maybe once a month. We are going to be lifting with Leo at Crossfit Evolution on Friday so he was getting in some practice.

Derek Simonds
12-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Here are some videos from my recent heavier forays in snatching. There is one make and two misses.

I seem to be losing the weight forward on my left arm.

There are several things I see I need to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldiKQLAH5c

Feel free to chip in.

Yuen Sohn
12-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Trying not to be to emotionally attached to the crappy lifting. Not really sure what happened 121 felt clean and green I have hit 132 4 weeks ago. I am definitely stronger, just a bad morning I guess.

I totally get emotionally attached to crappy lifting as well (I drop 'f-bombs' more than anyone else I lift with, it seems). I wouldn't worry about the recent misses...there are so many factors in executing a max lift that you kind of have to expect regressions from time to time. I wouldn't sweat it.

Looks like the bar is too far in front for your 2nd pull and you're bending your arms early. In snatching, the barbell should come really close to or actually graze your hips on the way up. Also, extend w/your lower body more aggressively, and you'll be good for a lot more!

btw, if your son keeps at it, he'll be outlifting us all in a few years! One of the strongest and most efficient lifters in my area is just 15 years old.

Derek Simonds
12-27-2007, 03:45 AM
btw, if your son keeps at it, he'll be outlifting us all in a few years! One of the strongest and most efficient lifters in my area is just 15 years old.

I have already accepted that fact. One of my favorite quotes came from someone on here.

"Just remember somewhere there is a young Chinese girl warming up with your max weight"

For me that is obviously true already. I am trying to get as much of a head start on Jr as I can.

Thanks for the pointers. I am going to try that in practice this morning. I slowed my first pull significantly after attending Greg's seminar. I will play with being more aggressive there as well. I just watched the video several times again and I might have left an F bomb in there at the end.

Yuen Sohn
12-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Hmmm, I had not noticed anything too out-of-ordinary with the first pull, speedwise. I just thought you could use more aggression/extension when the barbell gets above knee-level.

Derek Simonds
12-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Wednesday December 26

BJJ Private with Brian

Started with 20 minutes of grappling to warm up. Brian has decided that he wants to set a firm pathway for me to begin my progression as a grappler. Each session he wants to grapple and determine how I am progressing. Our gameplan is as follows. My psotional grappling is going real well I just need to be more aggressive going for submissions.

Each day I am going to come in with a plan. For each match I roll with a blue or higher work sweep pause, pass control, attack. For each match I roll with a white work attack, attack, attack, attack. My goal is to string together at least 3 attacks from the same position every attempt.

I have a pretty broad knowledge of attacks I just fail to use them in a consistent aggressive manner.

Derek Simonds
12-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Thursday December 27

Yoon I misunderstood on the first pull. I really tried to graze my hips with the bar on the way up this morning. Interestingly I kept nailing me wedding tackle. I am going to have to work on that muscle memory.

I did a lot of real slow pulls to etch it in my brain. I added a small amount of weight and had at it. All in all it felt good. I could tell the weight was further back based on the way I was landing.

Practice

Lots of warmup movements with stick

Snatch worked up to 61 x 1 X 10 focusing on keeping the bar next to my body at all times.

Clean and Jerk worked up to 95 X 1 X 6

Greg Everett
12-27-2007, 07:14 PM
OK, RE video:

The most pressing issue on that snatch is that your arms are way too eager to get involved. Pausing the video will show that your elbows are bent almost 90* before you even finish extending your legs and hips. This is really killing your potential numbers. Find a way to get yourself into a fully extended position with a slight back lean of the torso with the arms fully extended still. Personally, I think of it as stretching my shoulders away from the bar - sort of stretching my arms like an elastic band so when I hit the peak of that second pull, that bar is spring-loaded. THEN, engage the arm bend to pull you under.

Start position is pretty good. Because you're so tall and have such long legs, you might want to experiment with widening your foot placement slightly. This will help get your back into a better position at the start. Don't overdo it, though, because it will begin limiting how much power you can get out of your legs.

The transition from the 2nd to 3rd pull (that is, the change of direction from up to down) could be faster. It's not bad, but we want that as fast as possible. Think of rebounding out of the top - this kind of jives with the stretching analogy above.

I'd like to see a more solid overhead position also. When you receive the bar, your elbows are a little soft. Really focus on driving against that bar and not giving up any slack. Part of this is a product of your positioning.
I'd like to see you get your shoulder blades back farther instead of just up - this will force a slight forward lean of the torso and will put the bar farther back relative to your head (but the same position relative to your feet). This should blade positioning is critical for overhead stability - blades back first, then up. Practice this with every single rep, and all auxillary lifts like snatch balances, overhead squats, etc.

Derek Simonds
12-28-2007, 04:22 AM
1) I understand on the arms and will focus on it with every movement. The slight back lean of the torso will help me mentally.

2) I have played with different start positions for my feet and the one I am in seems to leave the most skin on my shins. That was how I chose it anyways. I will widen them slightly to see if I can get a little better hips.

3) I have been focusing on the transition to under the bar. I know that it is not as fast as it could be.

4) I was talking about this with my son yesterday and he couldn't understand why I was trying to get the bar farther back and I couldn't explain the scapular involvement. I will focus on this also.

Thanks Greg.

Leo Soubbotine
12-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Great job Derek and Derek Jr! Not going to sneak out the info on PR's before the man himself does so!

Derek Simonds
12-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks Leo.

We will need any of those pictures that you were able to snap. I know I got a couple of Jr that were good.

We lifted with Leo and gang from Crossfit Evolution. Team Altamonte Weightlifting was also in the house. Those are some really impressive young athletes.

My goals for this last quarter were to hit 3/4 BW Snatch and BW C&J. I really tried to implement what Greg had told me above.

So without further ado's here they are.

Snatch hit 137 LB's (pr) and it felt good so threw on 142 LB's hit it for another new PR.

C&J worked all the way up to 80 KG's and it was clean managed to do 85 KG's or 187 LB's for my goal and a new PR. I tried 90 KG's and the clean was super good just couldn't get the jerk. My drive really lacked the oompf needed to get it overhead.

Leo got some major PR's as well today.

We finished out with a row off. Leo pulled a 1:24.9 (I think) 500M I got the second best time at 1:27.9 which was only good by .1 of a second. There were some serious rowers today.

Derek Jr had some PR's as well

Snatch 12.50 KG's
C&J 15 KG's

The kids from Team Altamonte were really cheering him on. It was a lot of fun as usual.

Unfortunately I left the video camera at home and got no videos. Hopefully some of the pictures will turn out and we will get them posted quickly as possible.

Major good day.

Leo Soubbotine
12-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I missed snatch pr, got 110 kg c&j for a pr and then rowed 1:24.2 (which sucked).

Good day! Going through pics right now.

Leo Soubbotine
12-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Pics are up in Gallery - Olympic WL Open house.

Allen Yeh
12-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Holy crap! Nice PR's!!!!!

Derek Simonds
12-30-2007, 01:29 PM
From Leo's gallery http://www.crossfitevolution.com/Photogallery/Openhouse/index.htm

Here is me with my new Snatch form, notice my skills at levitating.

http://i14.tinypic.com/71ob4n5.jpg

Here is Jr with a series of pictures from his PR Snatch

http://i4.tinypic.com/6tyqfk2.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/6lwbhwm.jpg

Man you should have heard the kids cheering for Derek as he was standing up. They were going nuts. Coach Danny was telling him control it stand up. He had to walk under it a little out of the squat.

http://i8.tinypic.com/8ada7ap.jpg

Lots of fun.

Derek Simonds
12-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Saturday December 29th

A little more offshore fishing today. We really hammered the fish. We caught 10 Red Snapper between the 5 adults, 1 Cobia weighing in at 25 LB's, a bunch of Sea Bass, 1 Trigger, 1 Vermillion Snapper and 1 Lane Snapper.

We will be eating Grilled Snapper for our Surf and Turf on New Year's Eve.

Here is a picture of the ride in.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6oacsxv.jpg

Here are the kids, Mike and a parcel of Snapper

http://i15.tinypic.com/89v98j8.jpg

Here is Mike with the Cobia

http://i18.tinypic.com/6l9qams.jpg

Another great day on the water. Mike and I are going to vacuum bag the remaining fish to keep us eating good for the next couple of weeks.

Derek Simonds
12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Sunday December 30

Did Friday's WOD today. I am going to take the week completely off starting Thursday.

Tall Clean + hang clean + push jerk up to 115 LB's x 3 sets
Snatch up to 95 LB's x 1 x 5
Clean & Jerk up to 115 LB's x 1 x 5

Nice and fast. I do have one little issue. My freaking thumb is swollen and killing me. I was grappling on Saturday and it got twisted way out of joint by my buddy trying to escape a collar choke. So lets just say that the hook grip was slightly uncomfortable.

Derek Simonds
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Monday December 31st New Years Eve!

Well we decided to go over to Crossfit Evolution for one final workout of the year. My friend that is in town has been doing Crossfit for about a year but has never worked out at an affiliate. I dialed up Leo and he said he was ready for us. I also brought another buddy who doesn't really workout along for the ride.

Leo chose Helen for our WOD and after a great warmup we really hit it. I have never done Helen as RX'ed because of the P/U's. I have done it several times with jumping P/U's but never the real deal. I decided that I would go for it today with a strategy of doing 2 to 4 p/u's at a time and alternating with chins.

Overall this strategy worked well for me.

Helen is 3 Rounds for time
400 M Run
21 55 LB DB Swings
12 P/U's

Here we go starting out

http://i14.tinypic.com/81fruiv.jpg

Big Steve heading out for the run and Jr doing his P/U's on the rings

http://i11.tinypic.com/8fug0t2.jpg

I have never seen Jr smoked from a WOD. This was the first. The only thing he changed was the weight on the DB he did 12 LB's

http://i1.tinypic.com/6pzm3ix.jpg

Man after my last sprint I had to pee something fierce. It was actually painful. So instead of peeing myself I took a 30 second bathroom break and was right back at it. Here Steve and I are racing to the finish. You can see I just got done and my DB is flying backwards.

http://i16.tinypic.com/6ug44us.jpg

Derek Simonds
01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Monday December 31st New Years Eve Continued!

Here I am giving our lovely photographer a sweaty thank you hug.

http://i15.tinypic.com/80kh4t5.jpg

Jr Steve and I recuperating

http://i7.tinypic.com/87m0fw9.jpg

And finally our times. A complete PR for me at 12:26 as it was the first time ever as RX'ed and congratulations to Leo who set the bar with a stellar 8:49

http://i18.tinypic.com/7yd48hz.jpg

I was really happy with the times even with a bathroom break in the middle.

We weren't finished. We went to Sonny's had a great lunch and started getting ready for the evening. Weeell somewhere about 8:00 we decided we really wanted to figure out how much we could press. I hit a new PR in the press at 125 LB's. Pretty jacked about that let me tell you. It was slow but it went up.

So to recap a PR in Helen at 12:26 and a PR in the press at 125 LB's. Pretty solid way to end the year.

Derek Simonds
01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Tuesday January 1st Happy New Year!

Somehow I combined the WOD's for the last two days to come up with this

Snatch 70% x 1 x 4 up to 105 LB's
Clean & Jerk 70% x 1 x 4 up to 135 LB's
Front Squat 70% x 2 x 4 up to 155 LB's

I really need my phone when I am working out or else I end doing the wrong stuff.

Derek Simonds
01-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Here is our families traditional New Years Day Dinner.

http://i10.tinypic.com/82aw8ko.jpg

The Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens signify good luck in regards to money for the coming year. I hope everyone else had as great of a holiday season of meals as we did.

Back to calorie restriction and pure paleo tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
01-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Back to calorie restriction and pure paleo tomorrow.

Tell me about it. I'm sooooo ready, actually I ate better New Years day than I have for a week! So I guess my first day back was yesterday.

Nice PR's in your log the last week btw! I haven't been online much being in NY. That 500m PR is huge! I can't even imagine shaving off that much time from my old PR! I might try a PR attempt today or maybe I'll schedule a PR attempt on Friday after I get back into the training groove. Since I missed so much of the the Bulgarian cycle of the CA WOD I think I'm going to go back to the last 3 days of the last cycle and try a PR attempt on Friday. Then base all of my numbers off of those numbers.

Why are you taking off a week btw?

Allen Yeh
01-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Oh yeah no videotaping of the 500m for me btw. I was talking about it with my wife when she was the one who reminded me that I can't bring camera/videorecorder on base with me, ADUH. I'd be fine bringing it over to the gym as that base has no restrictions, but where I work it's a no-no. That would have been my day to get inspected too!

"I swear officer I was only bringing the camera in to tape my 500m row attempt at the gym later today."

Derek Simonds
01-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh yeah no videotaping of the 500m for me btw. I was talking about it with my wife when she was the one who reminded me that I can't bring camera/videorecorder on base with me, ADUH. I'd be fine bringing it over to the gym as that base has no restrictions, but where I work it's a no-no. That would have been my day to get inspected too!

"I swear officer I was only bringing the camera in to tape my 500m row attempt at the gym later today."

Yep that is the way it always goes. We didn't end up with video but I have pictures of the results. I had 2nd all the way through the week then some guy came in and beat me by a couple of hundredths. Drat!

I am taking the week off because I will be at a management retreat in the keys and I am pretty banged up from grappling. I plan on stretching and some plyometrics stuff but nothing else.

Derek Simonds
01-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Wednesday January 2nd

Snatch up to 115 LB's
C&J same
FS up to 215 LB's NEW PR! Beat my last 100% by 15 LB's. I stopped at 215 as I felt my back begin to round over as I stood up.

My thumb is so sore this morning I couldn't hold the bar for the O/Lifts at all. I tried not using a hook grip but that didn't really help.

Back to work I go!

Derek Simonds
01-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Friday January 4th

Morning in the Keys out the back door of my room. I am trying hard to rest.

http://i4.tinypic.com/81t8gts.jpg

Allen Yeh
01-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Friday January 4th

Morning in the Keys out the back door of my room. I am trying hard to rest.

http://i4.tinypic.com/81t8gts.jpg

You really suck.

Derek Simonds
01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Saturday January 5

So we are winding down are meeting here. Thought I would post a couple of pictures of my sunset

http://i15.tinypic.com/85u9ifa.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/8dx3hxf.jpg

It has been kind of chilly and very windy, but compared to the rest of the country we are doing just fine.

I figured I would do some stretching and a couple of sets of push ups.

Garrett Smith
01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Derek,
Nice job on the PRs and thanks for the props in my training log!

I'll take the missed opportunity at Helen for the OL PRs, even though I love that workout.

Hope you're getting your rest, looks pretty rough out there... :-P

Leo Soubbotine
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey Derek!
Don't relax too much! There's new PR's on the horizon plus Greg's gig is next weekend!

Derek Simonds
01-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Thursday January 10 AM

Ah come on Leo you know me. I have been chomping at the bit to start lifting but I really needed to take the time off. So......

I am back after a nice one week of total rest. My body feels good really recovered but a little tight.

Snatch drill: Power Snatch, Snatch Balance, Snatch 61, 61, 81, 81, 81
Snatch – up to 115 x 1 x 5
Clean & Jerk – up to 145 x 1 x 5

Strength felt great but my timing was way off. I had to do this today as I will be in Auburn AL tomorrow with no ready access to O/Lifting. Looking forward to fun stuff on Saturday.

I am also looking forward to Greg's seminar. Woo Hoo!

Derek Simonds
01-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Thursday January 10 PM

Man I was just cramped up and not feeling good emotionally after traveling all day so I headed down to the hotel gym for some feel good.

Long warm up with dynamic movements and samson stretches

Hammer Bicep Curls 3 X 12 X 20
Decline Sit Ups 3 X 15
Triceps Pushdowns 3 X 12 X 60 LB's

12 minutes on random recumbent bike

I got through and felt a lot better. Just what the doctor ordered.

Derek Simonds
01-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Friday January 11

Long warm up again, lots of dynamic movement

3 rounds of

5 (per arm) 25 LB DB Split Snatch
5 Man Makers with 25 LB DB's
10 OH S/U's with 30 LB's

Derek Simonds
01-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Saturday January 12

Mobility + Samson + Dynamic + B W/U

Snatch 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 91, 100, 110 120 X M X M, 120, 125, 130 X M
C&J 95 X 2 (R&L J), 115 X 2 (R&L J), 135, 155, 165
FS 135, 155, 185, 205, 215 M

Ran out of time had to take son to gym practice and rushed from 165 through FS. Had a rough two days of travel and fighting a cold so nothing felt really right. I wasn't going to workout early but really didn't have any other time. Close on all the numbers but didn't hit where I needed to be.

Leo Soubbotine
01-14-2008, 08:19 AM
You gotta compete Derek! Tons of fun!

Derek Simonds
01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
You gotta compete Derek! Tons of fun!

I didn't notice if you had posted elsewhere and I will check your blog but what were your results?

Derek Simonds
01-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Monday January 14

Mobility + Samson + Dynamic + B W/U + 2 sets of 10 P/U's + 2 sets of 10 Prisoner Squats

Snatch - 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 91 X 2, 100 X 1 x 2, 110 X 1 X 2, 120 X 1 X 2, 130 X M,M,M,M
Clean & Jerk - 95 X 2 (R,L J), 115 X 2 (R,L J), 135 X 2 (R,L J), 155 X 2, 160 X 1 X 2
Front squat - 135 X 5, 155 X 4, 185 X 3 205 x 1

Interesting WOD for me. My timing was much better and everything felt like I was getting back into the groove. I missed 130 4 times on the snatch and each time it was a little closer. I didn't want to wear myself out so I went on over to the C&J.

Leo Soubbotine
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=241639#post241639

sarena kopciel
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Thursday January 10 AM

I am also looking forward to Greg's seminar. Woo Hoo!

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Derek Simonds
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Tuesday January 15

Really going Bulgarian today

AM Dynamic W/U B W/U 20 P/U's 20 POW Squats

SN 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 91 X 2, 95 X 2, 100 X 2, 110 X 2, 120 X 2

PM Dynamic W/U B W/U

C&J 95 X 2, 115 X 2, 135 X 2, 145 X 2, 155 X 1, 160 X 2

It was chilly this AM and my bed was muy comfortable, so I hit snooze twice. This put me behind schedule and I spent a lot longer in my warm up since it was so cold. I ran out of time so I did C&J tonight after I got home. 85% is tough but I keep ending up there for the last three days.

Derek Simonds
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=241639#post241639

That is some great lifting. BTW that was a really cool singlet.

Derek Simonds
01-16-2008, 03:26 AM
January 16 Wednesday AM

10 X B/E, S/U, PU; Dynamic W/U, B W/U

SN 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3, 100 X 3, 110 X 3
C&J 95 X 2, 115 X 2, 125 X 2, 135 X 2, 140 X 3

3 Pressouts on each jerk up to 135. Good workout. This was the first time that everything felt back in place. That will teach me to do absolutely nothing for 9 days in a row.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2008, 03:42 AM
January 16 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals

Brian is on a conditioning tear. We did 20 minutes of W/U with a whole lot of ab work. I can always use the additional ab work.

We worked the sweep I was using when I broke my arm. This was the first time I have done it since that happened. Needless to say I made sure that I got my arm out quickly.

We also worked two gi chokes from the mount. The work I have been doing with Brian on chokes was very apparent. Both of the guys I was working with liked the effectiveness.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2008, 03:46 AM
January 17 Thursday

I am doing this on Thursday so I will have a full day of rest before Greg's seminar. Friday I plan on doing absolutely nothing. Tonight I plan on going to MMA and No-Gi.

2 X 10 B/E, PU, S/U, S
D W/U, B W/U

SN 61 X 4, 66 X 4, 71 X 3
C&J 81 X 4, 91 X 4, 96 X 3 plus 3 Pressouts on each Jerk.

Man I am feeling good. I hit the RX'ed weights two days in a row! A little sarcasm there but the last two days the weights have been coming back into the groove. I really worked on technique, which is what you are supposed to do with ligther weights (duh). The main focus was a slight back lean and long and strong arms.

Derek Simonds
01-18-2008, 09:19 AM
January 17 Thursday PM

MMA

We had some visitors that came to watch some of the fighters tonight so class was a little more amped up then usual. Lots of drills and lots of fun. You know you have had a killer workout when you take a shower dry off put on clean close and they are soaked in sweat before you get home. Based on how I felt when I left I have come up with a hierarchical view of energy expended for my martial arts. The list is lowest to highest.

1) BJJ with GI, even in the most heated matches I don't feel like I am going to gas out. I also don't worry too much about my training the next day.

2) BJJ no GI, ok this gets significantly more intense. Without the gi there is a lot more movement and I really feel like more strength expended. I start to be concerned if I am going to use so much energy that my 5:00 AM lifting session is going to be effected.

3) MMA, this is just flat out ridiculous. It is almost like you are doing a never ending metcon. Perfect example, in BJJ with gi if you are in the bottom position and are defending you are at least catching your breath. In MMA if you are in the bottom position you are not only trying to escape as quick as possible you are working your ass off not to get clocked in the head at the same time. I usually don't do MMA if I am going to lift the next morning.

Just some thoughts running through my head.

Derek Simonds
01-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Saturday January 19

I think I snatched 40 KG about a gazillion times today. Maybe a gazillion and one. I have notes I will add later. Here is a quick video of the last 3 snatches I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RuRwuAA-5w

For those of you who haven't met me I have really long arms and in the beginning of the video I was confused by the bar which didn't have the normal markings. Thanks again to Aimee for her coaching. :D

Derek Simonds
01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Sunday January 20

Wow. That is pretty much all I can say. Wow.

Greg and Aimee really brought it today, working individually with everyone and making sure that all the coaching cues and points we were working on stuck.

Just like yesterday I think I cleaned and jerked about a gazillion times.

Ended up with somewhere around 152 for both. But we did a ton of reps. I cleaned 162 but missed the jerk right before the end of the seminar and I knew I was just getting tired.

After the seminar I had some fresh fish, sweet potatoes and a nice warm brownie. After we went for a quick walk as a family my lovely wife gave me an hour and fifteen minute massage.

Pretty much this day rocked.

sarena kopciel
01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Sunday January 20

Wow. That is pretty much all I can say. Wow.

Greg and Aimee really brought it today, working individually with everyone and making sure that all the coaching cues and points we were working on stuck.

Just like yesterday I think I cleaned and jerked about a gazillion times.

Ended up with somewhere around 152 for both. But we did a ton of reps. I cleaned 162 but missed the jerk right before the end of the seminar and I knew I was just getting tired.

After the seminar I had some fresh fish, sweet potatoes and a nice warm brownie. After we went for a quick walk as a family my lovely wife gave me an hour and fifteen minute massage.

I can attest to this day rocking and you and family are amazing too! My only caveat is the delayed flight departing MCO and I lift tomorrow am with my coach. I am TIRED!

Allen Yeh
01-21-2008, 04:02 AM

Awesome.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Monday January 21 PM

BJJ Fundamentals

Worked on sweep when opponent puts their hands flat on the mat. Once we had that moved to kimura if they resist the sweep. Rolling with Brian before class I learned the proper way to do an ezekiel choke. I had been grabbing the wrong sleeve which makes it very difficult.

BJJ Advanced

Worked all moves from turtle. Worked on a roll to guard which only works well if they are holding your wrist. Worked a post where you lift your butt up in the air then slide opposite side leg under and pull to half or full guard. Worked a serious gi choke where you controlled wrist, grabbed deep with opposite hand in gi moved forward onto their shoulder drove their head to the mat and began to walk around tightening the choke. This one seems to be very effective.

Did two rounds of positional rolling taking turns starting in turtle. I like the post and pull guard method a lot. Rolled two more times. I got chastised after my last roll for not tapping the guy I was rolling with more. The kid couldn't have weighed more than 140 and I kept thinking I was C&J'ing you for 2 hours yesterday. I did use the ezekiel in both rolls and that is definitely going into the side control repertoire.

Before class I weighed in at 187.8 LB's and immediately afterwards 184.1 LB's. I lost 3.7 LB's of sweat in 2:30 hours. WOW. I knew I was losing a lot but had never weighed it. That is somewhere north of 64 OZ's of fluid.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Tuesday January 22

For time:
1000 m row
5 sandbag clean + push press - 50% BW
30 KB swings - 30% BW
750 m row
10 sandbag clean + push press
25 KB swings
500 m row
15 sandbag clean + push press
20 KB swings

Ok that was a Painstorm CA style! All rows were in 1:51 to 1:55 per 500 range. So less than 9 minutes on the rows with 10 minutes for the rest ooooof. The swings were obnoxiously hard today and the freaking sand bag cleans seemed to be a lot harder than last time.

19:13 and glad that it is done.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Tuesday January 22

For time:
1000 m row
5 sandbag clean + push press - 50% BW
30 KB swings - 30% BW
750 m row
10 sandbag clean + push press
25 KB swings
500 m row
15 sandbag clean + push press
20 KB swings

Ok that was a Painstorm CA style! All rows were in 1:51 to 1:55 per 500 range. So less than 9 minutes on the rows with 10 minutes for the rest ooooof. The swings were obnoxiously hard today and the freaking sand bag cleans seemed to be a lot harder than last time.

19:13 and glad that it is done.

could you imagine 2 more rounds of that?? Heh

Derek Simonds
01-23-2008, 03:30 AM
No way. I looked like a drowned rat when I was done.

Derek Simonds
01-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Wednesday January 23 AM

Snatch - 5 x 2 61, 61, 71, 81, 81 - work speed and technique
Front squat - 81 X 3. 05 X 3. 135 X 3, 155 X 3, 185 X 1
Snatch push press - 5 x 3 65, 75, 85, 95, 95
Pull-ups - 3 x 8, 6, 6

All in all this felt pretty darn good. I was definitely sore in my legs. The first couple of snatches were extremely tight. They were however fast and good tech.

Allen Yeh
01-23-2008, 04:08 AM
No way. I looked like a drowned rat when I was done.

Did you buy your sandbag premade? Or did you make it yourself?

Derek Simonds
01-23-2008, 06:10 AM
I have three. I bought two that are premade. Both are stellar with lots of grips. Then I have one that is home made. The home made one is a duffel bag stuffed with towels and scrap material that I throw the 10 LB individual bags into when I need the heaviest weight possible.

Derek Simonds
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Wednesday January 23 PM

BJJ

I was privileged with the opportunity to grapple with my instructor for 30 minutes straight before class started tonight. I was only submitted viciously 3 times. I think that represents a small improvement. :D Actually I learned a lot. I still have to use my strength explosively not statically. I really enjoy grappling with Brian he works me hard, real hard but gives me opportunities to work towards.

Fundamentals, same drills as Monday night. I seemed to have developed some type of swelling on my left knee so I went easy on the takedowns. I worked with a guy on his second night and really patterned the moves with him. Good times.

sarena kopciel
01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I have three. I bought two that are premade. Both are stellar with lots of grips. Then I have one that is home made. The home made one is a duffel bag stuffed with towels and scrap material that I throw the 10 LB individual bags into when I need the heaviest weight possible.

So today I was leaving my building to my car with a huge black lawn and leaf bag filled with dirty laundry to take to my house. Had to walk a block and the bag was heavy. On the other hand I had several other bags too! Well I just snatched the HUGE/HEAVY bag and realized I had done a sand bag snatch!! Creative huh? I guess had I not tried your sandbags the other night I wouldnt have put one and two together!!

BTW, where did you get those really cool sandbags from??

Derek Simonds
01-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Thats classic Serena.

Derek Simonds
01-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Thursday January 24

Well I have to tell you that the flight from ATL to Honolulu is absolutely nutty. If you aren't careful you can eat and drink way too much sitting in first class for 10:30 hours. Here are the views from my hotel room.

http://i27.tinypic.com/f3xdo1.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/2utk9p2.jpg

It's kind of cool having been in the Atlantic Ocean a couple of weeks ago and in the Pacific Ocean last night.

Tonight might be a little difficult with the flight home. I leave HI at 7:00 PM and land at 9:30 AM in ATL the next day. Hopefully I will be able to sleep.

Leo Soubbotine
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Nice!
Derek - this Sunday @ 11 am Wekiva springs in Altamonte: CF in the park.

You got a tournament on April 12th?

Derek Simonds
01-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Nice!
Derek - this Sunday @ 11 am Wekiva springs in Altamonte: CF in the park.

You got a tournament on April 12th?

Yep semi old guys division.

I will see you guys Sunday.

Leo Soubbotine
01-26-2008, 06:09 AM
I thought it was the good looking guys div!

Derek Simonds
01-26-2008, 09:01 AM
I thought it was the good looking guys div!

Well of course that too!

Derek Simonds
01-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Friday January 25

Worked out at the hotel gym. It was very nice in a cardio centric kind of way. Everyone told me oh yeah it is fully equipped you will love it. Not a barbell in the entire place. So changed up the WOD a little.

Lots of mobility work,
P/U's 5, 4, 3
DB HPC + J 25's X 3, 35's X 3, 45's X 3, 50's X 3 X 3 + 5 Shrugs X 3 sets
DB Hammer Curls 25 X 3 X 9
DB Power Shrugs 25's X 3, 35's X 3, 45's X 3, 50's X 3 X 3

In and out in 30 minutes.

Derek Simonds
01-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Saturday January 26

Just got off the flight home from Honolulu. Oh boy that is a long time in an airplane. I figured I get a workout in then take a nap.

# Snatch 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 95 X 2, 111 X 2, 121
# Clean & Jerk 95 X 3, 115 X 2, 135 X 2, 155, 165
# Back squat 135 X 3, 155 x 2, 185 x 2, 205 x 1, 225 x 1

Not too bad considering I redeyed it home.

Derek Simonds
01-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Sunday January 27

Crossfit in the Park with Monique and Leo. I think we were all kind of tired Sunday. I know Jr and I were. Leo put together a nice one for us to take advantage of the beauty of the park. If you are in the area you really should check out Wekiva Springs State Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVKJ1t7sL4

As the temps rise Leo is promising some swimming WOD's at the park. Should be fun.

Derek Simonds
01-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Monday January 28

Tough morning getting motivated.

Back squat 185 x 2 x 2, 180 X 2 X 3
Snatch deadlift 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 145 X 1
Push press 95 X 3 X 5
Pull-ups 6, 4, 3 I am in the middle of a pull up progression

I have lots of BJJ tonight so I skipped the GHD sit ups.

Derek Simonds
01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
January 28 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class worked as the uke for Brian and we covered a ton of stuff. Single leg takedown, escape from the mount, and armbar using gi grip from the guard. Pretty fun class with 25 students on the mat.

BJJ Advanced: Worked a pull down variation on the double leg takedown where when they resist and lift up you throw their upper body up and drop to the double. Worked guard attacks where you swim your arm around their arm and grab their gi. From there shrimp the hips out, gi choke, armbar, omoplata or triangle. Very nice set of 3 to 4 attacks chained together. Did 15 minutes of non stop grappling with a new opponent every 2 minutes. Fun drill and I was able to get 3 subs, my new favorite ezekiel from mount, keylock and a gi choke from guard.

Really good classes only problem is that my knee has gone bonko.

Derek Simonds
01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
January 29 Tuesday

No WOD I tried to get to the doctor but the only appointment I could get was for this afternoon and I couldn't make it.

So my left knee swelled up like a freaking balloon. Initial self diagnosis is patella tendinitis (jumpers knee). Probably brought about by the 3 hours a day of squatting at the cert and complicated slightly by a pretty hard hit I took in BJJ.

I did the usual upped the fish oil, lots of ice, advil and compression wraps when I am not icing. It is still pretty nasty. Sooo off to the doctor tomorrow.

Good news is other than some achieness it only hurts if you touch it or I bend too much for the swelling.

Just for clarity I accidentally posted this in Dr. G's training log as I am a quite possibly not at full mental capacity (obviously)

sarena kopciel
01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
January 29 Tuesday

No WOD I tried to get to the doctor but the only appointment I could get was for this afternoon and I couldn't make it.

So my left knee swelled up like a freaking balloon. Initial self diagnosis is patella tendinitis (jumpers knee). Probably brought about by the 3 hours a day of squatting at the cert and complicated slightly by a pretty hard hit I took in BJJ.

I did the usual upped the fish oil, lots of ice, advil and compression wraps when I am not icing. It is still pretty nasty. Sooo off to the doctor tomorrow.

Good news is other than some achieness it only hurts if you touch it or I bend too much for the swelling.

Just for clarity I accidentally posted this in Dr. G's training log as I am a quite possibly not at full mental capacity (obviously)

Ouch, I can definitely relate. At the time, upped my fish oils, added in some protealytic enzymes (sp?) and also some extra joint support products. Sauna and cold showers are great or if not possible, contrast showers!!
Feel better quickly

Derek Simonds
01-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Wednesday January 30

I am a little off the reservation with the knee bothering me. So I did an upper body split :D

B/E 5 X 10
Power S/U's 5 X 15
Pull Ups 6, 5, 3 this is a really interesting progression so far

Super Sets
Push Ups Plus off of bars 10, 9, 8, 7
Bent Over 40 LB DB Rows X 5 X 4

Press + OH Shrug 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 75 X 5 X 2
Shrug 40 LB DB 8 X 4

Hammer Curls 20 LB DB's X 9, 25 LB DB's X 9 X 2

In the OH position it was interesting trying to let the shoulders down enough to shrug. I have trained that so hard to lock it out that is kind of instinctive now.

You know it was a bad day at the office when I inhale a granola bar (gasp) at 2:30 and that is the first food I have been able to eat all day.

Off to the doctor shortly.

Garrett Smith
01-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Derek--as a medical professional, here's my helpful advice.

I promise not to touch it [your knee] if you promise not to bend it. If we avoid causing the symptoms, there's not really a problem, right? :rolleyes:

Derek Simonds
01-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Only as a medical profesional do I feel comfortable with another man saying I promise not to touch it.:D

Update from the Doctor.

Pre Patella Bursitis. He thinks it was probably brought about by wearing my knee sleeves too long at the Cert. I tried to take them on and off but I did have them on more than normal.

He drained two huge syringes of fluid out of my knee to relieve some of the swelling. I really enjoy my doctors bed side manner. He said we don't need a nurse, hear push here and he jabbed me in the knee to drain it.

A little rest some steroids and he said I will be good to go.

Craig Snyder
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
For curiosity sake...what color was the juice that he took out of you?

Craig

Leo Soubbotine
01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Heal up doc!

Garrett Smith
01-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Did you get a cortisone shot or oral corticosteroids? Or did you mean NSAIDs?

I'm not a big fan of the knee sleeves. You had a relatively acute reaction to them. The long term effects of compressing the patella into the knee joint aren't much better, IMO.

If you aren't shooting for major OL competition, you may want to ditch them. If you have issues when you don't wear them, that needs to be addressed as well.

Derek Simonds
01-30-2008, 06:21 PM
For curiosity sake...what color was the juice that he took out of you? Craig

Nice and dull yellow with a very small amount of blood floating around in it.

Dr. G I have been wearing the sleeves only when I lift and then it is strictly for the time I am Snatching and C&J'ing. After thinking more about it today. I think that there are actually a couple of different contributing factors. Kind of the perfect storm for some bursitis.

1) Lots and lots of squatting with me wearing my knee sleeves on Sunday.
2) Lots more squatting with me wearing my sleeves starting the following Monday.
3) Lots of grappling while wearing knee pads.
4) Some pretty aggressive take down practice.

I measured my legs today after thinking about it and they have grown since I bought both my grappling knee pads and my Rehbans. I was right at the top of the sizing for a medium to begin with and now I am definitely into the larges. So I think that all the action in sleeves that were now too tight is what led to the problem.

I will definitely think about it before I start wearing them again. All though I loved how they warmed up the knees. Man they felt good.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Monday February 4

Spent the weekend at the happiest place on Earth, Walt Disney World for my parents 40th wedding anniversary. Pretty weird deal doing Disney on the meds that my doctor gave me for my knee.

There is nothing like seeing Disney through the eyes of a child. I am so glad we were able to do this with the entire family.

Unfortunately the meds are an imunosupresant so I picked up a cold along the way.

Blah Blah Blah. Oh I did do a little bit of exercise. Every day I did Push Ups Plus, Situps and Hand Stand Holds. I have a video of my son and I doing pullups inside the monorail while it is moving that is pretty funny.

I am supposed to go back and get my knee drained again at 11:00 today but don't know if I will be able to make it.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Ok the 1:00 PM Doctors update. Two more syringes full of fluid some X-Rays to make sure there wasn't any underlying damage that we weren't aware of and the end result is that it appears my knee has developed an infection. The fluid was not the nice color it was last week and Doc sent it out to get it cultured but went ahead and put me on an antibiotic.

Based on what he saw he said that if it isn't better by Friday he is going to refer me to an Ortho and they might consider taking out the pre-patella. I don't necessarily think that I like that idea but all I can do is wait and see what happens this week.

Allen Yeh
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Ok the 1:00 PM Doctors update. Two more syringes full of fluid some X-Rays to make sure there wasn't any underlying damage that we weren't aware of and the end result is that it appears my knee has developed an infection. The fluid was not the nice color it was last week and Doc sent it out to get it cultured but went ahead and put me on an antibiotic.

Based on what he saw he said that if it isn't better by Friday he is going to refer me to an Ortho and they might consider taking out the pre-patella. I don't necessarily think that I like that idea but all I can do is wait and see what happens this week.

Yikes!

Garrett Smith
02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Derek,
Do the antibiotic for now...before any surgery, I'd suggest we work our butt off finding you someone who does cold laser in your area. You don't want that bursa taken out if you can avoid it!

Derek Simonds
02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I will google cold laser therapy right now and see if I can find some in the area. Thanks for the idea.

Garrett Smith
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Derek,
If you'd like to find someone with the same setup I have, go to http://patients.meditech-bioflex.com/clinics/clinic-locations.php# .

Derek Simonds
02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Dr. G I spoke with a neurologist in Daytona Beach that uses cold laser and bills my insurance. Insurance billing is a plus. When I was on the phone with the office they said they did not want to start the treatment until after I had finished my course of antibiotics. Is this normal or should I ask the doctor specifically to move forward?

I will check the link you posted.

Thanks again for the input.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Found a Chiropractor off of that link a couple miles from my office and they can see me Thursday. I can't wait.

Garrett Smith
02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Derek,
I don't know of any reason to avoid the laser therapy due to antibiotics. If anything, according to theory, the laser therapy should improve the penetration of the antibiotics into the affected areas.

NSAIDs do decrease the effectiveness of laser therapy, so try to reduce or eliminate the use of those once you start treatments.

Tell your new laser doc I sent you!

Leo Soubbotine
02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Good luck at the doc, Derek.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Derek,
I don't know of any reason to avoid the laser therapy due to antibiotics. If anything, according to theory, the laser therapy should improve the penetration of the antibiotics into the affected areas.

NSAIDs do decrease the effectiveness of laser therapy, so try to reduce or eliminate the use of those once you start treatments.

Tell your new laser doc I sent you!

I will taper my NSAID's and I already told them that you referred me.

Garrett Smith
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Cool. Best of luck!

With the NSAIDs, use them as needed, just try to use as little as necessary.

If you need any probiotics after the antibiotics, you know where to find me!

Derek Simonds
02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Tuesday February 5

Trained with my good friend Chris in Atlanta at the Liftetime Fitness. Talk about a corporate monstrosity. 4 stories, 35 million facility, granite counters and more machines then I have ever seen in one place.

My knee is so torqued that all I can do is limp around and do upper body work. So here we go. My friend does a pure body part BB split. We started with some fun stuff for the abs.

3 X 20 woodchoppers with 20
3 X 20 Med Ball Throw Situps with various sides and heights Finished with 5 Russian Twists
3 X 12 17.5 LB DB OH Sit Ups

L Pullups 6, 5, 4
L Chins 4

T Bar Row 45 X 10, 90 X 8 X 2
Bent Over DB Row 30 X 10 X 2, 60 X 10
Neutral Grip Press 30 X 10 X 3
20 LB DB Shoulder Raises X 10 X 3
Machine Preacher Curls 10 X 45, 8 X 55, 8 X 65, 6 X 75, 6 X 75
5 LB DB Diesel Y rotate, shrug, press (Prehab Movement)

I haven't done this style workout in sooo long. I was laughing my arse off while we were doing the curls. My buddy was having a big time playing the total BB'er gym rat yelling all kinds of stupid sayings, namely, "this ain't no playground".

All in all it was a lot of fun and at least it didn't hurt my knee.

Derek Simonds
02-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Thursday February 7

Quad Setted
B/E 3 X 12
S/U 3 X 20
PushUp Plus 3 X 12
Pull Ups 7, 5, 4

Tri Setted
Incline Press 3 X 8 X 40 LB DB's
Ring Dips 3 X 5
Bent Over Row 3 X 8 X 40 LB DB's

Tri Setted
Press 3 X 8 X 30 LB DB's
Shrug 3 X 12 X 50 LB DB's
Curl 3 X 8 X 25 LB DB's

Derek Simonds
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Busy day with the Doctors. I met Dr Haskell and went through my first laser treatment. Interestingly enough there was less pressure pain to the touch after we got done. I don't know if the benefit was psychosomatic since I didn't expect any real improvement for at least 3 to 5 sessions. I will take whatever relief I can get.

Interestingly enough I struggled with some cynicism about the efficacy of cold laser, but I have a ton of faith in Dr. G so I put my feelings aside and went in with my eyes wide open. I had great dialog with Dr. Haskell and he even went and got one of his treatment books and we looked at it together.

My GP called and has referred me to an Ortho and I am imagine he will see me sometime next week. We are still waiting on the culture from the fluid taken out of my knee.

I am dying to snatch and clean and jerk. AARGH....

sarena kopciel
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Busy day with the Doctors. I met Dr Haskell and went through my first laser treatment. Interestingly enough there was less pressure pain to the touch after we got done. I don't know if the benefit was psychosomatic since I didn't expect any real improvement for at least 3 to 5 sessions. I will take whatever relief I can get.

Interestingly enough I struggled with some cynicism about the efficacy of cold laser, but I have a ton of faith in Dr. G so I put my feelings aside and went in with my eyes wide open. I had great dialog with Dr. Haskell and he even went and got one of his treatment books and we looked at it together.

My GP called and has referred me to an Ortho and I am imagine he will see me sometime next week. We are still waiting on the culture from the fluid taken out of my knee.

I am dying to snatch and clean and jerk. AARGH....

Hope things continue to improve. All I can say is that last week during snatch practice with nowhere near my PR, just 4 days before my 1st meet, my shoulder down to fingers went numb and there was tingling in fingers. I was disappointed and ANGRY! I had laser treatment both Fri and Sat and also some other treatment Weds--well I lifted Sunday as saw significant improvement after each treatment. It does work!

Garrett Smith
02-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Keep the faith, Derek. Thanks for your trust.

Here's some studies on related subjects to your current situation:
Knee pain (http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Kneepain.pdf)
Immune response (http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Immune_Response.pdf)
Wounds (http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Wounds.pdf)
Cartilage Regeneration (http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Cartilage_Regeneration.pdf)
Anti-inflammatory (http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Antiinflammatory.pdf)
Anti-microbial effects (http://healinglightseminars.com/listing/Antimicrobial_Effects.pdf)

Good stuff!

Derek Simonds
02-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Saturday February 8

Dynamic Upper Body W/U
Halos with 10 LB Bumper

B/E with glute squeeze 3 X 12
S/U fast 3 X 20

P/U 7, 6, 4
Push Up Plus on Bars 3 X 12

Good Morning 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 75 X 10 X 2
Press 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 75 X 10 X 2

Bent Over BB Row 75 X 10 X 3
Shrug BB 75 X 12 X 3
Incline DB 45 X 8 X 3

1 Arm 35 LB KB Swing 10 L, 10 R X 3
1 Arm 35 LB KB High Pull 5 L, 5 R X 3

Hammer DB Curl 25 LB 8 X 3
Bar Dips 7 X 3

Each group was done together with no rest. Pull Ups are progressing nicely. Knee feels pretty damn good this morning even though it is still swollen like a mother.

2nd laser treatment at 9:45.

Garrett Smith
02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
The pain always goes away first. It's a good sign.

If you can, continue with the contrast hydrotherapy. Elevating the knee when you can will help too.

Derek Simonds
02-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Monday February 10

Prone Y's 3 X 10
B/E 3 X 12
S/U 3 X 12

Diesel Y Prehab 5 DB X 9 X 3
Wrist Rolls from 20" Box with 10 LB's X 3 (Lot harder then I thought it would be)

P/U's 7, 6, 5, Chin 4
Push Up Plus on bars 3 X 12, 10

Press 65 X 10, 75 X 10, 85 X 8
Bent Over BB Rows 65 X 10, 75 X 10, 85 X 8

Incline 45 DB's X 5 X 5
Shrug 50 DB's X 10 X 5

Hammer Curl 30 DB X 6 X 3

Overall no problems with workout. Totally frustrated with my knee as it swelled up huge again on Sunday. I have been doing the contrast therapy and trying to use it as little as possible. In fact I think I am getting mental about what it is doing to the way I walk and use my other leg. Saturday night we had a charity benefit for Krewe Nouveau and they support the house next door so we went to that at the skating rink and I guess just being up and moving around on it all that time and the hardness of the rink in dress shoes probably got the bursa fired up again.

I have treatment at 11:30 for the next 3 days so lets see if we can get this back under control.

Garrett Smith
02-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Derek,
If what you are doing is aggravating the knee, my advice would be to stop doing it.

If you are really getting mental about how it is affecting your walk, maybe crutches for a couple days will be helpful. Seriously.

Derek Simonds
02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Major infection in the bursa. For whatever reason even with the laser therapy and antibiotics my knee has gone from not good to bad. My GP had me go to an Ortho and the Ortho was very unhappy with the infection. He switched up my antibiotics to Levaquin and scheduled a follow up visit for Wednesday. He thinks that I should see improvement in 2 days.

I am completely immobilized in a splint from thigh to calf so I pretty much will be using crutches for a couple of days like Dr. G recommended.

Life should be pretty interesting as I speak at a meeting Wednesday morning and have never spoken with a lack of mobility. I am a very animated presenter, should be fun.

Allen Yeh
02-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Major infection in the bursa. For whatever reason even with the laser therapy and antibiotics my knee has gone from not good to bad. My GP had me go to an Ortho and the Ortho was very unhappy with the infection. He switched up my antibiotics to Levaquin and scheduled a follow up visit for Wednesday. He thinks that I should see improvement in 2 days.

I am completely immobilized in a splint from thigh to calf so I pretty much will be using crutches for a couple of days like Dr. G recommended.

Life should be pretty interesting as I speak at a meeting Wednesday morning and have never spoken with a lack of mobility. I am a very animated presenter, should be fun.

As long as you can avoid the face plant, right?

Derek Simonds
02-13-2008, 04:41 AM
Wednesday February 13

Wall Slides 3 X 12
Diesel Y's 5 LB DB 3 X 8

B/E 3 X 12
Laying Down S/U 3 X 20

Pull Ups 8, 6, 5, 4 Chins
Push Up Plus on Bars 3 X 12 + 12 regular

Shrug 50 LB DB 4 X 10
Incline 50 LB DB 5 X 5 +1
Bent Over Row 50 LB DB 4 X 5 +1

Derek Simonds
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Well I have learned a lot about stuff I really could care not to have learned about. My sister in TN is a peditrician and we all were together right after my knee started acting up. As it turns out both of my nieces apparently picked up MRSA somewhere, somehow at Disney. When she got home her daughter had bumps on her legs, she cultured them and bam MRSA. After she heard I wasn't improving and actually getting worse she called and said you need to let them know that you have been in contact with children that have MRSA.

Long story short I have a standing appointment at the Ortho and he was very concerned about the swelling. After I shared with him about my nieces his concern raised another notch. I have already been on 2 antibiotics that haven't helped and based on the latest information he switched me to two more that are used to treat MRSA.

I have to be back at the Ortho again Friday morning for another evaluation. He also gave me a very stern lecture that if I spike a fever or if the redness around the knee changes or starts running up or down my leg to go straight to the ER not to wait and try and see him the next day. The best part was when he left and came back he said "when you go to the ER make sure they call me so I can stay in the loop". I was like do you know something I don't know.

He ended up draining 30 CC's of fluid out of my knee. That is a tremendously large syringe. I dropped it off to have it cultured and cell analyzed. Here is what it looked liked.

http://i26.tinypic.com/3164488.jpg

I have been immobilized since Monday, but after draining it again he did a pressure wrap to try and keep the fluid from immediately filling the bursa again. Here is my leg with splint and pressure wrap.

http://i25.tinypic.com/racj7o.jpg

I have spent more time in Doctors office with this then anything I have gone through so far in my life. I pray that for the remainder of mine and my families this is the longest I have to experience. I have decided that the waiting is the most interminable part of the process.

Dr. Haskel who was treating me with the low level laser called up and spoke to the doctors whom he trained under and they said until the swelling and fluid goes down to discontinue treatment as it isn't getting to where it needs to. He really has been a great doctor and supported me all the way through. He was even part way through the treatment today when the folks in Canada told him to stop and he didn't bill me for it.

sarena kopciel
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, sounds like hell and then some. Feel better wishes all around. That MRSA is some wicked stuff I hear!

Yuen Sohn
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Derek,
I'm sorry to hear about this. I wish you good luck and hope you'll get over this soon.

Yael Grauer
02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Hope you get better soon!!

Garrett Smith
02-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Derek,
I'll call you later today. I have confidence you'll get through this just fine.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Friday February 15

Wall Slides 2 X 10
Diesel Y's 2 X 8
Halos 10 LB Bumper 2 X 10 each way

S/U's with legs straight (Ha like there is any other way) 3 X 20
B/E's 15, 12, 12
Wrist Rolls W/ 10 LB's from 20" box X 3
10 LB Bumper Wood Choppers X 10 each side

Pull Ups 8, 7, 5, 4 C, 3 C

Flat Bench 50 LB DB 3 X 9
Bent Over 50 LB DB Row 3 X 5

Curl and Press 30 LB DB 3 X 9

Derek Simonds
02-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Friday morning Doctor update.

The redness on top of my knee has gone away indicating to the doctor that he has me on the right set of antibiotics. The inflammation however is another story. After draining 30 CC's on Wednesday the doc put a pressure wrap on to try and keep the bursa from filling back up. Didn't work. It swelled back up to the same size within 12 hours.

So the doctor today says we have the infection under control but I have to refer you to a knee specialist in our practice as there isn't anything else I can do for you. Nice use of a $50 copay.

Monday 1:15 I have an appointment with the knee guy. They are back to the same thing taking out the bursa. Who knows I am going to discuss it as long as I can with the knee guy first.

Warning if you don't want to see the size of my knee don't scroll down anymore.

http://i29.tinypic.com/1685zs4.jpg

No jokes about the leg. Yep that is nasty. I have been telling people that it looked like I had half a baseball on top of my knee and I wanted to show a baseball in comparison.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Sunday February 17

Wall Slides 2 X 12
Diesel Y's 2 X 8
25 LB Bumper Halos 2 X 10 each direction

B/E's 15, 12, 12
Straight Leg S/U's 3 X 20

Pull Up's 8, 7, 6, 4 C, 3 C
Dips, 7, 7, 7, 4, 3

Press 45 X 10, 75 X 8 X 3
Bent Over Row 45 X 10, 75 X 8 X 3

Shrug 65 LB DB 8 X 3
Wrist Roll From 20" Box 10 LB X 3
Hammer Curl 30 LB DB 8 X 3

45 BB Curl 8 X S, W, R

I will do some Push Ups Plus later today along with some stretching. Taking the kids up to the redneck resort. My son is going squirrel hunting for the first time. Unfortunately I won't be able to go with them. Kind of hard to traipse through the forest in a knee immobilizer.

The infection is definitely better today. The inflammation isn't. At least with the infection under control that opens the options for treatment with the Ortho. Monday at 1:15 I should know what the next step is.

Garrett Smith
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Derek,
When can you start the laser treatments again?

Derek Simonds
02-18-2008, 05:34 AM
The doctors in Canada advised against starting treatment until the infection and inflammation were gone. Apparently with as much fluid as I have in my knee the concern was that the laser was not getting to the areas it needed.

I have been speaking with Dr. Haskell to keep him informed of my progress.

I have an appt with a new Ortho who is a knee specialist today. I am very pleased with the progress in regards to infection. My knee looks color wise almost the same as it was before.

Derek Simonds
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Tuesday February 19

Wall Slides 2 X 12
Diesel Y's 3 X 8

Dynamic Warmup even swinging the legs Yeah!

Straight Leg Situps 3 X 20
B/E's 15, 12, 12

Pull Ups 8, 7, 6, 5 C, 3 C
Push Ups Plus 3 X 12, 2 X 8

Straight Leg DL's With Bent Over Row
95 LB's 3, 1 / 3, 1 / 3, 1
95 LB's 2, 1 / 2, 1 / 2, 1 / 2, 1/ 2, 1
95 LB's 3, 1 / 3, 1 / 3, 1 / 3, 1
95 LB's 3, 1 / 3, 1 / 3, 1 / 3, 1

Incline Bench 5 X 5 45 LB DB's
Hammer Curl 4 X 8 30 LB DB's

Farmers Walk 1 Up / 1 Down 50 Yards 4 Trips 63 LB KB Down / 36 LB KB Up change arms each time

I think I am forgetting something but oh well thats what you get for waiting 2 days to post your workout.

Derek Simonds
02-21-2008, 03:57 AM
Thursday February 21 AM

Wall Slides 2 X 12
Diesel Y's 2 X 8
B/E's 3 X 12
S/U's 3 X 20

Pull Ups 9, 7, 6, 5 C, 4 C
Push Ups Plus 12, 12, 10, 8, 8 (just wasn't feeling it on the 3rd set)

4 X 50 Yard Farmers Walk with Big Daddy (36 KG KB) and Big Momma (28 KG KB) at the start of each walk 5 suitcase DL's and the finish 3 Shrugs 30 seconds rest in between.

OH Sit Ups 3 X 12 w/15 LB DB's
Hanging KTE's 3 X 10

My right elbow felt a little twingey so I called it. I have been doing a ton of grip training and didn't want to take a chance on any elbow problems. I am really happy with the pull up progression. I felt really strong on the first set and then the next 4 are a little challenging. Farmers walk was harder than I anticipated.

Finished with
100 Single Unders + Double Under
Tabata Jump Rope Singles 55 highest on 5th set and 44 lowest last set
100 Single Unders + 2 Double Unders

It felt good to do something with my legs and to get in a little met con.

Thursday February 21 PM

YRG for 20 minutes with the wife. Nice quality time and a little stretching. It is kind of hard to do some of the moves when you can't put your knee on the ground.

Derek Simonds
02-21-2008, 04:02 AM
By the way I forgot to give my last doctors report. On Monday he was very pleased with the progress and he cleared me to exercise, sort of. He said I could ride the bike for my legs, I asked about jump rope and swimming which he okayed both. So that is why I did tabata jump rope this morning.

He did tell me that he didn't want me to lose any more range of motion or leg strength so as my swelling decreased I could increase the types of exercises I do.

He put me on a really strong NSAID that makes me slightly giddy immediately after taking. He wants me to take them for 2 weeks and finish this course of antibiotics and we will see where we go from there.

The best part was that he was prepared to take me to the OR for surgery based on how things had gone last week. Thank God we didn't have to do that!

Chris Forbis
02-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Congrats on avoiding the knife. Best wishes for continued recovery.

Allen Yeh
02-21-2008, 07:53 AM
By the way I forgot to give my last doctors report. On Monday he was very pleased with the progress and he cleared me to exercise, sort of. He said I could ride the bike for my legs, I asked about jump rope and swimming which he okayed both. So that is why I did tabata jump rope this morning.

He did tell me that he didn't want me to lose any more range of motion or leg strength so as my swelling decreased I could increase the types of exercises I do.

He put me on a really strong NSAID that makes me slightly giddy immediately after taking. He wants me to take them for 2 weeks and finish this course of antibiotics and we will see where we go from there.

The best part was that he was prepared to take me to the OR for surgery based on how things had gone last week. Thank God we didn't have to do that!

Sweet!

Derek Simonds
02-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Friday February 22

I woke up at 5:15 with no alarm and felt really good so I decided to get up and lift. I didn't have anything planned so I did a dynamic warmup then started playing with the B/WU. Everything felt really good from the mid thigh hang position so I decided to do some HPS and HPC.

Mid Thigh HPS
45 X 3, 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3 X 4, 95, 105, 115

Last HPS had a little press out but still really happy with these numbers as I haven't ever really worked the HPS.

Mid Thigh HPC&J all jerks with right leg forward
95 X 4, 105 X 3, 115 X 3, 125, 135, 145 (PR on PC definitely PR R Leg Jerk)

I did 3 DJ Press Outs on the last rep of all the jerks.

Metcon for time
21, 15, 9 54 LB KB Swing and Double Unders
6:28 This was a perfect smoker at the end. My DU's suck so I am going to incorporate them through out my warm ups.

No problem with the knee but still very limited range of motion. Precautionary icing.

Leo Soubbotine
02-22-2008, 04:57 AM
Good work Derek! Soon it'll be time to squat and set new pr's!

Derek Simonds
02-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I know a little at a time. But man the weights they are a calling me.

Leo your training looks SOLID. Did you drop the ranger ron pull up progression?

Leo Soubbotine
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
No man. I just do it all the time late at night and forget to post it next day.
Been doing dead hang chinups and 50 kg shoulder presses (kipping pullups kill the grip too much too soon). Plus I don't have a kipping technique issue, rather grip/back strength & endurance, so deadhangs help a lot!

Derek Simonds
02-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Saturday February 23

Morning workout with my son.

Wall Slides 2 X 12
Diesel Y's 2 X 10
B/E's 2 X 15

Pull Ups 9, 8, 6, 5 C, 4 C
Push Ups Plus 12, 12, 10, 10, 8

BB Complex 75 LB's X 5 Reps 90 seconds rest 3 times
Straight Leg DL's
Hang Power Clean
Press
Good Mornings
Push Press

Incline Press 45 LB DB's X 8 X 3
Hammer Curl 30 LB DB's X 8 X 3

Jr did pull/ups, 1 arm pull/ups, mountain climbers, rope climbs, timed hangs pretty much he spent the whole time hanging from the pull up bar. He did do some C&J practice. His jerk is coming along nicely.

Grip training and some ab work later.

Derek Simonds
02-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Monday February 25

I am going to do a 4 week cycle using the 3 day a week full body workout for hypertrophy from Coach Dos. I am going to be another 2 weeks before I have a chance at getting cleared for contact with my knee so that eliminates almost all DL's, Cleans and Snatches and any variants that start at the ground. With that in mind here I go.

D W/U
Mod B W/U
B/E's 2 X 12
S/U's 2 X 20

HPC 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 95 X 3, 105 X 3, 115 X 3, 120 X 3, 125 X 3
FS BW X 10, 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 105 X 8, 115 X 8, 120 X 6
1 Leg RDL Each Leg 8KG X 10, 16 KG X 8, 16 KG X 8, 24 KG X 6

P/U's 9, 8, 7, 5C, 4C
PP 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 95 X 8, 95 X 8, 95 X 6

Bench 95 X 10, 115 X 8, 135 X 8, 145 X 6
DB Row Each Arm 40 X 10, 45 X 8, 45 X 8, 45 X 6

Russian Twist 20 LB MB 10 X 4
Plank KTE 30 Reps X 4

With W/U took 1:15 with very little breaks. This was harder than I thought it was going to be. I have lost a ton of strength in my squat with the knee problem. I was really feeling the squats in my adductors. On the FS I wanted to make sure not to extend to far with my knee so I went to a med ball. P/U's still progressing nicely. I need to look at my log and see when to take a back off week. I will ask Leo about that today.

Allen Yeh
02-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Monday February 25

I am going to do a 4 week cycle using the 3 day a week full body workout for hypertrophy from Coach Dos. I am going to be another 2 weeks before I have a chance at getting cleared for contact with my knee so that eliminates almost all DL's, Cleans and Snatches and any variants that start at the ground. With that in mind here I go.

His Powertraining book?

Derek Simonds
02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
His Powertraining book?

Yep. Lot of stuff we all have been around. Very good exercise descriptions and lots of pictures.

I have used it on guys that aren't interested in going all the way over to CrossFit or Olympic Lifting. I like his push / pull thoughts a lot.

Allen Yeh
02-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Yep. Lot of stuff we all have been around. Very good exercise descriptions and lots of pictures.

I have used it on guys that aren't interested in going all the way over to CrossFit or Olympic Lifting. I like his push / pull thoughts a lot.

I've heard good things about that book, I was kind of surprised at his thoughts on deadlifts on his Fitcast interview. He basically viewed a deadlift as a squat from the ground, somewhat shocking to me since I've always viewed them as a completely different stimulus, especially if you are talking about the olympic squat.

Garrett Smith
02-26-2008, 09:42 AM
I used to deadlift like a squat--until Rippetoe had me as an example of a long torso guy deadlifting at my first CF cert. Now I know that deadlifting is, as you said Allen, a totally different stimulus and movement.

I even heard that JC Santana did a demo of KB swings the other day at a Perform Better seminar, teaching them like a squat movement instead of hinging mostly at the hip (like the difference between a squat and a deadlift!). I'd bet he's never had any training in KB movements at all.

People are so scared of really using their posterior chain properly. It's sad.

Derek Simonds
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I have the most significant case of DOMS I have had in over 2 years. I wasn't this sore after Leo and I did painstorm in the park. Ridiculous.

Allen I read the entire book back when it came out. Since I am doing the workouts in it I started rereading it. I skipped all the exercise descriptions so I will go back and revisit his take on DL's. I didn't hear him on fitcast talking about DL's but he does definitely want to make sure that people are working their posterior chain.

He breaks everything into knee dominant and hip dominant movements the knee movement on Monday was FS and the hip movement was the 1 leg RDL. He also splits the exercises up A / B with A being Bilateral and B being Unilateral. So Monday was Bilateral for Knee and Uni for Hip which will be reversed on Wednesday. I like that a lot right now with getting my left leg back up to speed.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Wednesday February 27

D W/U
B W/U

Wall Slides 2 X 12
Diesel Y's 5 LB's 2 X 10
B/E's 2 X 15
S/U's 2 X 20

HPS 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 95 X 3 X 4

Drop Lunge BW, 45 X 10, 65 X 8, 75 X 8, 85 X 6

P/U 9, 8, 7, 5 C, 4 C
DB 1 Arm Press 20 LB's X 10, 25 X 8, 30 X 8, 35 X 6

Good Morning 65 X 10, 95 X 8, 95 X 8, 95 X 6

DB Incline 40 X 10, 45 X 8 X 2, 50 X 6
Horiz P/U 10, 8, 8, 6

Corkscrew 8 KG KB 10,
Choppers 8 KG KB 10, 10, 10 each side
Plank Hold 4 X 40 Sec
OHSU + Russian Twist 8 KG KB 10 X 2

Corkscrews are a good exercise I stopped because I was really favoring my left knee and didn't want to be off balanced. Drop lunges were interesting. I could have done more weight but first time ever with exercise and wanted to make sure I got the movement down correctly. There is some funny stress in the movement so you have to nail it.

1:15 total time with additional ab work.

Allen Yeh
02-27-2008, 03:56 AM
I have the most significant case of DOMS I have had in over 2 years. I wasn't this sore after Leo and I did painstorm in the park. Ridiculous.

Funny stuff.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Funny stuff.

Not really I could hardly walk up the stairs last night. My lovely wife wanted to showcase her newly graduated massage skills and I thought perfect a little massage will loosen up the legs. She knows that I like deep pressure so everything was going swimmingly and she has me roll over and starts working on my quads using her forearm to strip the muscle and I started crying.

When she got done I walked downstairs to get a class of water and considered sleeping on the couch so I wouldn't have to walk back up the stairs. :D

I am going to brag on my wife now. She gave me the best full body massage I have ever had in my life! I am definitely excited about her new career.

Allen Yeh
02-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Not really I could hardly walk up the stairs last night.

Hehe actually now it's even funnier :D

Derek Simonds
03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Friday early AM departure so Saturday is the day for my workout.

Derek Simonds
03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Saturday March 1

D W/U
B W/U

Some squats some jumping around some loosening up

HPC 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 3
Split Squat Each Leg 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 75 X 8 X 2, 85 X 6
1 LRDL Each Leg16 K X 10, 16 K X 8, 24 K X 8, 28 K X 6

P/U 9, 8, 7, 6, 5
PJ 45 X 5, 95 X 10, 95 X 8 X 2, 95 X 6

Bench 105 X 10, 125 X 8, 145 X 8, 155 X 8
1 Arm DB Row Each Arm 45 X 10, 45 X 8 X 2, 45 X 6

I went up in weights on everything that I had already done. I like / don't like the whole doing different exercises every workout thing. It makes it hard to have a linear progression. I am really liking the 1 legged stuff. My right ankle is definitely weaker, even after the problem with my knee, then my left ankle.

58 Minutes with no abs. I am going to do a met-con, abs and some gymnastics holds tomorrow before Jr's meet.

Totally ran out of time and was even ahead of schedule. Kids are moving schools next year so we had to get to admission testing at 9:00 AM. Did the Daytona Bike Week gig last night at Iron Horse Saloon. Late night, Adult Beverages and an early morning.

Garrett Smith
03-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Derek,
For the ankle, definitely do the Foot Drills pre-workout!

Derek Simonds
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Sunday March 1

3 rounds of
20 S/U's
15 B/E's
20 20 LB MB Russian Twists
8 X 65 LB Shrug
9 X 30 LB DB Curls

3 rounds of
12 H KTE's
45 second plank
10 LB wrist curls both ways from 20 inch box

Planks were much harder after the other ab work.

Derek Simonds
03-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Derek,
For the ankle, definitely do the Foot Drills pre-workout!

I will add them in starting Monday. I have been doing them throughout the day just not coordinated.

Derek Simonds
03-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Monday March 3

D W/U
B W/U

S/U 15 X 3
Plate Halos Both Ways 10 LB's X 10 X 3

HPS 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 100 X 3 X 3

FS 45 X 10, 100 X 10, 120 X 8, 120 X 8, 125 X 6

GM 75 X 8, 100 X 8 X 2, 100 X 6

1 Arm DB Split Jerk 40 LB's X 10, 40 LB X 8 X 2, 40 LB's X 6
L P/U 5, 4, 3, 4 C, 3 C

DB Incline Press 45 X 10, 45 X 8, 50 X 8, 50 X 6
BB Row 45 X 10, 45 X 8 X 2, 45 X 6

Dynamic Plank 45 Seconds X 2
Wood Choppers 16 KG KB Each Side 10 X 2

Derek Simonds
03-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Wednesday March 6

Pretty smoked from travel yesterday. I did an up and back to Huntsville AL.

D W/U
B W/U

HPC 45 X 3, 120 X 3, 130 X 3, 140 X 3, 150 X 3 (PR with plenty left in the tank)
Bulg Split Squat BW X 3, 65 X 5 (too much) 45 X 5, 45 X 8 X 2, 45 X 6
1 LRDL 24 KG KB X 10, 24 X 8, 28 X 8, 36 X 8

L P/U 5, 5, 4, 5 C, 4 C
PP 75 X 10, 95 X 8 X 2, 95 X 6

Bench 115 X 10, 135 X 8, 145 X 8, 155 X 8
DB Row + Twist 30 X 10, 30 X 8 X 2, 30 X 6

Side Planks each side 2 X 20
Brazillian S/U 20, 20, 15, 15

S/U 20 X 2
B/E 15 X 2

Went up on all weights, a lot on the bench and 1 LRDL a little on PP. Next time go up 5 LB's on Bench.

BSS's were significantly harder than I ever imagined. I started with 65 LB's did 5 on each leg and went to 45 LB's and that was plenty for the rest of the reps. P/U's felt real good. Row and twist could have done more weight but wanted to back off back a little this week so I really felt out the exercise.

Allen Yeh
03-05-2008, 04:35 AM
Wednesday March 6

Pretty smoked from travel yesterday. I did an up and back to Huntsville AL.

D W/U
B W/U

HPC 45 X 3, 120 X 3, 130 X 3, 140 X 3, 150 X 3 (PR with plenty left in the tank)
Bulg Split Squat BW X 3, 65 X 5 (too much) 45 X 5, 45 X 8 X 2, 45 X 6
1 LRDL 24 KG KB X 10, 24 X 8, 28 X 8, 36 X 8

L P/U 5, 5, 4, 5 C, 4 C
PP 75 X 10, 95 X 8 X 2, 95 X 6

Bench 115 X 10, 135 X 8, 145 X 8, 155 X 8
DB Row + Twist 30 X 10, 30 X 8 X 2, 30 X 6

Side Planks each side 2 X 20
Brazillian S/U 20, 20, 15, 15

S/U 20 X 2
B/E 15 X 2

Went up on all weights, a lot on the bench and 1 LRDL a little on PP. Next time go up 5 LB's on Bench.

BSS's were significantly harder than I ever imagined. I started with 65 LB's did 5 on each leg and went to 45 LB's and that was plenty for the rest of the reps. P/U's felt real good. Row and twist could have done more weight but wanted to back off back a little this week so I really felt out the exercise.

BSS's are a bitch. I remember 15 pound DB's for 12 a leg were killing me. I remember thinking, "how are my legs that much weaker than my DB curl?"

Derek Simonds
03-05-2008, 05:50 AM
BSS's are a bitch. I remember 15 pound DB's for 12 a leg were killing me. I remember thinking, "how are my legs that much weaker than my DB curl?"

Yeah that thought crossed my mind also. I did however rationalize that the weight was actually BW + 45 LB's where the DB Curls is only the weight of the DB. Still didn't make me feel any better.

I have been doing pistols even up to + 35 LB's and up to 6 reps. BSS's felt way harder.

Allen Yeh
03-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Yeah that thought crossed my mind also. I did however rationalize that the weight was actually BW + 45 LB's where the DB Curls is only the weight of the DB. Still didn't make me feel any better.

I have been doing pistols even up to + 35 LB's and up to 6 reps. BSS's felt way harder.

Weird huh? Pistols are still a balance thing for me but I can knock a few out with greater ease than BSS's from a "muscles wondering why the heck I'm torturing them" perspective.

Derek Simonds
03-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Based on the level of un-comfortableness I am going to keep them in the rotation.

I have to say that I am very pleased only being a couple of weeks really into this little experiment with the exercise selection and results.

Friday is going to be the first time BS is in and I am going to try and do full range RDL's. I am still concerned about rubbing my knee cap with the bar so we will see how it goes.

Next week I am going to add in at least one day of met-con ala Gant and Leo where I will try and do 2 shorter xFit WOD's. I might do just one met-con and work in some of Greg's programming from the last strength cycle that won't require pulling from the floor. Snatch Balance, BNJ's things like that.

Leo Soubbotine
03-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Training looks good Derek!

Did you get to order the harnesses?

Derek Simonds
03-06-2008, 03:52 AM
They weren't listed yet on sale. I emailed the guy. Training does feel pretty solid. I am putting in a lot of work. I hate the whole can't have contact with the knee thing. I am so ready to pull from the floor.

Derek Simonds
03-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Thursday March 6

Basically just an active recovery day. No real work planned.

Shrug 65 LB DB's 8 X 3
DB Hammer Curl 30 X 9 X 3
Push Up + 10 X 3

With a 24 KG KB
5 S Each Arm
1 Trip wrist roller 10 LB's from box
5 C&J Each Arm
5 Swings Each Arm

I have been wanting to get some KB dedicated work in. I am going to play with this in a linear progression and see what I can build up to.

Lucy Interval's, I walked the dog this morning and did 5 fartleks at around 100 - 200 M's in a 20 minute walk. Felt really good to be moving the legs. I still am uncomfortable with the knee but everything felt solid.

Leo Soubbotine
03-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Any idea when?

Man I'm all pumped up here and looking to order some long fat rope to do heavy sled drags with the use of a rope in for extra umppfff!

Derek Simonds
03-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Friday March 7

D W/U
B W/U

HPS 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 105 X 3 X 3

BS 105 X 10, 135 X 8 X 2, 145 X 6

RDL 155 X 10, 165 X 8 X 2, 165 X 6

L P/U 5, 5, 5, 5C, 5C
DB PJ 40 X 10, 45 X 8 X 2, 45 X 6

DB Incline 45 X 10, 50 X 8 X 2, 50 X 6
DB Row 45 X 10, 45 X 8, 50 X 8, 50 X 6

First rotation with BS. Going to stay at same weight next time and focus on tech. Felt good just a little wobbly at some points but overall solid. RDL were no problem except for the whole contact with the knee thing. If you try to pull correctly there is no way around touching the knee. I am not going to do those next week. P/U's felt great.

Allen Yeh
03-07-2008, 04:26 AM
First rotation with BS. Going to stay at same weight next time and focus on tech. Felt good just a little wobbly at some points but overall solid. RDL were no problem except for the whole contact with the knee thing. If you try to pull correctly there is no way around touching the knee. I am not going to do those next week. P/U's felt great.

Could you sub unilateral RDL's?

Derek Simonds
03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Could you sub unilateral RDL's?

That is exactly what I am going to do. I have been doing them so far, today I really just wanted to pull from the floor. Not going to be doing that any more.

On another totally random note, I am producing sweat at an epic level. I am hitting the exercises based on 1 minute rest between sets of lower body and 1 minute rest between supersets on the upper body. I know I am working hard but good golly I am literally soaking through, almost like finishing a 1 hour met-con. This morning the temperature in my garage couldn't have been higher then 70 didn't make a difference at all.

Allen Yeh
03-07-2008, 08:18 AM
That is exactly what I am going to do. I have been doing them so far, today I really just wanted to pull from the floor. Not going to be doing that any more.

On another totally random note, I am producing sweat at an epic level. I am hitting the exercises based on 1 minute rest between sets of lower body and 1 minute rest between supersets on the upper body. I know I am working hard but good golly I am literally soaking through, almost like finishing a 1 hour met-con. This morning the temperature in my garage couldn't have been higher then 70 didn't make a difference at all.

That's how I felt doing the Fat Loss workouts in The New Rules of Lifting. I know Dos and Alwyn have similar ideas.

Derek Simonds
03-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Sunday March 9th

Recovering from too much fun at Bike Week 2008.

A little active recovery with the family. Laney rode her bike, Jr and I rollerbladed and Tracy walked the dog. We covered around a mile with lots of forward and back for the kids and I. Good times.

Derek Simonds
03-10-2008, 04:23 AM
Monday March 10th

D W/U
B W/U

HPC 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 3, 155 X 3 (PR)

OHS BW X 10, 45 X 10, 65 X 8, 76 X 8, 85 X 4

1 Leg B/E Each Leg 10, 8, 6, 4

P/U 9, 8, 7, 6 C, 5 C
PJ 95 X 10, 95 X 8 X 2, 105 X 6

Bench 120 X 10, 140 X 8, 150 X 8, 160 X 6
BB Row 95 X 10, 95 X 8, 105 X 8, 105 X 10

Supine Bridge 25 Seconds X 3
Wood Chop 16 KG KB 10 Each Side X 3

OHS were no trouble strength wise just finding the groove on them again. I did them A2A and it felt good. HPC is definitely in uncharted territory. I think I should be able to get 160 at the end of the week. Next cycle I am going to do full versions instead of power based on the way my knee felt today with OHS.

Speaking of my knee it swelled up slightly this weekend and the only thing I can think of is the RDL's from Friday. It isn't too bad just a little bigger than before.

1LB/E's were a lot harder than I thought they would be. Especially after the OHS. Bench and P/U's felt good. I look forward to another 3 weeks of increased P/U's.

Leo Soubbotine
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Derek - check out the pics I threw link to in this jerk explanation. You'll love it. You'll jerk anything you'll be able to clean!

http://traininganarchy.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16317&posted=1#post16317

Derek Simonds
03-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Wednesday March 13

D W/U
B W/U

HPS 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 110 X 3 X 2, 105 X 3 X 2

FS A2A BW X 10, 105 X 10, 125 X 8 X 2, 135 X 6

GM 75 X 10, 105 X 8 X 2, 105 X 6

P/U 10, 8, 7, 6C, 5C
DB PP 40 X 10, 40 X 8, 45 X 8, 50 X 6

DB Incline 45 X 10, 50 X8 X 2, 50 X 6
Horiz P/U 10, 8 X 2, 6

B S/U 15 X 3
Plank 45 Second X 3

HPS Had a press out on the last rep of the first 2 sets so went back down to 105. FS felt great. First time repping 135 in a while! GM I don't know how much more I will go up on these. They were not a problem just wandering about them. I was tired on the P/U's but got them out ok. The PP last two sets lock out wasn't exactly perfect. Probably go back down next time. I wanted to go up on the last set of DB incline but out of 3 LB's to 100 LB's of DB's the only 2 I am missing are 55 and 60. Doh! Looks like I need to pick those up.

Derek Simonds
03-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Derek - check out the pics I threw link to in this jerk explanation. You'll love it. You'll jerk anything you'll be able to clean!

http://traininganarchy.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16317&posted=1#post16317

You know I need all the help I can get on my jerk. I can't get into the forum without registering. I will check it out later.

Leo Soubbotine
03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Ah crap I forgot about that...

Here's a link to the original article:
http://www.shtanga.kcn.ru/opyt.htm

Derek Simonds
03-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Thursday March 13

45 LB DB Shrug X 12 X 4
30 DB Hammer Curl X 9 X 4

55M Farmers Walk 24 KG and 28 KG KB alternating hands each trip

55M's 6 24 KG KB S Each Hand
55M's 6 24 KG KB C&J Each Hand
55M's 6 24 KG KB Swings Each Hand
55M's then back to the garage

Parallette Push Up Plus 10, 8, 8
Dips 5, 5, 5
45 BB Curl 10 W, 10 N, 10 R

Straight Leg S/U's 20 X 2

Nice little get the blood flowing WO.

Derek Simonds
03-14-2008, 04:17 AM
Friday March 14

HPC 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 140 X 3, 150 X 3, 160 X 3 (PR)

BS 115 X 10, 140 X 8, 145 X 8, 155 X 6

P/U 10, 9, 7, 6, 5
Jerk 100 X 10, 100 X 7, 100 X 6, 100 X 6

1LRDL 28 X 10, 28 X 8, 36 X 8, 36 X 6
Bench 135 X 10, 145 X 8, 155 X 8, 165 X 6
DB Row 45 X 10, 50 X 8 X 2, 50 X 6

Wife is sick so had to head in to help with kids. HPC from mid thigh new PR. Definitely in uncharted territory with the weights here. Next cycle I am going to do HC instead of HPC. BS felt great. P/U's were a little struggle but still moving forward. I need more weight for the DB Rows. Probably going to 65 and down a lot on reps. Split Jerk damn near killed me. The jerk is no problem but lowering the weight under control for reps is a killer negative for me. My left leg is so much more stable in 1L work then my right.

Derek Simonds
03-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Monday March 17

Hang Clean 45 X3, 95 X 3, 115 X 3 X 2, 135 X 3
FS 115 X 10, 125 X 8, 130 X 8, 140 X 6
Suitcase DB DL 50 X 10, 65 X8 X 2, 70 X 6

P/U 10, 9, 8, 6, 5
Push Press 95 X 10, 100 X 8, 105 X 8, 110 X 6

DB Incline 50 X 10, 50 X 8 X 2, 50 X 6
DB Row 50 X 10, 50 X 8 X 2, 50 X 6

Laced up the blue suede shoes for the first time this morning. Felt good to put them back on. Hang clean from mid thigh. Everything felt good. Need to work on a little faster getting under the bar. FS moved up nicely. Suitcase DB DL's suck. They are real close to the ground and the small grip knurled up grip really grinds the hands. Pull Ups were a struggle. PP moved up nicely also.

Wed and Fri are 1/2 volume days preparing for transition to a strength cycle.

Derek Simonds
03-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Tuesday March 18

Rutman Mile
I walked .8 mile in 13:21 with a 65 LB sandbag. It wasn't easy but not overly difficult. A great start to the training. I am going to spread this out into 2 walks a week for 12 weeks and do it in a linear fashion. I am going to simply add weight each time I walk. If I add 5 LB's every walk I should be able to make the 190 in 12 weeks.

Lucy Intervals
I ran 7 intervals of 30 - 45 seconds with Lucy this morning. The last interval was exactly 200 M's and I ran it in 40 seconds. This was slowed by the fact that I was dragging the dog. She is hell on wheels the first couple of intervals but she starts slowing down towards the end.

Garrett Smith
03-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Derek,
My dog Daisy is the same way. She looks like she's impatient with me on the first 400m, by the third one she either doesn't want to join me or she's just dragging. The weekend walks we go on with the family let her run just how she wants--usually much shorter than a 400, faster speed, and lots of trotting in between.

Derek Simonds
03-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Update on the Rutman Mile Challenge.

I have decided that I am going to do 2 walks a week one of the walks will be 65 LB's plus 10 LB's each week, the second will be at full body weight and I will keep increasing the distance. I plan on starting with a walk of at least 200 M's and increase the distance from there. This way I will get a little distance work and a little ME work. Both building towards my ultimate effort.

Gant Grimes
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Screw the Rutman Mile. You just missed the Finland Festival last month and the Wife Carrying competition.

http://postpix.palmbeachpost.com/pages/gallery.php?gallery=321927

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020708/ed.jpg

Derek Simonds
03-18-2008, 03:56 PM
That looks to be significantly more fun than Coach Rut's version. I will see if my wife is game for next years event. Palm Beach is only a couple of hours away.

Derek Simonds
03-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Wednesday March 19

D W/U
B W/U

Hang Snatch 45 X 3, 61 X 3, 71 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3
OHS 61 X 5, 81 X 4 X 2, 91 X 3
GM 61 X 10, 81 X 5, X 2, 91 X 4

P/U 5 X 5
1 Arm DB Press 30 X 5, 30 X 4 X 3

Bench 135 X 5, 145 X 4, 155 X 4, 165 X 4
HP/U 5, 4, 4, 3

Plank 45 Seconds X 4
Wood Choppers 10 Each Arm 36 16 KG KB X 4
2 X10 Plate Pinch DL W/ 5 second hold X 2 X 4

Back off today and Friday prepping for strength next week. Everything felt good no issues. Really stretched out the P/U's and didn't kip at all. OH stuff is feeling better just need to develop some real strength in the OHS.

Derek Simonds
03-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Thursday March 20

OH Shrug 45 X 12 X 3
BB Curl W, N, R 45 X 10 X 3

DB Shrug 45 X 10
DB Curl 30 X 6

Gymnastics hold with son. Practiced a bunch of parallette stuff and some handstands.

Derek Simonds
03-21-2008, 06:00 AM
March 21 Friday

Hang Clean 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 3 X 2
BS 125 X 5, 135 X 4, 145 X 4, 155 X 3
1RDL 36 KG X 5, 36 KG X 4 X 3

P/U 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
PJ 95 X 5 X 2, 105 X 4, 105 X 3

DB Incline 50 X 5, 50 X 4 X 2, 50 X 3
DB Shrug 50 X 5, 50 X 4 X 2, 50 X 3

Plank 45 Sec X 3
Seated Russian Twist 20 LB's X 20 X 3
OH S/U 20 LB's X 10 X 3

4 X 5 LB Plate Pinch X 5 Seconds X 3 L and 4 R

My body needed the rest this week. I am looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

Leo Soubbotine
03-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Derek,
We'll be having 1 Year anniversary next Saturday, Mar 29th.

We worked out a deal with where we live now about 2 months ago and it just happened to be scheduled on Apr 5th.

Is next sat good for you?

Derek Simonds
03-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Do you know the times yet? I have been inviting people so let me know the details. Jr has a meet on Saturday but I probably can arrange for Tracy to take him without me. Then after the meet they can meet us back at your place.

That date works perfect because we are going to be out of town for spring break the next week.

Leo Soubbotine
03-21-2008, 08:11 AM
9am - We'll kick off the CF Total
10 am - We'll start runnning the WOD
It should last till about noon.

Derek Simonds
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Saturday March 22

Whole bunch of movements working with my sister on her form.

180 LB Sandbag carry 100 M's

Just FWIW that was freaking insane. I am not so confident about the whole Rutman mile now. First you have to clean the bag which was interesting, then walk with it. WOW!

80.8 LB's .8 Mile in 12:55. I tried to increase the pace from Tuesday and it worked out OK. I can really feel the weight in my traps.

Allen Yeh
03-24-2008, 03:04 AM
What were the rules for the mile again? I can't recall off the top of my head. It's an anyhow carry right?

Derek Simonds
03-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Monday March 24

Happy Birthday Derek Jr (8 years old) Wow!

D W/U
B W/U

OHS 45 X 5, 85 X 2, 95 X 5 X 2, 105 X 2, 95 X 2
DL 135 X 5, 205 X 5, 225 X 5 X 3

Weighted P/U 5, + 10 X 5 X 2 P, X 5 X 2 C
PP 65 X 5, 115 X 5 X 4

DB Incline 50 X 5, 65 X 5 X 3
BB Row 115 X 5 X 4

Plank KTE 45 Sec's X 4
Russian Twist 20 LB's X 20 X 4
AMRAP D/U's 18, 10, 10

Tabata Single Unders 40 to 50 each interval 6 intervals

OHS weight on the legs no problem. Wrist flexibility and arm holding in that position were the limiting factors today. That should come back quickly. Did the DL's to see if I am going to be able to do the Crossfit total at Leo's place this weekend. They felt fine. Still nervous about the knee. Tabata S/U's were an easy way to ease into the tabata training protocol.

Allen the mile is an anyhow carry with a 15 second penalty if you put the weight down. Based on my Saturdays work if I am going to complete the mile I am going to have to do it without putting the weight down.

Allen Yeh
03-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Birthday workout in the works?

8 rounds of 8 exercises of 8 reps?

Allen Yeh
03-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Are you still trying to follow the Power Training template?

When we were looking for last minute Easter books (I know the young people are thinking...books for Easter...lame) I picked up the Power Training book.
I was thinking of doing the 3 day push/pull hypertrophy cycle for 9 weeks(uyntil memorial day). I've been debating in my head the merits of doing the full body or doing it the push pull method. Ideally I think for the push pull it's 4 times a week but I'd rather leave it at 3 times and throw in extra stuff on the other days. Like sub 20 minute metcons or sprints or a long run day. I like how every day has an explosive movement, that and the complexes at the beginning will be where I can get some Oly practice in.

Maybe mix it up by doing 3 weeks of push pull then 3 of full body then 3 of push pull? Any input you have would be great, I haven't read the book cover to cover yet, but I want to start day 1 today.

Derek Simonds
03-24-2008, 06:10 AM
For the last 4 weeks I did the 3 day a week full body hypertrophy workouts. There is a sample 3 weeks towards the back of the book. Even with the full body it is still broken down into a push pull focus for upper body. Lower body is 1 explosive, 1 knee dominant and 1 hip dominant movement each day.

FWIW it took me at least 90 minutes with a good warmup to get through the entire workout. This was with using my watch and staying very close to 60 to 90 seconds between sets. 90 seconds on the heavier squats and O/Lifts and 60 everywhere else. I supersetted all the upper body movements but not lower.

The only issue I had was that there were several exercises that I had never done before so the first time through I had to adjust the weights a lot to find the right numbers.

I liked the program a lot. I have made some pretty significant gains in total body strength using the template. I liked it so much that this next 4 weeks are a strength phase based on the same template. 2 days a week full body strength, no explosive and 2 days a week O/Lifting. I am also adding in gymnastics movements, tabatas, sprints and short met-cons similar to Gant's current approach. I am doing the met-con stuff to increase my fitness levels again now that my knee is almost back to normal.

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
now that my knee is almost back to normal.

Thats the best news yet today!!:)

Gant Grimes
03-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Derek, I saw your beginning numbers (~185 last year). Where are you now, and where are you trying to go?

I'm going to have to mod my program. Recovering from heavy deads is a bitch.

Derek Simonds
03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I didn't weigh in like normal this morning. Last I checked I was 192 lb's and 9% BF, that was sometime on Saturday. My goals have changed pretty significantly in the last 3 months. I attended the January O/Lift coaching certification that Greg taught here in FL. At the time my goals had been to continue with as much O/Lift training as I could while getting ready for a BJJ tournament in April.

Unfortunately the week after the seminar was when I picked up my pre-patella bursitis that turned into a staph infection that ultimately I am still battling today. The infection is gone but not all of the swelling. I am on a no contact order with my knee from my ortho until Wednesday. Hopefully I will be able to get back into the academy this week. I am dying to grapple, but realize that I am not going to be ready for the tournament.

Soooo all that being said the last six weeks I refocused on hypertrophy and mass gain. I have enjoyed the program I am on so much that I decided that I wanted to continue even after I was able to start O/Lifting again. Watching you, your program and what was said on the Danny thread I decided that I was going to incorporate O/Lifting, Strength and short Met-Cons. And that brings me to here.

My long term goals that I am working towards for the year are pretty achievable.

FS 250 working towards 300
BS 300 working towards 400 My BS and FS are only about 20 LB's apart right now at 215 and 235.
DL 400 working towards 500 I don't know how much over 300 I can pull. I haven't DL'ed in so long it is silly. I am doing a total at Leo's place on Saturday so I will have a good idea where I am on all these numbers.

Snatch 165 LB's (half way to BW Snatch from where I was in January) working towards BW
C&J 200 LB's working towards 250 LB's

All while maintaining a reasonable level of GPP. I really trained hard last year to get to a 3/4 BW snatch and a BW C&J. I made it with room to spare on the Snatch but just barely on C&J and it was kind of ugly. That was when I realized I am really lacking in the OH strength position.

I have been meaning to change the name of my log just haven't got around to it. I really haven't focused on mass gain lately up until the last 6 weeks. I can put on weight it just takes so much food that it wears me out. I leveled off pretty nicely at 190 ish with a fairly low BF% so I have just been going with that.

Derek Simonds
03-25-2008, 04:18 AM
Tuesday March 25

First O/Loft session since the training with Greg in January!

SN 61 X 3, 71 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3, 95 X 2, 105 X 1, 115 X 1, 125 X 1

C&J 95 X 3, 115 X 2, 125 X 2, 135 X 2, 145 X 1, 155 X 1

Lucy Sprints, I forgot I had dog duty this morning. I was going to row and tabata P/U's. Nope got to run with the dog. A brisk 46 degrees in Central FL. global warming, ha, it's the 25 of freaking March.

8 or 9 intervals in 20 minutes of work. I am going to need to change up this protocol as it isn't challenging any more at all. I think I will break it down to 200's, 400's, and 800's with a commiserate amount of rest on different days.

I was really pleased with my SN numbers even though the 125 was not the prettiest ever. My C&J went real well also. On the first 135 I did some kind of crazy jumping lunge when I put the weight overhead. It was pretty funny.

I could have done more work at the higher weights but I wanted to test out the knee and get a feel for where I am at right now. This was a great start.

Leo Soubbotine
03-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Dude,

Didn't you know that global warming will lead to ice cap collapsing thus sending the whole northern hemisphere back to Ice Age (failure of Gulfstream would be one of the main reasons).

Soooo... the scientist are just confusing us and it should've been called Global F&cking Freezing!

Derek Simonds
03-26-2008, 04:23 AM
Wednesday March 26

Happy Birthday Delaney, my daughter turns 6 today!

BS 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 165 X 5, 175 X 5, 180 X 2 (I lost count and stopped)
1 LRDL 36 KG KB in hand on same side as lifting leg 16 KG KB in other hand 5 X 4

Weighted P/U 5, +15 X 5, +15 X 5 (Tweaked neck on 4th rep), + 15 X 3
Weighted Dip + 15 X 5 X 3

After I tweaked my neck I called it a day. I foam rolled for about 10 minutes, iced for 10 minutes then walked the dog for 20 minutes. This is the third time in 2 years that I have done the same thing. It has happened the same way everytime. I am straining for one more rep and I thrust my chin over the bar. This morning I actually felt a pop and pain immediately in my levator scapula / middle trap area on the left hand side. It was so frustrating because I thought don't do that thing where you hurt your neck and then I did it. A classic example of how saying don't when you visualize something doesn't work.

A funny side note. Sprinting after O/Lifting will contribute to some sore calves the next day. I forgot how much the calves are involved in O/Lifts.

Derek Simonds
03-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Friday March 28

D W/U
B W/U

OH Shrug 45 LB BB 3 X 12
DB Curl 25 LB DB

Shrug 45 LB DB 3 X 12
BB Curl W, N. R 45 LB BB

Push Ups Plus on Parralettes 12, 10, 10
S/U's 3 X 20

B/E's 15, 12
Squats 12, 12

Just wanted to get up and moving and see how everything felt playing together. Pretty good overall. I am getting a massage tonight and will continue to ice throughout the day. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
03-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Saturday March 29

Big 1 Year Anniversary for Crossfit Evolution! Leo had a total cued up for today.

BS up to 242 PR
Press up to 132 PR
DL up to 337 PR

I tried 350 but as Arden said so well I didn't even get dust under it.

Lots of fun. On one of the lighter warmup BS I strained my lower back. Something very minor but it just goes to show you have to concentrate all the time under the weight.

Had to leave and haul butt to Jr's meet where he took 2nd overall, video to follow.

Afternoon

Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 4
Chin / P/U alternating sets 5 X 7

I wanted to get at least a little push and pull in from my workout I missed on Wednesday.

Allen Yeh
03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice PR's!

Garrett Smith
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Derek,
I don't see much joint mobility stuff (prehab) in your log anymore and within 4 days I see two strains (neck and back, like I needed to remind you). Make sure you're getting your nervous system up to snuff before the heavy weights!

Derek Simonds
03-30-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks Dr. G. I think I do more than most but probably not enough. I have a pretty good warm up that I just call D W/U which stands for Dynamic. Here is what it consists of.

Ankles rotation both directions
Wall slides
Arm circles both directions
Arm swings overhead
Arm swings forward and back
Leg swings forward and back
Leg swings side to side
Squat plus push knees out, extend lumbar and rock side to side to work ankles

Then I go immediately into my version of the Burgener W/U which starts with shoulder dislocates and then into a kind of halo movement both ways with the rod I am using for dislocates.

Throughout the day I do the thorassic mobility movements you taught me. If you see anything else I need to add let me know.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Monday March 31

D W/U

OHS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 4

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 245 X 3 X 3, 295 X 1

P/U X 5, 1 P/U + 25 LB's X 4, C/U X 5
PP 65 X 5, 115 X 5 X 3, 125 X 5

DB Incline 50 X 5, 65 X 5 X 4
BB Row 125 X 5 X 4

OHS's still trying to find the comfort spot for them. At SN width lots more pressure and discomfort in the wrists but really working to stay as close to that as I can. Dl's were good. I am going to rep in an out of the weighted P/U's and only do singles. PP were good work on getting head through faster. DB incline work but probably can go up next week.

I have a 4:30 AM departure time tomorrow so no O/Lofting. Wednesday morning I will be in Shreveport, and Thursday back here so 2 more solid workouts before I head off to the beach with the kids.

I have 9 more months this year and to hit my goals I need to add 58 LB's to my BS and 63 LB's to my DL. That means roughly 6 LB's per month BS and 7 LB's per month DL. Seems doable. I am going to push hard and see where I am each month. Same way Greg does with the Saturday lifting.

Gant Grimes
03-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Nice job on the PRs! Your goals are within your reach. Just keep eating.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2008, 10:17 AM
http://i28.tinypic.com/2edsbx3.jpg

Picture of my 242 Squat from Leo's website. Lots of other pictures up there. www.crossfitevolution.com

Derek Simonds
04-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Wednesday April 2

Shreveport LA. Got lost on the way to the gym and drove around for 30 minutes trying to find it. Dope!

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5, 180 X 5 X 2, 180 X 3, 190 X 3, 210 X 1

1 LRDL 55 X 6, 65 X 5, 75 X 5 X 2

P/U 6, 6, 6, 6 C, 6 NGC
Bench 135 X 5, 165 X 5 X 4

DB P Neutral Grip 35 X 5, 40 X 5 X 3
DB Row 60 X 5 X 4

On the BS a couple of times towards the end of each set my back went to far forward. I will stay at this weight next week and focus on technique. 1 LRDL with DB's more range of motion but no problem with the weights.

Good workout after I found the gym. Not traveling as much as usual so I forgot some of the craziness you see at commercial gyms.

Derek Simonds
04-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Wednesday April 3rd

Got in late last night and got a lot less sleep than normal. First time O/Lifting after BS. It made things more interesting.

SN 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3, 97 X 3, 107 X 2, 117 X 1 X 2, 127 X 1

C&J 95 X 3, 115 X 2, 125 X 2, 135 X 2, 147 X 1, 157 X 1

My foot work in the C&J left a little to be desired. My jerks were clean and felt better than they normally do. The feet just were not cooperating the way I wanted them to.

Leo Soubbotine
04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Looking strong man!

I'm not sure if you'd be interested ;) yet it looks like there'll be a CF Evolution II @ Lake Fairview, Lee Road with showers.
It's in the works right now.

And I got myself a road bike!

Derek Simonds
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Friday April 4

Ran with my sister at the beach. Wow she has turned into a machine. We ran a 1.25 mile warmup at a 7:20 pace. That was supposed to be a warmup?

Training was 4 1/4 mile all out sprints. The first one was 1:21 which is a new PR the next three all were around 1:30 and the last one I was toast at 1:10 and just slogged through for the finish.

Amazing. I have been running shorter sprints but they didn't have me prepared for 1/4's.

Derek Simonds
04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Monday April 7

WTF I got up at 4:00 AM to workout. One of my guys caught some really bad flu and has a 102 degree fever so he can't get make his gig this week so I am catching an early flight to Huntsville.

D W/U

OHS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3, 100 X 3 I think I did more but lost track of sets on the 95's.

DL 100 X 5, 225 X 5, 250 X 3 X 3, 300 X 1

6 P/U's, 3 X 1 + 27.5 LB's, 1 + 30 LB's, 6 C/U's
PP 45 x 5, 115 x 5 x 2, 120 x 5 x 2

Out of time so got to head out.

Derek Simonds
04-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Tuesday April 8

All in my hotel room

D W/U

Lots of stretching and movement in my hotel room.

4 sets of 3 Handstand P/U's almost all of them were nose to floor. I noticed that the last rep of each set I tended to sway my upper back more then first ones.

4 sets of 20 S/U's

Some Push Ups

Derek Simonds
04-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Wednesday April 9

Really, Really Really Dynamic W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3 X 4

1LRDL 26 KG X 5, 36 KG X 5 X 3

P/U 7, 7, 7, 7C, 7C
Bench 135 X 5, 170 X 5 X 4

Press 95 X 5 X 3
Row 95 X 5 X 3

I am getting closer to finding the right numbers for my rep scheme. This was a great workout today. Fast and Hard.

Leo Soubbotine
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey Derek,

Good news!

We'll be doing an inhouse WL meet instead of going out to the WL competition. We have to go to Atlanta, GA for the CF business seminar (5 day) on 27th and there's no way in hell I'll be doing a meet a day prior.

April 26th @ CF evolution 10 am - mini WL meet. We also got new t-shirts yesterday! All sizes in Blue black and grey (pic on our site in news).

No singlets necesary of course for our meet (and those bastards don't have any in Sports Authority local).

If yuo can make it let me know!

Derek Simonds
04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Friday April 11

Best hotel workout I have had in forever. I was out in LA for a couple of parties.

All upper body all supersetted.

DB Incline
Rocky Decline S/U's

PP
Pull Downs

Curls
Triceps Press Down

B/E
DB Rows

Fast and furious I was in and out in about 30 minutes. All the pretty muscles got a workout and I worked even worked the posterior chain a little.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Tuesday April 15 Knoxville TN

D W/U

OHS 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 95 X 3 X 2, 105 X 3 X 2

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 255 X 3 X 3, 305 X 1 X 2

P/U 7, 7, 7, 7C, 7C
PP 45 X 5, 115 X 5, 45 DB's X 5, 95 X 5, 47.5 DB's X 5

Bench 135 X 5, 165 X 5 X 4
Row 55 X 5, 60 X 5 X 3

Ok so I am in the middle of my P/U's and PP super set and I am on the P/U bar and this trainer walks over strips the weight off the bar I am using and has his client start using the bar and rack where I was. I walked back over and said hey man all my gear is on the floor right there just so you know. I wasn't trying to give him a hard time I just wanted him to know that my phone and wallet were there next to the rack. He says no problem do you want to work in with us. I said no I would use DB's.

I am sporting my Crossfit Evolution T-Shirt and as I am walking away I heard him explaining what Crossfit was and what he thought I was doing. As I came back again from P/U's he says where did you do Crossfit? I thought for a second and said all over the country. As I was thinking about it I realized that I have visited Crossfit gyms in all 4 corners of US, Portland, LA, DC and FL. He asked me if his description was accurate, which it was sort of and I replied that it was as good of a place to start as any. It was pretty funny as him and his client watched me rep out my P/U and PP set.

Great workout but I am still so smoked from my LA trip that I can hardly see straight.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Wednesday April 16

D W/U
B W/U

This was more a get up and get moving technique workout than anything else.

SN 45 X 2, 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 95 X 1 X 5, 115 X 1 X 4

C&J 115 X 1 X 5, 135 X 1 X 5

And that is was all she wrote. I am having a terrible time getting back adjusted to EST. I will post some links to a couple of photo's from the party.

Allen Yeh
04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
At least he wasn't going "see he's cheating on his pullups..." heh.

Derek Simonds
04-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Funny that you say that. I was actually doing dead hangs in this rotation. Kipping comes back next cycle with hypertrophy.

I did throw a little kip in on the last one just for effect ;)

Derek Simonds
04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Thursday April 17

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 190 X 3 X 4
Very pleased with the BS progress. Out of all the reps I only felt out of position on the the 3rd rep of the 3rd set other than that I was very happy.

RDL 185 X 5 X 4

Press 95 X 5 X 4
P/U 7, +30 X 1 X 3, +35 X 1

DB Incline 65 DB's X 5 X 4
BB Row 100 X 5, 6, 7, 8

Everything felt really really good. I am still tired and had a hard time getting up but once I was moving felt great. I think I am going to shoot for reps with 200 next week on the BS.

Today was one of those days where you just feel strong. I always welcome them when they happen.

Derek Simonds
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I mentioned some photos from the party. Here are a couple of links and a picture of my wife with the actress from that 70's show.

http://i25.tinypic.com/33oqrn5.jpg

www.globephotos.com/dynevent-action-nl.do?eventid=311820&orderby=asc&hmessage=GRANT+CARDONE%27S+50TH+BIRTHDAY+CELEBRATI ON+%26+BOOK+LAUNCH+PARTY+FOR+%22SELLING%3A+THE+SEC RET+TO+SUCCESS%22+PRIVATE+LOCATION%2C+HOLLYWOOD+HI LLS%2C+CA++04%2F12%2F08 (http://www.globephotos.com/dynevent-action-nl.do?eventid=311820&orderby=asc&hmessage=GRANT+CARDONE%27S+50TH+BIRTHDAY+CELEBRATI ON+%26+BOOK+LAUNCH+PARTY+FOR+%22SELLING%3A+THE+SEC RET+TO+SUCCESS%22+PRIVATE+LOCATION%2C+HOLLYWOOD+HI LLS%2C+CA++04%2F12%2F08")

http://www.wireimage.com/ItemListings.aspx?igi=312646&nbc1=1

Sorry I couldn't remember how to make the links look pretty. I googled it and tried what I found and it didn't work.

Stan Lee is a pretty cool dude.

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
It is so cool to meet another Orangutan Human. I'm 5'10" and I'm sporting a 76+" wingspan. Couple that with weighing 255 and I may be diagnosed as more of a silverback Human.

You are a heckuva lot leaner than me. I'm a cow.

All the best,
Arden

36 YOM, 6' 1", 185.5 LB's, Orangutan Arms with a 79" wing spread
BF % from an Ironman scale is 8.6% on athletic and 16.1% on normal person. I know that they are both wrong. My best WAG is around 12% I can see my abs but they are not standing out looking ripped and the only area on my entire body with any extra fat is right on my belly.