D W/U
DC Circuit 3
DeFranco Agile 8

DL 45 X 10,95 X 5, 145 X 5, 185 X 5, 220 X 5

Bench 45 X 10, 95 x 5, 115 x 5, 140 x 5

Drag Curlz 45 X 10 X 3

Shrug 45 LB's DB's X 12 X 2
Row 45 Lb's DB's X 12 X 2

Right at an hour with helping my wife coach her group on some form issues this morning. Nice recovery workout. Tomorrow I am going to run some distance, maybe even a mile at a time....

Derek Simonds
09-19-2009, 05:22 AM
September 19 Saturday

D W/U
DeFranco Agile 4 (I was in the middle of the road and didn't feel like rolling around)

So I go into my closet dust off my new running shoes from three years ago (which I might have run in two maybe three times) and slide them on. I did through my Triathlon training bag for my Timex G-Force with Flix Technology strap that on and head outside. I walk a little ways, do the DeFranco stuff and instinctively click the mode button on my watch to change to timer. That's when I looked down and realized that the batteries were dead. Apparently it has been a while since I ran any distance...

Run .8 Miles
Walk .2 Miles
Run .8 Miles
Walk .2 Miles

Sprint at 80 - 90 percent 6 X 60 Meters

Holee Crap everything felt good bio-mechanically up until the end of the second .8. That was when my patella tendon started getting warm and uncomfortable. My plan was to run as many .8's as I felt no pain. This was a good indication that 2 shall be the number for today. No problems with endurance or muscle fatigue at all. Very surprised about that. If today was race day I would have ran right through that discomfort no worries. Since it isn't I exercised a little discretion and will ice for 15-20 minutes right now.

Sprints were no brainers and 6 X 60 had just the right amount of alliteration for me to feel good about them. I focused on driving off the ground with my Glutes like the Mr. Glute was saying in the Glute article on T-Nation. Very interesting sensation. I understand now what sprinters mean when they know they were running wrong when they feel it in their quads. Focusing on that drive my stride was shorter and I was landing with my front foot just slightly ahead of my hips. Completely different feel from when I have ran sprints in the past.

Diesel Crew Circuit 4 is going to get modified to include Coach Nick's LYTP. I did that after the run this morning and really enjoyed it. The coaching cues from the video are priceless. Here is how the Re-Hab went

LYTP on a med ball really squeezing with my knees

L 3lb db's X 10 X 2
Y's no weight 5 X 5 second hold at the top (Really need to buy some 1's and 2's)
T's 3 lb db's X 12 X 2
P's no weight X 12 X 2
15 lb db incline scapular retraction X 12 X 2

First thoughts the knees change everything. I can attest to the fact that your body will try and get into extension if you don't squeeze the knees and you really have to fight that tendency to compensate. The Y's with the holds are excellent. I can really feel the lower trap engaging and with 1 lb db's these will be killer. On the T's by pulling the scaps together first before lifting really activates the rhomboids. You can actually feel them tightening as you do the movement. The P's I have never done before but they just feel right.

Really great link Allen. Thanks for posting it.

Derek Simonds
09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
September 19 Saturday

BJJ Worked guard sweeps from when your opponent pops to standing. A couple of cool variations where you sweep and attack. The thing I liked about them was that we could transition right into a top side attack of armbar or triangle.

And oh by the way Frank Shamrock came and trained at the academy today.

Derek Simonds
09-21-2009, 04:04 AM
September 21 Monday

D W/U
DC Circuit 5 + Band Pull Aparts

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 185 X 5, 210 X 5, 240 X 6 (PR)

SGBDL 95 X 12, 135 X 12 X 3

Grip

CoC S X 5
CoC T X 5
CoC #1 X 3 X 3

Done and done. Logging my workout, cooking breakfast for the kids and off to work I go. On the BS I moved the bar a little lower on my back and went barefoot. Everything lined up much better. I have to get my DoWins fixed at a shoe repair place. The sole came completely off. I miss my shoes.

Derek Simonds
09-22-2009, 04:07 AM
September 22 Tuesday

D W/U
DC Circuit 1
RKC Armbars

Press 11 X 5, 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 75 X 5, 85 X 16 (really tired doing these for some reason)
P/U 4 X 8

DB Curl + Press W/Fat Gripz 30 LB DB's X 8 X 3

25 LB Plate Truck Drivers X 20 X 2
25 LB Plate Full Front Raises X 8 X 2

Hammer Time X 26 Reps all movements (man are my forearms and hands on fire)

TGU S/U's X 16 KG KB 5, 6, 7 (remember the forearms and hands yep they are still on fire)

For some reason my shoulders started out today fatigued. I am not sure exactly why maybe all the pre-hab stuff. Good workout all around except my partner no-showed no-called. Bad Andy!

Running tonight with my wife. She thinks we are running 3 miles. I am going to do the same thing from Saturday, run until I start to feel any discomfort then stop. It will at least be some quality time with her.

Derek Simonds
09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
September 21 Tuesday PM

MMA 30 Minutes Managed to take a shot to the head and one to the arm. Nice.

No-Gi Played with 50-50 guard tonight. That is a zero sum guard. I would be so pissed if someone used that on me and stalled until the end for a sweep. I could defeat it in most of the guys in class by moving my leg off their belly then extending my leg. Also did the roll into a calf crusher sweep to take the back. I actually like faking the sweep and when they jerk their leg away grab opposite ankle and take the back. This was working really well. I will have to play with this some in live sparring.

Finished with 2 rounds of grappling. One match fought from behind for quite a while and then as my opponent tried to stack pass I caught him in a wicked super tight triangle. Yeah me. I love me some triangle. Also got a arm triangle off a pass to mount that just came together. My leg is burned so bad I had it double wrapped with med tape and it was pulling off so I called it a night.

Good training tonight, I wish that my leg wasn't so burned. I have a tourney I want to defend my gold medal from last year in November so it is time to get freaky boyz!

Derek Simonds
09-23-2009, 03:57 AM
September 22 Wednesday

D W/U
DC Circuit #2 + 45 Degree Band work and Internal Rotation

YRG 40 Minute Fat Burner with Tracy and her crew. Now that Tracy is getting up at 5:30 every morning it is hard not to get up with her when I have a chance to sleep in. Today is a rest day in the 5/3/1 schedule and I don't think anything in the YRG will impact my lifting on Friday so why not hang with my wife.

Allen Yeh
09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
How is the no alcohol diet going?

Derek Simonds
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
How is the no alcohol diet going?

There are certainly some days where I wonder what in the hell I am doing. But overall it is going just fine. Tracy has had a noticeable improvement in her IBS, she actually is a regular kind of girl right now. She is very pleased.

I have been cramming down the food this week trying to make sure to stay in a positive calorie balance with all my exercise this week. It feels like I am eating all the time. Basically like the mass gain diet except just fruit, vegetables and meat.

Derek Simonds
09-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Wednesday September 23

Judo 1 hour pre BJJ focused on 2 moves I can't remember the name of the first but it is Knee Wheel in English. This we worked as a set up for Osoto Gari (I think). I learned so much in that hour that my brain is actually kind of mush. I am working with a BB in Judo that trains at our academy. He is helping me with Judo so he can practice also and I am helping him with his ground work. He also showed me how to practice at home using a inner tube or band. I will be trying that out tomorrow during warmups.

Grappling 30 minutes non stop of opponent after opponent just playing around with all kinds of crazy arsed moves and spins.

BJJ 1 hour focused on single leg takedown, sprawl, turtle, taking the back and several variants of each of those. Great class and I have ended up on top of turtle several times as of late so this was a needed refresher.

Derek Simonds
09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
September 24 Thursday

Got to the academy 30 minutes early, no traffic at that time of day apparently. Ran 4 times around the block at a very quick pace. No idea how fast but definitely faster than race pace.

Private with Fabio and Mark. Fantatstic, technical class all focused around what happens if someone tries to pass your guard by planting their foot in between your legs. This is a standard position that people achieve before they start to move and we worked some seriously cool sweeps and attacks off of it. My favorite was to swing both legs to the same side on their back and to drive the head toward the mat, when they try to posture up you let them and slap a triangle on as they look up. I could pull it off pretty regularly in live grappling at the end. Definitely going in my tool box.

Derek Simonds
09-25-2009, 04:22 AM
September 25 Friday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DC Circuit 3

PC 45 X 5 X 3

DL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 205 X 3, 240 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 7 (It is a weight and rep PR but man I wanted more just really kind of tired this morning)

Dan John Challenge #2 10....1 KB Swings +Goblet Squat 16 KG KB 3:31

Planks 30F,15R,15L + cobra + child X 3 times

TGU 16 KG X 3, side press X 3 X 2, Bottoms Up Press X 3 all right and left

The DJ Challenge was hard with a 16 KG'er it would have been murder with a 24! Next time through I will give it a go with the 24. Thanks for leading the way on that one Allen. The 315 DL was coming off the floor nice just ran out of mental gas I think. Planks were too easy but I was leading the workout for my wifes group so I did times everyone could hit.

Off to the races.

Derek Weaver
09-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice DL PR!

Derek Simonds
09-26-2009, 05:15 AM
September 26 Saturday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
RKC Armbars

Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 150 X 5, 170 X 5, 195 X 4 (failed on the 5th rep)
DB Rows 50 X 12, 65 X 12, 12, 12, 20

DB Incline Bench 45 X12, 50 X 12, 10, 10
Chin Ups 8,6,6,4

DB OHS/U's +25 LB'ers 12, 15, 15

Supremely perturbed I failed on the 5th rep. The first 4 were solid not super but solid and I just got pancaked on the 5th rep. Not sure why. I am going to finish this cycle and reset my numbers. One thing I am beginning to believe is that you have to start 5/3/1 at weights that you can achieve high reps (at least 10+) on your last set to make progress for a longer period of time. The heavier weights for low reps doesn't seem to bother me nearly as much as medium weights for higher reps. I told myself no ego when I started and I have already reset on the press so the same happens here.

Derek Simonds
09-26-2009, 10:49 AM
September 26 Saturday BJJ

Warmed up with lots of shoots, drags and 1 leg hops. Kind of fun variant today. One of the MMA coaches was like Derek whats up with your shoot? I was taking it easy as I was already pretty tired. He got a chuckle out of it.

Played from that knee up position and worked threading your outside leg under into partners crotch and then 3 variants off of that. Worked with another blue belt who was a lot smaller than me so it was kind of hard not to crush him.

Good class and I am going to work on these variants again.

Derek Simonds
09-28-2009, 04:14 AM
September 28 Monday

Just a recap of an extraordinarily challenging week

1) Burb starter went out at the lake last week
2) A/C went out upstairs and needs a new coil. Any guesses on how much that is?
3) I had a drainage problem at the lake and was quoted tops $200 to fix it, well they only missed it by double.
4) Yesterday at a cookout Laney fell off a swing and broke her ulna right below her elbow. It was a horrible break, good news out of it is she broke it away from her growth plates and as of last night at ER she didn't need surgery. We are going in at 8:15 to see the ortho. You know the break is bad when a 7 year old can read her own X-Ray and can point out to the doctor where the break is!
5) Unfortunately work was just as bad as the rest of the week.

So let's get Monday started right! All positive thoughts, no negativity and above all please no more unexpected problems or expenses!

Sunday DC Circuit 4 + Band work + W, Y, T, P's

Monday

D W/U
DC Circuit 5
EC Foam Rolling

BS up to 255 X 5

SGBDL 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 10, 155 X 10
CoC S X 10, T X 10, 1 X 3 X 4 (got them all right and left)

My workout partner threw down 225 X 12 on the BS, major PR for him!

Taking my grandmother to the airport hauling butt back home and going with Laney to the Ortho.

Derek Simonds
09-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Just got bad news. I spoke to our ortho who is a friend of the family and he said that we have to get to the children's hospital right away for surgery!

I am freaking out.

Kevin Perry
09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
That sucks man, I hope everything works out and hopefully not bad news for your daughter.

Derek Simonds
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
That sucks man, I hope everything works out and hopefully not bad news for your daughter.

Surgery tomorrow morning. Up at 4:30, out the door by 5, at the hospital at 6, register and she is first up at 7:30. They are going to try and get everything in place without having to doing any cutting. I hope that it goes that way. They tried to manipulate the radial today and she was just in too much pain and it was too tight. I will update tomorrow afternoon.

Allen Yeh
09-29-2009, 03:48 AM
Damn.

Best of wishes to your daughter.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
My wife just dropped me off at my office after we left the hospital. Everything came out awesome. Laney's doctor was able to get everything repositioned and the dislocation back in place while she was under. I am so proud of Laney as she was a trooper the entire time. She told me that the only time that she cried was when she actually went into the OR. However it wasn't too traumatic as she can't remember a single thing about the room or what happened in there.

Laney has to go back for a recheck on Monday to make sure nothing is out of alignment.

I am an absolute bundle of exhaustion and shot nerves. But all is well!

Gant Grimes
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Man, I just got caught up on this. Glad Laney is doing better. It's difficult to see your children in the hospital.

Derek Weaver
09-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Good to hear all is well. Your daughter sounds like a real trooper.

Here's to a speedy recovery

Steven Low
09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Phew. Turned out ok in the end.

Supplement that vitamin D for bone healing. :)

Derek Simonds
09-30-2009, 04:03 AM
I have to give credit to Dr. Phillips and the staff at Arnold Palmer Childrens Hospital. They were all awesome. Steven we have already started discussing that.

September 30 Wednesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 70 X 3, 80 X 3, 90 X 14
P/U's 3 X 10

Fat Gripz DB Curl + Press 30 X 10, 9, 9

Full Front Raises 11 LB BB X 12, 21 LB BB X 12 X 2
Truck Drivers 10 LB O' Plate X 20 X 3

I still feel like absolute ass. Not sure why. Probably just my bodies reaction to all the stress and lack of sleep. My stomach is killing me. It hasn't hurt like this ever except when I got food poisoning in 2004 and ended up in the hospital. At first I thought it was just nerves with Laney and the hospital but it hasn't got any better. I went to bed last night at 7:30 and slept until 5:00 this morning.

Derek Weaver
09-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Good to see everything's going well. I'd say it's okay to feel like ass for a while. The nervous system can take a serious beating in a time like that.

Nothing a little extra sleep, day or two off and a glass, or 12 of whiskey won't cure.

Allen Yeh
10-01-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm glad that she'll be good to go. Now you have to take care of the caretaker!

Derek Simonds
10-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Short version of the last couple of days. Delaney is back at school and hasn't had any pain since Tuesday evening. So that is great. My stomach kept bothering me to the point that I was worried if I would be able to get on an airplane for 8 hours worth of traveling on Thursday. Ended up going into my doc and he thought I might have appendicitis so I got a CT scan Wednesday afternoon. That is kind of a weird thing. Everything came out normal. Doctor said clear liquid diet for 24 hours so basically I fasted with water. Stomach still hurts but is not intolerable. I traveled all day yesterday but had some good success with getting a nice contract signed in CT then flew to DFW. Worked out this morning have a meeting at 11:00 and then off to the airport to get home.

October 2 Friday

D W/U

HPC 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 3, 105 X 3 X 2

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 225 X 1, 260 X 3, 295 X 3, 330 X 4 (I hate hexagonal plates)

Incline S/U's 12 X 3
Russian Twists 25 LB Plate X 24 X 3

You just can't get a good setup on hexagonal plates. Every lift they move in some funky way so reps suck. I had more in me just didn't want to fight the plates so called it at 4.

Allen Yeh
10-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Hex plates are terrible for deadlifts. Trying to find round plates now is nearly impossible it seems like!

Derek Simonds
10-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Hex plates are terrible for deadlifts. Trying to find round plates now is nearly impossible it seems like!

No doubt! It seems like all Globo Gyms are using them now.

October 3 Saturday

D W/U
RKC Armbars 10 seconds each arm X 3
DC Circuit 1 + Low pulls X 30 X 2, Band Pull Aparts X 30 X 2

Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 165 X 3, 180 X 3, 205 X 2
DB Rows 50 X 12, 65 X 12 X 3, 65 X 23

DB Incline Bench 45 X 12, 50 X 10 X 3
Chin Ups 8, 6, 4

Pretty much just exhausted after this week and everything that has happened. Jr spotted me on the bench in the power cage. I just had nothing left on the 3rd rep. Jr did DB Incline with me this morning. He used the 8, 10 and 15 LB'ers and really enjoyed it. We kept the reps low and just did the movements. Their PE class at school is going to the YMCA for swimming this quarter. Next quarter they are getting instruction on using the machines. Interesting.

Allen Yeh
10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
How is your daughters arm?

Derek Simonds
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
She is doing just fine. She had a recheck yesterday with an x-ray and all is healing good.

I have struggled with my stomach for the last couple of days and tonight is the first time that it has been halfway normal. Yeah me. Tracy is absolutely certain that I have a gallbladder problem. I am going to the doctor on Friday when I get home from Canada.

Elliptical 25 minutes

DB Curl and Press 30 X 10 X 3

Just wanted to do something. I am praying that things smooth out and I can squat tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Tired of feeling like crap, tired of not sleeping and above all tired of not working out. So... I ate oatmeal, fruit, an egg white and half a waffle for breakfast and haven't died yet. Ate some chicken and rice for lunch, still standing and decided dammit I am going to the gym!

October 7 Wednesday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 2, 210 X 5, 240 X 3, 270 X 1 (Just glad to make it)

Press 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 75 X 5, 85 X 3, 95 X 7
Neutral Grip P/U's 8, 8, 8, 6, 6

Tricep Pressdown 12 X 3
Bicep Curls 12 X 3

Nothing fantastic but considering how little I have ate this week I am pleased. My belly still feels decidedly odd and I am getting ready to go have dinner. Hopefully a little meat and vegetables.

Wrapping up tomorrow and then back home to the states. I can't wait to see the kids.

Laney said her arm feels great. She is going to go back to gym in a week just to do the conditioning, obviously nothing that would have her use her arm at all. She is begging to go now. Makes me happy that she feels as good as she does.

Derek Weaver
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Good to hear your daughter's doing well.

Still getting your gut checked out tomorrow?

Craig Brown
10-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Derek- just found this- glad your daughter is healing up! Take care of yourself.

Craig

Derek Simonds
10-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Got home from Canada late last night. Early revelry workout and hauled butt to my moms house where the kids were to see them and take them to school.

D W/U

HPC 45 X 5 X 2 PC 95 X 3 X 2, 115 X 3 X 2, 135 X 2

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 225 X 2, 255 X 1, 275 X 5, 315 X 3, 350 X 3

Done and done. I will take the 350 X 3. I wanted X 5 but all things considered that was a hell of a win for me this morning.

Arm update. Laney told me this morning that most of the time it doesn't hurt at all. That is good. She is really excited as her class has a walking field trip to the public library and she is taking her library card.

I am still going to the doctor at 9:15 and will update later. High school homecoming is tonight and I am going to take the kids to the football game.

Derek Simonds
10-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Doctor Update:

A couple of things we know. I don't have anything "acute abdomen", my ct scan showed no blockages in the gallbladder, stones or problems with liver or pancreas and my urine test was negative for anything related to kidneys. The only thing my ct scan showed was that my lymph nodes were swollen. Doctor isn't sure why that is but doesn't think it is necessarily related. They took 5 vials of blood to do a bunch of tests to further eliminate liver and pancreas. The blood tests should be back by Monday and I have a referral to a GI on Tuesday morning.

My doctors best guess is that with Tracy and I eating a really high fiber diet, all the stress that got heaped on me that weekend that it is more than likely stress caused IBS. He gave me a script for Levsin, which I haven't researched yet to help with the overall symptons.

So big picture I just think I am jacked up and my body is struggling. The only thing that I really can eat that doesn't bother me is real bland stuff like oatmeal, soup and crap like that. I will take it really easy this weekend and see how things go next week. I am not overly concerned I just want to get rid of the pain.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
10 October Saturday

D W/U
RKC Armbars X 2 each side 10 second holds

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X5, 135 X 3, 150 X 1, 170 X 5, 195 X 3, 215 X FAIL
DB Row 45 X 12, 50 X 12, 65 X 12 X 4

Tate Press X 30 LB DB's X 12 X 3
Hammer DB Curls Run Rack 40 to 10 X 2 each first set 45 X 1, 40 X 3, 35 X 6 to 10 X 6 X 2 Arms are absolutely smoked after that.
Dips X 10 X 3

The fail on the bench was stupid and I am just flat out of energy after this last week. I am resetting my bench numbers down to 190 for the next cycle. And oh by the way it was 94 degrees outside while we were training. Finished with 4 rounds of loaded pizza for time.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2009, 03:53 AM
October 12 Monday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Static Stretching

Jog .8 miles

4 X 50 M Sprints

Only got up because my wife's work out group was here and she is still out of town.

Derek Simonds
10-14-2009, 04:03 AM
Tuesday October 13

Band work for shoulder Prehab

Some very light bar combo work

Wednesday October 14

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DC Circuit 1

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5, 135 X5, 170 X 5

PS 45 X 3, 65 X 3 X 4
Press 11 X 5, 45 X 5, 50 X 5, 60 X 5

DB Curl and Press + Fat Gripz 30 X 5 X 3
P/U 3 X 3

Nice and easy. Had a great consult with Garrett on Sunday. Two parts of the recommendation were 32 oz's of kefir in a day and GT's green kombucha. The kefir was plain and it wasn't bad at all. Kind of like unflavored yogurt. The GT's green kombucha was freaking nasty. I downed it all but holee crapola it left me with a wicked after taste!

Allen Yeh
10-14-2009, 04:36 AM
That's why you're supposed to chase the kombucha with a shot of Jack!

Derek Simonds
10-15-2009, 03:56 AM
That's why you're supposed to chase the kombucha with a shot of Jack!

I did not know that! (said in my best movie voice) that would have made all the difference in the world.

October 15 Wednesday

Officially Biketoberfest starts tomorrow but I have a feeling there is going to be plenty of people enjoying it tonight. Not me I am just flat out exhausted. Wait a minute today is Thursday, man I am losing it, Biketoberfest starts tonight. EEK. I only note it as we have clients coming into town and I will be brutally honest with them and catch crap for not riding over the weekend.

I am too tired just doesn't cut it with people who have flown in to whoop it up.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DC Circuit 2 + band internal rotations

Derek Simonds
10-16-2009, 04:06 AM
October 16 Friday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
RKC Armbars + TGU S/U's
DC Circuit 3

Bench 45 X 5, 70 X 5, 90 X 5, 115 X 5, 130 X 5
C/U 3 X 5 chest to bar

Hammer Time 24 swings to start and finish 10 of all the other movements

12 LB Sledge swings 10 each direction X 3
40 LB DB Hammer Curls 3 X 3

I have been doing research on PF and Shin Splints. My training partner has flat feet and PF pretty bad so we are going to add in the foot mobility drills and the DC Shin Splint protocol to our W/U's. I think that it will end up with 2 lower body W/U's and 2 upper body W/U's so that we don't run over on time.

I was supposed to train BJJ this morning with Mark and Fabio but Fabio ended up at the hospital last night and I don't know what happened to him. So I worked out with the girls. Tomorrow is the big 5K for Jr and me. I am really looking forward to that. Laney is going to run walk with my mom. Should be a lot of fun.

I am really looking forward to starting the mild adrenal recovery protocol that Dr. G has prescribed for me to see if it helps get me back closer to normal. Not that is really a normal for me :D

I am going to go to beginners BJJ at lunch just to spend a little time on the mat.

Derek Simonds
10-18-2009, 01:55 PM
October 17 Saturday

Day of the race. Got up and did some serious foam rolling. It was chilly today. Great racing weather.

3 generations of Simonds all ran today. My mom and Laney went together. Laney at the last minute. She decided to do the race with mom. It was funny she probably is the only person to ever run a 5K in dress pants and crocs.

At the start Jr took off like a shot. I don't think I have ever ran that fast in a race. I am guessing somewhere around 3:30 for the first half mile. Just screaming fast. I told him you might want to slow down just a little.

Everything was going great up to mile 2 for me. Nice and easy. Tiring but no pain. At mile 2 my right side ITB started burning like never before. At the same time this young girl comes up and passes us. Jr. Kicks it in and tucks right in behind her. I tried to keep up but my ITB was screaming at me. So I stop and stretch it and take off running again. I was able to keep Jr mostly in my sight :D. He ended up with a blistering 25:06 for an 8:06 mile pace. He took 2nd in his age group by only 22 seconds.

I ended up with a 26:11 still happy with that not having ran at all in the last 2 years other than a couple of short runs lately.

Jr and my mom took second in their age divisions and my sister took first in her age group for a 10K. Great day for all of us. The kids and I headed up to Destination Daytona to walk around and look at all the stuff for Biketoberfest. Had a good time. When we got home a bunch of friends came over and we all hung out and watched football.

Shortly after dinner I said man my ankle is hurting and looked down and the outside of it was swollen up as big as a golf ball. EEK! Full range of motion just super swollen. I iced it all night long and this morning most of the swelling was gone now it is just bruised looking. My ITB is still giving me fits and depending on how I sit or stand my entire right side will spasm. Guess I shouldn't have just pushed through.

I wouldn't have missed yesterday for the world! It was so awesome being there for Jr and Laney and for them to see their Aunt and Grandmother both medal.

Derek Weaver
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a good day except for the swelling and all. Your family rocks by the way.

Allen Yeh
10-19-2009, 02:52 AM
That's a great time by Jr! Your time? eh.......:D

Derek Simonds
10-19-2009, 04:06 AM
That's a great time by Jr! Your time? eh.......:D

Uh Huh Allen I know...

Derek Thanks for the compliment. I am really proud of my family. Jr's school does off campus PE at the local YMCA. My mom was there the other day working out when the kids were there and she was watching Jr do S/U's and walked over in front of all the other kids and told him that they looked too easy so she had him do them holding 5 LB DB's. My mom laughed so hard, she told the kids that she uses the 10 LB'ers and they were all like WHOA.

October 19 Monday

D W/U

Press 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 70 X 5, 80 X 5, 90 X 16 (Now that was a PR!)
P/U's 5 X 5

35 LB DB Curl and Press 8 X 3

Planks 3 X 1 minute

The press felt really good. On the last rep I was super squirrely. Planks were actually hard this morning.

Derek Weaver
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Nice press PR!

Derek Simonds
10-20-2009, 03:59 AM
October 20 Tuesday

Must be a PR week

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 175 X 1, 190 X 5, 215 X 5, 245 X 7 (PR)

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 365 X 3

16 KG KB Snatch 60 reps no stopping

I had 1 more squat in me! The last rep was really squirrely but I never felt like I was losing it just one of those kind of corkscrew lifts. I called it rather than risk anything. Still very happy with 7 reps!

KB Snatch I am going to work up to a large number in a row of 16 than switch to the 24. Maybe do a little of both not sure yet. Snatches are definitely going to be a consistent part of the program.

Derek Simonds
10-21-2009, 03:51 AM
October 21 Wednesday

D W/U
Tons of foam rolling
DC Circuit 5
Band Work
Full Front Raises 25 LB X 6 X 2
Stretching

Fasting since last evening and off to my EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) what a funny word. I like the abbreviation much better.

Gant Grimes
10-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Wow, 16 reps in the press? Are those the kind of numbers we need to hit on 5's week? Or did you intentionally reset low so you could build longer?

Derek Simonds
10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Wow, 16 reps in the press? Are those the kind of numbers we need to hit on 5's week? Or did you intentionally reset low so you could build longer?

The 16 reps was slightly unexpected. Having been through 6 months and worked with a couple of guys who are also 3 to 6 months in, the people that are making the most progress seem to be the ones that were able to get huge rep pr's in the beginning. I kind of think of it like your hypertrophy approach to shoulders we have talked about before or even a self limiting hypertrophy to strength macrocycle if that makes any sense.

By taking a 5lb jump in the press I should be able to progress for a long time 10 months minimum without topping out. My ultimate goal is a BW press. I am probably a solid 50 LB's away from that right now.

I have looked at Wendlers log on elite and he does just like he says in his book. Some days he goes in and does just the 5 reps (or whatever is required) and gets out and some days he goes in and throws down a huge rep number.

Mainly I reset back 20 percent because I just went through 6 weeks of physical therapy for my back and shoulders and wanted to build on that new found stabilization strength.

Your numbers look fine to me. I don't think that you had less than 7 or 8 reps in your first 5 week. The one thing I have figured out though is that using his calculation for a rep max you need to get 2 more than prescribed for a given weight to have a rep max higher than your working weight for that cycle. So that is what I try and shoot for at a minimum when I feel good.

Derek Simonds
10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Slowly coming out of my anesthesia funk. Doctor found an inflammation in my stomach and it isn't a tumor and it isn't an ulcer. They took some biopsies and it is off to get looked at. I should have the answer in 5-7 days.

Training BJJ and Judo tomorrow morning, should be a good time!

Derek Weaver
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow. Good luck with that inflammation. Hope all is well.

Allen Yeh
10-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Slowly coming out of my anesthesia funk. Doctor found an inflammation in my stomach and it isn't a tumor and it isn't an ulcer. They took some biopsies and it is off to get looked at. I should have the answer in 5-7 days.

Training BJJ and Judo tomorrow morning, should be a good time!

Ugh! Did they say about anything you could do in the meantime while they wait for results?

Derek Simonds
10-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Well... The doctor told me to take a 20 mg prilosec in the morning to keep my acid low until they figure out what is going on. BRILLIANT!

October 22 Thursday

Had a great private with Fabio and Mark. Worked on many different variations of threading your leg through opponent arm and under their armpit while controlling both of their sleeves.

Man there is so many places to go with that. I really liked setting it up and then scooting in real tight and grabbing their opposite side ankle. I felt like once I did that I could sweep at will. In live grappling I was able to pull it off a couple of times cleanly. Mark told me once I grabbed the ankle there was nothing he could do.

Practiced rolling to turtle while controlling the arm and then rolling back into an armbar. That has some merit but I need to play with it a lot more to get comfortable.

Derek Simonds
10-23-2009, 06:27 AM
October 23 Friday

D W/U
DC Circuit 1
EC Foam Rolling

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 150 X 5, 170 X 10 (really wanted 15 or 20)
DB Rows (very strict form) 50 X 10, 65 X 10 X 2, 65 X 20

Dips 10 X 4
P/U 6 X 4

Planks 3 X 1 minute

Felt a little weak this morning. It seems when I am going for reps on the bench that I gradually lose my position. Meaning it feels like my shoulders spread and my back gets loser. I have to work on keeping all that tight for reps.

Derek Simonds
10-25-2009, 08:50 AM
October 24 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Rolling

Jr wanted to DL with me before gym.

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 4

DL up to 315 X 5 Just wasn't feeling it today. Load wasn't heavy just really struggled to get in a good position and felt like I was using my lower back way too much.

Jr on the other hand crushed his lifts and worked up to a single at double BW.

Did some pre-hab stuff and called it.

Derek Simonds
10-27-2009, 08:23 AM
October 26 Monday

D W/U
Tons of foam rolling
DC Circuit #2

BS up to 260 X 3

Press up to 95 X 13 (PR)

Plan on hitting accessory lifts for legs and press on Tuesday at hotel.

Derek Simonds
10-30-2009, 04:21 AM
October 29 Thursday

Got some really bad news from work and was just mental all day long. Finished my seminar and went to the gym at the hotel and just threw down on random crap. I did a ton of accessory work for press and squats plus 4 or 5 prehab exercises. Nothing in any order or of any signifance. Good news from work is I still have a job.

October 30 Friday

D W/U
Rolled on a swiss ball
Tons of band work

Bench 45 X 5 X 2, 95 X 5, 140 X 3, 160 X 3, 180 X 5
Pulldowns 100 X 10 X 3

Full front lifts with 25 LB DB 8 X 3
BB Rows 45 X 10, 95 X 12 X 3

Pushups on db's 12 X 3

This was the crappiest gym I have ever lifted in. I was putting on the 45's to bench and the inside collar came clean off the bar. Well I know how to fix that I thought except the threads were completely stripped off. I had more on the bench but wasn't willing to risk injury. And oh by the way they only had one olympic bar and rack!

A couple of more hours of speaking and I am heading home to the US. I can not wait to eat real food. This hotel unfortunately has the worst food ever. I have had to beg for vegetables every time we go out to eat. Weird.

Derek Simonds
11-01-2009, 08:51 AM
October 31 Saturday

PC 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 3 X 3

DL up to 335 X 3

Incline DB Bench up to 65 X 8

Drag Curlz 45 X 12 X 3

Really in a hurry so just blasted through this stuff today. Had tons of stuff on the schedule. This week should be a little interesting with all the stress at work. It is a 5/3/1 week and the plan is press on M, BS on T, Bench on W and DL on F. This will give me 9 days off before I start my final month of the year. I am going to do nothing but BW, yoga and long walks for that time period.

Derek Simonds
11-02-2009, 08:44 AM
November 2 Monday

D W/U
DC Circuit #1

My foam roller is gone. Anyone know where it went....

Press 45 X 5, 75 X 3, 80 X 5, 90 X 3, 100 X 12 (PR for weight X reps)
P/U's 5 X 9 (slowly working towards 100 a day when I do P/U's)

Hindu Pushups X 10 X 3
Posterior Flyes 25 LB DB's X 10 X 3
Last 3 sets of P/U's

Med ball throws from seated with 20 LB ball X 12 each side X 3

Funny morning I pulled the trash around last night and it was just reeking. Apparently last week my wife had some chicken she thought was bad so she tossed it on MONDAY! After the trash ran my son and I did battle with maggots for 15 minutes. We think we have vanquished them, notice I said think.

Derek Weaver
11-02-2009, 06:32 PM
You know garbage is really foul when the smell almost knocks you down with the lid down on the can.

Nice presses again my friend.

Derek Simonds
11-03-2009, 06:09 AM
November 3 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Rolling
DeFranco Agile 8

BS 45 X 5, 45 X 3, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 185 X 1, 215 X 5, 240 X 3, 275 X 2 (PR!)

SGBDL 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 8, 185 X 6

KB Snatch 16 KG X 80 (10 per side never putting the weight down)

Very happy with the BS. I wanted to get 3 but my left knee dove in on me on the 2nd rep. That wasn't so good but the weight felt solid. It is so interesting what happens with form on these near maximal lifts. I can handle the weight but feel my form coming apart and stop. I really am a 1 rep lifter...

The snatch set was legitimately hard. I was grunting on the few reps. 100 reps without stopping next 5 rep week.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Wednesday November 4

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DC Circuit 2

Bench 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 150 X 5, 170 X 5, 190 X 6
DB Row 50 X 10, 65 X 10 X 3

Dip 10, 10, 13
C/U 11, 11, 9

I had a 7th rep on the bench but failed 3/4 of the way up. This must be progress as I have never failed there before :D. Really happy with C/U's those were all dead hang with only a little kip on the last rep of the last set. One more workout this week and then 9 days of rest! We can do it!

Just wanted to add BW was a stark 192.3 this morning. First time I have weighed in quite a while.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Wednesday November 4 (PM)

BJJ with Tete and Rick. Worked positional grappling round robin style. First 30 minutes pass or sweep only. last 30 minutes we threw in submissions. You rotated bottom, top, out and then back in. Lots of good good stuff.

BJJ fundamentals osoto gari with armbar. knee up guard pass and armbar from mount.

BJJ Advanced all grappling all the time. started with first 30 minutes of shark tank from half guard, sweep or pass and you stay. First time ever I swept Fabio and took his back by ducking under when he went to move. There was a whole lot of face smashing and my face looks like I took a couple of hard hits. Grappled with a brown belt and Earl. Lots of fun just running low on gas.

3 hours of grappling might have been a little much for tonight!

Derek Simonds
11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
November 5 Thursday

10 hours later...

BJJ Private with Mark and Fabio. Worked on taking the back from a traditional knee up guard pass with stack. Lots of fun working this and it led to so many different variants it was crazy.

Love the stack pass either both legs or single leg and need to incorporate it more into my game. This morning went a long way to getting more comfortable all the way around.

There is not a single joint or muscle group in my entire body that isn't sore.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2009, 10:42 AM
November 6 Friday

D W/U
Tons of Foam Rolling

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 4

DL up to 355 X 3

Done and off to Denny's with Tracy and the kids.

Derek Simonds
11-07-2009, 10:43 AM
November 7 Saturday

BJJ All levels

Worked a bunch of cool sweeps to omoplata to triangle moves that were fun. Trained with Zacha nd we worked defending the leg up guard pass. Good class and now time to relax.

Derek Simonds
11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
November 9 Monday

Brisk 1 mile walk with Lucy

DC Circuit 3

Nice recovery day. Still exceptionally sore. Scheduling a massage for Thursday.

Derek Simonds
11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Monday November 9 (PM)

Fundamentals Self defense from bear hug, worked a sweep from where your opponent stands up to pass guard, half guard face grind pass and keylock from mount

Advanced Worked sweep where you threaded leg through opponents raised leg. Fun combination where you push them away and go on top. Lots of different varieties from that position.

Shark tank from open guard. Sweep or submit and stay in. I made it all the way through the 10 minutes and the last guy passed my guard. Grappled with a new blue belt from NY. Played a lot of different positions and landed tow subs. Fabio said ok my world champion lets train. Man he came at me hard. We went heads up right to the end of the time and he pulled off some kind of reverse sit guard pass where he ended up in a crazy mount and got an armlock. I was pretty freaking gassed at that moment but Fabio wanted me to grapple with another guy so I went one more round. Ended that match with a very controlled armbar out of the back to mount combo.

Took an ice cold shower and still am sweating an hour later. So much for taking it easy tonight.

Derek Simonds
11-12-2009, 05:09 AM
November 11 Wednesday

5:30 to 6;30 Trained with Rich and worked on nothing but sweeps. All basic sweeps even.

6:30 to 7:30 Fundamentals pretty much same stuff as Monday. Bailed before advanced and went home to see the kids.

Derek Simonds
11-12-2009, 05:10 AM
November 12 Thursday

D W/U
Jump Rope
DC Circuit 4 + several more band exercises

BS 45 X 5 X 3, 1=95 X 5, 115 X 5, 145 X 5, 175 X 5

Press 11 X 5, 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 65 X5
P/U 3 X 4

Done and off to a meeting.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
November 13 Friday

Private with Fabio and Mark. All half guard all the time. I requested half guard and it was well worth it. I really had a breakthrough I was squaring up in front of the guy on top and I needed to get more to the side and back toprotect my neck.

What a huge difference. I was able to consistently hit my sweeps from there. Worked several variants that used the kimono to trap the leg for the sweep. Nasty.

Craig Brown
11-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Derek, what's the DC circuit 4?

Derek Simonds
11-14-2009, 04:20 AM
Its part of the Diesel Crew shoulder prehab routine. There is 5 different sets of exercises and I call them circuits. I do 1 each day that I train. I have it all laid out and need to put it in the warm up thread. I will get that posted this weekend. If you look on youtube and search for diesel crew shoulder prehab you can see the video. Really solid stuff.

Derek Simonds
11-14-2009, 05:24 AM
November 14 Saturday

D W/U
TONS of foam rolling

DL up to 225 X 5

Bench up to 120 X 5
C/U 3 X 4

Quick bite to eat dropping Jr off at gym and then on to BJJ.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2009, 03:52 AM
November 14 Saturday

BJJ Armbar, omoplata and triangle. Old school all the time. Trained with Wes today and we worked all this and some more.

Grappled really well today. I am not getting as many submission attempts in each round as I want. That is something I need to focus on more. I am getting my sweeps, passes and position advances but not the sub attempts.

Be aggressive, be be aggressive!

Derek Simonds
11-16-2009, 03:55 AM
November 16 Monday

Another cycle begins

EC Foam Rolling at least 7 minutes

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 190 X 5, 220 X 5, 250 X 6

SGBDL 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 6, 205 X 3

Done. I really wanted 8 on the BS today but I was squirrely. Happy with 6. I am looking forward to this last cycle of the year. After this cycle we are testing our maxes and then taking the rest of the year off from structured training. Should be fun. Next year is going to be a serious year for BJJ and training.

Derek Simonds
11-17-2009, 03:54 AM
November 16 (PM)

Trained with Rich for an hour. Worked half guard, mostly what Fabio showed me in the private last week. Played escape from side and mount for a little while also.

Fundamentals single leg takedown to sprawl to back control to collar choke. Fabio was using me as the demo dude and absolutely crushed me on the sprawl. I wasn't ready for that. Oh well. Good times.

Derek Simonds
11-17-2009, 04:00 AM
November 17 Tuesday

D W/U lots of arm swinging
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 80 X 5, 90 X 5, 100 X 12 (REP PR)

P/U's 5 X 8

Fat Gripz 30 LB DB Curl and Press 10 X 3

Plank 1 minute side 20 seconds switch sides 20 seconds repeat on the minute X 3

Pretty pleased with the press. I wanted more of course.

Allen Yeh
11-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Nice.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2009, 05:42 AM
November 18

D W/U
Twice the normal amount of Foam Rolling
DC Lower Back Warm Up
B W/U

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 3, 135 X 3, 3 (Wow either my technique has gone to crap or I am seriously lacking explosiveness this morning!)

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 210 X 1, 245 X 5, 285 X 5, 320 X 6

I am working on my making sure that my form stays perfect throughout all the reps. This morning was my best ever on form for the DL. Yeah small victories. I also know why I have more then 1 day between BS and DL in this workout schedule normally. Holee cow are my legs fried.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
November 18 Wednesday (PM)

Fundamentals I was really late because of a screw up at Kinkos. Got there right as the warmups were finishing. Worked in a couple of reps with some guys on takedowns and then sat down with Jeff who works at the academy. We ended up swapping moves for the whole class.

Advanced Started with a sacrifice throw that I can do well but just don't finish solid with. I am going to need to get help from Gant or Mark on this one. Worked triangle from the bottom. Fabio is really pushing my grappling. I grappled with one of our guys who won Abu Dhabi as a blue belt and is now a purple. I think he was not in his highest gear. I did end up getting a half guard sweep and passed to the mount as time expired. That was pretty darn cool. But like I said he worked me hard and I think he had a completely higher gear he could have moved into if he wanted.

Next guy was a green belt and I did 3 subs on him in under a minute. I did a simple collar choke and he didn't even try to defend and he tapped immediately. I asked him why he didn't defend and he said he had only ever been tapped with a collar choke from one of the brown or black belts. I did a clock choke with my gi from side and an arm triangle. He then asked if we could do some positional work so we worked with him in my guard. I swept him a couple of times and let him work some on his passes. As time was expiring he tried to jump over my legs to pass to the mount and I pulled his ankles under my legs and popped him down. But I did it nicely cause that is a move which done full speed and without helping them down really is a stinger on the spine. He returned the favor by totally diving forward and head butting me right under the eye. Nice cut and gonna be a dandy of a shiner tomorrow.

Ah well. Good night of training and I am going to try and get in at lunch tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
11-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Maybe the lack of snap was due to the twice amount of foam rolling? I know there used to be some nights where I'd roll for like half hour and then the next day I just felt muddled on squats.

Derek Weaver
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a nice grappling session. A good shiner always makes work meetings fun.

How long are you awake when you do your strength stuff in the morning?

Derek Simonds
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
The client I met with is such a nice guy he never even mentioned it. It was a great session.

My morning routine is up at 5:20, stumble around in my room with the lights out for 2 - 3 minutes, change in the bathroom and head downstairs. Previously I would have drank a pre-workout drink like NO Xplode but now am trying to drink green tea. Green tea makes me so hot pre workout that I feel like I have already ran a mile. By 5:50 I am in the garage doing my pre-hab and foam rolling and start my first lifts shortly after 6:00

Oh yeah

November 19

40 LB weighted vest 1 mile walk with Lucy the dog. Nice morning. Got my ultrasound done and the tech said my insides are absolutely gorgeous. Best she has seen in a while. Yeah me.

Derek Simonds
11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
November 20 FRIDAY!

Man I am so glad this week is over. I am looking forward to working with Leo tomorrow at the Iron Curtain Challenge. http://www.crossfitevolution.com/ironcurtain/

2 Cups Green Tea
D W/U
Band Work
Foam Rolling

Bench 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 175 X 10 (man I wanted 11 but I am absolutely holding myself to a forms standard and it was going out the window)

Chin Ups 13, 9, 6, 8, 5
Dips 13 , 10, 10, 10, 9

Pretty darn pleased with the 13 C/U's! Now if I could get that many P/U's. Gonna try and get to BJJ at lunch but not looking good for the home team. This afternoon though for sure.

Garrett Smith
11-20-2009, 10:38 AM
You feeling better? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here...:D

Derek Simonds
11-22-2009, 10:11 AM
November 22 Sunday

D W/U (Very Short!)
Quick Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 190 X 1, 205 X 3, 235 X 3, 265 X 3

Press 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 80 X 3, 95 X 3, 100 X 10
P/U 5 X 5

Boring but BIG protocol today. Managed to knock both of those lifts out in 45 minutes. Taking the family for a golf cart ride to the BBQ shop around the corner.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2009, 04:16 AM
November 23 Monday 2 Days Left...

D W/U

.9 Miles dog walk with 40 LB vest

All the PT Band work for back and shoulders

Planks by 3 X 1 minute with feet elevated

Foam Rolling

(PM)

Forgot to log my evening BJJ normal fundamentals class.

Derek Simonds
11-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Tuesday November 24 1 more day...

D W/U
DC Circuit 3
Foam Rolling

Bench 45 X 8, 95 X 5, 135 X 1, 145 X 4 (oops), 165 X 3, 185 X 6
Chin Ups 8, 5 X 7

Dips 10 X 4

12 LB Sledge Swings 20 each direction X 2

There was 7 women working out in the garage at the same time as us this morning. It was a little hectic.

Derek Simonds
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
November 24 Tuesday (PM)

MMA Just the usual death by kick, punch, sprawl stuff. Finished with monkey in the middle. Caught a bare knuckled fist to the face from one of the younger guys. Busted lip thank you very large.

Worked a cool variant of the D'arce choke which is more like a baseball choke. Wicked if you can get it sunk in tight.

Derek Weaver
11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Shiners, busted lips... Sounds like you've got a good school there. I trained at a good one when I was in college that resulted in the same trophy wounds.

It's almost a badge of honor...

Derek Simonds
11-30-2009, 03:51 AM
November 30 Monday

It always seems that the workouts immediately following an extended trip where the adults have as much fun as we did is always difficult. Wonder why.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 85 X 5, 95 X 3, 105 X 9 (I wanted 10 but form was horrible)
P/U's 5 X 8 plus a bunch of 3's, 2;s and 1's no idea how many I did.

DC Circuit
DB Press 30 LB's 10, 8, 8
Hindu Pushups 8, 8, 8
Posterior DB Flyes 25 LB's 8, 8, 8

Good first day back. Felt ok strength wise just no gas. I had an annoying cold that just kind of held on the whole time I was gone. I think I picked it up at BJJ last week. There were several guys there with sniffles and I told them to go home.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2009, 06:00 AM
November 30 (PM)

Worked with Rich for an hour on sweeps and passes. It was great live drilling and I feel like the attention I have been paying to sweeps is paying off. I am going to continue focusing on sweeps for the next two weeks and then go back to building my submission game from each position.

Fundamentals went over the normal stuff then kimura sweep and kimura submission from closed guard. Fabio hit one detail that I have never caught before where you bring your lat and armpit directly above their elbow and then as you fall back you use your entire body to pull their elbow into your chest. This creates the bend you need so that when you hip out you can go right into the submission. I did it with several higher belts and felt a huge difference than what I normally do going for a kimura from guard.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2009, 06:05 AM
December 1 Tuesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DC Lower Body W/U

BS 45 X 6 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 2, 205 X 1, 220 X 5, 240 X 3, 280 X 1 (This is a workout PR not a 1RM PR but dangit I am happy!)

3 rounds of
8 Cossack Squats holding 16 KG KB
10 KTE
70 Second Plank

Took me just under 10 minutes not racing but not wasting time either. Those Cossack Squats are a great mobility / flexibility exercise and I highly recommend. them.

December 2 Wednesday

1 Mile dog walk
Lots of foam rolling
Small amount of band work

Derek Simonds
12-03-2009, 03:37 AM
December 2 Wednesday PM

5:30 to 6:30 worked with Rich on attack chains from side control. I am really working the keylock to armbar to americana to whatever variants. It has been interesting seeing how this develops. The superman armbar from keylock is not that hard to get but I wonder how well it will work in live grappling.

Fundamentals worked double leg than one of the judo throws I have been practicing with a rubber band. My feet timing were a lot better now I need to work on entries into the throw. Finished with kimura sweep and kimura.

Advanced we did another judo throw where you pull them off balance then kick their leg into your hand and pull it up to take them down. I was working with a big really big guy and I just couldn't get the timing down. If he put his foot on the mat it was over I couldn't move it. So I switched to the one where when they step forward you wrap your leg around theirs and take them down. Much easier for me.

Positional grappling was out of butterfly. My first opponent was a lady who trains at one of the other academies. I always worry if I am going too hard or too easy. So we started and I let her work for a minute then I asked her and she said I was fine so I passed her guard. I stayed on the mat the entire rest of the time and just went nuts with my sweeps and submissions. It was a riot. Last guy up to me was my buddy Earl who just got his purple belt. I went after submission after submission with him and he told me that I was really pressing him. In grappling I rolled with another purple we had a really active roll and I tried to focus on being relaxed right up until the moment I attacked. He played a freaking crazy half guard with a lockdown that was giving me fits. I am of the BJ Penn school of thought in that half guard is really half mount but man I just couldn't get my foot free for any length of time. I would pass and he would sneak back in and trap me again. Still a great roll. Last roll was with Dan the big fella from earlier. We agreed to go a little easier and had at it. He tried to stand up pass and left both of his arms inside and I got a neat double armbar he had never seen before.

Incredibly good sessions for not having that much energy. I tried to eat when I got home but couldn't and now am super hungry and definitely on the dehydrated side. Off to the garage for some prehab and foam rolling.

Allen Yeh
12-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Nice job with the squats!

Derek Simonds
12-04-2009, 07:44 AM
December 4 Friday

D W/U
Plate Halos
EC Foam Rolling

Bench 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 155 X 5, 175 X 3, 195 X 4 (failed miserably on the 5th rep)
DB Rows 50 X 10, 10, 10

KB C&J 24 KG X 5 each side X 7 wanted 10 but last set I was all over the place on the left.

Dip 10, 10, 9, 6, 5, 6
C/U 8, 6, 3, 5, 3, 2

Curls for the Girlz 25 DB X 12 X 3

Just had nothing in the tanks this morning. I really thought I would get 7 reps on the bench but no doing. I am going to need to find the right balance for recovery purposes. My BJJ training is going fantastic. I am going to need more conditioning next year but probably won't start pushing that until late spring. Slowly introducing conditioning into the mornings and it is going ok. I need more food and a little more sleep and I should be fine.

Derek Weaver
12-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Ahhhhhh the curlzzzzzz. I've actually been working them in my workouts too. I'm thinking of getting tatted up and taking some pictures of my abz for my "av".

On a serious note, I've been thinking elbow flexion movements. I don't hate them anymore. Not sure about extension though.

Derek Simonds
12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I am going to be adding in some static elbow flexion, like hanging from an ab sling mimicing a RNC to build some static strength in that position. Besides my wife likes seeing me do curls for some reason...

December 5 Saturday

D W/U
Diesel Crew Hip Mobility (Pretty much covers everything)
EC Foam Rolling

DL 45 X 7, 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 225 X 2, 245 X 1, 285 X 5, 320 X 3, 360 X 4 (YEAH THAT'S A PR!)

MMA Conditioning circuit off of Diesels blog 2 days ago with a trade off of power cleans for burpees

10 95 LB PC's
5 95 LB Push Press
5 Explosive Push Ups
5 Explosive Pull Ups I did chest to bar with a kip
30 Second Wall Squats
5 Jumping Squats

Round 1 2:20
Round 2 2:10

I will take them. I am going to work up to 5 rounds on this and also add in FGB twice a month. I think these two will be good all around conditioning circuits for what I am trying to accomplish.

On the Wendler max scale that is 407.89. As long as I can really pull over 400 in 2 weeks is all that matters to me. Here is the video for the 360 X 4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqaPbexElC4 Last two reps I wasn't getting my hips low enough and really sitting into the DL. The last rep I could feel how ugly it was.

Derek Weaver
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Nice DL's. I noticed that it looked like your hips are rising a touch early. Just barely. You may have an extra couple of pounds and/or reps in you.

Either way your numbers are approaching monster status.

Derek Simonds
12-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Nice DL's. I noticed that it looked like your hips are rising a touch early. Just barely. You may have an extra couple of pounds and/or reps in you.

Either way your numbers are approaching monster status.

I agree the hips are the problem. I think that is showing a weakness in my lower back. Not sure. Form is always a battle.

Derek Simonds
12-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Monday December 7

Fundamentals defense from standing RNC with judo throw, mount escape and armbar from mount. I learned that when a real Judoka does this throw that the momentum created is unreal!

Advanced escape from half guard with shoulder on chin and knee on hip to pull leg through, escape from half guard where you use shoulder on chin and their own gi to chicken wing them. Submission where you are trying to escape half guard and are not having success and switch to brabo choke with the gi.

We did positional grappling starting in half guard. I beat the first purple then stayed through the next 5 guys, Gant passed my guard :D and he got to stay out for the next 5 guys whom he swept all of. Nicely done sir! Finished with grappling one of the big MMA guys we have who is getting better. I was able to get an armbar and a triangle that I rolled him with and finished from the top. Rolled with Gant to finish the evening and when he figures out what to do with his hands at all times and gets a little more flexibility he is going to be downright unstoppable on the ground.

Gant shared a couple of lessons in Judo with me and I will be remembering them the rest of the week. At least that is how long I think the bruising will take to go down.... If you have any interest in Judo at all Gant is the man to ask his game is solid, rock solid. I am glad that he is moving to the ground game and really excited he is going to go compete in the old guys division at the Pan-Ams with me at least maybe even Brazil... Hmm I don't remember if he actually said yes to any of that. :D

After training we split a large pizza and I came home and drank a half carton of eggnog with a beer. At least I am not in a caloric deficit. I feel bad for Gant all he got was the pizza and then back to his hotel room.

Seriously thanks for coming and training with us Gant everyone enjoyed it.

Derek Simonds
12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Wednesday December 9

D W/U
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 65 X 5
Face Pulls 12 X 3

BS 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5

Dip 5 X 2
C/U 5 X 2

Curl and Press 25 LB DB X 12 X 2

Good recovery workout

Derek Simonds
12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Saturday December 12

Judo with Mark and his teacher Ralph. Ralph is a 40 year veteran of Judo and from Cuba. It was entirely enjoyable. I will be training with them more often.

Work up to a max effort on press. I am as disappointed in my press as I have been on any lift in a long time. I am actually getting worse at pressing. I only managed 125 LB's I push jerked 165 easily afterwards but missed on a full jerk at 185. Just really not pleased at all with my performance.

I am going to press twice a week from here out. On press days I am going to bench and on bench days I am going to press. Ridiculous I tell ya. I might be just beat up from this week I don't know. I do know that I am going to take a nap.

Allen Yeh
12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Might be a recovery thing if you are getting worse at the press? Too much for your shoulders to handle right now?

Derek Simonds
12-14-2009, 04:05 AM
December 14 Monday

After a fantastic weekend, Breakfast with Santa, several hours at Disney Animal Kingdom and 9 hours of sleep last night....

BS 305 X F, 300 X F, 295 X F

Well I just might be about perturbed now!

Derek Weaver
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
When are you set for a deload?

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Or maybe a little more caffeine.

Derek Simonds
12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
When are you set for a deload?

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Or maybe a little more caffeine.

Yeah no crap. I did a deload last week. But apparently my deload was compromised by stress. It is weird I feel significantly stronger than I was 6 months ago, I am hitting PR's in training on a regular basis just not picking up anything on the top end right now. I know that I am bigger for sure. I weighed in at right at 202 for the last week. Happy with everything except what is happening with these heavy singles.

BTW missing those squats I have soreness in several muscles that I am not used to.

Tuesday December 15

D W/U

Lots of messing around with kipping chest to bar p/u's

Bench worked up to a heavy single at 215, missed 230.

Done and done. Flight to Charlotte for today and Montgomery later. Boston Thursday and back home early Friday morning. Appointment with doctor about my turf toe and I am officially getting into vacation mode.

Derek Weaver
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Good single on the bench.

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Your activity level is pretty darn high. Much higher than mine, and I don't have a family.

Derek Simonds
12-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Tuesday was a blow out travel day, 4 states, 2 meetings and a lot of airport food. Wednesday almost missed my meeting I flew to Montgomery for as I had it in my calendar for Eastern time for some reason. OOPS. I am always early so what I thought was an hour early turned out to be right when the meeting started. Finished up there and flew to Boston where it is ball shrinking, snot freezing wicked pisser cold! I really don't know how people live like this all the time.

Wednesday morning I did some mobility and pre-hab work plus.

4 X 12 Pushup Plus
4 X 12 30 LB DB Row

4 X 12 20 LB Curl and Press
4 X 12 30 LB DB Shrugs

Just moving around. Stretching and maybe some BW stuff in my hotel room this morning. Looking forward to a successful meeting here and then flying home.

Derek Simonds
12-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Good single on the bench.

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Your activity level is pretty darn high. Much higher than mine, and I don't have a family.

I am going to take some time off first of the year. I have a lot of travel from the 30th through the 9th so I might use that to do nothing.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Friday December 18

D W/U
Foam Rolling
Burgener W/U

Power Cleans 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 5

DL work up to a heavy single. Made 345 which is 15 LB's less than I worked out with last week. I am guessing that I am absolutely smoked. Only explanation. I checked my resting heart rate this morning before I got up and it was in the 70's. I am going to reset all my numbers for the first of the year and work through 1 week of it next week. Than I am taking the next 10 days completely off.

I am going to rest from work, weights and stress.

Derek Weaver
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Good call on the 10 days off. To be honest, I'm damn impressed at the progress you've made considering you: are employed, have a family, lift multiple days/week, and hit jits/mma regularly. Did I leave anything else out?

Here's to a good year and an even better one coming up. In and out of the gym.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Did a little cross training today. I have shot most of my life but never in a competition. I was invited yesterday to shoot in the first Carbine only meet at a local gun club. There was 35 competitors and it was 44 degrees this morning. I had commitments for after 1:00 and being an inaugural meet it was running a little behind. Here are some pictures. First is the weapon I used.

http://i46.tinypic.com/b3ki82.jpg

First stage was 3 targets left window, 3 targets right window both required 2 shots to the kill zone for all targets. Open door use cover and shoot 3 targets you see 1 close and 2 far away, these required 2 to body and 1 to head.

http://i49.tinypic.com/hrhlhz.jpg

Second Stage had 4 locations to shoot from, A required a support side shot on 2 targets, B was strong side on 2 targets, C back to support side inside the maze on 3 targets, D strong side on 3 targets. This was the first time I have ever shot support side with a carbine.

http://i49.tinypic.com/fe16av.jpg

Third stage was my favorite, you started seated in the car hands on the wheel and buckled in. From there you had to exit car, retrieve your rifle load and engage 2 targets from the rear bumper, switch to support and engage 2 targets from front bumper. Run to cover and engage the 5 remaining targets as they become available. I used support side on the left for 2 targets and strong on the right for the other 3. I only had 2 misses and shot the stage in 54 seconds.

http://i46.tinypic.com/jjpoit.jpg

Continued below....

Derek Simonds
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Fourth stage starts with support side at 3 targets that are in various stages of cover. This was an accuracy stage. It was scored VA style where you only got 2 shots per target and had to have both of them in the kill zone. Second set of targets was strong side and kneeling besides cover. Once the targets are shot you must do a tactical reload and retain the magazine. Run to the next spot and engage the 4 remaining targets from standing.

http://i48.tinypic.com/jkg2nb.jpg

And here is a video of the last stage. I wish that I had got some videos from the other stages but I didn't know anyone so I finally asked a guy in my group to video me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OCYnlzeg0

Loads of fun and Tracy is probably going to shoot in the next one with me. It will be embarrassing when she beats me but oh well. You know what they say about the family that trains together....

Kevin Perry
12-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Ah sweet, I still have not gotten to shoot my AR, got it a year ago been wanting to do some mods to it and take it down to the range. Only things I've done to it thus far is a new molded grip for it and ambidextrous magazine ejection. I really want to get an EOTech sight for it.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Ah sweet, I still have not gotten to shoot my AR, got it a year ago been wanting to do some mods to it and take it down to the range. Only things I've done to it thus far is a new molded grip for it and ambidextrous magazine ejection. I really want to get an EOTech sight for it.

I would definitely get an ambi safety if your AR didn't come one. It made all the difference when shooting support side. A lot of the guys were using EOTech's at the match. Using a red dot makes it so much nicer shooting non dominant.

And oh yeah get to the range and get some rounds down!

Derek Simonds
12-21-2009, 05:01 AM
December 21 Monday

Evaluation week for new programming

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
KB W/U Press, Clean, Squat and DL X 8 X 2

Strength:
Press 45 X 5, 5 X 65 X 5, 80 X 5, 90 X 5, 100 X 11
Band work, low pulls, ext rotation and diesel face pulls

Press walkouts 150 X 10 seconds X 3

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 15, 95 X 15, 115 X 15, 15, 125 X 15
DB Row 50 LB X 10 X 5

Ab:
Sand Bag S/U's 33 LB's X 12 X 4
Weighted Planks + 25 LB's X 30 seconds X 4
Anti Rotation X 20 seconds each side X 3

GTG throughout the day on dips and p/u's. Press felt great today. I am working on using a belt like Justin talked about on 70's big. Man my abs have been super sore using it. Appears that there is an adjustment going on. On the last two reps of the press I really pressed out against the belt and it made a huge difference and I got the reps. W/U took 15 minutes and workout took 55 minutes. Tomorrow is the real test on timing. The KB W/U can be done with a shorter rest, today I went then Andy went, next time we will each grab a bell and do it w/ 30 seconds rest.

Derek Simonds
12-22-2009, 04:24 AM
December 22 Tuesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

W/U Complex 45LB's X 5 X 2
Hang Clean
Front Squat
Hang Snatch
OH Squat
Press
Row
RDL

Strength:
BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 5, 200 X 5, 230 X 5
BS Walkouts 300 X 10 seconds X 3 + 3 1/8 Squats

Hypertrophy
BS 95 X 30 (well that had a higher margin of suck than I expected!)

25 Inch Box Jumps X 5 X 3
GM 45 X 12 X 3

Russian Twist W/ 20 LB Med Ball X 24 X 3
Swiss Ball Planks X 30 seconds X 3

I am still trying to adapt to using a belt correctly. It is so freaking weird but I feel weaker with the belt on than off. I focus, push air into my belly get super tight and squat. I think I am doing it correctly but hell I could have it all wrong. I know this my abs are freaking sore from the last week of using the belt. I did however have my Blue Suede Do-Wins back and that made me very happy. the 95 X 30 got my spinae erectors fired up! The rest of me was ok, well other than I laid on the ground for an entire song afterwards, but other than that just fine.

15 minutes on W/U and 50 minutes on workout. I can live with that.

Derek Weaver
12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Bro.... those 30 reps on the back squat seem miserable. Even if it's "only 95 lbs", that's plenty of time for a bar on your back.

I'm going to add them next time through 5/3/1 if I'm feeling good. Well, I guess if the scale's not moving I will. Maybe.

Derek Simonds
12-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Bro.... those 30 reps on the back squat seem miserable. Even if it's "only 95 lbs", that's plenty of time for a bar on your back.

I'm going to add them next time through 5/3/1 if I'm feeling good. Well, I guess if the scale's not moving I will. Maybe.

My legs didn't feel it at all. My spinae erectors caught on fire and are still lit up. Saturday will be 2 sets of 30 and Monday will be 3 X 30 :eek:

Now for the important part. I ate 3 peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches yesterday. That was in addition to my regular food. :D Today I am going for 3 and a half gallon egg nog. Wish me luck!

And I am happy to report that apparently Grilled Cheese is F'ing Awesome so I can eat that as well.

Derek Weaver
12-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Wendler made a good point didn't he? I'm not going to disagree. Grilled cheese is indeed awesome.

Derek Simonds
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Wendler made a good point didn't he? I'm not going to disagree. Grilled cheese is indeed awesome.

I damn near pissed myself when I read that. I am working in my egg nog now!

December 23 Wednesday

Private with Fabio and Mark

We worked attack chains from side control, taking the back from side and fat man mount or s mount from side. I am working on this crazy game where I use the gi to chicken wing the outside arm and then attack like mad from there. You can go to baseball choke, collar choke, or an armbar if they try to defend. Flat out silly if you get that chicken wing. Once that arm is wrapped up I can do anything I want and the best part is that if they are trying the usual face grind with their forearm to create space they are playing right into this move.

We grappled non stop from side for 30 minutes. If you were on bottom you started in the worst position with inside arm cleared and face plastered to the mat. Bottom guy had to escape and top guy had to advance or submit. Fabios challenge to me was a submission in 1 minute or less everytime from that position. So I pushed it and went nuts. I think my longest time to submit was 1:20. I also almost puked at one point. We were going hard and fast.

Truly a great class and a fantastic way to finish out pre Christmas.

Derek Simonds
12-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Thursday December 24th Merry Christmas Eve

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work: Low Pulls, Pull Aparts, Dislocates, Behind Neck Press, 45 Degree Rear Raises

Complex B 5 X 2
Upright Row (hate these)
Hang Clean Grip Snatch
BS
Behind Neck Press
GM

RKC Armbar + TGU 3 minutes

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 175 X 10
DB Row 50 LB's X 12 X5

Press 45 X 15, 55 X 15, 60 X 15, 65 X 15
Shrug 50 X 12 X 3
BB Curlz 55 X 12, 65 X 12, 12

The 175 X 10 was easy. I am doing much better on my press and bench with the belt than I am on the BS. Weird! I definitely felt like I had more in me today. Off for our annual Christmas Eve golf outing with the neighbors. I am sure there will be pictures posted later.

Oh and here is Jr with a move he calls the elevator. He was jacking around while I was training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454AeGQ2FVs

Derek Simonds
12-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Saturday December 26

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Complex C X 6 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 235 X 5, 275 X 5, 310 X 5

BS 45 X 30, 95 X 30

Partial DL with DO and Fat Gripz 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 200 X 2
GM 45 X 12 X 3

KB Windmills 16 KG X 12 each side X 3
hanging Leg Lifts

Windmills after GMs and DLs sucked. Sucked royally. My forearms were the weak link in the hanging leg raises. So the Fat Gripz did their job. Good Training session today.

Derek Simonds
12-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Forgot to mention that Santa brought me one of those cheap Sports Authority ab wheels. I wanted the lifeline fitness one but apparently Mrs. Clause decided that 9.99 fit the budget better than 59.99!

So every single person that came over asked what I got and I showed them. I think I did about 50 rollouts from the knees yesterday and my stomach is extremely sore. My 79 YO grandmother gave it a go. She could roll out but couldn't pull back in. Lots of fun.

Kevin Perry
12-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Those things are great

Derek Simonds
12-28-2009, 06:38 AM
December 28th Monday

D W/U
.5 Mile Jog with Lucy (Yes I actually ran)
EC Foam Rolling
RKC Armbar + TGU 4 Minutes
Band Work: Low Pulls, Pull Aparts, Dislocates, BNP, Internal and External Rotation, Face Pulls

All Hypertrophy All the Time!
Bench 45 X 12, 7, 95 X 12, 115 X 12, 135 X 12, 155 X 12
DB Rows 50 X 12 X 4, 20

Press 45 X 12, 55 X 12, 65 X 12, 75 X 12
C/U 5 X 3

Shrug 50 X 12 X 4
BB Curl 45 X 12 X 4

Today and tomorrow just getting a pump on and then taking the next week off before hitting it super hard for the next 3 months. I started too low on both press and bench but that is ok. Off for an adult play day with Tracy. Should be loads of fun.

Derek Simonds
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
D W/U

DC Lower Body W/U
EC Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 10, 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 5, 245 X 2

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5

Done just no time today and so much to do. Heading up to the cold cold north tomorrow morning and not really looking forward to the weather part.

Packing has been nutty. Kind of hard to plan for the cold when your kids have never really been in it :D

Derek Weaver
12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Have a nice trip. I guess living in Florida your kids are going to be in for a shock with the cold eh?

Derek Simonds
01-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Loads of fun in the frozen north. I can sincerely say that I do not miss it at all.

January 05 Tuesday

D W/U

25 minutes on the elliptical

3 X 12 50 LB DB Shrugs
3 X 12 30 LB DB Hammer Curls
3 X 60 Seconds Plank

2 X 30 Crunches
2 X 10 Hanging Leg Raises

This was not what I planned to do this morning. But I got lost on the way to the gym and drove around for 30 plus minutes trying to find it. So I came back to hotel and hit this quickly. I will go to a real gym tonight to press.

Derek Simonds
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
January 05 Tuesday

D W/U

Strength:
Press 45 X 5, 5, 65 X 5, 75 X 5, 90 X 5, 100 X 13
Neutral Grip C/U's 5 X 5

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 115 X 12, 135 X 12
Row 55 X 12 X 4

Done and Done.

Derek Simonds
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
January 06 Wednesday

D W/U
5 minutes treadmill

Strength:
BS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 170 X 5, 195 X 5, 220 X 5

Hypertrophy:
BS 95 X 30

GM's 45 X 10, 95 X 12 X 3

Grip:
2 hand pinch 2 35's X 10 seconds X 4
BB Crush 45 X 20, 65 X 20 X 2, 95 X 20 (that was a challenge)

I brought my belt with me to Michigan then somehow packed it in the stuff that went back to FL when I came to Toronto. Not what I had planned. Squats felt really good today. I am exhausted from travel and work. I going to find a good meal tonight with some green vegetables, I need some.

Derek Simonds
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
January 07 Thursday

I am going home tomorrow!

D W/U

Strength:
Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 180 X 5 (no spotter)

Hypertrophy:
Press 45 X 12, 65 X 12 X 3

P/U's of varying widths 3 X 10

In and out in 25 minutes.

Derek Simonds
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
January 08 Friday

D W/U

Stretching

30 Minutes on elliptical with heart rate under 138. My HR edged up on me during one of the intervals but I got it under control.

Stretching

Kind of a crazy long day. Travel from Canada back to the states sucked. 4 seperate security screenings and the last one was like running a gauntlet of RCMP's. They patted everyone down going to the states it was wild.

Derek Simonds
01-09-2010, 01:59 PM
January 09 Saturday

Got home after 2:00 last night and slept til 9:00 Laney had cheerleading which was super cool. I will post a video little later. Came home ate some lunch and went back to sleep. I got up around 3:00 PM but I literally had to make myself get out of bed.

D W/U
B W/U

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Strength:
DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 235 X 5, 270 X 5, 310 X 5

Hypertrophy:
BS 95 X 30 X 2

Finisher
44 LB Sandbag S/U's 15, 16, 17, 20
Push Up Plus 7, 8, 9, 10
Narrow Grip Chin Ups with a real slow tempo 3 X 4

I used the sort of hook grip that Gant showed me last time we were together. It was super cold in the garage. We had freezing rain today and my hands did not like it at all. I took that hook grip all the way up to the 3rd rep of the last set. I am liking it a lot!

Derek Simonds
01-11-2010, 04:04 AM
January 11 Monday

Got a super busy day at work coming up.

D W/U
Band Work

Strength:
Press 45 X 5, 5, 65 X 5, 85 X 5, (oops) 95 X 3, 105 X 9
P/U's 5 X 5

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 115 X 12, 125 X 12, 135 X 12
DB Row 50 X 12 X 4
Yellow Band Mod Face Pulls X 12 X 4

Curl 45 X 12, 55 X 12, 12
Shrug 50 X 12 X 3

S/U 1 hand med ball throws 6 Lb X 24 X 3

A brisk 21 degrees this lovely morning. Every piece of metal in the garage just seemed to sap the strength right out of your hands. Amazing what a difference temp makes. Man I wanted 10 on the press. I should have went for it.

Derek Simonds
01-12-2010, 04:14 AM
January 12 Tuesday

And it was a super busy day at work. I was still at my desk at 7:00 so no BJJ last night.

D W/U
DC Lower Body W/U

Strength:
BS 45 X 5, 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 190 X 3, 215 X 3, 240 X 3

Hypertrophy:
BS 95 X 30, 30, 30

Who the hell is Dan John and what does he know about squatting... OMG 30 X 3 was absolutely nasty. My entire lower back is en fuego! Thankfully we move to 115 X 25 X 3 Friday... I really saw no reason to do anything else, no abs and definitely no GM's today. I am very hungry right now and plan on eating the appropriate amount of food now.

Allen Yeh
01-12-2010, 06:13 AM
yikes 30? that seems evil

Derek Simonds
01-13-2010, 03:29 AM
yikes 30? that seems evil

Evil of a disproportionate level. I really wonder why I thought this would be a good idea. Still not sure, but and this is huge, I can tell a difference after 4 sessions of high rep squats. I don't know that I would recommend them to anyone however as the level of suck is so high!

Allen Yeh
01-13-2010, 03:58 AM
How many sessions do you do?

Gant Grimes
01-13-2010, 06:48 AM
3x30? Slitting your wrists is an easier way to go, my friend.

Derek Weaver
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, when I read that article the first thing I thought was that 20 rep squats are torture, 30 reps is suicide.

I'm glad you're trying this for the rest of us.

Allen Yeh
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
What article am I missing here?

BTW I must have skipped a few pages of your log Derek S. because looking ba k to look for a link of the article I just saw your shooting pictures. Nice! I need to shoot more as I don't think I would have made it past round 2!

Derek Simonds
01-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Here is the Dan John Article

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/mass_made_simple%3bjsessionid=C41EFFCBBF7BD8E40459 25D7CF2863F0.hydra

Thanks on the shooting. It was a good time. Tracy got an AR for Christmas and we are going out to sight it in. Apparently she has been out of the Army too long as she field stripped the AR but couldn't put it back together. That got a big chuckle from me.

January 14 Thursday

D W/U
RKC Armbars

Strength:
Bench 45 X 5, 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 150 X 3, 170 X 3, 190 X 5 (man these felt good today should have tried for a couple more)
DB Rows 50 Lb's X 12 X 5

Hypertrophy:
Press 45 X 12, 65 X 12, 75 X 12, 85 X 12 (Decided to man up and increase the weights)
Chin Ups 5 X 5 Really slow tempo with a full stretch at the bottom

DB Shrugs 65 X 10, 50 X 12, 12
BB Crush 45 X 20 X 3
BB Curl 45 X 12 X 3

My forearms were absolutely on fire, in fact my entire arm was on fire from that. Apparently the really slow Chin Ups changed the stimulus some. I returned my onistuka tigers to Zappos yesterday and got a pair of the new Nike Free 5.0's. As much as I am traveling I am trying to find a pair of shoes that I can workout in and do some running or walking. I tried on last years pair of Free's and liked them. These new ones are solid. They have more cushioning then I wanted but are pretty close for an all around shoe. I will see how they work out.

Today was the first morning where I wasn't absolutely freezing the entire workout. I think it was 36 or 37 this morning. Yeah us!

Tomorrow Jr and I leave for his first gymnastics meet of the season. He is starting the year as a level 5 and if he does really well can move up. I actually hope that he stays at 5 for the entire time. His coach of the last 3 years has left the gym and the owner of the gym took over coaching the boys. Lets just say that there is a significant difference in the coaching that is going on. The boys learned the movements but never learned how to compete. That is what Ken is doing for Jr right now, he is teaching him how to compete. He has showed him several little things that should pay big dividends if Jr does them correctly at the meet.

This more than likely is his last meet season so I am actually nervous for him.

Allen Yeh
01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Free's is I wish they came a little bit wider!

Derek Simonds
01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
As of my first impressions they fit my feet perfectly on the width. We shall see after an all day session how they fit. I am pretty jacked actually. Don't know why.

Oh and I really want a pair of those Rogue Fitness shoes with the low heel in the rear. Don't have the extra scratch to throw at them yet but will keep my eye on them. Thanks 70sbig.com.

Derek Simonds
01-15-2010, 05:59 AM
January 15 Friday

D W/U
DC Lower Body + Agile 8
Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 5 x 3

Strength:
DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 255 X 3, 290 X 3, 325 X 3

Hypertrophy:
BS 45 X 10, 115 X 25 X 3 Well I freaking did it!

I cut myself pretty bad on my left thumb last week with a hunting knife. It isn't healed yet and made for some interesting DL'ing. Right on the tip of my thumb, multiple bandaids and some tape kept most of the blood in check. I figured 3's would be just fine today based on what I knew was coming on the squats.

My legs were kind of locking up when I got done with each set. It made me chuckle. They don't feel too bad right now so lets hope they are good for the 4.5 hour drive tonight. I am still having a problem feeling comfortable DL'ing with the belt on. Today was the best yet, but still not right. All the other lifts the belt feels natural. DL not so much. I played with the position of the belt and moved it a little higher today at first. In the higher position I didn't feel like I could push against as well as lower. So back down and off we go.

My workout partner is in a terrible funk. He is getting stronger but can't seem to shed any fat unless he goes no carb or very low carb. He really wants to lose some fat. I keep telling him that he looks 10 times better than when he started. I am running out of things to tell him. BTW he doesn't want to be low carb for life so that is the real struggle for him.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Derek,
Great work.

I see no shame in wearing a strap on that hand with the cut thumb. I reguarly use straps on my heavier sets because I need to save my hands for event training. I see no shame in it at all.

Belt position is personal. I prefer mine higher, almost about my navel.

Good luck motivating your partner. It's always a hard sell. I'm trying to find ways to get my wife going again, she's coming around, slowly but surely.

All the best,
ARden

Gant Grimes
01-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Have him log his food for two weeks. Everything he puts in his mouth. It's a pain in the ass, but you'll find the culprit. Most people don't account for the snacking and the extras.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Got him signed up on Fitday. I think adult beverages might play into it a little...

Here is Jr's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2VdnIc6c4. I have a couple of friends that just check my log so I am re-posting the video here.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Arden thanks for the input on the belt. I think that the navel is about where I like it. Doing these high rep squats I have bruised my hips from the belt digging into me. I am still playing with it and will report back. I will use straps if my hand is still bothering me this week, I didn't really even consider using straps....

Derek Simonds
01-18-2010, 04:14 AM
January 18 Monday

D W/U
Band Work
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 5, 65 X 5, 90 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 5
P/U 6 X 3

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 115 X 12, 135 X 12, 155 X 12
DB Rows 50 LB's X 12 X 4

Planks 1 min, 30 sec each side rest 1 minute X 3

I feel like I am better at pressing but 5 reps was slightly disappointing. I will keep at it. Hoping to make BJJ class at least 3 times this week. Last week in the office for me for a month so I need to be super productive.

Derek Simonds
01-19-2010, 06:16 AM
January 19 Tuesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DC Lower Body W/U

Strength:
BS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 4, 185 X 3, 200 X 5, 230 X 3, 255 X 2

Hypertrophy:
BS 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 185 X 5, 225 X 5

Ab Rollouts from knees 6 X 4

Absolutely the best I have felt squatting with a belt yet. On the 255 I had more but was kind of holding back knowing I was doing it all over again. My knees did cave a little on the 2nd rep not horrible but a little. The ab rollouts were not hard but I could definitely feel my abs working. This might be a record I have now done 2 workouts in a row with abs! Crap if I pull off 3 in a row that will be a new PR...

First thing this morning the scale said 202.5 I am definitely putting on the weight right now. I just have to be careful I have seen what happens when you blow right by your target weight. :D

Derek Weaver
01-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Nice work. Good frequency pr on the abz.

Derek Simonds
01-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Nice work. Good frequency pr on the abz.

By gawd they are gonna be strong, too bad you can't see them right now...

Derek Simonds
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Best quote from my workout partner.

When are we going to be through with this squat your brains out BS, I just want to be able to walk normal again, you know not like I have a corn cob shoved up my ass.

Interestingly enough my legs and abz hurt today. Wonder why?

Derek Weaver
01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Crazy how high rep squats and ab rollouts make the abz scream. You need to get a tribal tattoo, board shorts and a wallet chain

Derek Simonds
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Crazy how high rep squats and ab rollouts make the abz scream. You need to get a tribal tattoo, board shorts and a wallet chain

Hey you hanging out at my house?

I woke up with a cold, I am sore as frack, I am going to crush my bench workout tomorrow that is all.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2010, 04:22 AM
January 22 Friday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Bench 45 X a lot, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 160 X 5, 180 X 3, 200 X 4 (gonna need to check that might be a PR)
DB Rows 50 X 12, 65 X 10 X 4

Press 45 X 12, 70 X 12, 80 X 12, 90 X 12
C/U 5 X 4

Russian Twist X 24 X 3 20 LB MB
L sit support 3 X 15 seconds

On the 4th rep of bench my glute cramped up major. Wow that was uncomfortable. Jr was in the garage with me on the presses and he said I don't think you can get 12 on 90, so I had to get all 12 and it was a grind. Glad he was there, made me get it done.

Oh yeah that is a PR on ABZ 3 days in a row.....

Derek Simonds
01-23-2010, 06:39 AM
January 23 Saturday

D W/U
B W/U
DC Lower Body W/U
EC Foam Rolling

HPC 45 X 5 X 4

Strength:
DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 275 X 5, 310 X 3, 345 X 1

Hypertrophy:
BS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 20, 15

Jr worked out with me this morning. That was a real treat. He just always wants to go as hard as he can. Loads of fun. Off to cheerleading with Laney.

Derek Simonds
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Just in case you were curious the 20 and 15 rep squats were miserable.

Derek Weaver
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
There are very few things after heavy deads that I'd rather do less than high rep squats.

Ouch.

Derek Simonds
01-25-2010, 06:11 AM
I am pretty excited for this rest week. I am going to train once with Dave Whitley who is doing the seminar up at Greg's place and once with another RKC. Gonna get some hard style KB training while in TN!

Allen Yeh
01-26-2010, 04:58 AM
From the new DJ T-nation article:

Gary's Half-Hour Deadlift Challenge

The second challenge comes by way of my brother, Gary: Load the bar to 315 pounds. In the next half-hour, deadlift it as many times as you can.

Gary, a 61 year-old thrower, did 60 reps during his last attempt. He does doubles on the minute. I suggested that to insure less soreness (as if this were possible) do one rep every thirty seconds and drop the bar at the "top" lockout position on every deadlift.

That's right, drop every deadlift. You'll experience far less soreness this way.

I think it goes without saying to keep good posture here. The upside of challenges like this is that your technique actually improves over the workout and your capacity to work increases.

Now, if you can't deadlift 315, well, maybe that's the problem you're having right there!

How evil does that sound?

Derek Simonds
01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
From the new DJ T-nation article:

How evil does that sound?

You want to do it? :D That seriously is almost certainly retardedly mind bending can't walk for 5 days type of lifting. Of course it is from the one of the John brothers... who gave me this 6 week crazy squat program I am on.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I'll go ahead and watch from the sidelines on that challenge.

Allen Yeh
01-27-2010, 04:17 AM
You want to do it? :D That seriously is almost certainly retardedly mind bending can't walk for 5 days type of lifting. Of course it is from the one of the John brothers... who gave me this 6 week crazy squat program I am on.

I'm trying to think what the most reps I've gotten for 315 in one set is 9.....now Gary got 66? in 30 minutes. When do you finish up the squat program? I think next week instead of doing the 4 sets of farmers walks on monday I'll just do the 5 minutes with 85#'s thing instead.

Derek Simonds
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
this is a rest week and then i have 3 more weeks of squat hell.

Derek Simonds
01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
January 27 Wednesday

I trained tonight with David Whitley in Nashville TN. 2 hours of absolute KB information overload. he really took me through everything. Started with the swing and worked to the TGU. Let's just say that my technique was not in line with the RKC. I learned a ton. An absolute ton. No way around it. We also identified some of my compensation patterns overhead and I got some good cues to help me keep my shoulders packed.

Most exciting of all though for me was that I tore an entire deck of cards!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ivmzhi.jpg

Derek Weaver
01-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice job on the deck of cards.

Working with a KB instructor is eye opening isn't it?

When I did just an hour I learned a ton... good stuff.

Allen Yeh
01-28-2010, 03:42 AM
this is a rest week and then i have 3 more weeks of squat hell.

So did I hear DL challenge thing in 4 weeks?

Derek Simonds
01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Yep. Why not, I am going to enter a push, pull raw PL meet in April should be fun.

Kevin Perry
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Derek that is awesome, a while back my friend and I were done with O-lifting and went to eat (big guy was around 6'3'' 300lbs then), showed off to some girls when he tore a thick yellow pages book in half (book closed not open) and made it look easy. Complete jaw dropper.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Is card tearing raw strength? Technique? Practice? Or all 3? I've never really thought about it.

Derek Simonds
01-29-2010, 04:53 AM
It does require strength. There are two ways to tear phone books, brute strength and cheating where you kink the pages and then tear. With cards you can't do the kink trick so it takes a little more strength I think. I would bet that most people on here were pretty close to the strength needed. The problem is hand positioning and pain tolerance. You have to have really good pinch strength in your fingers of the right hand (if you are right handed) and be able to keep the grip as you are tearing the cards. The pain tolerance thing sucks, cards hurt to tear.

Allen Yeh
02-01-2010, 04:28 AM
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5110

DL challenge thread.

Derek Simonds
02-01-2010, 07:36 AM
February 01 Monday

D W/U
Band work

Strength:
Press 45 X 5, 5, 65 X 5, 85 X 5, 100 X 5, 115 X 5
P/U 5 X 5

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 12, 135 X 12, 12, 15
DB Row 50 X 12 X 4

ABZ.... 1 day in a row this week so far
Plank 1:15, side 25, 25 rest for 55 seconds and repeat 3 times.

Grip:
Card tearing practice with a really tough deck. Just some isometrics, get in position twist and build up calluses practice.

I wanted more reps on the press. I took too big of a breath and just wasn't ready at all on my 5th rep. I am still working out this wear a belt thingy. Sometimes it just feels so right others I feel like I am fighting it.

Derek Simonds
02-02-2010, 07:26 PM
February 2 Tuesday

D W/U
Agile 8
EC Foam Rolling (with a lumpy foam roller, weird)

Jump rope 100 reps with 10 DU's thrown in

Strength:
BS 45 X5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 210 X 5, 235 X 5

Hypertrophy:
BS 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 5

Abz:
Russian Twist w/ 25 LB plate X 24 X 3
Leg lifts 12 X 3

In the middle of the BS I tore a deck of 56 plasticized cards. Pretty fun. The squatting was nothing major today just kind of going through the motions. I needed a workout partner to keep me focused for sure! Abz 2 days in a row...

Derek Weaver
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
It sounds like card tearing is addictive...

Abz two days in a row? Keep it up and you'll get your own infomercial.

Derek Simonds
02-03-2010, 03:56 AM
It sounds like card tearing is addictive...

Abz two days in a row? Keep it up and you'll get your own infomercial.

Card tearing is addictive. Plus I love having a party trick, and until I have torn enough decks to be able to do it after a few adult beverages I will keep practicing. My infomercial is in the works. Watch out late night TV.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
February 3 Thursday

D W/U
2 laps walking fast
EC Foam rolling
Band work

Strength:
Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 145 X 5, 165 X 5, 190 X 5
DB Rows 55 X 12, 12, 60 X 12, 60 X 20

Hypertrophy:
Press 45 X 12, 65 X 12, 85 X 12, 95 X 7
Neutral Grip P/U 5 X 4

Abz:
Decline Rockies X 24, 15, 15

Curlz 45 X 12, 50 X 12, 55 X 10. 60 X 10
BB Crush 45 X 20, 70 X 20, 80 X 20, 80 X 15

I felt really strong this morning even considering the benches were like as slick as ice and I had to bum a spot off a guy passing by. Everything just kind of flowed. I am so sore from my BS though. Crazy how bad I hurt.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2010, 05:02 AM
February 5 Friday

D W/U
Stretching
All kinds of band work (30 minutes worth)

I did the pushup challenge from the T-Nation article.

1 push up stand up 2 stand up... all the way to 10. Well it was harder than I thought it would be. I have done 50 burpees for time and I thought I hit right around 2 minutes so I figured under 2 was a no brainer. Nope 2:02. My arms are on fire.

Major mess up on travel today. My return flight to home was booked for March 5 not February 5. Uh Oh Richard! You don't want to know what I had to pay to get a flight today...

Allen Yeh
02-05-2010, 05:04 AM
It was harder than it looked...I actually failed during the 8 rep set... embarrassing!

Derek Simonds
02-06-2010, 07:49 AM
February 6 Saturday

I said it was a mess for my travel plans yesterday, well that ended up being an understatement! The flight I paid 800 for a 1 way ticket to get home ended up getting delayed 4 times in Nashville and it was looking like there was no way I was going to get all the way home. Soo I went down told my story to a ticket agent at Southwest and while they were looking at the flight I thought I had booked 1 seat opened! I got the right person at exactly the right moment and managed to get home. I even was able to call Delta and because everything was so messed up they refunded me my 800. Totally a lucky day for me, even with not getting home until after 1:00 AM.

I cannot say enough positive things about Southwest. The ticket agent I spoke with fixed two tickets for me and didn't charge me a dime. They definitely understand customer service.

D W/U
B W/U
EC Foam Rolling

P/C 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

Strength:
DL 135 X 3, 3, 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 1, 245 X 5, 280 X 5, 315 X 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryGXO6A9XgU

Hypertrophy:
BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 10, 10

Grip:
Fat Gripz Rack Pullz 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 165 X 5, 175 X 5

A couple of points this morning. I was smoked from travel and last week. My legs were still super sore from my BS workout earlier in the week. When I got to the BS part of the workout I was supposed to do sets of 20. Well my wife came out to let me know that I had a small window of opportunity to get finished with everything I wanted to do this morning. I decided sets of 10 would be just fine!

I will not let Derek W. down, my abz will get worked out today!

Derek Simonds
02-08-2010, 06:53 AM
February 8 Monday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Strength:
Press 45 X 3, 3, 3, 65 X 3, 95 X 3, 105 X 3, 120 X 5

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 145 X 12 X 3

P/U's
10 Sets X 4 Reps across press and bench

Abz:
Planks 1:10 front, 35 X each side, 40 seconds rest X 3

Grip:
CoC Starter X 10, Trainer X 10, #1 X (R) 5, 4, 2 (L) 5, 3, 1

KB:
16 KG Press X 3 each arm X 6 sets (this is purely technique work to overcome my shoulder issues)

Overall my pressing is feeling better, just want it to go faster. Slow and steady will win this race. I am also right at 200 LB's and starting to feel a little sloppy. I know that I have to put on some fat to reach my goals but mentally it is almost beach weather here in Florida. In my brain my entire life I have fought not to be skinny fat. I really want to hit 210 before I stop. It's gonna take some focus and a tailor!

Derek Simonds
02-09-2010, 04:32 AM
February 9 Tuesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
DeFranco Agile 8

Strength:
BS 45 X 5, 5, 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 165 X 1, 195 X 3, 220 X 3, 245 X 3

Hypertrophy:
BS 95 X 10, 135 X 10 (BLEH)

Abz:
20 Plate OH S/U's 3 X 15

Grip:
Plate Curlz 10 LB'ers X 15 X 3

My wifes workout squad no showed this morning so I worked with her on a ton of the shoulder re-hab / pre-hab movements. She has been having upper back pain and wanted to get ahead of the curve.

I am having a hard time with finishing this squat cycle. I just ran out of time today and wasn't that motivated. This would be the first time in a while that I bailed on a plan in the middle. I will see how Saturday goes. I only have 3 more days of nuttiness... I can do it, repeat after me.

Tomorrow is quite possibly the most important meeting I have ever spoken at in my career. I am atypically anxious, probably for the above mentioned reason. Tracy gave me a fantastic massage last night and I slept like a rock so that is good. Now I need to finish the final bits of prep and get the presentation ingrained. I will be speaking for 4 hours in front of the entire executive team of Nissan and Infiniti. You wouldn't believe this but there are some people on that team that are easily distracted....

Allen Yeh
02-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Best of luck on the presentation.

You know you are done on a program when you start feeling like that. Almost done!

Gant Grimes
02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Good luck!

Kevin Perry
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Good luck man

Derek Weaver
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Good luck on the presentation. I'm sure you'll be fine.

R. Alan Hester
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Good luck!

Derek Simonds
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the "Good Luck" wishes. Based on participant feedback the presentation was a home run! I am getting ready to go to dinner with everyone and am looking forward to hearing additional feedback.

I got up early and hit a ton of band work, static stretching and some push ups. It was a nice burn of some energy.

I am looking forward to Bench and DL this week and some rest this weekend.

Derek Simonds
02-12-2010, 04:42 AM
February 12 Friday

Got home yesterday at a decent hour and was able to spend some quality time with Tracy and the kids. It was really nice just to be at home with no place to go.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Strength:
Bench 45 X 10, 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 155 X 3, 180 X 3, 200 X 5 (if that aint a PR it is damn close)
DB Row 65 X 8 X 4, 12

Hypertrophy:
Press 45 X 10, 65 X 10, 95 X 10 X 3 (That is a PR)
Chin Up 5 X 5

Grip:
Tore a very hard deck of cards perfectly straight across! It was 54 cards as I left in 2 jokers. Felt really good. No problem with the start of the tear, stalled at the end and had to switch grips to finish it but I will take it.

Tricep Finisher (from latest tmuscle article):
4 Med ball crossovers
4 close grip pushups on med ball
4 drop and pops on med ball
This was actually a lot harder than I planned on. I was going to do 3 sets but decided I am going to ease into this one.

KB and Abz:
16 KG KB Press 1 + 3 Windmills X 6 each side
Some crazy twist thingy where you hold a swiss ball in front of you and grab a band and rotate. 15 X each side X 2 (These were challenging after the windmills)

I thought I did something else but can't remember if I did. I am surprisingly smoked right now.

Derek Simonds
02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey guess what? I trained at my home BJJ academy today! First time all year. How depressing is that.

BJJ Fundamentals with Todd

I love classes with Todd. If he sees you have the technique, he will either give you additional coaching cues or add an additional move to it.

Takedowns, double and double with a trip. Did these solid for 20 minutes. Todd showed me how to transition from the trip into a knee bar. Wicked cool move as I already like the trip for a takedown.

Submission Kimura, make sure you get to 90 degrees and clench your elbows to your core.

Sweep: Kimura, played with hip placement and a couple of cool follow ups. Todd showed us how to move from Kimura to guillotine and then to a grab under the armpit which ultimately either becomes a neck crank in no-gi or a sweep to mount in gi. Unreal transition and I was getting the guillotine consistently.

Little details that is what this is all about.

Derek Simonds
02-13-2010, 05:47 AM
February 13 Saturday

D W/U
Agile 8
B W/U

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 4

Strength:
DL 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 255 X 3, 300 X 3, 335 X 3, 1

Grip:
Tore a hard deck with 56 cards. It is on video but was one of my worst tears. I got stuck in the middle and had to switch grips. It is a work in progress.

Abz:
Ab Roller 8 X 3

My grip is definitely getting much stronger. I did double overhand with Gant's modified hook grip all the way up to 335. I did the first rep DO then switched to alternating for next 2. I did one more rep with 335 DO for video as my son wanted to film it. We shot a bunch of video of him playing around on the mushroom during the same workout. Really a good workout with the whole family in the garage this morning. No time as we are now off to cheer-leading.

Derek Weaver
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Sounds like things are running good for you. Training looks great. Sounds like the family is well.

What's the mushroom?

Derek Simonds
02-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Sounds like things are running good for you. Training looks great. Sounds like the family is well.

What's the mushroom?

It's a gymnastics trainer for the pommel horse. They train on it to learn how to do circles on the pommel. I bought one for Jr 2 years ago and he plays on it while I work out quite often. He set the record in his gym last week with 41 circles in a row without stopping. Circles are ridiculously hard by the way. I got one, once, sort of.

Derek Simonds
02-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a couple of friends that don't have facebook and watch my log so I wanted to post a couple of random things in here for them.

Here are the boys getting ready for the annual Krewe ball

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wei49x.jpg

Tracy and me getting ready to go. She says that this is her sexy look...

http://i45.tinypic.com/2evepzs.jpg

At some point in the night I decided it would be a good idea to ride the mounted zebra.

http://i49.tinypic.com/14t1mqv.jpg

And lastly here is a video from around New Years of me cutting the top off a bottle of champagne with a sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nFSZxW-hI

Derek Simonds
02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
February 15 Monday

Montreal thankfully is in the middle of a warm stretch. Pretty interesting city. I walked around downtown and enjoyed it immensely. I do enjoy being in a city from time to time.

D W/U
Band Work

Strength:
Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 100 X 5, 115 X 3, 125 X 3 (That has to be a PR!)
P/U 5 X 5
More Band Work

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 150 X 10 X 3 (these were the crappiest benches I have ever used, and oh by the way they were brand new, worst design ever)
DB Row 65 X 10 X 5

Grip:
Forearm Flexion X 15 X 4 (Varying weights on an arm wrestling trainer I think)

Tricep Pressdown X 12 X 3
Bicep Rope Curl X 12 X 3

Abz:
Planks 1:20 X 3
Diesel Face Pulls X 15 X 3

I am going to search my log to see if that press was a PR, man it felt good even though I forgot my belt. Funny how 45 days ago I felt weird lifting with a belt now I don't want to without it. Very happy with todays lifts even on the crappy benches. They were really padded, super narrow, short and had an awkward rack but other than that they were perfect...

Going to be a busy week. Planning on lifting Wed and Thurs but really don't want to do my 5/3/1 on these benches and definitely don't want to DL before my flight home. Might have to find a different gym.

Derek Weaver
02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Nice work. My Dad works for a Montreal based company and really enjoys the city. What part of town are you staying in?

Derek Simonds
02-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Nice work. My Dad works for a Montreal based company and really enjoys the city. What part of town are you staying in?

Centre-ville. In between St Laurent and McGill College. I have walked all over the place. More so than any other city I have ever stayed in.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2010, 04:32 AM
17 February Wednesday

Walk to the gym in light snow probably about 1 KM
Agile 6 (no foam roller)

Strength:
BS 45 X 6, 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 3, 210 X 5, 235 X 3, 265 X 1, 315 X F (man I had it right up to the moment where it pinned me to the rack!)

Hypertrophy:
GM's 45 X 12, 95 X 12 X 3
Band Low Pulls X 20 X 3
Band Pull Aparts X 20 X 3

Grip:
20 LB BB Wrist Extension X 20 X 3
55 LB BB Crush X 20 X 3

Abz:
Hanging Knees to Elbows X 6, 5, 5

When I said I forgot my belt on Monday I meant I forgot it in FL. I asked to borrow one at the gym and they didn't have one. All the weights felt great on the BS and I decided what the hell put 315 on. I felt solid but just had nothing at the bottom. Oh well it was fun.

As I was stripping the bar to set back up in the squat rack This guy walks up starts loading the bar and does a set of 1/4 squats with 185. Literally I was standing there with my crap draped all over the rack with my mouth open like WTF? So he gets done I grab my stuff and move over to the next squat rack which was empty. The dude was seriously clueless.

Walked back to hotel in the snow for a true cool down.

Derek Simonds
02-18-2010, 04:40 AM
February 18 Thursday

D W/U

2 Circuits of
15 X 3 LB DB Cuban Press
15 X 25 LB Plate Halos (each way)
15 X Red Band Diagonal Raise
15 second shoulder stretch

Strength:
Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 165 X 5, 190 X 3, 210 X 2 (On a crappy bench I will take it, especially since it felt great!)
DB Row 65 X 12, 12, 12, 15

Grip:
Tore a deck of Bicycles with the jokers(that is a major PR!) It took me two times to do it and I got stuck at the end a little but I got it.
10 LB Plate Curls X 12 X 4

Hypertrophy:
Press 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 10, 9
Wide Grip P/U 4 X 5
Rope Cable Curlz X 15, 15
Rope Press Downs X 12 X 2

Abz:
Cable Crunches X 16 X 2 (I used so much weight it was pulling me off the ground and I didn't even feel it, I must have been doing something wrong)

I couldn't figure out how to switch up the order of the workouts without being miserable on the plane so bench it was. I got a spot by miming what I needed and had no trouble with the lifts at all. The hypertrophy has really helped.

The Canadians I am up here working with think I am crazy with the amount of food I eat. Last night I ordered the pasta dish they suggested with an extra chicken breast on top. They just started laughing and were like you Americans are all like Michael Phelps and eat 10K calories a meal. I just laughed.

Derek Weaver
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Cable crnches can be awkward. You may want to try the standing version from the Neanderthal No More Part 4. http://www.tmuscle.com/img/photos/04-016-training/image062.jpg http://www.tmuscle.com/img/photos/04-016-training/image064.jpg if you wind up with a cable station anytime soon.

Nice job on the eating. And the deck of cards. And the bench.

Derek Simonds
02-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks next time I will try it like that. I did basically the same thing just from kneeling.

February 20 Saturday

D W/U
Agile 5 (I was so tired I forgot 3 of the exercises)
B W/U

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 3, 3, 280 X 5, 315 X 3 355 X F (Picked it up just couldn't stand up with it)

Ab Wheel 8 X 4
45 LB BB Curl 12 X N, UD, W, R

I am absolutely smoked, got home late as hell, got up too early and tried to fit the workout in before heading off with the kids. Probably not a good idea but I tried. Oh well this cycle is over!

Derek Simonds
02-21-2010, 07:14 AM
February 21 Sunday

Agile 8
D W/U

TGU + RKC Armbar 16 KG X 6 each side

TGU 24 KG X 2 each side, 28 KG X 1 each side, JR @ 74.2 LB's X 1 each side

Bottoms Up Presses 16 KG X a bunch of singles

Press + Windmill 24 KG X a bunch of singles

Muscle Up Pull Throughs X 3 , 3, 2, 1, 1

For Lent I gave up not working out every day. For the rest of Lent I am going to do mobility, KB's (technique), yoga or some LSD every day that I am not weightlifting.

Allen Yeh
02-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Wait so for Lent you won't be working out everyday or you will be?

Derek Simonds
02-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Wait so for Lent you won't be working out everyday or you will be?

He he. I gave up NOT working out ever day. For Lent I am going to do something every day, mobility, yoga, run or row. Something like that just so that I am moving all the time. Nothing that will impact my main lifts though.

February 22 Monday Recovery Week!

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 65 X 5, 80 X 5
P/U 3 X 4

Off on a crazy in an out trip to Seattle and Albuquerque.

Derek Weaver
02-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Wow, Seattle in February. I hope you're taking an umbrella. Nice choice for lent by the way.

Derek Simonds
02-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Seattle was gorgeous yesterday. I mean postcard beautiful.

Tuesday February 23

D W/U

3 Sets of each of these groupings

Low pulls
Internal rotation
Card tear iso's

Band pull aparts
External rotation

Push up plus + outside the arm mountain climbers
Straight leg S/U + toe touch stretch

I really liked the push up plus + mountain climbers it flowed really well. Off to meetings and another day of travel.

Derek Simonds
02-24-2010, 07:47 AM
February 24 Wednesday

D W/U

Lots of lacrosse ball trigger point therapy (muy sore from car wreck yesterday)

Stretching

Treadmill 20 minutes with 3, 2 minute runs at 6, 6.1, 6.2 mph.

What an F'ed up day yesterday was. Started with a hit and run at 8:21 (me being the hitee), people I was trying to close were late, missed my flight, and finally made it to Albuquerque at about 10:00 local time. Woof. Makes for a long day.

Hey my calves are sore just from that little bit of running already. I am running in my frees and plan on building into it so I don't get massive problems.

Another city another sales pitch and off to Wichita, wash, rinse and repeat!

Allen Yeh
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
You ok?

Derek Weaver
02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Whoa on the car wreck. I hope all is well. May want to see a chiro for any lingering whiplash.

Derek Simonds
02-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for asking. I am ok. The main soreness was my lower back. I was hit from the side and was leaning forward when it happened. I will be a-ok tomorrow though I know it!

Derek Weaver
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Good to hear you're alright. No chance at catching the other driver?

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Good to hear you're alright. No chance at catching the other driver?

One of the witnesses was a LT in the Air Force and he got his plate number. The cop was totally non committal about going after him. I was kind of irritated over it actually. The cop told me that they get 3 - 5 runners a day in Tacoma. That just seems crazy to me. I guess since there was no one injured it is probably lower on the priority list.

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 06:23 AM
February 25 Thursday

Stretching

15 minutes of band work

Presses
Dislocates
Tricep extension
Bicep curls
Rotation

Gant Grimes
02-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Glad you're on the mend.

Allen Yeh
02-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Next time you do band work try out the 60/30 method for the curls and the extensions. Crazy pump.

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 06:43 AM
February 26 Friday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Low Pulls X 20 X 3
Stability Ball Y's X 1 LB X 12 X 3

Sleeper Stretch X 10 seconds X 3
Stability Ball P's X 1 LB X 12 X 3

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5, 135 X 5
DB Row 50 X 10, 8, 8

B W/U
HPC X 45 X 5 X 3

DL 135 x 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5

Muscle Up Rows X 3 X 3

Tore a deck of Bikes with 55 cards in less than 1 song. Completely and totally surprised by this as it was a huge PR!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2h7jsph.jpg

20 LB Med Ball throw + twist + s/u X 20, 15

Done and done. My workout partner has totally fallen off the wagon. I got him to work out this morning and he benched than did 20 minutes on the rower with tabata set in the middle. I am going to put him on a OLAD program plus some met-con / cardio for the next couple of months and see if we can deal with his body comp issues.

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Next time you do band work try out the 60/30 method for the curls and the extensions. Crazy pump.

Is that where you do the 60 reps in 30 seconds or AMRAP in 60 rest 30 do it all over again?

Allen Yeh
02-26-2010, 06:45 AM
I sympathize with your workout partner I'm trying to get back on the wagon myself.

Allen Yeh
02-26-2010, 06:46 AM
60 reps in 30 seconds and then rest I think 1-2 minutes?

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Funny I just got this in my email...

Well it is official, I have no self control. With Derek being out of town the last couple of weeks and spending a couple of weekends away with the Bís and I slipped into a spiral of eating, drinking, and not working out. Derek, you called last night and I was scrambling to figure a way out of the looming question about training this morning. However, I needed to go, I went, and I feel great. I am glad to be back on target.

Now we know I am not going to quit hanging out with the Bís, and probably not quit drinking either. So that leaves eating and training. I will get better about training and try a little harder on the eating. Derek, I like the program for me this morning where I do a lift and then a higher intensity cardio session.

I have 8 weeks till my birthday, that gives me plenty of time to get back to being the Jolly Chubby Friend, as opposed to the Jolly Fat Friend. So I throw down a challenge to everyone to set a goal to be met by my Birthday, after which we can celebrate (goal achieved or not), by taking part in fine food and libations at a place to be determined later.

It is time to get back on track people, Polka Dot Bikini season is fast approaching, and we have to be ahead of the curve so we can eat and drink through the season.

I look forward to hearing everyoneís goals.

Derek Simonds
02-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Feb 27 Saturday

D W/U
Tons of stretching
Tons of lacrosse ball work

I did that push up challenge from T-Nation where you stand up do 1 stand up do 2 except I added mountain climbers and did 3 sets up to 5

Finished with some band work and a few more sets of regular push ups.

Feb 28 Sunday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Today was all about the KB. I didn't count reps as much as just felt my way through what I was doing. It was all about doing absolutely perfect form. I feel like my KB work has improved so much from training with David that 1 time.

2 hand swings X a ton of reps X 2 sets
1 hand swings X 10 X 2 each hand

Clean + Press + Windmill X 3 each side X 3

Bottoms up press X 1's each side X 3 or 4

Clean + Press 24 KG X 1's X 3 or 4

Deep ring dips (practice for muscle up) X 1 X 5

The entire time I was working out Jr practiced his mushroom bonus and worked on his muscle up. He is so close to having a dead hang muscle up it is silly. He is stalling right at the transition. If he could kip he would have it easily but he wants to do it with no kip. I was surprised though that he is fairly weak in ring dips so we practiced that together.

Laney worked on her beam and showed me a couple of new skills she is working on. Her coach wants her to compete level 4 next year and she is just beaming about that.

Good times with the family. Off to church and lunch at our favorite BBQ place.

Go Team USA Hockey!

Derek Weaver
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Nice start to a Sunday. Your kids are rad.

Derek Simonds
03-01-2010, 04:26 AM
March 1 Monday

D W/U
Agile 6
EC Foam Rolling

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 150 X 5, 5
Press 45 X 5, 70 X 5, 90 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 5
P/U 4 X 4

Rack Pull 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 325 X 5, 375 X 3, 2

DB Floor Press 45 X 12, 50 X 12 X 3
P/U 4 X 4
BB Crush 45 X 20, 55 X 20 X 3

Band Pull Apart 30 X 3

Planks 60 Seconds X 3

Holee Crap the FS's were much harder than I thought they were going to be. Kudos to you Derek W. I was going to do 170 X 5 on my last set but decided to stick with the 150 for now. I am already sore in my lower back and it has to be from the FS. This is going to be fun adding these in. I did the floor press to see how I am coming and next week they are back out for bench.

Derek Simonds
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
March 1st Monday Night

BJJ Fundamentals with Fabio. Well I learned that warmup takes on an entirely different meaning when you weigh in at 210! I wasn't winded but dang it was different. I could definitely feel a strength difference also that was pleasant when we were on the ground.

Good times all around!

Derek Weaver
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Holy crap. 210. Mass gain success I'd say.

Gant Grimes
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Well I learned that warmup takes on an entirely different meaning when you weigh in at 210!

See, I wasn't sandbagging!

When are the Pan-Ams and what weight will you fight at?

Derek Simonds
03-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Holy crap. 210. Mass gain success I'd say.

210 was with the gi on so I am right around 203 to 204. I am still trying to put on a little more weight.

Gant I have to decide if I am going to fight Medium Heavy at 194.5 in the gi or Heavy at 207.5 in the gi. I really don't want to cut to 189 ish to make med heavy so it looks like I am going to keep adding weight and strength so that 207.5 is a good natural weight. Could be problematic if someone cuts a lot but IBJJ rules are you weigh in before your first fight and then step on the mat. That changes things a lot since big guys cant lose 20 lb's and weigh in the night before.

Pan Ams are first week of April and I am unfortunately not ready for a couple of reasons but mainly because work is so busy I can't take the time. That is OK though Worlds are June 3 thru 6 in CA and International Masters is July 22 thru 25 in Rio.

I am planning on competing at Worlds in June. I have the FL state championships in May and I am trying to figure out one or two more before then. Lots of stuff going on with work (make hay while the sun shines!) so tourneys are kind of taking a back seat.

Derek Simonds
03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
March 2 Tuesday Evening

You ready for this.... I went for a run. Yep 30 minutes, 5 warm up, 5 cool down and 5 2 minute intervals with 2 minutes of recovery. Nothing major and really didn't even break a sweat in this cool weather we are having. Still it feels good to be running again and my toe didn't bother me. Look for this to steadily increase along with some rowing on Thursdays.

Derek Simonds
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
March 3 Wednesday

D W/U
RKC Armbars X 3 each side X 30 seconds

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 150 X 5, 170 X 5. 195 X 6 (PR)
DB Rows 65 LB's X 12, 12, 12, 15

Press 45 X 11, 70 X 11, 95 X 11, 9, 7
Chin Ups 5 X 4

Face Pulls X 20 X 4
BB Flexion 45 X 20 X 4
BB Extension 16 X 20 X 4
KB Windmills 16 KG X 5 each side X 4

Man I don't know where this morning went! I was plugging along and all of sudden it was almost 7 and I had to get the kids up. The last 4 items were done circuit fashion and in a hurry. The bench felt really solid today. I need to push a little harder on the last rep for everything. I should have done 7 reps for sure.

I weighed in naked this morning to get a true number and I am at 204.6. Not too shabby.

I am not sure that I like this 3 days a week schedule right now. I am going to play with it a little more and see how it fits.

March 3 Evening

BJJ

Trained Armbar, Triangle and Omoplata for 1 hour with Rich before class. Man I love working this combo except for Omoplata. I definitely use this as my go to attack after collar choke from guard.

Fundamentals hey we did the same thing from Monday night go figure...

Derek Simonds
03-04-2010, 07:52 AM
March 4 Thursday

D W/U (meaning a whole lot of arm swinging and feet stamping trying to get warm)
EC Foam Rolling
Lots of stretching while talking with my wife

Red Band Internal Rotation X 15 X 3
Red Band External Rotation X 15 X 3

Row 2000 Meters 8:17 and then I decided to give it hell for 500 Meters and rowed that in 1:45. What in the hell was I thinking with the weather as cold as it is right now. My lungs were / are screaming. There is something about the rower that makes it hard for me to be moderate. I mean I get on with the goal of just a nice easy 2000 and next thing you know BAM I am going for a hard 500. Goofy I tell you Goofy!

10 LB Plate Curls X 15 X 3
10 LB Plate Halos X 10 each way X 2
10 LB Plate Full Front Raise X 10 X 2
10 LB Plate Truck Drivers X 10 each way X 2

My shoulders are smoked. Completely. So stopped with other stuff after round 2.

1 hand pinch 2 10 lb plates X 10 seconds X 5, 5 each hand
2 hand pinch 2 45 lb plates X 3 lifts 1 with a 5 second hold

Grippers but wasn't feeling it so bagged them for today.

Derek Weaver
03-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I've had a ton of free time since I've been home recovering and came across a few good articles that may be of interest to you with your BJJ and MMA stuff.

Predictor lifts for grapplers: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/predictor_lifts.htm (he doesn't really explain why, but still a little interesting)

Metabolic Power Training for MMA: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/metabolic_power_training.htm (cool stuff by Cosgrove + a cool picture of Pedro Rizzo kicking Jeff Monson in the head)

Good Stuff on Explosive Power by Joel Jamieson http://www.elitefts.com/documents/explosive_power_mma.htm

Derek Simonds
03-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks Derek those look very cool. I will review those today while trying to get my customers on the phone.

Derek Simonds
03-05-2010, 06:21 AM
March 5

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Some Diesel Crew lower body stuff
Agile 4
Ankles

B W/U
PC&J 45 X 3, 95 X 3 X 4

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 230 X 5, 265 X 5, 300 X 8

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 205 X 5

AB Wheel 10 X 2

My wife started talking to me while I was at the top of lift 6 and was asking questions through 7 and into 8. I answered her as I sat down and 8 and couldn't pick up 9 as I was laughing too hard. I don't think she has ever really done a set of heavy DL's and doesn't understand what is going on in your head while you do them. Her and her girls talk the entire time they are training. I mean non stop. So why wouldn't I talk during my sets.

I had a break through on the belt today. What is happening is with the belt on I can tell when my form is really breaking down and I stop. Without the belt if my form gets silly I would have just kept going and been extremely sore the next day. Mostly this was from rounding the lower back trying to grind out one more rep. I don't do this at all with the belt.

I wore my rehband knee sleeves for the entire workout for the first time in a year. My knees were so happy. I wish I had been wearing them for the last 6 weeks when I was squatting my brains out.

Pretty darn pleased with today even though I was shooting for 10 reps minimum on DL.

I went to gymnastics practice last night with Jr and he was nailing his core elements. He was really pleased but extremely tired. I told him that tonight no way around it he needed to get to bed early and be ready for Saturday. Additionally he told his Coach that he wants to go to Regionals. Obviously he is going to need to score good enough to get invited but the big thing is that he is thinking that way. I was so afraid that he was going to be done with gymnastics this year and he really is getting into it more. We shall see what happens.

After the meet we are have a campsite reserved in the middle of Mosquito Lagoon. The only way to get there is by boat. It should be a blast except it is supposed to get down to 40 overnight. That is a little chilly for tent camping by FL boy standards.

Derek Simonds
03-05-2010, 05:55 PM
March 5 Friday (Noon)

BJJ Fundamentals with Todd. Great class and I received a stripe on my blue belt from Todd today. That was completely unexpected. Todd has a totally different style of instruction than Fabio and it is fun to see the curriculum delivered differently.

(PM)

Trained for 1:15 minutes with Rich, worked escape from side control, half guard, butterfly positioning, and a few random armbars. Lots of fun and I am so happy to be home and training.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2010, 04:36 AM
March 8 Monday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Some DeFranco and Diesel Crew lower body W/U

Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 5 (Major PR!) Heaven forbid that Shaf looks in here and tells me how shitty it is that I am posting that weight to my log.:D
FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 145 X 3, 160 X 6
P/U 5 X 5 (I need to start doing more than 25 at a time)

Sumo DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 235 X 5 X 3
Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 135 X 10, 155 X 10 X 2

I did both sets circuit style. Everything felt good except I am really weak in the FS right now. This next cycle should take care of that though. It was quite pleasant in the garage this morning. That might be because it was so cold tent camping on an island in Mosquito lagoon this weekend. Seriously that was chilly but we still had a great time.

Allen Yeh
03-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Nice PR, how did Jr's meet go?

Derek Weaver
03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah, how'd the meet go?

On the Front Squat, you may be able to progress linearly for a little bit to push the weights up.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Crap I have been meaning to post earlier with an update. Jr qualified for the Regional Championship in Chattanooga TN April 9th and 10th! He is extremely excited by this. Now the meet didn't go exactly the way he wanted it to but he made some improvements. All that matters is that he is going to Regionals and is focused.

Derek Simonds
03-09-2010, 04:57 AM
March 9 Tuesday

D W/U

BB Crush 45 X 20, 55 X 20, 20
BB Flexion 45 X 20, 55 X 20, 20
BB Extension 11 X 20, 16 X 20, 20

BB Twist 25 X 3
Plate Curls 10 X 12, 12.5 X 12 X 3

Low Band Pulls 30 X 2
1 Arm High Rotation 15 X 2

Got a really sick little girl right now. 102 fever all night long and on the way to the doctor with a really sore neck, swollen lymph nodes an a headache. Very worrisome. I worked out after checking on her and putting her in bed with her mom.

Allen Yeh
03-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Man getting sick seems to be running around this winter! Hunter ended up catching whatever I had so he's been pretty miserable the last 2 days. Congrats to Jr. that is great news!

Derek Simonds
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Yep pretty exciting for Jr. Laney has a double ear infection. Which is a double yuck for real!

Derek Weaver
03-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Indeed. Congrats to Jr. on the meet and going to regionals.

I hope your daughter feels better soon. Double ear infections are horrible. It's not like a single ear infection is much worse...