PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Leon Robotham
07-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Quality picture mate.

I get caught in an arm triangle from north-south every time I roll with my coach Ian, he's so fast with his transitions it's like tic-tac-toe, then I tap haha.

Good to see that you competed as an adult as well, but i'm sure you'll have more fun as a master. I read an article with Saulo Ribero lately and he was saying that in the masters division they do more jiu-jitsu :)

Derek Simonds
07-26-2010, 07:06 AM
26 July 2010 Monday

Apparently I should have checked with my lifting crew before I said Monday. Not a single guy showed up today. Bastards! Maybe I shouldn't have told them what we were going to do. They all hated the snatch test last time. Ah well, me and my wifes girls all got to work out together...

DL open at 335, 355, 387 X F (had that sob all the way to my knees and couldn't lock it out, this is where I blame my buddies for not being here to cheer me on)

DH PU's 12

Snatch 24 KG KB 63 They were not pretty but it is done. (I wanted 15 per minute but after the first minute I knew it was wishful thinking)

All in all just some really blah numbers, but a good workout and I think I can already see a difference from the targeted HR work

Derek Simonds
07-27-2010, 04:02 AM
26 July 2010

BJJ Fundamentals: Went in early and worked on the bent over stiff arm from standing. Gant sent me some stuff and I played with it and could see how it will work. Just need to train it some more and get fully committed.

Worked self defense from grab around waist, butterfly entries, butterfly sweep to kesa getame and arm / pendulum sweep.

The A/C was broken and it was miserable in the academy.

Derek Simonds
07-27-2010, 04:35 AM
27 July 2010 Tuesday

40th Birthday Vitals

6' 1.5"
199.6 LB's
12.7 %BF on the Tanita scale
66 RHR

I am apparently still slightly dehydrated from last night. I got all my scuba and fishing gear loaded so that I can be out the door early tomorrow morning for the Keys. Going to go wake up my daughter and have a little birthday breakfast with her.

Leon Robotham
07-27-2010, 08:10 AM
27 July 2010 Tuesday

40th Birthday Vitals

6' 1.5"
199.6 LB's
12.7 %BF on the Tanita scale
66 RHR

I am apparently still slightly dehydrated from last night. I got all my scuba and fishing gear loaded so that I can be out the door early tomorrow morning for the Keys. Going to go wake up my daughter and have a little birthday breakfast with her.

Happy 40th derek. Hope you have a good day and enjoy your time at the keys.
I often feel old doing this stuff at 28 years of age....

Dave Coughlin
07-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Happy 40th, and enjoy the Keys. Pretty solid vitals BTW....

Derek Weaver
07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Happy 40th Derek. Good idea on the TSC. Enjoy the time in the Keys

Derek Simonds
07-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Do not try this at home!

http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31587321&id=1204351660

Must be the Keys, quart jar and a glow stick...

Kevin Perry
07-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry I'm late, happy 40th Derek

Derek Simonds
07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Let's see, I am in the Keys, time is going at a different rate, this side of 40 doesn't seem so bad, water is beautiful, drinks are cold and I haven't done anything other then drink, fish and dive. Tracy and the kids get here tonight. Looking forward to rest of weekend.

Derek Simonds
08-03-2010, 12:47 PM
3 August 2010

Some pictures from the Keys. First is Jr snorkeling at around 15 feet. I am so proud of him that he learned to clear his ears and swim that deep. He worked hard the first day to get all the way down.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2yuh6ag.jpg

This was Lane Dog at somewhere around 6 feet. She couldn't clear her ears but that didn't stop her. She spent more time underwater then on top.

http://i38.tinypic.com/bg31hi.jpg

Me and the bestest girl ever at Islamorada Fish Camp waiting on some grub.

http://i33.tinypic.com/30hvm9j.jpg

Jr and Matt eating some oysters.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2zzj2mb.jpg

Derek Simonds
08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Here is what Jr did any moment that he wasn't snorkeling. He caught barracuda, mango snapper, needle fish, crabs, grunt, pin fish basically anything that swam close enough to the dock he was on.

http://i35.tinypic.com/ve8zmg.jpg

Jr catching the setting sun on Florida Bay. We go to Morada Bay every night for drinks, live music and the sunset. Wonderful way to close off the day.

http://i33.tinypic.com/fy2yia.jpg

Lane Dog catching the sun also.

http://i35.tinypic.com/24bq52b.jpg

I truly feel like I am the luckiest guy ever...

http://i35.tinypic.com/xwvmc.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled workouts tonight or tomorrow.

Leon Robotham
08-03-2010, 01:13 PM
That place looks beautiful Derek. I love the family picture with the lake behind, the lighting is awesome!

Derek Simonds
08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks Leon. That water is Florida Bay or basically the Gulf of Mexico. There are little mangrove islands all throughout the water but if you headed towards the setting sun you would end up in Texas or Mexico more likely as the sun this time of year is south of west.

August 4th 2010

D W/U
Foam Rolling for the first time in a while it felt really good.
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 5, 5 75 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3
P/U 3,4,5,6,5,5
DL X 5 up to 275

I got my new plate loadable mace and clubs from Ryan Pitts at www.strongergrip.com. Wow are they cool. I did 10 minutes non stop with the clubs plus a 5 lb plate. It was too much weight but I was having a blast. I don't really know any routines other than the one I have been doing with my 4 lb hammers. My forearms are smoked. I finished with some simple levering with the clubs. I need to pick up some 2.5 lb standard plates to make the clubs a little less awkward feeling.

Had to renew my DL and it was the easiest experience I have ever had at the licensing agency. Now at work and ready to make it happen. BJJ tonight and Olympic lifts tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Nice pics, looks like a great 40th!

Derek Weaver
08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice pictures. Sounds like a great week. Happy Birthday.

Derek Simonds
08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
4 August 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Double leg takedown, kimura sweep, kimura and kimura when you pin the wrist in the triangle between your leg and their leg. Pretty fun little variant. If you can jam the wrist in there your opponent doesn't like it and immediately yanks up to escape and bam kimura.

BJJ Advanced: Arm drag judo throw and a couple of variants, more knee over guard recovery techniques and my partner and I worked a couple of chokes from north south at the same time (loop and guillotine) I liked the loop a lot especially with a gator roll for the finish.

Grappled 4 X 6 minute rounds. First with one of the other purples who has an incredible half guard game. We agreed half guard all the way and went at it. If you passed or swept the other guy gave up half and you started working again. I surprised myself with 2 sweeps. First I actually ducked through the back door and took his back, second was a variant on grabbing the opposite ankle under the leg and basically doing a single. Second grapple with a blue who was a college wrestler and he was just going at me non stop. I played a conservative defensive game and took his back right at the end. He wore me out though. 3rd was with a 2 stripe brown who has an incredible game. He is the best at controlling your hips and legs through hand position of anyone I have ever trained with. It always seems like he has a hold of your pants pinning a leg or your hips. He did some variant of a collar choke with a spin off knee on belly and I tapped. Last roll was with my training partner and he for some reason left his arm stretched out straight by my ear and I side armbarred him.

I had no explosiveness tonight, none, zip, zilch and nada. The brown was telling me work more and I said yes sir as soon as I can...

My wife just informed me that I am to come up stairs and give her a massage. And as a wise man once said give and ye shall receive...

Derek Simonds
08-04-2010, 06:58 PM
And thanks for the birthday wishes and compliments on the pictures. It was a blast.

Derek Simonds
08-05-2010, 06:23 AM
5 August 2010 Thursday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5,5,5
Bench 45 X 5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5,5,5
FGDBR 65 X 10 X 3

65 BB Crush 20 X 3
65 BB Curlz 10 X 3

In and out. A little tired this morning and need some real food. Luckily there is a deli here that makes good breakfast so I will be eating at my desk shortly.

Leon Robotham
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
4 August 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Double leg takedown, kimura sweep, kimura and kimura when you pin the wrist in the triangle between your leg and their leg. Pretty fun little variant. If you can jam the wrist in there your opponent doesn't like it and immediately yanks up to escape and bam kimura.

BJJ Advanced: Arm drag judo throw and a couple of variants, more knee over guard recovery techniques and my partner and I worked a couple of chokes from north south at the same time (loop and guillotine) I liked the loop a lot especially with a gator roll for the finish.

Grappled 4 X 6 minute rounds. First with one of the other purples who has an incredible half guard game. We agreed half guard all the way and went at it. If you passed or swept the other guy gave up half and you started working again. I surprised myself with 2 sweeps. First I actually ducked through the back door and took his back, second was a variant on grabbing the opposite ankle under the leg and basically doing a single. Second grapple with a blue who was a college wrestler and he was just going at me non stop. I played a conservative defensive game and took his back right at the end. He wore me out though. 3rd was with a 2 stripe brown who has an incredible game. He is the best at controlling your hips and legs through hand position of anyone I have ever trained with. It always seems like he has a hold of your pants pinning a leg or your hips. He did some variant of a collar choke with a spin off knee on belly and I tapped. Last roll was with my training partner and he for some reason left his arm stretched out straight by my ear and I side armbarred him.

I had no explosiveness tonight, none, zip, zilch and nada. The brown was telling me work more and I said yes sir as soon as I can...

My wife just informed me that I am to come up stairs and give her a massage. And as a wise man once said give and ye shall receive...

I've recently experienced the intensity that wrestlers bring to the mat. Crazy!

Dave Coughlin
08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Super cool pics from the vacation man, it looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. Those vacations are merely figments of imagination for us, with two in diapers!

Nice work on your first days back to reality, those can be tough adjustments....

Derek Simonds
08-09-2010, 07:55 AM
9 August 2010

Ok this was the last of my birthday celebrations for real. We went up to the lake for the weekend with my sister and her family and a whole bunch of our friends. It was also a birthday celebration for my bro in law. We definitely made the most of it.

I taught two 5 year old boys how to knee board and I am not sure who was more happy them or their parents. Delaney got her 360 on the kneeboard and nailed 2 last night on the last runs of the weekend. Jr dang near cleared the wake on his wakeboard and when he does that I will officially have nothing else to teach him as far as my wakeboarding skills. I decided that I was going to barefoot last night and I never went very far... I am mighty sore from the effort today.

I ran the dogs Sunday morning 30 minutes AHR of 130 mixed in walking to keep the HR under 150. BJJ tonight and lifting tomorrow.

Tracy has decided that she wants to do a detox diet again and will be taking me along for the ride. August looks to be a good recovery month. Back to school for the kids next Monday.

Leon Robotham
08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
9 August 2010

Ok this was the last of my birthday celebrations for real. We went up to the lake for the weekend with my sister and her family and a whole bunch of our friends. It was also a birthday celebration for my bro in law. We definitely made the most of it.

I taught two 5 year old boys how to knee board and I am not sure who was more happy them or their parents. Delaney got her 360 on the kneeboard and nailed 2 last night on the last runs of the weekend. Jr dang near cleared the wake on his wakeboard and when he does that I will officially have nothing else to teach him as far as my wakeboarding skills. I decided that I was going to barefoot last night and I never went very far... I am mighty sore from the effort today.

I ran the dogs Sunday morning 30 minutes AHR of 130 mixed in walking to keep the HR under 150. BJJ tonight and lifting tomorrow.

Tracy has decided that she wants to do a detox diet again and will be taking me along for the ride. August looks to be a good recovery month. Back to school for the kids next Monday.

Dude! You do realise that you have FAR too much fun, right??;)

Allen Yeh
08-10-2010, 04:26 AM
1.5 week birthday party!

Derek Simonds
08-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Leon I do realize especially when you go to jits and get your arse thoroughly handed to you for the second Monday in a row. Allen it was originally going to be a month long party but do to concerns over my liver it was trimmed back!

9 August 2010

BJJ Fundamentals: Rear readlock escape, mount escape, collar choke from mount, collar choke from guard after getting rolled from mount, armbar off collar choke defense

BJJ Advanced: Spider guard mobility drills, spider guard sweep from standing, spider guard sweep from kneeling variant with the knee through, grappling

Same as last week first roll was with the college wrestler and he was all over me again. Lots more movement and escapes but darn it two weeks in a row with no sweeps. Next was with the brown belt and I went as hard as I could. I escaped a lot of positions and thought I was going to get an armbar off a stack but he did a great job blocking my leg by controlling the pants. I ended up getting tapped with a brazilian neck tie'ish kind of choke out of the stack. Sucked big time. Rolled with one of our pro mma 145'ers and tried to move and not just smash him. Twice he rolled out to a heel hook. He didn't do it but just locked it down. I need to watch that for no gi especially. Finished with a blue belt who is progressing nicely. We had a good active roll and I took his back and finished with a collar choke right as time expired.

10 August 2010

D W/U

BS 45 X5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5,5,5

Bench 45 X5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5,5,5
Chin Up 4,5,6,7,6
DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 2, 285 X 5

65 LB BB Flexion 20,20,20
70 LB BB Crush 20,20,20

21 LB EZ Curl Extension 20,20,20
+5 LB Club Front Lever 10,10,10
+5 LB Club Weaver Stick Lever X 5,7,10

Off to work.

Derek Weaver
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Livers are accessories. Nothing wrong with a 1.5 week to 1 month long B-Day party.

(I kid, my dad had a liver transplant. They're important.)

Here's the ten day forecast for Pleasanton. Fremont is just down the freeway.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/94566

I'm sure it's similar to Florida right now, but maybe a touch cooler (it's actually much cooler than usual at this time of year), and maybe a touch less humid. Beach is about an hour away.

Leon Robotham
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Have you seen the match between Romulo and Barnett? After the match Romulo said he learned more about toe holds and heel hooks in that match than he has in his BJJ career. He aslo said that he was caught with a heel hook but wasnt going to tap out of pride for bjj or something to that effect.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb689u_josh-barnett-vs-romulo-barral_sport

Barnett's a good sport. He rocked up to this comp and thought it was nogi, but instead of just leaving he found himself a gi and got on the mat!

Derek Simonds
08-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Here's the ten day forecast for Pleasanton. Fremont is just down the freeway.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/94566

I'm sure it's similar to Florida right now, but maybe a touch cooler (it's actually much cooler than usual at this time of year), and maybe a touch less humid. Beach is about an hour away.

The humidity here is probably close to 90%. We have been around 100 heat index pretty much for the entire summer. Some days we have been up around 105. I would enjoy some weather with no humidity.

Derek Simonds
08-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Have you seen the match between Romulo and Barnett? After the match Romulo said he learned more about toe holds and heel hooks in that match than he has in his BJJ career. He aslo said that he was caught with a heel hook but wasnt going to tap out of pride for bjj or something to that effect.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb689u_josh-barnett-vs-romulo-barral_sport

Barnett's a good sport. He rocked up to this comp and thought it was nogi, but instead of just leaving he found himself a gi and got on the mat!

I had a hard time seeing exactly what was going on in the match. I could tell that Romulo was arguing with the ref about a bunch of stuff. In the end it looked like they were going to give it to Barnett but changed their mind.

Derek Simonds
08-11-2010, 04:20 AM
11 August 2010

1 Dog + 40 LB Vest 22 minutes AHR of 116. My HR was much lower then previous walks and I wonder if it is because it was cooler today or I am better rested...

Derek Simonds
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
11 August Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as Monday

BJJ Advanced: Warm up and then partner drill with any takedown. I fell on my partners foot when he did a sacrifice throw and his big tow got bent backwards bad. That just sucked. Spider guard and some variants for sweeps.

Grappled with a big blue belt and had a lively go I was able to end up using my take the back sweep to take the mount. He had some solid defense so no submissions but lots of fun. Grappled with one of our younger kids and just played around. He is going to be an animal and was attacking me non stop. Grappled last round with the purple belt who is closest in size to me. He was a DB in college and on the Raiders practice squad and possibly could be the strongest pound for pound guy I know. We had a great match and tonight was the first time I have went toe to toe and was able to control the pace and direction we went. It was quite pleasant actually :D not to get dominated by him. He would have won on points but it was a solid grapple and I was able to work some of the stuff I have been practicing.

Great class, hungry now and tired! Food and sleep coming up.

Derek Simonds
08-12-2010, 05:54 AM
12 August Thursday

D W/U
Jump rope 3 minutes, 10 push up, 10 push up +, band work

BW/U
BW/U with bar
PC + PJ 95 X 5,5, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 1 X 10 on the minute

Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 85 X 5,5,5
P/U 4 X 5

In and out in 45 minutes with warmup. The PC + PJ on the minute wasn't hard per se but man am I sweating like a pig. I showered put on a work shirt and completely soaked it and had to change to a new shirt. Ridiculous.

Derek Simonds
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
12 August Thursday

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as rest of week. Had 2 trials in class tonight so I worked with one of them. Interesting that this dude was probably in his late 20's early 30's, pretty darn good shape, big 6' 2 or 3 and probably around 215 and no martial arts or wrestling experience at all. I asked him why he was trying BJJ and he said he had never been in a fight his entire life and was just a really nice guy and he wanted to know that he could protect himself if he needed to. So I walked him through the finer points of choking the living dog crap out of someone :rolleyes: I do make a point of stressing what is a self defense technique and what is sport especially with new people.

No-Gi: Holee Crap was it on tonight. Started with some crazy stuff in w/u, and went nuts from there. First we did 10 minutes monkey in the middle with takedowns. I was in the middle the entire time except one round. I was really feeling the single leg tonight and I took down a couple of wrestlers with it. The one time I got taken down the guy sat out on me as I was trying to flip him and he ended up with a fireman's throw sacrifice somehow.

Then we grappled 10 minute rounds X 4!!!! First round I went with the guy that won ADCC trials and went to ADCC in Dubai and was able to take his back twice. I couldn't submit him but my movement tonight was on fire! He showed me how to lock down the arm with your leg afterwards and it made all the sense in the world. I will be using that next time I grapple. Finished with a couple of blue belts and lots of movement. I would hit a sub and if they didn't tap right away just drop it and keep moving. Really, really good class for me tonight. Not sure why but it is like an unexpected huge PR, you take them when they show up.

Derek Weaver
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Looks like a tremendous workout. I guess 40 suits you well.

Derek Simonds
08-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Looks like a tremendous workout. I guess 40 suits you well.

It does and so does dialing in the diet, sleep and alcohol consumption...

Derek Simonds
08-13-2010, 06:43 AM
13 August Friday

D W/U
Dog Walk

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5,5,5
Chin Up 4,5,6,6,6
Club Lever + 5LB X 10 X 3
Club Weaver + 5LB X 10 X 3
Club Rotation + 5LB X 10 X 2

SDL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 290 X 5
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5,5,5

BB Crush 75 X 20 X 3
BB Flexion 65 X 20, 70 X 20 X 3

EZ Curl Extension 31 X 20 X 3
EZ Curl Curlz 31 X 15

Good workout this morning. I am going to DL on Monday and SDL on Friday. I have got to get some sweatbands. I am sweating so much that all my clothes are absolutely soaked. My palms don't really sweat that much but the sweat just runs down into my hands and makes it annoying. I was having to towel off the bars before each use just to be able to hold on to them. I chalked up and well that was just a mess. Made a kind of white mud.

All in all it was a good week back in the saddle.

glennpendlay
08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Just wanted to let you know that it has been in the high 70's here all week, but I hear its supposed to warm up next week. Hope the weather is this nice when you get out here. Also, I dont know your schedule, but you are of course welcome to use the gym if you would like.

Derek Simonds
08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I appreciate the offer Glenn. I am going to be in and out in the same day it looks like right now.

Just wanted to let you know that it has been in the high 70's here all week, but I hear its supposed to warm up next week. Hope the weather is this nice when you get out here. Also, I dont know your schedule, but you are of course welcome to use the gym if you would like.

Derek Simonds
08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
15 August Sunday 2010

40 Minutes 1 dog fast walk, very fast walk. AHR 118 nice recovery work.

Derek Simonds
08-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Just in case anyone was wondering what owning a boat is like this hand acronym might explain it best. BOAT = Bring Another One Thousand. Yes I know it is not exactly in order but you get the jist.

Derek Simonds
08-16-2010, 04:15 AM
16 August 2010 Monday

First day of school! That means we are up and at it by 5:00 AM every day here out.

D W/U
Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5,5,5
Club + 5 LB's X 10 Lever X 3
Club + 5 LB's X 10 Weaver X 3 (these were superset with BS first 3 sets)
Mace + 10 LB's X 10 each direction X 3 (second 3 sets)

Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5,5,5
DL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5 (Almost puked during the set) 295 X 5
P/U 4 X 6

BB Crush 75 X 20 X3
BB Flexion 65 X 20 X 3
EZ Curl Extension 31 X 20

EZ Curl Narrow Grip Curl X 20

The goal is to do each superset in one song. This gives me approximately 3 minutes to do the work and rest before moving on to the next set. Well on that set of 275 I was pushing hard and got a little uncomfortable. I took 2 songs rest before last set and knocked it out.

Derek Simonds
08-17-2010, 03:44 AM
16 August Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: side control escape shrimp, side control escape single leg, side control escape single leg to take the back, arm triangle.

Didn't stay for advanced as I wanted to get home and see the kids after their first day of school.

17 August Tuesday 2010

Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Roll

BW/U
BW/U with bar

PS 45 X 5 X 3

PC + PJ 95 X 5, 105 X 3, 120 X 3, 140 X 1 X 10 on the minute

Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 85 X 5 90 X 5,5,5
C/U 6 X 3
FGDB Rows 65 X 7 X 3
DB Row (no grip) 65 X 12

10 LB Oly Plate + 2.5 LB Plate Curlz X 10 X 2

Another good workout. I am looking for a BW PC + PJ and will invest the time required to get there. My diet has been dialed in as has my recovery including a 75 minute full body massage last night from the best LMT in the south.

Allen Yeh
08-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Why on the minute?

Derek Simonds
08-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Why on the minute?

No good reason. I have done it that way with Leo in the past and it keeps my heart rate up but I still have enough time to stay focused on my technique. As the weight progresses if I need more time I will adjust. I also will switch to a split jerk when I start having a harder time with the push jerk. Maybe even switch to a full clean somewhere down the line.

All I know is that after helping several of the guys at the academy on their lifts I was motivated to get back at it. We will see how it goes.

Allen Yeh
08-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Nice, just wondering if your ultimate goal was BW, 1 minute rests once you get heavy seems low! Now your BW is higher by not a little bit...lets just hope your shoulders match up to the increase!

My Oly ambitions are like none at the moment, I'll throw in some power stuff here and there but having no bumpers really takes the fun out of it.

Derek Simonds
08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
I want a BW PC + Some Kind of Jerk. I know it is attainable with some dedication. When I was weaker I got to a BW C&J at 185. I am a ton stronger now. Shoulders have always been my weakest area though. My best numbers ever are a 205 Clean and 187 Jerk never together though. I am going to go at this in a simple linear progression until it stalls and see where I end up.

Speaking of BW I am at 200.00 and 11.1% BF as of this morning. I am not trying to lose weight just needed to clean up a little as I was feeling sloppy and not really moving the weights that much better. Big tournaments are coming next year and I need to start deciding where I am going to compete weight wise. After fighting that guy I lost to in the finals at the last tournament I realize there are people stronger then me in my weight class. I could lose some weight to make the 189 class but I like walking around at 200. So I need to add some weight but it needs to be muscle. I also dedicated myself to HR training to get some additional cardio base.

My next tournament is the State No-Gi Championships September 18. I have 2 choices cut weight and fight at 194.5 or add some more weight and fight at 207.5. No way I would fight at 207.5 right now. I just don't feel that I am strong enough for that weight in no-gi. In gi tournaments that same weight class is with the gi on which weighs about 5 lb's. So 207.5 is really right around 202. Which is where I am at now. Shorts don't weigh that much so I would be giving up at least 5 lb's and who knows how much strength. I guess I just need to go on a serious protein feeding binge for the next 3 weeks and see what happens. I also need to be training no-gi at least once a week.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Your question got me thinking about a bunch of stuff.

Leon Robotham
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
I had a hard time seeing exactly what was going on in the match. I could tell that Romulo was arguing with the ref about a bunch of stuff. In the end it looked like they were going to give it to Barnett but changed their mind.

Very true. I watched it first time round on Budo I think, quality was much better, but I cant seem to remember where I saw the interview afterwards. Maybe it was after the event...

Leon Robotham
08-17-2010, 01:52 PM
No good reason. I have done it that way with Leo in the past and it keeps my heart rate up but I still have enough time to stay focused on my technique. As the weight progresses if I need more time I will adjust. I also will switch to a split jerk when I start having a harder time with the push jerk. Maybe even switch to a full clean somewhere down the line.

All I know is that after helping several of the guys at the academy on their lifts I was motivated to get back at it. We will see how it goes.

I do this as well. I read a post that Glenn wrote a while back somewhere, either here or CF and he'd said something along the lines of just getting exposure to the lifts for novices is enough and doing either 10 or 20x1 on the minute with good speed and technique then moving up is the key. I've made some decent technique and number gains recently. After not snatching for a while I've been hitting good power snatches at 80 across, I was injured a couple of weeks back on the mats so I havent continued the progress.

We've also been throwing 10x1 on the minute to our class twice a week, using the snatch and the clean or variations of the lifts depending on ability. Everybody has made notable improvements in technique and with that of course their numbers move north.

Leon Robotham
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
What's the technique where you pin the arm with your leg mate? Is it a knee ride over one arm while in mount?

Derek Simonds
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
What's the technique where you pin the arm with your leg mate? Is it a knee ride over one arm while in mount?

That is as good of a name as I have for it. I have always called it an arm pin unless it is a part of another move. I use it as a setup for triangle from mount or an attack on their opposire arm like a kimura where I then slide off into side control.

17 August PM

BJJ fundamentals: same song different verse.

18 August 04:00 wakeup fly to LA meetings at 9:30 done for dAy now but freaking tired.

Derek Simonds
08-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Didn't end up getting to bed until after midnight LA time. That made for pretty near a 24 hour day for me. Yuck. Then the AC froze up in my room and I woke up at 4:30 AM to Chinese Water Torture as the unit was leaking all over my luggage.

19 August AM

I was up so might as well make the most of it.

26 minutes treadmill 6.5 incline and 3.6 mph AHR 126

Derek Simonds
08-20-2010, 06:20 AM
20 August 2010

Happy Birthday to my beautiful wife. It seems that life is trying to get me to live on a lot less sleep then normal. Last night I might have got in a good 5 hours. I think I will probably crash tonight. I surprised my wife by buying tickets for her best friend and her bestfriend's boyfriend to fly in from MI. She was the maid of honor at our wedding and Tracy and her have known each other since 2nd grade. We were all going to go to dinner last night but travel was screwed up. Supposed to be home by 6:00 didn't get home until 10:15. I went right to bed to try and get some rest but that didn't work either. Everybody got home and then wanted to talk. I am happy that I pulled it off and that Tracy was as surprised as she was. I am already thinking about a pillow though.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 2, 175 X 5,5,5
P/U 2, 6, 8, 9

SDL 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 295 X 5
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5,5,5

45 LB BB Drag Curlz X 15,15
135 BB Shrug X 12,12

I was out of time and kind of draggin arse a little so I skipped my grip and accessory work today. I will play with some stuff tomorrow morning at the lake.

I am really excited about how everything is progressing. I know that I am not doing a ton of weight in any exercise but man this was the best BS session I have had in a while. Form was spot on and every squat was in the groove. On the DL it seems the 275 for me is tougher than the 295. I am going to move up 5 lb's on DL next week and continue to add 5 LB's each session to the squat. Next week is also press X 2 and that will put me at 100 X 5 X 3.

I don't know if the ski boat is fixed so I have a lot of running around to do today before I get to the lake for Tracy's official birthday party. Hoping to cut out early today as well. Lets see how that goes.

Derek Simonds
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
20 August 2010 Friday Lunch

Well I had a lull in the action at work so I went to competition class / open mat. Great action on the mat today. 20 Plus guys and I was on the lower side as far as experience.

Worked with a guy I used to train with all the time. He has been coming a lot more lately trying to get his purple belt. I was working an open guard pass that pushes through and separates the legs. Well I did it wrong. He caught me in a triangle and I was defending and somehow managed to get my eye and my shoulder in the same space. That doesn't work well when you are pushing out your own eye. I tapped quickly. We went again and I worked a guard pass and he pulled half guard and as soon as he did I went for the d'arce and got it. I think I was surprised as he was. We reset and I slowed the pace and just started working position. As I advanced he gave me his arm and I set up an arm triangle. It pulled tight and I slipped off to the other side for the finish.

I switched up and worked with one of our guys that is getting ready for no-gi pan ams and we drilled the d'arce from many different positions that I never would have thought of.

I then worked with one of my training partners on the Roger Gracie style choke from the mount. I got a couple of pointers from Prof. Todd and I was sinking it deep, deep, deep. I liked it.

Rolled with Rafa and played my normal pass to side to mount and worked for an americana when he pushed off me trying to escape.

All in all a great day of training. I wish that I had the time to train with some of the black belts today but it just didn't work out that way.

Derek Weaver
08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Looks like a good day all around.

Cool stuff with your wife's friend coming into town. Hope you guys have a nice weekend. Lots of partying lately. The way it should be :cool:

Derek Simonds
08-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Derek there has been. We are pretty much officially through the party season as of now. Labor Day is really our last big hurrah for the summer.

21 Aug 2010
Very fast dog walk X 10:00
Medium speed dog run X 9:30
Very fast recovery walk X 10:00
40 M hill sprints walk back X 5

Total time 36 minutes AHR 2 136 time in zone was 22:00

We got some new ski, wakeboard, kneeboard gear this weekend. Wow is all I can say. Technology has really advanced the sport. I don't ride kneeboards but do for fun once in a while. With the new rope that we just got I over jumped both wakes by at least 4 feet. Was not what I planned on and was surprised as all hell when I landed in the flat. I have decided that anyone looking for something fun to do that compliments grappling really should try watersports. I have a fair amount of soreness today that comes directly from being drug behind the boat.

Laney is now officially a wakeboarder. She can deep water start all on her own. That is a huge deal. She also rode outside the wake multiple times. She told me this morning how sore she was. So I don't too bad...

Derek Simonds
08-23-2010, 06:27 AM
23 August 2010

1/4 Mile Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Rolling

BS 45 X5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 180 X 5,5,5
Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5,5,5

DL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 300 X 5
Club Bell + 5LB Lever X 10 X 3
Club Bell + 5LB Weaver X 10 X 3
Club Bell + 5LB Rotation X 10 X 3

I skipped my chin ups today as Laney wanted me to wake her up 5 minutes early to work on decimal places with her. How can a dad say no to that. I have no idea why but the 275 DL always is the worst. The 300 X 5 came up nice and steady but 275 made me very uncomfortable. Press and Squat get another 5 lb's this week.

Derek Simonds
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
23 Aug 2010 Lunch

Hit the academy on the way to the airport. Man I got lucky. Prof. Marcio was teaching today. He is the owner and a 6 stripe BB under Carlos Gracie Jr. He doesn't teach that much any more so it is cool to catch a class with him.

Worked grip figthing standing and laying down, arm circle and collar choke from guard and grappled 2 ten minute sessions. I felt great today and hit and released a ton of submissions. I didn't take any to tap just hit them and flowed on. It really was a treat and Marcio helped me with the angle on my choke. Very nice.

Just at a 9 oz steak salad and broccoli and am boarding my flight to Montreal.

Leon Robotham
08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
23 Aug 2010 Lunch

Hit the academy on the way to the airport. Man I got lucky. Prof. Marcio was teaching today. He is the owner and a 6 stripe BB under Carlos Gracie Jr. He doesn't teach that much any more so it is cool to catch a class with him.

Worked grip figthing standing and laying down, arm circle and collar choke from guard and grappled 2 ten minute sessions. I felt great today and hit and released a ton of submissions. I didn't take any to tap just hit them and flowed on. It really was a treat and Marcio helped me with the angle on my choke. Very nice.

Just at a 9 oz steak salad and broccoli and am boarding my flight to Montreal.

Taking a class with him must be one hell of an experience mate. Why doesn't he teach that often?

Derek Simonds
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Taking a class with him must be one hell of an experience mate. Why doesn't he teach that often?

He has 4 locations in the Orlando area and is busy running them as a business. My first year he was my main instructor for most of it.

24 August Tuesday 2010

In Montreal for meetings no car and crappy hotel gym so I got my swole on!

All with 25 LB DB's

Curl, Tricep Extension, Chest Flye
Shoulder Flye, Crush, Flexion, Extension, Shrug

30 Minutes on the treadmill, 5 minute warm up, 2 minutes run, 2 minutes of rest X 6. At the end of each run I would check my HR and it was 152 to 156 after 1:30 I would check it again and it was 120 to 128. I was really happy with how quick my HR was coming down. Treadmill running just sucks though.

Derek Weaver
08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Gots to get jacked with those 25's.

Good stuff on the HR. Do you feel like the HR training you've been doing has carried over to your BJJ in a noticeable way?

Derek Simonds
08-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Gots to get jacked with those 25's.

Good stuff on the HR. Do you feel like the HR training you've been doing has carried over to your BJJ in a noticeable way?

Yes! I can definitely tell a difference, mostly in recovery but on Monday I was grappling the first round and my partner was damn near his MHR and I wasn't even breathing hard. Now some of that has to do with technique... but normally against the same guy I would have been working much much harder. I can tell especially when we switch partners I take the minute or two and breathe and then I feel pretty dang fresh to start the next roll.

I don't know if I posted it but my wife wants to run a 5K in October and November. She doesn't compete in anything even though she would kick ass so this is a big deal. I want to be prepared to run whatever speed she wants for the races.

BTW I am sore from getting my swole on with those stupid 25's. Ridiculous.

I am off my schedule right now for working out but I plan on lifting tomorrow in Richmond. I am in the dirty Jersey for a couple of meetings now and then home Friday night. Long week of travel and not good planning on my part has left me not getting my training in the way I wanted to. Oh well.

Derek Weaver
08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
No gym? Don't worry, I got you. The Wanna Be Big No Gym Warrior Workout http://www.wannabebig.com/training/the-no-gym-warrior-workout-program/

Or you can stick with the 25's and get the pump going.

Derek Simonds
08-27-2010, 05:36 AM
There was actually some good stuff in that website. Exercises that I know but just don't generally use.

26 Aug 2010

Hotel Treadmill Blah Blah Blah

I am having a hard time getting excited to do my cardio work on a treadmill. I prefer me and the dogs outside for sure.

25:00 AHR 132 3.7 MPH and an incline of 7.5. Just wasn't feeling the running tongiht, truthfully wasn't feeling anything at all but made myself do this.

27 August 2010 Friday and I am heading home soon!

Went to a local Golds Gym...

D W/U

B W/U with a 45 LB Bar
HPC + PJ 45 X 3, 3, 95 X 2 X 6, 105 X 2 X 4 on the minute

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 2, 180 X 5,5,5
P/U 2, 5,5,5,5,5

BB Crush 65 X 20 X 3
BB Flexion 65 X 20 X 3
Tricep Pushdown 60 X 15, 70 X 15, 80 X 15

EZ Curl Extension 21 X 20 X 3
BB Curl W, N, R X 12

The only place that was open to PC was in the corner by the squat rack with mirrors on 2 sides and I was concerned about the spacing. I hit my arse on the bench behind me a couple of times cleaning. I stayed light and focused on speed based on the surroundings.

On the P/U's the P/U bars on the cable machines had some weird extra large spongy wrappings on them so I decided to do my P/U's in the squat rack. Well a guy was power curling 135 in there and I asked if I could work in. He says yeah so I grab the bar P/U and damn near knocked myself out. The freaking P/U attachment was installed backwards with the square stock at the front of the rack instead of in the back. It was like a pinball machine with my head. I hit the square stock and bounced forward and the P/U bar hit me right over the left eye. It must have been some kind of impressive because 3 people came running over and while I was muttering curses were like hey sit down man, are you ok? Farking retarded. I was pretty darn pissed at my own stupidity and the person who put the rack together. I should have looked before I attempted the P/U but never even thought about it.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln the rest of the workout was no problem. I think I screwed up and went 5 LB's to heavy on the bench but it was fine.

Allen Yeh
08-27-2010, 06:06 AM
At least no visits to the hospital were needed....:D

Derek Weaver
08-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Derek,
Your pull up story almost made me spit my coffee out on my keyboard this morning. I'm glad that you're alright, but I did indeed laugh a bit. I hope you didn't have a residual headache later on.

Derek Simonds
08-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Yeah it is pretty darn funny afterwards. No headache but definitely felt 2 inches shorter all day long.

Derek Simonds
08-28-2010, 06:28 AM
28 August Saturday 2010

D W/U
Band Work
Some light stretching
Single leg entries

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 185 X 5,5,5
First 3 sets 21 LB Mace 12 swings each direction
Second 3 sets keg carry down to the opposite sidewalk and back up the driveway

Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 100 X 5,5,5
SDL 45 X 10, 135 X 5,185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 300 X 5

I might have been a little ambitious on the BS, swings and keg carry. That ended up being harder than I thought. The plan was a complimentary exercise that kept our HR's elevated between sets. Well we accomplished that.

Press was hard. I think I have at least 2 more 5 LB increases. DL was no problem I think that I am getting re-acclimated to the movements. BS was harder but probably only a 7 on RPE. Press was pretty close to a 9.

At least now I can say that all my working weights are in the hundreds again. 5 more workouts and I will be where I want to be working press 1 hundreds, BS 2 hundreds and DL 3 hundreds.

Making a quick bite of breakfast and the kids and I are off to Jits.

*** I just weighed the keg out of curiousity and it weighs 89 LB's. That is heavier than what I thought it would be.

Derek Simonds
08-29-2010, 05:21 AM
28 August Saturday 2010 Noon

Worked with a Judo guy on osoto gari for 30 minutes before class. I am starting to feel it, just can't do it consistently yet. The way Mark seems to drop his entire weight on me as he connects with my body on the entry is amazing. Me I am using or trying to use too much muscle. I have to remember that in Judo the arms move you to your opponent not your opponent.

Armbar from guard and about a zillion variants with defenses and counter attacks. Seriously a solid hour of armbar and what happens after. Damian Maia would have been well served to brush up on these techniques before his fight last night. :D

We had a trial he was an athletic young guy with no MA experience at all. Fabio paid me a big compliment by telling the guy don't worry about anything you are going to get your very own private lesson from Derek today.

Finished by grappling for 30 minutes. So a total of 2 hours on the mat. There is an absolutely horrid trianglish attack from an armbar where your opponent grabs their own wrist to protect the arm. All you do is step your foot thru their arms and place your heel on their neck, reach under with your hand and grab your foot then triangle it with your other leg. The key is to keep as little of your leg as possible on the neck. I have been stepping through all the way to a triangle and couldn't get a finish from it. Well now I know. I did it twice in grappling today. Jr was our cameraman so I think there is some pictures of it.

Pretty darn happy with the week and today I am super sore.

Derek Simonds
08-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Jr did get a picture of the move I was talking about above. Here it is.

http://i36.tinypic.com/1193r4n.jpg

You can see that my right arm is wrapped around his arm going for the armbar. My left arm is holding my foot right behind his head and I have just triangled my foot with my left foot. Really a painful move when applied properly. It certainly gives me more faith to go for armbars from the top.

Derek Simonds
08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
30 Aug 2010 Monday

D W/U
Dog Walk 1/4 mile
Band Work
Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 190 X 5,5,5
Chin Ups 6,6,6,6
Mace Swings 21 LB's X 15 each direction x 3

DL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 3
Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 190 X 5,5,5

OK well that is done. RPE BS 7, DL 10 (I just couldn't get excited on that last set), Bench 8-8.5

Chin ups and mace work felt really good. DL was just slugging through. Not sure why but just couldn't get a good setup at all. My legs felt tired to begin with today so maybe I am just not fully recovered from Saturday. I think I might be going to the little plates sooner than I had planned...

Derek Simonds
08-30-2010, 05:49 PM
30 August 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class but had to cut out early and didn't stay for advanced. A very accomplished wrestler and pro MMA guy came and trained at the academy after I left. Blah. Oh well sometimes you just have to be responsible...

Derek Weaver
08-30-2010, 06:20 PM
How many total training sessions are you getting in per week these days between BJJ and the weight room?

Saturday looked like a real nice day all around.

Derek Simonds
08-31-2010, 03:44 AM
It sounds nutty but here is what a typical week looks like. Remember everything is fluid based on family and travel.

M, W, F Weight training. Right now I am reinventing some parts of my lifts and it is vaguely a SS'ish template. Don't know how much longer I will go like this as it is a grind to get everything done in under 90 minutes.

M, W, S BJJ usually 2 hours once again it is fluid so just see what happens. My goal is to go to the academy 2 times per week on average so that at the end of the year I have 200 hours on the mat. That keeps me on track with getting my BB in 2015.

T, H or Sun Some type of cardio not to exceed 152 HR. It seems like everyone I know is getting ready for running season this fall so I am also. The running fits in with what I am trying to do for my BJJ anyways.

Conditioning and weights are all done at 5:30 in the morning. BJJ is only done when the kids have gymnastics or they can go with me. Saturdays they go with me. Monday and Wednesday they both train until 7:30. So the schedule works for me.

Now here is something I haven't mentioned yet as I was waiting for the details. I got selected to be part of Joel Jamiesons BioForce Beta. I don't know all the details yet but expect to get them this week. I figured I would give whatever the program is a go for the beta period and try and learn on the way. Here is the equipment he said would be needed.

- Stopwatch
- Tape measure (minimum of 30 feet in length)
- HR monitor (Strongly recommended but not mandatory)
- Free weights for Bench Press and Squat
- Station for doing pull ups on
- Someone to spot you and count reps

31 August 2010 Tuesday

25 Minutes of running. Nice easy intervals with a neighbor.

Lots of grip work in the garage.

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 04:54 AM
Now here is something I haven't mentioned yet as I was waiting for the details. I got selected to be part of Joel Jamiesons BioForce Beta. I don't know all the details yet but expect to get them this week. I figured I would give whatever the program is a go for the beta period and try and learn on the way. Here is the equipment he said would be needed.

Man they just let everyone into that beta....

Seriously though, what is it? I had the emails and got "selected" but have 0 idea what it means.

Derek Simonds
08-31-2010, 06:40 AM
Man they just let everyone into that beta....

Seriously though, what is it? I had the emails and got "selected" but have 0 idea what it means.

That is why I didn't say anything. He claims he only let in 100 but we will see about that. With these kind of things if you want 100 you probably got to email back 500. I am just sitting here waiting to see. I am pretty sure it is his online tool to give you feedback about where you are fitness wise against his ideal MMA fighter. My best guess is you do the evaluation, it recommends a course of action and you record your workouts and progress in it.

But who knows. If it is interesting I am in for 6 weeks if not I will stay the course.

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Wendler RE: rack pulls

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/blood_amp_chalk_vol_7_jim_wendler_talks_big_weight s

Hm..

So let's say you're running my 5/3/1 program and wish to add rack pulls into the training. Because it's a bigger assistance exercise, we can easily account for it with some minor changes:
Rack Deadlifts: 4 x 6-8 reps at 80% of rack dead max
Truth is though, that's a major pain in the ass, so just pick a setting below your knees and tug away.

Interesting stuff.

Derek Simonds
08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I am certainly guilty of the straps and working up to a heavy single on rack pulls. When I was doing rack pulls consistently was also when I had my heaviest conventional DL. When I get done with this SS cycle and go back to 5/3/1 I will revisit rack pulls.

There is no doubt his snark is weapons grade.

Derek Simonds
09-01-2010, 03:45 AM
1 September 2010 Wednesday

Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC + PJ 45 X 5, 95 X 3,2 115 X 2, 135 X 1, 145 X 1 X 10 on the minute

Press 45 X 5,5 75 X 5, 95 X 1, 105 X 5,5,5 + 1 for the Ranger in the sky
P/U 4 X 6

Ab Rollout 10,10,5
Elbow Flexion N,W,R 50 X 12

Tricep Extension 50 X 12 X 3 + Prison Yard Press X 25 AFAP

Pretty pleased with the PC's they felt good. The jerks were more work for sure. I missed the 5th jerk by throwing the weight too far and then missing the catch with my left hand. Instead of trying to catch it I just dropped it. The presses felt surprisingly good. The first set I thought this might be tough and then the next 2 sets no problem. The ab rollouts got me though. The first set 10 was easy the second 10 was a challenge and the last set my lower abs cramped up on me and I surrendered. RPE PC 6, PJ 8.5, Press 7

Derek Weaver
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I am certainly guilty of the straps and working up to a heavy single on rack pulls. When I was doing rack pulls consistently was also when I had my heaviest conventional DL. When I get done with this SS cycle and go back to 5/3/1 I will revisit rack pulls.

There is no doubt his snark is weapons grade.

I've actually never done rack pulls (don't have a rack) so, this may be a dumb question.

In addition to working a sticking point (say just below or above the knees depending on the lifter etc.) and aiding the lockout, did you think there was a psychological carryover?

I saw something that Tony Gentilcore wrote regarding board presses and how he liked them even for raw lifters since it got the athlete used to feeling a heavy weight in addition to working what is usually the weakest point in the bench press.

I figured there may be something similar going on with rack pulls since it seems that most people can pull a substantial amount of weight relative to their deadlift from the deck.

Derek Simonds
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree with the psychological aspect of it. Where it gets dicey is what Wendler said about if the pull starts above the knee. Your form is completely and totally different from there. Adam Glass was doing really high rack pulls with 1000-1500 lb's working on the tendons and ligature. So many variables with all this stuff. I liked the idea of 6-8 reps though.

Derek Weaver
09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I see. I really wonder sometimes how a lift so simple as the deadlift can be so complicated when trying to assist it.

Starting above the knee for a rack pull changes the pull perhaps too much. Starting from a deficit would indicate something similar with regards to the necessary change in set up.

Confusing sometimes.

Derek Simonds
09-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I like to think that it is just step up and pull.... but it really isn't but it is if you catch my drift.

I have pulled from a deficit, rack pulled, pulled with straps, pulled clean grip, pulled snatch grip, pulled snatch grip from a box and pulled sumo and I still am weak as circus lemonade in the DL. I am hoping that this go around is going to be a breakthrough for me. I know I am feeling really good in the sumo DL not so much conventional but I am not going to stop until I can get a clean 405 conventional DL. That might take a year but I will get there.

Derek Simonds
09-01-2010, 06:39 PM
1 September 2010 Wed PM

BJJ Fundamentals: osoto-gari, guillotine, guillotine defense, leg over shoulder guard pass, armbar from mount

BJJ Advanced: Takedown practice any entry you want. I worked osoto-gari and uchi-mata, guard pass knee up same side, guard pass knee up opposite side to 100 kilo, grapple.

Grappled 2 X 10 minute rounds tonight. First round was with another purple and I set the pace and worked a bunch of different moves. No real subs (got a tap for smothering him from the mount) but definitely won the positional battles. I wanted to flow more but he was using a lot of strength so I responded in kind. Last match was with a 4 stripe white belt who in my mind is probably just like Leon. Big, honking strong as an ox and a go getter. We had a lot of fun. I went for his back 4 times the first 3 he literally pressed me straight off of him. I was laughing and did not know how to stop him. So I kept doing it till I got his back. I had to take his back from the turtle cause any other way he was so strong he just defended. I should have gone for an armbar when he pressed me but I was so amazed at the time I didn't think of it. I was a lot more free flowing with him but there was still lots of muscling being done on both sides. I told him how impressed I was and he asked for criticism and I told him just keep doing what you are doing.

After class I stayed and worked the armbar to triangle from Saturday and taking the back from closed guard for a little bit. Lots of good stuff tonight.

Derek Weaver
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I like to think that it is just step up and pull.... but it really isn't but it is if you catch my drift.

I have pulled from a deficit, rack pulled, pulled with straps, pulled clean grip, pulled snatch grip, pulled snatch grip from a box and pulled sumo and I still am weak as circus lemonade in the DL. I am hoping that this go around is going to be a breakthrough for me. I know I am feeling really good in the sumo DL not so much conventional but I am not going to stop until I can get a clean 405 conventional DL. That might take a year but I will get there.

That italicized sentence is very, very true.

I think it's interesting in that a lot of powerlifters only deadlift once a week at the most. Often every 2-3 weeks or longer between pulls.

Others, like Cressey may program a higher volume of pulling per session and per week. It's all quasi black magic with the deadlift.

Dave Coughlin
09-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Re: rack pulls in 531....

I haven't utilized rack pulls as assistance work for my DLs since I've started my 531 (about to start week 3 of my third 531 cycle); I've only used GHD situps (moderate reps), reverse hypers, pullups, and maybe even some good mornings. My own experience has that final max rep set beats me down so much, the last thing I want to do is go back to a movement similar to that of a deadlift...my back and hamstrings are usually pretty fried. That is true even moreso on my current 531 cycle, because I was able to find out my true 1RM DL and adjust my numbers a few pounds higher.

Derek Simonds
09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Dave I am with you on being fried after the top set. The way I programmed assistance work in 5/3/1 was to do it on the opposite day. So on BS day I would do a DL focused assistance movement and on DL day I did a BS focused assistance movement. Don't know if that is ideal but it worked well for me.

A couple of things that are coming out of this rebuilding phase. My low back was not as strong as I though it was and I believe that has been a limiting factor on my BS. Item 2 I love to sumo DL. Todays set of 305 X 5 was pleasant. I don't know why sumo feels so much better. Maybe the shorter lever arms vs my longer torso, who knows it just feels good. Monday I got 305 X 3 conventional and I was gassed. I also have found rebuilding my BS that a slightly wider and feet more turned out position has made a world of difference on my ability to stay tight in the bottom. I think that those mWods have also made a difference today I squatted so low I hit the safety bars with my torso very upright and drove right out of the hole like it was nothing. Now I know I am not lifting that much weight, I was however pleased.

Derek Simonds
09-03-2010, 06:54 AM
3 September 2010 Friday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 195 X 5,5,5
MR Planche Chin Ups (like Derek W linked to) 3 X 10
Bench 45 X 5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 190 X 5,5,6

SDL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 5

RPE Bench 8.5, BS 7, DL 6.5

My abs hurt so bad from the ab roller on Weds. Ridiculous. The planche chin ups made my entire stomach scream. Must mean they work... I am very happy with the progress so far and am taking next week for recovery then back at it. Looking forward to seeing how far I can progress on BS and DL.

Leon Robotham
09-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Damn, subbing someone by smothering them in side.. That's pretty cool!!

I've been told from a fridn of mine who's trained in Brazil for years that his teacher, Crezio De Souza would take mount and pull his gi over their head to try to suffocate them haha.

Derek Simonds
09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Damn, subbing someone by smothering them in side.. That's pretty cool!!

I've been told from a fridn of mine who's trained in Brazil for years that his teacher, Crezio De Souza would take mount and pull his gi over their head to try to suffocate them haha.

I don't realize sometimes how much leverage (meaning ultimately smothering) you can apply when you get a high mount and then lean out over their head and work to attack an arm. Which is what I was doing his face just happened to be buried in my stomach and I was controlling the body by controlling the head...

Derek Simonds
09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
3 Sept 2010 Friday Lunch = Competition Class / Open Mat

Literally 25+ Purple belts and higher on the mat today. Grappled 2 times with a friend that ended up being about 25 minutes total time. Wow!!! I was focused on moving and not using strength unless I needed it. I am really focused on moving into a sub hitting it and moving on. Finished with a quick grapple with my buddy Chili who joined the forum yesterday. He is super strong and I had to go get back to work so unfortunately had to bow out.

Leon Robotham
09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't realize sometimes how much leverage (meaning ultimately smothering) you can apply when you get a high mount and then lean out over their head and work to attack an arm. Which is what I was doing his face just happened to be buried in my stomach and I was controlling the body by controlling the head...

I need to give that a try soon! It's basically where Roger hangs out all the time in matches before getting the collar choke. Im suprised i've not seen him tap somebody out like that really.

Leon Robotham
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
3 Sept 2010 Friday Lunch = Competition Class / Open Mat

Literally 25+ Purple belts and higher on the mat today. Grappled 2 times with a friend that ended up being about 25 minutes total time. Wow!!! I was focused on moving and not using strength unless I needed it. I am really focused on moving into a sub hitting it and moving on. Finished with a quick grapple with my buddy Chili who joined the forum yesterday. He is super strong and I had to go get back to work so unfortunately had to bow out.

This type of stuff is exactly what I need. With lots of experienced guys on the mat you can't do anything but improve.

Derek Simonds
09-07-2010, 03:43 AM
7 September 2010 Tuesday

Man I have been thinking it is Monday since last night. I put the trash out to be picked up but they run on Monday...

D W/U
Band Work
Foam Roll

DeLoad Week

Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 100 X 5
BS 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 195 X 5

DL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 4, 225 X 3, 275 X 2, 305 X 1

I did my deload a little differently this time. In the past after my deload week I have not felt good with the heavy weights. So this time I worked up to a heavy set but no where near the same volume. I didn't feel taxed at all so I will see how this works.

Man we had a great time at the lake. I got some great pictures of the kids I will post later. We got a new ski rope that is super thin and doesn't stretch at all. When you cut it transfers all the energy directly to you. I was able to launch like never before. I practiced some flat water switching of feet forward and did a couple of deep water starts regular footed (which is backwards for me). I figured it was time to start working on some new tricks to stay ahead of Jr.

We also surfed behind the boat. We put 4 guys in the left rear corner of the boat , and kept the RPM's about 1900 and turned slightly left the entire time. This created a huge wake and we were able to get up with a rope then slide into the wake and surf it. I never could go for more then 15 -20 seconds without the rope and then I would have to pull back on the rope to stay with the wake. Lots of fun.

Derek Simonds
09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of the kids from this weekend.

Jr hitting a pretty big tail grab.

http://i55.tinypic.com/i1hafk.jpg

Laney outside the wake with some of Florida's finest water lilies in the back.

http://i52.tinypic.com/oqfyuu.jpg

Laney in the middle of one of the multitude of 360's she did this weekend.

http://i52.tinypic.com/b3vp4y.jpg

Derek Simonds
09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Jr landing a wake to wake on the kneeboard.

http://i52.tinypic.com/vndog1.jpg

Laney with her first ever jump on a wakeboard. Not a whole lot of air under that board but she did jump and she landed it! She is wearing gloves which was funny because as she jumped in the water she looked over at me and said dad I am still wearing Bubba's gloves. I said baby that is what they are for and that made her happy that she got to use them.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ez64as.jpg

Really had a great weekend and we spent most of the time turning dollars into exhaust fumes pulling kids around the lake. As far as I am concerned it doesn't get much better than that!

Allen Yeh
09-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Check this out:
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/09/02/neck-training-variation-with-bands/

Derek Simonds
09-09-2010, 07:16 AM
I need to get some different sized bands and take them with me on the road. That was a cool video.

8 September 2010 PM

Long, long day yesterday up at 04:30 out the door to the airport by 05:00 and in meetings in Chicago at 10:00. Got finished drove an hour to Gracie Barra Chicago and trained no-gi. Good school, good vibe and a couple of cool technique variations for when someone tries to roll out of side control.

Grappled two times 1 with a purple and 1 with a 4 stripe blue. Both had great defense and I just flowed. Oh and the smallest guy there was probably 185 with most of them over 200. It was nice having a lot of guys about the same size to work with. I don't like going into another academy and seeming like I am head hunting so I would set up a sub and move on. I was able to dominate positionally with both guys without using a ton of strength so I represented well.

I must have been smoked I slept in till 08:00 this morning and now am out the door for day 2 of meetings.

Derek Simonds
09-10-2010, 06:40 AM
10 September 2010

Finished up my meetings and caught the late flight home. I walked in at 12:15 and got up with the kids at 6:00. It is so nice to be able to be home with the kids before they go to school. I truly enjoy that time.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5, 195 X 5
Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5, 190 X 5

Nice and quick and out the door to work.

Derek Simonds
09-11-2010, 02:48 PM
11 September 2010

BJJ All Levels:

I met up with a buddy and trained for 20 minutes before class. Had two very good rolls. Class was all about the same stuff we worked in Chicago... That was weird how it all fell together. So more stuff when your opponent tries to roll to their knees from side control. Finished with positional grappling top and bottom.

Great class today. Chili you missed out brother.

I am off to do my charity auctioneering duties at the 8th annual Wild Wild West. Should be lots of fun.

Derek Simonds
09-13-2010, 03:51 AM
13 September 2010 Monday

I have decided there just isn't enough time between 5:30 and 6:30 to do everything I want. Gonna have to figure this out.

K-Star Running MWOD
D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 3, 200 X 5,5,5
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 195 X 5,5,5
P/U 5,5,6,6,5,5,5

I was pretty much done at 6:15 but that isn't enough time to get DL's in before I need to be helping with the kids for school. I did the K-Star stuff @ 5:20 and then started the rest of my stuff @ 5:30.

It was kind of interesting this morning. My partner no-called no-showed, I split my shorts on the first work set of BS's and I had to get my wife to spot me on the bench. I did the first set sans spot and was not comfortable. Having her spot me allowed me to really get after it the last set. I am going to 200 on Friday and then increasing by only 5 lb's per 2 workouts from there out.

The auction this weekend went really well. We raised 3000 more dollars in the live auction then in each of the last 3 years. I have a couple of action photos of me auctioneering that are pretty funny I will post later.

Eduardo Chile
09-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Hey Derek,

Do you have a power rack? I bench by myself and have learned how to pull the bar out and stay tight. I try to arch as much as possible and if I fail the bar will rest on the pins and can safely move out.

Letting my back heal. Feels like mi SI joint. Might be able to go back jits this week.

Derek Simonds
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey Derek,

Do you have a power rack? I bench by myself and have learned how to pull the bar out and stay tight. I try to arch as much as possible and if I fail the bar will rest on the pins and can safely move out.

Letting my back heal. Feels like mi SI joint. Might be able to go back jits this week.

I do have a power rack but have never benched in it. I will start playing with it.

On the SI let me know if you want to get in to see my wife she is a LMT and will get you back up and going in no time. She is really good with injury rehab stuff. Probably her main source of referral is people she has got straightened out. BJJ was great Saturday.

Derek Simonds
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Here is me as the Wild Wild West auctioneer. The light colored hat seems to go well with the grey hair.

http://i52.tinypic.com/214avwo.jpg

Here is my lovely wife working the crowd for me.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zxwieb.jpg

Allen Yeh
09-14-2010, 03:16 AM
I've been trying to do my MobWOD stuff separately from everything else, that's ~10+ minutes right there. Like you said I try to stick with ~1 hour in the gym.

Derek Simonds
09-14-2010, 03:37 AM
I've been trying to do my MobWOD stuff separately from everything else, that's ~10+ minutes right there. Like you said I try to stick with ~1 hour in the gym.

I think that is the only way to do it. Tracy is going to do it with me so I think we will probably do it right before we go to bed. I just don't have anymore then an hour in the morning unless I want to get up earlier which I am trying to avoid.

Derek Simonds
09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
September 13 Monday PM

Trained for 30 minutes before class and drilled these two moves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmvpNiGG3MY

The latch guard and sweep. I found this to be about the easiest sweep I have ever worked from a half guard variant. In drilling with resistance I was able to secure the leg quickly and move to the back. This is a big two thumbs up from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mm6m1OFlE

This move is just plain shitty. It has to be a high percentage as I couldn't find a way to defend it if they get the arm wrapped around the head. It is kind of like a gogoplata from side with all your weight behind it and shittier.

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked single leg, single leg defense, sprawl, take the back, RNC and gi choke. I trained with one of our 2 stripe blue belts and helped him clean up his game on taking the back. It was a lot of fun and dude is strong.

Leon if you read this you probably already know this but I wanted to point it out. One of the common things I saw yesterday was that when going for the back from the turtle position most people were focusing on their top leg instead of their bottom leg. The bottom leg is the key. You have to get that leg through and secure the hip immediately to retain the position effectively.

Allen Yeh
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
I think that is the only way to do it. Tracy is going to do it with me so I think we will probably do it right before we go to bed. I just don't have anymore then an hour in the morning unless I want to get up earlier which I am trying to avoid.

The only times I do the Mob WOD at the same time is if there is equipment I need at the gym, but since you have everything there. it's no problem. The last 2 nights all my MobWOD's were done in front of the TV.

Derek Simonds
09-15-2010, 04:23 AM
15 Sept 2010 Wednesday

Interesting morning workout Started a little later but still close to 5:30 and just finished at 7:15. I didn't have any kid responsibilities this morning and I wanted to make sure to get my DL's in.

Dog Walk
Foam Rolling
Some Static Stretching
B W/U

PC + PJ 45 X 5, 95 X 3,3,2, 115 X 2,2, 135 X 2,2,2 155 X 1, 160 X 1, 165 X 1

Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 3, 110 X 5,5,5
CTB Planche C/U + Full Stretch at Bottom 3 X 7

SDL 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 310 X 5

Everything was great this morning except the PC's. On the last two sets instead of dipping straight down I was kind of jumping wider to catch the weight. Didn't like that at all. The PJ was sweet though. I need to do more with heavier weights to get comfortable with my hand position (wrist) in the catch but it was no problem at all. The press was smooth. Challenging but smooth. The DL's came up like butter. RPE PC 9, PJ 7, Press 8, DL 7.

Off to work.

Samuel Hughes
09-15-2010, 05:11 AM
I was just looking through your log and couldn't find when you started using RPE's. What was your intent and hows it going, just out of curiosity.

Derek Simonds
09-15-2010, 06:10 AM
I don't remember when I started putting them in my log but it hasn't been long and I haven't been consistent. Every time I lift I mentally assign an RPE so I can keep track of what I am going to do next lifting session. Right now I am in a real basic rebuilding phase of linear progression and the purpose of the RPE's is for me to determine if I am going to go up 5 lb's or 1 LB the next session. So far it has all been 5 lb increases so kind of a mute point.

How I will use it though will be next Wednesday when I PC I will back up to 155 and work on my form and then start increasing from there once I feel I am good. I didn't log it but my bench work on Monday was a solid 9. I am going to get 200 X 5 X 3 and then like I said go to 5 lb's per every 2 workouts. 2lb's one workout then 3 more lb's the next workout and so on.

When I get to a point where everything is a 9 all the time I am going to reset and go back on 5/3/1 and see where I go from there. I am interested in what my buddy Chili is doing and might go that route based on what I see from him and how he likes his workout plan.

Hope that answers the question.

Samuel Hughes
09-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I was just curious why they were cropping up. I like the thought, hope it works well. Good luck with your training.

Derek Simonds
09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
15 Sept Wed PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Screwed around for about 15 minutes before class. Class was same as Monday except A/C was broken. I was extremely thankful that I had to pick Jr up from Gymnastics and hauled ass.

Derek Weaver
09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't remember when I started putting them in my log but it hasn't been long and I haven't been consistent. Every time I lift I mentally assign an RPE so I can keep track of what I am going to do next lifting session. Right now I am in a real basic rebuilding phase of linear progression and the purpose of the RPE's is for me to determine if I am going to go up 5 lb's or 1 LB the next session. So far it has all been 5 lb increases so kind of a mute point.

How I will use it though will be next Wednesday when I PC I will back up to 155 and work on my form and then start increasing from there once I feel I am good. I didn't log it but my bench work on Monday was a solid 9. I am going to get 200 X 5 X 3 and then like I said go to 5 lb's per every 2 workouts. 2lb's one workout then 3 more lb's the next workout and so on.

When I get to a point where everything is a 9 all the time I am going to reset and go back on 5/3/1 and see where I go from there. I am interested in what my buddy Chili is doing and might go that route based on what I see from him and how he likes his workout plan.

Hope that answers the question.

Nice approach. solid discipline as well.

Derek Simonds
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
16 September Thursday

Morning was going to run but just wasn't feeling it. Ended up doing 20 minutes of mobility, stretching and pre-hab stuff then did some elbow flexion and extension.

Lunch No-Gi: Wow we had a stacked class today. There was Jonathan from TUF, a guy getting ready for a fight in Japan a wrestling coach, a couple of other pro MMA team members and us regular guys. We worked some kimura stuff then did monkey in the middle with Jim, Jonanthon and Eric. Started with takedowns. I did ok and even stuffed one of the pro guys shoots with a good sprawl, he did take me down though. I was able to get a couple of takedowns. Somewhere in the midst of all that I took a shot to the heel bone of my right foot and I can hardly put pressure on it. We took a break and then did pass or sweep for the rest of the class. I was able to pass every time I was up. I do enjoy No-Gi for that part of it. When you are sweating it makes the passes much easier.

Now here is my thought for today. There is a point in the pass where 99% of people will give up and let you by, it is a true fighter that doesn't concede that pass and keeps fighting to prevent you from securing position.

I love the energy when there are guys training for something big. Not just training but getting ready for a battle! That changes everything.

Derek Simonds
09-17-2010, 05:37 AM
My heel is f***ed up! Ice and ibuprofen aren't really changing anything. Glad I am not fighting tomorrow. Now I am not sure if I can do the testing this week. No way I could triple jump right now.

Allen Yeh
09-17-2010, 05:44 AM
That sucks!

Derek Simonds
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
17 September 2010 Lunch

BJJ Competition Class / Open Mat:

Drilled for 25 minutes with one of my friends on all the stuff I have been working lately. Had a great go with him and cleaned up some of the moves I have been working. Then I had the privilege to grapple with a couple of our black belts. The first guy I ended up with closed guard secured my favorite underhook collar grab and then he shoved my other hand under my body to his hand I had trapped behind my back. It effectively was his free hand against me with no hands as both my hands were busy. It was a very interesting position for a few moments. And if a guy is strong that is very hard grip to break. Unfortunately after a scramble he tried to pull me into a triangle and I dropped my knee to block and kneed him square in the family jewels... I apologized to him profusely as I know how bad that sucks!

I grappled with Fabin after that for about 20 minutes. It was incredible. He is so dynamic and I spend way too much time defending but that my friends is the difference in skill. We had several rolling sweeps where I was sure I had him and yet somehow he was never where I planned by the time we landed. I used an MMA guard pass and was just about clear when he got an inside out arm lock on me and I begged for mercy. Worst part is I saw it coming and just couldn't react fast enough.

During one of the rolls with Fabin as I was escaping side control he tried to turn into me and secure my head and I ate a vicious elbow to the button. I saw stars momentarily and then muddled on with my escape. Whenever that happens I always think about a quote I heard somewhere paraphrased here. "Everybody has a plan until they get hit square in the kisser!" I agree.

Derek Simonds
09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
20 September 2010 Monday

I did absolutely nothing this weekend. I watched a ton of college football on Saturday. Did the same with the pros yesterday. The pros were interesting because AT&T gave a free preview to the NFL redzone channel and that was nice. If you have ADD in any way and like football the redzone channel is the way to go. At the end of the day they said there was 63 touchdowns scored and they showed every one. I made the Texas Chili off 70's Big. It was a huge hit.

Tracy and Jr are down with really bad colds. Laney and I are good as of now and are avoiding contact with those two. My sister in TN father in law passed away unexpectedly last night and I waiting to hear the funeral plans. I wasn't close with Sam but am with my sister and her husband so I plan on traveling there based on when the funeral is. The reason why I mention the funeral is I got the text at 2:00 AM and it really weighed on my mind as I was working out. There is no reason not to let the people in your life know every day how special they are to you. We just don't know what the next day brings.

Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X5, 185 X 3, 205 X 5,5,5
Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 5,5,5
P/U's 4,5,6,7,8,4

Like I said I was very introspective this morning and the time alone in the gym helped me a ton. Laney hung out with me while I finished my last sets. On the press she said how many do you need to do. I said 5 she said ok I will watch and if I think you need to I will tell you to do 6. I laughed out loud. It is awesome to have kids around. Let's see RPE today BS 7, press 8.5 (they were really slow going up).

Derek Weaver
09-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the death Derek. Good self reflection/introspection.

Different subject, but how's the heel?

Derek Simonds
09-21-2010, 05:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the death Derek. Good self reflection/introspection.

Different subject, but how's the heel?

Thanks. The heel is still sore. Taking the weekend off made a huge difference. I iced it a lot and it is coming along nicely. I am pretty sure it was a bone bruise or something similar. Last night at BJJ a girl that was watching told her mom that guy isn't doing the jumping jacks and I laughed. No jumping or running as of now for me.

20 Sept 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked bear hug self defense, armbar sweep, butterfly sweep and cross collar choke. I had another new guy with no martial arts or wrestling but was a bouncer at a biker bar. He went everything full f'ing tilt. It was fun to wrok with him and he kept telling me how much fun he was having. I think he will be back.

21 Sept 2010 AM

Supposed to have a private with Mark and Fabin. I drove in and right when I got to the academy I got a text from Mark that he was puking and wasn't going to make it. Fabin got the same text and turned around and went home. I went to Chik-Fil-A and had breakfast. Sucks when you drive 45 minutes for nothing but totally understand. I went ahead and came to work and handled some emails and am going to make my final decision on the funeral.

Hopefully I can get in a workout session tonight at home.

Derek Simonds
09-21-2010, 05:46 PM
21 September 2010 PM

D W/U
Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC + PJ 45 X 5, 95 X 5,4,3,2,1

Bench up to 200 X 3,3, 185 X 5
SDL up to 325 X 3

My head just wasn't into it and I think I was more tired from yesterdays lifting then I thought. 200 was just ridiculously hard on the bench. DL were easy and I was too distracted to put on the right amount of change so I threw on 2 X 25 lb'ers and lifted.

Made a decision not to miss the funeral and am flying out at 07:00 tomorrow. I am flying back late Thursday and Tracy leaves for Michigan to spend time with her brother on Thursday so we are passing in the air.

I am looking forward to a weekend with just me and the kids. We are going to wear under armor and make lots of messes!

Derek Simonds
09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Apparently with the funeral, travel and various other negative factors I Weavered myself good. I went to the doctor Saturday morning and hit the trifecta of upper respiratory infections. Bronchitis, sinusitis and an ear infection. Yeah me.

I went ahead and came up to the lake with the kids so at least they could have some fun this weekend with their cousins while I convalesced.

Big win for Auburn last night. Cam Newton is an incredible athlete. I took two naps plus slept 10 hours last night. I ate well and feel remarkably better today. I think I am still sick as all get out just not feeling like re-heated ass as I was yesterday.

Hoping to get somewhere to see the Tampa game and then to the house to continue to recover.

Kevin Perry
09-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Sorry about everything Derek, hope you get better quick.

By the way, I watched that game, SC did really bad.

Derek Simonds
09-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks Kevin. I think that loss goes on Spurrier. Either Garcia was hurt a lot more than we know or Spurrier is a complete dink for pulling him. That freshman looked good but got absolutely man handled towards the end of the game.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2010, 07:45 AM
29 October 2010

Last night I felt pretty decent so decided to do a recovery workout today. Only alloted 30 minutes for the workout to keep me honest.

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 75 X 5,5,5
BS 45 X 5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5,5,5
P/U 3 X 5

I was trying to be nice and controlled with a good stretch at the bottom of the P/U's and I tweaked a muscle in my neck by slowly pushing over the bar at the top. That was irritating. I actually felt really strong this morning but kept myself from getting too ambitious. My neck will be fine it is just an irritant more than anything. Plus my back was extremely sore when I started so I think it was a combination of things.

Good to be in the gym this morning.

Dave Coughlin
09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Just catching up....

Sorry to hear about the loss in the family. Thanks for inspiring an introspective moment, as a result of your post. The McConnell family tragedy was a pretty poignant catalyst for me doing that same thing you mention, about telling others how much they mean to you.

Hope you're finally feeling better, colds/sinuses/etc in a house with kids has been a never-ending struggle for us.

How you liking the Sumo DL? Have you converted 100%? I still have never done it, outside of FGB or CF metcons; however, I am intrigued as to the extra poundage I could add to my 1RM DL.....

Gant Grimes
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Derek Simonds
09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys. Being there for my sister and her family was truly the most important thing I could have done.

in regards to Sumo DL'ing, I am all about it. I think that it just feels more natural to me the more I do it. Gant gave me some good tips and every time I DL I get more comfortable. I was setting up with my toes basically touching the wheels. After squishing my foot a couple of times putting the weight down I slid my feet in a little. Now I set up so that my shin is just a little outside of vertical when I grab the bar. That equates to about 2 to 3 inches in from the plates for my toes. That alone has made me feel even stronger. Play with it some and see how it feels. I know you are tall also. For me with my long arms it really shortens the lifting distance.

Derek Simonds
10-01-2010, 06:16 AM
30 Sept Thursday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: I Planned on easing back into it. I went about half on the warmup and then was uke for Fabio. There was an even amount of guys so I decided to help anyone that was struggling. Fabio asked me to work with a guy who was in his second class. I did after takedowns. He was out of breath and kept saying I don't feel so good. I had him get some water and sit on the sides for 5 minutes. He came back did 2 more reps of the move we working and said I got to sit down again.

I kept an eye on him and worked with a couple of guys that were next to me. I looked over and he was sitting against the wall and his eyes rolled back in his head and his body shot out stiff as a board in a grand mal siezure. Dude was suspended with his head on the wall and feet on the floor at a 30 degree angle with nothing else touching.

I ran over and grabbed him and yelled for help to get him on his side. As soon as that was done I yelled for the front desk to call 911. Some of Dave's brethren at OFD were there within 7 minutes. Very professional people and did a great job getting him off to the hospital. All in under 25 minutes start to finish.

The guy had no ID in his bag and put his own cell number as the emergency contact number. That doesn't make a lot of sense. I hope he is good.

So needless to say that was the end of class and I wasn't staying for No-Gi so I packed up and went home.

Derek Simonds
10-01-2010, 06:18 AM
1 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll

SDL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5 X 3
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 4

All good on the lifts. I was coughing again this morning and that just perturbs me to no end. Laney woke up without her alarm at 6:00 so she was up and in the gym with me before Tracy and Jr got up. I finished my lifting as quick as possible so that her and I could go on a walk with the dogs together. Which we did and was awesome. I love spending time with her, she is growing so fast.

Derek Simonds
10-04-2010, 06:42 AM
2 October 2010 Saturday

Fabian Reyes benefit seminar at GBO. Each of our black belts rolled out some of their best techniques it was a riot. I will do a detailed write up some time this week. We went for about 2:30 hours with probably around 70 people attending. Mat space was at a premium.

4 October 2010Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Low Pulls 20 X 3
Chin Up Grip Hollow Hold X 15 seconds by 3
Press 45 X 5,5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5,5,5
Chin Up 4, 4, 4, 5

OLAD for the remainder of this week and back at it hard next week. Traveling to Nashville and plan on training some leg locks this afternoon and maybe sneak up and see David Whitley at his new place.

Derek Simonds
10-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Here is a short clip from the benefit on Saturday. Check out what happens at 2:16. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3oXiYZWL9g That was not the move we were working on.

Derek Simonds
10-05-2010, 06:35 AM
4 October 2010 Monday

Private with Shawn Hammonds at Nashville MMA. I called Shawn and told him that I wanted to work on foot locks and foot lock defense. So here is what we worked on.

1) Defense against straight ankle locks
a) Hip over to the same side as the foot being attacked and move the ankle on to the hip.
b) If they fall back with the ankle before you can hip over REACT by moving forward grabbing the gi and standing up as they fall. The goal is to get the foot being attacked on the ground as they fall back and you stand up. From there work to pass.
c) If they get set up you have to wear the boot to protect your foot. This works against a lot of different attacks. To wear the boot shove your foot through as much as you can and pull your toes up towards you and tighten everything.

2) Defense against the knee bar
a) From De La Riva guard if they turn to go to knee bar you swim your opposite leg in and take the back. This was the most basic defense I have ever learned and was very natural to me as I am hunting the back a lot anyways. I plan on using this technique to go for the back from De La Riva whether they go for the knee bar or not.

3) Defense against heel hook
a) Ok this on sucks. Basically all you do is roll towards your stomach the way they are facing. We have all seen matches where people roll and roll and roll. The key is when you start to roll to go 1 1/2 rolls so you are belly down and then use your other foot to shove their butt and push / pull your other foot out. I never was able to get out when someone had this sunk in deep.

This stuff was worth the freight by itself. We got a little deeper and lookey what we covered.

1) Knee bar
a) Learned how to set it up from standing or De La Riva. Shawn told me that this was more of a sambo technique then a BJJ technique. The key was that you actually sit on their hip and shoot both legs through underneath their butt and fall back with the knee bar. That isn't a good description and I will try and find a video that shows it better.
b) Worked from half guard top by spinning on your trapped knee into the knee bar. This was silly easy and Shawn says it is a high percentage move. The key is to move quickly and make the move when your opponent tries to go for your outside leg.

2) Straight Ankle
a) Worked with different grips. My best grip was not the figure four but the guillotine grip where you grab the back of the underneath hand. I also worked with grabbing my own gi from the bottom hand. The key is to get your radial into the back of their calf.
b) I really need to learn more about what is legal in which tournaments. It depends on which way you move your leg to cover their leg. If you bring it inside out I think that is illegal in IBJJ.

3) Speaking of guillotine Shawn suggested I go for a front naked choke instead of guillotine. I played with it and what do you know it works great for me.

4) While we were in half we discussed D'arce briefly. Shawn showed me that instead of grabbing his bicep he grabs the inside of his gi with 4 fingers and then puts the pressure on the back of the arm. He also thought I was sprawling to much and wanted me to be more heavy with my chest on the arm.

There was some serious information shared with me. I am going to try really hard to get back both tonight and tomorrow. I know that I am missing stuff and will update as I remember.

Derek Simonds
10-06-2010, 05:39 AM
6 October 2010 PM

Nashville MMA

No-Gi: Worked a neat takedown from the clinch where you snap the arm you are holding down while driving your underhook up and over turn facing the direction that they are leaning block the weighted knee and run through them. Worked well for me from the clinch I will play with it some more. Worked RNC and RNC over the chin, which is nasty. Then finished with armbar from the back. The setup was different. When they block the choke, swim whichever hand is on top up and circle around to trap their arm and lock under your knee. Even with live resistance I was able to get this pretty consistently. I will play some more with it.

Derek Simonds
10-07-2010, 10:58 AM
6 October 2010

Nashville MMA Gi: Worked takedown off of grip break arm drag. Once broken step around grab the back and prepare to either go to a single or of they step back slide in and butterfly sweep from standing.

Worked ezekiel from the back off a failed gi choke. Worked a gi choke from the back with the lapel where you pass your gi to youur own hand under your armpit slide to the side and lock your outside leg over their shoulder and choke. Shawn also showed me how to slide into an ezekiel from a hip away pass.

Another great night of training and I can't wait to get home and practice all these moves.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2010, 06:18 AM
9 October 2010 All Day

Went to Crossfit Evolution first thing in the morning to help Leo with the Iron Curtain Challenge. Really long, long day and I wasn't competing. Highlight of the day was Jr, Laney and me carrying 160 45 and 25 LB bumper plates about 80 meters from front to the back for the first event. We had help in the beginning to stack the weights out front then when the runners took off it was basically the Simonds family running weights. Laney and Jr had a heavy duty yard cart and Jr would load 6 45 LB'ers on it and they would pull it out front. I just would grab plates and carry them. There was 7 flights and they went off at a 5 minute interval so it was a hectic 30 minutes for us.

I took a camera but was so busy I never took any pictures.

Left there and went to BJJ spent 2 hours on the mats drilling. I brought my camera there to shoot some video for Gant but never thought about it.

Went back to Crossfit Evo and watched some more stuff, went to a friends house warming, came back to Evo and finally went home around 6:30. They were still going when I left. I bought a high speed jump rope from Crossboxx and they gave me 2 more for the kids. That was really cool. I of course had to play with it last night and hit 10 DU's in a row. Haven't done that ever.

Pretty freaking smoked. Today should be nice. We are recovering and going to do either some dove hunting or carbine practice. Either way some trigger time, which is needed before the match on the 24th.

Met up with Dave and he is one big dude. I don't know how he finished but on a size to performance ratio he would have won hands down. In the class he was in there was a bunch of greyhounds and he was the only bull mastiff!

Derek Simonds
10-11-2010, 05:51 AM
11 October 2010 Monday

Trying to get back into it.

D W/U
Dog Walk 10 Minutes
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5,5
Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5,5,5,5

3 Rounds of
100 Jump Rope
5 P/U's
3:50

Done and done. We will see how tomorrow goes.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2010, 06:18 AM
11 October Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: They were fundamental, guillotine, standing guillotine defense, reach back pass, mount, armbar from mount. I worked with a guy that was a biscuit north of 3 hundy, he moved well but made for a miserable experience with him learning the armbar from the mount.

BJJ Advanced: Double leg takedown and variants, north south defense, north south step over arm drag to triangle and keylock attack. During rolling I focused on using my opponents gi to attack and control. So I was bringing in stuff I have been drilling the last couple of weeks and it worked really well. The other thing I did was to really go easy except when I needed to explode. I felt great. I got a great compliment from a brown belt when he said man you are the most busy guy I have ever rolled with, you are always doing something to make me react. Yeah that is what I have been working towards.

Derek Weaver
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
When's your next BJJ tournament?

Sounds like you've gotten a ton of mat time lately.

Derek Simonds
10-13-2010, 06:06 AM
I have been working it. I want to start competing again end of October / November. I am planning on hitting some major tournaments this coming year. My main goal has been to try and average 2 classes a week. When I can I hit as many as possible.

12 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5,5
SDL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 3

Finisher
C/U 5,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,3
GS Push Up 1... 10
About 7 minutes

Leon Robotham
10-14-2010, 05:06 AM
your training looks to have been going really well mate, especially the BJJ. So you plan on competing quite heavily throughout 2011 then?

How was the private with Shawn? Any of Lloyd's students are beasts in their own right, what is your thought on his methods? Just find something they're good at and drill it and drill it until that particular set of techniques (the ones that work for the individual) become black belt standard?? There's no denying his guys shred up the competition on the mat!

Derek Simonds
10-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Shawn is an incredible instructor. I see some similarities in my game to his so I learned a ton. It helped me a lot to put some more finishes into my game.

There was one technique that he showed me and he told me that he wanted me to drill it at least 500 times in the next month. Think about that. Not try it in grappling but drill it 500 times in 30 days. He said that it should work great for me and I need to have engrained in my head.

Leon Robotham
10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Shawn is an incredible instructor. I see some similarities in my game to his so I learned a ton. It helped me a lot to put some more finishes into my game.

There was one technique that he showed me and he told me that he wanted me to drill it at least 500 times in the next month. Think about that. Not try it in grappling but drill it 500 times in 30 days. He said that it should work great for me and I need to have engrained in my head.

WOW 500 times in a month.... No wonder Lloyd Irving has so much success, he must have everybody drill that amount of times per month. You might have seen the quote that was posted on our blog by him the other day " Drillers are killers" !? Very true.

That's just made me realise how little drilling I do, jesus h!

Eduardo Chile
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Derek. I agree about the drilling. It is something we really lack at the school and it's hard to find people that want to drill. In baseball we always heard you have to do something 1000 times before it becomes natural. Also frequent drilling is better than a long sessions. You going to Bjj tonight?

Derek Simonds
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Chili I am working over at Biktoberfest today and tomorrow so probably won't make class until next week. I am always willing to drill brother so just let me know what and when and I am there.

Derek Simonds
10-15-2010, 06:18 AM
15 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk
Band Work

Press 45 X 5,5,5 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 100 X 5, 105 X 5, 110 X 5
P/U X 5, 5 C/U X 5, 5

DB Floor Press 40 X 12, 45 X 12 , 50 X 12, 12
DB Hammer Curl 25 X 12, 30 X 12 X 3

Derek Simonds
10-18-2010, 08:26 AM
16 October 2010

Ran in the Deland Fall run with the entire family. Tracy has been sick for almost 4 weeks with that bronchitis crap so she walked instead of running. Delaney asked me to run with her since it was her first race ever. How could I say no! We held hands almost the entire race. We had lots of fun and I talked to her through the entire event. We even had to stop and have a wardrobe change about 2/3 of the way through. Hard to do a quick change when your wife triple knotted the shoe laces...

Jr finished in 25:29 and was the first kid under 18 across the line. Laney and I finished in 39:xx. Jr took first in his division and Laney got 3rd. I think she is about as excited as one can get, she has worn the medal every day since Saturday and is taking it to school today.

Here is a shot of them with their medals. Not too shabby for never running.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2wp84zb.jpg

Derek Simonds
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
18 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

Press 45 X 10,5, 75X 5, 100 X 5 X 4
BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3

Finisher 4 rounds of
100 Single Unders
5 Chin Ups
Total time around 5 minutes

Dave Coughlin
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Cool news about the family run, I am really looking forward to stuff like that.

Hope Biketoberfest was fun, I'm starting my two weeks off with a 102 temp.

Derek Simonds
10-20-2010, 03:45 AM
20 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

SDL 45 X 10, 95, 135, 185, 225, 275, 305 X 5
Bench 45 X 10, 45, 95, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3

4 Rounds of
3 Zercher 80 LB Keg Squats
10 GS Push Ups
5 65 LB FGDB Rowz
6 Minutes

DL's finally are feeling good again. I held the 305 on the last set for 10 seconds. Bench is getting dialed in again. I am going to try and include at least 1 BW exercise every day for some type of finisher. All in all I am happy with where I am this week. I am sore after each workout so I know that things are progressing. I am going to get through the balance of October and figure out what I am doing going forward. Really looking forward to BJJ tonight.

Gant Grimes
10-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Glad you're getting it back. The Run sounded fun. Too bad Laney go held up by her old man.

Derek Simonds
10-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Glad you're getting it back. The Run sounded fun. Too bad Laney go held up by her old man.

Ha! All I can say is at least I ran and I didn't end up feeling like I did when I ran with Jr last year. Little buggar is fast...

I also want to point out as a proud father that I really screwed up Jr's run time. He ran a 25:29 for the 5K.

Derek Simonds
10-20-2010, 09:41 AM
So there was a guy there taking pictures at the race and they sent us the link. I can't link directly to pictures and they were $30 a piece to download them. I am ordering some pictures for the kids but wow pricey.

Anyway here is Jr at the beginning of the race. He took off like a rocket just like last year. Not bad form on the running there young man.

http://i55.tinypic.com/200fbc8.jpg

Lane and I were way over to the right at the beginning.

http://i56.tinypic.com/30vkx8n.jpg

Jr finishing.

http://i52.tinypic.com/mt2pnb.jpg

Lane and I finishing.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2rnvq4o.jpg

Derek Simonds
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM
20 October 2010

Hello my name is Derek and I have a problem... I have been eating paleo to try and get over my bronchitis and unfortunately have lost 10 lb's! No wonder I have been feeling weaker on all my lifts.

BJJ Fundamentals: Headlock defense, standing guard pass sweep counter, half guard pass to mount, keylock

BJJ Advanced: High Crotch Single, Grip Break Elbow Drive High Crotch Single, from there I have no idea what we did as it is a blur. Grappled 3 rounds and finished with Fabio who absolutely completely and totally murdered me tonight. I had no speed and no explosive strength tonight. Never got winded just when needed there was no turbo boost.

I feel like I am almost completely better and I am going to open my diet up and put back on the weight. I am going to try and sneak over tomorrow and train as well so I will see how I feel.

Leon Robotham
10-21-2010, 05:14 AM
20 October 2010

Hello my name is Derek and I have a problem... I have been eating paleo to try and get over my bronchitis and unfortunately have lost 10 lb's! No wonder I have been feeling weaker on all my lifts.

BJJ Fundamentals: Headlock defense, standing guard pass sweep counter, half guard pass to mount, keylock

BJJ Advanced: High Crotch Single, Grip Break Elbow Drive High Crotch Single, from there I have no idea what we did as it is a blur. Grappled 3 rounds and finished with Fabio who absolutely completely and totally murdered me tonight. I had no speed and no explosive strength tonight. Never got winded just when needed there was no turbo boost.

I feel like I am almost completely better and I am going to open my diet up and put back on the weight. I am going to try and sneak over tomorrow and train as well so I will see how I feel.

A 10lb drop in weight is certainly ging to affect your lifts. Did the paleo diet help to clear the bronchitis?

Derek Simonds
10-21-2010, 05:37 AM
A 10lb drop in weight is certainly ging to affect your lifts. Did the paleo diet help to clear the bronchitis?

I have allergies and when I eat non paleo I have more sinus congestion. So wanting to get rid of all the crap I was fighting I decided to go paleo. I believe that helped a lot. I also did some IF just because I wasn't as hungry and I figured it couldn't hurt.

I got on the scale this morning and I was at 196.5 LB's, 57.4% water and 12.7% BF. The water was lower as I am usually around 60% so I might be slightly dehydrated from last night.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Probably a lot of water weight. I'd guess you'll be back up over 200 lbs in a week or so.

I liked the write up on your race by the way.

Derek Simonds
10-22-2010, 05:51 AM
22 October 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95, 135, 165 X 5, 185 X 15
Press 45 X 10, 5, 65 X 5, 95 X 10 X 3

V-Up Med Ball throws 6 LB'er 15 each hand X 2
20 Lb Med Ball Rotational Pass X 30

BB Curl 45 LB N, W, R X 12 each

Dissapointed in myself for not getting to 20 on the squats. I thought I had it but my back caught on fire and I just couldn't get tight on the last couple of reps. Planning on hitting competition class at noon and getting in at least 30 chinups GTG style.

Allen Yeh
10-22-2010, 06:02 AM
When you get a chance check out that MWOD video where he talks about overextension and running...maybe 2-3 weeks ago now? He was at the CF Endurace guys house and the end featured a lacrosse ball/sawzall torture device.

I'm curious if you feel any difference when trying out what he says in regard to running. I noticed a difference but I may just be crazy. The other day I did a 1.1 miles at a 7:12 pace and didn't even notice it. When lately I've been running at a 8:00 pace prior to trying out the keeping rib cage down while running thing.

Derek Simonds
10-22-2010, 08:31 AM
When you get a chance check out that MWOD video where he talks about overextension and running...maybe 2-3 weeks ago now? He was at the CF Endurace guys house and the end featured a lacrosse ball/sawzall torture device.

I'm curious if you feel any difference when trying out what he says in regard to running. I noticed a difference but I may just be crazy. The other day I did a 1.1 miles at a 7:12 pace and didn't even notice it. When lately I've been running at a 8:00 pace prior to trying out the keeping rib cage down while running thing.

Yeah that was really interesting. How are you doing with holding the rib cage down on your overhead pressing? That is a struggle for me.

Derek Simonds
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
22 Oct 2010

BJJ Competition Class / Open Mat: Couple of guys getting ready for professional mma fights next month. Rolled 3 times shortest was 10 minutes other 2 were right at 15 minutes. I am officially smoked. My buddy Remi caught me with a RNC in the second match. I was trying all kinds of shit and staying away from where I am comfortable. It was muy challenging. One more day of training this week.

One other thought is I hate lockdown in half guard. I am going to find that video from Erik Paulson where he uses the lockdown for a submission on the guy doing the lockdown.

Derek Weaver
10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Rolling for 10-15 minutes x 3 rounds sounds worse than high rep back squats.

Derek Simonds
10-25-2010, 06:35 AM
A whole lot to catch up on here.

23 October 2010

Turkey Shoot with Jr, his cousin and a friend. They all did great. I bought the boys each a box of shotgun shells for skeet and they just went at it. Jr was hitting 1 or 2 out of each round of 5.

BJJ All Levels: Sucks that I can't remember all the details but basically it was work from guard to triangle using hip out arm trap and shin on opposite arm, from there we went to omoplata and I added gogoplata. I think I am missing some stuff but hey thats what happens as I get older...

Grappled for a couple of short rounds with Mark and Chili. The highlight was I went for a kneebar off standing De La Riva by Mark. I am too timid on kneebars so I missed it high. It was definitely there though.

For the evening only one word is needed AUBURN

24 October 2010

Florida Defensive Carbine Club 10th anniversary match. 150 people showed up to compete. It was crazy. I shot ok. Not mall ninja level but a solid citizen showing. Highlight of the day was the blacked out shoot house. It started outside with 2 shots on a steel target about 25 feet to the left and then 2 shots on a target about 25 yards to the right. After those hits you safed the weapon and ran to the shoot house. It was completely blacked out and you had to have a flashlight to do it. Enter the shoot house, sweep right 2 shots on bad guy, sweep left there was a no shoot and a bad guy behind it, 2 shots there and clear the rest of the house. Total of 5 bad guys in the house with 3 hostages. Go out a low door and there was a surprise bad guy waiting outside then 2 shots on a steel target to end the round. I made all the shots with no misses and no good guys hit. I finished in 35 seconds.

Seriously it was wild shooting that stage. Going from bright light to pitch black and then the muzzle flashes from your shooting were disorienting to say the least. We ended up bringing home a ton of swag. P-Mags, new trigger guard, shirts, hats and misc other stuff from the raffles. Jr shot with the guys from AAC. He loved the suppressed Ruger 22/45.

Derek Simonds
10-25-2010, 06:39 AM
25 October 2010 Monday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press 45 X 7,7, 65 X 5, 95 X 3, 105 X 5 X 3
BS 45 X10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 195 X 5 X 3
30 LB DB Curl 12 X 3

AMRAP in 7 Minutes of
5 DU's
3 P/U's
I did 7 rounds and my DU's kept getting better each time. Not overly taxing but a nice way to finish.

BS felt great today. 205 next Monday.

Derek Simonds
10-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Here is a picture of the shoot house.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1187/5109230353_aeb6e48d21_b.jpg

Derek Simonds
10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
26 October 2010

BJJ Fundamentals: Lots of takedowns single, single to back, single run the pipe then sprawl and take the back. Some sort of submission, oh yeah it was RNC (I was jacking around at this moment in time with one of the other purple belts, Fabio had told me to try some stuff).

BJJ Advanced: Drop seio nage, drop seio nage failed to roll through your own legs to take opponents back. This was a fun move and if you did it quickly played out well. Variation on armbar sweep where you trap the arm against your thigh and reach over and grab their lat so that when you roll to mount you can move to s mount and go for armbar immediately.

Grappled 3 rounds, first was half guard, second was me playing defense the entire time and third was with Fabio. We have been going at it good lately. He got me with two different moves that were painful. In looking back I have got to figure out a way to pressure half guard more while protecting my long assed arms. I did however use the sneaky ezekiel from half / transition that Shawn told me to practice 500 times and caught him for just a few moments. I felt it and had it but he rolled to his knees and effectively killed it. Now I know how people will try and escape and can defend better. Great night of training and I was smoked.

Derek Simonds
10-27-2010, 03:42 AM
27 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Wifey walked the dogs today

DL 45 X 10, 5, 135 X 5,5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 5
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 160 X 3, 190 X 5,5,5

3 Rounds of
20 LB Mace Swings each direction with hand switch top to bottom 20,20,10
10 GS Push Ups
Done in 6 Minutes

I was going to do chin ups on top of the swings but my lats were pretty lit up just from the mace. DL felt great up to the last set when I felt like I was going to explode from my stomach both directions. It was quite disconcerting. The weight didn't seem heavy on the legs and back so I readjusted my belt and went again. Slightly better but still uncomfortable. Readjust again and finish the last 3 reps. Weird. My belt was super tight the first 2 times so maybe just an awkward position.

Derek Simonds
10-29-2010, 05:56 AM
29 October 2010 Friday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press 45 X 5,5, 65 X 5, 100 X 9 X 3
BS 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 165 X 3, 195 X 5, 205 X 3, 225 X 1
Chin Ups 3,4,5,6,5,4,4,3,2,1

SNGBDL 100, 120, 140, 160 all X 10

My workout partner no showed after confirming last night. I warmed up for 15 minutes waiting on him. Decided he ain't coming so started lifting and ran out of time. I wanted to do 195 X AMRAP but I made a mistake while pressing. Where I press the TV is off to the right at a 45 degree angle. In the middle of my second set they said something on the TV about the world series and I turned my head while the weight was overhead. Needless to say that was an owie moment. My next sets of BS was the 195 and I just couldn't get comfortable under the bar with my back. So plan B lower reps and bump the weight. My legs felt good and my new BS position seems to be grooving in nicely.

SNGBDL are slightly evil. This was fairly low weight but good practice.

I feel pretty good about the session today and look to build on it Monday.

Allen Yeh
10-29-2010, 09:56 AM
My workout partner no showed after confirming last night.

Hate when that happens.

Derek Weaver
10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
My workout partner no showed after confirming last night. I warmed up for 15 minutes waiting on him.

Booooooo.

Allen Yeh
10-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Seriously it was wild shooting that stage. Going from bright light to pitch black and then the muzzle flashes from your shooting were disorienting to say the least. We ended up bringing home a ton of swag. P-Mags, new trigger guard, shirts, hats and misc other stuff from the raffles. Jr shot with the guys from AAC. He loved the suppressed Ruger 22/45.

Awesome.

Derek Simonds
10-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Here is the video of Jr shooting with Mers from AAC. The weapon is a Ruger 22/45 with an evo suppressor I think. It is so quiet you can hear the slide.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ParagonMMAManagement#p/a/u/0/cDob5cLvAbA

By the way the thing I am most proud of besides Jr's adherence to the rules of firearms safety is that he doesn't flinch when pulling the trigger while the safety is on. Many people visibly flinch when they pull the trigger and it does not fire.
Off to BJJ.

Derek Simonds
10-30-2010, 04:11 PM
30 October 2010

BJJ All levels:

All De La Riva guard today. Loads of fun. I worked with a white belt who is probably a biscuit north of 3 hundy! I have worked with him before. He is super strong and fat. When he learns how to pressure with his weight he will be a problem from the top. He does struggle to get up quickly though.

I trained afterwards with my friend Mark for about 20 minutes. It was some good stuff.

A couple of pictures from today. First a repost of Brookins from TUF with Laney and Jr.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2a5ky8p.jpg

Here is Laney and me after some training. I love my little girl even if she refuses to smile for the camera. I imagine it might get worse as she gets a little older...

http://i51.tinypic.com/sq35oo.jpg

I

Derek Simonds
11-01-2010, 04:11 AM
1 November 2010 Monday

Late night + early morning flight = short workout

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press 45 X 7,7 65 X 5, 95 X 3, 110 X 5,5,5, 95 X 10
BS 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 205 X 5,5,5

Done, packed and out the door to Birmingham AL.

Derek Simonds
11-02-2010, 03:36 AM
2 November 2010

In a bizarre twist of travel I left my clients location which is 10 minutes away from the airport at 3:45 returned my rental car and caught the non stop flight home at 4:15. I don't think I have ever done anything at an airport that fast. I got to drop the kids off at school and be home in time to tuck them in. Yeah me.

D W/U
Lots of foam rolling
Dog Walk

SDL 45 X 5,5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 325 X 4

RFESS X 6, +50 LB's X 6, 6 (each leg)
Explosive S/U 12 X 3

Planks 45 seconds X 3

My last rep on the 325 was not so pretty. I felt like I could pull another one but decided on discretion this morning.

Allen Yeh
11-02-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm pretty sure by now you should start growing wings, you fly more than migratory birds!

Leon Robotham
11-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Here is the video of Jr shooting with Mers from AAC. The weapon is a Ruger 22/45 with an evo suppressor I think. It is so quiet you can hear the slide.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ParagonMMAManagement#p/a/u/0/cDob5cLvAbA

By the way the thing I am most proud of besides Jr's adherence to the rules of firearms safety is that he doesn't flinch when pulling the trigger while the safety is on. Many people visibly flinch when they pull the trigger and it does not fire.
Off to BJJ.

America ROCKS!!!

Derek Simonds
11-02-2010, 08:16 AM
America ROCKS!!!

Yes it does! Whenever you come across the pond we can go play with some fun toys if you want.

Derek Simonds
11-02-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty sure by now you should start growing wings, you fly more than migratory birds!

Allen I keep trying to convince the President of the company that I am too valuable to be flying commercial. It ain't working...

I have quite the story about how I made it even with an overly ambitious TSA agent being a prick.

Leon Robotham
11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes it does! Whenever you come across the pond we can go play with some fun toys if you want.

I would love to mate, thank you for the offer!

Derek Simonds
11-03-2010, 06:37 AM
3 November 2010

Yesterday turned into complete crap. Work was quite horrible and I keep thinking I am very happy to have the job I do. Then on the way home it started raining lightly and I was in a fender bender. BLEH. At least the kids were great and it gave us a good chance to talk about responsibility when I got home.

Today however is going to be a good day.

Dog Walk
D W/U
Band Work
Foam Roll

Bench 45 X 7,7 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 5, 195 X,5,5,5
Chin Up 3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4

3 rounds no rest of

12 X 25 LB DB Press
10 Hindu Push Ups
8 X 25 LB DB Reverse Flyes
3 Chin Ups

Forgot to look at the time but my triceps were on fire.

2 hand 25 lb bumper plate curls 12 X 2

Today was a great workout. Bench was the easiest it has been in many months. Tracy had me do her programming this morning and she did press and ring rows plus the same finisher. I kind of got off track with watching her, which I do enjoy. She is so strong and such a natural athlete but has no desire to compete even with herself each day. I have learned to support her in this and not push even though that is my natural instinct in every thing I do.

I am seriously looking forward to bjj tonight.

Allen Yeh
11-03-2010, 06:54 AM
That sucks, how big of a fender bender?

Derek Simonds
11-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously small. I barely touched her, unfortunately she had a trailer hitch and it crushed my front bumper. Not a scratch on her car at all. Just so frustrated that it happened but that is why it is called an accident.

Derek Simonds
11-03-2010, 06:42 PM
3 November 2010 Wed PM

BJJ Fundamentals: I took it easy through warm ups and we worked bear hug defense, armbar sweep and cross collar choke from mount.

BJJ Advanced: Continued theme of taking it easy for warmup. We worked defense against standing guard passes. Lots of fun. One on them is where you pull the arms out front then shove them back under their legs and throw your opponent on to their head. Love that defense.

Grappled 3 rounds. One with Wes and I have been working on how to counter his aggressive passing style. He can apply weight so well and he is always attacking. Hey here is a solution. Closed guard :D In all seriousness that is what I did. Got my guard closed, swept him and attacked him from the mount. Almost got an americana. Mostly I focused on economy of energy. Next round was with a small female purple belt. I don't care if you are male or female 200 vs 120 is not a good match up. Itold her to tell me more pressure or less as I am truthfully woefully lacking in how to be a good partner in that situation. It was a good roll and I moved a lot and let her work on some positional stuff she was dialing in. Last roll was with a 4 stripe green belt who is an ox. Just seriously strong and big. He was a lot of fun but he got frustrated about his not being able to escape side control. So we worked on that a little.

Great class. I really needed it.

I am pretty stoked about Saturday. Some top secret hush hush stuff going on. I am planning on taking my camera and hopefully getting lots of pictures.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2010, 03:47 AM
4 November Thursday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 7,7 95, 135, 185 X 3, 205, 225, 245, 275 X 1

SNGBDL 45, 95, 135, 185 X 8, 205 X 6 + 6 Shrugs

BB Curl W, N, R X 12

I am super pleased that I made it up to 275 today. I weighed in at 195 this morning so that was 141% BW. Unfortunately my knees caved in on me and I know that is my weakness. My set at 245 was solid but 275 not so much. Tracy squatted today and worked up to 155 with no squat work in the last year. Once again ridiculously strong. She weighed in at 125 so 124%BW for her. Big Andy hit 300 easily.

On the SNGBDL I used straps at 185 and 205.

I plan on hitting BJJ tonight. 3 days of rest from the weights coming up now.

Samuel Hughes
11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
You might try putting some light resistance banding around your knees (pulling them together) on your warm-up sets. Really helps activate/establish that movement pattern.

What is SNGBDL?

Derek Simonds
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
You might try putting some light resistance banding around your knees (pulling them together) on your warm-up sets. Really helps activate/establish that movement pattern.

What is SNGBDL?

Samuel I will do that, thanks for the advice. I have done clam shells in the past and thought they were a good activation technique as well. Just another thing that has slipped away.

SNGBDL are supposedly the only exercise you ever need to do if you are locked up in jail and want to keep from getting raped... At least that is how the article was written on tnation many moons ago.

SNGBDL = snatch grip box dead lift

I do them off a 4 inch box. My feet barely make it under the bar.

Samuel Hughes
11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Samuel I will do that, thanks for the advice. I have done clam shells in the past and thought they were a good activation technique as well. Just another thing that has slipped away.

SNGBDL are supposedly the only exercise you ever need to do if you are locked up in jail and want to keep from getting raped... At least that is how the article was written on tnation many moons ago.

SNGBDL = snatch grip box dead lift

I do them off a 4 inch box. My feet barely make it under the bar.

No problem, the band on the warmups is a convenient solution because it doesn't add any exercises/sets to your workout.

SNGBDL- I figured thats what they were but was struggling to punch out the acronym.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
04 November 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same song second verse...

Got out there and came home to see Tracy before she flies off to the great white north.

Derek Simonds
11-06-2010, 01:41 PM
06 November 2010 Saturday

BJJ Worked with Mark on Judo techniques for an hour. Mainly I focused just on uchi komos. I am getting more smooth but it is almost like my body doesn't move as a whole. I might move my hips but leave my chest hanging out, move my arm but not move my feet. Good to work this stuff. Finished with about 20 minutes on the ground working ezekiels from everywhere.

All levels played all half guard today. Two different sweeps from bottom then played positional drills for 20 minutes. Good stuff. Finished with a grapple with one of our brown belts. I tried to really focus on my technique. I was really trying to set up the kneebar off half guard but couldn't get there. Lots of sweat though that is for sure.

There was supposed to be a tv show filmed at our academy but it didn't happen while we were there. They were apparently running really late.

Off to a Churrascaria then to the county fair.

Derek Simonds
11-08-2010, 03:23 AM
08 November 2010 Monday

Dog Walk
Foam Roll

BS up to 215 X 5 X 3
Press up to 115 X 5 X 3

That is all she wrote folks. It is cold in the garage and my hands ache. Not sure what happened but it hurt to grip the bar this morning. I decided to forgo any pulling motions to try and save my hands. Really pleased with the press and that is possibly a PR for reps across. I will look later today.

Derek Simonds
11-09-2010, 05:46 AM
08 November 2010 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Guess who taught class today. That would be me. Fabio was really sick and he asked that I teach class. I had 22 students for my first time. I hit everything I was supposed to in the curriculum I did however miss some elements of the warmup... guess I should pay better attention to that.

Last night was penetration step, double leg takedown, hip throw, sit up sweep and kimura.

BJJ Advanced turned into open mat since Fabio was sick. I grappled with the two Rich's. In the last round it was basically all half guard back and forth. I snuck in my ezekiel/d'arce and almost had it and also went for my knee bar from top half guard. I missed it but did not lose position which was what I have been worried about. The key to hitting it is to make sure that you sit on the hip to get the leg deep enough before you shoot your legs in for the knee bar. Ended up spending about 40 minutes grappling and pulled the plug to get home. I am heading to Montreal today and Tracy had promised me a massage. Don't want to miss those opportunities!

Derek Simonds
11-09-2010, 05:52 AM
09 November 2010 Tuesday

Dog Walk
D W/U
Burgener W/U

SDL up to 320 X 5
Bench up to 205 X 3 X 3

My hands are still achy but I was able to do the DL's no problem. I wonder if they are achy do to something I ate this weekend. Maybe triggered something. Not sure but definitely uncomfortable.

The SDL's were like butter. I got 325 X 4 last week so I backed down 5 lb's but seriously I could have done 320 for 10. I decided to be a little restrained as I am getting on a 3 hour flight here in a few minutes. Bench I just didn't have the tricep strength to hit 5's today.

Tomorrow I plan on doing some accessory work and then hopefully getting in at least one more weight lifting session this week. It is all in the air with what I have going on this weekend.

Leon Robotham
11-09-2010, 07:12 AM
thought you'd like this mate. Its an interview between Hywel (BJJ coach from my gym) and GSP's trainer.

He sent me it after i read this in Fighters only mag land ranted to him.
"
Fighters only asked GSP “Is training the nervous system for explosiveness the next big thing in mixed martial arts?”

GSP Answers “I don’t do strength and conditioning. The reason I lift weights is to make me more marketable, to make my shape more symmetrical. I don’t lift weights to have any effect on my performance, I don’t believe in it. I believe that sometimes you can do some exercises to make you more explosive, like the Olympic lifts. Olympic lifters are the most explosive athletes in the world. Also gymnastics, I like gymnastics ; I think it makes me more athletic”

Here is my interview with GSP's trainer - I bet his disagrees with that crap! lol

* Years ago, boxers used to pound the streets for five miles every morning as part of their cardio training. Now, fighters are told not to do slow, steady state cardio. Why is this?

Roadwork is a classic boxing fad, just like refraining from masturbating long before a fight - it holds no validity. Our sport, in its pure essence is revolved around bursts of power, followed by short recovery, and then another burst of power. What long distance running does is train slow twitch muscle fibers, which is what I want to stay far away from. I want my athletes as explosive as possible. Running long distances will take away from that. The one thing that separates boxing is that a 12 round fight is 36 minutes of work, whereas MMA is normally 15 minutes.

* So why are metabolic interval workouts so good for fighters?

Metabolic workouts are great because they focus on power endurance, as much of an oxy-moron as that is – short bursts of power, small recovery, then repeat. Also, the exercises, movements and intensities change just like they would in a fight. They are not cyclical like biking, running etc.

* What kind of interval training do you do with your fighters?

There are a few protocols I use for interval training. Among the ones I like the most are sled pushes with 1:1 ratio or the Tabata protocol on either incline treadmill, Airdyne bike, or Concept2 rower. This involves a negative 2:1 ratio with 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest, done 8 times.

I also like shuttles in which I can change the ratio depending on how many athletes I have with me.

* How have the workouts you use benefitted the fighters you work with? Did GSP become notably faster, or Kenny Florian notably stronger?

I’ve seen great results in all my guys. Most notably, from where GSP was when he first came in to now – he’s a monster. The plyos, heavy compound lifts, and Olympic lifts have really made him more explosive. Right from the beginning I got Georges into 1 arm snatches. He liked Olympic lifting so much he is now using the services of Pierre Roy and really concentrating on learning and improving the different Olympic lifts.

Rashad Evans in another guy who turned the corner. After the Thiago Silva fight he really focused on his training. I actually am the most excited about Shane Carwin and his recent back surgery. Pain free and with the use of his right side, he will be the best heavyweight by far in the world.

*Strength, speed, endurance, recovery, fat loss - is there anything metabolic workouts can't improve?
As crazy as it sounds, metabolic circuits are really great for so many physical properties. Two things they will not improve though are pure power and long distance, marathon-like power. 1 rep power needs to be trained alone be it through plyos, Olympic lifts or really lifting heavy. Metabolic circuits can’t incorporate that. However, for anaerobic conditioning and even aerobic conditioning, since the body is still using oxygen while resting, the metabolic blasts are some of my most popular classes, both with athletes and regular clients.

Derek Simonds
11-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Great article Leon. I will come back and revisit that later.

9 November 2010 PM

Traveled to another country to train BJJ! Speaking of GSP I trained at Gracie Barra Montreal. Great class and warm and friendly people. Apparently the blue belts saw a gray haired purple belt and thought they were going to crush me. We did positional drills from side control 3 minutes top then 3 bottom X 3 partners.

First guy was a white belt who was a little smaller then me. I worked with him and just flowed. The next two guys both came gunning for me. They were also both at least 110 KG's. The first guy wasn't as technical and just tried to mash me. I handled him no problem. The second guy was good. I started on bottom and he went for a ton of different attacks. He did a fist in neck choke from side control that pissed me off because even though he didn't have it he just kept grinding on my neck. I ran my legs out the opposite way from his body came back through and flipped him completely up and over my head and took mount. It was quite the crash when both of us came down. When it was my turn on top I wore him out with gi chokes and passing to the mount. He was polite but man he came at me like it was a tournament.

I am going to try and get back there tonight. I really want to see their black belt curriculum.

Derek Weaver
11-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Making time to train while out of country is dedicated. When I've been out of country, I've just eaten.

Way to handle to young guns at that gym. Sounds like a good crew up there.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Making time to train while out of country is dedicated. When I've been out of country, I've just eaten.

Way to handle to young guns at that gym. Sounds like a good crew up there.

It was a lot of fun. Now the second night I ended up skipping BJJ and doing Steak Frites. Yes I dipped the fries in mayo.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2010, 12:25 PM
13 November 2010 Saturday

Just let me start by saying I am completely and totally nackered right now.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 200 X 16 and 200 X 8
Press up to 125 X 1
Push Press 125 X 2 X 5
Jerk 125 X 1, 135 X 4, 145 X 1

Chin Ups and Pull Ups 3 X 20 sets

I ate a little and headed out to BJJ. I walked in to the academy and it was on. Literally the minute I hit the mat we were grappling. Grappled 40 minutes before class and 45 minutes afterwards. Almost 2:30 hours of grappling. Class was 3 moves from the flip over guard pass then 2 rounds of grappling.

Lets just say that my knee bar from top half guard is coming along nicely. I landed it 3 different times to today in live drilling.

Lots of things to play with in my head getting ready to compete next year. There is a submission only tournament coming up in January that I am going to enter I think. That changes the game with no points or time limits. Probably make me grow some as a grappler.

Really good day.

Derek Simonds
11-15-2010, 03:37 AM
15 November 2010 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

I am super sore over my entire body. Not the kind of DOMS you get after a while off from lifting but sore like holee crap I did a ton of work on Saturday and am now paying for it.

BS up to 225 X 5 X 3
Press up to 117 X 5 X 3

5 Rounds of
12 Bosu Ball Push Ups
12 Sit Ups
1 P/U + 25 LBs

And then I did 5 X 1 Chin Ups + 25 LB's

I need to look but 225 X 5 X 3 is getting close to a PR on sets across for me. I know I squatted more during my last 5/3/1 but this felt really good even with dead legs.

Leon Robotham
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Great article Leon. I will come back and revisit that later.

9 November 2010 PM

Traveled to another country to train BJJ! Speaking of GSP I trained at Gracie Barra Montreal. Great class and warm and friendly people. Apparently the blue belts saw a gray haired purple belt and thought they were going to crush me. We did positional drills from side control 3 minutes top then 3 bottom X 3 partners.

First guy was a white belt who was a little smaller then me. I worked with him and just flowed. The next two guys both came gunning for me. They were also both at least 110 KG's. The first guy wasn't as technical and just tried to mash me. I handled him no problem. The second guy was good. I started on bottom and he went for a ton of different attacks. He did a fist in neck choke from side control that pissed me off because even though he didn't have it he just kept grinding on my neck. I ran my legs out the opposite way from his body came back through and flipped him completely up and over my head and took mount. It was quite the crash when both of us came down. When it was my turn on top I wore him out with gi chokes and passing to the mount. He was polite but man he came at me like it was a tournament.

I am going to try and get back there tonight. I really want to see their black belt curriculum.

GB Montreal.... WOW!! I read an article a while back about Bruno Fernandes, you know that bloke is a real genius, a doctor and mnaged to get his black belt while still in med school I believe, now that is dedicated!!

Funny that they expected to crush you mate, but I have to admit that I've done that before. we have a guy at our place who's recently been promoted to purple. he's in his 50's and when I first started he was a blue but I thought that even with my little grappling experience and large weight advantage (25k) I thought i'd be able to crush him too. Boy was I wrong!!

Derek Simonds
11-16-2010, 03:39 AM
15 November Monday 2010 PM

5:00 to 6:00 W/U then positional drilling on the clock 3 min bottom then 30 seconds rest 3 minutes top 30 seconds rest switch positions rinse and repeat.

half guard, side control, mount, back, guard, half guard

I stayed in the entire time and my two training partners rotated in against me. I was completely spent before we started class.

6:00 to 7:00 Fundamentals

7:00 to 8:15 Advanced: knee on belly riding to KOB far side armbar. Thought of you Leon during the class. Then positional drilling win and stay loser out. Then grappled 3 more matches. finished with one of our brown belts and he has a really active open guard I caught him with a straight ankle but couldn't quite finish.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2010, 03:43 AM
16 November Tuesday

Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Roll
Agile 6

SDL up to 335 X 5 with a 10 second hold on last rep

Plate curls 10 LB's X 12 X 3
Shrug 135 X 12 X 3

KB Swings with big daddy 36 KG X 12,12,12,25

I am amazed at the progress on my DL right now. I think it is mainly from getting my sumo technique lined up to my body. Plus linear progression has always been good for my DL. I plan on hitting 350 X 5 next week Tuesday as I roll into 5 days off.

I need to eat and drink a lot today. I am sure that I am still dehydrated from yesterdays BJJ. Work is in an extremely wonky period so I didn't get my normal meals in. I will today.

Leon Robotham
11-16-2010, 05:37 AM
15 November Monday 2010 PM

5:00 to 6:00 W/U then positional drilling on the clock 3 min bottom then 30 seconds rest 3 minutes top 30 seconds rest switch positions rinse and repeat.

half guard, side control, mount, back, guard, half guard

I stayed in the entire time and my two training partners rotated in against me. I was completely spent before we started class.

7:00 to 8:15 Advanced: knee on belly riding to KOB far side armbar. Thought of you Leon during the class. Then positional drilling win and stay loser out. Then grappled 3 more matches. finished with one of our brown belts and he has a really active open guard I caught him with a straight ankle but couldn't quite finish.

I like how you have the classes broken down that way, we have recently adpoted a similar style by having a drilling/fundamentals class to compliment the main body of classes, the guys who are able to attend the drilling sessions are coming on in leaps and bounds, but I cant get on the mat then because I teach.

Hopefully I will find the time soon to make all BJJ sessions, I've never been this passionate about a sport since starting muay thai or maybe even going back as far as my rugby days.

What was the story behind the trip to Canada for BJJ ?

Derek Simonds
11-16-2010, 06:37 AM
What was the story behind the trip to Canada for BJJ ?

I was in Montreal area for work and made the trip to train there. Traffic is horrible in Montreal and it ended up taking me over 4 hours to commute to the gym to train that one night. That is why I didn't go back again.

What is very cool to me is that every academy I have trained at all across Canada and the US they have known my instructors or people at my gym. When I was talking to Bruno he said tell Gutty I said hello. How is Marcio? That kind of stuff. It is nice training with the group of people I train with because it brings me instant respect from the owners of the academies I am visiting.

Last night was incredible. I am really at a different level right now then I have ever been at before. I am getting stronger in my legs, my squat and deadlift technique feel the best they ever have. My mat cardio is great and my technique is the best it has ever been (I do know I have a ton to work on though). It is almost like I was peaking for tournament season but don't have any planned soon.

The biggest holes in my overall plan right now are pressing strength and my stand up game. Those are two reasons I wish I could train with Gant more often as I know he can help me with both.

Last night I had an epiphany. I hear from a lot of guys about how strong I am or they tease me about my old man strength. I don't think I am strong by the benchmarks I gauge against or the people I know. What I did realize though was that I apply what strength I have in a different direction then most. It really is about physics. Case in point we were drilling escape from mount. My partner (another purple belt who weighs the same as me) could not escape my mount. In fact when he would try he would give me an armbar. Now I think he is as strong as me in pressing strength so the way I see the problem was instead of pushing at an angle he was pushing straight into me. By pushing straight into me he has to move my entire body weight and in the process pins himself to mat and allows me to easily control his body. When I do it I attack at a 45 degree angle and bridge and roll at the same time. Same strength different direction and different result. I am going to play with this explanation of strength through proper direction of force. This is probably obvious to everyone else it just became really clear last night to me. End epiphany.

Samuel Hughes
11-16-2010, 07:00 AM
I was in Montreal area for work and made the trip to train there. Traffic is horrible in Montreal and it ended up taking me over 4 hours to commute to the gym to train that one night. That is why I didn't go back again.

What is very cool to me is that every academy I have trained at all across Canada and the US they have known my instructors or people at my gym. When I was talking to Bruno he said tell Gutty I said hello. How is Marcio? That kind of stuff. It is nice training with the group of people I train with because it brings me instant respect from the owners of the academies I am visiting.

Last night was incredible. I am really at a different level right now then I have ever been at before. I am getting stronger in my legs, my squat and deadlift technique feel the best they ever have. My mat cardio is great and my technique is the best it has ever been (I do know I have a ton to work on though). It is almost like I was peaking for tournament season but don't have any planned soon.

The biggest holes in my overall plan right now are pressing strength and my stand up game. Those are two reasons I wish I could train with Gant more often as I know he can help me with both.

Last night I had an epiphany. I hear from a lot of guys about how strong I am or they tease me about my old man strength. I don't think I am strong by the benchmarks I gauge against or the people I know. What I did realize though was that I apply what strength I have in a different direction then most. It really is about physics. Case in point we were drilling escape from mount. My partner (another purple belt who weighs the same as me) could not escape my mount. In fact when he would try he would give me an armbar. Now I think he is as strong as me in pressing strength so the way I see the problem was instead of pushing at an angle he was pushing straight into me. By pushing straight into me he has to move my entire body weight and in the process pins himself to mat and allows me to easily control his body. When I do it I attack at a 45 degree angle and bridge and roll at the same time. Same strength different direction and different result. I am going to play with this explanation of strength through proper direction of force. This is probably obvious to everyone else it just became really clear last night to me. End epiphany.

I love reading your anecdotes/stories. It really makes me miss boxing (or any contact/strategy sport). And I totally know what you mean about translating strength to your sport. You are training and living the right way in my opinion. /jealous.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2010, 10:14 AM
I love reading your anecdotes/stories. It really makes me miss boxing (or any contact/strategy sport). And I totally know what you mean about translating strength to your sport. You are training and living the right way in my opinion. /jealous.

Thanks Samuel. I write this as my blog more or less and share the things going on around me. If you miss boxing is there a way to include it even once a week in your life now?

Samuel Hughes
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks Samuel. I write this as my blog more or less and share the things going on around me. If you miss boxing is there a way to include it even once a week in your life now?

No, the gym closed up...lack of business. It was run by this Ukrainian guy, very intense but very positive. I don't know that I cared for boxing any more than any other contact sport, but it was fun to train with a coach and a group of people that didn't mind working hard and smart and making real progress. Sounds a lot like what you have going on.

PS. I go by Emile (Samuel is my first name).

Leon Robotham
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM

It must be amazing to be able to go to just about any gym in the US and Canada and be welcomed like that. I remember watching the pan ams this year and your team was being mentioned a boat load. They tore it up by the looks of thing as well.

I wish my training was going like that, I've come to the realisation that I really need to get my teeth sunk into training and just get after it. You should jump into a local comp if you have anything coming up before Christmas fella.

Derek Simonds
11-17-2010, 07:18 AM
PS. I go by Emile (Samuel is my first name).

Emile thanks again for reading and sharing.

I am sore today. My entire body. Tip to tail. That is all.

Derek Simonds
11-17-2010, 05:09 PM
17 November Wednesday PM

5:00 to 6:00 3 minutes / 30 seconds rest 3 minutes

half guard top then bottom X 4
side control top then bottom
mount top then bottom

I am smoked to the point my joints hurt.

Derek Weaver
11-17-2010, 05:30 PM
How many days per week do you end up with a lifting session in morning and rolling at night?

Total number of workouts has to exceed 10 right? I am impressed, and also enjoy reading your write ups.

BTW, Mook Jong construction is slow going. Difficult to find a log, so I'm working on the arms first.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2010, 04:04 AM
How many days per week do you end up with a lifting session in morning and rolling at night?

Total number of workouts has to exceed 10 right? I am impressed, and also enjoy reading your write ups.

BTW, Mook Jong construction is slow going. Difficult to find a log, so I'm working on the arms first.

It is pretty dynamic. Here is what would be a normal schedule if such a thing existed. Probably more like what I prefer if I didn't travel as much.

M,W Nights BJJ F,S Lunch BJJ

M,W,H,S Lifting

Lifting can get compressed into 3 days or can go on Friday or Saturday easily for the last workout of the week. I have found that I have the work capacity for 2 a days and actually feel better when I take complete days off in between. The past couple of weeks I have been lifting on T mornings because my wife is taking W mornings off. So I sleep in for an extra hour with her.

Total workouts is usually 7 to 8. The hours I train can vary by a ton based on my BJJ training. As of now I am already 5 solid hours of BJJ in this week. Probably won't get much more as I am heading into Mosquito Lagoon for some backwoods camping with the kids tomorrow. My goal each week for BJJ is 3 days and 6 hours. As I have said many times this coincides with my kids gymnastics training so I don't feel like I am taking time away from them. If they are off I usually don't go to BJJ.

I am pretty sure that I am in a super compensation period and am getting ready to crash into a serious deload next week. I am lifting and training BJJ 3 more times then taking 7 days off from lifting and 5 days from BJJ.

The rest of the year is going to be wild for me. I already have a ton of travel booked. Just off the top of my head I am in Little Gasparilla Island, Ft Myers, Boston, Vegas, Bangor and the Keys. I keep telling myself all I have to do is make it to December 23 and I have vacation coming. Yeah me.

And Derek I really enjoy reading your log as well. When you find a log make sure to post some pictures.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
18 November Thursday

D W/U
Band Work

Bench up to 185 X 3 X 5
Chin Ups 3 X 10 (I actually lost count of the sets but it is close)

Press up to 95 X 10 X 3
50 LB DB Row X 10 X 5

Foam Roll

No workout partner and no real spotter today. Plus my left elbow was feeling wonky on the bench. 185 was challenging but not hard.

My 10 year old son is friends with an older girl on the gymnastics team. It is a weird thing, she pays attention to him and he definitely likes being around her. Being 10 I know that there isn't romantic love there yet... maybe a stirring in him that he doesn't understand but nothing more I think... Anyways last night he was so extraordinarily upset because the guys on his team are teasing him silly about Britney. He started crying and just kept saying we are just friends. Man it breaks my heart when one of my little ones are going through a tough spot. I dealt with teasing one of two ways when I was a kid, I either punched the dude in the face or I laughed at him. Most of the time it was the latter. So we had a conversation about how his teammates are probably jealous that an older girl is paying attention to him and that they know he is sensitive about her and that is why they pick on him about it. I also told him that I was completely ok if he did like her and that it was natural. But no matter what if he let these kids get to him they would never stop.

We are doing a little family bible study at night before the kids go to bed and it was rather timely that they talked about gossip and holding ones tongue in Proverbs. I tied gossip back to the kids teasing him. I also said remember this book was written 2800 years ago and fathers were still talking to their kids about this stuff. Then this morning during my lifting I played a country music playlist and what do you know I ran across some additional words of wisdom. I called Jr out in the garage and we listened to this song and he got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJixs2FoZ_Y

Some lessons in life from the outside don't look so bad but when you are the one in it they suck.

Leon Robotham
11-18-2010, 07:13 AM
18 November Thursday

D W/U
Band Work

Bench up to 185 X 3 X 5
Chin Ups 3 X 10 (I actually lost count of the sets but it is close)

Press up to 95 X 10 X 3
50 LB DB Row X 10 X 5

Foam Roll

No workout partner and no real spotter today. Plus my left elbow was feeling wonky on the bench. 185 was challenging but not hard.

My 10 year old son is friends with an older girl on the gymnastics team. It is a weird thing, she pays attention to him and he definitely likes being around her. Being 10 I know that there isn't romantic love there yet... maybe a stirring in him that he doesn't understand but nothing more I think... Anyways last night he was so extraordinarily upset because the guys on his team are teasing him silly about Britney. He started crying and just kept saying we are just friends. Man it breaks my heart when one of my little ones are going through a tough spot. I dealt with teasing one of two ways when I was a kid, I either punched the dude in the face or I laughed at him. Most of the time it was the latter. So we had a conversation about how his teammates are probably jealous that an older girl is paying attention to him and that they know he is sensitive about her and that is why they pick on him about it. I also told him that I was completely ok if he did like her and that it was natural. But no matter what if he let these kids get to him they would never stop.

We are doing a little family bible study at night before the kids go to bed and it was rather timely that they talked about gossip and holding ones tongue in Proverbs. I tied gossip back to the kids teasing him. I also said remember this book was written 2800 years ago and fathers were still talking to their kids about this stuff. Then this morning during my lifting I played a country music playlist and what do you know I ran across some additional words of wisdom. I called Jr out in the garage and we listened to this song and he got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJixs2FoZ_Y

Some lessons in life from the outside don't look so bad but when you are the one in it they suck.

Ah father son life lessons haha, already your boy is in with the older women... You might have a bit of a lothario on your hands, only time will tell ;)

Derek Weaver
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
It is pretty dynamic. Here is what would be a normal schedule if such a thing existed. Probably more like what I prefer if I didn't travel as much.

M,W Nights BJJ F,S Lunch BJJ

M,W,H,S Lifting

Lifting can get compressed into 3 days or can go on Friday or Saturday easily for the last workout of the week. I have found that I have the work capacity for 2 a days and actually feel better when I take complete days off in between. The past couple of weeks I have been lifting on T mornings because my wife is taking W mornings off. So I sleep in for an extra hour with her.

Total workouts is usually 7 to 8. The hours I train can vary by a ton based on my BJJ training. As of now I am already 5 solid hours of BJJ in this week. Probably won't get much more as I am heading into Mosquito Lagoon for some backwoods camping with the kids tomorrow. My goal each week for BJJ is 3 days and 6 hours. As I have said many times this coincides with my kids gymnastics training so I don't feel like I am taking time away from them. If they are off I usually don't go to BJJ.

I am pretty sure that I am in a super compensation period and am getting ready to crash into a serious deload next week. I am lifting and training BJJ 3 more times then taking 7 days off from lifting and 5 days from BJJ.

The rest of the year is going to be wild for me. I already have a ton of travel booked. Just off the top of my head I am in Little Gasparilla Island, Ft Myers, Boston, Vegas, Bangor and the Keys. I keep telling myself all I have to do is make it to December 23 and I have vacation coming. Yeah me.

And Derek I really enjoy reading your log as well. When you find a log make sure to post some pictures.

I see. Good call and solid scheduling. It looks like you could write a book on time management for the active parent. Even cooler that you are able to get your training to coincide with your children's activities. I remember in college during an elective psychology course I took that the professor noted this was one of the best things a family could do. A few times per week, more or less, everyone's got their thing. Good for everyone's head space.

Vegas and the Keys sounds like more fun than work to me.

I'll let you know about the log. I've got a few things going. I am going to do the arms first. I may even order a PVC body from here (http://woodendummy.net), and use it as a model. Then as the true wooden dummy is eventually constructed, I can refine things with the arms and really spend the right amount of time getting it right. Later on, I can either sell, or donate one of them to an instructor around here. Different FMA instructors could make use of it, and obviously any Wing Chun or JKD instructor could use it if they wanted. I'll post pics as I make progress.

Derek Simonds
11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
19 November 2010 Friday

Sooo this morning was interesting... My workout partner no called, no showed and Tracy's girls didn't post either. That created a great opportunity for Tracy and I to get in our cardio first.

Once I was warmed up I went straight into the One Lift to Rule Them All...

SNGBDL 45 X 5, 95 X 8, 135 X 8, 185 X 8, 225 X 6, 255 X 1, 275 X 1, 305 X 1!!!!!!!!!

So here is what is bugging me if I can freaking SNGBDL 305 I sure as hell should be able to squat it. My lack of a 300+ squat has to be mental that is the only explanation. Here are some pictures for reference. Jr took these with his cell phone so they aren't the best.

Here is my setup with 275.

http://i55.tinypic.com/30xakr7.jpg

Here is me with 305 which was fairly easy, probably could have done a triple.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2le6z4l.jpg

Ah well I will just keep plugging along. I was pretty darn pleased with this lift this morning. Hell I was really pleased with the entire morning actually. :D

Samuel Hughes
11-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Awesome pull. I am in the same boat- squats are so mental. I did 5x5 with 5lbs less than my PR from a few weeks ago. Something about a max single and squats just hasn't clicked for me. Great job again.

Derek Weaver
11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
There is something terrifying about the bar being on your back instead of in your hands. Makes sense that the mental side is keeping you back on the squat. Getting a good training partner who knows how to spot the squat would probably help. A cage (which I think you said you have), a good spotter, and a solid psyche up should get you that 300+ single or more.

Eduardo Chile
11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Man your flexbility must be awesome if you maintain a neutral spine with a snatch grip off a box throughout the deadlift.

Maybe something could be off with your form on the squat? Do you have a video?

Derek Simonds
11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Man your flexbility must be awesome if you maintain a neutral spine with a snatch grip off a box throughout the deadlift.

Maybe something could be off with your form on the squat? Do you have a video?

I feel pretty darn good about my form on these lifts. And I do work my flexibility a ton. By the way you don't need no video let's lift together! I will make the trek to your place or you can come over to mine one of these weekends. Sometime after Thanksgiving lets get together.

Eduardo Chile
11-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Heck yea, let's lift together. We'll need to plan it out.

Derek Simonds
11-22-2010, 03:45 AM
22 November Monday 2010

Well the weekend was a little harder on me then I planned. No sleep and less then ideal food intake. But man we had a great time. The kids had a blast. I got some great pictures and will post them later today.

Somehow the alarm got turned off in between sleepy time and wakey time. Tracy woke up at 5:29 and said hey aren't we supposed to be working out right now. So up we go and we were in the garage by 5:40 warming up. That shortened the time available. Andy wanted to bench today so we did squat and bench. I now remember why I don't bench and squat on the same days. My glutes cramp up on the bench after squatting. I guess I am getting a good setup if my glutes cramp.

Squat up to 235 X 5,5,3 I got pancaked on the last rep and really had to fight out of the hole. As I started down for my 4th rep I started going forward again and decided to rack the weight instead of taking a chance.

Bench up to 205 X 5,3,4 I really wanted 5's across but this is still a PR for me. I will take it.

Lots of stuff to do in the next 36 hours before we leave for Little Gasparilla Island. I haven't looked at the weather but am hoping it is sunny. I am going to try and train BJJ 3 times also before we leave.

Derek Simonds
11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Here is a link to some pictures from camping.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dereksimonds/2010November?authkey=Gv1sRgCNy7mND2-srWCg&feat=directlink

All I got to say is my kids are pretty darn cool. Food wise we had wild game stew, venison steaks, raw oysters, boiled shrimp and the kids harvested about 2 dozen clams that they steamed and ate right out of the shell.

Jr is a fish catching machine. We were up at 6:30, cooked a little breakfast and he was fishing by 8:00 am. I think he caught his first fish by 8:10. He caught what we call an inshore trash can slam; lizard fish, lady fish (which are really fun to catch and great cut bait, catfish and needle fish. I was fishing for bigger fish just up the way from him and every time I would lose my bait fish or it would die I would yell to him to catch me another pinfish and sure enough a minute or two later he would come running over with another livey.

I am really hoping our fishing down at LGI is more in line with fish we want to eat... Jr could care less what he catches.

Derek Weaver
11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a great weekend. I think it's an American rite of passage for boys to fish for whatever bites. When I was a kid, it was cat fish and craw fish.

Nice PR on the bench also. PRs are flying around this board lately.

Derek Simonds
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
22 November 2010 Monday PM

5:00 to 6:00 Positional drilling oh my! This is some good shiznitty.

6:00 to 7:00 Side control escapes and finished with arm triangle. I ended up doing a little mini lesson on the arm triangle and how I finish by really extending my opponent.

Home and got all the fishing gear packed and ready for one more day of work.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2010, 05:59 AM
23 Tuesday 2010

I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked. I think I am just amped about going away with the family for the next 5 days. Anytime you can go to an island with no cars, heated pool, incredible beaches, great shell collecting and the best inshore fishing for free you have to be excited. I did find out that my grandmother is coming so we have to give up our bedroom for her but it will all work out.

D W/U
Dog Walk was absolutely bizarre this morning. I heard a person talking and started looking around and there was womans shape coming around the corner about 200 yards away. It looked like she was wearing tights and was talking on the phone while walking. This was at 5:00 AM straight up. As she was walking towards me she fired up a cigarette. Now I was really puzzled. Turns out it was a younger female prob 18 - 25 in skin tight jeans and going out clothes. Smoking and walking through the neighborhood. Just yammering away on the phone. I wanted to ask her what she was doing but decided not to be a creepy old man and just went back to the house muttering damn kids...

SDL up to 350 X 5 (This is probably a PR)
Press up to 120 X 5 X 3 (This is a certifiable PR for sets across)

The last of the dead lifts was ugly. But I will take it! After stopping at 3 on my last set of squats yesterday I have been pissed off and wanted to make up for it. So when that 350 started slowing down I just ground it out. The press was really hard as well. I don't think I had much more in me.

I plan on resetting my weights back some and going until the end of the year linearly. I want to do a 1 RM test the last week of December and blow by some of these plateaus I have been struggling with.

Training some BJJ tonight then driving down to the island. No physical activity for the next 5 days. Complete and total rest. Heck yeah.

Kevin Perry
11-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice job on the SLDL and the press. I'm also resetting my weights since I've been out of the gym a week and down in weight, just too damn busy lately.

Eduardo Chile
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Nice lifting on the deads. I won't be able to make it tonight. Did you like the reactive training manual?

Enjoy ur vacation. Sounds like fun.

Derek Simonds
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
BJJ positional drilling done and done. Tracy is driving we are 60 miles out. Catch you guys later. Chile we missed you tonight.

Derek Simonds
11-29-2010, 03:26 AM
29 November 2010

Quick report much more later.

D W/U
Foam Roll
Band Work
Jump Rope

Press up to 110 X 5,5,8
BS up to 225 X 5,5,5

The squats felt heavy for the first two sets the last set was like butter. I guess I wasn't warmed up enough. My hands are super sore from 5 days of fishing and gigging.

Derek Simonds
11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
29 November 2010 PM

BJJ Positional Drilling for 30 minutes

BJJ Fundamentals: I was going to teach class tonight but one of the black belts showed up. He didn't do the curriculm which meant he showed a very interesting way to pass guard when popping to standing that I will have to play with some more. We drilled and I was able to use it to pass easily. Very interesting...

Leon I got pictures for the triangle and will post them sometime tomorrow. Work is on full out tilt right now which is good. Hoping to have a great close to the year.

DL'ing and Bench in the morning then off to Ft Myers for 3 days and the Keys for 3 days.

Derek Simonds
11-30-2010, 07:06 AM
30 November 2010

Man I just don't seem to have enough time this week. Make what I can happen, happen is all I can do.

D W/U
Foam Roll

SDL up to 335 X 5
Bench up to 190 X 5,5,5

Everything felt heavy today.

Derek Simonds
11-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Leon here are the pictures I promised. This first picture shows me square to my opponent and you can see that I can't lock my leg. Rich is a thick neck dude.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ipcef4.jpg

This next picture I am rotated more towards 90 degrees from him. I like grabbing the knee closest to the side I am moving towards or underhooking the hamstring to move into position.

http://i53.tinypic.com/16ae2ig.jpg

It is hard to see in the picture but my foot is behind my knee. You can see that my leg is going straight across his neck which is what I wanted you to visualize. You can see Rich is ready to tap just from me having it locked down and not actively squeezing. Another point is that I try to shove the big tendon on the back of my leg directly into their carotid artery. I have found the best success with that. That way when I am squeezing I can tighten that tendon in addition to everything else.

I hope this helps. Ask questions if you have any.

Leon Robotham
11-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Leon here are the pictures I promised. This first picture shows me square to my opponent and you can see that I can't lock my leg. Rich is a thick neck dude.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ipcef4.jpg

This next picture I am rotated more towards 90 degrees from him. I like grabbing the knee closest to the side I am moving towards or underhooking the hamstring to move into position.

http://i53.tinypic.com/16ae2ig.jpg

It is hard to see in the picture but my foot is behind my knee. You can see that my leg is going straight across his neck which is what I wanted you to visualize. You can see Rich is ready to tap just from me having it locked down and not actively squeezing. Another point is that I try to shove the big tendon on the back of my leg directly into their carotid artery. I have found the best success with that. That way when I am squeezing I can tighten that tendon in addition to everything else.

I hope this helps. Ask questions if you have any.

Hey Derek

thanks for the pictures and the explanation, it all makes sense to me. I will have a go tomorrow night and take some pictures as well, hopefully I can get it without issues on the big necked dudes. I guess the more i can get to a 90 degree angle the better!

Samuel Hughes
11-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Another point is that I try to shove the big tendon on the back of my leg directly into their carotid artery. I have found the best success with that. That way when I am squeezing I can tighten that tendon in addition to everything else..

You sound like a mean person. but awesome.

Eduardo Chile
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I have very thick legs so the triangle is not my friend.

But two things that help in addition to getting the angle Derek is talking about are squeezing ur knees together hard and raising ur hips to remove any loose space.

Derek Weaver
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
30 November 2010

Man I just don't seem to have enough time this week. Make what I can happen, happen is all I can do.

D W/U
Foam Roll

SDL up to 335 X 5
Bench up to 190 X 5,5,5

Everything felt heavy today.

We all have punch the clock workouts, as I believe Arien has called them.

It seems like the holidays are a good time to go on cruise control. Just enough to keep the Lbs from piling on. Get some recovery, and set some PRs towards the end of the year or just after the 1st.

Derek Simonds
11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
You sound like a mean person. but awesome.

It's not mean, my intention is for them to pass out quickly before they hurt themselves flailing around... The triangle is definitely a favorite of mine. Chile your legs are like tree stumps but it is still there. I am back in town consistently the 17th so we are going to need to plan on lifting that weekend or after Christmas.

Derek Simonds
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
We all have punch the clock workouts, as I believe Arien has called them.

It seems like the holidays are a good time to go on cruise control. Just enough to keep the Lbs from piling on. Get some recovery, and set some PRs towards the end of the year or just after the 1st.

I am going to hopefully get some good rest the rest of this week and a couple of good accessory workouts as well. Read that as some curlz for the girlz in the resort gym where I am teaching.

Derek Simonds
12-01-2010, 05:44 AM
This is something I am working on and I don't want to lose this link. Good stuff.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3899

Derek Simonds
12-02-2010, 09:33 AM
1 December 2010 Wednesday

Went to Black Trunk Martial Arts for some Machado BJJ. I really enjoyed it. It was old school style, warm up on your on, do some abs, 3 techniques and then GRAPPLE. We went for 5 five minute rounds. Good people and I did my normal thing for traveling fight, but not too aggressively. I hit a cross collar choke from the mount a'la Roger Gracie and a keylock from side control. There was some big boys at this place. One of the purple belts I rolled with was a former college wrestler and right at 200 LB's another guy was a college baseball player and at least 215 and super strong.

Lots of fun and will be back tonight.

Derek Weaver
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM
That's awesome. When I was still rolling, that's how my instructor did it. Work a technique, then grapple for at least thirty minutes, rotating partners, working for 3-5 minutes, or he'd just say go and it would be 30 minutes of sparring, or longer.

I never got past white belt as I lost interest in the ground game and had better natural ability on my feet. Went with what I was good at.

I've been thinking of finding a school again. Need something that won't beat me to hell. The gentle art is a good option.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
That's awesome. When I was still rolling, that's how my instructor did it. Work a technique, then grapple for at least thirty minutes, rotating partners, working for 3-5 minutes, or he'd just say go and it would be 30 minutes of sparring, or longer.

I never got past white belt as I lost interest in the ground game and had better natural ability on my feet. Went with what I was good at.

I've been thinking of finding a school again. Need something that won't beat me to hell. The gentle art is a good option.

Do it man, find a school and get on the mat.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
2 December 2010

Hotel Machine Circuit

I paired push with a pull and just did sets of 12 reps up to 3 sets on each exercise station. Nothing serious and I wish they had DB's up to 50 but no dice.

BJJ at Black Trunk. I figured it out. I am better positionally then these guys, they are way more aggressive. You can tell the wrestling from their Prof Sean. Plus these guys all go immediately for submissions. Kimura's seem to be their preferred attack. I did really good against all of their guys but had to fight out of several submission attacks. It was good for me to see how aggressive these guys are. I have really been working on going for more subs faster. Good training and I am tired now.

This is one of the guys I grappled with. He is a big strong dude. I knew who he was from his fishing show. We were kind of locked up and I said to him. Man I don't want to grip fight with a grouper fighter. I know how strong your hands are. He laughed and said two old fishermen going at it. http://www.youtube.com/user/captchancey

Derek Simonds
12-03-2010, 03:59 AM
One other thought I had about the last two days of training. These guys fought like mad men to keep from going on their back. Most BJJ players when they feel they are losing position will go to guard. Nope not here, they fought you for every inch.

Eduardo Chile
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Must have been fun to go against aggressive bjj players!

Derek Simonds
12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Must have been fun to go against aggressive bjj players!

Here is the comparison for you. It was like fighting Wes every round.

Derek Simonds
12-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I had an incredible day today. We fished offshore and I caught a bunch of small grouper and snapper. Nothing really worth keeping. We kept one Mutton Snapper for dinner.

We cooked up a Captains feast for dinner. We had king crab legs, stone crab claws, mutton snapper, shrimp and lobster. It was incredible. I will post a couple of pictures later.

One more thing... WAREAGLE!!! Yeah baby SEC Champs and going to the BCS national championship. I was kind of excited during the game.

Derek Simonds
12-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Got back from the keys wearing flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt. Man I was in for a rude surprise. It was 40 when I got out of the truck. We went and got a Christmas tree. Tracy set us up just like we were up north. Hot cocoa, three layers of clothes and travel mugs. I refused to change clothes and froze my tookis off.

7 December 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk on frozen grass
Foam Roll

BS up to 230 X 5 X 3 then
Walk Outs and 1/4 squats with 280 X 3, 330 X 3, 350 X 3

Press up to 115 X 5,5,5,3

Curlz W,N,R 45 X 15

Done and off to Boston!

Leon Robotham
12-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Got back from the keys wearing flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt. Man I was in for a rude surprise. It was 40 when I got out of the truck. We went and got a Christmas tree. Tracy set us up just like we were up north. Hot cocoa, three layers of clothes and travel mugs. I refused to change clothes and froze my tookis off.

7 December 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk on frozen grass
Foam Roll

BS up to 230 X 5 X 3 then
Walk Outs and 1/4 squats with 280 X 3, 330 X 3, 350 X 3

Press up to 115 X 5,5,5,3

Curlz W,N,R 45 X 15

Done and off to Boston!

I guess you spoke too soon bro!