PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

Derek Simonds
03-10-2010, 07:01 AM
I got home last night and found someone getting some extra practice in the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM3FPhOtBj0

Laney is still a train wreck. She is 3 doses of antibiotics in and her lymph node on the right side of her neck is so inflamed that it is visible when looking at her. She is miserable. She woke up at 5:30 we got her some Motrin and at 6:30 she still had a 101 degree fever. Not a normal morning at all for me.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Diesel Crew Shoulder Routine from earlier this week
Seated scarecrows, lying posterior flyes, push up plus from your knees and chest & shoulder stretch. This was a good warm up circuit. I wasn't getting as much out of the stretch as I thought I would but liked it anyway.

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 160 X 3, 180 X 3, 205 X 5 (BooYeah That is a PR) I even slid a little sideways off the bench on the last rep.
DB Row 50 X 12, 65 X 12, 12, 17

Press 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 95 X 10

And that was all she wrote. Laney needed me throughout the workout so I bagged it and went it and took care of her. I am glad that I was at home so I could be there for her.

Allen Yeh
03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Nice PR!

Derek Simonds
03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
March 10 Wednesday PM

Trained 1 hour with Rich on
Guard pass and Sweep
Side Control and Escape
Got done training with Rich and my lower back just started locking up on me like now! Ouch, ouch, ouch.

BJJ Fundamentals Headlock self defense, Spider guard sweep, knee on belly to mount and keylock. I worked with a college kid who stunk, was absolutely skinny and had breath that smelled like ass. Other than that he was a really nice guy...

I can remember being a broke ass college kid but don't ever remember not doing laundry or brushing my teeth! Kind of funny. I asked Fabio if he thought I could touch my knee to the mat while doing knee on belly. Fabio found that really funny. I think the kid was afraid I would actually try. I didn't. I even went easy on him and kept my weight mainly off of him.

I will call him Stinky from now on.

I started icing as soon as I left and am having a beer to tide me over.

Derek Simonds
03-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Long night. Laney's fever went as high as 104.8. That is a real yikes moment. I spoke with her doctor and he told us as long as she could move her neck up and down and didn't break out in a rash that looked like a bruise we could come in this morning. This morning her temp after Motrin is down to 100. I am waiting on the doctors office to open so we can get her back in.

Sucks when you can't make your little one feel any better.

Allen Yeh
03-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Yikes! Hope the doctor is able to help.

Derek Simonds
03-12-2010, 02:35 AM
March 11 Thursday (AM)

I worked out for 30 minutes. Doing stuff. Don't remember what but stuff.

Laney's fever is down into the 101 range. What a trip this has been. She has a viral throat infection on top of the double ear infection.

March 11 Thursday (PM)

MMA there was only one other guy there. He has been training for a week. Fabio had me just play around with the guy as he couldn't even go for 2 minutes during warm ups.

Basically the dude got a private with Fabio for free with me as his tackling dummy.

Derek Simonds
03-12-2010, 08:01 AM
March 12 Friday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 8
B W/U

PC&J 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 105 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 1 (I noticed I was shorting my jerk by not driving deep enough into the split, basically I was only driving in enough to catch the weight at lockout)

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 245 X 3, 280 X 3, 315 X 3

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 2
Rolling Thunder DL 50 X 8, 75 X 5, 85 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5R 3L

My lower back is super sore today. That kind of achy soreness. I didn't want to push any harder than what I had to get done. I think I am pretty close to exhausted. With all the addtiional stressors this week and knowing that I haven't ate as much as I needed I am looking forward to this weekend for some recovery!

Derek Weaver
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Laney's fever is down into the 101 range. What a trip this has been. She has a viral throat infection on top of the double ear infection.

March 11 Thursday (PM)

MMA there was only one other guy there. He has been training for a week. Fabio had me just play around with the guy as he couldn't even go for 2 minutes during warm ups.

Basically the dude got a private with Fabio for free with me as his tackling dummy.

Geez, sounds like your little girl's got it pretty rough. It's good her fever is down a bit 104 + is pretty scary.

Hopefully she'll turn the corner quickly and get back to being a kid.

Derek Simonds
03-13-2010, 05:29 AM
March 12 Friday (PM)

Derek she is now not running a fever and actually talking. I told her several times last night how worried I have been. She told me that she wants to go to BJJ today but she is just going to wear her gi and not work out. I told her that would be just fine!

Trained with Rich for an hour. continued with side control and escapes and then transitioned to KOB and mount. It is much harder to hold control when you are not attacking me thinks.

BJJ All levels. We got back to some old school transitional drills which I love. So many of our guys can only think one direction at a time and these really change it up. Played with the standing guard pass to KOB and once everyone was at least getting by we went to the spin around move and then to KOB switches. Great class.

Derek Simonds
03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Saturday March 13

EC Foam Rolling
D W/U

Plate Halos 25 LB X 10 each way X 3

Low Black Band Pulls X 20 X 3
Black Band Pull Aparts X 20 X 3

Internal Rotation Yellow X 15 X 3
External Rotation Yellow X 15 X 3

KB Swings 16 KG X 25 X 4

Derek Jr was practicing and he is so close on his muscle up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simplesimonds#p/a/u/0/k_ypSBL8lsw

He also continued to get in practice on his mushroom.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simplesimonds#p/a/u/1/G2H3fpSD1Tg

Got some breakfast and headed off to BJJ

All Levels: We continued the movement drills from yesterday and we were a rocking. Worked all the same ones plus a spin sit to mount that is awesome. After the movement drills we paired it with the armbar from KOB defense and then worked a baseball choke. I was having problems with the baseball choke for some reason. I do them all the time in no gi but grabbing the gi just gets me wrapped around the axle.

Grappled a couple of rounds afterwards and had a great time. Went one hard round with a really strong green belt who was super aggressive and then told him to go about 50 percent and just work on movements. I showed him how he kept setting himself up for submissions when he was pressing so hard.

Grappled with my buddy Mark by letting him start from KOB and he dang near snapped my head off with the baseball choke we were working. I was able to defend enough to sweep him and get mount. Loads of fun. I have really enjoyed the positional work I have done all week. It is a keeper. :cool:

Best of all Laney wanted to go to BJJ and she had a great time as well. No Jits for her but she did get in some gymnastics practice while we were there. I think she is feeling better! She says yes as she is sitting in my lap while I am typing this!

Derek Weaver
03-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Good to hear your daughter is feeling better. Your son is fully legit on that mushroom. Big time potential.

Derek Simonds
03-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Sunday March 14

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Household chores for time! Not that anyone needs to know this but I picked up 3 full plastic grocery bags of dog crap in the back yard yesterday. I also weeded the yard while picking up crap. I am kind of perturbed I pay tru-green to spray for weeds once a quarter and I am thinking that the dude is only doing the front yard...

Monday March 15

This is my 5/3/1 week and last night I felt like I was crashing into it.

D W/U
10 minutes walking / jogging
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 3, 130 X 3 (Freaking Huge PR!)
P/U 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

Bench 45 X 10, 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 165 X 10
DB Rows 50 X12, 65 X 12, 12, 20

BB Flexion 45, 55, 60, 65 all X 20
BB Crush 45, 55, 60, 65 all X 20
BB Extension 11 X 20, 21 X 20 X 3

I was 3/4 of the way up on the 4th rep and I just let my air out and racked it. I was so happy with 3 that I didn't even fight it on the 4th. I have not ever made 130 X 1 in a work set before, only in a PR attempt. Hell in December I missed 130! I am so excited to keep on progressing in the press. Apparently I needed more me and more hypertrophy.

Yesterday I did a little custom work on the bench. I took the side grinder to it and removed some extraneous bs that was sticking out and I made a block that goes under the back of the bench to keep it from moving. It is an adjustable and it just wasn't solid in the flat position. All fixed. I also put my mountain bike on the indoor trainer for some LSD. Now I can row one day and ride one day.

I just saw that my log was over 50,000 views.

Allen Yeh
03-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Nice PR. I'm eyeing that push press thing that Don was talking about...The most I've ever jerked was....250 something, now I don't know what I'm at.

Derek Simonds
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I read that today. Very interesting.

Monday March 15 (PM)

Trained with Rich for 45 minutes. Worked the Americana defense in this months Gracie Insider. That is a solid technique for defending the Americana. Also worked some spider guard positions and sweeps.

Fundamentals worked guillotine and defense, side control to mount and basic armbar from mount.

Derek Weaver
03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Your log is popular Derek. Nice PR on the press.

Allen Yeh
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Geez me and Steven are fighting it out for 3rd, while Gant is def a bit ahead of Derek.

Kevin Perry
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Good job on the press, and your log popularity

Derek Simonds
03-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Good job on the press, and your log popularity

Gant's log wins hands down. Thanks on the press. I have been really focused on it. I spoke with a friend last night and we were talking about all the shoulder / scapula rehab / prehab stuff I have been doing and it has really paid dividends. I had a break through when I trained with David Whitley in TN as he helped me understand how to press without moving my scapulas and I know for a fact Gant's suggestion of one day a week hypertrophy added to the mix has made all the difference in the world. Reading Glenn's response this morning in the Push Press thread just reinforces it. Last week was the first week I added in Jerks and plan on keeping them as well.

Ultimately I am still weak as circus lemonade in the overhead pressing department, but you know what I can see light ahead. My goal right now is a BW press. When I get there I will reevaluate what I am after.

Allen I think I started my log here in March of 2007, you started about the same time I think. We certainly have been consistent.

Derek Simonds
03-16-2010, 06:30 AM
March 16th Tuesday

Walk and Jog 10 minutes
D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 8

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 150 X 3, 170 X 6 (lost my form on the 6th rep, not a leg issue but torso is weak)

Sumo DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 255 X 5, 275 X 3, 300 X 3, 325 X 1

1 Hand Pinch 2 10's X 30 seconds X 3, 2 Hand Pinch 2 25's X 10 seconds X 10

Sumo DL'ing is very interesting. I am playing with it trying to find out where I am. The 325 was like butter. Next cycle I am going to pick a top weight probably start at 315 and do 5's at 315, 325, 335 and see how it goes. I need to watch some videos but it feels like my hands get in the way at the top. That was the only thing that felt off.

Craig Brown
03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I had a break through when I trained with David Whitley in TN as he helped me understand how to press without moving my scapulas and I know for a fact Gant's suggestion of one day a week hypertrophy added to the mix has made all the difference in the world.

Derek, can you explain what Dave showed you? I think I have issues with this as well.... Thanks-

Craig

Derek Simonds
03-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Derek, can you explain what Dave showed you? I think I have issues with this as well.... Thanks-

Craig

I think I can explain it. RKC guys say to put your scapulas in your back pocket. I think that might be a Pavel quote. David kept telling me that and it wasn't the first time I had heard something along those lines. I can remember talking with Garrett and Greg about it years ago.

My problem was that I would actually move my scapulas when I would press. Doing that means that I didn't have a stable platform and it was putting all kinds of weird stress on my GH joint. The best way to explain it would be that as I would press the weight over head I would actually shrug my shoulders up to get to what was full extension for me. Man as I have learned more about the shoulder I realize just how screwed up that is.

If you think that this is happening you can check it by watching yourself in a mirror or have someone else observe. If your shoulders rise during the lift you are doing it wrong.

Ok so how did we fix it? I was doing a bottoms up press with a 16 KG KB. In doing that I had to do two things one is to find vertical for the pressing arm and two I had to keep my scapulas completely depressed and retracted. It bugs the crap out of me that I have known this all these years but it has never clicked until that moment. Part of the reason a BUP worked for this so well is that if you get off center even a little bit it becomes much more difficult to hold.

Here is one other thing we did just to emphasize the feeling. Once I had done several BUP's I got down in a pushup position on my knuckles. From there I retracted my scapulas and squeezed them down as tight as possible. Once I had everything locked in place David had me lift my right arm off the ground. My left side was the side I was having all the trouble with. Once I lifted my arm off the ground he said remember this feeling, that is a packed shoulder and that is what you are after before you press.

So now before I press I take a big breath, actively squeeze my entire upper back while rolling my scapulas down and in and I take the weight. It is weird but I definitely am telling myself to squeeze down with my back while pressing up with the weight.

I hope this helps and I will answer any question you have and share some of my prehab / rehab stuff if you need it.

Derek Simonds
03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
March 19 Friday

D W/U
Walk the dogs 10 minutes
EC Foam Rolling

Cuban Press 12 X 2 3 LB, 5 LB
Low Band Pulls 20 X 2
RKC Armbars
Push Up Plus from Knees 12 X 2

Bench 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5, 195 X 3, 215 X 5 (HUGE FREAKING PR!)
DB Row with Fat Gripz (from now on will be referred to as DBRFG) 50 X 10, 12, 14, 16, 20

Power Curl 45 X 10, 95 X 7, 7
Press 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 11

Last two days were just ridiculous. Up at 3:30 AM on Wednesday morning, fly to Bangor ME meet with clients, fly to Nashville crash at 10:30 sleep through 30 minutes of wake up calls, haul ass to airport to pick up my boss. meet all day in Nashville, get to airport fly home and get in my own bed about 11:30 last night. I wasn't even sure I would wake up in time to work out this morning. I was however excited about hitting a big PR today so I was down stairs at 6:30 warming up.

The bench just felt good today. Tracy was spotting me and she said there is no way I can pull this off you if you lose it. I told her it would be ok. I set up and the weight just went up no problem. Last rep I was lifting my arse off the bench just a little. I do not think I have ever benched 215 for more than 1 rep.

On the DB rows I had kind of an epiphany. I was looking at the fat gripz and said why am I not using these when I row. DUH! So that will be a regular part of my workout from now on.

Next cycle I am going to 100 LB's for the press hypertrophy. One more day and then so much needed rest!

Craig Brown
03-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks! I will play with that info...I think I was shruging to finish as well. Video time tonight.

Craig

Derek Simonds
03-19-2010, 12:33 PM
March 19 Friday Noon

BJJ Competition Class

Comp class turned into open mat. One of our purple belts has a fight April 3rd and then heads to Abu Dhabi right after. He was training hard today.

I rolled with a wide variety of guys. I worked several different combos. Mostly today was about setting up attacks. I played KOB to armbar with every guy I rolled with. Worked very well for me. I also did the Americana to armbar when they grab their own arm and try and roll back to stop the Americana. That was freaking stellar. I got that on 2 big guys who I would never try to submit with an Americana. They both bit instantly. I smiled during these matches. I did get an inside armlock where I had trapped the guys arm against my side and when he tried to pull it out I hipped out and torqued his elbow across my body. He said that he could feel it in his shoulder bad. That is another one going into the arsenal.

Finished with my buddy Wes, I started in his guard and tried that stoopid (cause I don't do it right) reach around pass. He threw a triangle immediately as I let my shoulder dip too far in. I spent the next minute protecting from the triangle then passing his guard. Pissed me off. I have been practicing that pass but have not done it right in a match yet.

Ended up grappling non stop other than a few minutes between partners for an hour. I took a shower and was instantly soaked with sweat as soon as I got in the car. I tried to eat but just couldn't force anything down. Gatorade you are my friend.

Heading back to train with Rich and hit up fundamentals.

Derek Simonds
03-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Marc@h 19 Friday PM

BJJ with Rich 1 hour. Guard pass, side control, KOB, mount, bottom/ guy sweeps and starts in guard. Great training.

BJJ Fundamentals: osoto gari, armbar, armbar escape, side control, KOB, mount, armbar, armbar escape, side control and so on.

Grappled with a guy on my line. Short squat, big guy. He would give up an armbar attack to escape mount. Wild.

Derek Simonds
03-20-2010, 06:49 AM
March 20 Saturday

Dog Walk
D W/U
EC FOam Rolling
Agile 6
B W/U

PC&J 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 1

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 265 X 5, 305 X 3, 335 X 3
SDL 335 X 1

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 5

There is 16 4-8 year old girls at the house for a spa bday party for Laney. Jr and me are doing the only thing we can. RUNNING AWAY!

I sued straps on the top set of DL's as my hands are smoked from jits. I think I am smoked all around. I also think that it is possible that I am a sumo DL'er. The 335 for 1 was so easy it was scary. I am going to work my way up to a heavy single with the sumo style on first day of next cycle.

Training today at BJJ and then I am taking at least 3 maybe 4 days completely off. I need it.

Allen Yeh
03-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Good job with the bench!

Derek Simonds
03-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Good job with the bench!

Thank you sir. It has been a long time coming.

March 20 Saturday

BJJ All levels. I was exhausted going into the class and it was evident. My heartrate went through the roof after just a few minutes of rolling around. Fabio was teaching some of his moves and most of the class was simply like HUH? He can move in ways that make you shake your head. We were doing stuff off of a knee through pass where you would actually grab the guys belt and spin you and him into back mount.

I actually love playing that stuff for fun but don't do it in competition.

Played monkey in the middle from closed guard. I got swept by a brown belt, passed a blue belt and stayed in for a while. We had a visitor who was wearing a white belt no stripes. So I just went easy and this guy jumped all over me like a spider monkey! It was funny, he passed my guard and I said hmm that belt isn't indicative of your training. He trains nogi in KC somewhere.

I ended up back in the middle and stayed there the rest of the time. My right hand which was already giving me grief got caught in a gi and twisted up big time. The first three fingers the first joint is super swollen. I iced them as soon as I got home.

You know the old joke, does your face hurt? Cause its killing me... Well lets just say that my face should be killing all of you right now.

Jr had a front row seat to some of our pro guys training for their upcoming fights April 3rd. Last night 3 of our pro guys fought in Tampa and all won their fights.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2cg0qjm.jpg

Derek Simonds
03-21-2010, 04:40 PM
My bird finger on the right hand looks like an uncooked sausage. Swollen, red and blue. Quite irritating actually. Ice, ibuprofen and possibly a splint tomorrow if it isn't responding.

Did some stretching and foam rolling plan on doing some more before bed.

Another early morning departure. Off to Nashville and plan on trying to hook up with Allen tomorrow night.

Derek Simonds
03-24-2010, 06:44 AM
March 22 and 23

Meetings for time

Hotel calisthenics and stretching

March 24 Wednesday

My son is 10 today. I really can't believe I have a 10 year old boy. WOW!

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6

FS 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 70 X 5, 95 X 5

Press 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 70 X 5, 95 X 5
P/U 3 X 4

5 minutes of club swinging

Lunges and various other things working with my neighbor that started working out with us today. Oh and I got a set of stainless steel 5 LB clubs from Ryan Pitts at www.strongergrip.com they are rock solid.

Seriously I don't know how you professional coaches do it. My buddy that worked out with us today is the classic hey I am going to Vegas in 55 days and want to tone up people. So I had him FS and it was a train wreck, I worked on that with him for 5 sets and have decided that air squats are going to be the order progressing to goblet squats and then maybe box squats. Ankles, hips, glutes they are all jacked up. If he sits down, literally just sitting down his knees cave in for him to be able to sit.

So pressing should be a little easier. Nope. Just pressing the bar overhead he was at least 15 degrees forward of his head and could not straighten his elbows. I switched him to a neutral grip DB press and it was just as jacked. Seriously have no idea how he moves with all the weird compensation patterns he has. Things he could do, pull ups and lunges. Both of those were in line with normal. He told me that he can bench like a maniac though...

I gave him a bunch of rehab / prehab stuff and we will see where this progresses.

Derek Weaver
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Happy Birthday to your son.

That neighbor is going to be a challenge.

Just some food for thought, if he's got all those issues with the lower body, even air squats are going to be tough. He's likely got a 3-fold problem: mobility, flexibility and stability.

I'd actually have him do unweighted box squats, activation exercises etc. Concentrating on loaded lunges and split squats for external resistance are likely safe and effective from a mobility stand point. Cossack squats depending on progress are good for this too.

This is a good one to help with Thoracic mobility/extension (http://billhartman.net/blog/2010/03/12/active-thoracic-mobilization/)

This is a good one (http://billhartman.net/blog/2010/02/09/proper-pulling/) on making sure he pulls correctly.

I'd guess something like activation work, t-mobility, bodyweight box squats, lunges/split squats/rear foot elevated split squats + pushups, pull ups and extra work for the external rotators would keep him plenty busy and improve his look.

these are all things I've tried to work into my own stuff before I got sick.

Derek Simonds
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I am definitely going with unweighted box squats.

Bill Hartmans site is having technical difficulties right now. Hope it gets resolved I was looking forward to checking out those articles. I need to look up the Robb Wolf Kyphosis article in PM and review that as well.

Thursday March 25

Grippers CoC Trainer 6 sets of 10 each hand

Band Finger Extensions 8 sets starting at easiest and working up to big yellow for 10 reps each.

I am working on shearing phone books and it is a lot harder than it looks. Here is Adam doing it. http://www.adamtglass.com/feats-of-strength/ second video down.

Now imagine me straining so hard that I get close to blacking out. Hmm sounds about right. I think I figured out what I am doing wrong but I am going to shoot him an email and ask. Oh and by the way the phone book I am working on is half the size of the MSP he tears. Ungawdly!

And that stupid jammed finger from last week isn't making it any easier.

Derek Simonds
03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
March 26 Friday

Kids last day of school pre spring break. Delaneys birthday and we are heading up to the lake for the next 4 days. So it was a busy morning.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6

Low Band Pulls black theraband X 25 X 2
Dislocates with as narrow as possible hands making sure to actively shrug through the movement X 12 X 2
Behind the neck press with active scap retraction X 15 X 2
Black theraband pull aparts 20 X 2
Kneeling push up plus 15 X 2

This was a real nice little warm up.

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5, 135 X 5
FGDBR 50 X 6, 8, 8, 10

B W/U

DL 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5, 215 X 5

BB Corner Twist 25 X 2
BB Crush 20 X 2
BB Flexion 20 X 2

Done and got to hang with the family prior to them leaving for school. Good morning all around. Next week is going to be odd for me as I am going to workout Tuesday and Thursday for my 5/3/1 and do 2 days of KB stuff down in the Keys.

Derek Simonds
03-26-2010, 11:20 AM
March 26 Friday

BJJ Competition class and open mat. Tomorrow is belt testing so there was a full mat today as everyone testing was practicing.

I tried to take it as easy as possible with my finger. Had some really fun rolls. I warmed up with a purple belt and we just were moving like the wind. I was using the grab both legs and flatten them pass and he was defending kind of with a collar choke. It was actually uncomfortable. I am going to have to play with that some.

Rolled with a couple of guys practicing for the test and enjoyed helping them.

Derek Simonds
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
March 30 Tuesday

D W/U

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 120 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5
Press 45 X 5, 5, 70 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 120 X 5
P/U 3 X 6

Done and done. It has been a wild 4 days. Took the kids to the RNR and really just had a great time. The adults definitely had way too much fun each day also. I am paying for it today.

Todays workout was in and out of the garage in under 30 minutes with W/U. I am working tomorrow and then we are heading down to the keys for the last weekend of spring break. I am going to get my bench and DL in on Thursday before we leave.

Hopefully I am at least a little more recovered by then. Today was definitely a high gravity Tuesday...

Oh yeah Jr and Laney picked up right where they left off last year. Jr is wakeboarding like a champ and Laney was able to cross the wake several times behind a different boat with a much larger wake. The water was still pretty darn cold so neither kid was too aggressive as they didn't want the cold water dousing. Laney actually was able to kneeboard til her hands hurt and never got her hair wet the second day. When she dropped she just kept floating on the board and we circled back around. Jr pulled her right up to the boat and she climbed in. Pretty funny.

I will post some video tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2010, 06:52 AM
March 31 Wednesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Low Band Pulls 25 X 2
Band Pull Aparts 20 X2
Dislocates with shrug 15 X 2
Band Behind Neck Press 10 X 2

16 KG KB Clean + Press Variations
1) BUP
2) Flip KB and catch bell in palm of hand
3) Regular
Did 10 sets of these 3 each side. Lots of fun and really worked on making sure the technique was dead on.

24 KG KB Clean + 2 Presses 5 X 2

Derek Simonds
04-01-2010, 07:04 AM
March 31 Wednesday (PM)

BJJ Great class with one of my favorite techniques taking the back from turtle. Finished with a classic gi choke.

Laney had a casting call for a Disney commercial that was right up the street from the academy so I headed over there to watch her. That was fun. We didn't know it was for a TV commercial and Laney has never done anything other than photo stuff so I doubt she will get it but it was still neat for her to get the experience.

Speaking of experience my coaches want me to compete in the New York BJJ Open. I think it is May 1st I haven't looked yet. Probably would be a good warm up for the FL State Championships May 22nd. I will have to see how travel lines up.

Derek Simonds
04-01-2010, 07:06 AM
April 1 Thrusday

EC Foam Rolling
D W/U

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 150 X 5, 170 X 5, 200 X 5
DL 45 X 10, 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 240 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 5

I have decided that this week is a do over. No way around it. I have had so many things happen and I don't feel like I made any good progress. I did hit all my numbers but it just felt so rushed. I think it will be just fine to do it over next week.

Tracy's uncle passed away in Michigan Tuesday evening so we got her on a flight up there this morning. The kids and I are headed to the Keys for the weekend. Really going in a bunch of different directions. Going to focus on the kids and just enjoy the weekend. Well they have to go to work with me for a few hours and then we will enjoy the weekend.

Derek Weaver
04-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife's uncle.

Good stuff a out the New York BJJ open though. That'll be cool.

Allen Yeh
04-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Condolences to your wife and her family from the all of us in SC.

Kevin Perry
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife's uncle.

Derek Simonds
04-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the condolences guys. It ended up being a bizarre trip for Tracy. The airlines lost her luggage and she didn't get it until Sunday morning when she was coming home and the family changed the funeral from Friday til Tuesday. So she ended up missing the funeral anyways. But she did get the chance to spend a lot of time with her family and that is what is important.

Saturday April 3

Keys workout with an 11 year old baseball player

D W/U

100 Push Ups
100 Situps
100 Snatches (he did a 100 swings with his bat)

5 minutes of club bell swinging with my new 5 lb'ers

I am sad to report that I had significant DOMS from those stupid push ups. I am still sore today.

We had a blast in the keys and I will post some pictures in a day or two.

Derek Simonds
04-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Monday April 5

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 120 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 8

Sumo DL 135 X 3, 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 275 X 3, 315 X 3, 365 X 1, 405 X F, F, 385 X F

Well the 365 was easy but 405 was just a no go this morning. I should have had 385 but I was pretty light headed from reefing on the 405. Dangit! I thought I would have had that no problem. At least I now have a frame of reference for the lift.

Pretty crazy 3 days and then off to TN for Jr's regional championship. Jr and me discussed how he needs to prep over the next 3 days and we will see how it goes.

Derek Simonds
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Monday April 5 (PM)

BJJ worked 2 sweeps, armbar and butterfly. Finished with choke from mount. Pretty darn tired all the way around and heading to bed.

Derek Weaver
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Think the fail @ 405 was maybe getting used to the technique?

I bet you get 420 + to fall before that push-pull meet I think I saw you mention a while back.

Tell Jr. good luck at his meet.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2010, 04:45 AM
I am not sure. I got a good setup and went at it. I almost blacked out trying to lift it so I think I am probably just not ready for 405 yet.

Jr is training tonight and I am visiting the gym to watch some practice. I will let him know you said good luck.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Tuesday April 6

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

2rounds of
12 Kneeling Push Up Plus
25 Black Low Band Pulls
12 Behind the Neck Press
12 Dislocates with Shrugs
20 Black Band Pull Aparts

Press 45 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 120 X 5.75 :D
P/U's 6 X 3 (my middle finger on right hand was problematic today)

Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 165 X 10
FGDBR 50 X 10, 10, 10, 20

BB Crush 65 X 20 X 4
BB Flexion 45 X 20 X 4

Drag Curlz 45 X 20

Oh I had that 6th rep and just lost it at about 3/4 of the way up. Oh well. It was a good run at it.

Derek Simonds
04-07-2010, 08:20 AM
April 7 Wednesday

D W/U
Tons of EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6
B W/U

PC X 3 + 1 Jerk 95, 105, 115, 125, 135

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 2, 245 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 6

BS 45 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 6
BB Extension 21 LB's X 20 X 4
DB Curlz 25 LB's alternating grips and hand placements 10 X 4

The DL's felt good, real good. I should have went for more. I find it hard to get my air again if I let it out and sometimes I am pretty light headed pulling.

Derek Simonds
04-08-2010, 04:24 AM
April 8 Thursday

D W/U
Run around the block with Lucy. Just so you know it is a really, really big block.

15 Kneeling Push Up Plus
30 Black Low Band Pulls
15 Dislocates with Shrug
20 Black Band Pull Aparts
15 Behind the Neck Press
3 per side RKC Armbars

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 150 X 5, 175 X 5, 200 X 5
FGDBR 50 X 10, 65 X 10 X 3

Tracy was working out with me and she gave me my lift off on each of the work sets. The 200 was just a touch more than she could handle and I had to lift a lot more than normal. I lost my setup. Funny how just a small change in your setup can result in a lift being significantly more difficult.

Couple of random thoughts.

1) If you are DL'ing and PC'ing and have on your rehbands and a belt when mother nature calls for your morning constitutional you can absolutely get into a position where you blow the back out of the toilet. Whoohee can you make some pressure.

2) 4 days in a row is tough I don't care who you are. I really don't know how I ever did 3 on 1 off.

3) Having a dislocated finger makes everything more difficult. I mean everything. Doesn't matter what it is in the gym your hands are involved.

4) It is kind of embarrassing for you and your dog when you are both breathing hard after running 1/4 mile. What was that quote about conditioning... oh yeah easy come, easy go!

Derek Simonds
04-10-2010, 06:27 AM
April 9 Saturday

Region VIII Men's Championships

This was a tough day. Jr was ready he had a great week at gym and was looking forward to competing. His Coach was unable to go to the meet so he had made plans with another gym to have their Coach handle Jr through the meet. I have never met the guy before and we find him pre meet and get the plan. He was a great guy and really welcomed Jr with open arms. The kids on the team were really supportive as well. During general stretch Jr came up short on a front handspring and went down. We didn't know what had happened. He got up and they were transitioning to P-Bars to begin practice before competition began. As he was walking he started limping and when he got in line for P-Bars he started crying. Coach Josh talked to him and next thing you know an EMT came over and helps him to a stretcher.

I have on a Team Florida Gymnastics coaching shirt so I just walk right out onto the floor and over to Jr. He was so upset. He hyperextended his knee when he landed. He said Dad I tried to hold it together but it hurts so bad. Luckily my sister who is the Assistant Director of Pediatrics at ETSU had driven over with her family and I was able to get her out on the floor to check him out.

http://i43.tinypic.com/nyikg1.jpg

Kind of handy when you travel with your own physician. Doctor Dawn said that all the ligaments were in place and that it was a sprain. I told him that he could scratch and that his health was worth a lot more than competing. He was still so upset and we sat and iced his knee for 20 minutes while the squad was warming up on P-Bars. Jr said I want to compete and Coach Josh said he would catch Jr on the dismount so that he wouldn't land on his leg. So Jr got up cold and did his routine with Coach catching him out of the handstand. Right there I wanted to cry. He knew that he wasn't going to win or place but he wanted to compete. Next event was high bar. He had the best high bar routine of the entire year. And again on his dismount Coach Josh caught him when he released.

On Floor Jr walked through the tumbling passes but did the skills that he could. The judges were so confused they looked at each other like what do we do? He ended up with an 11 which is funny as he scored an 11 on Floor earlier in the year with tumbling. It was just a bug improvement on tightness, pointed toes and overall movement.

He had a solid Pommel and Rings and the last event was vault. We had continued to ice his knee and he took some ibuprofen and he was feeling better. I asked him if he wanted to try a straight jump and see how it felt. He said wanted to. He made a pass and landed favoring his leg but looked at me and said I am going to do it. Well he did and had a little bobble on the landing as he was still trying to land on his good leg. But he scored a 14.5! That was good enough for 21st place out of 120 competitors.

http://i42.tinypic.com/243i8ur.jpg

As you can see he is pretty pysched. His knee is slightly swollen today and his MCL is enflammed. He is going to take it easy and and get lots of ice treatments this week.

It was tough leaving the meet as the kids that were used to placing at their local meets were shut out. There were a lot of kids there that were crying. I told Jr that he was lucky just to be there let alone medal!

His attitude was good all through the meet and I really feel like he learned a lot about himself. I couldn't be more proud!

Allen Yeh
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
WTG Jr.!

Derek Weaver
04-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Awesome effort. A real showing of heart by Jr. I hope he realizes that he showed more character than 99% of athletes would in that situation, regardless of age.

He should be very proud of himself.

Derek Simonds
04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Well I give up. I can't figure out how to include pictures from a Picassa Web Album so here is a link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dereksimonds/2010AprilReigionalChampionship?authkey=Gv1sRgCN6g5 e3Gpbe5qwE&feat=directlink

Here is the photo we bought as a memory mate at the tourney. I am very pleased with his progression this year and how dang good this lever is.

http://i42.tinypic.com/21bst1s.jpg

So we were talking last night on the way to the store and I told Jr that football sign ups were next weekend. He asked me how many nights they practiced and I told him 2 times during the week and played games on Saturday. He told me he was going to pass as that would interfere with his gym practice. You can color me floored!

Derek Simonds
04-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks Allen and Derek!

Derek Simonds
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
April 12 Monday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 145 X 5, 165 X 8 (hey that's progress)

Sumo DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 275 X 3, 315 X 3, 335 X 2

Tracy and Jr left at 4:00 AM for a field trip to the state capital. They will be back late tomorrow. I took care of Laney this morning and I am heading to KC for work. So my dad is going to be with Laney today and tomorrow by himself...

The FS were great this morning. I just felt really solid. I stopped at 8 as I was leaning forward, other than that my legs were great.

Sumo's on the other hand were weird today. I setup wrong I guess on the 315 and on the first rep set the damn weights right on my toes. That smarted. 335 X 3 on Monday and then up to 355 X 3.

Derek Simonds
04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Did I mention 206 nekkid?

Derek Simonds
04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
April 13 Tuesday

D W/U
2 sets of
Kneeling Push Up Plus X 15
10 LB Plate Halos X 15 each way
10 LB Truck Drivers X 15

Press 45 X 5, 3, 75 X 3, 100 X 3, 115 X 3, 130 X 3 (gutted that last rep out)
P/U's 6 X 4

Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 135 X 12, 155 X 12, 6
DB Rows 50 X 10, 65 X 10, 70 X 10, 75 X 10

82.5 LB BB Crush X 15 X 4
25 LB DB Hammer Curls

I worked out at the 8th street Y in KC and it is in its original building from 1908. I think some of the plates were originals as well. I saw some of the worst lifting ever there today and one guy sumo box squatting 365 for reps perfectly.

I left my belt at home and I have to tell you, I don't like lifting without a belt now. Kind of weird but I just couldn't get tight all through my body the way I wanted no matter how hard I tried.

As I was walking back to my hotel I though well this is a great place to get mugged. Kind of a rough neighborhood.

I found Gates Brothers BBQ it is 5 blocks from my hotel and I am heading there next. I ate there 15 years ago and remember it fondly. I am confident it will live up to expectations!

Derek Simonds
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Oh I ate some BBQ. I think I set a new PR.

I went ahead and plunked down the money to compete this weekend. I am probably not quite tournament ready but I have always wanted to fight in a grapplers quest and Tracy and Laney are going to be at Girl Scout camp so it is on! Jr and me will get to see some cool stuff and hang out at the tournament.

http://www.grapplersquest.com/events/2010-grapplers-quest-europa-show-champions

I am good for 1 or 2 fights, if my division is much deeper than that I might be in trouble...

Derek Simonds
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
14 April Wednesday

D W/U

DB Floor Press 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 X 12
DB Lunges 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 X 6 each leg (gonna pay for those tomorrow)

DB 1 Leg DL 5 each arm each leg X 40 LB DB X 3 (for those following along that is 20 1 leg DL's, 10 per each leg per set)
DB Shrug 50 LB X 12 X3

10 LB DB Extension X 20 X 3
20 LB DB Flexion X 20 X 3 (this was the biggest forearm pump ever, DB's must be harder :) )

DB Curl X 3 + 1 Press X 12 X 3 X 25 LB's

I am like a caged lion, a race car running in the red. I didn't have time to go to the YMCA and I had to do something so I hit the hotel gym. It was funny they had DB pairs up to 50 LB's but no bench at all. Nothing. 3 Treadmills and 1 ab something or another but no bench.

I had a good day today visiting clients and am hoping to finish with a bang tomorrow and then off to the house. I am thinking a ton about the tournament now that I registered. Like I said this is my first one ever at this high of a weight class. I think I jumped 2 classes since my last tournament.

Off for a KC steak somewhere.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2010, 12:02 PM
16 April Friday

BJJ Open mat. All about tournament prep for me. Just wanted to sweat to make sure I could make weight and work on some movements. Had a really good 1/2 to 3/4 speed session with all big guys all purple belts or better. Everybody says I am ready, I am of course nervous moving up 2 whole weight classes. In my mind I have been going over two different moves that work consistently for me taking the back and a collar choke or RNC and arm triangle off side control. I got both of those twice today. I also worked on some fist chokes and ezekiels from side and mount. Nothing else to do except show up and fight now.

I woke up at 208.8 in my undies. Weight class is up to 209.9. I lost 4 lb's during lunch and with my jeans on weighed 206.6. I am going to sip some gatorade and eat some small portions and I should be fine on making weight tonight.

Derek Simonds
04-18-2010, 05:35 AM
17 April Staurday

Grapplers Quest Europa Show of Champions

Putting this at the top in bold, Gant my stand up sucked!

Man what a messed up tournament. They were using new software that live updated the brackets and wins online and on two big screens, well it crashed. They lost everything and had to redo the brackets by hand. It was a mess. We didn't compete until 6:00 which makes for a long day. I didn't cut weight exactly but I moderated my intake and made weight. All for nothing. Originally I had a first round bye and suddenly there were 3 more guys in our bracket. they were the super heavies. Yep they dumped in with us.

First match I went for a couple of weak judo throws and then was taken down by my opponent. I worked for a couple of guard attacks and then swept him when he tried to stand up in my guard. From there I just went right down my game plan just like it was in my head. got to half guard off the sweep, used pressure to get side control, moved to mount, attacked with ezekiel, he kept pushing up his arm and I was tempted to go for an armbar but the way he was pushing through I secured his arm with my head and slid off into side for an arm triangle. It was freaking tight too!

Second match I pulled guard after losing the points on the takedown in the first match. Same game plan just took a little longer to get there. I swept him and then used the pass where you crush the legs together. This is when I think he broke my nose. As I was trying to pass he drove his elbow in between my face and his legs trying to push my head away. He hit me hard enough that I saw stars and he kept pushing. I was able to pass and we scrambled around a lot on the ground. I managed to take his back with about a 90 seconds left in the match and that put me up 9 to 0. When I took his back he latched onto my left arm with both of his and I couldn't get it free. I had my right arm under hooking his right arm with a strong collar grip but I had no way to attack and we just kept fighting each other for that left arm. I let go a couple of times with my right to reposition or to try and attack but every time he would make a move to escape so I would go back to the under hooking collar grip.

The single best part of this match was Jr was on the mat and he was watching the score and time. At 1:15 he was yelling dad you are winning hold onto for another minute. He kept giving me updates. It was funny I knew the guy coaching me was telling me stuff at the same time but all I could hear was Jr. While I had his back was the longest 90 seconds ever. My head hurt and I was trying to moderate my breathing. I knew I was bleeding and could taste it in my mouth and I didn't want the ref to stop us to clean up the blood. I held on and got the win 9 to 0.

After I went off the mat they called over a medic to check me out. I was seeing stars out of my left eye and generally felt like shit. I wanted the gold medal bad and they called me back to the mat after only a couple of minutes. I asked them to fight the 3rd place match so I could work on the bleeding and they did. Even after that match I was still a wreck. I went up to my opponent and told him that I didn't feel like I could fight and be safe so I backed out of the match. I woke up several times last night pissed at myself. It is over and I took the silver medal. I was the oldest guy in my weight class and both of my fights were with super heavies so I am happy about all of that. This is the first time I have ever backed out of a fight. Either I am getting older and smarter or I need my vajayjay checked. Hell I broke my arm won and fought two more matches after that two years ago.

I did learn a lot. My grip strength was great. I need to work more gi p/u's and fat gripz farmer walks. My overall strength felt great as well. My legs actually seemed to be my weak point in that when I had the guys back I couldn't use my legs to flatten him out. They were burning something fierce. So I am definitely adding in some road work and rowing for the next 30 days.

On to the pictures. This was me going for an ezekiel in the first match.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1g3pc0.jpg

End of the first match

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rz28gx.jpg

I went for the butterfly sweep, didn't get it but it produced a scramble which is how I took his back.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ywzjpg.jpg

I wasn't feeling none to good at this moment in time.

http://i44.tinypic.com/epfxgg.jpg

Derek Simonds
04-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Me making friends with the EMT's and Medics working the event.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ekrfo2.jpg

And this is how I looked after icing my face for about an hour waiting on the awards

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qjgnci.jpg

Like I said I learned a lot, I have regret that I didn't even try in the gold medal match and I am committed as always to improving. It was a great day just to be with Jr and I will do the tourney again next year. All of the other stuff going on made it very cool. The powerlifting meet and strongmen were incredible.

Allen Yeh
04-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Good job, way to hold on, better to let the match than get hurt or worse go than accidentally hurt the other guy cause you weren't all there. Silver = great especially since they were heavier and younger.

Derek Simonds
04-18-2010, 03:40 PM
18 April Saturday

Quick catch up workout.

D W/U
EC Foam rolling

Bench up to 210 X 3
DL up to 335 X 3

I am pretty darn smoked. Out.

Derek Weaver
04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Nice job in the tourney. No need to fight with a busted nose. It was an awesome tournament, but unless it's Abu Dhabi or the Mundials, why risk it?

I vote for older and smarter. And likely better from the sounds of it. Well done.

Derek Simonds
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I have no idea how to post a video from Facebook but here is the link to my first fight.

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=1204351660&k=Z4EXZ2V4S5TFYCCEVE52S5PQTTE1YTYD&oid=1110404336134

It is on my profile page, if anyone knows how to post a video from there let me know. I will get the video and upload it youtube this week sometime.

Greg Davis
04-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Nicely done Derek.. super encouraging to see you sticking with your training and competing..

Derek Simonds
04-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks Greg. I appreciate it a lot. This forum has always provided me a level of inspiration so it is nice to hear from the guys on here.

19 April Monday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling X a lot
Agile 6

FS 45 X 5, 3, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 175 X 6

KB Snatch 16 KG X 5 each arm X 5, 20 KG X 3 X 3, 5 X 3

My front squat is progressing nicely. My legs were fine my torso was the weak link today. I was definitely rounding on the last 2 reps. I wanted to get in some practice with the KB's before this weekends 70's Big TSC. I felt good with them and am going to set a goal to do at least 75 in the 5 minutes. We will see how it goes.

Craig Brown
04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Great work! That sounds like you made the smart move to me. Another day...

Gant Grimes
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Excellent work! Bowing out always makes you pissed, but it's usually for the best. You'll realize the wisdom of this weeks from now.

I'll be there the 26th and 27th. If you can carve out a little time for standup and grip fighting, I'll get you fixed up.

Derek Simonds
04-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks Gant. I have all the time in the world carved out for Monday and Tuesday. You just let me know your schedule and I will make mine work. And I have found a restaurant that we can eat at afterward to properly refuel.

20 April Tuesday (Happy 4/20 Day People)

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 3 75 X 5, 95 X 2, 105 X 5, 120 X 3, 135 X 3 (Hells Yeah)
P/U 6, 5, 4, 4

DB FG FLoor Press 50 X 12 X 4
65 LB BB Crush 20 X 4
65 LB BB Flexion 20 X 4
21 LB BB Extension 20 X 4
65 LB Drag Curlz 15

Today was just mainly about hitting my press numbers. I feel like the universe got the wrong Derek and hit me with about 20 tons of shit in the last 24 hours. Ah well c'est la vie.... I really don't know what all I did this morning after the press but that is the stuff I can remember.

Off to NashVegas for 2 days of meetings and then plan on some serious deloading after the TSC on Friday!

Derek Simonds
04-23-2010, 04:30 AM
23 April Friday

EC Foam Rolling
B W/U
Agile 6

70's Big TSC

Sumo DL up to 365 X 1, 380 X 1, 405 X 1 (HUGE MF'ing PR!

DH P/U 10

24 KG KB Snatch 62 (that is a default PR cause I have never snatched the 24 more than 5 times in a row)

Video to follow as soon as I can.

Derek Simonds
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Here is the 405 Sumo DL Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YxG6fo423o

Gant Grimes
04-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Great job on the PRs. I know you've been chasing four plates for awhile.

I just checked your vid. I saw some things right away that we'll talk about next week. You'll be easily pulling another 20-40 pounds by the end of summer.

Derek Simonds
04-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Cool. See you in a couple of days.

Kevin Perry
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice job on the sumo.

Derek Simonds
04-24-2010, 06:41 AM
24 April Saturday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Bench 175 X 5, 200 X 3, 220 X 3 (PR X 2 reps)
FGDBR 50 X 12 X 5

Man I have PR'ed every lift this entire week. That doesn't happen often so I will take it! Crazy how things have worked out. I am looking forward to training with Gant next week and having a nice deload week. Deload week might turn into a deload month based on my need of some cardio so I will see how that goes.

Off to breakfast and BJJ.

Allen Yeh
04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Need of cardio huh?

Derek Simonds
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Gant is in town

BJJ Fundamentals side control escapes and clock choke

BJJ Advanced drawing a blank. We did play monkey in the middle and Gant surprised one of our purple belts. Grappled with my buddy Rich and a white belt after monkey. Rich's half guard is getting super smooth.

Worked stand up grip fighting with Gant for about 30 minutes and I think I have a plan. Get a power grip and move to the side and attack from there. I am going to play that for a while and see how it works out.

Derek Simonds
04-28-2010, 03:09 AM
27 April PM

Night 2 Training with Gant

BJJ fundamentals same basic stuff as Monday

No-Gi lots of fun working from different positions. Back, Mount, Half Guard all the fun ones. Gant and I worked on a high percentage pass and attack from side control for his upcoming tournament.

After watched Gant work with one of the guys I train with who was a college wrestler. Learned some pretty interesting grip stuff.

Derek Simonds
04-28-2010, 03:51 AM
28 April

Deload Week

FS up to 110 X 5

Press up to 85 X 5

Plate Curls 10 LB X 15 X 2

And a picture from last night after training.

http://i41.tinypic.com/312y2l2.jpg

Derek Simonds
04-29-2010, 03:57 AM
29 April Thursday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Deload Week Day 2
Bench up 135 X 5
DL up to 225 X 5

Final plans were made last night and I got permission from the wife to head to the Bahamas for the weekend. Taking a 35' Everglades across. Should be fun. Next week in Toronto.

Derek Simonds
04-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Truck is loaded, it is T-Minus 4 hours to launch and I am heading to West End by boat. I will post pictures when I get back...

Derek Simonds
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
That was the shortest night of sleep ever on purpose. Went to sleep at 10:30 got up at 1:30. Wow. Got to boat in Palm Beach at 6:00 and left the dock by 7:30. Not the first time ever that NOAA has been a little off on the forecast. Supposed to be 2-4 and I am telling you there were some solid 6 footers with a couple maybe a little bigger.

I grabbed a bean bag and tried to catch some sleep but no dice. Both times I fell asleep I got completely doused by rogue waves. Man am I tired right now. We got here and the weather turned to crap so docked the boat and did a bunch of stuff that needed to get done. Visited my bosses empty land to see if he is ready to build and it looks like he is close. Now I have been on a conference calls for the last 3 hours and am so ready to get some bait and go bag some fish.

Here is the boat we took over today. Hopefully pictures of fish tomorrow!

http://i44.tinypic.com/auyxya.jpg

Derek Simonds
05-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Let see wind, wind and more wind was the weather in the Bahamas... That makes for some tough fishing. I did get to troll some but caught nothing other than the barracuda below. Managed to catch some nice Black Snapper in 500 feet of water. I was using 5 lb's of lead to get to the bottom and reeling in that much line multiple times was a workout in itself. Did about 90 minutes worth of diving in 45 feet of water it was gorgeous and shot a 3lb yellow tail snapper with a Hawaiian sling which was a first. All in all a good trip that had some issues but I would do it again.

Me and the cuda comparing teeth

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cyptup.jpg

The view from the porch of the hotel room at Old Bahama Bay.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ayx06d.jpg

I was wet pretty much the entire time. I don't think I dried out until this morning.

Derek Simonds
05-04-2010, 07:17 AM
May 4 Monday

D W/U

Press 45 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 110 X 5, 125 X 6 (PR for weight and volume)

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 125 X 5, 145 X 5, 165 X 9 (PR for weight and volume)

Surprised myself on both of these today. I was certain that I was going to puke during the squats. I am still dehydrated and it was already 80 and 100 percent humidity in the garage this morning. Off to Toronto!

Allen Yeh
05-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Nice PR's and nice pics.

Derek Simonds
05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Cinco de Mayo

Treadmill 25 minutes 7.5 degree incline 3.6 mph my heart rate stayed right in the 110 range peaked at around 125. I will take it. I remembered how much I hate walking on a treadmill!

I am pissed I am missing a helluva a good Cinco party back in the neighborhood tonight. Hopefully we will have some really good conference food...

Derek Simonds
05-07-2010, 06:05 AM
7 May 2010

We didn't have really good conference food in fact I have ate like crap last 3 days and think I might have brought something home from the Bahamas in my gut. Been absolutely miserable with diarrhea for the last 36 hours.

That and traveling I basically felt like a bag of hammers this morning. I DL'ed anyways.

D W/U
Foam Rolling and man it felt good
B W/U Not snappy at all so I bagged the PC's

DL 45 X Bunch, 135 X 5, 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 240 X5, 275 X 5, 315 X 5

I consider that a major success as I didn't stain anything. I am going to head to the local health food store and get some of that stuff I drank when my stomach was jacked before.

Gant Grimes
05-07-2010, 06:17 AM
How is the DL form coming along?

Derek Simonds
05-08-2010, 04:13 PM
How is the DL form coming along?

Yesterday was conventional and it was solid. Today I sumo'ed and got a real solid stance. I brought my feet in slightly, turned them out a little more and was able to get into a great position. Felt really different from last time.

8 May 2010

D W/U

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 180 X 5, 200 X 5
BS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3 singles X 3 sets

Sumo DL 135 X 5, 225 X 3 singles and 5 sets
Plate Curl 10 X 15 X 3
FG BB Curl 45 X 15 X 2

Private with Rich and Fabin. WOW I had a major half guard breakthrough today. I have been recovering guard wrong for my entire BJJ career! It was so simple but instead of trying to drive the top knee back across to create space you simply put your outside foot on the mat hip a little and slide the same foot in for butterfly! Freaking ridiculously easy and I was unstoppable after that.

We also worked on defending the double stack pass. I learned two moves that work off a cross grip that were super easy sweeps. I don't know any lower belts that have ever tried that pass on me. However several of the higher belts have and now I feel that I have a great defense / attack sequence. In that same position I learned a new way to attack that I like a whole better. Gonna work that next week.

Did the warm up with the regular class and then had to leave. Turns out it was good timing. My dad was up at the wash and it was shut down. We spent all afternoon working on it, thought we had it fixed and my dad just called me and said it is down again. Drats. I am cleaned up and heading out for sushi so it is gonna stay broke tonight.

Derek Simonds
05-10-2010, 03:56 AM
May 10 2010

10 Minute Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Rolling

I hyperextended my left shoulder at BJJ on Saturday and it has been bothering me all weekend. Today is a press day and I was concerned about the movement so I decided to try out the testing protocol from Adam Glass. I did a ROM test then 3 presses, retested and I was better. Then I tried a grip test using the starter CoC and did 3 more presses it also was better. So I decided to go for the presses. I am not completely sold on this protocol but decided it would at least ease my mind going into the presses.

Press 45 X 3, 3, 5, 75 X 3, 95 X 1, 105 X 3, 120 X 3, 135 X 3 (PR for weight across, I have lifted 135 X 3 but never with this much weight before it)

Front Squat 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 155 X 3, 175 X 10 (this is a ridiculous PR for me)

My workout partner Andy went first on the last sets today so he got to set the record. He made 9 on the FS and I was determined to get the animal award so I went for 10. On the last 2 sets it didn't matter what I did I could not get any air. It was as close as I have ever come to passing out on squats. He missed his 3rd rep on press so I knew what I had to do there as well. On the 3rd rep of the press I was squeezing with all I had. It went up a little slow but it went up.

I am planning on training BJJ 10 times this week. So lets see what happens. That would mean at least 2 mornings and 2 lunches. Hopefully my boss will be understanding.

Derek Simonds
05-10-2010, 06:41 PM
10 May 2010 PM

BJJ Lets just sum up tonight by saying that I am an hour out from class and still not sure if I am going to puke. Everyone is getting ready for the tourney so Fabin was maniacal!

Postional grappling from the shark tank for 15 minutes and I was only out for 2 minutes. Last time through with one of the brown belts and he couldn't sweep or submit me and I couldn't pass. Time was called and Fabin told me nice fighting. That made me feel good but I was smoked already. Finished with 3 5 minute rounds. One with a 207 white belt who is twice as strong as I am. He clocked me with a knee on the right side of my face and the left side of my head hurts. Owie! Gant it was the big dude I was rolling with when you asked me what was taking me so long.

I did pull off a couple of nice subs, armbar and triangle from the guard. All with blue belts or up. I am going to keep pushing hard. Tomorrow morning might sleep in though.

Derek Weaver
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice work on the mats and with the iron. PR's are a good thing.

Derek Simonds
05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
11 May 2010

BJJ basic stuff worked on knee up pass, side control and armbar. The new teaching style at the academy is to pick a topic and drill it all week.

No-Gi well we got our freak on in this class. It started with takedown practice, single, double and never slowed down. I worked with the guy who went to Abu Dhabi this year. That was a blast. His takedowns much better than mine. I did learn a variant on an outside single that I got to work so I will play with that some.

Worked some wild leg up guard passing where you could sprawl and end up in back mount. Played another version of this where you spin around opposite leg and end up in mount. Rich joined us and Fabio showed how you can roll under your opponents leg if they have de la riva to get the same results. Very cool stuff.

Grappled 3 6 minute rounds first round with Jim and I was able to pass to side control. Once I got there I was able to stay in control the rest of the match. I went for an arm triangle and he had his chin tucked so I gave it up and went back to side. When we finished he said man I couldn't get out of your side control and I said thanks you were just playing nice. Grappled with Carlos who was a wrestler and he was the hardest guy I have ever fought to get on his back. It was good for me. I should have used a guillotine but just never got to it. I pulled guard on him twice and both time when I would work open guard he would just jump up. It was really good for me to practice with him. Finished up grappling with Rich. We had an epic match. In the very beginning he was trying to pass and I had a leg over like a triangle but couldnt pull my other leg out so I was using my right arm. I had his wrist in my left hand so it was kind of a funky Eddie Bravo thing. I couldn't finish or sweep and he couldn't move so I wiggled around to try and find a better position and it was on. I ended up getting mount from his half guard, he spun I took his back we fought there for a little he got half guard again and I was crushing him. We went back and forth around his half guard for the rest of the time and Fabio said there is 30 seconds left. Rich made a great move where he kind of shrugged me and slid down to go for a sweep. He got the sweep and we rolled around to finish the match. Marcio saw the sweep and told me don't let him do that, that will cost you 2 points in a match. I said Yes Sir!

Great practice and I really enjoyed getting to train with so many good guys tonight. I am banged up this morning and still have 3 days of training and 1 tournament to go this week!

Derek Simonds
05-12-2010, 03:52 AM
12 May 2010

1 Mile walk + 2 dogs + 40 LB Vest = legs that feel a whole lot better.

Foam Rolling

Derek Simonds
05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Forgot to mention that I am eating no carbs, smaller portions and no alcohol during the week so that I can make weight at state. Well so far I am up 2 lb's going into today. HMMM. Maybe I am supposed to be a 70's Big Super Heavy at this tournament...

Garrett Smith
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Forgot to mention that I am eating no carbs, smaller portions and no alcohol during the week so that I can make weight at state. Well so far I am up 2 lb's going into today. HMMM. Maybe I am supposed to be a 70's Big Super Heavy at this tournament...
Well, if you look at the title of your log, maybe weight gain is unavoidable. :)

Derek Simonds
05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah that is kind of interesting. Here is the funny part. Up until about 90 days ago I weighed the exact same as when I started the log, sad. Now when I need to shed a couple of LB's in a short time I am finding it a little hard. No worries I will make weight!

Derek Simonds
05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
12 May 2010 PM

BJJ Pretty much smoked tonight so only did an hour. Gonna go all out tomorrow. Same stuff knee up guard pass, side control, mount and armbar.

Yeah basics!

Derek Simonds
05-13-2010, 04:00 AM
13 May 2010

D W/U
Foam Rolling
Band Work
RKC Armbars

Bench up to 165 X 3, 190 X 3, 215 X 3 (that was a struggle!)
Row 24 KG KB 12 X 3

Planned on DL'ing today but life just got in the way. I am on the ragged edge right now and know if I make the wrong move I will fall into the pit. Plus this morning was a bitch fest from the estrogen based life forms my wife was training. "My kids teacher is making him fail, she is to blame for everything, she told him not to read 4 books a night, I wish I could get him out of her class". Where is the personal responsibility one might ask...

Literally so close to snapping. I don't know how you professionals do it. That is why I only workout with people I choose!

Allen Yeh
05-13-2010, 05:16 AM
You mean it's not the teacher's fault? That just sounds ludacris!!!! Bad teachers only last 1 grade in the elementary years...bad parents last......well you know.

I love this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU

I'm not that old but I recall when I was back in school...teachers word were law...now parents will argue with teachers about everything because they think they are advocating for their child or some nonsense.

Derek Simonds
05-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Wow that brought tears to my eyes. That dude is convicted!

Derek Simonds
05-14-2010, 04:28 AM
13 May Thursday

BJJ Fundamentals: Would you believe that we did guillotine, guillotine defense, knee up guard pass, side control, mount, armbar.... Well yes that is what we did.

BJJ No-Gi: Continued with the leg control push your partner over passes. We worked one where you trapped inside leg with your leg pushed other leg back slid your knee under their butt and then switched hands and put hand that was on leg under the waist to take the back. It was ridiculously easy once you got the concept. I loved it.

Grappled 3 X 7 minute matches. Did not have the same level of opponents as Tuesday but all of them were at least blue belts. I got 2 subs each round and and really worked taking the back. I took the back in each match and got mount in 2 of them. In fact one of the guys was bigger than me and I got mount and was attacking his arms and he tapped. I said why did you tap and he said he felt like a fish out of water and that he was freaking out from how I was smothering him. Thats good pressure I think. ;) Me and Royce both now with a tapout via mount. Hehehe.

It was good training and was my 8th class in 6 days so I almost made my 10. I am taking today off and going to the kids school for their talent show. Laney choreographed her own gymnastics routine and is performing. Jr passed on the show. Tomorrow is the DeLaRiva Cup and I plan on competing there as my last tune up before state.

Derek Simonds
05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
15 May 2010 Saturday

DeLaRiva Cup

I cut weight and made it under 200 at 199.6 for the cruiserweight class. Ended up with nobody to fight at all. I told the tournament director I would fight this guy that was 265 and he would not allow it. So I ended up in the adult open division. I had a good draw as far as the bracket went but lost my first and only fight of the day.

The guy that beat me was a Judo black belt and had the absolute best base I have ever gone against. He won 3 to 0. If I am gonna have a loss like that I am glad it is out of the way now before state.

I will post video tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
05-16-2010, 12:02 PM
15 May 2010 Saturday

DeLaRiva Cup

I cut weight and made it under 200 at 199.6 for the cruiserweight class. Ended up with nobody to fight at all. I told the tournament director I would fight this guy that was 265 and he would not allow it. So I ended up in the adult open division. I had a good draw as far as the bracket went but lost my first and only fight of the day.

The guy that beat me was a Judo black belt and had the absolute best base I have ever gone against. He won 3 to 0. If I am gonna have a loss like that I am glad it is out of the way now before state.

I will post video tomorrow.

No shame in losing to a Judo black belt. My instructor, when I was still able to train, was a BJJ world champ who was a huge fan of Judo. The two styles make for a potent combination.

Derek Simonds
05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
No shame in losing to a Judo black belt. My instructor, when I was still able to train, was a BJJ world champ who was a huge fan of Judo. The two styles make for a potent combination.

Yes they do, Gant is a great example of the potency of the combination.

I have been thinking about the match all weekend, replaying it in my head and I finally know why I am so pissed. It is because the guy beat me with my own game. I am the king of the pressure, pass, control and win on points. What killed me was my inability to sweep or submit him from a closed guard. Whenever I went offensive with an open guard he countered with trying to pass. In closed guard he was good at defending attacks and sweeps but he made no moves to pass.

The good things were my work with Gant paid off and I didn't make this dudes highlight reel and my work with Fabio in half guard paid off in recovering butterfly and full guard.

Obvious things to work on right now, sweeps and submissions from closed guard. I play much more open guard at the academy and usually with good success. I will get the video up sometime in the next couple of days as I am heading for Vegas right now.

Last point. Cutting weight sucks. Not just sucks but sucks major. I don't think I will do this again. My moods have been all over the place and I definitely do not feel normal. I dropped from a solid 209 to 200 in one week. I am right at 201 now and that is what I need to maintain for the balance of the week. I am going to watch what I eat and drink in Vegas and hope for the best.

Derek Simonds
05-17-2010, 05:04 AM
17 May 2010

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 x 5, 75 x 5, 95 x 1, 110 x 5, 125 x 3, 140 x F

FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 1, 145 X 5, 165 x 3, 185 x 5 (PR)

Had the damn press 3/4 of the way and it just stopped. Wouldn't budge. That would have been an all time record! The FS were easy and I stopped at 5 since I am heading to the airport for a 5 hour plane ride.

I thought I busted a blood vessel in my right foot. Not sure as it isn't getting any better. Can't run and am walking with a limp. Going to get some cardio tonight on the bike. Hopefully I can swim the next two days at the hotel.

Ideally I will get over to Xtreme Coture for a training session but it all depends on scheduling.

Watch out Vegas here I come.

Gant Grimes
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Got your call Saturday. Good stuff, man. You need to come to Texas. If I get a few sessions with you, I can teach you how to prepare for and stifle a lot of the judo attacks. In your division, any experienced judoka is going to have a good base because he has spent so much time in turtle and closed guard. They will also be difficult to throw unless you outgrip them (a lot of them surprisingly suck at gripping). Remember the "working the clock" trick I showed you (right power hand lapel grip, backstep left, [opponent swings around], bury him with uchi mata)?

Your BJJ is good enough to where, if you start with an advantage, you will crush people.

Derek Weaver
05-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Think you can post video of the press at some point?

Derek Simonds
05-18-2010, 01:56 PM
I will take some video next week. I got a new camera on Sunday it is SWEET! It will shoot 10 frames in a second on burst mode. I imagine I will get some cool shots with it.

18 May 2010 Tuesday

Vegas Baby!

Slightly dehydrated from yesterday...

Band work
Push Up Plus
Lunges
Stretching

All in my hotel room. Got a nice set of movements and the blood flowing good.

Derek Simonds
05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
19 May 2010 Wednesday

D W/U
Treadmill 4 minutes

DB Incline 40, 50, 60 X 10 70 X 6, 80 X 3
DB Rows 50, 60, 70 , 80 X 10 80 X 12
60 LB BB Crush X 20 X 3

DB Press 25, 30, 35 X 10
Neutral Grip P/U 3 X 3
Face Pulls 60 LB's X 12 X 3

Cable Curls 60 LB's X 12 X 3
Triceps Pressdown 80 LB's X 12 X 3
80 LB DB Farmers Holds X 20 seconds X 3

Man we had a little too much fun last night. A) I am not used to staying up late and I was up way late and B) Apparently when everyone is taking turns buying drinks you can plan on working your way through every alcohol made. That is not good for the next day.

I bought a day pass to the gym for 17 dollars and guess what? They had no squat rack, no barbells and the only plate weight they had was for the smith machine. Kind of irritating after paying 17 bucks. Oh well just went with some upper body stuff.

Flying home early tomorrow and I am ready.

Derek Simonds
05-21-2010, 04:41 AM
20 May Thursday

BJJ with Rich. worked closed guard sweeps and submissions for 45 minutes non stop. Worked up a helluva good sweat and we only went at about 70%. I feel a lot better about my closed guard sweeps right now.

I am kind of pissed cause my foot is worse now. I caught my toes in Rich's gi and it is killing me.

I just weighed in with my gi on and I am at 203.2. That gives me a good margin for error and I can eat and drink fairly normally today.

Derek Weaver
05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
19 May 2010 Wednesday

D W/U
Treadmill 4 minutes

DB Incline 40, 50, 60 X 10 70 X 6, 80 X 3
DB Rows 50, 60, 70 , 80 X 10 80 X 12
60 LB BB Crush X 20 X 3

DB Press 25, 30, 35 X 10
Neutral Grip P/U 3 X 3
Face Pulls 60 LB's X 12 X 3

Cable Curls 60 LB's X 12 X 3
Triceps Pressdown 80 LB's X 12 X 3
80 LB DB Farmers Holds X 20 seconds X 3

Man we had a little too much fun last night. A) I am not used to staying up late and I was up way late and B) Apparently when everyone is taking turns buying drinks you can plan on working your way through every alcohol made. That is not good for the next day.

I bought a day pass to the gym for 17 dollars and guess what? They had no squat rack, no barbells and the only plate weight they had was for the smith machine. Kind of irritating after paying 17 bucks. Oh well just went with some upper body stuff.

Flying home early tomorrow and I am ready.

$17 for... not much? Where were you so I know not to go next time I hit Vegas.

By the way, nice effort on the booze. Was that drinks for time? What was the slop margin like? 20% or less?

Derek Simonds
05-22-2010, 04:21 AM
$17 for... not much? Where were you so I know not to go next time I hit Vegas.

By the way, nice effort on the booze. Was that drinks for time? What was the slop margin like? 20% or less?

$17 for the gym at the Mirage. And yeah it was drinks for time. We went from 5:30 to 2:00 non stop. My head hurts just remembering it.

Allen Yeh
05-22-2010, 07:33 AM
I recall there was a Golds a little further from the strip that was decent but this is going back years ago.....Vegas is fun....in doses like once every decade.

Derek Simonds
05-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Yesterday was the state championship and was able to beat the guys in my division for the title. I will have video from a buddy later today.

Typical day at a tourney filled with a whole lot of waiting around. Blue belts were the last division to fight and I hit the mat around 2:30. I made weight at 204.5 so I had 3 lb's to spare. I tried not to cut it to close but there was no scale available outside the tourney area so you couldn't check your weight throughout the day. I will carry a scale with me next year if I am that close.

I started warming up for my matches and got a decent sweat going. We tied up and the guy I was fighting was really solid. I didn't feel like I could get a throw or takedown so I pulled guard. When I did he immediately went for a choke and I armbared him from the guard. Match was over in 30 seconds.

Second match was with a guy slightly taller than me and he was strong. We danced around a little but I wasn't getting anywhere so I pulled guard again and went to work. It was a slow grind. He basically was playing defense and wasn't really pressuring me with attempts to pass. It was kind of a flash back to last weeks loss. He really protected himself in my guard. Well I went at him all kinds of different ways and as time was expiring I set up the scissors sweep. He defended well but I switched to the push sweep and got the 2 points. That was all that I needed and won the match with those points. One of my instructors Todd was way up on the railing next to the video camera and was screaming Attack, Attack, Attack. Another guy from our academy Cory who was working the tourney set down and coached me from the sidelines. It was real nice having him there.

Pretty exciting day and one of my good friends from Michigan is in town and got to see it all.

http://i50.tinypic.com/qpfhgi.jpg

The 3 other guys I train with all the time at the academy had a good showing we won a total of 4 gold medals and 2 silver medals between us. Not too shabby. I have to believe that Gracie Barra Orlando won the team title but don't know yet.

Derek Simonds
05-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Got another picture sent to me from the podium.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h7gbh3.jpg

Derek Weaver
05-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Very nice Derek! Sounds like a good time. Does that make last week's tournament a bit of a distant memory?

Derek Simonds
05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Derek it is a distant memory, but it is what got me the gold as this guy fought very similar to the last guy. So my practice this week really made the difference. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HoppyOne34#p/u/5/quwlSuY24CQ

The first fight is over by 30 seconds, you can fast forward to about 6:00 minutes before the second one gets interesting.

Derek Weaver
05-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Derek it is a distant memory, but it is what got me the gold as this guy fought very similar to the last guy. So my practice this week really made the difference. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HoppyOne34#p/u/5/quwlSuY24CQ

The first fight is over by 30 seconds, you can fast forward to about 6:00 minutes before the second one gets interesting.

Nice job turning a past failure into a positive. Also nice job on letting that armbar go quickly when your opponent tapped.

Nice job all around. When is the next competition?

Derek Simonds
05-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Nice job turning a past failure into a positive. Also nice job on letting that armbar go quickly when your opponent tapped.

Nice job all around. When is the next competition?

Thanks again Derek. The guy I tapped with the armbar was a class act. He it turns out is also a Judo BB and trains at an academy in Boca. He invited me down to train with them anytime I want and to a camp in NC this summer. I have been armbarred too many times where my opponent hasn't let go in a timely fashion. I was worried that I was in an awkward position when I let go and might hurt him. I was talking to him when I let go telling him which way I was going to move.

Derek Simonds
05-24-2010, 04:23 AM
24 May Monday

D W/U
Band Work
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 2, 115 X 5, 125 X 3, 140 X F
P/U 3 X 6

Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 175 X 10
KROCS! 50 X 10, 65 X 10, 75 X 10, 10, 20

FGBB Curlz 45, 55, 65, 75 X 10

Done and done. Steve is in town all week and took the animal award today with 140 X 5 and both Andy and me missed 140. We will be resetting press down to 130 next cycle.

Bench was easy peasy. Don't know why but I will take it. Gonna go to the academy tonight and then take the rest of the week off.

Derek Simonds
05-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Well best laid plans of mice and men and all that crap. My doctor had an opening at 4:00 last night so I went for my foot. Stress fracture 2nd metatarsal right foot. Absolutely nothing you can do for it. I am officially on doctors orders for no running for the next month. :D No argument from me there. He told me not to be a hero and to take it as easy as I can. Will do. I am gonna load up on the milk, spinach and fish oil (that aught to be a good combo) and just kind of chill. I am going to continue to train weights and bjj. Next week is going to be a total rest week now and maybe I will stretch that out to 10 days.

25 May 2010

Private with Mark and Fabio. Worked a ton of positional stuff in the half guard. Fabio pushed us hard. Mark is a great training partner so we worked many different angles. I try all kinds of crazy stuff when I train with Mark and Fabio so I was spinning out of half guard, rolling into the back and just generally doing stuff I would not try normally. Loads of fun for sure.

One of my training partners Rich just put together a compilation from this weekends tourney. Watch for the armbars, me at 1:58, Zach at 3:16 and Rich at 4:46. These are guys I train with every week. All 3 of us won gold medals. I am really proud of our academy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYFUo0dC7Yk

Derek Simonds
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
25 May 2010 (PM)

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6
Cossack Squats

FS 45 X 3,3,3 95 X 5, 135 X 1, 145 X 5, 165 X 3, 185 X 5 (PR)

It was a veritable grip cornucopia tonight!

CoC Trainer 30, 20, 10, 5, 3, 1 + 20 Second Holds X 2

Pinch Grip DL's 65 X 5 X a ton
Pinch Grip Curls 65 X 1 X 5
Pinch Grip DL, Curl, Press X 1 X 5

10 LB Plate Curls 12 X 4

2" V Bar 34 X 5, 75 X 5, 125 X 3, 150 X 1

Jacked around with some other stuff as well. FS just broke down on the 5th rep. I was leaning way forward and wobbling something fierce. Called it as that is an all time PR and no sense in getting hurt.

Derek Weaver
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice job on the front squats. I like them more and more for the stability component since the bar is set slightly off center, so to speak.

Derek Simonds
05-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Me as well. I think I am going to keep BS in for assistance but focus on FS for the remainder of the year.

Derek Simonds
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
26 May 2010 PM

Fundamentals focusing on single leg takedown, sprawl, turtle and taking the back. Love these moves and enjoyed working them.

Derek Simonds
05-27-2010, 04:31 AM
27 May 2010

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Bench 45 X 5, 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 2, 155 X 1, 180 X 5, 200 X 3, 225 X 1 (PR for weights across and 225 in an actual workout)
C/U 3 X 6

3 sets X 10 each
30 LB Hammer Curl
30 LB Press
Hindu P/U
20 LB Reverse Flyes

Throws from your butt with a 6 LB Med Ball X 30 X 2

Bench wasnt pretty but it went up and I kept my ass on the bench. Felt good to nail that in a workout. No DL's this week as my foot is way too tender.

Allen Yeh
05-27-2010, 06:07 AM
You accidentally added your last log post into my log, I've moved it for you. Looks like everything was moved.

Derek Simonds
05-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Allen you are a gentleman and a scholar. Apparently I need to pay better attention post workout! I thought I replied to your email but I guess I didn't and just started typing my log.

Derek Simonds
05-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Its 3:24 PM on Friday and I am moments away from bailing. I am grabbing a KB and some swimsuits and heading to the lake. I am going to be as low key as you can get for the next 3 days.

Y'all have fun and hold the fort down while I am gone.

Derek Simonds
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
What a weekend. Jr finished 4th grade with high academic honor roll, conduct honor roll and an award for art. He wanted his normal summer haircut but went a little more out there this year.

http://i48.tinypic.com/33bzmec.jpg

My new camera is teh awesomz but unfortunately I was driving most of the time so didn't get as many action shots as I had hoped for. Here are a couple

Laney is getting really comfortable on the water. She was zipping back and forth across the wake on her knee board no problem. A couple of times I even saw the bottom of her board! Here she is hamming it up on the tube.

http://i45.tinypic.com/aud0eu.jpg

Stinks that I didn't get pictures of Jr wakeboarding. He did so well it was silly, everyone was blown away at what he was doing this year. It was raining the entire time he was riding so no way to take pictures. Jr is really cranking the knee board. He finally got a 180 while jumping the wake and he was doing hand to hand flat water 360's. Here is a nice little pop.

http://i46.tinypic.com/wksprs.jpg

And finally the adults celebrated the second annual Steve's Day on Sunday with our team hot beam apparel.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2gx1r3a.jpg

I am fairly confident that I am still dehydrated, I know for a fact that I am not hungry. We ate like kings all weekend. Back at it today.

Kevin Perry
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
wow looks like you had a good weekend i'd say

Derek Simonds
06-03-2010, 03:52 AM
June 2 Wed PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Bear hug defense, butterfly guard lifts, butterfly guard sweep, armbar sweep, armbar

Fun class and I am still taking it easy with my foot. Better safe than sorry. My partner was a very new guy who passed gas twice while we were practicing. At least he admitted it and said sorry.

Derek Simonds
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
June 3rd Driving

I was stuck in a horrendous traffic jam and while sitting there I grabbed a brand new deck of cards to work some isometrics. Funny thing happened I shredded it, literally it tore in half like butter. Never had a tear like that before so I decided to go for a quarter. Guess what I got it no real struggle. First ever quarter. I tore the entire deck so 56 cards and then tore 53 in half again. Wow is all I can say.

http://i45.tinypic.com/w7kda1.jpg

Gant Grimes
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
A quarter as in 25 cents? Seems a hell of a lot harder than a deck of cards. At least you're working out your frustration in traffic.

Derek Simonds
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
A quarter as in 25 cents? Seems a hell of a lot harder than a deck of cards. At least you're working out your frustration in traffic.

Yes I was working out my frustrations. Wish I could tear a quarter that would be some kind of feat.

Gant Grimes
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I see what you're talking about now. You quartered the deck. Hell, I thought you ripped some coins in half. Still some solid work.

Derek Simonds
06-04-2010, 04:23 AM
Gant I seriously thought you were joking with me especially since I wasn't exactly clear on what I had done. I have been trying to quarter a deck ever since I learned how to tear one and yesterday was the first time it happened. My weakness for tearing the half into half again has been my thumb strength. Yesterday I found the right position so that I could lock my thumb and squeeze like hell with my opposing fingers.

4 June 2010 recovery workout

Band work
Foam rolling
Stretching

Bench up to 145 X 5

DB Curl + Press 30 LB's X 5 X 3

Plate Curl 10 LB's X 12 X 3

Indian Clubs 4 LB's X 5 minutes of swinging and levering

My workout partner wanted to train this morning so I was basically just dicking around in the garage. I skipped any pulling motions today as I am still sore from last weekends kneeboarding.

Derek Simonds
06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
04 June 2010 Lunch

BJJ Competition Class / Open Mat

One thing I learned today, it matters not how good of a jiu-jitsuero you are if you go to the ground with multiple opponents you are done!

Todd set us up 8 on 8 standing up and it was just a Royal Rumble. If you got tapped you were out. Last team with a member on the mat won. Our team decided that 2 guys, me and one other guy would go after the other teams black belts and tie them up and try to keep them standing, while we did that 2 groups of 3 guys would attack the lowest belt on the other team. Once they were done they would attack the next guy. Our strategy worked and we only lost one guy while dispatching all their guys. That was wild.

Grappled for 30 minutes and then Todd divided us up again by now there was 12 on 12. this time it was different 2 from each team went in and at each minute 2 more guys joined the fray. Well unfortunately for us our first two guys got tapped almost immediately that set up 4 on 2. One guy went down then it was 6 on 3 and all 3 went down. Then I went in with my partner and it was us against 8. I tried to run around and keep from getting taken down. I maybe made 30 seconds and two guys jumped on me from behind. So I turtled and a guy tried to get position on me and I locked down on his arm and was using him as a shield for my head while trying to get back up. That BTW is extremely hard to do when you have a different guy attacking each foot. At one point they all yanked me in different directions, briefly I had sympathy for people who were drawn and quartered. I did absolutely nothing except protect my neck and limbs for the next 3 minutes while getting jerked all around. I heard someone yell get him on his side. Next thing you know 3 guys were yanking me over and the fourth guy dove at me and ended up kneeing me right in the solar plexus. That was the beginning of the end. I tapped to an ankle lock.

Somewhere in that fray I got a black eye. The other thing I found interesting was the mob mentality. Guys that normally keep things in check were just going nuts when they were part of a group attacking one guy.

It was an absolute riot and I look forward to doing it again.

Gant Grimes
06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
One thing I learned today, it matters not how good of a jiu-jitsuero you are if you go to the ground with multiple opponents you are done!

Yeah, that's what I tell my guys when I teach them self-defense. "Congrats on the arm-bar. Here's a kick to the face."

I thought you were ripping up coins since you got all Diesel Crew on me. That can't be far away.

Derek Simonds
06-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Two picture updates. The first is some pictures from Jr's lacrosse practice. He absolutely loves lacrosse. I like that it is only one day a week right now. Check out the sequence where Jr is on a breakaway and Laney cartwheels right in front of the camera. Pretty much one of the best I have ever shot.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dereksimonds/2010MayLacrosseAndLastDayOfSchool?authkey=Gv1sRgCP qR25KIp8LOeg&feat=directlink

The second album is some random pictures from the kids gym show this weekend. I have video of all of Laney's events and Jr's mushroom demo. It amazes me that he could hardly do 5 circles in a row at the beginning of the year and now he is doing spindle flares consistently.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dereksimonds/2010JuneGymShow?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqYlJuJlbKXfw&feat=directlink

I will make a video as soon as I get some software that can handle editing 1080P HD on Windows 7. Right now every time I try and edit the software crashes. Kind of annoying.

Derek Simonds
06-07-2010, 06:12 AM
7 June 2010 Monday

Foam Rolling
RKC Armbar
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 85 X 5, 100 X 5, 115 X 10 (That is a huge PR)
P/U 6, 5, 4, 4, 3

Bench 45, 95, 135, 155, X 10, 185 X 5
FG DB Rows 50 X 10 X 4, 50 X 20

30 LB DB Curls 8 X 2
30 LB DB Lying Tricep Extension 6 X 2

WOW was I happy with the press. It just felt good today. After my shower I was still dripping with sweat. Heard on the radio on the way in that the heat index was going to be 101 to 105. No wonder I was sweating balls this morning.

Kevin Perry
06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
nice press pr

Derek Simonds
06-08-2010, 04:45 AM
7 June 2010 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: All about the double leg takedown. We worked the double for 45 minutes and finished with the kimura from guard.

BJJ Advanced: Worked the pick single and various defenses for an hour. It was basically non stop takedowns. One of the defenses was uchi mata. Not only could I nail the uchi mata defense but I was able to show uchi mata from a collar grab (thanks Gant) and hit it consistently with some big strong guys.

8 June Tuesday

Foam Rolling
Agile 4

FS 45, 45, 95, 135, 150, 170 X 5
V-Bar each hand 45 X 5, 90 X 5, 100, 110, 115 X 3

24 KG KB Swings 30 seconds on 30 off for 5 minutes alternating with my partner. I managed to get at least 15 swings every round. Pretty smoked afterwards. Not sure but I think it was a bazillion degrees in the garage already this morning.

And what would a post of mine be like if I didn't include some tearing... I think Gant called this me getting all Diesel Crew. I am proud of this tear as I am getting the technique down. You can see that the back of the book in my left hand is a clean shear at the start and that is what I am working for. That means that I am getting the right amount of pressure on the book before I start ripping.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2e3va6f.jpg

Derek Simonds
06-08-2010, 10:24 AM
08 Tuesday Lunch

Competition Class: Remember all that stuff we learned last night in advanced? Good line up we are drilling it live for the next hour.

Yep all takedowns all the time. It was shark tank style, 3 guys in middle, if you were in the middle you got to chose takedown or defense. I took the first guy down and then I stuck with the takedown the next 3 guys. Decided I needed to work defense and promptly got smashed to the mat. Rotated out came back defended and stayed in again for a couple of more guys working defense. Towards the end it was in and out pretty quick as everyone was improving dramatically.

I am still completely soaked in sweat even after a cold shower and full blown a/c.

Gant Grimes
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
BJJ Advanced: Worked the pick single and various defenses for an hour. It was basically non stop takedowns. One of the defenses was uchi mata. Not only could I nail the uchi mata defense but I was able to show uchi mata from a collar grab (thanks Gant) and hit it consistently with some big strong guys.

I couldn't throw this for crap before I was a brown belt. Now it's one of my favorites. It's certainly worth studying, and, if it's done right, there's no danger of having your back taken. There is, however, a very big chance of spiking your opponent into the mat and taking the wind out of his sails.

My favorite grips for uchi mata use a collar grab, underhook, or lat grip (where you squeeze the other guy's lat and skin). Once the footwork is right, uchi mata and harai goshi start to hum.

I'm about to film some different throws for 70sBig post. I'll get some extra footage on how to incorporate those into a BJJ game.

Derek Simonds
06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Hell yeah. I saw a video of a guy practicing foot work for uchi mata with a band and I have been jacking with that in my warmups. That collar grab you showed me with driving the head to the floor plays right into uchi mata. The one guy I grabbed his collar and started shoving my fist into his chin just like you showed me and as soon as he pushed back against me I drove his head down and spun into uchi mata and he went flying. I was pretty darn happy with it. I am going to work it more with my friend Mark and I will keep you posted. I also and going to look up harai goshi.

Derek Simonds
06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
09 June Wednesday Lunch

Fundamentals: Hey would you believe it was double leg takedowns again. My freaking legs are killing me. I finally figured out why. Takedowns are just high speed lunges. And we are doing them for 30 - 45 minutes at a time. No wonder I am so sore.

We also worked the kimura sweep. The guy I was training with was dying and I just wouldn't cut him any slack. He would lay on the ground after a takedown and get up real slowly while I was saying get up lets go. The last 5 minutes we did review and I made him go non stop.

Derek Simonds
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Here are some videos of Laney at the Fit Club Spring Show. Super proud of my girl. There is no editing as I haven't been able to find an editing app that will not freeze up with 1080P HD video on my laptop.

Bars Routine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsCR2QL6QOk

Floor Routine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-69EmglWo

Vault
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l758UVB77_Q

Beam Routine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvOIwIOeZ0

Derek Simonds
06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Here are the videos of Jr. The first video is him doing a demo on the mushroom and the second one he is jacking around on the high bar. It is so amazing what a difference a year has made in his skill.

Mushroom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JOyGstzfds

High Bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKVdkceljJM

Dave Coughlin
06-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey Derek, I think Winter Springs has a HG event every January. I have the Ocala Highland event on my calendar tentatively, and its in mid-september.

I'll try and dig up more info, when I dont have my 4 month-old attached to me....

Derek Simonds
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I found the Winter Springs event in Jan and I am good with that one. I also looked up the Ocala event and it is October 9th http://www.ocalascottishhighlandgames.com/. I am good with that one as well. I am going to buy a DVD with the throws on them so I can at least see what they are doing.

Dave what FD are you with?

9 June Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Would you believe that we did takedowns AGAIN. My legs are now on strike. I did work with a big strong guy and it was good practice. We also worked more on the kimura and kimura sweep.

Gant Grimes
06-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Here are your vids: http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=77090#post77090

Dave Coughlin
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Derek, I'm with Orange County, and my station is just north of Pine Hills;)

I think I'm going to start my progress on the CA log, so I'll be on here more. From my quick run-through of your log, it looks like you've made it up to Orlando a few times...I live about 5mins from the Gracey school downtown, although I don't do BJJ much.

Anyways, I'm a cheap SOB that will probably have a few DIY Highland Games implements made over the next month or so, so let me know if you get into my neck of the woods. I enjoy running on Wednesdays with the local runners group, and then cutting out mid-practice to pull my sled and clean sandbags....

Derek Simonds
06-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Will do Dave. I was explaining to a group of people I was working with in Nashville that the local residents lovingly refer to Pine Hills as Crime Hills...

I weighed myself for the first time since the tournament and I am at 209.8! I was quite pleased with this and when I mentioned to my wife that the next stop is 225 she said no. I am going to go with the frog in the pot analogy and if I keep putting on weight slowly maybe she won't notice...

Derek Weaver
06-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Will do Dave. I was explaining to a group of people I was working with in Nashville that the local residents lovingly refer to Pine Hills as Crime Hills...

I weighed myself for the first time since the tournament and I am at 209.8! I was quite pleased with this and when I mentioned to my wife that the next stop is 225 she said no. I am going to go with the frog in the pot analogy and if I keep putting on weight slowly maybe she won't notice...

209.8? Wow. You'll qualify for beast status soon.

Derek Simonds
06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
209.8? Wow. You'll qualify for beast status soon.

I need to get my strength up to match my weight and I will be good to go.

10 June 2010

BJJ Competition Class: Warm up consisted of run 3 laps partner up and do intervals of 1 minute grip fighting, 1 minute of takedowns or throws for 15 minutes.

Grappled for 20 minutes with different people then back to drilling.

Grappled 1 minute than switch. Each minute had different rules of engagement. 1st minute only submissions allowed were chokes. Each minute we would switch partners and Todd would call a new rule. It was exhausting. We did that for 10 minutes. I did however surprise one of our bb's by getting the pass to side control when the only way you could submit was from side. He pushed me off like I didn't weigh a thing. It was an interesting defense and I need to learn how he did it. I took his back from his defense but couldn't get him back to side. I never finished anyone in the time allotted.

Grappled one more time with a guy I used to train with all the time. He has put on a bunch of weight and is now 225. I was able to work patiently from closed guard I got a sweep, moved to his half and worked free of that to side control. I really focused on not using my grips anymore than absolutely needed and being patient and putting a lot of pressure on him. It was a good way to finish the week.

I am still sweating sitting here at my desk.

Derek Simonds
06-12-2010, 06:31 AM
12 June Saturday

Foam Roller
Band Work
RKC Armbars with shoulder retraction

Bench 160 X 5, 180 X 5, 205 X 3
C/U 6,5,4,4,3,2
DL 205 X 5, 250 X 5, 285 X 5

Plate curl 10 lb'er + 5 lb'er smooth sides out pinched X 10 X 2

The actual lifting part of the bench was no problem, unfortunately my wrist was killing me. It just hurt too much to continue. So I called it at 3. I think I have accumulated a little wear and tear during this weeks training. DL's were nice and easy after not doing them for a while. My foot cramped a little but there was no pain.

Derek Simonds
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
12 June Saturday Lunch

Judo: Worked on entries and harai goshi for an hour. Mark worked several variants and even showed me the harai goshi to osoto gari combo. I just worked harai goshi. Apparently I need to learn to throw a little easier with my training partners :D Laney and Derek took some pictures during Judo so we will see what we ended up with.

BJJ: Half guard passes: worked three variants first is my normal pass with face pressure. Second was a spin over and pull leg out. Third was spin over sit on their chest then drive your head under their legs and roll and take the back. I like the third one and it is definitely fun. Finished after class with some darce and brabo work.

I am outta here. Heading to the lake.

Derek Simonds
06-13-2010, 06:05 AM
A picture from practice yesterday. I need to stand up straighter and my pulling arm needs to be higher instead of low across my belly. The entire pull, enter, throw thing is tough for my brain to get for some reason.

http://i47.tinypic.com/11uhv2u.jpg

Gant Grimes
06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Nice! That's a hard fall on that floor.

You're closer to o guruma than harai (hip position), but you're making good progress on a difficult throw. Rather than go down the laundry list, try these two things:

1) point the toe on your right leg,
2) look at the coke machine when you're throwing.

Make those tweaks and you'll see a world of difference.

Derek Simonds
06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Gant. Mark kept telling me to look at the wall. I was trying to do that with pulling my arm that way as well. I really love learning this stuff.

Derek Weaver
06-13-2010, 08:04 PM
A picture from practice yesterday. I need to stand up straighter and my pulling arm needs to be higher instead of low across my belly. The entire pull, enter, throw thing is tough for my brain to get for some reason.

http://i47.tinypic.com/11uhv2u.jpg

That picture is awesome.

Derek Simonds
06-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks Derek. I have a couple more I will post.

14 June Monday

Worked out by myself today. Wife slept in and my workout partner is on vacation.

Band work
Foam rolling

Press 45 X 5, 75, 95, 105, 120 X 3
P/U 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2
Plate Curl 10 + 5 X 10 X 3 each arm

Front Squat 45, 95 X 5, 140, 160, 180 X 3
Nuetral Grip Moutain Climbers 2 X 5
BB Crush 45, 65 X 20 X 4
BB Flexion 45 X 20, 65 X 10 X 3

Drag Curlz 65 X 13

In and out. I hit everything in 50 minutes. For the neutral grip p/u's I put a narrow grip pull down handle over the p/u bar. That worked real nice. My goal for each round was to complete it in 1 song and be pressing or squatting when the next song started. That kept the pace up.

Derek Simonds
06-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Here is my training partner Mark hitting a nice soto makikomi or outside wrap around throw (or so I have been told :D) . This was when we were screwing around working on entries. Apparently I did something wrong...

http://i46.tinypic.com/v82ef8.jpg

That one stung a little!

Derek Simonds
06-15-2010, 04:02 AM
14 June Monday

BJJ Fundamentals: RNC defense with hip throw to armbar. Mount escapes. Rafael and me worked on multiple escapes. Mount escape to cross collar choke. Cross collar choke to armbar. That was a good series and shows how BJJ flows.

BJJ Advanced: All half guard passes. We worked multiple passes with pressure to the face. The last pass was a shove the knee back and head away pop up pass. I was practicing with a smaller guy and it just didn't give me the room to move. I will play with that more.

Grappled 3 matches 1 with a visitor from VA Beach. I let him attack me and played a whole bunch of defensive guard, guard recovery stuff and then we reset and I attacked him, passed to half guard then all the way to side. I have a fairly tight side control and I had him locked in tight and was working on my next move and Fabio said Derek don't hold positions let the game flow. I said yes sir just like my kids do when they don't want to do something and moved to mount. Afterwards I grappled with Rich but only from half guard. We stayed after class and worked for another 15 minutes on half guard stuff. I have to get better at attacking from half guard.

Derek Simonds
06-16-2010, 06:18 PM
16 June PM

BJJ Fundamentals: RNC Defense with throw and armbar, side control to mount to mount escape to cross collar choke in guard to armbar.

I think this gives the new guys at least a level of understanding that grappling is chess with your body.

Derek Simonds
06-17-2010, 06:57 AM
17 June Thursday

Band Work
Foam Rolling

Bench up to 170 X 3, 190 X 3, 220 X 2
C/U 6,5,5,4,3
DL up to 235 X 3, 265 X 3, 300 X 3

Drag Curlz 65 X 15

It is so hot I am having a hard time eating enough to support my level of activity. I should have had 3 on the bench but it just wasn't happening this morning. I went for 4 on the dl and my OH grip failed and I lost the weight right above my knees. That was a first for me.

I am going to finish out the 5/3/1 week next week and reset my weights down for the next cycle.

I have been on the phone with credit card, insurance and rental companies all morning dealing with that stupid hit and run from earlier in the year. Hopefully this will get everything resolved and I can put it behind me. Amazing the amount of red tape there is for something like this.

Heading to Ft Lauderdale for the weekend with Tracy. It is our 11th wedding anniversary and my best friend from high schools surprise 40th birthday party. Plan on sitting on the beach and bar hopping by water taxi. I am ready to go now.

Derek Simonds
06-19-2010, 02:27 PM
19 June 2010 Saturday 11th Wedding Anniversary!!!!!

Wifey and me have had a wonderful time at the beach. Got the complimentary diamond vip suite upgrade, slipped the bellman a nice tip for his work and he sent up a bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Great start to the weekend.

Basically been drinking for time since we got here. Decided today while Tracy was sleeping to get in a quick hotel workout.

All DB's: bench, row, curl, press, grip stuff and finished with some tricep pushdowns.

Now getting ready to go to my best friend from high school 40th surprise birthday party. It is an 80's themed party so should be fun.

Dave Coughlin
06-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Have fun at the beach, and happy anniversary. It's always good to hang out just wife and hubby every so often. Call it the magic of my own programming, but we'll be at the beach during my first deload week around the 4th.

Great photos BTW. BJJ just isn't in the cards for me right now, time-wise, maybe after my next promotion perhaps. I really liked wrestling in HS, college, and even a few open tournaments down here a few years ago...so the throwing aspect of BJJ I find really cool.

Derek Simonds
06-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Dave having wrestling as a base is a huge advantage in BJJ. If you ever want to do a trial just for kicks and giggles let me know and I will get you hooked up.

21 June 2010

Foam Rolling
DeFrancos Agile 6

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 2, 150 X 5, 170 X 3, 190 X 3 (PR)

Sumo DL 45 X 10, 135 X 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 275 X 1,1,1 / 1,1, / 1,1
6 LB Sledge Lever 5, 7, 7, 7, 7 (full length baby!)
4 LB Hammer rotation 6, 9, 10, 11, 12

24 KG KB Swings 30 on 30 off, 6 intervals 13 swings per interval.

The sumo DL's clicked on the third set of singles. I was able to find a setup that fits me. I am going to continue to work singles on FS days and gradually edge the weight up. The FS 3 on 190 was a PR and I will take it after this weekend.

The sledge levering was exciting as it was the first time I have done full length for reps. I am going to pick up an 8 LB sledge this week and move up.

Derek Weaver
06-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Cool stuff on the sledge. Happy Belated Father's Day and Anniversary.

Derek Simonds
06-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks Derek. I appreciate that. How are you doing?

21 June Monday

BJJ Fundamentals: upa, shrimp, turtle, side control shrimp to guard recovery, side control shrimp to double leg takedown, to guillotine escape, to arm triangle.

I also found out that I am on the Purple Belt test on Saturday. Exciting stuff. Just got to pass now.

Derek Weaver
06-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks Derek. I appreciate that. How are you doing?

21 June Monday

BJJ Fundamentals: upa, shrimp, turtle, side control shrimp to guard recovery, side control shrimp to double leg takedown, to guillotine escape, to arm triangle.

I also found out that I am on the Purple Belt test on Saturday. Exciting stuff. Just got to pass now.

Congrats on the Purple Belt test. Under my instructor, when I was still training, it was an honor just to be chosen to test, let alone actually passing.

As for me, beat, house goes on the market at the end of the week and there's a lot to do still. It's cool though. I'm training vicariously through all of your logs, Allen's, Kevin's, Gant's etc.

Keep up the good work here.

Derek Simonds
06-22-2010, 06:29 AM
22 June 2010 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Rolling
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 3, 125 X 5
P/U 7,5,5,4,3

Bench 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 135 X 12, 155 X 10 X 2
BB Flexion 45 X 20 X 4
BB Crush 65 X 20 X 4

EZ Curl Extension 11 X 20, 21 X 20 X 3
10 LB Plate Curl 12, 10 LB Bumper Plate Curl 7, 8, 10

Tore 37 cards behind my back! HA! This was at the end of the workout and my hands were pretty smoked already but figured what the hell lets give it a go. Jr apparently was working on this deck as some cards were already missing. I think it is harder to tear all the way through cleanly for me when it isn't a full deck. I was very pleased with the result. I should be able to do a full deck behind my back for my birthday this year.

On the bench I was surprisingly sore from my DB workout on Saturday. Man I wanted 6 on the press but got stuck right over my head. The bumper plate curls were a lot harder at first than the regular plate but I adapted quickly. I will add a 2.5 lb'er next week.

R. Alan Hester
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Well, well. I will not be able to speak to you anymore. Good luck.

Derek Simonds
06-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Well, well. I will not be able to speak to you anymore. Good luck.

Alan the belt changes nothing. I earn my keep working with anyone that has a desire.

22 June PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Wash Rinse Repeat.

Derek Simonds
06-24-2010, 04:10 AM
24 June Thursday

Moved Tracy's office last night to a new location in hopes that she can pick up some additional opportunities even though it costs more. I need to get her website fixed with the new location and some additional testimonials.

I was supposed to be part of something extraordinarily cool today and tomorrow but some internal conflicts at work are going to prevent that from happening. Really kind of bummed over it as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Oh well so be it. And just to cap things off I had an absolute butt ton of stress dumped on me in regards to business.

D W/U
Walked Lucy for 20 minutes while talking with my neighbor
Foam Roller

DL up to 315 X 1

My head just wasn't into it this morning. No matter what I did I kept coming back to work stuff. No since in fighting it. I am hitting the shower and heading in.

Allen Yeh
06-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Just one of those weeks it seems like.

Derek Simonds
06-25-2010, 04:18 AM
25 June Friday 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Rolling

Bench up to 185 X 5, 205 X 3, 230 X 1(Big Ass PR)
C/U 7,5,5,4,3,3

Press up to 95 X 12,10,10 (If that a'int a PR it is darn close)
Narrow Grip Pull Down Handle Mountain Climbers 4 X 3

75 LB DB Rows X 15
65 LB Drag Curlz X 13

Up at 4:00 couldn't sleep, Tracy and the kids left at 6:15 for FlipFest, I got a call last night and am heading to a client first thing so I am outta here!

Allen Yeh
06-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Nice PR, what is this -> Narrow Grip Pull Down Handle Mountain Climbers ?

Brian Stone
06-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Nice work on the PR!

Derek Simonds
06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Nice PR, what is this -> Narrow Grip Pull Down Handle Mountain Climbers ?

Ok way back when, Leo brought over one of those v shaped handles (the handles are probably only 4 inches apart) you use on a pulldown machine. I was going to cut it and re weld it to make farmers walk handles. That hasn't happened yet so what I do is take the handle put it over the pull up bar and do mountain climber pull ups. Mountain climbers are where you are facing the length of the bar and pull up to a shoulder. So I pull up head on the right and touch my left shoulder all the way down and reverse for the other side.

Thanks Brian that felt really good this morning.

So now that it is done I can tell you guys I was in a pilot for a reality TV show.... The show is not about me I was just a minor bit part today. It looks like there is an 85% chance it will get picked up and if it does I will have a recurring role, maybe even a bigger part. Just in case anyone ever wondered reality TV is far from it. Seeing as how I don't watch much TV and pride myself in not ever having watched a reality show except for Deadliest Catch it was quite the experience. As it progresses I will add more details.

25 June 2010 PM

Private with Rafael and Fabio. We trained all the elements that traditionally are on our Purple Belt test. We spent a little over an hour working specifically on that. Then Fabio just started busting out the goodness and we went another 45 minutes with him working all kinds of crazy stuff. Seriously he showed me 3 sweeps from closed guard I have never seen! I said ok so does this mean that we are in the club now and you can show us the secret shit? Cause that is what it felt like... He laughed and said I know I have shown this to you before. Well if he did my memory is for crap. I am going to go back and work on those three sweeps consistently cause they were money.

Derek Simonds
06-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Well it is official I am a Gracie Barra Purple Belt. I am also dehydrated and exhausted. Went to Chipotle and was surprisingly hungry and ate a bunch. I am thinking nap and cool frosty beverages this evening to celebrate.

http://i50.tinypic.com/24pw7ib.jpg

It was a freaking sauna in the academy today. When it is 105 heat index and 200 people in the building not much that you can do except sweat.

I nailed everything on the test, but I didn't feel as technical as I wanted to be. A friend recorded it and I will review it to see how I looked. My training partner Rafael threw me so hard on his first takedown that entire gym gasped. I was seeing stars for the next 5 minutes. I told him Rafa calm down you are killing me. He did. Our Purple test was longer and covered more stuff than the Brown belt test did. It was good to see the Brown belt test. Another friend went and took a bunch of photos so I will see what he got. He said that most of the pictures there is a black belt in the way. I will post whatever I can.

Dave Coughlin
06-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Congratulations on the purple belt, Derek. I trust last night's Chipotle never tasted better (double meat or nothing!), and frosted beverages always taste better asfter a hard day.

Gant Grimes
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Congratulations! That it an honor, and I know how hard you worked for it. Wear your purple belt with pride and just a bit of humility.

Derek Weaver
06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Congratulations Derek. Well done on the purple belt.

Allen Yeh
06-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Congrats.

Derek Simonds
06-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys. Gant phrased it well pride and humility.

Deload Week Yeah!

29 June Tuesday

Foam Rolling
Band Work

BS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5
Press 45 X 5, 5, 55 X 5, 65 X 5, 80 X 5
P/U's 7,6,6,5,4

BB Crush X 20 X 2
BB Flextion X 20 X 2

EZ Curl 16 LB Extension X 20 X 2
10 LB Bumper Plate Curl X 10 X 2

10 LB Sledge lever X 1 each hand

BS's are going back in this rotation and FS will be accessory work after DL. My left shoulder was not happy when I tried to get into position this morning on the BS. I am going to play with my hand position a little and see how it works out. I need to get the shoulder healed again.

Derek Weaver
06-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Good timing for a deload week.

Derek Simonds
06-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Well I didn't actually take the deload philosophy to the academy...

BJJ Fundamentals: Scissors sweep and two variants. Submission from triangle on a missed scissor sweep. Good basic setup I need to work more often... (this is foreshadowing if I was writing a book).

No-Gi: It was on like Donkey Kong tonight. Fabio wrote 12 submissions on pieces of paper and everyone had to draw a sub (there was 24 people in class so 12 drew then the other 12 drew), once you drew a sub that was all you could use for the rest of this exercise which was 3 5 minute matches. I drew the darce choke. Which was actually a good one for me to work. Hardest part was getting into my opponents half guard intentionally. Real easy when you don't mean to, but pretty hard to just slip into there. I was able to get it all three times, first time wasn't pretty but it grew on me. I really liked this exercise and told Fabin we need to do that more often.

Grappled 3 more 5 minute rounds and had some good movement. Really focused as usual on relaxing while in position and moving explosively when it is time. First match with Zach he used an arm drag to try and take my back that I ended up defending from a funky turtle, but man it was so fast I thought I am done for sure. Zach was playing a real open guard and working upside down a lot and I could not find away to pass at all. He swept me with basically a single from guard which was sneaky and I need to work on a defense for that.

Last two matches I just kept changing positions working from guard to mount non stop. It was pretty funny as I was working open guard and my opponent moved right into the triangle setup we were working in fundamentals, see I told you foreshadowing, and I sunk it deep and he was trying to fight out of it and I let him struggle for a little and then just locked it down for the tap. He is one of my friends and I was like what the hell didn't you pay attention in the first class and we laughed.

I am officially sore and tired. For whatever reason I tend to hurt more after a no-gi class then gi. A little food and of to sleepy land.

Derek Simonds
07-01-2010, 03:23 AM
30 June Wednesday 2010

BJJ Fundamentals: Same song second verse, English accent a little bit worse....

Came home ordered a meat lovers pizza from papa johns and got to work on the remaining items on my honey do list. Managed to get most everything done. Working at the largest Harley Davidson dealership in the world the next two days so should be interesting.

Tonight I am packing up and loading the boat for the lake. I also have the TV repair guy coming out to fix our tv downstairs. Apparently an amplifier went out. Makes watching tv a psychedelic experience. On that note I am very excited I got rid of cable effective July 6th and have switched over to ATT Uverse. Hopefully it will be a good service. Saving me over 70 a month for phone, internet and tv.

Derek Weaver
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Nice. When I was a kid we'd usually head to the lake for the 4th of July Weekend (assuming the 4th fell on a weekend that year).

Have fun at the lake.

Derek Simonds
07-02-2010, 04:06 AM
2 July Friday 2010

DeLoad Week

Foam Rolling
D W/U

DL 45 X 10, 135 x 5, 5, 165 x 5, 205 x 5
Bench 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 100 X 5, 120 X 5, 140 X 5
Chin Ups 7,6,6,5,4

BB Shrugs 135 X 15
BB Drag Curlz 45 X 12

Done and done.

Derek Simonds
07-07-2010, 05:27 AM
7 July 2010

As my friends from Boston would say I caught a wicked pissa summer cold last week that just kicked my ass over the weekend and the last couple of days. I am up in Quebec City and was just miserable Monday and Tuesday.

I have decided not to Weaver myself into a hole so I took an additional week or days off to get rid of this annoyance.

Back to regular scheduled programming soon.

Derek Weaver
07-07-2010, 10:09 AM
7 July 2010

As my friends from Boston would say I caught a wicked pissa summer cold last week that just kicked my ass over the weekend and the last couple of days. I am up in Quebec City and was just miserable Monday and Tuesday.

I have decided not to Weaver myself into a hole so I took an additional week or days off to get rid of this annoyance.

Back to regular scheduled programming soon.

Nice, don't Weaver yourself. Glad someone has better sense than I do when it comes to this stuff.

Feel better soon. I can't be the only Derek posting in these logs.

Derek Simonds
07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
9 July 2010

Well first competition class as a purple belt and not training for a while didn't go exactly how I would have hoped... totally lacked any explosiveness today, probably as a result of healing up from the cold I had.

In fact it was a tapapalooza! And by that I mean I was tapping every 5 minutes. Boy howdy was it some good business today.

Trained with one of our pro mma guys who is 220 and he tapped me once with a straight ankle lock and once with a knee bar off de la riva. Both times I tapped without trying to escape as I have never worked live rolling with leg locks except in Nashville. I played with the entries into both of the moves he did and they were super simple. I am going to need to get serious about working leg locks and escapes.

Second set of taps was with another pro mma guy who also happens to be the SE ADCC champ. We rolled no-gi and went for around 20 minutes total. I gave him some good movement but when he is ready for a submission he just explodes into it. Last tap from him he took my back and got me in a RNC.

Final round went with another purple who was my size. We had a great go up until I caught a knee in the right temple as I was spinning under him and he was trying drop his knee to pass.

All in all it was great to be back on the mat and great to roll with some incredibly talented guys.

I think I am going to do a deload week next week to work back into lifting. Probably go with 3 days and press and squat on Monday.

Leon Robotham
07-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Hey Derek,

loving your log and i'm sure i'm going to learn a lot from your BJJ entries. Are you a member of the GB Orlando team that tore it up at the Pan Ams this year?

I hope that knee to the head wasn't too crazy, they sting a bit eh!?

Derek Simonds
07-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Hey Derek,

loving your log and i'm sure i'm going to learn a lot from your BJJ entries. Are you a member of the GB Orlando team that tore it up at the Pan Ams this year?

I hope that knee to the head wasn't too crazy, they sting a bit eh!?

I didn't go to Pan Ams this year but that is our team.

Derek Simonds
07-10-2010, 07:03 AM
10 July 2010

Going to Deload to get back into the groove

HPC 45 X 5 X 4, 55 X 5, 65 X 5, 75 X 5
Press 45 X 5 X 4, 55 X 5, 65 X 5, 75 X 5

16 KG KB Ladders 3,2,1 X 3
P/U 4 X 3

Plate Curls 10 LB X 10, 10 LB Bumper X 10

1 Hand BB Snatch X 1 X 3 (don't know why I did this just decided it would be fun)

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5, 205 X 5

Off to BJJ

Leon Robotham
07-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Awesome :) I'm guessing the time spent competition sparring over at GB Orlando must be some of the longest minutes of your life. I see you recently got your purple, congrats. How long have you been rolling now?

Derek Simonds
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Awesome :) I'm guessing the time spent competition sparring over at GB Orlando must be some of the longest minutes of your life. I see you recently got your purple, congrats. How long have you been rolling now?

We have several world champions at different belt levels that train at our academy. We also have a really good pro mma team that trains during the competition class. It makes for a great environment.

I have been training going on 4 years. I started November 2006.

Private with Fabio and Rafael

Worked on taking the back from closed guard and defending double leg stack pass. I had a breakthrough on taking the back as I was missing one key element getting my arm across the back into a good strong grip on the lapel under the opposite side shoulder. That single point changed everything for me.

Rafael wanted to work on the double leg stack defense so mostly I was a tackling dummy during that point of the class. The most important part of the defense we worked on was getting the legs spread, swimming backwards and trapping one arm so you can take the back. A very difficult movement to describe in words.

All Levels

Worked basic taking the back from closed guard, same movement to armbar sweep and same movement to triangle.

Finished with 20 minutes of Judo with Mark. We worked on a move from a stiff power arm. It was the move where you swim over with your opposite arm trapping the power arm while rolling forward to take your opponent down. This is a solid throw and worked well for me. I will go ahead and practice this some and see where it takes me.

Off to the lake with the kids.

Derek Simonds
07-12-2010, 03:58 AM
12 Monday July 2010

D W/U
Foam Rolling
15 Minutes Band Work

So Sayeth the Gospel of Tate: "One doeth not counteth work performeth under 50 percent of 1RM when working on formeth"

BS: 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5,5, 135 X 5,5, 155 X 5

Bench 45 X 10,5,5 95 X 5,5, 135 X 5, 145 X 5

I need to get the kids off to surf camp so off to shower and cook breakfast.

Derek Simonds
07-12-2010, 06:15 AM
This is the throw I was working on after practice on Saturday

http://judoinfo.com/makikomi.htm

I am thinking that this has a place in my stand up game. I will work it more this week and see how it fits.

Leon Robotham
07-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Hey Derek

Sounds like it's awesome place to learn and clearly one of the best GB's in the world.

The Judo throw that you were learning is very similar to what we learned, except we wrapped underneath the outside arm. The rest of the mechanics remain the same though, it's a nice throw. Roger seems to use it a lot.

Derek Simonds
07-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Hey Derek

Sounds like it's awesome place to learn and clearly one of the best GB's in the world.

The Judo throw that you were learning is very similar to what we learned, except we wrapped underneath the outside arm. The rest of the mechanics remain the same though, it's a nice throw. Roger seems to use it a lot.

A lot of the throws in Judo have a similar dynamic movement. Part of my learning process is simply getting the feet to do what I want them to do.

Derek Simonds
07-13-2010, 04:08 AM
12 July Monday PM

Fundamentals: Escape from standing headlock using chin to headlock escape on ground to knee on belly to mount to keylock. I worked with a big police officer and he never had understood KOB and I showed him a little bit of the pressure you can create by actively driving your knee into the solar plexus area. He was amazed and began to work it much harder once he understood.

Advanced: Jump to guard to slide to ground open guard both legs sweep, slide to ground to hip bump sweep to slide to ground roll into turtle to single leg. Finished the drilling and did monkey in the middle from closed guard. Bottom guy sweep or submit top guy pass. I passed the first guy after about 4 minutes and then stayed in the rest of the time. I worked all sweeps except one armbar on a white belt who insisted on locking his arm straight out towards the top of my gi. I even told him not to do that while we were rolling. I tried to take the back using the sweeps from Saturday but I didn't pull it off yet. I will continue working.

Rolled with another pro mma team member who is moving up in weight and is the closest in the academy to my size height and weight. He was exploding everywhere but I was controlling the fight. Never could get the sub but was able to move positions at will. I sat out for an ankle lock right as time expired. Rolled with a couple of blue belts who were smaller and I would work position get set up on a sub and let them escape and I just kept playing that back and forth trying not to just crush them with my size. Still never got the back sweep. It will happen though. Good training and I ended up seriously dehydrated.

13 July Tuesday 2010

25 minute 2 dog patrol + 40 LB Weight Vest, my bitch lab is getting out of shape from not getting enough long walks. So I committed to taking her at least 2 times per week for longer walks plus it will be good for me to start building up a better cardio base.

I am going to pack and go with my daughter to surf camp for a couple of hours then flying to Canada for meetings tomorrow.

Leon Robotham
07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
12 July Monday PM

Fundamentals: Escape from standing headlock using chin to headlock escape on ground to knee on belly to mount to keylock. I worked with a big police officer and he never had understood KOB and I showed him a little bit of the pressure you can create by actively driving your knee into the solar plexus area. He was amazed and began to work it much harder once he understood.

Advanced: Jump to guard to slide to ground open guard both legs sweep, slide to ground to hip bump sweep to slide to ground roll into turtle to single leg. Finished the drilling and did monkey in the middle from closed guard. Bottom guy sweep or submit top guy pass. I passed the first guy after about 4 minutes and then stayed in the rest of the time. I worked all sweeps except one armbar on a white belt who insisted on locking his arm straight out towards the top of my gi. I even told him not to do that while we were rolling. I tried to take the back using the sweeps from Saturday but I didn't pull it off yet. I will continue working.

Rolled with another pro mma team member who is moving up in weight and is the closest in the academy to my size height and weight. He was exploding everywhere but I was controlling the fight. Never could get the sub but was able to move positions at will. I sat out for an ankle lock right as time expired. Rolled with a couple of blue belts who were smaller and I would work position get set up on a sub and let them escape and I just kept playing that back and forth trying not to just crush them with my size. Still never got the back sweep. It will happen though. Good training and I ended up seriously dehydrated.

13 July Tuesday 2010

25 minute 2 dog patrol + 40 LB Weight Vest, my bitch lab is getting out of shape from not getting enough long walks. So I committed to taking her at least 2 times per week for longer walks plus it will be good for me to start building up a better cardio base.

I am going to pack and go with my daughter to surf camp for a couple of hours then flying to Canada for meetings tomorrow.

Oh no, you didn't just teach a big guy all about KOB pressure?! We have a 19.5 stone beast of a guy who goes to competition and subs people with a KOB! I've felt it and tapped, it is not nice haha.

Derek Simonds
07-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Oh no, you didn't just teach a big guy all about KOB pressure?! We have a 19.5 stone beast of a guy who goes to competition and subs people with a KOB! I've felt it and tapped, it is not nice haha.

I did, sigh... He promised to only use it subduing people who deserved it for work.

Yesterday was interesting swam in the Atlantic with my daughter and niece at surf camp then spent the next 15 hours trying to get to Toronto. Sometimes travel just down right sucks!

I am here and heading off to my meetings back at it tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
07-15-2010, 07:19 AM
15 July 2010

Another just downright miserable day of travel. Supposed to be home by 8 ended up getting home after midnight. What a pain in the arse.

Short 2 dog patrol
D W/U
Band Work

Bench 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5,5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 175 X 3
Chin Ups 4 X 5

DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5
FS 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

5 Hours of sleep two nights in a row just doesn't agree with me anymore. Last recovery workout and back to the grind full time next week. Hoping to train BJJ the next 3 days and do a little competitive carbine shooting on Sunday.

Funny story. On Tuesday when I walked to dogs I wore my 40 LB Vest. One of the ladies that works out with Tracy brought her sister along who is in from out of town. I noticed that she was looked at me funny a couple of times as I walked in and out of the garage. Apparently after they left she asked her sister what kind of people she is training with if I needed to wear a bulletproof vest to walk the dogs in the morning. That is some funny stuff right there. Luckily our friend was able to explain what the vest actually was and her sister found it amusing afterwards.

Leon Robotham
07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm laughing my ass off at your funny story.... Yeah midway through squats and deads people take pot-shots at us hahaha.

I'm glad the big fella promised only to use it for that reason, any other time and that would just be ungodly.

Question: How do you find your recovery when you do lifts and then BJJ like you did this weekend?

Derek Simonds
07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Leon I think I have attached a BJJ Game Plan document from John Will. Here is a link to his blog. http://bjj-australia.blogspot.com/ He is a fantastic read and gave me the idea originally about how to look at my game from each position.

On the recovery side it all just depends. Most often Saturday is DL day for me. That can make BJJ a little more challenging. On the recovery side my biggest struggle on Saturday is food and water. I usually don't eat before lifting and then it is hard to eat between lifting and BJJ so I end up with a lot less food then normal. Lately since the kids are on summer break we have been go, go going all weekend but I try and squeeze in a nap on Saturday or Sunday to catch a little extra sleep. All in all my recovery isn't too bad. I kind of worked into this pattern over the last year and it fits. I have been trying to coordinate my days off so that 2 days a week I do absolutely nothing and that has also helped.

I have found lately that a 2 1/2 to 3 hour BJJ session does a lot more damage to me then heavy lifting and an hour of BJJ.

Derek Simonds
07-16-2010, 06:58 AM
15 July 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Headlock escape, headlock break, open guard foot on hips leg drop sweep, half guard pass, half guard pass to key lock

No-Gi: Side control wizzer to spin to other side, side control wizzer to arm drag, half guard d'arce, half guard baseball choke.

I have never felt a baseball choke like what Fabin did to me. When he did it he started by doing a crank to direct pressure on my sternum with the arm and basically just drove it along my ribs into the neck. Muy bad!

I worked with a 50'ish mother who is there with her daughter and this is the their first week. They never should have been in this class. Oh well. Several funny things from this. I decided that we would just work side control instead of the other moves since she didn't even know what or how side control worked. So I showed her the correct posture and positioning. When it was her turn she was kind of doing it but was trying to avoid pushing on me with her breasts. Obviously that doesn't work. I explained to her sternum to sternum pressure and how that it was ok that we had different accessories bolted to our chests. Then as we were working on position I realized that not only did she not have a rash guard on but she was wearing a regular bra. Sooo then I decided that it was time to have a clothing conversation with her. I explained that most of the female grapplers I know swear by a tight sports bra and an even tighter rash guard on top to keep everything in place. When it was time to grapple Fabio asked me to just roll with her and let her move. So we did. I was dying laughing as she was just jumping all over me. I worked with her and told her just to relax and I think that she enjoyed class.

I grappled with a guy that is on the MMA team and trains mainly down at the Kissimmee location. Since I never grappled with him before I asked about how comfortable he was and he said very so we went at it. I pulled into a butterfly guard and started working sweeps. He jumped back and tried to stand to pass. So I went to de la riva and swept him. He jumped back up and started trying to pass again and I caught his wrist and pulled him in to open guard. Not sure why but he reached for an ankle and I slapped on a triangle that I knew was locked down. Before I cranked I asked him what he wanted me to do and he said he was fine so I tightened it up for the tap. We went again and I passed to mount and slid off for the baseball choke from class. We went one more time and I passed to his back. I was completely relaxed and the moves were just flowing it was nice.

I then grappled with one of the blue belts that mainly trains downtown. I was able to pass to mount and secure an arm triangle. As we restarted he was moving like a mad man and I thought he was going to get around my open guard but somehow when he put his knee down along side my body I saw the pass to back that I had been working on last week and took it. That felt great as it was the first time it had worked in live grappling. I finished with a RNC. We did an AAR and I asked him what he was trying to do both for me and him when I got his back and he was trying to do the opposite leg over my leg pass. I will watch for that more often now.

I really enjoyed tonight and was super tired the whole time from travel. I think that made me work just a little differently. I am going to think on that some.

Gant Grimes
07-16-2010, 07:10 AM
LOL @ working with the woman. I bet you were cursing the tight BJJ gi at that point.

I'll be in Monday if you're around. I haven't trained this week because of work (and my nagging rib injury), so I need to get some mat time.

Have a good weekend.

Derek Simonds
07-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Just scored 3 kegs from some friends that are closing a cigar bar. Two are empty and one is probably half full of an energy drink. I carried the half full one about 100 yards to load it and thought hmm now I see why people like working with these things. I am so looking forward to throwing them around tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
07-17-2010, 05:25 AM
July 17 Saturday

My wife and a friend have a garage sale going on today. I am refusing to have anything to do with it on GP.

1.5 mile, 40 LB Vest 2 dog patrol

Nice walk this morning. I kept the pace up but never to the point of breathing hard.

Derek Simonds
07-17-2010, 12:15 PM
17 July Saturday

BJJ All Levels:

Grappled for about 30 minutes with a friend before class.

Class we worked on de la riva sweep, de la riva sweep to leg over turtle sweep and finally de la riva sweep to leg over to back into triangle. I worked with a really cool guy named Adam that trains at the Gracie Barra in Chino CA. He is a CSCS and was here for the big fitness conference going on. We talked a little fitness and I grappled with him in class and afterwards. Interestingly enough the leg over and back to triangle is not easy but sets up well, most people to defend it over compensate and give up the omo plata. I have never got an omo plata in live grappling before today. It just is almost a natural follow through in these positions.

In grappling after class I focused on the sweep to pass using the gi that I have been working on and nailed it twice! That made today worthwhile.

Leon Robotham
07-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Hey Derek

Hope you've had a good weekend?, I also seem to suffer most after a lengthy intense BJJ session than I would do from ME+Metcon or ME + Light BJJ. I ache from head to toe after saturday sessions! This weekend I've not been able to train because I went up to the lake district with my partner to celebrate her birthday with her folks, lots of good food, rum and dancing :)

The BJJ coaches at our box have decided to start blogging about all things BJJ, whether it be info on techniques, advice on buying gi's, instructionals or whatever they'll be writing about it. Hywel is responsible for editing the international Fighters Only Magazine so it should grow to be something special.

http://faktorybjj.tumblr.com/ wfs

Hope you like it.

Derek Simonds
07-19-2010, 04:19 AM
July 19 Monday 2010

D W/U
Band Work

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 70, 95, 105 X 5 115 X 6
P/U 6 X 6

Bench 45, 95, 135 X 12
FGDBR 50 X 12 X 3

I am not sure who to call to report this but we had a localized occurrence of high gravity at the Simonds Garage Gym this morning. Bizarre but everything was super heavy. Probably the sugar hangover I have from birthday dinner last night contributed to my overall lack of strength.

Leon I subscribed to the blog. Thanks.

Leon Robotham
07-19-2010, 06:49 AM
July 19 Monday 2010

D W/U
Band Work

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 70, 95, 105 X 5 115 X 6
P/U 6 X 6

Bench 45, 95, 135 X 12
FGDBR 50 X 12 X 3

I am not sure who to call to report this but we had a localized occurrence of high gravity at the Simonds Garage Gym this morning. Bizarre but everything was super heavy. Probably the sugar hangover I have from birthday dinner last night contributed to my overall lack of strength.

Leon I subscribed to the blog. Thanks.

Definitely the sugar hangover, that happens to me everytime I binge on crappy food or have fun with rum. I just resign myself to the fact that i'll not be doing anything impressive for a while and tick off my numbers.

Thanks for subscribing.

Leon Robotham
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Leon I think I have attached a BJJ Game Plan document from John Will. Here is a link to his blog. http://bjj-australia.blogspot.com/ He is a fantastic read and gave me the idea originally about how to look at my game from each position.

On the recovery side it all just depends. Most often Saturday is DL day for me. That can make BJJ a little more challenging. On the recovery side my biggest struggle on Saturday is food and water. I usually don't eat before lifting and then it is hard to eat between lifting and BJJ so I end up with a lot less food then normal. Lately since the kids are on summer break we have been go, go going all weekend but I try and squeeze in a nap on Saturday or Sunday to catch a little extra sleep. All in all my recovery isn't too bad. I kind of worked into this pattern over the last year and it fits. I have been trying to coordinate my days off so that 2 days a week I do absolutely nothing and that has also helped.

I have found lately that a 2 1/2 to 3 hour BJJ session does a lot more damage to me then heavy lifting and an hour of BJJ.

Thank you very much for the chart and the link to the site. I'm not sure that I can develop a plan with as many options as what's available on the chart just yet, but it will serve as a good template.

Derek Simonds
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
July 19 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Fabio hurt his back earlier in the day so our academies head instructor taught class tonight. This is the first time I have ever been instructed by Prof. Gucchi. Wow is all I can say. Single leg takedown, sprawl, turtle, taking the back, clock choke and RNC. Bam, bam, bam. I was selected to be the uke and it was a real treat.

BJJ Advanced: Umm yeah we got worked. Seonage, seonage in a line where your opponent pushed you and when you felt it you went for the throw, double under stack pass, to frame defense, to recovering the guard, to sweep to armlock.

This was a great drill for me as I use this recovery method a lot and was able to fit a little polish on it. Primary recovery was to frame, shrimp out and come back with top leg over neck and bottom leg across belly with foot preventing them from escaping. Drive down with calf of top leg and pull opponent forward to setup rest of moves.

Prof. Gucchi had us practice and then live drill every position it was a great workout.

Dave Coughlin
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I definitely hear you on the sugar hangover, Derek. You just needed a reset in the garage gym. I put on a considerable amount of weight the first six months after our daughter was born; although I was able to slowly whiddle away at it. Our son just turned 6mos last week, so hopefully I'll start the journey back to 225# again.

I was planning on ambushing you guys' post-BJJ Chipotle-fest tonight; maybe another time.

What's your weight sitting at? I'm sure I could find it on your log, but I'm feeling rather lazy (and ADD apparently from these random posts).

We are like-minded gentlemen on our views of helping out with garage sales...

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Post BJJ Chipotle got postponed for all of us. PM me and I will send you my cell number and any night I am over there I am always game for a feeding after training.

My stress level and diet have both been crappy this past couple of weeks and I have accidentally lost about 10 LB's. I am right at 200. Last night dehydrated after training I was down to 196. I have a tournament this weekend and I need to look at the weight classes to make sure I don't screw myself by being too light.

I just looked and the weight class I am in is 190 to 209.9. I would like to be a little heavier but I guess I don't need to worry about making weight. :rolleyes:

I also put my heart rate monitor on this morning to see where I am at as far as my RHR goes and it was 73 to 80 while sitting on the bed. I am going to track my RHR in the mornings that I am walking or running with the dogs to gauge my rate of recovery and hopefully some improvements in conditioning.

I am a little more than half way done with Ultimate MMA Conditioning and I doubt I will change my workout plan much other than adding in heart rate work. I will report back after finishing it.

Allen Yeh
07-20-2010, 04:09 AM
73 to 80 seems high? I'm usually in the low 60's and with as much BJJ you do it's got to be lower!

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 04:38 AM
I have always had a high RHR. Probably a sign that I am not in that good of cardio condition to begin with. Even when I was training exclusively for triathlons I don't think I ever got much below 65. I am going to seriously give a go at the HR training in Joel's book and see what that does for me on my resting HR and gas in the tank for BJJ.

40 LB Vest + 2 Dog for more then 1.5 miles = 32:48 at an average HR of 133. I did at least 6 30 to 50 yard jog, run kind of thingys. I am not sure I want to start running in the vest but I was making sure that I kept my average HR up over 130. When I finished my HR was 141 and I was very pleased that as soon as I stopped my HR was back down under 110 in less than 2 minutes. So that was at least a positive.

Just to let everyone know I am officially in the 7 day count down window to my 40th Birthday. I told my wife I am not sure yet if I am going to have a mid life crisis but will let her know accordingly. Not sure she found it as humorous as I did. I am probably going to end up taking another rest week around my birthday to go do some lobstering in the Keys. I am still working on the details. All I can say is watch out!

Allen Yeh
07-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Interesting about the RHR thing, it probably doesn't mean crap. I just thought it'd be lower, wondering if the RHR just meant you were in a stressed/overtrained state.

The latest thread about Joel and his book has me interested but the book is $$ on top of having to get a decent HR monitor too! I know I used to have one laying around but at this point it's probably in a landfill, about a decade plus since I've used it.

Look out Ferrari dealer here Derek comes!

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
I will mail you the book when I get done with it so you can read it. I am on the same page with you about over trained / under recovered and that is why I am going to track my HR upon waking for a while to see if I can improve and how it relates to my overall sense of well being. I would like to be more in tune with my body that way.

Luckily the Ferrari dealer is a client and he sells Maserattis so....

Derek Weaver
07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
High heart rate definitely sounds like a touch of overtraining/over reaching.

Good call on the rest week coming up.

Are you thinking of doing the B-Day TSC actually on your birthday or another day?

Gant Grimes
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
July 19 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Fabio hurt his back earlier in the day so our academies head instructor taught class tonight. This is the first time I have ever been instructed by Prof. Gucchi. Wow is all I can say. Single leg takedown, sprawl, turtle, taking the back, clock choke and RNC. Bam, bam, bam. I was selected to be the uke and it was a real treat.

BJJ Advanced: Umm yeah we got worked. Seonage, seonage in a line where your opponent pushed you and when you felt it you went for the throw, double under stack pass, to frame defense, to recovering the guard, to sweep to armlock.

This was a great drill for me as I use this recovery method a lot and was able to fit a little polish on it. Primary recovery was to frame, shrimp out and come back with top leg over neck and bottom leg across belly with foot preventing them from escaping. Drive down with calf of top leg and pull opponent forward to setup rest of moves.

Prof. Gucchi had us practice and then live drill every position it was a great workout.

Sounds like I missed a good one. Hope you get the HR sorted soon. Beer and relaxation usually helps mine. And I mean real relaxation, not the Derek version. Even when you relax, you're still going hard.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
High heart rate definitely sounds like a touch of overtraining/over reaching.

Good call on the rest week coming up.

Are you thinking of doing the B-Day TSC actually on your birthday or another day?

Looking like it is going to be that Monday 26th or Tuesday 27th. If I am heading to the Keys on Wednesday like I am planning then I probably am going to hit it up on Monday. I will let you know as the week progresses.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Sounds like I missed a good one. Hope you get the HR sorted soon. Beer and relaxation usually helps mine. And I mean real relaxation, not the Derek version. Even when you relax, you're still going hard.

It was a good one and I was truly was honored to be the uke for both classes.

I am really trying to relax better. I haven't even brought a KB with me on my last couple of mini trips. I told my wife that beer and naps were top of the list of things that would be occurring over the next 11 days.

I have a tournament this weekend and the TSC on Monday and then I am pulling the plug until August.

Derek Weaver
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Looking like it is going to be that Monday 26th or Tuesday 27th. If I am heading to the Keys on Wednesday like I am planning then I probably am going to hit it up on Monday. I will let you know as the week progresses.

Cool. I vote for Monday just to get it out of the way, but really have no other reason if you want to do it Tuesday. I'll check in throughout the week, like usual and we'll get it going.

Allen Yeh
07-21-2010, 03:25 AM
I will mail you the book when I get done with it so you can read it. I am on the same page with you about over trained / under recovered and that is why I am going to track my HR upon waking for a while to see if I can improve and how it relates to my overall sense of well being. I would like to be more in tune with my body that way.

Luckily the Ferrari dealer is a client and he sells Maserattis so....

Sweet so one car of each!

Derek Simonds
07-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Sweet so one car of each!

Too bad I am so cheap.

21 July Wednesday 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk 1/2 Mile
Foam Rolling
Some of Agile 6

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 185 X 5, 210 X 5
BB Crush 55 X 20, 65 X 20,20, 75 X 20
BB Standing Flexion 55 X 20,20,20, 65 X 20

Sumo DL 45 X 5, 135 X 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 275 X 2 X 5
EZ Curl Extension 22 X 20 X 4
10 LB Sledge Lever 3 X 4 each side

BS was not heavy on my legs at all. Unfortunately it was heavy on my back. I just couldn't find a comfortable spot today. Sumo's were done as singles lift, step back, reset, lift again. Focused on technique. Weight was fine move up to 315 next time.

Because of my eating habits the last couple of weeks I am adding in at least one protein shake a day. My BJJ instructor Fabio is hurt pretty bad. Sounds like he could have a pinched nerve. I will talk to him today and see how he is doing but he was miserable yesterday.

Leon Robotham
07-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Too bad I am so cheap.

21 July Wednesday 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk 1/2 Mile
Foam Rolling
Some of Agile 6

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 185 X 5, 210 X 5
BB Crush 55 X 20, 65 X 20,20, 75 X 20
BB Standing Flexion 55 X 20,20,20, 65 X 20

Sumo DL 45 X 5, 135 X 3, 185 X 3, 225 X 3, 275 X 2 X 5
EZ Curl Extension 22 X 20 X 4
10 LB Sledge Lever 3 X 4 each side

BS was not heavy on my legs at all. Unfortunately it was heavy on my back. I just couldn't find a comfortable spot today. Sumo's were done as singles lift, step back, reset, lift again. Focused on technique. Weight was fine move up to 315 next time.

Because of my eating habits the last couple of weeks I am adding in at least one protein shake a day. My BJJ instructor Fabio is hurt pretty bad. Sounds like he could have a pinched nerve. I will talk to him today and see how he is doing but he was miserable yesterday.

Sorry to hear about Fabio, I hope he's ok. Are you competing this weekend?

Derek Simonds
07-22-2010, 04:38 AM
21 July PM

BJJ Fundamentals with Prof. Todd: Penetration step, double leg takedown, sit up sweep, sit up sweep to kimura. I realized that I am not explosive or fast enough when I am securing the arm to my chest for the pressure. I think it is a mental thing because I am overly sensitive to the kimura.

BJJ Advanced with Prof. Todd: Lots of hipping and shrimping in the w/u then we did 20 takedown entries X 4 sets. You did 20 your partner did 20 repeat. My judo entries have been getting a lot of practice and they are starting to feel not retarded, maybe, just maybe I am beginning to get the start of some foot work. Worked the same defense of pass and sweep as Monday night and added a transition to inverted triangle from the bottom. Super slick and sneaky but if you miss you basically are giving up north south top control to your opponent. I will work it but don't know that I am comfortable going for this on a regular basis.

Drilled the pass defense by going back and forth and then Todd would yell go and top guy went for pass bottom guy defends. I was working with a really strong guy about 225 and was able to work a couple of passes. When I was on bottom I was able to hit the sweep we had been practicing. I was very pleased with this as he was trying to squish my guts out my nose. We grappled one more time afterwards and I was able to get the sweep again. I think this one is a keeper for me.

Derek Simonds
07-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Sorry to hear about Fabio, I hope he's ok. Are you competing this weekend?

He said he would be back today. I think he is ok. As of today I plan on competing. There are a lot of moving pieces for me over the next 10 days so I am trying to stay flexible.

My HR on waking was between 68 and 80 lying down.

40 LB Vest + 2 Dog Patrol 26:28 AHR of 124. The pace was a little easier today. My big dog Lucy was kind of limping a little so I didn't want to push her so I also went less distance.

Leon Robotham
07-22-2010, 07:44 AM
He said he would be back today. I think he is ok. As of today I plan on competing. There are a lot of moving pieces for me over the next 10 days so I am trying to stay flexible.

My HR on waking was between 68 and 80 lying down.

40 LB Vest + 2 Dog Patrol 26:28 AHR of 124. The pace was a little easier today. My big dog Lucy was kind of limping a little so I didn't want to push her so I also went less distance.

Ah well that's good news. Are you a heavy weight ? Coming from a thai background I used to have to cut to make weight but over the last 10 years as ive gotten older and a lot stronger, gained more lean muscle mass i've not been able to get down to weights that I used to, nor would I want to really. I did however try to compete in the medium heavy weight division earlier this year, I( made it to 88.6 in the gi, how devastated!!? I would have made the weight had I have properly dehydrated but the way the brackets were I would have been on the mat about an hour after weigh-ins, that would have sucked. I had the option of either skipoping it off or fighting in the heavy's, I decided to eat and fight in the heavy's. Fortunately for me I had probably an easy time there as I would have in the division below so my plan is to stay strong and mobile at about 90-92kg ready for my next comp in october. I wish we had as many competition opportunities over here as you guys do in the states, it brings your game on so much faster.

Good luck for the comp, looking forward to the results, have fun mate.

Derek Simonds
07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I am a heavyweight. I am probably right at the 90 - 92 KG range right now. I lost almost 5 KG by accident because of all the normal bs one can encounter in life plus the fact that it is soul sorchingly hot in FL right now. When it is this hot I have a hard time eating as much as I need.

I agree tournaments definitely can temper your steel.

I play with weight cutting depending on the tournament. IBJJ rules require you to weigh in at the start of your first match. They do this to eliminate guys who can cut large amounts of weight. Some of the tournaments that I compete in allow you to weigh in the night before. When that happens I might cut weight. Hell at one of the tournaments just recently I ended up cutting a kilo there so I wouldn't be in the super heavy weight class.

There is a tournament every month for the rest of the year. I got invited to compete in September at the No-Gi FL State Championships and then in October at the No-Gi Pan Ams in NY. Those are both big tournaments and I need to decide if I am going to train for them. If I do I will need to change up my training to include more No-Gi. Both tournaments are IBJJ rules and here is the blurb from the rules about weight.

Before his/her first fight, the athlete will check his/her weight . There is only one opportunity to check the weight. If the competitor does not make his/her weight,they will be immediately disqualified. Please make sure that you are in the correct weight division. You can not change divisions ,if you do not make your designated division. No changes will be accepted in the tournament day, no refund. All athletes must weighn in with the complete uniform (the weight list already includes the extra weight for the uniform).

Leon Robotham
07-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I've experienced the heat in Florida at this time of year and it's pretty crazy, very humid! Life can be tough sometimes and it's pretty easy to drop weight like that when combined with that heat out there.

I think we have about 6-10 Gi relatively large gi comps a year and plenty of no-gi. Right now I just want to train and compete in the gi so I don't have much of a selection. My first and only BJJ comp so far was the Scotia BJJ cup, and it wasn't under IBJJ rules so I was okay to move up. From now I will stay in the heavyweight division because I'm strong there and don't want to have to cut. I can't if I want to hit my strength numbers...

Pretty crazy that you guys have weigh-ins the day before for some events, we only have those for pro boxing,Muay Thai and MMA. Did you see that they've changed the rules now for the ADCC? they will be following the IBJJ rule and jumping on the scales before the first match. They will also be weighed later in the day and I think if they're 2k over they'll be DQ'd. It means we wont see another Popovitch v Garcia...

With an invitation like that you should jump at the chance. Would you still continue to work a little gi with a priority on no-gi, or would you train solely no-gi?

Derek Simonds
07-23-2010, 06:16 AM
The only change I would make is to add one day of strictly no-gi and on the other days I would grapple one round with the gi top then take it off and grapple rest without.

23 July 2010 Friday

Still up in the air about the tournament tomorrow. Really need to piss or get off the pot.

Dog walk
D W/U
Band Work all directions

Bench 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 185 X 5,5
Chin Ups 7 sets of 6

No spotter today so I didn't go up in weight on the last set. Lots of stuff on the agenda today so I am going to get busy.

Derek Simonds
07-24-2010, 03:27 PM
24 July Saturday

2010 Copa America Championships

Another completely and totally jacked up tournament. I ended fighting in the adult heavyweight division instead of my correct age group. Tracy and the kids went with me and I coached several of our team guys in their matches but it was 2:00 and my division was no where near starting so I said screw it and through in with the younger guys.

First match I pulled guard and the guy started just crushing my hips and working the pass. I tried several different sweeps to no avail and he got around but not to side control to north south. Which sucks when a big guy is crushing you. He had an arm triangle but I don't think he realized it and I was able to work out of it. I managed to get half guard when he tried to come back to side or mount and I immediately went hard after a sweep. I got it and he tried to turn / roll out of it and he ended up in turtle which surprised me and I said well now I know what to do from here. I took his back and finished fairly quickly with a collar choke. Jr said the guys face was purple. I don't think it was quite that tight but he tapped.

Got a several match rest and went up against this dude who was a monster. He was all over me from the start and I was going back and forth fighting out of bad position after bad position. He had phenomenal hip control and I couldn't work my sweeps. He ended up passing to knee on belly and I gave up and armbar in the escape attempt. That pissed me off as it is one of my favorite subs and this guy just nailed it. I tapped quickly as I was afraid he was going to rip my arm clear out of the socket. The guy was a true gentlemen and I always have a little more faith in the human race after a couple of matches like this.

I think this link will work for everyone. If it doesn't I will add some photos here.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2073120&id=1204351660&saved#!/album.php?aid=2073120&id=1204351660

Or try this one if the first doesn't work.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2073120&id=1204351660&ref=nf

Derek Simonds
07-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I had to post this one it is just too good of a shot to pass up. This was just an absolute classic collar choke from the rear.

http://i29.tinypic.com/1j9geq.jpg

Derek Weaver
07-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice picture. Definitely a good sign competing with the kids that your arm didn't get hurt. When I was still training through college the younger guys my age were way over aggressive, even in sparring.

What we thinking for the B-Day TSC? Your actual birthday is on Tuesday right?

Derek Simonds
07-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Ideally Monday. Lets see how I feel

Derek Simonds
07-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Gant I need some direction on how to handle guys who stiff arm and bend over at the waist to push into you.

Derek Weaver
07-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Ideally Monday. Lets see how I feel

Cool, just PM me or post up in one of our logs maybe tomorrow so I can be sure to be on the same page.