PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

R. Alan Hester
09-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey man don't sell me short that was a 3rd in the adult division a 2nd in the senior open division and a 3rd in the senior no-gi.

The constant matches were tough! I will be better prepared on November 8th.

Alan it is only typical if you compete in three different divisions like a meathead. The other reason I fought back to back was we had an odd number of competitors and I drew the rat tail (wrestling term I think) to see who would advance to the first round with an even number of competitors.

Most of the guys I train with only compete gi or no-gi in their division. If you did that it would limit the amount of matches. The last tournament I was at they took all the blue belts in a couple of divisions and had them compete all the way through the first bracket then went back to the bottom and did it again for the next round. That way everyone had plenty of time between matches.

Ah, I got it, Derek. Thanks.

BTW, are there any BJJ schools in Orlando that are drop-in friendly? I will be down that way in January for a Trade Show, and would like to take some classes at night.

Derek Simonds
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
The school I train at is fantastic (Gracie Barra Orlando). Plus if I am around and you want to do a semi-private with one of my instructors I would split it with you just to get on the mat and workout.

Let me know when you are coming and I will set you up with the right people to talk to even if I am on the road for some reason.

What trade show?

R. Alan Hester
09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
The school I train at is fantastic (Gracie Barra Orlando). Plus if I am around and you want to do a semi-private with one of my instructors I would split it with you just to get on the mat and workout.

Let me know when you are coming and I will set you up with the right people to talk to even if I am on the road for some reason.

What trade show?

Sounds great, Derek. I appreciate your kindness. I would like to do a semi-private with you. Do we have to go shirtless? Just kidding. As the time comes closer, I will send you a tickler.

I will be there for the SHOT Show (http://www.shotshow.org/App/homepage.cfm?moduleid=1968&appname=100300) as an exhibitor from 15 Jan-18 Jan. I will be in the tactical section, as that is my company's niche market, though it is global.

Derek Simonds
09-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Gi, T-Shirt or Rash Guard work just fine. As we get closer just post in here or email me and I will make arrangements. I look forward to it. If you really want to get crazy Leo's gym is not too far from the trade show either. We could sneak over there for a workout....

Derek Simonds
09-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Tuesday September 23

D W/U

BS 45 X5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 5

Press 45 X 5, 65 X 5 X 5

Pendlay Row 65 X 5, 95 X 5 X 5

AMRAP in 5 minutes of

5 kipping P/U's
5 clapping push ups

6 rounds not excellent but finding my pace, actually pretty slow.

BB Shrug 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3
Good Morning 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

LCC&J 16 KG KB switching hands every 30 seconds. 5 minutes total work I averaged 6 reps per hand per 30 seconds at least sometimes up to 8 reps.

Everything was performed with a minimal amount of rest. At most 1:30 I was pushing the pace the entire time. In fact I might have pushed a little too hard for my partner. I hope he makes it back in the morning. He was zonked when he left.

Allen Yeh
09-23-2008, 04:53 AM
Talking about shirtless and ticklers......

Derek Simonds
09-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Talking about shirtless and ticklers......

Nice! You had to go and bust out the whole "If you don't look them in the eye thing"

Derek Simonds
09-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Tuesday September 23

MMA I led the W/U and included jumping to guard. Apparently Fabio didn't get the memo since he had us finish with 30 jumping to guard. Oof. It was all about takedowns. Takedowns and more takedowns. Good for me but physically draining. I was spent after an hour. We ended by playing monkey in the middle where your opponent got to get either a single, double or double underhooks and then they tried to take you down and you had to fight out of it. Loads of fun.

No-Gi drilled on surfing from side control and feeding your hand back through upside down so that you can just slide to the other side. Then we did a move where you pulled your opponent into a triangle from north south by feeding your leg through and submitting with a kimura. Very interesting. Played more monkey in the middle with open guard then grappled for 15 minutes straight no break just switch partners whenever but no stopping.

I was exhausted and my hands just ache. I went straight home and iced them, which is very painful btw.

Derek Simonds
09-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Wednesday September 24

I am so dang tired it was a butt dragging workout.

Snatch yep I did that. didn't even record the numbers or reps but a did a lot at a little bit of weight. Only worked up to 81 LB's My grip on both hands just hurts way too much to hold the bar good.

C&J did that to. Worked up to 95 LB's and did all kinds of reps power and full.

Finished with 21, 15, 9 explosive 20 LB MB S/U's with throws.

Icing my hands again right now.

Derek Simonds
09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Thursday September 25

Got up and took Lucy for a 2 mile walk this morning. Threw on the 40 LB Vest grabbed a leash and headed out. The walk was great except there is something about the pressure from the vest and walking that brings about an urgent need for my morning constitutional if I haven't already taken care of business. So 1 mile in I looped home and hit the head and went back out to keep moving. Total time walking 30 minutes.

6 Neck Bridges X 2
Plank X 1 minute X 2

Derek Simonds
09-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Thursday September 25

MMA: Fabio had a gleam in his eye last night and called for us to get out our boxing gloves. We did a version of monkey in the middle where one of the guys had on the boxing gloves and was in the person on the bottoms guard. You got a new opponent every minute. The person with the gloves on was in for 5 minutes. With the gloves you can punch anywhere on the body and you have to control the bottom person and try and pin them against the cage. When you are the bottom guy you can punch to the body, sweep, submit or scramble to your feet to escape. If you accomplish any of these you reset back to guard and keep going.

I caught the third punch with my eye. Very nicely if I might say so myself. I really enjoyed this drill and it makes me realize how much better a grappler I am then a MMA practitioner. When it was my turn to punch I really went after it. I did get caught in a very nice armbar that I tapped to but he thought I was punching until I yelled TAP! Very Very sore this morning.

No-Gi: Warmed up with grappling (which I love) then did the same crazy triangle from north south to kimura as Tuesday. We also did the really nasty version of the kimura where you give up the figure four grip and go with a palm to palm grip and then pull it into their neck. If you don't know this trick learn it as it is deadly.

Grappled three times and had three very good rolls.

Derek Simonds
09-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Friday September 26

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

OHS 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 95 X 5 X 5

Incline DB Bench 40 X 8 X 3
DB Row 40 X 8 X 3

Sprints 10 X 100 with 1 minute rest total time a total time of 12:43

I really had to think about what to do today as my left elbow is throbbing. It is funny when you start to do different lifts and you realize how closely tied our body parts are.

All in all good work for as rough as I feel.

Derek Simonds
09-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Friday September 26 Evening

All Levels: I got there early watched a private in Portugese. I still learned a lot just watching. I partnered up with one of the guys and grappled for about 25 minutes. I told him right up front all I was going to do was work sweeps no submissions. I really need to do this more often. Sweeps are not the strongest part of my game.

Worked a great takedown with a leg sweep and then a way to finish it if your opponent postures up by pivoting in and reaping the leg.

Worked several different variants of the good ole scissors sweep. Did one version where you do it from open guard. Which I had never seen before.

Did not stay for competition class as I am just absolutely beat.

Saturday September 27

Lucy walk for 20 minutes with 40 LB Vest. Then 4 waiters walks with vest and 16 KG KB 50 M's alternating sides. Neck bridges 3 X 7 and 3 by 1 minute planks. Lots of stretching.

Sunday September 28

Lucy walk for 30 minutes with 40 LB vest.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Monday September 29

D W/U

BS 45 X5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5 X 5 (Possibly a PR for reps X sets)

Press + DJ Lockouts 45 X 5, 75 X 5 X 5

Pendlay Row 65 X 5, 115 X 5 X 5

BB Shrug + GM 45 X 5, 115 X 5 X 3

LCC&J 16 KG KB X 6 minutes switching hands every 30 seconds. Maintained 6 reps per arm per 30 seconds.

Good workout. Did not do P/U's so they will be in tomorrow with the O/Lifts. The BS's felt pretty darn good. Only going up 5 LB's next week on squats.

Derek Simonds
10-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Tuesday September 30 AM

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
B W/U

SN 45 X 4, 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3 X 2, 81 X 3

Grace with almost man weight 115 LB's

30 reps in 6:40

First 15 reps were in 2:40 and I thought under 5 was in sight then I blew up. I didn't know if I was going to crap myself or puke around 20 reps. I pushed it about as hard as I could. Two more weeks of O/Lifting then I am making a run at 135 LB's.

Planks 3 X 1 Minute
C/U's 5 X 4

Tuesday September 30 PM

MMA: Worked all bad positions from bottom against the cage. 3 minute rounds fighting off the bottom. Really truly a crappy thing to be pinned against the cage and having to fight up.

No-Gi: We worked one defensive position where you circle the leg over the head and push off the chest to move to the other side by shrimping your hips. Anthony one of our champion black belts showed his method for getting the omoplata and it was brilliant. The key is to explode your leg over the head and pin the arm to the floor on the other side. I have never had it explained the way he did and it just made total sense. Grappled hard for three 6 minute rounds and had a blast. Totally exhausted, I don't know why.

Derek Simonds
10-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Wednesday October 1

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

DL 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5 X 4

C/U X 5 X 5
DB Incline Bench 40 X 8, 50 X 8 X 4

Plank KTE holding knee in place for 5 seconds 3 X 1 Minute
BB Curl 45 X 10 X 3
Neck Bridge 8 X 3

DL's were heavy but not deadly. I am pretty much beat today. First time in a while that I worked out heavy three days in a row. Looking forward to tomorrow's recovery day.

Derek Simonds
10-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Wedensday October 1

BJJ Fundamentals: All the kids had stuff planned for early evening so I snuck in to get a little mat time. I figured I could at least find a partner to roll with before class but none of the regulars showed up early enough to get in any real work. Fundamentals was well fundamental. Fun as always just to be on the mat.

Derek Simonds
10-02-2008, 04:20 AM
Thursday October 2

Got a 95 minute massage last night, Oh Yeah.

This morning 35 minutes walking Lucy. threw in 4 200 M'ish sprints more for her then for me. Nice recovery. Shoulder is really sore from lifting last three days.

Derek Simonds
10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Thursday October 2 PM

MMA: Very good class on working from the guard and swimming the arms inside. There were a whole lot of positions to work to just by swimming your hands inside and locking down one elbow. From there we worked a triangle, straight armbar and a sweep. the hardest of the three was the sweep.

My body is just beat down so I skipped No-Gi and came home and ate 4 HUGE tacos with Jr and Tracy.

Derek Simonds
10-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Friday October 3

It's High Gravity Friday!

20 Minute Lucy walk + 40 LB Vest

5 Rounds for time of all + 40 LB Vest

PU, CU, PU, CU, CU
30 Second Plank
5 20" Box Jumps
5 Push Ups
40 Meter Sprint
6 Sit Ups

For time means to at least look at your watch. I totally forgot to check the time. Oh well. Out of the above I am weakest at the weighted P/U's, the planks had the highest level of suckage and the push ups were difficult but manageable.

I plan on adding reps and rounds next week. This was a good workout but not completely crushing.

Derek Simonds
10-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Saturday October 4

17 Minutes of Lucy walk and 100 M runs (not quite a sprint but way faster then a jog). 7 run intervals total.

OALCC&J 16 KG KB 7:35 Minutes switched hands every 10 reps total of 80 reps. Next time I will get to 100.

21 24 KG KB Swings

25 LB DB Curls X 12 X 3
45 LB DB Shrugs X 12 X 3

Nice little workout and off to flag football and cheerleading.

Derek Simonds
10-06-2008, 04:22 AM
Monday October 6

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

BS 45 X5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 170 X 5 X 5

Press + DJ Lockout 65 X 5, 85 X 5 X 3

GM 65 X 5, 125 X 5 X 3

5 Clapping Push Ups + 5 Barbell Shrugs + 5 Pendlay Rows
65 X 5, 125 X 5 X 3

24 KG KB Swings 30 seconds work 30 seconds rest 5 minutes total 14 swings per interval

Good workout overall. The GM's suck, or I suck at them or I hate them or something so I will keep doing them to get better. BS's felt really good especially with less of a warm up. They were still very hard but 175 should be manageable next week.

Derek Simonds
10-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Tuesday October 7

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Row 2:30
B W/U

I guess my partner isn't showing so I need to get at it.

SN 45 X 4, 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3, 95 X 3 X 2

C&J 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 135 X 3 X 2
Squat Clean 135 X 2

3 rounds of
5 each arm 24 KG KB C&J
P/U's

DB Curls 25 X 12, 30 X 10 X 2
Plank KTE's 4 per side 5 second hold 40 seconds total work

Grace as RX'ed looks a ways off right now. My push jerk with 135 was weak. I will continue to work on it but doubt I will make a run at it in 2 weeks. I am going to need to change up my days of training. O/Lifting after my Monday workout isn't going to work long term. I am too beat up. My entire PC is screaming today. Ideally I would do Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I am going to talk with Andy and find out if that will work. I know he has a commitment Thursday mornings but I am going to need to change this for my sake. I will meet him one other morning where I could work met-con while he trains.

Leo Soubbotine
10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Train less, eat more.

Cut out all the little things and push a linear progression 3x week.
Go up to 225 lbs!

Derek Simonds
10-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Train less, eat more.

Cut out all the little things and push a linear progression 3x week.
Go up to 225 lbs!

Good advice!

Derek Simonds
10-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Tuesday October 7 PM

MMA: Worked fighting off your back and how to pass when someone is fighting off their back. Lots of getting up and down. Kind of like work. Finished with a calf crusher which is always a crowd favorite.

No-Gi: We had several new faces on the mat tonight. One guy was from a traditional JJ school, one was visiting from Eugene OR and the third grappled somewhere else that they worked lots of heel hooks (don't know where). We grappled the entire time. Warmed up, started rolling at 40% for 3 3 minute rounds then went right to guard work and monkey in the middle. Huge class so we had 5 guys on the mat and were constantly getting new opponents.

Finished with 4 6 minute rounds of grappling with 1 minute break. Yes I was exhausted. Great class though and I love getting that much time on the mat.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Thursday October 8

MMA: Worked from half guard entire time. Two submissions, straight arm lock and triangle. Also worked sweep if the top person under hooks your top arm. Lots of fun.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Friday October 9

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Zercher Squats 65 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 4, 155 X 1

B/E +25 X 5, +45 X 5 X 3

Incline Bench 45 X 8, 50 X 8 X 2, 65 X 6 all res with a 1 second pause at extension

Kipping P/U's 4 X 5

Tabata Thrusters 3 Minutes started with 95 LB's way too much made it through 2 rounds and thought I was going to die. Switched to 65 LB's and had 6 reps per work interval. Very sucky.

Allen Yeh
10-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Thrusters just suck anyway....95# tabatas would be horrible.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Thrusters just suck anyway....95# tabatas would be horrible.

Yeah you tell me this now. Holy crappiness!

Allen Yeh
10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
95# tabata FS's are awful. Nevermind the pressing part.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Just 95# tabata FS's are awful. Nevermind the pressing part.

Like I said you keep telling me this stuff just a few hours too late.........

When I got done with the 65 LB tabata's I just went right to the ground. No movement other than trying to get my breath. It was crazy.

Derek Simonds
10-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Saturday October 11

Very short on time so.

1 mile fast dog walk

D W/U

Ec Foam rolling

DL 45 x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 255 x 1, 275 x 5, 285 x 5 x 3

bb curls 45 x 12 x 3

Off to flag football and cheerleading more to come later.

Blair Lowe
10-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Tabatha thruster/FS? Were you able to maintain some semblance of decent FS form to keep the rack? Ouch.

For GM and StiffLegDL, I found the days afterwards really sucked. I think it's because each rep takes quite a bit of time some time under tension is a lot which means loads of DOMS.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2008, 03:11 AM
On the 65 LB's no problem. The 95's were another story. The bar was pretty much in my hands instead of on my shoulders.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Saturday October 11 BJJ

Worked from the half guard / half open guard where someone has an underhook on your leg and an over on the other side and is going for the pass. The defense we were working against was when you thread your outside leg through to the hip and push. All the moves were variants of grabbing the leg backing up just a little and spinning around into side control. The key was to make sure that your lat was right across their chest.

We did three different moves with this with the last one being pulling your opponent into back control.

Lots of fun. Finished with three minutes on top and three minutes on the bottom from half guard.

The kids had a blast and really worked hard also.

Here is the video from yesterday's flag football and cheerleading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o19kMBhgJV4

Delaney is really getting the cheering down but when I moved over to video her she got bashful. Jr's team lost again. He is finding it very different to be tied to the results of other individuals as a team. We talked about how in gymnastics he can control his own destiny but when you are on a team you have to act like a team, be a good team mate and perform at your best no matter what the final score. Very interesting discussion.

Derek Simonds
10-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Monday October 13

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 155 X 1, 175 X 5 X 5 (PR for total reps across at a weight)

Press + DJ Lockout 65 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

GM 65 X 5, 115 X 5 X 3
Clapping Push Ups 5, 5, 6, 6

BB Shrug 115 X 5 X 3
Chin Ups 6 X 4

Planks 3 X 1 minute focusing on really tightening my entire body

Derek Simonds
10-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Tuesday October 14

Nice walk with Lucy. Put on the 40 LB Vest and headed out. We went a different route today and it took 34 minutes. Got home did some foam rolling and now heading off to work.

Derek Simonds
10-15-2008, 04:03 AM
Tuesday October 14

MMA: Worked a circuit tonight of all kinds of different punching, kicking, sprawl, shooting, stations. Pretty dang demanding. My low kicks are starting to come together nicely. Lots of pop tonight. finished with a technique where someone tries bump and roll out of the mount and you let then and take their back. Pretty fun.

No-Gi: Hard W/U and then some solid half guard techniques. All working around the pass. I did however work on my brabo choke a little and got that cleaned up really nicely. In grappling I got my left elbow caught in one of those bent arm locks where you pull it across the body and instead of grabbing the hips I tried to pull through and the guy wrenched the shit out of my arm. The tendinosis I had was bad enough let alone this. Grappled with my buddy Wes and he has progressed tremendously. I did however get a major nice sweep from the closed guard. And lastly I grappled with a really nice visitor from up near Johnson City TN who had solid technique. A great night other than the major pain in my elbow. My conditioning and strength has surpassed my technique I think.

In evaluating my grappling I have a few go to moves and I have focused on them for the last couple of months. I am not going to change my focus but I need to be aware of where my opportunities are.

Submissions
1) Triangle - Guard open or closed
2) Armbar - Any offensive position
3) Margarida Choke - Any top position
4) Gi collar chokes - Guard this is more a stall then an actual attack.

Sweeps
1) Scissors
2) The armbar sweep (I don't really know the names)
3) Open guard sweep where they post their foot and you pull the ankle under while pushing with your knee.
4) I use a ton of random sweeps from open guard and feel most comfortable there.

These really are my go to moves. I am comfortable with the game it gives me as I have worked on it for a while. I am going to start adding some additonal variants for submissions and sweeps.

Derek Simonds
10-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Wednesday October 15

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
B W/U

Power Snatch 45 X 5, 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 95 X 3 X 3

C&J P 95 X 5, P 115 X 5, P 135 X 2, 135 X 3, P 135 X 2

B/E = 25 X 6, + 45 X 6 X 3
OH S/U 20 Med Ball 12 X 4

Dog Arsed Tired today.

Derek Simonds
10-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Wednesday October 15 PM

trained with a buddy Rafael for about an hour. We just worked on sweeps, guard passes and things of that nature. It was good. We warmed up with some grappling and then got to it.

Thursday October 16

Lucy walk for 12 minutes with 40 LB Vest. I have potential clients coming in from Canada today so I am heading into work early to make sure everything is perfect.

http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=15685

Derek Simonds
10-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Thursday October 16 PM

MMA We worked circuits of different actions starting with low leg kicks working all the way through combos. In sparring I cracked a guy in the quad with a muay thai kick and he went down. Man down! I felt horrible. I had even worked with the guy before sparring on blocking kicks and moving. It was probably only about a 35% kick. We then worked from the guard on passing.

No-Gi All half guard all the time lately. I need the work on half guard but man I suck at the bottom position. I need to learn some sweeps and just start drilling them all the time. I can scramble and I can regain open or full guard pretty well, just no high percentage sweeps. Grappling was great. I went 7 minutes with one of our pro MMA guys and it was on like donkey kong. Afterwards we were both spent. I rested a round then went one more 7 minute round with a friend of mine and really worked on position and control. I was able to pull off quite a few subs tonight. In my first match I had a triangle sunk tight, in fact he was gurgling and he got out of it by standing and twisting around so he was facing the opposite way. Nodoby has ever done that before to me. I am going to learn that move and the counter to it.

Derek Simonds
10-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Friday October 17

I woke up at 5:00 this morning with no alarm and was tired but couldn't sleep anymore. Before I got out of bed I checked my RHR and it was 60. That is not too out of whack for me so I wasn't overly concerned about overtraining / under reccovering.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 4

DL 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 275 X 5, 290 X 5 X 3 (PR!)

DB Incline Bench 40 X 8, 50 X 6, 65 X 5 X 2 (PR!)

Pendlay Rows 135 X 5 X 4 (PR!)

Yep that is three PR's out of 4 lifts today. The Pendlay Rows felt absolutely light. I think it was completely a mental thing after grabbing the bar so many times on the DL at a lot higher weights. Don't care why it was light but I will take it! I wish my squat felt as solid as my DL did. I look at other lifters whose squats are close to their DL's and I am just amazed.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12608&st=0

Derek Simonds
10-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Friday October 17 PM

BJJ Competition Class: Drilled half guard passes. Same kind of stuff that we did the whole week. Main one was where you end up not being able to pass on the near side and you spin over and pass on the opposite side.

Did the line drill where one side stays the same and one side moves over an opponent every 3 minutes. We did that for maybe like 40 minutes. I beat / subbed the people I was supposed to and got beat by the guys that were supposed to beat me. This is a such a great class as we have 5 black belts that regularly attend this class and train with everybody. As a one strip blue belt I was one of the lower ranked guys on the mat. How cool is that.

I did get hit really hard in the nose and I didn't know that it was busted and I was bleeding. There was blood on my gi and the guy I was grappling with but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from as I was lying on my back so the blood was draining into my throat. Ended up being really disgusting when I sat up and had a throat full of bloody snot.

Derek Simonds
10-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Saturday October 18

Carlos Gracie Jr and Marcio Feitosa Seminar

It is always cool having Carlos at the academy but adding in Marcio Feitosa and it is pretty dang overwhelming. They were really open and very interested in sharing with us. Marcio led the warmup and we probably had 80 guys and girls on the mat.

Takedowns:

First takedown was the traditional leg sweep with a new twist. Instead of stepping forward with the near side leg you step across with the opposite side leg and push them backward. When they step back you immediately step forward again and do the traditional sweep. Amazingly this little change made a huge difference in the success of the takedown. One thing Carlos pointed out was that the reaping leg never touches the ground when we are bringing it back through for the takedown.

Second takedown was a variant on the single leg. The way you initiate it is to act like you are pulling guard. As soon as the other guy posts his leg to create space if you pull guard you reach down and grab the leg while keeping your head inside their body, not outside and pull it up between your thighs. Once there squeeze your legs tight and use your arms and head to control their upper body. You can back up to get them off balance then while still squeezing their leg between your legs you go to your knees and wrap up both legs for the double leg takedown. This reaaly felt like a high percentage move that I will work with a lot.

Techniques:

First technique was working for side mount when your opponent turtles on you and has one arm outside your leg. When they do this you push down with your hand on the back of their neck and swim the other hand in under their arm around your leg and figure four the hand on top of the head. Once you have that control move around to their other side while pulling their head over and back so that they roll to their back and you can take side mount. Key points are push hard on the back of their head so it goes to the mat and to anticipate where their arms are going to be when you roll them over into side mount. This allows you to get the most control from the position. Marcio pointed out that you must have an underhook when on top or your opponent could escape to your back.

Now that we have that position (100 Kilo) the ideal is one arm held by the back of the tricep and the other arm behind your head with your hand on that side on your ear blocking their arm. The two moves from there were the keylock if they tried to escape their hand from behind your head or the step over armbar. The key details here were to immediately go for the keylock as soon as they start to escape their arm. Another point was as the person tried to escape their near side arm, setting up the armbar to let your fingers slide from the triceps to the elbow and when you step over your hand is actually the fulcrum that is putting the pressure directly on the elbow.

The beauty of these two moves were that they fed into each other. Once you have the position chill and make your opponent feel uncomfortable and try to escape an arm. As soon as that happens attack. If you attack with the leg over armbar and they defend with their opposite hand attack the hand for the keylock. If they just try to escape the near side arm attack it with the armbar.

Last technique was when your opponent does a big bridge and escapes the near side arm by pulling it below your hips. At that point you let them start to turn into you post your free hand and you step over their head while pulling their arm tight into your body. Once you step over immediately grab their pants with your open hand and bring your foot that is now behind their head close to their back and sit while squeezing your knees together for the spinning armbar. Key points here is to stay tight the entire time. If you give them space they will escape.

The two takedowns were worth the price of admission for me! It also reminded me how much I like 100 Kilo position. I look forward to drilling these moves this week.

LOTS OF PICTURES TO FOLLOW.

Leo Soubbotine
10-18-2008, 05:10 PM
We're already starting to prep for the strongman.

Sean pulled 330x10 in 60 seconds today! Chris did 242 for 21, Antonio and John pulled 220 for about 20-25 reps sumo style (just for variety).

Plus we push pressed and snatched/clean&jerked heavy.

Derek Simonds
10-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Tell Sean I said he is an animal!

Derek Simonds
10-21-2008, 06:14 AM
October 21 Tuesday

I traveled a ton yesterday. I mean a ton. Got up at 4:00 am flew to Dallas did two meetings in the Dallas area then drove to Shreveport LA. Wow that was a long day.

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 160 X 1, 180 X 5 X 5 (Another PR for sets across)

Press + DJ Lockout 70 X 5, 100 X 5 X 3 (I am pretty sure that this is a PR for sets across)

GM 75 X 5, 120 X 5 X 3

BB Shrug 120 X 8 X 3

Plank 1 Minute X 2

BB Crush 45 X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Flexor 45 X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Extensor 45 X 2, 30 X 5, 20 X 10 X 3

Apparently my extensors are significantly weaker then my flexors! I am going to do these exercises plus plate pinches two to three times a weak.

My upper body is just trashed right now. My right wrist is screaming in pain. It was so bad I couldn't even do regular pushups with my GM's. My left elbow is still just plain achy so I skipped the P/U's with the BB Shrugs. I think I am going to finish this week as best as I can and then next week I am going to only squat! Then I am going to take 10 days off except for some light BJJ training to do my final prep for the tourney. I got to get rid of this elbow and wrist pain before I can really make some strength gains. I am continually amazed at the progress I am making on the squats. Nice to see a linear progression work so well.

Derek Simonds
10-23-2008, 07:23 AM
October 23 Thursday

I need the Devil Rays to hurry up and win the World Series. With travel and the Rays being in the big game for the first time ever my sleep patterns are severely interrupted.

D W/U

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5 X 5
DB Curls 25 X 11 X 3

More wrist pain today. I tried to do push ups on the paralettes thinking that would help the pain, it didn't.

BB Crush 45 X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Flexor 45 X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Extensor 11 X 10 X 3
Plate Pinch 25 LB's X 2 X 3 with a 5 second hold at the top

Jr and I took Lucy for a walk around the big circle (about a mile) and played catch with the football the entire way. He thought it was pretty cool that I could walk the dog and throw the ball. Maybe learning to walk and chew gum at the same time as a kid helped out...

Derek Simonds
10-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Friday October 24

D W/U

DL 45 X5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 275 X 5, 295 X 5 X 3 (yep still in PR territory)

C/U's 6 X 4
DB Incline Bench 40 X 8, 45 X 8 50 X 8 X 2 all with a 10 second hold at the top on last rep

Planks 3 X 1 minute

Plate pinch 2 hands 2 25's X 2 X 10 Seconds, 2 45's X 5 seconds and X 6 seconds
BB Crush 55 LB's X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Flexor 55 X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Extensor 21 X 10 X 3

DL's are feeling really good. I am not in excrutiating pain for the next 4 days so the adaptation must be working. Pretty cool that I am getting a real good feel for the motion. In the first few reps I can keep everything super tight and I don't feel any muscle strain in my back at all, that last rep and the last two reps on the last set I can still feel it in my spinae erectors. It is almost like I am not set tight enough for those reps. I really concentrated on that today.

I am very happy with the 2 handed X 2 45 LB plate pinch. I know that isn't that much weight but still very happy with it.

Allen Yeh
10-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Nice work on the deads...sheesh 5 sets of 3 of 295. How is the wrist?

Derek Simonds
10-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Hurts. Not sure exactly why other than I am just banged up overall. My notation is pretty much only for me that was actually 3 sets of 5 at 295 and I had more in me. Not much more today but just in general more. 300 next week then maybe 305 the first week of November then rest time for bonzo.

Allen Yeh
10-24-2008, 07:18 AM
ok 3 sets of 5 even harder than 5 sets of 3! sheesh!

Derek Simonds
10-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Saturday and Sunday OCtober 25 / 26

Saturday was really loads of fun. Had the normal football and cheerleading, Laney did great and Jr scored a TD, caught an interception and pulled 4 flags. After that we went to the Rotary Turkey Shoot and Jr shot in the Turkey shoot 3 times and shot skeet once for the first time in his life.

After the Turkey Shoot we went out to my brother in laws hunt club he just joined. A mere 6500 acres of FL wilderness. Nice. We met up with a couple of the other members scouted and then let the kids shoot some more. Jr shot my .22 Ruger pistol and .22 Marlin rifle. To wrap up the shooting one of our friends let Jr shoot his Mini 14. That was probably the highlight of the day for him.

I hit some accessory work Saturday morning. Sunday morning did a Lucy walk + 40 LB's and then finished with 10 X 50 M Sprints with the 40 LB vest on. While I was walking and running the kids rollerbladed. It was kind of funny watching Laney. She was as graceful as a newborn colt.

Derek Simonds
10-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Tuesday October 28

D W/U

It was freaking 49 Degrees here in Central FL this morning. I had to warm up extra long just to get everything moving good. If it keeps getting cold like this I am going to have to move further south.

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 155 X 2, 185 X 5 X 5 (Hell Yeah I am Still in PR Territory)

BS walkouts 275 X 3 steps and 5 second holds X 2

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 102 X 5 X 3
P/U's 5 X 3

GM's 45 X 5 125 X 5 X 3 (these still suck major)

Plate pinch 2 hands 2 25's X 5 Seconds, 2 45's X 5 seconds X 6 seconds and 3 seconds
BB Crush 65 LB's X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Flexor 55 X 10 X 3
BB Wrist Curl Extensor 21 X 10 X 3

Nice workout. The BS is challenging but I think I have a couple more weeks going up by 5 lb's. I think a lot of squatting for me is mental so I added the walkouts.

Derek Simonds
10-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Tuesday October 28 PM

MMA Second class in a row where it was all takedowns all the time. Most of the takedown work we did tonight was more greco roman / wrestling types then single or double. We did a little single work in the beginning of class then just went nuts.

Ended with two long rounds of monkey in the middle. I did the same throw I did in the tourney with the same result the guy rolled on top of me. I need to either stop doing that throw or learn it the correct way. That was the only time I was out of the middle at all.

I am heading out to Nashville super early so skipped NoGi to pack and hang with the kids.

Derek Simonds
10-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Thursday October 30

Hotel Gym Workout

DB's Clean, Squat and Press 30 X 5, 35 X 5, 40 X 5, 45 X 3 (was getting a little wobbly at the top and afraid to scare all the ladies on treadmills if I dropped one)

DB Incline Bench 40 X 8, 50 X 8 X 3
DB Row 40 X 8, 50 X 8 X 3

DB Shrug 50 X 12 X 3
DB Curl 25 X 12 X 3

Plank + 40 Leg Raises + 40 Bicylces

Done and done in 30 minutes off to work.

Derek Simonds
11-01-2008, 02:14 PM
So I went to the doctor on Friday and have some kind of tendonsynovitis (who knows how to spell it) in my hands. Pretty bad. I am taking my rest week early and I am going to skip the tourney and get my hands healed up. For the next 9 days no exercises that involve me holding the bar and half volume on everything else.

D W/U

Zercher's 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 3 (I need to video these and get some input)

Flat Bench PL style 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 4

OH S/U's + 25 LB's X 13, 13, 12, 12
B/E's + 25 LB's X 13, 12, 12

Done and ready for the Fl VS GA game.

Derek Simonds
11-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Monday November 3

D W/U

LBBS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Flat Bench PL 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

B/E 13, 12, 11

Plank Elbows 1 minute, Hands 2 X 1 minute (tried the hands to see if it was harder and it was a little not much though)

Done in less then 40 minutes.

Leo Soubbotine
11-03-2008, 05:00 AM
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!

Give yourself some time to heal up.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2008, 04:08 AM
I spent the a total of an hour last night and today in meditation / prayer for the country as we go into the final day of the election. I have never done that before and it was harder than I thought it would be. Especially with the constant distractions from work that kept busting into my head. I got some bad news yesterday in regards to where we are going with the company. Eek. Good news I am still gainfully employed.

D W/U focused on ankles

Lucy walk for 1 mile with + 40 LB weighted vest.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I weighed in at 194 this morning and am going for 210 by the end of this cycle. I train Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for BJJ and MMA. I am still flip flopping back and forth on strength training and MA in the same day. I can never be sure where I will be so I guess it is kind of immaterial to even try and program around.

I just finished mapping my hybrid variant. It is based on SS and Combat Core with less O/Lifting. I mapped it out over 6 workouts in two weeks which will be repeated for this 4 week cycle. Still being fairly untrained I really can't tell the difference between a ME recovery and DE recovery day. Except for DL's which just suck to recover from no matter what.

Workout A
3x5 Back Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
4x12 Rotational Med Ball
4x30 Seconds Core Statics Decline Series
5 Minutes LCCJ

Workout B
3x5 Zercher Squat
3x5 Standing Military Press
5x3 Power Cleans
4x12 Sandbag S/Uís
4x12 B/Eís
5 Minutes Met-Con

Workout C
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Box Snatch Grip Deadlift
4x12 KB Windmills
4xAMRAP Weighted P/Uís (hold weight in feet)
5 Minutes LCCJ

Workout D
3x5 Back Squat
5x3 Snatch
5x3 Cleans
4x30 Seconds Weighted Plank
4x30 Seconds Guard Supermanís
5 Minutes Met-Con

Workout E
3x5 Front Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
4x12 Hanging Leg Lifts
4x10 Rockyís
5 Minutes LCCJ

Workout F
3x5 Zercher Squat
5x3 Snatch
5x3 Cleans
4x12 OH S/Uís
4xAMRAP L-Sit P/Uís
5 Minutes Met-Con

All workouts start with D W/U and Mobility work. All thoughts are welcome!

Leo Soubbotine
11-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Why so many workouts?

Derek Simonds
11-04-2008, 05:30 PM
There is only 3 workouts. It is just rotated 1 O/Lift first week and 2 O/Lift the second week. The core stuff is an example from Diesel Crew that I wanted to try.

Delaney wanted to give you an Eek Leo so here it is. :eek:

Derek Simonds
11-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Tuesday October 4

MMA

Well not a ton of people at class tonight, I am guessing due to voting. Warmed up and started with pummel drills. Worked all from the pummel. Moved to the octagon and worked reversals of being pushed with a pin to the cage. Worked being pinned against the wall and escaping or reversing. Then worked pinning against the wall and taking your opponent down.

Played monkey in the middle with the wall and takedowns. Worked some punches and knees and called it a night.

Went home and explained the electoral college to my 8 year old son. That is an interesting conversation. He really enjoyed all the coverage of the election.

Derek Simonds
11-05-2008, 04:09 AM
Wednesday October 5

D W/U

Zercher's 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Press +DJ lockout 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 81 X 5 X 2

HPC 45 X 3, 61 X 3 X 3, 81 X 3 X 2

22 LB Sandbag S/U's 12 X 2
Hanging Knee Raises 13, 12, 10

Demo'ed a whole bunch of KB moves using an 8 LB KB.

My hands are starting to feel a lot better.

Gant Grimes
11-05-2008, 07:01 AM
If you're doing DE squats, especially box squats, you shouldn't feel wrecked the day after.

I weighed in at 194 this morning and am going for 210 by the end of this cycle.

Wow! That's a good goal. I got up to 208 but wasn't lean. Eating becomes a chore. I'm not familiar with Combat Core, but I assume it's an MMA strength training program.

Looks interesting. Questions:
Why is 2/3 of your squatting Zerchers and front squats?
Why are the OLY movements in the middle of your workouts instead of at the beginning?
I assume your matches/rounds are 5 minutes? Is this a running clock, or are there stoppages?

Derek Simonds
11-05-2008, 09:32 AM
If you're doing DE squats, especially box squats, you shouldn't feel wrecked the day after.

Wow! That's a good goal. I got up to 208 but wasn't lean. Eating becomes a chore. I'm not familiar with Combat Core, but I assume it's an MMA strength training program.

Looks interesting. Questions:
Why is 2/3 of your squatting Zerchers and front squats?
Why are the OLY movements in the middle of your workouts instead of at the beginning?
I assume your matches/rounds are 5 minutes? Is this a running clock, or are there stoppages?

Combat Core is pretty all encompassing but it is definitely targeted towards the MMA / Grappling / Wrestling / BJJ practitioner.

Zerchers because they are kind of like the SGBDL in that they really engage every single part of the body. After last weeks set of Z's I could feel it in my entire torso. I feel like they have a direct carryover to grappling. Bracing the core, controlling the weight in your arms and moving all at the same time. Last night as I was doing takedowns against the wall I was thinking about the similarities between a Zercher and a double leg around the knees. I use a thumbless gable grip for both and really pull the arms tight into the body and then just explode upward with the weight. I think that there would also be a ton of similarities with stone lifting. Which BTW I plan on making several of over the holidays.

FS's could easily be replaced with BS. All my BS as of late has been High Bar BS, I considered doing one day High Bar and one day Low Bar. I wrote it and haven't given it any additional consideration.

I used the SS template and for whatever reason when I wrote the program I put the PC's in the middle. I never thought about changing the order in writing but the O/Lifts are definitely first.

The matches are 4, 5, 6 or 7 depending on tournament and division. Most of my matches fall into the 5 and 6 minute range. I had a couple at the last tournament that were 4 minutes but usually it is 5 or 6. Since I am skipping the next tournament because of my hands I probably won't have one until January. I was asked to compete in one November 15th, I am not sure what the divisions are or if I will compete.

Our BJJ team is getting reorganized first of the year and Marcio has already asked me to be on it and to compete in Brazil middle of next year. Once I see when the tournament is and what the specifics are for weight classes and time limits I will put together a plan to get prepared metabolically.

I have two goals for the next couple of months.
1) To see how much weight I can put on without being miserable and repulsing my wife. My stated goal is 210.
2) To drive my absolute strength as high as I can.

Derek Simonds
11-06-2008, 04:19 AM
After much consideration while I was lying in bed awake last night I am going to do BS instead of FS. Done and done.

Wednesday November 5th

I met up with Allen and his awesome son Connor at Leo's place tonight. Coach Danny Carmango was there leading the weightlifting class. He is phenomenal. Leo is having a seminar with Coach Danny Saturday December 13th and here is a link for more info http://www.crossfitevolution.com/dec-13-weightlifting-seminar/

The WOD was as best as I can remember. I am sure I am messing it up somewhat.

W/U
HPS just below the knees to a heavy double
C&J to a heavy single
Clean pull 100% + 5 KG X 3 X 3
Press 3 X 3
BS 3 X 3

Allen had a super nice PR on Snatch and Leo is posting some pictures in his blog. I was really concerned about my hands so I just dinked around. Leo gave me some straps and I did the HPS part of the workout up to 50 KG's. That was really an awkward feeling, hook grip on top of straps. I told Leo if I lose a snatch backwards it will rip my arms clean off my body. :D

I did however flip a 550 LB tire no problem. I was once again real careful with my hands.

Thursday November 6

Recovery Day
Lucy walk 1 mile + 40 LB Vest
5 X 50 M sprint + 40 LB Vest with walk back as rest in between

Leo Soubbotine
11-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Most of the pics are in the comments for today's post
http://www.crossfitevolution.com/redcorner/

And a couple more in http://www.crossfitevolution.com/training-gallery/november-08/

Ordered me a track wheelset this morning. very excited!

Derek Simonds
11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Thursday November 6

MMA One of our pro team MMA fighters has a fight in Miami so a lot of the team guys went down there tonight. One of the other fighters has a fight coming up end of November so I trained with him tonight. He is 6'3" and 215 LB's right now so he has a height and weight advantage on me. I have said it many times I hate getting punched in the face. Tonight I got punched hard in the face! First round I wore boxing gloves and he tried to take me down or pin me to the cage. He has much better stand up then me and it was everything I had not to get KTFO. I did end up eating a straight right that left a nice glove size bruise on my face.

Second round we got into my world. I still had the gloves on but we went to the ground. I am so much more comfortable on the ground even punching. He could do anything he wanted and I could punch. My job was to not let him up. Here is a series of pictures from that round.

You can see we started in the middle of the ring. Fence here I come.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2vjyakn.jpg

He is reaching out trying to use his arm to keep me from driving him into the fence. Strong hips make all the difference here. You just push and find the angle then pin him to the fence

http://i37.tinypic.com/27xgmxy.jpg

A little body work with the left to loosen things up. Keep the head protected and work. I really like body, body, head and I got into a nice little flow.

http://i33.tinypic.com/33kgjyt.jpg

All right now we are there time to push the gas.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2iqo1tc.jpg

Derek Simonds
11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I was able to get him from the middle of the ring to the cage. Once there I just started raining down the punches. Here are the last two shots from that round.

http://i36.tinypic.com/scs1ds.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ekocg3.jpg

That last picture was a really solid right to his head. You can see he is trying to escape to his left and I brought in a solid right.

Last round I got to go back to MMA gloves and we worked positions. I started in side control and we worked that for a minute switched to Mount worked that then went to the back and I submitted him with a RNC. Once we saw that was a weakness we worked with him fighting to get me off his back for the rest of the time. I was able to work a bunch of RNC's and I also was able to help him I think because he wasn't getting his hips into his escape. Really good training and lots of parts of my body are super sore.

NoGi Fabio started class with 3 5 minute rounds of grappling at 50% with no submissions. We moved right from that to monkey in the middle drills with the butterfly guard. We did that for 20 minutes then we grappled 4 7 minute rounds. Nothing but nastiness tonight. I grappled with the fighter from above for two rounds. One was full on and the second was just with him working to escape from the back mount.

I really focused on not using my hands to grab tonight. I obviously had to use them to finish moves but just in general I didn't grip or grab nearly as much as normal. Interesting way to look at grappling.

R. Alan Hester
11-06-2008, 08:55 PM
good work and nice pics!

I don't do MMA because I don't like being punched in the face either.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Friday November 7

Today was the last day of half volume recovery before my next cycle starts. I needed it especially after last night.

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

SGBDL 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Decline on Hyper Band Twists 2 X 12 per side

Weighted Planks + 25 LB's 30 seconds, 45 seconds

10 LB Plate Curls 3 X 10

Some card tearing practice. First tear I got was 9 cards and then I worked up to 15 cards and quartered the deck. Really fun. The quartering seemed easier then the full tear. Don't know if that was mental, if they just fit my hand easier or my grip is stronger with that size. The 15 card quarter is bottom left.

http://i36.tinypic.com/f9qm4y.jpg

Gant Grimes
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
The workout is sound. I'll play with Zercher's to see if I like them.

Good luck with the weight gain. Remember that weight control is about insulin control. The ice cream before bed shot my levels to hell, but it helped me pack on the pounds. It's very hard to do eating totally clean, which was a convenient excuse to add in some cinnamon/brown sugar muffins.

The pics look cool. You're really progressing. It's an honor to represent your school. Are you considering MMA or just BJJ? Sometimes I think about it briefly (I was a very good striker back in my Kenpo days), then I remember I'm 34, tore up, and got out of tournament fighting for a reason (tired of getting punched/kicked/elbowed/kneed in the face). It hurts, and it makes you look like a dumbass on Monday morning in the office.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I will keep training MMA but have no plans on competing. Today is a perfect example of why. I have a nice glove bruise that runs from my mouth to my jaw. I have various other lumps on my head. The top of both feet are bruised to hell and the first two knuckles on my right hand are swollen twice the size of normal. I must have been hitting harder than I thought last night.

I really enjoy the training part of MMA but the actual doing tends to hurt.

I am really missing the fact that the biggest tournament of the year is tomorrow an I am not competing. I have been taking it easy all week and then just went bonkers last night and am paying for it today.

My 7 year plan as of today is to retire from my current job and open a BJJ / Uechi Ryu / Olympic Lifting / Massage therapy / Crossfit super center in my little home town.

I have got to get out to Wichita to train with you guys sometime soon or on your next trip we have to get together. If you come here we have a fantastic academy you would really enjoy the energy, especially if there is a guy prepping for a fight.

On the ice cream front. I love milk shakes. Seriously they are my favorite over pretty much any dessert. So my plan was to make a protein milkshake right before bedtime to get that push over the edge.

Derek Simonds
11-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Saturday November 8

Active recovery with Jr and Lucy. Jr rollerbladed, Lucy tried to chase him and I walked with my 40 LB X Vest. With the vest on I am 234 LB's, Lucy is 100 LB's and I just hold her leash tight as she tries to chase Jr. It drives her crazy when he takes off the down the road and she can't go running after him.

Heres a picture of my horse I mean puppy.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qxbxbn.jpg

Agenda for today

Flag football Jr
Cheerleading Delaney
BJJ Sr (hopefully)
Father Daughter Bowling with Delaney's brownie troop
Jr and Tracy picking up a dog we are adopting
Everybody meets home for dinner.

Derek Simonds
11-08-2008, 03:52 PM
So my lawn guy pulls a palm tree out of the front yard by the garage. Well when he does the roots are around around water main and he breaks the pipe. No big deal he goes to the store gets the stuff needed and comes back and fixes his mess. I get home at 6:45 last night and all I can smell is natural gas! Turns out not only did he break the water main he broke the dang gas pipe as well. I called FPU right away and they sent a guy out to take care of it. Interestingly enough it costs 225 just to send a truck out on an after hours call. I have no idea what the bill is going to be.

Got dressed and went right to flag football and cheerleading. Delaney was awesome today and she lead the squad for their halftime performance. Jr's team unfortunately is unvictorious on the season. He played his heart out today. he had 5 pulled flags for tackles and scored the only points the team made on an interception return for a touchdown. They got blown out by 4 TD's. Ooof!

Left flag football and headed to BJJ had a great class that focused entirely on butterfly guard. I have been using butterfly a ton so this was right up my alley. We ended up rolling with just open guard no submissions. Only goal was to sweep or to pass. Then you reset. Loads of fun and I pulled off a ton of butterfly sweeps. I also was able to pass consistently.

Both of the kids warmed up with the class, stretched then they fought each other the entire time class was going on.

After class we all got cleaned up and Delaney and I headed to our local bowling alley for father daughter bowling. I bowled left handed because my right hand didn't like the feel of the ball at all. Left handed and with bumpers my daughter beat me two out of three games. I am a really bad bowler and she is a really happy little girl. :cool:

Derek Simonds
11-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Monday November 10

Dog walking
D W/U

BS 45 X5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 300 X 5

Core Statics Decline 3 X 30 seconds per side

Russian Twist on hyper 20 LB Med Ball 20 X 3

I totally forgot my LCCJ with the 16 KG KB. 5 minutes total work switching hands on the minute for the first 4 minutes and on 30 seconds in the 5th minute. I averaged 12 reps per minute without to terribly much fatigue.

FBBC Big Squeeze Curl X 10, + 10 LB's X 10 X 3

BB Cruush 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 75 X 10 X 2

BB Extension 21 LB's X 10 X 3

BB Flexion 45 X 10, 55 X 10 X 2

Total time 1:30. First time I have included flat BB bench in a program in over 4 years. They felt good. BS was ok, I had a hard time finding a good foot position this morning. DL's were no problem, I felt like I could have gone to 315 easily.

Allen Yeh
11-10-2008, 04:36 AM
So my lawn guy pulls a palm tree out of the front yard by the garage. Well when he does the roots are around around water main and he breaks the pipe. No big deal he goes to the store gets the stuff needed and comes back and fixes his mess. I get home at 6:45 last night and all I can smell is natural gas! Turns out not only did he break the water main he broke the dang gas pipe as well. I called FPU right away and they sent a guy out to take care of it. Interestingly enough it costs 225 just to send a truck out on an after hours call. I have no idea what the bill is going to be.

Wow. Everything is all fixed up now?

Allen Yeh
11-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Wednesday November 5th

I met up with Allen and his awesome son Connor at Leo's place tonight. Coach Danny Carmango was there leading the weightlifting class. He is phenomenal. Leo is having a seminar with Coach Danny Saturday December 13th and here is a link for more info http://www.crossfitevolution.com/dec-13-weightlifting-seminar/

The WOD was as best as I can remember. I am sure I am messing it up somewhat.

W/U
HPS just below the knees to a heavy double
C&J to a heavy single
Clean pull 100% + 5 KG X 3 X 3
Press 3 X 3
BS 3 X 3

Allen had a super nice PR on Snatch and Leo is posting some pictures in his blog. I was really concerned about my hands so I just dinked around. Leo gave me some straps and I did the HPS part of the workout up to 50 KG's. That was really an awkward feeling, hook grip on top of straps. I told Leo if I lose a snatch backwards it will rip my arms clean off my body. :D

I did however flip a 550 LB tire no problem. I was once again real careful with my hands.

It was a good workout. Nice to meet the family at dinner. Too bad we weren't able to meet up at the parks though!

Derek Simonds
11-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Wow. Everything is all fixed up now?

Yep all fixed up. Now I am waiting for the bill. I talked to my lawn guy and he said he would take care of the charges. My BP was probably through the roof Friday night.

Derek Simonds
11-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Tuesday November 11

Active recovery. First time walking Lucy and Deja our new adoptee. My wife picked her up on Saturday from a friend of hers who could no longer take care of her. She is a whippet and lab mix. Her and Lucy have become best buddies in just a couple of days. I will get some pictures of her later.

1 mile dog walk with both dogs. I didn't wear my weighted vest as I didn't know how well it would go. It went surprisingly well. No tangles, it was like they each picked a side and then we went on patrol. Neither one would cross to the other side and we just motored right down the sidewalk. Very nice.

Derek Simonds
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Tuesday November 11

MMA Crazy cardio work tonight. Fabio had his foot on the gas the entire time. He even got the 20 KG KB out so that we were using it in a circuit. One of the circuits was 20 swings and then rotate. Each station was doing some different action like heavy bag drills and the switch was whenever the person doing the swings finished. We did a couple of rounds of this circuit. Next circuit was 5 TGU's per side then rotate with the same other stuff. First time I have done TGU's with a 20 Kilo in a while. No pain in the shoulders Yeah!!

BJJ Worked all moves out of the turtle and sprawl position. Focused on spinning to one side, controlling the arm, pulling to the chest, driving the knee under, pulling to the side and taking the back. Once there work for the RNC. Lot's of fun. We worked this for a while and then spent 3 minutes drilling top and bottom. Grappling went well. I rolled three 6 minute matches and was able to get multiple submissions in each match. I also paid attention to not overly using my grip. All my fingers are better except middle finger on my right hand. It is still tender.

My coach Fabio wants me to compete on Saturday. If I do it I need to cut 5 to 6 pounds. I will make a decision tonight or tomorrow morning. Looks to be a good tournament and is the last one of the year in FL. Fabio asked me if I could cut to 175 and compete in the absolute division. No way I am cutting to 174 and I really don't want to compete in absolute. Final decision to come tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
11-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Wednesday November 12

D W/U

2 Hand Plate Pinch 2 X 25 LB's X 10 Seconds X 4

B W/U

Power Clean 45 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 155 X 3 X 5

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Zercher Squats 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 3

Sandbag S/U's 30 LB's X 10 X 4
B/E's 10 X 4
BB Crush 65 X 10, 85 X 10 X 3

BB Flexion 65 X 10 X 3
BB Extension 21 X 10 X 3

PC's took way too long. I was over 30 minutes in by the time I finished PC's. I really tried to emphasize hip movement at the top of the Zercher to mimic double leg takedown. B/E's after Z's were a treat. Everything felt solid all the way through.

Allen Yeh
11-12-2008, 04:43 AM
How will your hands hold up for a tournament? Possibility of more "damage?" Or just prolonging their return to normality?

Derek Simonds
11-12-2008, 06:51 AM
That is the 64,000 dollar question. They feel real good except my middle finger on the right hand. It is still overly tender. A lot depends on today.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Thursday November 13

2 Dog walk + 1 mile + 40 LB xVest = Great Active Recovery

It was a balmy 70 degrees and humid in East Central Florida this morning.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I am screwed for making the lighter division Saturday. I have been moderating my fluids and food last two days and I am 2'5 lb's heavier. Plus I just found out that I am playing in a celebrity pro-am golf charity event tomorrow morning. I wonder if that will be easy to avoid food and drink during. I will make the final ecision on weight classes after training tonight.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Thursday November 13 PM

MMA Opponent jab, jab, straight you block / dodge outside and go for the takedown. Worked all the variants on both sides of this move. Final move was gator roll to arm triangle. Finished MMA with 5 minutes of sprawl ball using 12 lb med ball.

No-Gi Worked on one arm over and one under passes with the knee up. I was partnered with a purple belt and we worked some very good passes and defenses. I enjoy the butterfly game a lot and when we work these passes it really make me better because I can see them coming. Grappled 2 7 minute matches tonight. First was with the purple and we went at major. I pulled 2 very nice butterfly sweeps so quite pleased with that. Next roll with a blue belt who has just started training at our school. Kind of chubby but big. He went at me hard and gave me a lot to work with. He baited me with an arm and I knew he was baiting me with it so I took it anyway. He thought he could over power me. Little did he know that I use my legs and feet to break the armbar defense. He tapped with 1:30 left and we reset and he tried to double leg bulldog me and I sprawled took his back and he rolled into north south and I just smothered him from there. Always feels good when your jits holds up against a newcomer from another school.

I found out today at 4:30 that I am playing in a celebrity pro am golf tournament tomorrow so I will be on the road by 6:15. Doesn't look like I am going to cut enough weight to drop a weight class so I will be fighting with the big boys on Saturday.

R. Alan Hester
11-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Good luck Saturday, Derek. If you have abandoned your plan to cut weight, you ought to attempt to gain 5 pounds by consuming copious amounts of chicken wings at the golf tourney. ;)

Derek Simonds
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Friday November 14

D W/U

I got to do the swing analysis with the same system that they use on TV. What a trip, the thing is radar based has two computers hooked to it and a big screen monitor. Once you hit the ball it maps out your swing speed, club head angle, launch angle, graphs your acceleration and about a thousand other things.

I hit a couple of drives and the guy pulled up the analysis. Turns out that I have a 111.5 mph average club head speed. The pro working it said that the guys on TV average 115 mph club speed. I was crushing the ball. The guy could tell from the program that my swing was faster than the stiffness of my shaft (no jokes here) and that I was losing momentum at impact. So I ask the guy should I swing easier and he laughed and said today yeah but you really need to buy clubs that are right for you. If that ain't the best sales pitch you have ever heard I don't know what is.

One of the guys in my foursome got closest to the pin for $25,000. Yep you read that right 25 freaking grand! On the longest drive hole I absolutely airmailed one and it was drifting a little right. I turned to the golf pro with us and said is that going to land in the fairway. He said shit I don't know I have never seen anyone hit it that far before. Unfortunately for me it was out of the fairway by about 10 feet so I didn't win the longest drive. I did out drive the winner by over 30 yards though.

Our team finished 3rd place overall. It was a riot. We were partnered up with Dave Parker of the Pittsburgh Pirates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Parker He was a great golfer and a true gentlemen who answered all of our questions and just generally made it a super fun round. Dan Marino was there and came over to say hello to Dave and then he introduced himself to all of us. Dan is a big dude. I knew he wasn't small but I am guessing he is at least 6'4". There was a ton of other football and baseball guys there, Andre Reed, Nate Moore, Kijana Carter, Mike Schmitz and a ton of other guys who I can't remember. Speaking of Dave here is a picture of him and I after the game. He said he was 250 when he retired and that we was 285 now. All I know is he is a big dude!

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zovlf4.jpg

Very good times.

Leo Soubbotine
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Awesome stuff, Derek!

Derek Simonds
11-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Saturday November 15

Short version of the story I won Gold in my division. I fought in the light heavyweights up to 210. My cameraman didn't record the fight but figured out how to do it for the awards. Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3O4TwtIpmI

I will write up the details later.

R. Alan Hester
11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Very nice, Derek!

Were the Chipmunks announcing?

Derek Simonds
11-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I fixed the video. I borrowed a camera because my dad was using mine to video Jr's last flag football game. It had an auto upload to youtube and when I used the upload I got the chipmunk effect. Weird.

What a day. The address was wrong on the flyer so we went to the completely wrong place to start. Nothing like trying to find the tournament and focus on what you are getting ready to do. Got there and you will never believe this it wasn't running exactly on schedule. I was supposed to be one of the first fights but they rearranged the order and I went after all the kids divisions. I was able to cheer on about 6 of my teammates as they competed. It was awesome. We brought home at least 4 adult gold medals that I can think of right now. Our kids did fantastic as well. My coach rode with me to the tourney and spent most of the day working corners for all the competitors.

I think that I was more stressed out watching everybody else fight then I was for my own. When they called me to the mat the guy I was fighting out weighed me by a good 10 lb's and was in fantastic shape. He was shorter than me but strong as an ox.

We started with a traditional clinch and I worked a couple of techniques that I have been practicing, I pulled him in towards me then went for a trip, I shoved him backwards and went for the leg and then I set him up with a fake to guard pull. His coach started yelling he is going to pull guard watch the armbar. I wasn't thinking that but when the coach yelled it I guess he though that was a good idea so he pulled guard and went for the armbar. I was never in any danger and went to the ground with him and just stacked him hard. In the stack position I had a hard time getting my arm all the way out so I just continued to stack and used it as a pass. Once around the guy was so strong it took me probably a good minute to get him flattened out.

Once he was flattened out I immediately started attacking for a choke. He was fighting like mad to get out and I used that to pass to the mount. I got the points for the mount and went for an armbar. It wasn't really there and he started rolling to escape so I ended up sitting on his side and I went back to side but he wasn't flat and Fabio was telling me to take his back. I didn't get it right away until he told me to put my bottom hook in first and I was able to take his back and went immediately to a RNC. I never really had it and he was fighting like mad and I didn't want to lose position so I kept the grips and he rolled hard. Now I was on top and still had my hooks locked in. Fabio tells me less than a minute left and I am way up on points so just flatten him out and control. I had one hand in his collar already so I used that to help me pull him forward.

Once I stretched him out some more I started pulling on his collar and I felt it around his chin. With my other hand I reached in and pushed the collar down onto his neck and I felt it go into place. I really wanted the sub so as soon as it did I arched my back and went for the gi choke by extending my choking arm and pressing on the back of his head with my other hand, and that was when time expired.

I hadn't ate all day so after everything was done Fabio and I went to Texas de Brazil and just tour up some meat. Good finish to a great day.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Sunday November 16

Paying my bet. I had a bet with Joe Hashey on the Coture / Lesnar fight and I lost. Loser videos 50 pushups and posts to their youtube sight. Well that would be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzrSOIHqByo

Man I am tired today and I really didn't do that much yesterday. More so just the tension and hurry up wait that happens with tourney's

Derek Simonds
11-17-2008, 04:35 AM
Monday November 17

Jump rope
D W/U
DC Shoulder Pre Hab

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 190 X 5 reps X 3 sets (PR sets across)

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 155 X 5 X reps X 3 sets

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 5 (PR reps)

DL was double overhand up to the 4th rep of the 275 then switched to normal. 305 felt good. Real good. I wonder how long I can go adding 5 LB's a workout.

LCCJ 6 Minutes 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10 switched arms on the minute

2 Hand Plate Pinch 25's X 10 seconds X 20 seconds X 3
BB Crush 45 X 10, 65 X 10 X 3 (took it easy here as my middle finger is pretty sensitive)
BB wrist curl 45 X 10, 65 X 10 X 2
BB Extension 11 X 10, 26 X 10 X 2
FBBC Big Squeeze Curls + 20 LB's X 10 X 3

I love lifting with bumpers a PR looks even bigger!

http://i34.tinypic.com/25510yr.jpg

My son joined me outside this morning. I had taken my weightlifting shoes off to DL and he slipped them on and got in on the KB action. That is the 24 KG KB he is playing with.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qxbzbl.jpg

It was a great morning all around.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Monday November 17

Jump rope
D W/U
DC Shoulder Pre Hab

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 190 X 5 reps X 3 sets (PR sets across)

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 155 X 5 X reps X 3 sets

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 5 (PR reps)

DL was double overhand up to the 4th rep of the 275 then switched to normal. 305 felt good. Real good. I wonder how long I can go adding 5 LB's a workout.

LCCJ 6 Minutes 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10 switched arms on the minute

2 Hand Plate Pinch 25's X 10 seconds X 20 seconds X 3
BB Crush 45 X 10, 65 X 10 X 3 (took it easy here as my middle finger is pretty sensitive)
BB wrist curl 45 X 10, 65 X 10 X 2
BB Extension 11 X 10, 26 X 10 X 2
FBBC Big Squeeze Curls + 20 LB's X 10 X 3

I love lifting with bumpers a PR looks even bigger!

http://i34.tinypic.com/25510yr.jpg

My son joined me outside this morning. I had taken my weightlifting shoes off to DL and he slipped them on and got in on the KB action. That is the 24 KG KB he is playing with.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qxbzbl.jpg

It was a great morning all around.

Absolutely awesome on the PR deadlift. And I love the golfing story above. Good stuff. Gotta love the helpers too.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
11-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Nice lifts! Too bad you didn't get video of your victory!

I wish I knew you were pulling for Couture...I would have bet you 100 burpees or something, heh.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Tuesday November 18

D W/U

Two dog patrol. I had to put on a sweatshirt and a jacket it was flipping cold. My official Simonds family weather station showed 45.6 degrees this morning. I am telling you global warming is a myth.

Walked 1.5 miles in 30 minutes this morning. My wife gave me a 15 minute neck and back treatment last night so I feel pretty darn spiffy.

MMA and No-Gi tonight.

Derek Simonds
11-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Wednesday was travel to St Louis up and back for a meeting. Makes for a long day but at least I slept in my own bed.

Thursday November 20

Jump Rope
D W/U
Wall Slides
B W/U

Power Clean 61 X 3, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 145 X 3 X 5

Zercher's 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5 X 3 (PR from here up)

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 100 X 5 X 3

Rolling Thunder DL up to 114.4 LB's (PR from here up)

FBBC Big Squeeze Curls + 30 LB's X 10 X 3 (PR from here up)

S/U's + 50 LB Sandbag X 12 X 3
Russian Twist + 20 LB MB X 10 X 3

Next week every exercise will be in PR territory. Pretty cool.

Derek Simonds
11-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Video from this mornings session. It was 58 degrees in my garage this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Mdnmk8T9s

I don't know how to embed videos so I guess I need to learn.

Derek Simonds
11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Thursday November 20

MMA So I figured I would give the TGU's for 5 minutes straight a go tonight before class. I used a 20 KG KB and went at it. Well I got 3 minutes not exactly what I was after. I could have done more but I didn't want to be smoked to start class.

I led the warmup and took the group through some shadow boxing drills with takedowns and sprawls. Went from there into a circle with everyone holding their feet up and passing 25 lb weights left to right for a minute. Then 30 leg lifts and a 1 minute plank. Repeat the ab work passing right to left and then stretched quickly.

Fabio started class with takedowns. I worked single inside and outside along with double leg. Went from there into the same drill from Tuesday sprawl control opposite ankle, crossface, take the back and RNC. Great drill. Once we had worked all the way through the progressions we sparred for 3 minute rounds starting with one guy having the single leg and they fight for the takedown and the other person fights for the sprawl. Another great drill. My takedown defense was real good tonight. Unfortunately in one of the takedowns I underhooked the dudes leg and spun him while I was sprawling and he turned into me so that I cranked his neck inadvertently. When it was my turn I really focused on movement and working from the single into the double, the single into an outside single and so forth.

After takedowns we went right to sparring. It was full contact tonight with no punching to the face but everything else was fair game. I went two 5 minute rounds with two different opponents. In the first round I was able to get two submissions. Second round I worked the guys legs then took him down, controlled the biceps worked the body with some pretty hard shots passed to side control and took the armbar for the submission. It was the first time I have ever been able to flow from stand up to takedown to submission that way.

Great class and it went a long time tonight. My hands and forearms are absolutely toast. I am going to ice my hands take some advil and chill.

Derek Simonds
11-21-2008, 04:10 AM
Friday November 21

Recovery day. 2 dog walk with my son. We only went 1 mile. Nice walk and always good to hang with Jr in the morning.

Got home did some TGU's with a 16 KG KB to GTG and getting some chow.

Training tonight with Fabio and Rafael should be fun.

Allen Yeh
11-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Video from this mornings session. It was 58 degrees in my garage this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Mdnmk8T9s

I don't know how to embed videos so I guess I need to learn.

I'll go with what Leo said, more pop to the cleans, that weight looks easy enough for you to be muscle cleaning.

Workouts with weights when it's cold are not fun, in between sets the other day at the gym I kept having to throw my hands under my shirt. Outside temp was mid 20's and inside temp was....no idea but the heat was broken so cold!

Derek Simonds
11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Friday November 21

Semi Private with Fabio and Rafael. I realized that I really don't have any solid attacks from half guard. If I end up in half I just push out and go back to butterfly. So we worked on a sweep to the back. Lots of good movements in this series. Biggest problem I have with it is ducking my head through the crotch to get to the back. I kept getting my head stuck. Finally got it and it really works well. I don't know that I am going to incorporate it into my game tomorrow as my go to half guard move but it is something I am going to practice.

From there we went to a baseball choke using the gi from half. I liked this alot and if you don't get the choke you can reset and use the gi to help with a sweep. We also worked several different ways to sweep using the gi. Mostly it becomes a series of feeling the balance and using the gi to take away a leg of the table.

Finished with the sprawl control to RNC series that we have been doing the last two nights at MMA. I also used my darce choke to arm triangle series I have been practicing. Funny thing about the gi the darce to arm triangle is so much harder because the gi acts like friction to prevent you from being able to slide your arm qucikly.

Finished up grappling with Rafa for 2 rounds. I was able to get a triangle, armbar and a gi choke. We started standing and worked the takedowns as well. Giogo showed us a quick takedown to half guard to sweep. I have used it before but if you aren't quick your opponent can pass to side control so fast.

Really good session tonight and well worth the time. My forearms are so smoked from the rolling thunder I think.

Derek Simonds
11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Saturday November 22

Jump Rope 100 X 2
D W/U
EC Foam Roller
Wall Slides

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5, 195 X 5 X 3 (PR)

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5 X 3 (Not a PR but I really have no idea what to count as a PR, I wont count it until I am at least at BW X 5)

DL 135 X 5, 205 X 5, 255 X 5, 280 X 5, 305 X 5 (PR)

P/U's 8, 8
KB Windmills 16 KG 12 per side X 2

Done and done. I am smoked. I think the squats and DL's took a lot out of me today.

Here is the video from today's workout. Jr gets in on some KB action at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOeRyCY37ho

Here is my post workout meal

http://i36.tinypic.com/4l59a8.jpg

Derek Simonds
11-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Saturday November 22

Bonus BJJ today. I was on Daddy duty while Tracy did some work for her massage business and I asked the kids what they wanted to do and they said go to BJJ and fight! They were pretty darn emphatic so I said lets do it.

Worked three different sweeps from closed guard when your opponent stands to pass. First you drop your legs and squeeze around their knees so they are completely touching. Second use a grip on the their sleeves and cross their arms then press with your knees and pull to the same side you are pressing for the sweep. Second variant is when they free one arm before you can sweep. You switch to an opposite pistol grip on their sleeve sit up and grab anywhere you can on the back of their gi and pull them to the side. Third variant is when your opponent falls forward and puts their hands up above your head. You triangle their knees then sit up and grab above their knees and fake a roll to one side then roll the other way to sweep. Once on the ground climb slowly without giving any space.

Worked the armbar from high fatman mount. Normal progressions. Giogo showed two things I haven't seen. One is a nasty choke inside the armbar if they are holding their arm and second was where you sit back flip your foot over thier throat like a gogoplata and start choking, when they let go to defend finish the armbar.

Kids had a blast and fought the entire time. I had to ask them to go a little easier. go figure.

After class we went to a BBQ joint got some lunch then went home and took anm hour nap. yeah me.

Derek Simonds
11-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Monday November 24

Jump Rope
D W/U
Wall Slides

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 2, 200 X 5 X 3 (PR! Yep finally got a 2 on the front of my squat sets)

Bench 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 5 X 3 (That was very hard. Harder than I would have thought)

Chin Ups Supersetted with Bench 5, 5, 5, 5

DL 135 X 5, 190 X 5, 230 X 5, 280 X 5, 310 X 5 (PR! I imagine everybody is getting tired of all these PR's, well everyone except me :D )

FBBC Big Squeeze curls + 32 LB's X 10 X 3

Another cold morning workout for us Floridians. I am excited with where I am in this progression. Bench I am only going to go up 5 LB's from here out. I struggled with the last rep on both of the last two sets. Got it without assistance but it was slow going up. I was nervous on the squats but once I got the weight on my shoulders it was just like any other weight. The DL's felt good also. I might only workout twice this week because of travel and Thanksgiving.

Allen Yeh
11-25-2008, 03:04 AM
High bar or low bar? Congrats on the PR. This is supposed to be a low intensity week for me so good timing with Thanksgiving.

Derek Simonds
11-25-2008, 04:13 AM
I don't know how to quantify it. I think it is a mid bar. There is a video on my youtube site of Saturdays workout. Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for the congrats it has been a long time coming.

Tuesday November 25

Two dog patrol. 1 mile fast walk it is still cold here in sunny central FL. My core is super sore today. I was really locking it down tight when I was squatting and I think that is what I am feeling today. MMA and No Gi tonight. Feeling pretty darn good right now.

Allen Yeh
11-25-2008, 04:18 AM
I can't tell looking at the video, the video cuts off the bottom of your squat. heh.

Allen Yeh
11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
It looks like I'll only be hitting up 2 sessions this week as well, we just made the decision to drive off early in the AM tomorrow. If I'm feeling really motivated...maybe an athome workout but probably not. Yay for driving on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving!

Derek Simonds
11-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Tuesday November 25

MMA Just flat ass out of control tonight. I warmed the gang up then Giogo took over. It was all circuit style 3 to 5 minutes of pushing the gas on different stations then 1 minute of rest. My favorite is the bungy harness. I have actually got quite good at shooting for takedowns with the harness on. It will fry you quick but loads of fun.

Finished with 2 rounds of grappling with full contact to the body. First round was with a newer guy and I got three submissions in the round. Big, strong guy just not quite sure where to apply his strength yet. Second round was with my buddy Rafeal. Unfortunately on a guard pass I hurt his knee. He recovered and we went at it again. When we restarted he went for a single I moved to sprawl control. Once there I worked to the side took his backs with no hooks and he tried to spin out and I just sat back with my hooks and sunk a RNC. Great finish.

Decided to call it a night and headed home for some recovery.

Derek Simonds
11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
It looks like I'll only be hitting up 2 sessions this week as well, we just made the decision to drive off early in the AM tomorrow. If I'm feeling really motivated...maybe an athome workout but probably not. Yay for driving on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving!

Be safe traveling. I will shoot some more video of my squats on Saturday to get a more complete shot.

Derek Simonds
11-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Wednesday November 26

Jump Rope 2 X 100
D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC 45 X 3, 61 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3 X 2, 145 X 3 X 2, 155 X 1 (and it was freaking ugly), 135 X 3

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 8 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3 (PR!!!) this was the PR I have been waiting on. It was the hardest PR yet for me.

Zercher 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5, 170 X 5 X 2 switched grip each set

2 Hand plate pinch 25's X 10 seconds, 35's X 10 seconds X 2, 45's X 10 seconds (plate pinch felt really good today)

Circuit X 3
55 LB Sandbag situps X 15 X 3
95 LB BB Crush

Circuit X 3
B/E's X 10
70 LB Wrist Curl X 10
31 LB Wrist Extension X 10

Really good workout today. Everything felt great except the press and that was the single hardest PR I have made out of this entire cycle. I look forward to pushing the weight higher over the next couple of weeks.

While we were working out Jr comes out and starts messing around in the garage. After a while he says can I DL that, meaning the 95 LB's and I said if you want to try go ahead. He gets into position and pulled it no problem. He put it down and says how much was that and I told him he said I need some of those little plates so it will be 100 LB's. I said are you sure and he said yep. So I put on the 2.5's and he pulls a 100 like it was nothing. Perfect form the whole deal. At 8 years old he can pull 1.5 times his BW. I weighed in last night after MMA to see where I was and I am at 193. Jr was 66 and Laney was 47. Family weigh in. He doesn't workout with weights except to do fun stuff. All that strength comes from training gymnastics three times a week for 3 hours at a time. Nutty.

Greg Davis
11-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Hey Derek great log. I'd love to see what your nutrition is looking like at this point?

I'm doing 3-4x week grappling training and have also struggled with deciding whether or not to do weights on training days etc. but also with watching for overtraining and under-eating. I generally just have a starch-up meal (sweet potatoes or squash etc.) every few days after training otherwise low carb and work in short SS style weightlifting maybe 2-3x per week. But totally dependent on how I feel. Sometimes I lift before a grappling session not expecting much of a class and it turns in to killer competitive rolling. Leaves me sore and overtrained if not careful.

Derek Simonds
11-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Nutrition is a challenge for me. I am trying to put on weight right now but now am having a hard time opening up my diet enough to substantially gain weight.

I eat mostly paleo. I will track my diet over a couple of day period and post it for you to see.

Derek Simonds
11-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Thursday November 27

1.5 mile walk with both dogs and my son + 40 LB xVest. Nice morning for a walk still too brisk for me but what are you gonna do.

Got home and did a couple of quick sets of weighted pushups and pullups.

I borrowed my dads smoker and since it was here I wanted to make sure to cook as much meat as possible. Check it out.

http://i34.tinypic.com/w9tdzq.jpg

Derek Simonds
11-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Friday November 28

Lots of Jump Rope
EC Foam Rolling
D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 205 X 5 X 3 (PR)

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 180 X 5, 5, 4 (hips came up on last rep so didn't go for 5)

DL 135 X 5, 285 X 5, 225 X 5, 285 x 5, 315 x 5 (PR)

L P/U's 5, 5, 3, 4
Sandbag S/U's 15, 15, 15

Standing BB FLexion 45 X 20 X 3
Seated BB Extension 11 X 20 X 3

Wow, what a great day. More PR's and everything felt great. Here is a video from today and yesterday with a little of the kids and the top sets from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ege_CDIIbTE

Steven Low
11-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice. PRs and lots of meat. Sounds awesome. :D

Greg Davis
11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Dude your smoker pic is unreal! Good stuff..

I'm keeping an eye on your log cuz your training is very similar to mine.. if I wasn't in exams and off to Australia for a month coming up I'd post mine too but will do when I get back.

Derek Weaver
11-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice PR's.

That smoker pic is sweet. It would make Jay Cohen proud.

Derek Simonds
11-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments. You should see the food we have left. Here is a picture of the table. My wife went all out this year decorating.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2cxhtoi.jpg

Here is the meat I cooked for later

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uhmqdv.jpg

Here is the turkey we demolished for Thanksgiving

http://i38.tinypic.com/29pae0n.jpg

I have so much to be thankful for. I make it a priority everyday to spend time being thankful.

Derek Simonds
11-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Saturday November 29

BJJ started with traditional warmup and then worked attacks off of an attempted butterfly guard pass. I have been playing a ton of butterfly so this fit right into my overall strategy.

First move was a block of the pass then step over the top arm and sit into a kimura. Next was armbar when your opponent tries to roll out of kimura. Then we played with several variants on each and finished with taking the back from a fake kimura attack. Out of all of them taking the back was by far my favorite. It is fast and virtually undefendable if you are positioned correctly.

Delaney warmed up with me and bowed in and out with the class. Lots of good memories with her on the mat with me.

Derek Simonds
12-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Monday December 1

HIGH GRAVITY MONDAY

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Jump Rope

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 175 X 1, 210 X 5 X 3 (PR)

Press 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 107 X 5 (PR)

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 245 X 5, 285 X 5, 320 X 5 (PR)

Everything felt unbelievably heavy, way heavier then Friday. On the 5th rep of the 2nd set of BS I almost fell on my face. That was a good reminder to stay focused when you have a pr on your back. I ended up taking two steps forward to catch the weight, ugly. On the 5th rep of the 3rd set of DL I had to let go of the bar regrip and take a huge breath before I pulled. The press was actually the easiest of all today. I am lifting heavy two more times this week then next week is half volume. I think I will be ready for it.

Allen Yeh
12-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Nice PR's!

Nice pictures of food! awesome!

Derek Simonds
12-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Wednesday December 3

Long 3 days. I had to go to the Keys for a project development meeting. I know there are worse places to be made to go. I drove down after working out on Monday and drove back Wednesday afternoon. Lots of work, loads of food and less sleep then I would like. Once I got home I had a very quick lifting session.

D W/U

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 3
Pullups and Chinups 5P, 5C, 5P, 5C, 5P

FBBC Big Squeeze Curls + 20 LB's 12 X 3

Like I said nice and fast. Just wanted to do something and my back and legs weren't really happy after 6 hours in the car. So there you go.

Allen Yeh
12-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Cluster sets are kind of messed up! I've done sets in the past where I'd rest for 10 seconds then bang out some more reps and then be done. I did clusters for incline bench and pullups yesterday and that was rough. Ended up having to drop weight just to make it to the 5th set.

Kevin Perry
12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I like that turkey

Allen Yeh
12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I like that turkey

Check out this Turducken:

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38131

Then read this:
http://legorobotcomics.com/?id=24

Derek Simonds
12-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Thursday December 5

MMA Was tough. Once again we hit it hard on the conditioning. I was just absolutely covered in sweat after the first 20 minutes. We worked more variants from sprawl control. Really nice series that we have been working on. This just keeps building.

Friday December 6

D W/U
Jump Rope

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 205 X 5, 3, 3 (just didn't have it today)

Press 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 110 X 5 X 3 (PR)

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 285 X 5, 325 X 5 (PR)

http://i36.tinypic.com/280i4pe.jpg

P/U 3 X 6

Standing BB Curl 45 X 20 X 4
BB Extension 11 X 20 X 4

Well today was the last day of the first cycle of this hybrid. I have hit a tremendous amount of PR's and my absolute strength has gone through the roof. I will weigh in when I take a shower and figure out how much weight I actually put on. I look bigger but I think I only gained a couple of pounds. The squats today I screwed up big time. I was talking with Leo and we were discussing the width of my arms when I am under the bar. I started playing with that and by the time I got to the work sets I just couldn't get comfortable. Whats the old adage about working on your golf swing during a round. Duh! I really wanted 215 today but just couldn't get it to feel right. The press was hard on the last rep of the last set but other than that it felt great. The DL just keeps on a trucking. 400 here I come.

I will add the DL video a little later.

Derek Simonds
12-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Here is the DL's from today. Pretty pleased with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUqMa4l-js

Allen Yeh
12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
AWESOME! That set looked EASY! You should be able to hit for 400+ no problems. I'm seeing 415 at least.

Allen Yeh
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm going to catch up on the DL, granted my exercise was slightly elevated, but I was pleased with it. I was shocked I managed 5 reps on my last set!

Derek Simonds
12-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Saturday December 6

Training ADD

Delaney didn't want to go to BJJ so I hung out at the house and did stuff with her and mom. We have the annual Deland Christmas parade tonight. Right smack in the middle of the SEC Championship! What the? Who planned this shennanigan? Delaney is marching with Brownies, Jr with his gymnastics team and Tracy has a float for her massage business. Me I will be making sure that everyone is where they are supposed to be.

D W/U
FBBC Big Squeeze Curl + 20 X 10, + 30 X 10 X 2

L/R 10 LB Plate Curl X 10, 15 LB Plate Curl X 10, 20 LB Plate Curl X 5

Rolling Thunder DL L/R 80 X 5, 90 X 5, 95 X 5

Push Ups Plus X 12 X 5

3 Inch DB Handle Curl + 10 LB's extended all the way out X 5 X 3

1 Hand 2 X 25 LB Plate Pinch L/R both hands all the way up just couldn't hold for any length of time. Basically up and down.

2 Hand 25 LB Plate Pinch X 20 Seconds, 2 Hand 35 LB Plate Pinch X 20 Seconds X 3

Off to the parade.

Derek Simonds
12-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Monday December 8

Recovery week!

25 minutes of intervals on recumbant bicycle.

Tuesday December 9

5 Minutes Elliptical W/U

1a) Thrusters X 5 45, 55, 65, 75, 85
1b) Pull Ups 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

2) Incline DB Bench X 5 25, 35, 45, 55

3a) DL 135 X 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
3b) Hanging Knees to Elbow 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

4a) Decline Sit Ups 10, 10, 10, 10
4b) Back Extension 5, 5, 5, 5
4c) Standing Wrist Curl X 45 20, 20, 20, 20

5a) Seated Wrist Extension X 20 15, 10, 10, 10
5b) Plate Curls 10 LB X 10 L/R X 4

It was tough keeping the intensity dialed back. I might have to revisit my recovery week protocols.

I was in a meeting from 7:30 to 5:30 yesterday and am getting ready to do it all over again. I am not good at long meetings. Oh well at least today I get to be in charge starting at 1:00.

Dang I feel like I have been slacking I was halfway down the middle of the second page. It is so awesome to see all these training logs being kept up to date.

Derek Simonds
12-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Wednesday December 10

25 Minutes hill intervals on the treadmill (BORING)

Thursday December 11

5 Minute W/U Treadmill

D W/U

1) FS 45 X 5, 95 x 5 x 5

2a) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 65 X 5 X 5
2b) Chin Up 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

3) DL 135 X 5 X 5

4a) DB Incline Bench 35 X 5, 45 X 5, 5, 5
4b) DB Row 35 X 5 X 4

5a) 25 LB Plate Russian Twist X 20, 10, 10
5b) 25 LB Plate OH Sit Up
5c) 45 BB Standing Wrist Curl

6a) 20 LB BB Wrist Extension 20, 15, 15
6b) Back Extension 5, 5, 5

Nice and quick. I was done in 45 minutes. One more day of insane meetings and I am out of here. I will be heading to Huntsville for a quick meeting tomorrow then home! I miss FS's I might have to add them in next cycle.

Derek Simonds
12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Saturday December 13

Advanced BJJ

Today's class was awesome we had 15 - 20 blue belts plus a couple of purple belts on the mat. Loads of good competitive fun.

Trained armbar from knee on the belly. Really drilled this hard. This by the way is my absolute favorite move for no gi. I set it up with knee on belly from side control and as soon as they block and shrimp slide into the knee on belly. Once we had that down we worked counter to the escape where the armbaree rolls and tries to pull their arm out. It was basically an omoplata but I really don't know what it is called. Last move was another counter to the armbar escape where you go for the forward omoplata and then take their back.

I rolled non stop for 15 minutes before my daughter told me that we had to go. She had a birthday party to get to you see! Rolled with 2 different guys who both were amazed at how tight I was playing. Everything just seemed to flow. Love those days when they happen. The last guy is one of my friends who I roll with a lot and I was in side control and popped to knee on belly and was teasing him saying didn't we work on a move like this in class today. He was trying not to laugh and trying to escape without me armbarring him all at the same time. Good times.

R. Alan Hester
12-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Saturday December 13

Advanced BJJ

Today's class was awesome we had 15 - 20 blue belts plus a couple of purple belts on the mat. Loads of good competitive fun.

Trained armbar from knee on the belly. Really drilled this hard. This by the way is my absolute favorite move for no gi. I set it up with knee on belly from side control and as soon as they block and shrimp slide into the knee on belly. Once we had that down we worked counter to the escape where the armbaree rolls and tries to pull their arm out. It was basically an omoplata but I really don't know what it is called. Last move was another counter to the armbar escape where you go for the forward omoplata and then take their back.

I rolled non stop for 15 minutes before my daughter told me that we had to go. She had a birthday party to get to you see! Rolled with 2 different guys who both were amazed at how tight I was playing. Everything just seemed to flow. Love those days when they happen. The last guy is one of my friends who I roll with a lot and I was in side control and popped to knee on belly and was teasing him saying didn't we work on a move like this in class today. He was trying not to laugh and trying to escape without me armbarring him all at the same time. Good times.

The armbar from knee on belly is great. It takes a lot of control when on bottom to not push on the knee, as it is a natural reaction.

Derek Simonds
12-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Sunday December 14

Nice recovery last two days. I ran my arse off trying to get everything I needed to done yesterday. Both of the kids had activities last night and this morning was our annual Breakfast with Santa at the Ritz. It isn't until we have gone to the Ritz for breakfast that I really feel like it is Christmas. I don't know what it is but just seeing the kids with Santa and hanging with all the friends and family that go with us it just gets me in the proper mood.

Here is a picture from this morning.

http://i38.tinypic.com/15rfe2w.jpg

I am really looking forward to tomorrow morning. I plan on upping the intensity level and adding in a couple of additional exercises.

Derek Simonds
12-14-2008, 03:05 PM
By the way my wife is incredible.

While I was gone last week she was squatting. Yeah to the squat! She worked up from 10 reps with the bar to 1 rep at 120 LB's. She laddered all the way up and it ended being something like a 55 reps.

She hasn't squatted in a couple of years and she ends up reping out to a BW squat. I wouldn't have been able to walk if I had done that.

Allen Yeh
12-15-2008, 02:12 AM
That's a nice picture.

Derek Simonds
12-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks Bro,

Monday December 15

Jump Rope 120

D W/U

EC Foam Rolling (during which I nutted myself, oof)

1a) Squat 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 3, 205 X 5 X 3
1b) P/U 5, 4, 3

2a) Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 170 X 5 X 3
2b) DB Row 40 X 5, 45 X 5 X 3

3) DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 255 X5, 285 X 5, 315 X 5

4a) BB Wrist Curl 65 X 20 X 3
4b) BB Wrist Extension 16 X 20 X 3

5) 10 LB Bumper Plate Curls X 10 X 2

The only thing that felt good this morning was my bench. It felt like I had forgotten how to squat. The dang DL's were HEAVY. Oh well. Next off week I am doing the same exercises for the same weight with half the volume.

My schedule is a little dynamic this week so I plan on attending BJJ GI fundamentals and advanced tonight. The kids have a Christmas program at school tomorrow and I don't know if I will be in town later this week. Planning on it but who knows.

Derek Simonds
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Monday December 15 PM

Gi Fundamentals: Worked arm drag from butterfly guard to taking the back. Nice and simple move. Then we worked sweep from butterfly where you grab around the waist, put your head on their chest, hip out slightly, trap their same side arm, fall to your shoulder bringing them with you and kick your inside leg so that they spin over and you can take 100 kilo. This is one of my favorite butterfly sweeps so it is always good to work it.

Gi Advanced: Worked a closed guard pass where you get double underhooks on their legs and pin their knee to their forehead. Nice and painful pass. Another one I really enjoy. Did 10 minutes of positional drilling and I was able to get several guard passes.

After drilling we started grappling. 4 matches tonight. After each one I thought I am done I am not going to go again. But each time I would get a new partner and go at it. First match pulled off a nice sweep and followed with a good sub. I was working a kimura from back to side transition when time expired. Next match was with the strongest guy in the gym. We are the exact same size he just is significantly stronger then me. He jumped me instantly off the start and got around my guard and took side. I got my near side hand underhooked on his body and started working for the north south escape. I couldn't get out and he couldn't get any better position so that is where we ended after 5 minutes. Next match was with one of the HS students who is on the wrestling team and he just went at me hard and I subbed him twice quick and then I went to no gi grips so that he could work position instead of me dragging him around by his gi. Really good kid and I like working with him a ton.

Last match of the night I couldn't get a partner and Fabio calls one of the black belts to grapple with me. he says well I was avoiding him and Fabio says he will be much better for you Derek. We start and I slide into butterfly and he jumps to standing to try and pass. When he did this I was really working to get spider. He was trying to drive my legs down and pass. When he did this I already had one leg high and I had two hands on his one arm and just pulled him right into a triangle. Not just any triangle the absolute best triangle I have ever pulled off in class. When he came in I even was able to hip out a little and get a better angle. Yep I got the submission. First time ever for submitting a black belt. We reset and I was able to get the mount and that is where it ended.

Good night and I am absolutely exhausted.

Leo Soubbotine
12-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey man!
Thanks for the thumbs up on the CF.com.

I was wondering - do you work regular hours everyday or do you have some M-F mornings/evenings off?

R. Alan Hester
12-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Monday December 15 PM

Gi Fundamentals: Worked arm drag from butterfly guard to taking the back. Nice and simple move. Then we worked sweep from butterfly where you grab around the waist, put your head on their chest, hip out slightly, trap their same side arm, fall to your shoulder bringing them with you and kick your inside leg so that they spin over and you can take 100 kilo. This is one of my favorite butterfly sweeps so it is always good to work it.

Gi Advanced: Worked a closed guard pass where you get double underhooks on their legs and pin their knee to their forehead. Nice and painful pass. Another one I really enjoy. Did 10 minutes of positional drilling and I was able to get several guard passes.

After drilling we started grappling. 4 matches tonight. After each one I thought I am done I am not going to go again. But each time I would get a new partner and go at it. First match pulled off a nice sweep and followed with a good sub. I was working a kimura from back to side transition when time expired. Next match was with the strongest guy in the gym. We are the exact same size he just is significantly stronger then me. He jumped me instantly off the start and got around my guard and took side. I got my near side hand underhooked on his body and started working for the north south escape. I couldn't get out and he couldn't get any better position so that is where we ended after 5 minutes. Next match was with one of the HS students who is on the wrestling team and he just went at me hard and I subbed him twice quick and then I went to no gi grips so that he could work position instead of me dragging him around by his gi. Really good kid and I like working with him a ton.

Last match of the night I couldn't get a partner and Fabio calls one of the black belts to grapple with me. he says well I was avoiding him and Fabio says he will be much better for you Derek. We start and I slide into butterfly and he jumps to standing to try and pass. When he did this I was really working to get spider. He was trying to drive my legs down and pass. When he did this I already had one leg high and I had two hands on his one arm and just pulled him right into a triangle. Not just any triangle the absolute best triangle I have ever pulled off in class. When he came in I even was able to hip out a little and get a better angle. Yep I got the submission. First time ever for submitting a black belt. We reset and I was able to get the mount and that is where it ended.

Good night and I am absolutely exhausted.
A sub on a blackbelt--awsome!! I don't think I need to roll with you in Jan, as you are way to good for me. ;)

Derek Simonds
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey man!
Thanks for the thumbs up on the CF.com.

I was wondering - do you work regular hours everyday or do you have some M-F mornings/evenings off?

I work fairly regular hours when I am in town. I will call you later.

Derek Simonds
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
A sub on a blackbelt--awsome!! I don't think I need to roll with you in Jan, as you are way to good for me. ;)

Well you know that even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again. I can't wait to see you in January.

Derek Simonds
12-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Wednesday December 17

This was so odd that I decided I needed to log it. First time in 5 years of keeping records that I didn't get up for a planned workout. Not that I didn't have the desire. Apparently when I checked the alarm last night I hit a button that changed my timezone from EST to PST. So I wake up roll over look at the clock see that it is 3:53 and think man I feel pretty good for that early. Then I realize how bright it is, sit up and go oh crap something is wrong.

So tonight I plan on working out when I get home. Lets see how that will work.

Derek Simonds
12-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Wednesday December 17 PM

D W/U

B W/U

EC Foam Rolling (I have some pretty significant DOMS don't know if it was from grappling or Mondays WO)

1)Power Clean 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5, 135 X 5, 145 X 5, 5

2) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3

3) Zercher's 105 X 10 X 3 (Just didn't have the heart to go heavy, BLAH)

4a) S/U's + 55 LB Sandbag 15 X 4
4b) 2 Hand Plate Pinch 25's X 5, 35's X 5, 5, 45's X 5

5a) B/E 10 X 4
5b) BB Wrist Curls 20 X 3, 10
5c) BB Wrist Extensions 20 X 3, 10

Out of time and energy plus I tweaked a muscle in my neck / upper traps when I was pressing so I am calling this thing done. Finished with some more foam rolling.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Isn't Foam Rolling something you wished you would have started, like, 20 years ago?

What do you suppose you did to your neck? I often do stuff like that when I forget to "stick my head through the window" on the lock out.

Are you Zerching your bars from the floor, or deadlifting them to the knees, sitting back resting the bar on the leg, then zerching them from knee height? I've seen it done both ways - I prefer the floor, but, to be honest, I've never done it the knee way.

How goes the battle with the little ones?

all the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
12-18-2008, 10:15 AM
The down time I could have eliminated in my life if I had found foam rolling sooner is unmeasurable!

On the press I do what I call Dan John lockouts at the end. It is a combination of upside down shrug and the final part of the press. I am pretty sure that my right side scapula wasn't as tight as it should have been when I was doing the lockouts and I just felt the muscle twinge and kind of kink up. Some NSAID's, ice and heat and I am in pretty good shape today.

I asked Dave about the Zercher's because I was doing them all from the floor and he suggested that I do rack Zercher's. I can definitely do more weight out of the rack and am not far behind my BS at all (not saying much). Last night I picked the bar up off the ground and then just did sets of 10 and set it back down again.

The kids are fantastic. I don't know if you saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ege_CDIIbTE but at the beginning Jr DL's 100 LB's. The next piece with Delaney my 6 year old girl is actually just as special to me because she always wants to workout with daddy and she really worked hard on her workout.

Thanks for asking. From what I read in your training log you got a ton of weight hitting the bar and a tough case in court. Always seems to be that way. Best of luck with both.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Thursday December 18 PM

MMA: 10 Minutes of shadow boxing, sprawls and takedowns for warmup. Immediately went to 2 3 minute rounds of kicking. First minute singles, second doubles and finished with 1 minute of hight kicks all using the big kicking shields. Went to the ground and work open guard pass where you duck under the leg. Good practice. This is not the way I like to pass so I need to work it more. Practiced that then drilled for 6 minutes on live passing. Finished with 2 5 minute rounds in the octagon. Only 6 of us at class tonight so I go the octagon 1 other guy took the ring and the last guy was on the mats.

First round with a really good muay thai and BJJ player. Things are different though when you can pin someone to the cage and punch. That is where we ended up and I was able to control the pace from there. Next round was with a really big guy 220 plus. I was able to control him pretty much the same way by getting him up against the cage and working from there. I did get an armbar from the mount and a triangle while sparring with him. Good class and home to feed.

I weighed in before class and was at 197.6. After class I was 195.0 I lost 2.6 LB's in a 1 hour session. I am so close to 200 LB's but I am starting to feel soft around the middle and don't really like it.

Allen Yeh
12-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Thursday December 18 PM
I weighed in before class and was at 197.6. After class I was 195.0 I lost 2.6 LB's in a 1 hour session. I am so close to 200 LB's but I am starting to feel soft around the middle and don't really like it.

That is a crazy amount of water to lose! 2.6 pounds in an hour, what do you typically do to rehydrate after a session like that? Gatorade? Pickle juice? just plain water? PWO type of shake?

I'm sitting around 192 right now and I'm pretty damn shocked that I''m lower bodyfat right now than I have been since April?, even though my weight is about the same range.

BTW I had a bizarre dream last night that you left me a voicemail telling me you were going to start Maximum Strength. I actually wasn't sure this morning if it actually happened or it was a dream, whichever case don't do that again unless you bring the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders with you next time.:cool:

Leo Soubbotine
12-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Tomorrow (Saturday)
http://www.crossfitevolution.com/xmas-wod-party/ - if you can - be there!

Derek Simonds
12-19-2008, 07:11 AM
It's not cheating if it is in a dream right? If that's the case the cheerleaders are on their way!

Leo work has a major suck factor right now and Saturday looks totally screwed. I will know for sure shortly and will call and confirm. Thanks for the invite.

Friday December 19

I had the joy of working out with my wife this morning. Not really sure what got into her but she wanted to get up and work out with me. My son was so flabbergasted that he said mom you have to wake me up I want to watch. She didn't find that as cute as I did. :D

D W/U
Jump Rope
EC Foam Rolling
Mobility Work (I showed Tracy a ton of different moves so she can incorporate them into her workouts)

1a) BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3 (Major problem today, Tracy is significantly shorter than me and I don't have a rack, squat stands only)
1b) Chin Ups 5, 4, 3

2a) Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 5 X 3
2b) BB Row 95 X 10 X 3

3) DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 295 X 5, 330 X 5 (PR that was really heavy and I will be paying for later)

http://i39.tinypic.com/wi6lb7.jpg

4a) 20 LB Med Ball Russian Twists on B/E 20 X 4
4b) 65 LB Standing wrist curl 20 X 4
4c) 16 LB Seated wrist extension 20 X 4
4d) Plank 1 minute X 4

5a) 55 LB Sandbag S/U's X 12 X 3
5b) 80 LB Rolling Thunder DL 5r/5l X 3

One final note. Tracy did all the same exercises except bench, she did push ups. As always with my wife I was very impressed. She rocked through everything. She was getting a little bored with me taking 3 minutes between sets though. Gonna have to work on that....

Allen Yeh
12-19-2008, 07:19 AM
330 x 5! nice!

Derek Simonds
12-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Saturday December 20

Last day of craziness for a while at work.

D W/U

KB C&J 16 KG 60 total 10 L/R x 3 times

KB Snatch 16 KG 60 total 10 L/R 3 times

10 LB Plate Curls X 12 L/R

FBBC Big Squeeze +32 LB's Curls X 10 X 3

FBBC Big Squeeze Pinch Suitcase DL's + 22 LB's Really difficult to do. But loads of fun. I managed to totally drop the rig a couple of times.

2 hand pinch 45's X 5 seconds X 2 X 5

BB Wrist Curl 45 LB's X 20 X 4
BB Wrist Extension 11 LB's X 20 X 4

Really just wanted something to do to burn off a little anxious energy before work.

Derek Simonds
12-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Monday Decmeber 22

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Wall Slides

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 195 x 5, 205 x 5 x 2
P/U 6, 4, 3

Press 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 115 X 4, 4, 3
DB Row (each side) 40 X 10 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5 X 2

Plate Pinch Curl 10 LB'er + 5 LB'er both slippery side out 10 X 3 (each side)

Hammer grip curl with 3 inch handle and 10 LB weight all the way out R 10 X 3, L 8, 6, 6

Standing BB Wrist Curl 45 X 20 X 4
Seated BB Wrist Extension 11 LB X 20 X 4

The BS's were a moral victory of sorts. I have been working to get my position under the bar better and today all the work came together. My biggest focus is now that my hips and shoulders rise at the same time. As I get tired my hips will get ahead of my shoulders. I also used my blue suede do-wins for everything today instead of taking them off to DL. It felt a little different but nothing I can't deal with.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zmm59h.jpg

The press I probably could have squeezed out the 5th rep on the first two sets but it would have been with a sway back so I didn't do it. I am going to stay at 115 for Friday and get all 5 reps!

Derek Simonds
12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
December 24 Merry Christmas Eve!

Tracy and I started our day with our golfing tradition. Beautiful morning here in Sunny Central Florida.

http://i43.tinypic.com/k2mesj.jpg

Derek Simonds
12-24-2008, 12:45 PM
December 24 Merry Christmas Part Deux!

D W/U

Farmers Walks X 50 M 28 KG KB and 24 KG KB X 4

2 hand kb swings 24 KG KB X 10 X 3, 28 KG KB X 10 no rest other than a breath or two.

LC Snatch 16 KG KB switch every 6 reps up to 60 reps total (higher level of suckage than expected)

LCC&J 16 KG KB switch every 6 reps up to 60 reps total (don't know what happened to me but I am destroyed)

100 M Sprints X 5

I was happy with my form on everything just the work capacity was not what I was expecting. I focused on a couple of cues from Scott Sonnon and was really pleased with the results. The main one was leading with the thumb into the swing so you build energy through curling your entire body, or something like that.

FBBC Big Squeeze + 32 LB's Curls X 10 X 4

BB Crush X 20 X 3
BB Wrist Curl X 20 X 3
BB Wrist Extension X 20 X 3

10 LB Plate Curls X 10 X 2

25 lb Plate Curls X 1 R/ almost L

40 LB DB Shrugs X 12 X 3

Finished with a little sweat angel for all you folks dealing with the cold, rain, sleet and snow!

http://i43.tinypic.com/30vncx4.jpg

Derek Simonds
12-25-2008, 01:41 PM
December 25 Merry Christmas

D W/U
B W/U

All done as a ladder sets of 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3

135 LB Power Clean + L Pullups

185 LB Front Squats

185 LB Bench

Clean Pull 185 X 3, 3 235 X 3

A quick little video of Leo and I lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDZ2cScXMc0

My wife made breakfast casserole and we tore it up after lifting. Me and the family are off to my moms for Christmas there. I plan on being in a food coma shortly.

Derek Simonds
12-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Friday December 26

The menfolk decided to be Hunters yesterday and headed out for a dove hunt.

http://i42.tinypic.com/14w8tas.jpg

Jr and his cousin were getting a little restless waiting on the birds. Hmm I can't remember anyone else like that ever. I am not sure if the coke can was keeping the birds out or not. I guess I will never know for sure.

http://i42.tinypic.com/n1pfvc.jpg

Jr also decided to carve out a mini bow and arrow in case any really small animals attacked us.

http://i44.tinypic.com/120ma74.jpg

As the sun was setting I was amazed at the view. It could have been somewhere on the plains of Africa just as easily as in FL.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1phxg4.jpg

Nothing to fantastic but we did get 12 birds and have them cleaned and ready to cook for dinner tomorrow night. Dove breast wrapped in bacon = yummy!

Derek Simonds
12-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Saturday December 27

D W/U
RKC Armbar here are is my first go at it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5a97dcn-QM
Mobility work

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 205 X 5 X 2, 215 x 5 (I finally have my positioning under the bar fixed. Everything felt great)

Press 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 115 X 3, 2, 3 (just didn't have any upper body strength today. On the 2nd work set I hit myself right in the chin with the bar. That smarted.

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 5, 345 X 3 (I stepped away from the bar and should have never done that. I was done as soon as I let go. Still really happy with this as a PR for Reps I will get all 5 on Monday!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZIQe2MBwFA

We cleaned up and then headed out to BJJ. Somebody (Delaney) was officially joining the Gracie Barra training family today.

We warmed up with some traditional stuff then worked some stack passes to crucifix. Very cool stuff. I finished by grappling for 10 minutes with Zach. About the only thing good I was able to pull off was a sweep from spider guard. Zach is the strongest guy I have ever grabbed a hold of. It was a great way to end the day.

Here is Delaney getting her belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57ET3s3O4I

Derek Simonds
12-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Monday December 29

D W/U
Mobility Work
Shoulder Prehab

1a) BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 205 X 5, 215 X 5, 225 X 5 (PR FOR REPS!)
1b) P/U 6, 5, 3

2a) Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
2b) DB Row 40 X 10 X 2, 50 X 10 X 2

3) DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 5, 345 X 1, 365 X Miss

Finished with 1 hour of muay thai pad work. Drill after drill after drill.

Derek Simonds
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Tuesday December 30

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling (man am I sore)

Grappling at the house for about 90 minutes. Worked up a really good sweat and drilled a ton of moves.

Derek Simonds
12-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Wednesday December 31

AM BJJ
Private with Fabio and Rafael. All about the guard pass. We worked variant after variant from the basic break the guard open and pass to some pretty cool sit out versions. All based on body position. Finished with 3 minute drills passing guard.

Final workout of the year with Steve, Andy and Corbett

EC Foam Rolling

Sparring drills for 3 minute rounds down and back.

D W/U

Ladders A'La Leo reps of 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3

1a) Power Clean 135 LB's really felt explosive today
1b) L Sit P/U's actually held V's!

Partner Work 1 Partner does one exercise till finished then the other partner does their exercise till finished

2a) 55 LB Sandbag OH Walk X 50M's
2b) 10 Burpees
Rinse and repeat until each person has done both activities 4 times.

3a) 55 LB Sandbag Rows X 10
3b) 16 KG KB Push Press X 10 L, R
Same as above repeat until each person has done both activities 4 times.

Pretty darn spiffy workout.

Derek Weaver
12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks like you've had a pretty solid year in the gym and on the mats. Solid work. Here's to an even better one in 2009.

P.S.
that's a solid partner workout there. I need to make a new sandbag...

Derek Simonds
01-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks Derek. It has been a good year. I was talking over some of the highlights with a friend last evening. I am looking forward to 2009 and it will be even better.

Sandbags are awesome. I have one homemade bag that can be loaded up to 150 LB's and I have two I bought from somewhere that can be loaded up to 60 LB's.

Allen Yeh
01-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Happy New Year!

Derek Simonds
01-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Friday January 2

AM

D W/U and a quick workout while rearranging the garage gym. Very excited.

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3

Pendlay Row 45 X 10, 95 X 10 X 3

Lots of time up and down the attic stairs and even more time bent halfway over rearranging stuff in the attic. End result is just freaking fantastic. I will post some pics later.

AM 2

Private with Fabio and Rafael. Worked a little on armbar, omoplata triangle sequence then moved on to using the turtle while you have one of your opponents arms trapped between youur legs. Basically you were in closed guard and threw your legs over your head while holding one sleeve. End results turtle with one of their arms between your legs. From there we worked going back to guard with a triangle, a sweep where you just sat backwards and pulled them down and another sweep where you rolled them over by sitting up and pulling them over backwards.

Finished with some inverted triangle work and some resistance drilling. Very good class and loads of stuff to work on.

Derek Simonds
01-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Saturday January 3

D W/U

Muay Thai Pad Work 15 minutes of 3 minute rounds

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3 X 3
DB Row 40 X 10, 50 X 10, 5, 5

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
P/U's 5, 5, 5

TKO one round of Fight Gone bad

20 LB Wallball 27
75 LB Push Press 18
Box Jumps 23
Sumo Deadlift High Pulls 23
Row 37 strokes at over 300 watts no idea how many calories

I was smoked today. I had no idea how smoked until I started working out. It has been a good long week. Jr has his first gymnastics meet today so I am getting out of here. I will post pictures later this weekend.

Derek Weaver
01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Big volume week. Those are impressive wallballs and box jumps on FGB. I hate/love that workout. One of the finer designed wods by Glassman if you ask me.

Derek Simonds
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I am going into a half volume week for recovery so it was a nice finish. I probably over did it by half this week. I am sore all over but in a good way. The push press after the wallball was ridiculous. I really felt like I could have broke 30 all the way but fell way short.

Derek Simonds
01-05-2009, 04:06 AM
Monday January 5

Back to work baby!

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Mobility Work

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 5

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 70 X 5 X 5
P/U 3 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 5

Anti Rotation on B/E 20 seconds per side X 3

Plank 1 minute X 3

Leo Soubbotine
01-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Derek,

We'll be bike riding this Sunday morning. If you got some time - call me up if you can make it.

Derek Simonds
01-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Tuesday January 6th

I had to get up at 4:45 this morning to take my friend to the airport. Yeah that sucks. I am already tired sitting at my desk. I got home right on time to start my workout. For the next 4 weeks I am on a different schedule. M, T, W off, H off, F, S, S off. We will see how this works out. Saturday is going to be a clean up and met-con day so I can start getting some work capacity back.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Power Clean 45 X 7, 95 X 3 X 5

Incline Bench 30 X 5, 40 X 5 X 5
Pendlay Row 95 X 5 X 4

Clean Pull 135 X 3 X 3

Russian Twists 20 LB Med Ball X 20 X 4
B/E X 7 X 4

Nice and easy no worries.

Derek Simonds
01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Thursday January 8

MMA

During the warmup Fabio says to me I think I am going to make someone puke tonight. Nice at least now I know what I have to look forward to. Just pure MMA cardio pushing the gas the entire time. The cardio madness ended with 40 armbars off a punch and 40 triangles off a punch. That right there will make the abs sore for a week.

Finished with 5 minute rounds of monkey in the middle switching opponents every minute. Guy in middle fought from guard and had to sweep or submit. Guy on top tried to escape or pass. Punching to the face was legal. My turn I averaged at least 2 subs or sweeps per opponent. I paid the price though my face is banged up! Good training and totally drained.

Home to watch the Florida Gators win the national championship.

Derek Simonds
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Friday January 9

D W/U with tons of mobility work
EC Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 5

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 5
40 LB DB Row X 10 X 4

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 5 (No rest just basically finish other guy lifts and go again)

4 rounds 30 seconds per station AMRAP

35 LB sandbag situps 7, 7, 8, 10
B/E 10, 10, 10, 10 (I was knocking them out easily)
55 LB sandbag shoulder clean switch sides each rep 12, 10, 8, 10

Pretty nice little finisher. Got the abs and back plus some sandbag cleaning not too shabby. My workout partner couldn't finish the 3rd round. I will blame his inability to finish on his low carb diet. I can only imagine what he is going to be like tomorrow after thrusters and sprints then KB swings and sledge hammerin!

Derek Simonds
01-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Saturday January 10

D W/U
Mobility

Split Jerk alternating front leg 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 5 X 2, 135 X 3, 155 X 2, 1

I had the 3 jerks in me with 155 I just couldn't get it back into the rack position comfortably. The hardest part about heavier jerks for me is the negative.

3 rounds of 21, 15, 9 for time of

28 KG KB Swings
20 LB Med Ball Slams
Burpees

All the swings and slams were unbroken and the burpees were 7,7,7 / 5,5,5 / 9 for a total time of 8:40! That was the hardest I have worked in a long time. Jr did the same workout except he did 4 KG KB swings, 10 LB Ball Slams and burpees for 3 rounds of 21! He finished just a couple of seconds before me. Good thing for him he has 3 hours of gymnastics now. :D My two neighbors also did the workout scaled for them and hated it.

Off to cheerleading with Laney and then BJJ for me and back home to chill for the rest of the day.

Derek Simonds
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Saturday January 10

I believe that Fabio's New Years Resolution was to absolutely crush us with cardio. Class started with 25 minutes of ridiculous back and forth up and down the mat. Lot of partner work. We ended with 30 butterfly sweep lifts. That really sucked after training this morning.

Class was all about the butterfly sweep. We worked three variants and I had a blast with all the sweeps. Butterfly is an integral part of my game now and I really enjoy the practice. I also worked on defensive positions for the sweep. Finished class with 2 5 minute rounds of positional grappling. All starts from butterfly and guy in butterfly sweep only guy on top escape or pass only. If either happens reset.

I love this position and was able to work at will with it. I pulled off many many sweeps in my 5 minutes and was able to pass easily when I was on top. The guy I was training with is also a blue belt and a 5 year judoka. When we were working standup he schooled me on the throws. Really enjoyed training with him today.

After class spent 30 minutes at open mat waiting for Delaney to wake up. No full on grappling just all drilling with full resistance. Worked from open, closed and north south. Loads of fun.

Apparently Delaney was comfortable as she slept the entire class and I had to wake her up to get home.

http://i41.tinypic.com/wrezo3.jpg

R. Alan Hester
01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Cute picture.

Sounds like your butterfly is solid. Does it make passes easier since you play it all the time?

Derek Simonds
01-11-2009, 05:37 AM
I am pretty sure that since I play it so much it is much easier for me to pass. The secret to butterfly for me is that you have to keep the person off balance / uncomfortable the entire time. If you aren't pushing or pulling against your opponents legs you will get passed much easier.

Derek Simonds
01-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Tuesday January 13

D W/U

Thrusters with DB's 20's 10, 30 X 10, 40 X 8, 50 X 5, 5

In a circuit rest between rounds
Incline DB Bench 40 X 10, 50 X 10 X 3
Row 40 X 10 , 50 X 10 X 3
Shrug 40 X 10 , 50 X 10 X 3

45 Degree Roman Chair 10, 10
Plank feet on a med ball 30 seconds, 20 seconds

I was the bug today!

Derek Simonds
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Tuesday January 13 PM

Rode the indoor bicycle for about 10 - 15 minutes and I hated it even more then normal. So moved over to the elliptical and did 20 minutes with a 6 round tabata sprint in the middle. At least I am completely soaked with sweat. Last couple of days I haven't been normal. Really sleeping crappy and just not right. I wonder if I am fighting something. Tomorrow if all goes according to plan I am lifting at a YMCA in Easton PA. Here's to a good nights sleep.

Leo Soubbotine
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
You're fighting light weights baby! Put some weight on the bar.

And may be you need someone to yell at you like these guys! They get really fired up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6sWZ2vrTtM

Derek Simonds
01-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Unfortunately it has been several hotel workouts in a row for me. This morning I just did some stretches, situps and pushups. I need a real workout with real weights. Now I need to figure out how to get to Memphis from NJ as I just found out that I got to be there tomorrow.

R. Alan is going to be in town on Saturday and we are going to train BJJ Saturday morning and I will come by and pick up the rack afterward. Probably around 1:00 ish.

Leo Soubbotine
01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
There'll be some Scottish Games in winter springs all this Sat and Sun - we're going to go check it out. Flyer is on our blog for Tuesday. Looks pretty cool!

Derek Simonds
01-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Very cool I will check it out.

January 15 Thursday

It is cold in Memphis. Actually I am in MS but flew into Memphis. Headed over to the local YMCA. They had 40 gagillion cardio machines and 1 squat rack. Luckily it was available.

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
P/U 5, 5, 5

Press + DJ Lockout 45 x 5, 75 x 5, 95 x 5 x 3
Low Cable Row 100 X 10, 120 X 10 X 3

Rack Pulls from the knees 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5 X 2 Felt something nasty in my lower back so stopped. I did like these

Plate Curls 10 LB's X 10, 15 LB's X 10 X 2

Off to the races. I don't what is going on in Memphis but I cant find a flight home tonight. That could be problematic.

Derek Simonds
01-16-2009, 07:58 AM
So my travel journeys did not end up getting any easier. I couldn't find a flight out of Memphis so I drove 225 miles to Nashville to catch a 9:00 PM Southwest flight home. I got there and handled all the normal BS and got to the gate with 30 minutes to spare only to find out the flight was delayed. Luckily for me the gate area was filled with screaming kids on their way to Disney. Yeah me it is that time of year again. Walked into the door of the house at 2:00 AM happy to be home.

Derek Simonds
01-16-2009, 08:20 AM
January 16 Friday

Really Dynamic W/U
B W/U

Power Clean 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 2, 135 X 1, 2, 3, X 3
Chin Up Chest to Bar 1, 2, 3 X 3 (first time doing this and I was surprised at how easy it was to get chest to bar)

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 185 X 1, 2, 3 X 3
Pendlay Row 135 X 1, 2, 3 X 3

Short on time but good to get some strength work in at my own gym! It was freezing today, well actually not quite freezing but really cold so I plugged a space heater in and let the garage warm up for a wee bit before lifting.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
January 17 Saturday

7:30 AM

D W/U
2 Hammer W/U

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 195 X 3, 195 X 2, 205 X 1 (This is getting labeled a PR!)

Push Jerk 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5, 125 X 5, 135 X 5

500M Row 1:30.7 Jr rowed 2:53! very nice job for his first attempt at 500M's. The row damn near killed me. I was shaking and quivering for the next 15 minutes.

10:15 AM

Headed to BJJ and met up with Alan for a private with Fabio. Alan is one strong dude. We worked a cross arm trap to throw your legs to turtle and two different sweeps off of that. Once we practiced the sweeps we transitioned back to triangle. So we worked sweep and if didn't work we went for the triangle. Faked sweep and went for the triangle. After the private rolled with Alan for probably around 10 minutes before he had to blaze back to the conference he was attending. Once again Alan you are one strong dude.

11:30 AM

Fundamentals: Fabio is committed to death by cardio right now. Holy smokes tons of stuff plus 20 butterfly sweep lifts, 40 armbars so on and so on. All knee on the belly today. Todd helped me at the end with cleaning up my baseball choke. I wasn't getting my hips low enough before swinging my head to the other side. Worked standing pass to knee on the belly, armbar from knee on belly defense and baseball choke. Really, really fun class. I am smoked though. One of the guys that I train with practices Judo at a backyard dojo and he invited me to practice with him some Saturday mornings. That would be cool and help my stand up a ton.

I am home now and having a couple of slices of Pizza for recovery and I am going to snuggle with the kids and take a nap! UFC, Filets and Rockband tonight with several friends. Leo if you see this call me I sent you a text! Great day already.

Allen Yeh
01-17-2009, 11:11 AM
205 x 1? Sweet!How did it feel? A lot more in the tank?

Derek Simonds
01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
It felt good in the legs but I could feel my torso kind of giving a little on the drive up. There is more there I wasn't willing to crush myself up until we got to the row and then I got a little stupid.

Derek Simonds
01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
January 18 Sunday

4 Hours of shoveling pea gravel. Lets just say that I had to really stay focused to keep a moderate pace. I kept shoveling like it was a workout and there was no way I could sustain that pace for a long time. Simple solution drink beer while shoveling. This requires you to take a break and sip some suds so that the beer doesn't get warm. I had a high level of soreness today all over my entire body. Must have been good.

We spent the early part of the day working at the trailer getting ready for spring. Once the NFC Championship game started we all kicked into relax mode. My sister and her family were at their place, our neighbors were also up so we had a great group. We put a TV on my sisters deck, let the kids build a huge fire in the firepit, cooked venison chili and watched both games sitting outside. Wonderful afternoon, even if it got a little cold when the sun went down.

My sister, wife, brother in law and son in the background all relaxing. The unaccounted for beer belongs to me....

http://i43.tinypic.com/dpu1z5.jpg

A mad ass Scrabble game with the neighbors

http://i39.tinypic.com/aw3oy8.jpg

Jr and his cousin Bubba playing the bolo game (I really have no idea what it is called, sure is fun though)

http://i40.tinypic.com/qs9ifc.jpg

The Un-Paleo goodness of Smores!!!!!

http://i43.tinypic.com/2lfg1.jpg

Derek Simonds
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
January 19 Monday PM Weird time for me to lift weights but that is the way it played out today

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 195 X 5, 205 X 5, 215 X 3, 225 X 1, 232 X 1

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 165 X 5 X 3
Row 95 X 10, 105 X 10 X 2, 115 X 10

DL off 3" jerk boxes courtesy of Leo 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 295 X 5, 305 X 5

1 Round of
10 Box Jumps
10 55 LB Sandbag Shoulder Cleans
10 T pushups
1:00.57

I bet Andy that I could beat his time by half and if I did he had to do another round. He had 2:04 and I beat him that was even with me totally missing my first box jump and almost killing myself. Classic.

Great workout and doing it all again in 9 hours.....

Allen Yeh
01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Shoveling gravel is NOT fun, in college my friend said his brother wanted help with some gravel in his backyard...holy I did NOT know what I was in for when I said yes.

Derek Simonds
01-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Worst part is I am getting 3 yards of river rock delivered this week that I will be shoveling the last weekend in January.

January 20 Tuesday

D W/U
B W/U

Power Snatch + OHS 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 81 X 3, 81 X 1, X, 1 Missed the OHS just wasn't tight enough and dropped the weight forward

PC 81 X 5, 135 X 1, 145 X 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3
L Sit P/U X 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3

Press 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 100 X 5, 105 X 5, 110 X 4

I just wasnt that explosive today, Hmm I wonder why.

Derek Simonds
01-21-2009, 03:45 AM
January 20 Tuesday PM

MMA: Shadow boxing warm up then death by sprawl ball. Went from there into techniques for working the mount. Practiced covering then pop up 1, 2, armbar. I really focused on staying heavy so that my opponent couldn't move around.

Played 5 minute rounds of monkey in the middle with guy on top wearing boxing gloves and guy on bottom just trying to escape. Top guy can punch and submit, bottom guy just escape. New guy on top every 1 minute. During my turn I hurt one of the younger guys by pulling him off with my legs and he rolled over his ankle. I felt really bad. I hurt it pop so I said stop and he just laid there all goofed up.

I wasn't in a really good mood and felt worse after hurting the guy so I called it a night and headed home before no-gi.

Derek Simonds
01-21-2009, 05:49 PM
January 21 Wednesday

My stress level at work is somewhere around DefCon 5! I had two seperate clients file bankruptcy in the last two days. One client had three locations. Kind of hard to do any kind of business planning when stuff like this is happening.

BJJ Fundamentals: Nice warm up because Fabio didn't try and kill us tonight. Basic class with self defense, hip throw, 2 variants on the scissor sweep and a nice triangle to finish.

I grappled for 30 minutes with one of the white belts before class that is getting ready to test for his green belt. I told him lets go at 50% and just get some good movement in. He kept escalating it but I worked a whole bunch of stuff with him that is going to be on the test, so I felt like that should be some good karma.

Scale at the academy says 199! I am so close to my goal it is silly. I can see it. Once I hit 200 I am going to maintain for a couple of weeks and then have another run at trying to get to 215.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2009, 03:00 AM
January 21 Wednesday

My stress level at work is somewhere around DefCon 5! I had two seperate clients file bankruptcy in the last two days. One client had three locations. Kind of hard to do any kind of business planning when stuff like this is happening.

Damn.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Damn. Word!

Just so you guys know that us Floridians are suffering in this cold right along with you I post this picture from this morning.

Apparently some knuckle head, uhm that would be me, forgot to turn off the sprinklers last night.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1z3nznb.jpg

Jr was so excited he ran out broke off an icicle packed in an insulated lunch box with 4 ice packs and is taking it to school to show everyone.

Leo Soubbotine
01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
That's funny as hell! Have you played with the cage yet?

Any news on whether you can join us for Iron Knight?

Derek Simonds
01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Leo I am sorry I forgot to call. If anything I will be there for moral support and that looks like it isn't too likely.

January 21 PM

Muay Thai / MMA only two people showed up for MMA tonight. It is so cold and all people aren't traveling. :D So we combined the MMA and Muay Thai classes together and basically I got my brains punched out for 45 minutes. We worked some real cool progressions starting with 1,2 then 1,2,2 then 1,2,2,hook then 1,2,2,hook,uppercut, then 1,2,2,hook,uppercut,hook. I worked with one of the Russians that train there and his hands are so freaking fast it was tough. I felt like I was always backing up. My hands are going to be sore tomorrow.

No-Gi One of the guys I train with is getting ready for Naga on Saturday so he asked me to grapple with him. We went for 15 minutes and I really pushed it hard. In fact I came as close to puking as I ever have. He paid me a nice compliment when we were grappling by saying man I forgot how good you are. I hope I don't have to fight someone like you at the tourney. That always makes you feel better.

Joined the class worked some techniques then went to drilling guard passes with full resistance. Finished with three rounds of full on grappling. I started cramping up during the first match and it came and went all the way through to the end. I finished all my matches. It was a good night on the mat and I am absolutely smoked. I need to recover fast big Andy will be here in 8 hours to lift!

Derek Simonds
01-23-2009, 04:23 AM
January 22 Friday

D W/U
2 4LB Hammer W/U circles, strikes etc for 2 minutes
Row 2:30 Nice and easy

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 190 X 5 X 2, 200 X 5, 220, 235 (Flirting with a PR here)

Bench 45 X 5, 115 X 5, 170 X 5 X 3, 190, 215 That is a mf'ing PR!
BB Row 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 145 X 5 X 2

Super cold in the garage this morning. Squats were a little challenging since my legs were destroyed from Muay Thai kicks and grappling last night. Bench was weird I felt like I could have just kept going up. 215 was hard but not a balls out can't barely get another inch kind of hard. I really felt like I could have benched 225 or 230 but I didn't want to be greedy. Squats are progressing nicely. Leo thanks for all the help with positioning. It is really paying off.

Allen Yeh
01-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Nice! Isn't it bad when our squats are so weak that they are close to our bench numbers?:D

Derek Simonds
01-23-2009, 07:20 AM
I was feeling all rosy about my numbers up til you reminded me of that.....

Actually I was thinking about that this morning when I was lifting and I am ok with it as long as both are progressing at the same rate of speed. I got some really great technique tips from the guys on the Diesel Crew forum and it has totally changed my bench. I also have worked hard on some stuff Leo gave me in the squat. So I feel like both of these lifts are not the same mechanically as when I started this hybrid style workout.

Probably the biggest thing that has helped on both lifts is putting some mass on my back. Specifically my upper back. I can really tighten up my scapulas on the bench and I have a much better rack for the squats.

I need to look and see exactly what my PR was on BS. I think it was 247 at Leo's place last December and that was definitely not after 4 work sets. I am confident that I will be over 250 for singles by the end of January. I know I am getting close to a 300 1 RM. I am willing to work for it, I just feel it is not too far off.

Derek Simonds
01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
January 24 Saturday

Wife left this morning for her annual Wild Womens Cruise. So me and the kids are rocking it for the next week. I really look forward to the time with them.

D W/U
Mobility Stuff + Wall Slides

Hammer Time 2 4 LB Engineer Hammers

Side Swings
Roof Block + Strike
Iron Cross
Up and Across Circular
Hammer Time (Strikes)
Overhead Swings
Side Swings

Goal is 20 of each motion without stopping. My forearms were smoked halfway through. I finished all the motions but the reps dropped to 14, 10 and 20 for the last 3. Total time less than 4 minutes. I liked this a lot.

Split Jerk Alternating Forward Leg each rep 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 140 X 3, 145 X 3, 155, 165, 185 X Didn't even try.

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5 X 3

3 Rounds of

5 P/U's
10 TGU's 5 per side with 16 KG KB
10 1 Arm BB Suitcase DL's, 5 per side 95 LB's

Just a little over 10 minutes. This was a good finisher with the TGU's being the most demanding part. I was actually looking forward to getting to the P/U's so I could rest. I need to add TGU's in as a W/U exercise at least 2 days a week.

Derek Simonds
01-26-2009, 06:39 AM
January 26 Monday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

5 Minutes of RKC Armbar and TGU's with 16 KG KB

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 195 X 5, 205 X 5 X 2, 235 X 1, 250 X 1 PR!!!

http://i41.tinypic.com/i59fmp.jpg

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3

DL From Jerk Boxes 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 325 X 5 + 10 Second hold on last rep

Wow I am pleased with that 250! Great workout this morning even with making sure the kids were good to go. I have to give them credit they operated like a highly trained elite special ops force. Military precision and we had the timing down to the minute. No whining, everyone did their parts. Really an enjoyable experience. Now last see if we can do that 4 more days in a row....

Before bed last night both laid out what they were wearing to school.

http://i39.tinypic.com/4qlnvk.jpg

Then Jr handled getting the oatmeal ready while I cooked perfect eggs.

http://i41.tinypic.com/a2dkhs.jpg

Delaney handled their mid day snack by making some popcorn.

http://i41.tinypic.com/33mlq46.jpg

My only weakness might be in getting her hair under control.

Allen Yeh
01-26-2009, 06:44 AM
250 x 1! Nice!

Derek Simonds
01-27-2009, 06:27 AM
January 27 Tuesday

D W/U
Mobility

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Iron Cross
20 Side Swings

B W/U

Power Snatch 45 X 5, 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 95 X 3

Power Clean 95 X 3, 145 X 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3
L Sit P/U + 10 LB's X 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 190 X 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 135 X 10
Row 145 X 1, 1, 165 X 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 135 X 10

My workout partner hurt a muscle in his neck and was done somewhere around the beginning of the bench. He spotted me through the 6th set but then was just done. So I backed off and did a set of 10 to finish out. The 145 is a challenge on the PC's especially on the 3rd rep. I really have to focus to pull it properly.

Derek Simonds
01-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Ok even for me yesterday was a level of stoopidness that I haven't done before.

I got up at 3:45 AM went to the airport, flew to Toronto Ontario, had meetings from 1:00 to 4:30, realized there was a 7:00 PM flight home went back to the airport and flew home. I walked in the door last night at 2:03 AM.

I then got to sleep next to my wife for about 2 hours before she got up and headed to MI for a wedding we were all supposed to go to. Talk about two ships passing in the night.

I am going to give JR a big hug for having a meet this weekend. That saved us from all having to go to the cold white north. I just don't miss dealing with the cold and snow. Big Yuck! this what it looked like as I was leaving my meeting yesterday.

http://i43.tinypic.com/33djxjc.jpg

Allen Yeh
01-30-2009, 06:07 AM
I'll bet they don't even cancel school for that in Toronto.

Here they had 3-5" on Tuesday and ice on Wednesday...closed all day on Wednesday, 2 hour delay on Thursday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGv8CWun3s

Derek Simonds
01-31-2009, 05:24 AM
Saturday January 31

D W/U
Mobility

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

Freaking hard!

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 135 X 20

Ok so all that talk about 20 rep squats is for real. I was pretty much shot the rest of the workout.

Push Press 45 X 10, 95 X5, 135 X 3 X 3

Snatch Grip DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, (added straps) 185 X 5, 205 X 5, 225 X 5 (PR not that I have ever really tried to max on these but this is definitely as heavy as I have ever gone)

And that folks is all she wrote for today. Another man down. My neighbor was on his 3rd set of DL's and just bent over to put the weight down without lowering his hips at all. Lets just say that he dropped the weight and went to the ground. He was so unhappy.

I just didn't have a ton of gas today to begin with and the 20 rep squats just took it totally out of me.

I am cooking a quick breakfast and the kids and I are off to Jr's 2nd meet of the year. We watched Lord of the Rings last night along with the tribute to Pehrides (sp), the only guy in the world who can do a Victorian Cross. That fired Jr right up.

Leo Soubbotine
01-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Danny Rodriguez? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAHS2YfRlso)

Derek Simonds
02-01-2009, 07:10 AM
That would be the guy. I was remembering his middle name, kind of. Stayed up way too late watching the UFC last night. Phenomenal card. Absolutely one of the best I have seen in a while. Getting all the chores done so that I can get a workout in. I am calling my brother in law to see if he wants to lift since both my other training partners are down with injuries today.

Derek Simonds
02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
February 1 Sunday

D W/U

5 Minutes of 16 KG KB RKC Armbars and TGU's

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Upswing / Circle Blocks (don't know what to call these)
20 Side Swings

Circuit
1a) FS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 145 X 5, 155 X 5, 165 X 5, 185 X 1, 215 X F
1b) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 5
1c) P/U slightly wider grip than normal 3 X 6

2a) Bench 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 175 X 5 X 2, 135 X 10
2b) Jump Shrug / Clean Pull 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 135 DL X 10

Really nice morning and I think I covered pretty much every aspect. Horizontal and Vertical Push, Vertical Pulls, Explosive, Legs, P Chain Dominant. That pretty much sums it up. The only thing missing would be a horizontal pull but I felt like I was pretty good on the pulling today.

Tomorrow starts my contract work in Nashville. I will be on the 0 dark hundred flight out of Orlando. Going to be a long week. Should be an interesting 6 weeks.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Just like Gant I picked up some nasty crap from the kids last week and I am paying for it this week. Worst part is I am 2 days in to a day presentation. Can you say no voice! I can't, but I can type it.....

Skipped to workout this morning in favor of 30 minutes in a scalding hot shower to try and get things loosened up. Might have to go to a medi center tonight as I can't take a chance that I am still sick next week when this whole thing goes live.

Derek Simonds
02-06-2009, 08:14 AM
February 6 Friday

What a week. I am now in Newark for another meeting. 3:00 PM 45 minutes north of the airport. Wonder if I will be able to make my return flight tonight. Don't know but this meeting is extremely important for me and the company.

Today is the first day I haven't felt like death warmed over. Now I just feel like crap warmed over so I figured I would get a quick workout in at the hotel.

D W/U

Incline DB Bench 40 X 10, 45 X 10, 50 X 10 X 2
DB Row 40 X 10, 45 X 10, 50 X 10 X 2

Curl (you know) 20 DB's X 12 X 3
Tricep Push Down 100 X 12 X 3

Shrug 50 DB's 12 X 4

And while I was in the gym a client called and agreed to a deal so that worked out ok!

Allen Yeh
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Nice!

R. Alan Hester
02-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Nice! x 2. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

Derek Simonds
02-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Sunday February 8

D W/U

5 Minutes of 16 KG KB RKC Armbars and TGU's

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 205, 225

Bench 45 X 10, 105 X 5, 165 X 5 X 3
BB Row 115 X 8 X 4

And that is a wrap. Fine tuning my presentation for next week and spending time with the kids today. My wife had a problem with the burb last week so she dropped it off for service. I went to pick it up last night and they said yep all fixed up. As soon as I left I knew it wasn't fixed so I turned around and went right back. Short version is I said to the manager you didnt fix squat! He calls the mechanic and I say there is no way you drove it he says yes I did. Manager goes did you check the lug nuts he says twice. Apparently he can't count!

http://i40.tinypic.com/8xpk7b.jpg

Yes siree that would be after I made a left hand turn and the wheel went flying off. Not only did I have to drive the burb to the side of the road without a wheel I couldn't get out the drivers door either as the wheel slammed into the fender and pushed that back into the door effectively sealing it. Did I mention that the tech was with me on the test drive to figure out what was wrong. I think I win the calm guy of the year award for not beating the guy to a bloody pulp on the spot. I was extremely perturbed. Jr found it rather scary.

I really have no idea why I did it but after I got the burb stopped I put the parking brake on. That really was critical?

The shop has agreed to repair everything including the body damage so we will see how this all turns out. What a pain in the arse!

Greg Davis
02-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Derek what do you eat after a PM grappling session?

I find that to be my biggest challenge.. since I have to get up early ~5.30am and on monday nights I like to go to BJJ+wrestling classes, dont get home til 8.30pm at earliest. Then its like I'm drained but don't feel like I have time for a real meal. So I'm thinking a carb+pro shake will go down easiest.. but hate taking in sugar..

Derek Simonds
02-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Same problem and same schedule except I don't get home after gym til probably 9:45. My evening grappling sessions are usually 2:30. When I am done I am done so to speak. My ritual as of now is to stop at a convenience store and pick up a 16 oz chocolate milk. I usually have some fruit in the car along with nuts. If I am really hungry I will grab a zone bar. I have tried eating when I get home several times and I just can't do it after training hard. On days when I train in the evenings I eat at least 4 meals before I go. I don't IF as a standard practice so my meal timing isn't as critical. I will eat my normal breakfast then eat at 10, 1 and 3:30 so that the last meal is 2 plus hours before I go to the gym.

I also have a 45 minute drive home from the gym so the milk in the car routine works good. I also make sure that I am downing a ton of water on the way home. I try to drink at least a liter if not 1.5 liters. Otherwise I am in the whole when I wake up in the morning.

Leo Soubbotine
02-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Sucks to hear about the burb.

Is your guy still good to weld some stuff for us?

Derek Simonds
02-10-2009, 04:58 AM
Yep he is good to go on the welding. We just need to schedule a time when I am in town. Next weekend probably will be our best shot until March. I will call my dad and get it set up if that works for you.

February 10 Tuesday

D W/U (kind of cheesy but at least I was moving)

Rack pulls from bottom of the knee cap. 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 375 X 3, 405, 405, 315 X 5

BB Shrug 135 X 12 X 4

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3
P/U 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

DB Hammer Curl 20 X 12 X 3
Tricep Pressdown 12 X 3

45 Degree Incline S/U 12 X 3
45 Degree B/E 12 X 3

The rack pulls were solid and the only problem I had was I forgot my lifting straps and I couldn't hold the weight. On the 3 rep of 375 as I was lowering the weight it was in contact with my thigh all the way down, as it got above my knee cap some of the muscle bunched up and got pinched between the bar and my knee cap. Holy snikey that hurt. Left a HUGE bruise and knot in the very bottom of my quad.

Everything else was solid. I just don't have a ton of energy. So I will give this a 7/10.

Starting my meetings in Nashville for the next 4 days. Here I go.

One final note I just finished reading Lone Survivor by marcus Luttrel. The story is about the SEAL team that got killed in Afghanistan. Very poignant. I think that it is also the story of namesake of the hero workout Murph. Certainly makes you look at the workout differently when you read what happened in the mountains.

Leo Soubbotine
02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Great book. Made me want to go SEAL. But I can't - you gotta be a citizen and I'm only a wannabe at this point.

I'll see if I can square away the metal by next weekend.

Allen Yeh
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry about the car, at least you are ok.

Derek Simonds
02-12-2009, 04:29 AM
February 12 Thursday

5 Minutes on the treadmill

D W/U

BS 45 X 8, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 205 X 2 X 2

Incline DB Bench 40 X 8, 50 X 8, 55 X 8, 60 X 8
DB Row 40 X 8, 50 X 8, 55 X 8, 60 X 8

Plank 1 minute X 3

Not a ton of stuff today. I am still feeling like crap. At least the green snot is gone. I worked out with one of my coworkers today. I spent most of the time coaching him on DB moves. He has a set of adjustable DB's at his house and I helped him put together 2 routines that he and his sons can do together. Took more time than I had planned to make sure that he was doing the moves correctly. Number 1 exercise why the DJ Goblet Squat of course.

I am getting jerked around now over my burb from the garage that is responsible. Nothing pisses me off more than being hundreds of miles away and having someone not do what they are supposed to.

Derek Simonds
02-14-2009, 09:35 AM
February 14 Saturday

I proposed to my wife on a Mexican beach 10 years ago yesterday. Kind of a life milestone for me. I never really imagined I would be married let alone for almost 10 years now. It has been an absolutely wonderful journey and I look forward to all the years ahead of us. Now off the sappy crap and onto the WOD!

D W/U

RKC Armbar + TGU 16 KG KB 5 minutes non stop

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 195 X 5 X 2, 205 X 5, 225 X 2

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 115 X 3, 4, 4 (I really tried to get that 5th one on both of the last 2 sets)

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 3 (with straps), 325 X 2

Everything felt really solid today. This was the first time I have lifted in 10 days that I didn't feel completely weak. Still wasn't strong but I will take it! It was so nice to be in the garage with the door open and the sun shining in, instead of in a globo gym.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
February 15 Sunday

D W/U

RKC Armbar + TGU 5 minutes non stop

B W/U

Squat Clean 61 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 1,2,3, 145 X 1,2,3, 155 X 1,2,3
L Sit P/U 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3

Bench 45 X 10, 115 X 5, 175 X 5 X 3, 205, 225 w/ a spot so FAIL! dang it.
Pendlay Row 135 X 8 X 3

Clean Pulls (Jump Shrug I try to get my feet off the ground each rep) 185 X 5 X 3

Tabata Sledge Hammer 12 LB'er X 8 rounds amount of strike per side R 13,11,12,11 L,11,10,11,10

Nice finisher, definitely got the heart rate up. My friend Andy missed on his last rep of the last set of cleans and his elbow collided with his knee on the way down while he was holding the weight. All I could think was that is going to be a broken wrist. Luckily it just hurt and doesn't appear to be anything serious.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2009, 07:31 AM
For the next 4 weeks my schedule is going to look like this.

Monday OFF
Tuesday AM Weightlifting PM No-Gi
Wednesday AM Weightlifting PM No-Gi
Thursday OFF
Friday OFF
Saturday AM Weightlifting and if time allows GI
Sunday AM Olympic Weightlifting

I like the schedule and will see how it treats me. I am giving it my all during the week for these training sessions I am conducting so I am pretty exhausted when evening rolls around. This schedule should allow time for good recovery.

Steven Low
02-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Getting old, eh? Having problems with recovery. :p

Nah, that's a pretty intense schedule.. if you can handle that it's pretty good.

How's your son doing with gymnastics (or is he not doing it)? It's competition season if I remembered correctly..

Derek Weaver
02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Things are looking good. Those clean pulls getting off the ground are solid work.

Looks like you've got a pretty demanding schedule there. I like schedules like 2/2/2/1 work:rest.

How's the burb?

Derek Simonds
02-17-2009, 05:43 AM
Getting old, eh? Having problems with recovery. :p

Nah, that's a pretty intense schedule.. if you can handle that it's pretty good.

How's your son doing with gymnastics (or is he not doing it)? It's competition season if I remembered correctly..

Well old is a state of mind, right? The training I was referring to wasn't my lifting and BJJ it is the work I am doing in Nashville. I am leading an executive training class for 40 participants. The training is very dynamic as it focused on the needs of the participants so it is different every time I teach it. Some of the material is static but the vast majority changes based on questions posed by the group. It runs from 7:30 in the morning to 5:00 at night and I am absolutely smoked when I am done. On Tuesday I start at 1:00 so at least I have a little break today.

Jr has had two meets this year and I have really slacked on getting the video up. He is competing as a level 5 and they are on the new 16 point scoring. Wow is it different all the way around. The first meet was a judges cup and he went into it with 3 skills that he had never landed in practice. He pulled all of them off at the meet. The last meet he was slightly sick and really struggled in his first 3 events. He did finish strong and placed 4th overall.

That meet was actually a good learning experience. He was pretty bummed and came over and told me "dad I really did bad on my pbars and vault" I told him that he needed to be like Paul Hamm and not give up. That his team needed him even if he wasn't going to medal in the first two events they still needed his scores on the next 4. He went back out and really gave it his all. Made me proud.

I will get some video up this week.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Things are looking good. Those clean pulls getting off the ground are solid work.

Looks like you've got a pretty demanding schedule there. I like schedules like 2/2/2/1 work:rest.

How's the burb?

The burb is still down. I politely told the folks at the local garage that if there was a problem I have no issue with personally contacting their CEO. Not sure exactly why but all of sudden there was a flurry of activity.

I will no later today if I am good to go. But it should be done by the end of the week. My fingers are crossed.

Leo told me that because I DL so much is why my pulls are good. Might be something to that.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2009, 05:52 AM
February 17 Tuesday

5 Minutes on the treadmill

D W/U

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 145 X 10, 155 X 10 (yep you read that right I did 10's)
Chin Ups 5 X 5

Incline Bench 40 X8, 60 X 8 X 3
Wide Grip T-Bar Row 90 X 8 X 3

BB Crush 50 X20 X 2, 45 X 20 (the knurling on the 40 was way too aggressive for me so switched to a regular BB)

45 minutes in and an out. Back at the hotel and getting ready to do some work before heading to my meetings.

It is kind off chilly here in Nashvegas and I really wonder how you Northerners do it all winter long. It was 30 and I had on shorts when I left the hotel. BRRRR.....

Derek Simonds
02-18-2009, 05:02 AM
February 18 Wednesday

5 Minutes on treadmill

D W/U

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 365 X 2, 415 X 1, 435 X F, 415 X 1, 365 X 2, 315 X 5

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 10, 85 X 5, 110 X 5 X 3 (I am so close to a PR here)
P/U 5 X 5

1a) 20 LB DB Curls 12 X 3
1b) 25 LB Russian Twist

2a) Tricep Pressdown 10 X 3
2b) B/E 10, 10, 5 (this was the most uncomfortable B/E bench I have ever used so I quit)

I forgot my freaking lifting straps again. I could do more I just can't hold it. The 435 was moving it just pulled my fingers apart. I will remember next week.

Didn't get to grapple last night. I was absolutely bombarded with reporting questions and didn't leave until well after 8:00. That is a long day. Tonight I am bailing right at 5 so I can get to grappling.

Derek Weaver
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
The burb is still down. I politely told the folks at the local garage that if there was a problem I have no issue with personally contacting their CEO. Not sure exactly why but all of sudden there was a flurry of activity.

I will no later today if I am good to go. But it should be done by the end of the week. My fingers are crossed.

Leo told me that because I DL so much is why my pulls are good. Might be something to that.

Who knew that deadlifts are good for so much else? I'll take a deadlift over a Zercher anyday... there I said it. Not a Zercher fan. Feels good to get it off my chest.

Good luck with the Burb, I'm guessing you'll have a very nice and easy ride when you get it back.

Derek Simonds
02-19-2009, 04:57 AM
February 18 Wednesday

No-Gi at Nashville MMA. I had a really good experience with the group there. The instructor Shawn Hammonds made me feel at home and there was a great mix of experience on the mat. I trained with a blue belt that was one of their MMA fighters. Shawn covered some great drills and then we worked on an escape from a high mount. Then we grappled for 5 rounds. I was competitive with all their members.

I was able to get several submissions with blue belts. After I beat a couple of blue belts this guy who looked like an ox came over and wanted to roll. I rolled with him and he submitted me with a variant of an arm triangle but I was able to stay with him the whole time and he only got me with that right before the bell. Turns out he is one of their black belts. I felt really good about my overall showing. My mat cardio sucked though. Holy smoked batman. I will train with them again next week.

Leo Soubbotine
02-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Hey man, will you be able to come to our Last WoD and Moving Party on Mar 7th?

Derek Simonds
02-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I just read all about the moving party. Jr said we have to be there so we will. Biggest challenge will be his gymnastics that day but we will definitely be there.

Derek Simonds
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
February 21 Saturday

D W/U

6 Minutes RKC Armbar + TGU (this is getting really solid with the 16 KG bell)

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 195 X 5 X 3, 215 X 5, 235 X 2, 255 X 1

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 215 X 1
P/U 5, 5, 5, 5 (really working on getting my kip down whenever I am at home)

Met-Con

5 Minutes of Cindy
5 P/U's
10 Pushups
15 Squats

Oh yeah I got 5 rounds. First time ever that I have been pacing a round a minute. I was breathing hard but I was making it. I didn't break anything up except the last set of P/U's. I think I could get 10 rounds in 10 minutes. We will see soon.

Derek Weaver
02-21-2009, 08:26 PM
That's nice KB work there. Strength numbers are looking good and progressing well.

Derek Simonds
02-22-2009, 07:11 AM
That's nice KB work there. Strength numbers are looking good and progressing well.

Thanks, it seems like it has been a long time that I have been focusing on strength but it hasn't been that long. Linear progression is definitely my friend.

February 22 Sunday

EC Foam Rolling

6 Minutes RKC Armbar + TGU 16 KG KB

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

I had to stop and restart the hammer stuff, I restarted from the beginning. Lucy the lab decided to go running out the door when my neighbor got here to workout. Nice added warm up.

B W/U

Clean 61 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 3, 155 X 3, 165 X 2, 175 X 1 (most I have squat cleaned in a long time, it felt really good)

Push Jerk 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 3 X 5

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 300 X 5, 310 X 5

Out of time. I planned on doing Leo's workout from the other day as my met-con. Maybe later today. I really like the look of it. DL's felt really solid even after all the clean's. I am very sore today from yesterdays beat down. Should be interesting to see how I recover.

Derek Simonds
02-24-2009, 05:49 AM
Tuesday February 24

Back in Nash Vegas. Freaking cold by the way. 27 degrees on the way to the gym.

5 minutes on the treadmill

D W/U

1a) BS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 1, 200 X 5 X 5 (felt great only bobbled 1 times)
1B) P/U 4 X 5

2a) Incline BB Bench 45 X8, 95 X 8, 135 X 8 X 3
2b) DB Row 50 X 8, 65 X 8, 70 X 8, 80 X 8

40 Meter Sprints X 7 with walk back as recovery.

So I was getting set to start my squats and there were two guys having a discussion next to the smith machine. I could hear what they were talking about but was focused on getting set up. They were talking about what God considers success and what the world considers success. Well I cleaned the bar and walked forward to rack it and as I did I let go of the bar and realized that there was only one hook in place. So the bar starts falling and I go with it trying not to fall out of the rack. I recovered and realized that the other hook was at the top of the rack not in the same place as the right one. I started laughing out loud at how stupid I was. Well the guys beside me thought I was laughing at their conversation. I explained what happened and we all had a good laugh together.

Interestingly enough one of the guys had to have been at least 285 lb's of muscle. Eek. Luckily I felt comfortable agreeing with his side of the conversation. :D

Derek Simonds
02-25-2009, 04:57 AM
February 25 Wednesday

5 minutes treadmill

2 X 3 LB DB's

20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 405 X 3, 455 X 1, 1, 405 X 3

1a) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 5, 110 X 5
1b) Low Cable Row 100 X 10 X 4

2a) BB Crush 45 X 20, 20, 50 X 20
2b) Tricep Pressdown 10 X 3

3a) DB Hammer Curl 25 X 10 X 3
3b) Roman Chair Leg Lifts 10 X 3

Rack pulls take a long time. I wanted to get in a little met-con but was just totally out of time. However that 455 is the most I have ever held in my hands. Pretty cool feeling. Once I got it moving it was tough but no problem. Well maybe that is an understatement. :D I hope to rack pull 500 within the next 30 days. Good workout and off to work I go.

Derek Weaver
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
February 25 Wednesday

5 minutes treadmill

2 X 3 LB DB's

20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 405 X 3, 455 X 1, 1, 405 X 3

1a) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 5, 110 X 5
1b) Low Cable Row 100 X 10 X 4

2a) BB Crush 45 X 20, 20, 50 X 20
2b) Tricep Pressdown 10 X 3

3a) DB Hammer Curl 25 X 10 X 3
3b) Roman Chair Leg Lifts 10 X 3

Rack pulls take a long time. I wanted to get in a little met-con but was just totally out of time. However that 455 is the most I have ever held in my hands. Pretty cool feeling. Once I got it moving it was tough but no problem. Well maybe that is an understatement. :D I hope to rack pull 500 within the next 30 days. Good workout and off to work I go.

NIIIIIIIICE.