PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Derek Weaver
12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Just consider the cold snap in Florida as a primer for your trip to Boston. I'm guessing it's pretty cold in New England this time of year.

Good Squat work.

Allen Yeh
12-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Last day of my civilian job for the next ~year.....getting closer.

Leon Robotham
12-09-2010, 05:30 AM
2 December 2010

Hotel Machine Circuit

I paired push with a pull and just did sets of 12 reps up to 3 sets on each exercise station. Nothing serious and I wish they had DB's up to 50 but no dice.

BJJ at Black Trunk. I figured it out. I am better positionally then these guys, they are way more aggressive. You can tell the wrestling from their Prof Sean. Plus these guys all go immediately for submissions. Kimura's seem to be their preferred attack. I did really good against all of their guys but had to fight out of several submission attacks. It was good for me to see how aggressive these guys are. I have really been working on going for more subs faster. Good training and I am tired now.

This is one of the guys I grappled with. He is a big strong dude. I knew who he was from his fishing show. We were kind of locked up and I said to him. Man I don't want to grip fight with a grouper fighter. I know how strong your hands are. He laughed and said two old fishermen going at it. http://www.youtube.com/user/captchancey

Sounds like the guys from Carlson Gracies team in London mate, absolute monsters, for the most part they're all (the top guys) Judo black belts as well, they start with incapacitating throws, but if someone manages to survive that they dominate top until getting the sub.

i wonder what their game is like when they play off their back. I'm guessing it will be amazing to be honest because they would have had to survive severe beatdowns off the more advanced guys from the beginning no doubt!

Derek Simonds
12-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Sounds like the guys from Carlson Gracies team in London mate, absolute monsters, for the most part they're all (the top guys) Judo black belts as well, they start with incapacitating throws, but if someone manages to survive that they dominate top until getting the sub.

i wonder what their game is like when they play off their back. I'm guessing it will be amazing to be honest because they would have had to survive severe beatdowns off the more advanced guys from the beginning no doubt!

Positionally I was good and able to advance position no matter what. They just were always going for submissions and refused to give up without a major fight. It was awesome training.

Derek Simonds
12-10-2010, 03:47 AM
9 December 2010

Met up with a friend in Kalamazoo MI and went and worked out at the Western Michigan Rec Center. Great place but they are serious about not dropping the weights there. Unfortunately for me it was DL day. I don't drop the weights but I do put them down hard usually. Not today.

SDL work up to 345 X 5

Bench up to 185 X 5 X 3

Neutral Grip Chin Ups 4 X 10

The DL's were smooth baby. Smooth! Bench was different as the benches were very padded. I didn't go up to the weight I was supposed to. The benches were not pauses but pretty darn close.

Good workout. I am pretty darn tired with travel and all the fun things that I have got to do lately. One more crazy week of work and then I am planning on taking off the rest of the year.

Derek Simonds
12-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Last day of my civilian job for the next ~year.....getting closer.

You know I am thinking about you brother. Call me if you can before you head out.

Leon Robotham
12-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Positionally I was good and able to advance position no matter what. They just were always going for submissions and refused to give up without a major fight. It was awesome training.

I bet it was mate, sounds intense :)

Derek Weaver
12-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice deadlift work.

Padded benches suck. Takes away the stability created by a good arch and "upper back shelf". Nice work, especially in light of the limitations of the bench itself.

Derek Simonds
12-13-2010, 03:47 AM
11 Saturday December 2010

Epic garage gym workout. Jr and I had a grip off. Sadly (or happily if you are his father like I am) he won. Pictures below.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 245 X 3 then 1/3 squats up to 405 X 1

Press 45 X 10 X 3

KB Swings 36 KG X 15 X 4
KB Press 16 KG X 10 X 4

Rolling Thunder up to 130 X R and 120 X L

2" VBar up to 145 X R and 130 X L

Jr DL'ed the 36 KG bell with one hand and weighed in at 79 LB's that is over a 1 X BW DL with 1 hand on a fat grip! Gymnastics is turning that boy into something special. He wanted to press so I let him work up to a standard bar which he did X 2. Needless to say he was very happy with the results. Especially since he beat me so bad on the grip competition.

Here is a picture of him. Note the smile on his face.

http://i53.tinypic.com/x58luf.jpg

Derek Simonds
12-13-2010, 03:51 AM
11 Saturday December 2010

BJJ: Worked 3 guard passes from open guard with knee up. Grappled positionally for 2 rounds starting with knee up then 3 all out rounds. First 2 with a really large 4 stripe blue belt. Both times with him I moved to mount and worked my Roger Gracie style collar choke. First match I got it second match I got a keylock off of his defense. Last round I grappled with a brown belt who has tremendous pressure from the top. He got a kimura off me from a funky side control position that was beautiful. He showed me how he did it and it was subtle. Basically you trap the arm by grabbing your own gi and then look at his hip with your head to move the arm into position. Smooth.

Derek Simonds
12-13-2010, 03:53 AM
13 December Monday 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

34 Degrees BRRRR....

BS up to 225 X 5 X 4 (added a set today instead of weight)

Bench up to 190 X 5 X 3 then 135 X 17

I am really working on the bench being a dead stop and no bounce. It is coming along nicely. After reading Kevins experience at the meet I wanted to make sure that my PR's would translate if I compete.

Off to Vegas baby for two days of meetings then finishing off in sunny Bangor ME. Yeah me.

Leon Robotham
12-13-2010, 07:02 AM
13 December Monday 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

34 Degrees BRRRR....

BS up to 225 X 5 X 4 (added a set today instead of weight)

Bench up to 190 X 5 X 3 then 135 X 17

I am really working on the bench being a dead stop and no bounce. It is coming along nicely. After reading Kevins experience at the meet I wanted to make sure that my PR's would translate if I compete.

Off to Vegas baby for two days of meetings then finishing off in sunny Bangor ME. Yeah me.

Vegas for meetings..... That old chestnut ;) haha

Derek Simonds
12-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Vegas for meetings..... That old chestnut ;) haha

You will really laugh when I tell you that I was in bed at 7:30 Vegas time after a huge meal of steak and lobster at Benihana. And no I am not creating plausible deniability...

Derek Simonds
12-14-2010, 07:47 AM
14 December 2010 Tuesday

D W/U (lots of arm swinging hehehe)
Did my foam rolling on a 6 lb med ball
Some static stretching

Plate Curls each arm 5 X 10, 10 X 10, both hands same time 25 X 12 X 3
Tricep Pressdown 12 X 5

DB Incline Press 30, 40, 50, 55 X 10, 60 X 6, 65 X 8
DB Row 30, 40, 50, 55, 60, X 12, 65 X 15

DB Shrugs 65 LB's X 12 X 3 + Hold for 20 seconds (by now my forearms were on fire)

Machine circuit with all the upper body machines + back and abs (7 machines) X 15 reps X 2 circuits

I was pleased with the DB Incline and the Rows. Everything was smooth. The machine circuit damn near killed me. I selected a weight I thought I could do for 20 reps and struggled to get 15 on most of them. I never stopped and just went through non stop. I actually felt nauseas, not sure what that says about me.

I did have a very funny thought while doing benching. All the guys that were working out would come over and grab 30's and do some bench and then some 20's and do some presses. Apparently I didn't get the memo that you were supposed to use those weights. I thought man I am the strongest guy in here (in here being the hotel gym) and then I laughed as I realized that is kind of like being the tallest midget...

Leon Robotham
12-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I did have a very funny thought while doing benching. All the guys that were working out would come over and grab 30's and do some bench and then some 20's and do some presses. Apparently I didn't get the memo that you were supposed to use those weights. I thought man I am the strongest guy in here (in here being the hotel gym) and then I laughed as I realized that is kind of like being the tallest midget...

This is hilarous :D

Oh and I believe you.... you were in bed by 7.30 :rolleyes:

Derek Simonds
12-15-2010, 07:34 AM
15 December 2010 Wednesday

So last night I was a wild man. I took the guys out here with me to Maggianos Little Italy for dinner. I was still back and in bed by 9:30. Wild man I am.

D W/U
Lacrosse Ball work
Med Ball rolling
Agile 8 + a few other movements (cat stretch and push up plus)

I worked out with one of my guys this morning. He has been having lower back pain. Hmm wonder why. When we started working through the warm up it was very apparent that he had shortened hip flexors, dead glutes and a pretty serious case of khyposis. He was sweating at the end of the agile 8. He told me that he works out 3 times a week, does weights for toning and 50 minutes of cardio. I asked him to walk me through his weight work and he did not do a single posterior chain exercise other than lat pull downs. Don't really think that is enough.

I have so much respect for you professionals out there. I put him through a simple lower body workout to help with the issues we discussed and he was dying before we even got through the first exercise (goblet squats). He didn't want to do any more work and asked me just to show him what to do. Now this is a guy that lives in Portland and hikes the mountains every chance he gets and he couldn't do goblet squats with 40 lb's. All I could think of while we working out was K-Star calling this the slow death. We spend so much time sitting in planes that you have to do mobility work or you lose it.

Goblet Squats ran the rack from 20 to 65 X 5
RFESS DB's 20, 30, 40 X 6 each leg
Pistols 3 X 3
1 Arm 1 Leg contra-lateral DB DL X 20 X 6 X 3 (by now he was begging to stop)

I did enjoy the goblet squats and will probably throw them in for accessory work with heavier DB's and KB's. A couple of hours of work and I am off to Bangor ME for the rest of the week. I can't wait to get home and DL Saturday.

This is going to be the first week in a long time that I haven't trained BJJ. We have a belt promotion this weekend so no academy time for me.

Leon Robotham
12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
15 December 2010 Wednesday

So last night I was a wild man. I took the guys out here with me to Maggianos Little Italy for dinner. I was still back and in bed by 9:30. Wild man I am.

D W/U
Lacrosse Ball work
Med Ball rolling
Agile 8 + a few other movements (cat stretch and push up plus)

I worked out with one of my guys this morning. He has been having lower back pain. Hmm wonder why. When we started working through the warm up it was very apparent that he had shortened hip flexors, dead glutes and a pretty serious case of khyposis. He was sweating at the end of the agile 8. He told me that he works out 3 times a week, does weights for toning and 50 minutes of cardio. I asked him to walk me through his weight work and he did not do a single posterior chain exercise other than lat pull downs. Don't really think that is enough.

I have so much respect for you professionals out there. I put him through a simple lower body workout to help with the issues we discussed and he was dying before we even got through the first exercise (goblet squats). He didn't want to do any more work and asked me just to show him what to do. Now this is a guy that lives in Portland and hikes the mountains every chance he gets and he couldn't do goblet squats with 40 lb's. All I could think of while we working out was K-Star calling this the slow death. We spend so much time sitting in planes that you have to do mobility work or you lose it.

Goblet Squats ran the rack from 20 to 65 X 5
RFESS DB's 20, 30, 40 X 6 each leg
Pistols 3 X 3
1 Arm 1 Leg contra-lateral DB DL X 20 X 6 X 3 (by now he was begging to stop)

I did enjoy the goblet squats and will probably throw them in for accessory work with heavier DB's and KB's. A couple of hours of work and I am off to Bangor ME for the rest of the week. I can't wait to get home and DL Saturday.

This is going to be the first week in a long time that I haven't trained BJJ. We have a belt promotion this weekend so no academy time for me.

I feel your pain bro! Working with a chap right now who also has a serious case of kyphosis too, it's a real shame because the bloke has heaps of heart and a gas tank to match, but right now the time I have with him is far better spent on mobilisation/postural work. Loads of foam rolling, lacrosse balls, back work like rows of all varieties etc. Killer!

Derek Simonds
12-18-2010, 04:22 AM
17 December 2010

Managed to catch an earlier flight and got back to Orlando about 6. Hauled butt up to the academy and trained with a couple of guys getting ready for their purple belt test today.

Somebody around here should be sporting a shiny new purple belt in a couple of hours...

It is always good to drill movements. I tend to forget the names and I definitely don't utilize all of them, but we do know a lot when you look at it that way.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2010, 08:17 AM
18 December 2010 Saturday

Absolutely EPIC workout today...

D W/U
Foam Roll

SDL Up to 355 X 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttRd82KISg

And then I was feeling froggy so I worked up to 405. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZfsGErfvW4 I pulled 405 before but it was ugleeee.... I am counting this as a PR especially since it was after my regular workout. I think I have 425 maybe 430 in range before the end of the year.

I think that would have counted at a meet. I tried to squeeze it up and not get hitchy. It felt great especially after hitting 355 X 5 and 375 easily.

Press up to 120 X 5 X 4 (added weight and an extra set)

Tore a deck of cards for my buddy Adriel at GBO. haven't tore a deck in quite a while. I should have torn it further before I switched my grip but I am really happy with the tear. That was all the cards plus the jokers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFZS1zHl68

Finished with
135 LB Shrugs X 15 X 3
50 LB BB Curlz X 15 X 3
Tricep Extension 20 X 15, 25 X 15

Great workout today!

Arien Malec
12-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Congrats! 405 went up pretty smoothly. Looked like you had even more in you...

Kevin Perry
12-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Nice lift man, saw that vid and you pulled that 405 easy, You definitely have 430 in you.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys.

19 December 2010 Sunday

D W/U
Dog Walk

BS up to 235 X 5,5,5,3 Filmed the last set and here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUXCFMaYts

Bench up to 195 X 5 X 3 Here is the last set of that as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcbin4_jME0

Worked grippers CoC Starter X 5,5, Trainer 5,5, #1 3 X 3 then Bonecrusher 100 X5, 150 X3, 200 X 3, 250 X 3 R (New PR) 1 L, 300 X so close...

45 LB DB Floor Press X 15 X 3
10 LB Plate Curl X 15 each hand, 2 hand plate curl 25 LB oly plate X 15, 15

Another really good workout. Chile look at that BS video if you get a chance. The quality isn't that good since I shot it with my phone. But I think you can at least see my technique ok.

Eduardo Chile
12-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey Derek,

The video is pretty dark, but I do think the knees track in a tad on the way up.

Also, the main thing is the hips aren't really exploding on the way up. I think you could improve on the hip drive. At the top of the squat also you're hips aren't coming through to full extension. It's like you gently stand up. You do a nice job of keeping the weight over the heel, and keep your back arch from what I can tell.

I'm not sure how tight you're upper back is, but I find the tighter I am and the more I focus on keeping my knees apart the easier I can explode with my hips.

We gotta work out together at some point. Hopefully once the new year starts we can! Thanks for the help at bjj!

Derek Weaver
12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Nice work Derek. Good pull too. Looking for a new PR to finish out the year should result in a nice number north of 405.

Derek Simonds
12-22-2010, 04:07 AM
22 December Wednesday 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk

FS X 3 up to 195 X 3 (PR) 205 X 2 (PR) 215 X 1 (PR)

Press up to 125 X 3 X 5 (PR) + 95 X 13

Chin Ups 4 X 6 or 7

I am pleased with all the PR's today. That was a good workout. I did the FS today to test out my mid section. I think that is what is limiting me on my squats. Based on what happened today with the FS I am pretty sure that is the problem. I crumpled on the 215. My legs were driving easily I just wasn't able to hold my torso where it needed to be. I am going to need to think about this. I have a 30 minute consult with Jedd Johnson from Diesel Crew tomorrow and plan on asking him about it along with some grip stuff.

Going to be a good day. Taking the kids to the Ritz for our annual breakfast with Santa. Christmas party at work starting at 11:00 and then 2-4 hours of BJJ depending on how I am feeling. Jr is going to go with me to work and BJJ. Like I said it is going to be a good day!

Arien Malec
12-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Nice PRs. FS is the same problem with me -- legs are no problem but my PR is significantly higher with a belt and my upper body caves as well. It exposes whole body issues well.

Derek Simonds
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
22 December 2010 Wednesday

4:30 to 6:00 Positional drilling with Rafa. Really focused on side control and half guard. I truly enjoy these sessions and they change my game significantly. Tonight I focused on attacking with subs no matter what position I was in. It worked.

6:00 to 7:00 Fundamentals: I ended up teaching as Fabio still is sick. Headlock defense, open guard hook sweep, scissor sweep A and B and cross collar choke from the mount.

I had already told the family that I was coming home so I couldn't stay and left it at open mat. Some good guys showed up and I wish I could have trained. Should be a good group tomorrow at lunch.

Derek Simonds
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
23 December 2010 Thursday

Man I am pushing hard right now.

Dog Walk
Dynamic W/U
Foam Roll

SDL up to 365 X 4 I think this is a PR
DB Incline Press up to 65 X 8, 70 X 6 (70 X 6 is a PR)

Fat Gripz Floor Press up to 185 X 3 X 3
Neutral grip mountain climbers 2 X 10

I did some other stuff while out there but have forgotten exactly what I did. I was just a little tired on the SDL. My form was shaky on the 4th rep so I decided not to push any more. The DB Incline just moved right up. Pretty happy with that. The floor press was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Jr got into the act. Check him out.

http://i56.tinypic.com/1pge8j.jpg

Laney wasn't going to be out done...

http://i52.tinypic.com/28kj4id.jpg

I had a coaching call with Jedd Johnson of the Diesel Crew. Great call and he gave me some insight on my last couple of videos. We also talked grip for a bit. I am going to work on some new technique for ripping phone books.

BJJ Open Mat: I ended up training several rounds. I went two rounds with a visitor from NY who was also a purple belt. He had a wild open guard and was able to use inverted guard to recover open guard. I was able to control pacing and position. Both times I advanced to back and was able to move and work from there. Good times and last time training in a formal class this year.

I am enjoying my first official holiday adult beverage and am dialing in some serious relaxation.

Arien Malec
12-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Love the pix of the kids. My 10 yo son recently pulled over bw and goblet squats 30# for sets of 10. He has a blast working out with his dad. Alas, my daughter doesn't share the joy... At least she boulders for fun.

Derek Weaver
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Your family may be more athletic all around than half of this board put together. Way cool.

Derek Simonds
12-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Your family may be more athletic all around than half of this board put together. Way cool.

Thanks Derek and Arien. I am definitely proud of my family.

Laney got some really good news this past week. She was moved up to Pre-Comp on her gymnastics team. She is so excited it is almost funny. All she wants to do is go to gym. Yesterday she begged me to take her to gym camp. She also set a new PR on pullups. She got 7!

I will shoot some video of Jr this week. His gymnastics skills are growing exponentially right now. His mushroom routine is smooth and he is working his level 6 skills on all events.

Heading out to play our annual Christmas Eve golf outing with the neighbors.

Derek Simonds
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
So I shot a 47 on 9 holes at the local goat ranch. As you can see in the picture wifey wasn't too pleased that I won. Apparently she thought she was going to smoke me since I haven't played golf this entire year. Hehehe. Apparently all the dl'ing helped with my form. What really made a difference is that I am so sore I was swinging easy so as not to hurt myself. funny how much easier golf is if you keep the ball in the fairways...

http://i54.tinypic.com/25um7pw.jpg

Derek Simonds
12-25-2010, 12:56 PM
25 December Saturday Merry Christmas

Just a quick workout. mainly wanted to play with some tweaks to my BS that Jedd gave me.

BS up to 265 X 1 (hard but maintained good form all the way through)
Chin Ups 3 X 10

16 KG KB Press X 12 X 3
65 BB Curl X 12 X 3

I am probably not going to hit 300 on BS unless I get hit by lightning in the next couple of days. Dang it. I was hoping that the tweaks would be enough to get me over the hump. I am going to DL tomorrow and BS on Monday so I will have a better idea where I am by then.

Kids had a wonderful time today and now we are off to my parents for a traditional Christmas dinner complete with my dads smoked turkey. I am going for a new PR in weight packed on there for sure.

Derek Weaver
12-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Merry Christmas Derek.

Derek Simonds
12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Merry Christmas Derek.

Thanks Derek. Hope yours was great as well.

26 December Sunday 2010

SDL worked up to a heavy single at 375
Press worked up to a heavy single at 137 which was an unexpected PR! + 95 X 14

Shrug 135 X 15 X 2

Dinked around with some grip and band work. Nothing special just messing around in the garage. I think I might finally crack the 140 barrier on the press on the 30th. Was hoping for some really big PR's in BS and SDL but not really sure what is in the cards on them. Going to squat and bench in the morning same deal. Working up to a heavy single just to get the feel for the weights.

I read something Justin wrote on 70's Big a while back where he said he has really short arms so he doesn't need a lot of accessory work as he does a lot of chins. That plus some other stuff I have read lately got me to thinking that with my orangutan arms I might need some more direct stimulus of the arms to get any decent hypertrophy. So I have been trying to throw in a bicep and a tricep exercise whenever possible. I think that might be what is helping me on the press. I plan on being more focused on that this year and to see what kind of gains I can get out of it.

I think Laney has strep. Eek. So we are off to the doctors in a few minutes to get her checked out.

Depending on the weather I am going to try and do some fishing this week. Right now the first couple of days is looking a little crappy.

Derek Simonds
12-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Guess what strep X 3! Yep Laney, Jr and me. Cephalexin for all. No big deal be like new in 2 days. Didn't even realize I had it, just thought I was tired... Laney is worst off 102 degree fever by time we got to doctor. She is miserable. Jr and me just a little run down.

Derek Weaver
12-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Hope you and your kids feel better. We've had a similar go with the family and extended family passing around the flu and whatever else this whole holiday season. Crossing my fingers that my scratchy throat is allergies and not this latest cold.

Thinking good, healthy thoughts prior to PR Thursday.

Derek Simonds
12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
27 December 2010 Wednesday

Another prep day.

BS up to 235 X 3, 255 X 2
Bench up to 205 X 3, 225 X 1

Everything felt good. I am really working on this getting tight business. It is harder then it sounds. I was able to get super tight on the squats and bench. In fact I got so tight that I was uncomfortable getting out of the position.

Derek Simonds
12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
30 December 2010 Thursday

Today was the day! Lots of PR's set by all of us. I weighed in at 202 on the nose.

Chin Ups 10
Press 140 (PR)
BS 275, 290 X F No new pr but I am close I can tell
DL 415 (PR) 425 above the knees but I couldn't lock it out, drat!
Bench 230 (PR)

Jr was amazing today

Kipping P/U's 20 (PR)
DL 165 (PR) He out lifted Tracy in weight!
Press 45 (PR)
Mushroom Circles 51 (PR)

Tracy also went at it. These are her default PR's for all lifts and is what she is going to use to base her training off for next year.

Chin Ups 2
BS 140
Press 75
DL 155

Laney got in on the action as well

P/U's 8 with me spotting her legs
DL 62 (She wanted more then her BW she was 59)

I shot lots of video and we all had a great time. Jr amazed me with his power today. His form was great on the DL and he blew past 155 like it was nothing. 160 was easy as well and he wanted to go for 165. On 165 he said my back rounded a little on that one. He he he. Tracy strained her neck on the p/u's but wouldn't quit. I might have been a little aggressive on the jump on her BS. She should have had a higher PR but I thought she had the 140 easily and went to 165. That was a little much. I got flattened on my 290. I went down but never changed direction. It was very funny.

All in all a great day. We got cleaned up and went to the local wings joint and demolished some food and beer to celebrate. I am proud of my family. When I get a chance I will edit the video and post it.

Going to train some BJJ tonight with a couple of friends. Should be a good time.

Samuel Hughes
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
30 December 2010 Thursday

Today was the day! Lots of PR's set by all of us. I weighed in at 202 on the nose.

Chin Ups 10
Press 140 (PR)
BS 275, 290 X F No new pr but I am close I can tell
DL 415 (PR) 425 above the knees but I couldn't lock it out, drat!
Bench 230 (PR)

Jr was amazing today

Kipping P/U's 20 (PR)
DL 165 (PR) He out lifted Tracy in weight!
Press 45 (PR)
Mushroom Circles 51 (PR)

Tracy also went at it. These are her default PR's for all lifts and is what she is going to use to base her training off for next year.

Chin Ups 2
BS 140
Press 75
DL 155

Laney got in on the action as well

P/U's 8 with me spotting her legs
DL 62 (She wanted more then her BW she was 59)

I shot lots of video and we all had a great time. Jr amazed me with his power today. His form was great on the DL and he blew past 155 like it was nothing. 160 was easy as well and he wanted to go for 165. On 165 he said my back rounded a little on that one. He he he. Tracy strained her neck on the p/u's but wouldn't quit. I might have been a little aggressive on the jump on her BS. She should have had a higher PR but I thought she had the 140 easily and went to 165. That was a little much. I got flattened on my 290. I went down but never changed direction. It was very funny.

All in all a great day. We got cleaned up and went to the local wings joint and demolished some food and beer to celebrate. I am proud of my family. When I get a chance I will edit the video and post it.

Going to train some BJJ tonight with a couple of friends. Should be a good time.

Strong! I can't wait for the videos! You are a lucky man, but you deserve it. Congrats on all the PRs. I too got some vids, as soon as I deadlift and figure out how to transfer and edit them I'll post.

Derek Weaver
12-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice work Derek. Way to end the year.

Arien Malec
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Congrats! That DL PR is not long for the world...

Derek Simonds
12-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys. I finished the year with two great training sessions. on the 30th I trained with a brown belt from GBO at a BJJ place here in Deland. We worked hard! Tons of positional drilling. Finished by going back to my house and having a steak feast and giving him some coaching on the core lifts. Today Jr, my dad, my bro in law from TN and me hit the local range for some serious trigger time. We turned some serious dollars into smoke and noise. I really focused on my press out and front sight picture. It paid dividends by the end of the session. I also got some great video of Jr shooting his moms AR. He loved it.

All in all a fantastic finish to the year. Catch you guys on the flip side.

Leon Robotham
01-04-2011, 02:58 AM
I also got some great video of Jr shooting his moms AR. He loved it.

All in all a fantastic finish to the year. Catch you guys on the flip side.

Shooting his moms AR, amazing!!

Sounds like you had a great xmas and new year mate, nice one.

Derek Simonds
01-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Shooting his moms AR, amazing!!

Sounds like you had a great xmas and new year mate, nice one.

A lot to catch up on here in my log. For Leon here is a video of Jr shooting his moms AR for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2XJRYESTU

New Years day we played paintball with the family. I can tell you that getting shot in the arm with a paintball from 25 feet with no sleeves is painful. I wan't properly attired at that moment in time as I was running out on a rescue mission. We got done playing and headed out for some dove hunting. It was a beautiful afternoon but no dove wanted to play. Here is Jr waiting patiently.

http://i56.tinypic.com/afh7h5.jpg

I will update more stuff as the day progresses.

Derek Simonds
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
3 Jan 2011 Monday

First day back at work so I decided to wait to lift until Tuesday.

BJJ Fundamentals: Inside Trip, Single Leg, Single Leg Sprawl, Whizzer to Turtle Top, to Take the Back, to Collar Choke

BJJ Advanced: Open guard inside leg pass and outside leg pass. Monkey in the middle guy on bottom sweep or submit guy on top pass only. First time up against another purple belt I didn't know and I played an open passing game and just flowed before moving into a smothering pass. Then I stayed in the middle the for the remainder of the 15 minutes. I felt great all along and had a couple of good goes with some other blue belts. I noticed that most people started with their center of gravity too high. That made it easier to sweep. Ended up grappling 2 6 minute rounds and had some good moves in both. Happy with the way I felt and what I did. Yeah me.

4 Jan Tuesday 2011

Wow 05:00 is early. No earlier then before but crap I wasn't ready for it this morning. I was in slooooow motiooonnnn... By the time I got the dogs walked it was 05:46.

Foam Roll

Press up to 85, 95 X 5, 110 X 8
P/U 3 X 7

BS up to 175, 195, 220 X 5
55 LB BB Curl
45 LB BB Skull Smasheroonies

All done by 6:30 and cooked breakfast for the kids. Laney had a bad grade come home yesterday so we had to have a little talk about the importance of school. Other than that a great morning. Oh yeah the squats felt heavy as hell! Hoping just not ready for the night and morning workout.

Leon Robotham
01-05-2011, 07:12 AM
A lot to catch up on here in my log. For Leon here is a video of Jr shooting his moms AR for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2XJRYESTU

New Years day we played paintball with the family. I can tell you that getting shot in the arm with a paintball from 25 feet with no sleeves is painful. I wan't properly attired at that moment in time as I was running out on a rescue mission. We got done playing and headed out for some dove hunting. It was a beautiful afternoon but no dove wanted to play. Here is Jr waiting patiently.

http://i56.tinypic.com/afh7h5.jpg

I will update more stuff as the day progresses.

Class mate, looks like a very controlled shot! Gotta be like heaven to just hit the range. Fortunately for me I've spent a bit of time on the ranges when I volunteered for the Royal Marines but the only thing I got to fire was the SA80 A1 & A2 and The LMG, oh and the GPMG, but unfortunately for me we don't have your gun laws here :(

Derek Simonds
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Class mate, looks like a very controlled shot! Gotta be like heaven to just hit the range. Fortunately for me I've spent a bit of time on the ranges when I volunteered for the Royal Marines but the only thing I got to fire was the SA80 A1 & A2 and The LMG, oh and the GPMG, but unfortunately for me we don't have your gun laws here :(

I know your gun laws are quite restrictive. I tease one of my friends all the time by saying oh yeah you are from where Great Britain used to be... Like I have said before if you are ever in the states we will A) have to train BJJ and B) get in a little trigger time.

Derek Simonds
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
I have been doing a little thinking about what I want to focus on physically this year. I have been fairly focused on just getting stronger in my workouts and have used BJJ as my conditioning. I am thinking it is time to change that some. When I played paintball last week with the kids I was running through the woods and got winded. I wasn't too pleased with that at all. Could I run a 5K in under 26 minutes right now. Sure. It would be all levels of suck though. I have nursed this busted up right foot for almost 2 years now and have used it as a crutch on why I haven't ran. Probably time to address that.

I think I am going to add in 1 day a week of some type of running and 1 day a week of rowing. The primary goal is to get some steady state cardio work. I will wear my HR monitor and keep it in the 145-150 range. This will be between 20 minutes and 45 minutes (absolute max) worth of work.

I am thinking something like this

M: Run
T: BS, Press (this could easily be M and the run T)
W: Off
H: DL, Bench
F: Row
S: Accessory lifts

BJJ will still be in the evenings ideally 3 times a week when I am in town. This gives me a lot of flexibility and I can move it around as needed based on travel.

I also need to get committed and get in for my physical. I haven't been in a couple of years and having hit the big 40 this year it is time.

My legs are sore today from yesterdays squats. I think I am going to be hitting some pretty big improvements on my squat in a very short time with the changes I have made to my setup and stance.

Lastly a shameless bit of self promotion. I am selling one of my Suburbans. If anyone is in need of an incredible tow vehicle this is it. http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2144984340.html

BJJ Tonight and lifting in the morning.

Derek Simonds
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Leon et al BJJ players have fun with this link...

http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1628&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And one other good one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sgtjonesiniraq#p/a/u/0/xVIg_87Sy3g

Derek Weaver
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I have been doing a little thinking about what I want to focus on physically this year. I have been fairly focused on just getting stronger in my workouts and have used BJJ as my conditioning. I am thinking it is time to change that some. When I played paintball last week with the kids I was running through the woods and got winded. I wasn't too pleased with that at all. Could I run a 5K in under 26 minutes right now. Sure. It would be all levels of suck though. I have nursed this busted up right foot for almost 2 years now and have used it as a crutch on why I haven't ran. Probably time to address that.

I think I am going to add in 1 day a week of some type of running and 1 day a week of rowing. The primary goal is to get some steady state cardio work. I will wear my HR monitor and keep it in the 145-150 range. This will be between 20 minutes and 45 minutes (absolute max) worth of work.

I am thinking something like this

M: Run
T: BS, Press (this could easily be M and the run T)
W: Off
H: DL, Bench
F: Row
S: Accessory lifts

BJJ will still be in the evenings ideally 3 times a week when I am in town. This gives me a lot of flexibility and I can move it around as needed based on travel.

I also need to get committed and get in for my physical. I haven't been in a couple of years and having hit the big 40 this year it is time.

My legs are sore today from yesterdays squats. I think I am going to be hitting some pretty big improvements on my squat in a very short time with the changes I have made to my setup and stance.

Lastly a shameless bit of self promotion. I am selling one of my Suburbans. If anyone is in need of an incredible tow vehicle this is it. http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2144984340.html

BJJ Tonight and lifting in the morning.

Good call on the conditioning Derek. I've started coming around to the need to keep the CV system up to par in the last couple of months. I also notice a bit of a mood boost afterwards that I don't get from lifting.

Kevin Perry
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Good call on the conditioning Derek. I've started coming around to the need to keep the CV system up to par in the last couple of months. I also notice a bit of a mood boost afterwards that I don't get from lifting.

Noticed this too

Derek Simonds
01-06-2011, 03:45 AM
I agree about the mood improvement as well. I also have two really nice bikes hanging in my garage that get no miles and I love to ride. Might just randomly throw that in as well.

05 January 2011 Wednesday

Hey I closed two deals today. Contracts and the whole nine. Guess I haven't lost my touch. Happy New Year we are open for business.

BJJ: 45 minutes working attack on opposite side arm from side control like the video I posted. Then positional drilling. All 1/2 Guard and Side Control

BJJ: Fundamentals same as Monday except we added running the pipe to the single leg takedown.

06 January 2011 Thursday

Dog Walk
Foam Roll
Light Stretching

Bench up to 135, 155, 175 X 5,5,6
BB Row 45 X 10, 95 X 10 X 3

SDL up to 245, 285, 315 X 5

BB Shrug X 135 X 15,15,10
DB Curl 25 X 10 X 3

Ab Roller X 5 X 3
DB Tricep Extension X 10,8,6

Everything was done in under an hour. I think I am going to redo this week. I am not quite right for some reason. Not sure but none of the main lifts have felt good. No worries like I said I will just redo and go on from there. I am making sure to get my main lifts done in under 20 minutes so I have picked up the pace some from what I have been doing. The other change is I bought some GNC branded pre workout stuff and I don't like it. I got lured in by the ad, well that and the big discount, dangit! I will use the rest of this and go back to Jack3d for sure.

I don't plan on doing BJJ tonight but I was asked if I could teach. If they need me to teach I will otherwise home again, home again with the family.

Last thought we ate the last of our grass fed cow last night. It was a really simple recipe in the crock pot. Short ribs and noodles. I highly recommend it for ease and taste. My kids were fighting over the fat. It was actually kind of funny.

Eduardo Chile
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Derek. I'm working with Mike now and he's doing my programming. Nice work with the lifting.

What days do you normally go to bjj and what time?

Leon Robotham
01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Congratulations on closing those deals man.

Having to get your lifting done in 20 minutes sucks. I'm in the same boat myself and have been for the last couple of years with working a full time job and teaching on an evening. I've found that some dynamic mobility, high rep (10-15) light warm-up of whatever exercise and then ramping up to my working weight in singles or sometimes doubles if it's a 5 week. The only problem is the lack of time for accessory for me, but you have a day planned in for that.

Derek Simonds
01-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Congratulations on closing those deals man.

Having to get your lifting done in 20 minutes sucks.

Thanks on the deals. I should have been more clear. I plan for an hour in the garage. That includes as much as I can get done. The 20 minutes is for each block of big movements. So yesterday I had 20 minutes for bench and rows and 20 minutes for DL's.

I subscribe to Parkinson's Law. "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." If I am not careful I will end up getting only the two main lifts done in an hour. So I am trying to set some time limits. Plus it is a way to track some density improvements.

So I forgot to turn on the heat last night and woke up to a very chilly house, warm bed and snuggled up wife. So much for rowing in the garage today. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't got up for a scheduled workout in the last 10 years. Today was one of them.

Derek Simonds
01-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Hey Derek. I'm working with Mike now and he's doing my programming. Nice work with the lifting.

What days do you normally go to bjj and what time?

The way it is going to lay out for the next couple of months will be

M 5:15 to 8:00
W 5:15 to 8:00
F 5:15 to 7:00
S 11:00 (or when I can get Erik or Adriel to be there) to 1:00

I am gone all next week so I won't be back until Saturday.

Leon Robotham
01-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks on the deals. I should have been more clear. I plan for an hour in the garage. That includes as much as I can get done. The 20 minutes is for each block of big movements. So yesterday I had 20 minutes for bench and rows and 20 minutes for DL's.

I subscribe to Parkinson's Law. "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." If I am not careful I will end up getting only the two main lifts done in an hour. So I am trying to set some time limits. Plus it is a way to track some density improvements.

So I forgot to turn on the heat last night and woke up to a very chilly house, warm bed and snuggled up wife. So much for rowing in the garage today. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't got up for a scheduled workout in the last 10 years. Today was one of them.

Aha i'm with you!

You were asking about my own training a while back... I'm looking to lift twice a week, squat press and dead one, squat bench and power clean the other with 2 metcon depending on how i feel after work and BJJ. I'll keep the squat as 5-3-1 probably adding some heavy singles, bench 3x5, press the same, PC 5x3. It's going to mean that I have to lift at 5.30pm, 6.45pm and 8pm on each training day though which is a bit of a nightmare, but we'll see how I cope.

Waking up in the mornings like that I think is special, you just don't want to get out of bed. My partner Teresa is the best heater there is when I'm snuggled into her haha.

Arien Malec
01-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Sounds like you've got your priorities together!

Derek Simonds
01-08-2011, 04:50 PM
07 January 2011 Friday

BJJ: Open mat and positional drilling. Trained with my buddy Rich and Lawrence. I worked taking the back from the guard and then went on to attack sequences. I was making everyone do 3 attacks in a row. They had to be either sweeps or submissions but they had to string together. It was great training.

Whose wife is the coolest? That would be mine. She showed up at the academy with a change of clothes and had the kids taken care of with a sitter. We met up with a friend and had a couple of drinks then headed to a German beer garden. I had Heaven and Earth (Ham Steaks, Potatoes and Sauerkraut). That along with a liter of Spaten Oktoberfest and I was good and happy. Finished the evening by going to a local dirty bar to watch some guys we know called Dirty Sanchez. Good times all around. I was up way to late and had a little more adult fun then planned but...

08 January 2011 Saturday

Foam Roll

FS up to 155 X 3 X 5

Incline Bench up to 50 X 12 X 3

Fat Gripz rack pullz up to 185 X 3 X 5

Curlz up to 65 X 10 X 2

BJJ: All levels continued to work taking the back from guard and various attacks and sweeps from same position.

Eduardo Chile
01-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Eric said he joined the forum. I'd like to see if we can help him out with programming.

Leon Robotham
01-10-2011, 03:01 AM
How was Dirty Sanchez?

Derek Simonds
01-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Eric said he joined the forum. I'd like to see if we can help him out with programming.

No problem. I will be glad to help.

Derek Simonds
01-10-2011, 04:24 AM
How was Dirty Sanchez?

They were a blast. They are a cover band that mostly plays stuff in the Sublime genre. My main issue with going to see a band like that is the freaking smoke. You could have cut the air with a knife. Ah well I only do it once in a while.

Unless the stars align this might be my first week with no BJJ in a while.

Leon Robotham
01-10-2011, 04:37 AM
They were a blast. They are a cover band that mostly plays stuff in the Sublime genre. My main issue with going to see a band like that is the freaking smoke. You could have cut the air with a knife. Ah well I only do it once in a while.

Unless the stars align this might be my first week with no BJJ in a while.

Excellent!

When you say the smoke is your main issue, are you referring to cigarette smoke or smoke from a machine? Both are a nightmare of course, but just wondering whether or not your laws had caught up with ours and in bars, clubs and actually any business etc you're unable to smoke cigarettes, it all has to be done outside in designtated areas which is superb.

Is your work schedule crazy at the moment? I'm just starting to go through the Galvao drills from tonight, there's a lot of partner drills in there but also a heap of solo drills, I can take some pics of the drills and post them if you want just to give you something to work on.

Derek Simonds
01-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Excellent!

When you say the smoke is your main issue, are you referring to cigarette smoke or smoke from a machine? Both are a nightmare of course, but just wondering whether or not your laws had caught up with ours and in bars, clubs and actually any business etc you're unable to smoke cigarettes, it all has to be done outside in designtated areas which is superb.

Is your work schedule crazy at the moment? I'm just starting to go through the Galvao drills from tonight, there's a lot of partner drills in there but also a heap of solo drills, I can take some pics of the drills and post them if you want just to give you something to work on.

Our laws are pretty strict in FL. If the establishment derives a certain percentage of their income from food sales there is no smoking. So a dirty bar like this one sells no food so that they can have smoking. Like I said most of the time I just don't go to places like this.

Yeah work is nuts right now. I have Galvao's book but haven't played with much of it yet. good reminder.

Derek Simonds
01-11-2011, 08:09 AM
11 Jan 2011 Tuesday

War Damn Eagle! First national championship in my lifetime. And a good game as well. I am pretty sure that Cam Newton had a conscussion or some kind of injury in the 4th quarter, he jyst didn't look right at all.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 175, 195 X 5 225 X 7 (had some left in the tank and felt great)
50 LB KB Swings 12 X 4

Press up to 85, 95 X 5 110 X 9
BB Rows 45 X 12, 115 X 8 X 4 (thought it was 95 and couldn't figure out why it was so heavy!)

Really short on time and my elbows were kind of tender so decided not to push it. Kind of chaps my knickers to pay 15 bucks for a day pass and then to only work out for 45 minutes. Ah well that is what you get when you are a road warrior.

Derek Weaver
01-12-2011, 11:40 PM
$15 for a day pass? Yeesh. Good work on the squats. They had KBs at that gym?

Derek Simonds
01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I have been looking around but cant find the freaking bus that hit me. Apparently I caught a wicked pissah cold somewhere. I hit a minute clinic because I am a mess. Tested neg on strep and flu. Yeah me, viral... Makes for a really long day out of town. One more day to go tomorrow. In the past I usually feel better after 3 days and that is tomorrow so depending on how I feel I might hit the gym just for the main lifts. I need to be better I have a defensive shotgun course all day long on Saturday.

Derek Simonds
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Well the bus is gone and I am just achy from yesterday. I attended a Bushido Tactical Shotgun Level 1 course. Incredible training. I shot around 250 rounds of bird plus 15 or so slugs. Round count was a little lower then what was planned based on the amount of people working through the drills.

I consider the 12 gauge pump shotgun our primary home defense weapon and I had no idea the amount of things I didn't know. I have shot shotguns my entire life but had never tried to load one on the clock. Interesting...

My shoulders are both a little tender and I am trying to decide if I am going to work out today. Don't know yet. Got to get motivated if I am going to lift before the Pats game. There should be some pictures posted later this week and I will put a few up.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Still not all the way better but at least I am only randomly coughing now instead of constantly.

17 January 2011 Monday

Decided to go through the first week on more time...

D W/U
Dog Walk

Press up to 85, 95 X 5, 110 X 10 (surprising)
Chin Ups 3 X 3

BS up to 175, 195, 225 X 5 (just no gas)

Ab roller 6 X 4

Not really feeling anything this morning. The press was pleasant the BS not so much. I raised the rack for Andy and I think that threw me off some but once I was squatting I just didn't have the gas.

My sister and I talked about doing a triathlon together. She and a neighbor are going to do one middle of April so that would give me plenty of time. I will go for a short run later this week to see how it all feels.

Saturday I went down in a lunge to "Tactically" pick up a shotgun shell and landed right on a shell with my knee. I have a tremendous amount of pain from that right on my knee cap. Ouch.

Leon Robotham
01-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Saturday I went down in a lunge to "Tactically" pick up a shotgun shell and landed right on a shell with my knee. I have a tremendous amount of pain from that right on my knee cap. Ouch.

Ouch!!

get well soon bud. And nice press!

Derek Simonds
01-19-2011, 05:51 AM
18 Jan 2011 Tues

A good friend joined the academy last night so I went to fundamentals with him.

BJJ Fundamentals: double, double to navy, hip throw off collar grab, kimura sweep, kimura

19 Jan 2011 Wed

D W/U
Dog Walk

Bench up to 135, 155 X 5, 175 X 11 (another huge pressing surprise)
BB Row 45 X 12, 95 X 10,12,12, 15

SDL up to 245, 280 X 5 (no problem with weights but got called inside for a wifey need help moment and never got back out into the garage)

Shrug 135 X 15 X 2

All done in 40 minutes. Didn't plan on stopping just kind of worked that way when Tracy called me inside. I still had 315 to go and it would have been no problem. Sigh. I am glad I could help with the kids though. That is what being at home is about for me. I also know that I have to start earlier then what I am doing if I want to be uninterrupted.

Going to hit a couple of classes tonight and the next two days should be 3 a days. Let's see how things go.

Leon Robotham
01-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Can't believe what your wife does for her profession, you lucky lucky man!

Derek Simonds
01-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Can't believe what your wife does for her profession, you lucky lucky man!

Yes I am! Somehow she has got to where if she isn't getting massages on a regular basis I don't get massaged. Her network of masseuses have been messed up this last couple of weeks so today is her first massage in a while. Hence I haven't had a massage in a while... But yeah me that means I am going to get one in the next couple of days.

Derek Weaver
01-19-2011, 06:53 PM
3 a days. Wow. How you holding up?

Derek Simonds
01-20-2011, 05:46 AM
It has only ended up being 2 a days with some current craziness at work. Tomorrow though watch out I am going three times.

19 Jan 2011

BJJ: Positional Drilling with Rich. Worked 3 minutes top 45 seconds rest 3 minutes bottom. Wash, rinse and repeat. Focused on 1/2 guard most of the time and finished with 2 rounds of side control. I mostly focused on sweeps and escapes. I made sure that I did not get out of breath the entire time. That was interesting focusing on not using much energy but still making the moves you want. I have been dicking around with a drill I read about somewhere. You stay in contact with your opponent lightly so that when you are ready you can explode. I think TMA's call this a sticky drill or something similar. I have been having great success with it. Last night I was closing my eyes and just moving by feel.

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as Tuesday night. I bailed after this class and went to a friends 40th bday party. By the time I got there they were out of food so I had a beer and went home to eat.

Derek Simonds
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
20 Jan 2011 Thursday

Run. Well blah. I used to enjoy running now not so much. I guess teh old adage if you hate something it is probably cause you aren't good at it holds true here.

Approximately 1.6 miles. 20:23 run 1:30 walk :45. No biggie just getting it done.

Derek Simonds
01-21-2011, 03:50 AM
21 Jan 2011 Friday Do Work Son!

Dog Walk turned into dog run to beat the rain back to the house
D W/U
Foam Roll

SGBDL up to 185 X 3 X 3
FS up to 160 X 3 X 3

DB Incline Bench up to 65 X 6,6,8
Ring Plank Rows 6 X 4

FGBB Curlz 45,55,60 X 12
20 LB DB Tricep Ext X 12 X 3

For some reason it felt like I was actually doing a lot of work. After I wrote it down it turns out it wasn't that impressive. HMMM... Technique wise everything felt great except the SGBDL. For some reason my low back did not like them today. I think it was from the run last night. Yeah that's the ticket. Blame it on the run.

Derek Simonds
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM
21 Jan 2011 Friday Lunch

BJJ Competition class: Warmed up and then grapple! I did 2 X 10 minute rounds with 2 different brown belts and then died on the mat... Talk about a total bonk. Man I crashed hard. My food intake has been ok, not perfect but pretty darn good. So I am not sure exactly why I crashed so hard.

The first guy was an absolute beast, very similar in size and stronger then me. He arm barred me 2 times from open guard by simply getting my elbow past his crotch and shoving it sideways. After the last one I told him man when you get a sub you don't need to crank it I am not going to spaz on you. I was actually worried about how hard he was going for the subs. It was also a classic example of how my positional attacks are good but I don't go for enough subs. I was able to advance to mount twice and back mount once, which is where we ended but he still subbed me multiple times. I have to get more aggressive in my attacks! Have to, have to, have to!!! Second round was more of a flowing match, Arny has a crazy good open guard and he played it to the hilt. We were pretty much stalemated. I did pull a smooth helicopter sweep but he was able to recover and we ended right back in his open guard again.

I drank a fountain coke to get some energy back and am going to eat again in a few minutes. I plan on training for a couple more hours tonight.

Derek Simonds
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
21 Jan 2011 Friday PM

Well 3 workouts for a total of almost 4 hours today.

BJJ with Mark. All positional drilling on the clock. Worked a lot of different stuff tonight. I enjoy working with Mark as he gives it his all every time. I did catch a knee in the eye while drilling half guard and that is the first thing Tracy said when I walked in. Ah well it is a contact sport, no?

Derek Simonds
01-22-2011, 01:29 PM
22 Jan 2010 Saturday

BJJ Private with Fabin and Rafa. Worked all from half guard and nothing technique specific. Mostly worked on getting to upside down / tornado / dive under half guard and attacking from there. Worked on something Fabin dreamed up where you attack the outside leg in an ankle lock and move from there. Conceptually it was great to get my brain thinking differently.

BJJ All Levels: Worked a ton of stuff off De La Riva. three techniques from the ground then two from standing. Good stuff Maynard.

I am officially smoked for the week. I was recounting my bumps, bruises and scrapes and Fabio says "you train hard you are going to train hurt". Yep.

Eduardo Chile
01-23-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm quite jealous you went to bjj so many times!! I'm hoping I can arrange my schedule to allow me to go 3-4 times a week consisently.

Derek Simonds
01-24-2011, 03:34 AM
I'm quite jealous you went to bjj so many times!! I'm hoping I can arrange my schedule to allow me to go 3-4 times a week consisently.

It was a good week of training. This week maybe 1 or 2 times max. The training outside of class is paying huge dividends. Positional drilling makes you think differently.

24 Jan 2011 Monday

Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press up to 90, 100 X 3, 115 X 8 (once again surprised with my pressing)
BS up to 185, 205, 230 X 3

Density Block AMRAP in 5 minutes (each exercise) of

16 KG KB Press: 88 Reps
P/U's: 28 (huge level of suckage on P/U's today, just didn't have it for some reason)

FGBB Curlz 12 X 3
Abz Rolla 7 X 4

Shoulders are feeling it right now. Legs are interesting. I feel like I should be doing a lot more I just haven't felt comfortable last couple of weeks. Got some jacked up travel coming up over the next week so everything is going to be flexible.

Leon Robotham
01-26-2011, 05:26 AM
It was a good week of training. This week maybe 1 or 2 times max. The training outside of class is paying huge dividends. Positional drilling makes you think differently.

24 Jan 2011 Monday

Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press up to 90, 100 X 3, 115 X 8 (once again surprised with my pressing)
BS up to 185, 205, 230 X 3

Density Block AMRAP in 5 minutes (each exercise) of

16 KG KB Press: 88 Reps
P/U's: 28 (huge level of suckage on P/U's today, just didn't have it for some reason)

FGBB Curlz 12 X 3
Abz Rolla 7 X 4

Shoulders are feeling it right now. Legs are interesting. I feel like I should be doing a lot more I just haven't felt comfortable last couple of weeks. Got some jacked up travel coming up over the next week so everything is going to be flexible.

What are FGBB curlz? Obv biceps curls of some sort, but?

Derek Simonds
01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
What are FGBB curlz? Obv biceps curls of some sort, but?

FGBB Curlz is my shorthand for Fat Gripz Bar Bell Curls. I have been trying to do more stuff with the Fat Gripz. Working them in whenever I can. That is not to be confused with FBBC Pinch Curlz. Fat Bastard Barbell Club 2X4 Bar. That is actually a lot of fun to curl with and I haven't done that in a while. Going to add that back in now that I think of it.

Derek Simonds
01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
26 January 2011 Wednesday

D W/U

SDL up to 245, 295, 325 X 3
10 LB Plate Curls 10 X 4

Bench up to 145, 165, 185 X 3
Neutral Grip P/U 4 X 5

Paid 9 bucks for a workout at an ok facility. Really short on time and needed to get this done quick. Dinner with clients in 20 minutes.

Samuel Hughes
01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm sure clients will appreciate a sweaty business man for his dedication to health and longevity :P

Seriously though, love the dedication.

Derek Simonds
01-28-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm sure clients will appreciate a sweaty business man for his dedication to health and longevity :P

Seriously though, love the dedication.

Thanks man. Interestingly enough I ended up sitting and waiting on my client for dinner. I could have spent some time at the gym but I got what I needed done.

28 Jan 2011 Friday

Lots of stuff going on in the next couple of weeks and I think I am officially going to be smoked by the middle of February. Got home late last night after some snowy travel delays in MI. We are heading to Tampa tonight for Jr's first meet of the year tomorrow at 8:00 AM and then back to Orlando for our yearly boys night out with all the kids at Monster Jam. Sunday is going to be all about sleep for me. Then I go on a whirlwind tour of the US starting Monday morning early.

Dog Walk

FS up to 165 X 3 X 3
DB Incline Bench 45 X 12, 50 X 12, 65 X 7 X 3
FGBB Rowz 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 100 X 10 X 3

Done and out of there to work. I need to be productive today and get out of work as early as I can for the drive to Tampa. I will update my log tomorrow or Sunday with some video of Jr's meet.

Derek Weaver
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Tell Jr. Good Luck!

Eduardo Chile
01-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I feel your pain! I usually work 6 to 7 days a week and try to get in as many lifts and bjj sessions as I can.

Good luck at the meet!

Derek Simonds
01-30-2011, 07:20 AM
I am so proud of my boy. If you are friends with me on FB you saw his results. Jr took 1st on High Bar, 2nd on Vault and 4th on Pommel and ended up 6th overall out of 16 competitors. I got video of everything except his rings routine. I will try and edit it today and get it posted.

He had a fall on one of his skills on floor and missed his bonus on parallel bars. Those two little things cost him 3rd place and a place on the podium. He was very happy and is going to focus on those items this week at gym. This meet the age group was 10 - 13. He is still 10 so that made him even happier.

Finished the day by going on our annual Monster Truck boys night. I was the designated driver and by the time everything was finished I was exhausted. Whirlwind week coming up so I am going to eat, nap and then workout this afternoon.

Derek Simonds
01-30-2011, 04:53 PM
30 Jan 2011 Sunday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 195 X 5, 220 X 3, 245 X 2
Bench up to 155 X 5, 175 X 3, 195 X 3

Weaver Stick Levering Front and back 3 X 4
Club Rotations X 12 X 3
Ab Roll X 8 X 4
10 LB Plate Curl X 10 X 3

Fast and Furious. I got a quick video of the BS and will post later.

Leon Robotham
01-31-2011, 03:10 AM
I am so proud of my boy. If you are friends with me on FB you saw his results. Jr took 1st on High Bar, 2nd on Vault and 4th on Pommel and ended up 6th overall out of 16 competitors. I got video of everything except his rings routine. I will try and edit it today and get it posted.

He had a fall on one of his skills on floor and missed his bonus on parallel bars. Those two little things cost him 3rd place and a place on the podium. He was very happy and is going to focus on those items this week at gym. This meet the age group was 10 - 13. He is still 10 so that made him even happier.

Finished the day by going on our annual Monster Truck boys night. I was the designated driver and by the time everything was finished I was exhausted. Whirlwind week coming up so I am going to eat, nap and then workout this afternoon.

I didn't see the posts, but that is awesome!! Looking forward to seeing the vids.

Eduardo Chile
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Let me know when you plan on going to jits. Good lifting.

Derek Simonds
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Let me know when you plan on going to jits. Good lifting.

As of now Friday lunch and evening and then Saturday. All depends on travel.

Derek Simonds
02-01-2011, 09:08 AM
31 Jan 2011 Monday

I was zonked from my flight out to LA and meetings all day. But I needed to do something so I did this.

4 Rounds of

25, 30, 35, 40 DB Crush X 12 reps
25, 30, 35, 40 DB Curlz X 12,10,8,6
Pushups X 10 X 4
50 LB DB Rows X 12 X 4

Then 4 Rounds of

20, 25 DB Tricep Extension X 12, 8,6,6
20,25,30,35 DB Flexion X 12,15,17,20
10 DB Extension X 12 X 4
25 LB Blob lift X 3 X 4

Just a quick get the blood flowing pump up workout before heading to Little Tokyo for some of the best sushi and Asian cuisine I have ever had.

Now on my way to Omaha NE.

Derek Weaver
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Good stuff to get unglued after a cross country flight.

Have you checked out the neural charge workouts that Thibaudeau has written about for T Bag?

I have done a few of them, but keep forgetting, when I am worn out and they seem to help.

Derek Simonds
02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Good stuff to get unglued after a cross country flight.

Have you checked out the neural charge workouts that Thibaudeau has written about for T Bag?

I have done a few of them, but keep forgetting, when I am worn out and they seem to help.

No but I will check them out. Got into Omaha but then couldn't leave. Kind of like Hotel California... Got a flight now at 4:45 so I am going to at least make it to Nashville.

Had an extremely productive day on the phone so I made the best of being stranded. Got in another super quick workout.

02 Feb 2011 Wed

Ran the rack 25 to 50 of
Press + Hammer Curlz X a minimum of 5 each set

Then
DB Incline 35 X 12, 50 X 12 X 3
50 DB Shrug + Row X 12 X 4

Done and out of there in under 20 minutes. Packing now and on my way to the airport. I will do DL + FS on Friday at home.

Derek Simonds
02-03-2011, 06:47 AM
03 Feb 2011 Thurs

I RAN! Enough said.

Derek Weaver
02-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Was it both miserable and awesome at the same time?

Derek Simonds
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Was it both miserable and awesome at the same time?

Short answer yes. Long answer it is soul robbing achingly horrible to run indoors on a treadmill and that is where I was stuck running today. Blah! Oh well at the airport finally going home and looking forward to being home and working out in my own gym tomorrow. My BJJ buddies have been hounding me and we have 4 hours of training set up over Friday and Saturday. Chile meet us at the academy tomorrow at 5:00 if you can.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2011, 05:53 AM
04 Feb 2011 Friday

Dog Walk
D W/U

SDL up to 280 X 5, 315 X 3, 355 X 2
FS up to 170 X 3 X 4

On the SDL I did double overhand up to 315 X 3. I tried on the 355 but I couldn't get it up above my knees double overhand and had to switch grips. FS was no problem. Actually everything felt good this morning. The kids were excited to see me, I was too, so they were in and out of the garage. I just hit what I needed to and got done to hang with them.

GTG dips and p/u's plus grappling today. Yeah to being home.

Arien Malec
02-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Yeah to being home.

It does feel good after travel.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
It does feel good after travel.

YES IT DOES!

04 Feb 2011 PM

BJJ with Eduardo, Rafael and Mark. Poor Mark Eduardo goes 225, Rafa is 205, I am 205 and Mark is 175. He didn't have an easy go all night long. 3 minutes on 45 seconds of rest positional drilling. We went hard, real hard for 50 minutes then Chile and I went right down stairs to competition class. Had some great training in competition class and then my blood sugar crashed. Got tunnel vision and the whole nine yards. I ate a gel and then got some peanuts, cola and chocolate milk. Now I just have a head ache. Wow we trained hard. All good stuff tonight.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2011, 01:53 PM
05 Feb 2011 Saturday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 5, 110 X 3, 120 X 3
Random P/U's throughout the workout. Probably 20 or so.

1 hour Private with Rafael and Fabin. The shit we did today was so sick. Seriously we played with some stuff that I have never seen before. Lots of fun. We worked some stuff from tornado guard, half guard and closed guard that all ended up in the same position and we developed several attacks from that last position.

All Levels: Lots of single leg and single leg variations. Then sprawl and different attacks from there. One of them was when your opponent goes for single, defend, get the whizzer and roll to omoplata. Sounds harder then it is. Ended up playing around with Rich for a little bit then we grappled for 10 minutes.

I am thouroughly spent and am looking forward to a great rest week. Oh I have to go to the Keys for work tomorrow... The guy I work for bought a 33' World Cat and we have some planning meetings to do. :D

First Jr is competing again in the morning. So I am looking forward to another great meet.

Derek Simonds
02-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Jr's meet yesterday was an emotional roller coaster. I am so proud of him. He scored a 14 or better in 5/6 events. On floor his coach was trying to get him to do some different arm movements in part of his routine and when he did it he fell 3 times trying to do the skill then was so upset that he forgot the next skill. Floor was a debacle and he scored a 10.6. He was so upset he walked off the floor and started crying. He has never cried during a meet before. He was so upset and there was nothing I could do. He managed to get his emotions under control and then went out and scored over 14 on the next 2 events to finish strong. That bad floor routine cost him a spot on the podium and really made him want it even more.

I told him I was proud of him for how he scored but mainly because he learned something about himself that day. Mainly that as a soon to be man adversity was not going to make him quit. I love my son.

Now for my rest week I had to go to the Keys for meetings. I plan on enjoying the weather and letting my body heal...

Oh yeah and I am going Tuna fishing in an hour.

Eduardo Chile
02-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Sounds like you have some fun lined up!

That's awesome about your son! Thanks for sending the picture of you, Rafa and me!

You think you will be in town again for Friday?

Derek Simonds
02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Sounds like you have some fun lined up!

That's awesome about your son! Thanks for sending the picture of you, Rafa and me!

You think you will be in town again for Friday?

I will be back on Wednesday night and train Thurs, Fri and Sat.

Derek Simonds
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
So my boss bought a new boat, a 33 World Cat TE. So we fished it for a couple of hours between meetings today and had multiple triple hook ups on tuna. We landed several, they are filleted and in the fridge for dinner tonight. A couple of more meetings and then back on the water for a little while.

Derek Simonds
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Oh I forgot we pulled our stone crab traps and had a dozen with claws over 2.5 inches. That will be another apppeteaser tonight.

Leon Robotham
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM
So my boss bought a new boat, a 33 World Cat TE. So we fished it for a couple of hours between meetings today and had multiple triple hook ups on tuna. We landed several, they are filleted and in the fridge for dinner tonight. A couple of more meetings and then back on the water for a little while.

That is the life! What exactly do you do mate?

Derek Simonds
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
That is the life! What exactly do you do mate?

I am the national sales manager for a consulting company. Luckily for me my boss, who owns the company has done very well for himself and takes care of me.

I took a picture of the boat from the house. Been a busy morning with work stuff and we are now heading out to have a little fun.

http://i51.tinypic.com/5zf9km.jpg

Leon Robotham
02-10-2011, 07:06 AM
I am the national sales manager for a consulting company. Luckily for me my boss, who owns the company has done very well for himself and takes care of me.

I took a picture of the boat from the house. Been a busy morning with work stuff and we are now heading out to have a little fun.

Aha yes I remember, what do you guys consult in ?

Cant believe how close the house is to the water! That looks fantastic, did you catch anything for tea ?

Derek Weaver
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Tough gig. Sounds like things are, in no uncertain terms, pretty rad right now.

Tell Jr. good job at his meet from the Pmenu s*** stirrers. Your kid seems to have serious heart.

Derek Simonds
02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Aha yes I remember, what do you guys consult in ?

Cant believe how close the house is to the water! That looks fantastic, did you catch anything for tea ?

Business process stuff. Our largest clients are automobile dealers and manufacturers. We work a ton with Nissan, Infiniti and Mercedes Benz on the manufacturer side and dealers all over the country. And that is why I get to travel so much. Now the other side of the coin is that for every trip I get like this last one I also have to go to Bangor ME on Sunday for a week. Ah well I consider that penance...

And yes we caught some stuff for tea.

http://i54.tinypic.com/sx0w77.jpg

Derek Simonds
02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Tough gig. Sounds like things are, in no uncertain terms, pretty rad right now.

Tell Jr. good job at his meet from the Pmenu s*** stirrers. Your kid seems to have serious heart.

Business is good and we are a little under staffed so I have done more travel then I like. I try and balance it all. I definitely will tell Jr what you said. I have lots of video to edit so maybe when I am trying not to freeze in Bangor this week I will get it done.

And I am going to do a recovery workout in the morning. Probably should do some sort of liver detox as well.

Leon Robotham
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Business process stuff. Our largest clients are automobile dealers and manufacturers. We work a ton with Nissan, Infiniti and Mercedes Benz on the manufacturer side and dealers all over the country. And that is why I get to travel so much. Now the other side of the coin is that for every trip I get like this last one I also have to go to Bangor ME on Sunday for a week. Ah well I consider that penance...

And yes we caught some stuff for tea.

http://i54.tinypic.com/sx0w77.jpg

Sounds cool mate. I hope Mercedes have given you a drive of the new AMG for your efforts :D . Bangor doesn't seem so bad....

Mmmm, now that does look good.

Derek Simonds
02-11-2011, 05:44 PM
11 Feb 2011 Friday

Another Cardiac Friday.

45 minutes rotating in and out 3 minutes on bottom 3 minutes on top out 3 minutes with Mark and Chile. Again Chile is a big sum of a beeyatch.

Competition Class non stop grappling for the next 45 minutes. All in all I think that I basically grappled for 90 minutes. Some serious good stuff. Half guard bottom is still the most dangerous place for me. During comp class I had several really good rolls even though I was planning on going a little easier. I rolled with a blue belt visitor from CA and then with my buddy Adriel who is just coming back from a back injury. I went really easy and played defense and let him work. Well he went for a gi collar choke and while defending I apparently tweaked a muscle in my upper back. It is spasming like crazy right now. Ice and ibuprofen are in my future this evening.

Oh and the best quote evah was from Chile last week when he said I think I am going to need to go eat some twinkies! That is how I felt tonight.

Really, really good training and I am trying to figure out how I can go tomorrow. I had a private lined up but Fabin can't do it now.

Derek Weaver
02-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Nice training.

On Mercedes: When I was in college, my senior year, myself and two of my friends were employed as drivers for a local construction guy. He and his friends would go out and party, we would drive them. We got into this because one of my friends was teaching swim lessons at a country club and taught his son how to swim, and next thing you know, I was driving this for 12 hours the first time I worked for him.
http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mercedes-benz-slk-55-amg.jpg
This was one of a fleet of cool cars he had us drive him around in.

I highly recommend you get yourself a ride in one if you haven't yet. Makes you feel like a king.

Eduardo Chile
02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Grappling was a blast again and tiring!!!

I need a buffet or something to keep the weight up!!!

You're going to force me to bring ho-hos, ding dongs, twinkies, and some oatmeal creampies on Fridays.

Fabin's grappling is something else. He does stuff no one even tries.

Derek Simonds
02-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Grappling was a blast again and tiring!!!

I need a buffet or something to keep the weight up!!!

You're going to force me to bring ho-hos, ding dongs, twinkies, and some oatmeal creampies on Fridays.

Fabin's grappling is something else. He does stuff no one even tries.

In the privates we do he will show me some of the stuff he comes up with and I will try it when I am flowing. Most of the time it just doesn't match up to my style. I am a much tighter control type grappler then he is. I am really trying hard on some of the upside down stuff i.e. tornado guard work we have been doing. Definitely bring the twinkies next week!

Derek Simonds
02-15-2011, 04:41 AM
14 Feb 2011 Monday PM

I am up in Bangor ME for work all week. I am really missing my family and hated to be away over Valentines Day. Especially since my wife makes her very special lasagna only on Valentines Day.

I visited Gracie Barra ME for some BJJ. The asst teacher was a 2 stripe purple belt who was at least Chiles size on the bottom and bigger on the top. Dude was solid. We did a bunch of drilling to start and one of the drills was a 1,2,3 drill where you made 3 moves then your opponent made 3 moves. It was fun and I had a hard time with it as I couldn't ever decide what was actually a move. I mean that most moves I do incorporate upper body and lower body movement at the same time. The guy I was partnered with was an 11 year purple belt who was 220 and strong as an ox. He fought vale tudo for 7 years before he started studying BJJ and was absolutely a positional powerhouse. I hope that I feel as crushing as this guy was when he was in a dominant position.

We worked an attack string from side control. Step over collar choke, step over collar choke to americana and step over collar choke to armbar. Good movement and all played off of your partners defense.

I grappled with John the 11 year purple first and he got me with that same arm bar that Derek at GBO caught me with. It is from an open guard position and they just yank your arm through when you are starting to pass. I am going to learn that armbar and the defense of it. I am telling you this guys side control was like nothing I have ever felt. I escaped and ended up getting a triangle to triangle sweep to side control of my own but I couldn't get the sub. I finished with grappling with the instructor. He was also super solid technically and very strong. I pulled butterfly guard and we fought there a little until he worked a pass to side but I was able to keep moving and ended up regaining guard and had a nice armbar and thought I had him but he shook me off. I recovered open guard while he was standing and fed his collar through his crotch to my hand behind his leg. From there I did a standing de la riva sweep and passed to side control. I was very pleased with the entire night. It was great to fight comparable level belts that were the same size (ok bigger) then me and strong. It definitely made me think about how I am approaching open guard passes. I think to avoid that armbar I am going to grab the pants legs and stand up backwards and do a standing pass.

15 Feb 2011 Tuesday

By the way it is freaking cold in the morning here.

D W/U
Stretches, lunges and stuff like that

BS up to 185 X 5, 205 X 5, 230 X 3
2.5 inch wrist roller with 10 LB's and a 5 foot rope

Press up to 90, 100, 110 X 5
Neutral Grip P/U's 4 X 7

Nothing felt right this morning. Nothing. My squat was off, my press was wobbly. Just all in all not a good workout. None the less it is done and I am off to another day of excitement at work.

Arien Malec
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
14 Feb 2011 Monday PM

I am up in Bangor ME for work all week. I am really missing my family and hated to be away over Valentines Day. Especially since my wife makes her very special lasagna only on Valentines Day.

I flew out on Valentine's Day as well. Suckage...

Nothing felt right this morning. Nothing. My squat was off, my press was wobbly. Just all in all not a good workout. None the less it is done and I am off to another day of excitement at work.

Travel will do that to you. Sitting in the airplane, dehydration, all that crap.

Derek Simonds
02-16-2011, 03:57 AM
16 February 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Stretch on an exercise ball

Run the rack

DB CUrls X 5 up to 40 then 45 X 3
DB Press up to 45 X 5 then 50 X 3
DB Shrug 50 X 12 X 5

Tricep Rope Pushdown X 12 X 5
C/U X 4 X 5

Wrist Flexion X 15 X 5
Wrist Extension X 15 X 5

I woke up at 6 and thought man I could go back to sleep but I got up and got in a quick workout in the hotel fitness center. It's day 3 in Bangor and all I have to do i make it through today and tomorrow and I am heading home. Yeah me.

Training at Gracie Barra ME tonight.

Leon Robotham
02-16-2011, 07:14 AM
"I grappled with John the 11 year purple first and he got me with that same arm bar that Derek at GBO caught me with. It is from an open guard position and they just yank your arm through when you are starting to pass"

I got hit with that on saturday by another blue belt who has about a years more experience than me. It was pretty damn fast, in fact it was that fast that even though I tapped it still hyper0-extended my arm.. Too fast, or is that just the way that armbar is??

Leon Robotham
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
http://www.dstryrsg.com/ new bjj blog :-)

Derek Weaver
02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
16 February 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Stretch on an exercise ball

Run the rack

DB CUrls X 5 up to 40 then 45 X 3
DB Press up to 45 X 5 then 50 X 3
DB Shrug 50 X 12 X 5

Tricep Rope Pushdown X 12 X 5
C/U X 4 X 5

Wrist Flexion X 15 X 5
Wrist Extension X 15 X 5

I woke up at 6 and thought man I could go back to sleep but I got up and got in a quick workout in the hotel fitness center. It's day 3 in Bangor and all I have to do i make it through today and tomorrow and I am heading home. Yeah me.

Training at Gracie Barra ME tonight.

You must have been so gunny after that workout.

Gracie Barra has a pretty far reach, eh?

Derek Simonds
02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
I flew out on Valentine's Day as well. Suckage...

Travel will do that to you. Sitting in the airplane, dehydration, all that crap.

Yeah complete and total suckage. I am not sure what is going on I think I am getting over something. I feel pretty good just not my normal self.

Derek Simonds
02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I got hit with that on saturday by another blue belt who has about a years more experience than me. It was pretty damn fast, in fact it was that fast that even though I tapped it still hyper0-extended my arm.. Too fast, or is that just the way that armbar is??

Yep it is that dang fast. In fact it is so fast the same thing happened to me. Hurts like a bear! I will check out that blog.

Derek Simonds
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
You must have been so gunny after that workout.

Gracie Barra has a pretty far reach, eh?

It was the gun show baby! Gracie Barra organized like a team fighting like a family. Carlos Gracie Jr has built a great organization. He has standardized everything. Which is good and bad but definitely something BJJ needed as its popularity has grown so much.

Derek Simonds
02-16-2011, 06:52 PM
16 Feb 2011 PM

Trained again at Gracie Barra ME. Good times and we grappled for almost 45 minutes straight. I grappled with Eddie the instructor and he caught me right at the end of the match with a collar choke that was sweet. I made him show me and I drilled it with John and I can see great value in it. Eddie made sure that everyone in the class got a chance to roll with me which was awesome.

Good times and as usual good people.

Leon Robotham
02-17-2011, 03:09 AM
Yep it is that dang fast. In fact it is so fast the same thing happened to me. Hurts like a bear! I will check out that blog.

Agreed!

It's a pretty sweet blog.

Derek Simonds
02-17-2011, 03:53 AM
17 February 2011 Thursday

D W/U
Lacrosse ball work
Exercise ball work

DB Incline Bench 35 X 12, 50 X 12 X 4
DB Row 50 X 12 X 4, 20 X 1

Push Up Plus 10 X 3
Low Row X 12 X 3

Just a quick workout before I head in for my last day of work in Maine.

Derek Simonds
02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
18 February 2011 Friday

5:15 to 6:15 positional drilling with Mark, Chile and Earl. We worked half guard for 3 entire rounds and knee on belly afterwards. Really good work tonight even though Chile forgot the damn twinkies...

6:15 to 7:00 Competition class. Chile was getting smother on. I actually felt bad for the people he was grappling tonight. I had another epic go with Rich and actually got some good movement in on him tonight.

You guys got to check out this short video I uploaded to youtube. Jr hit a couple of pommel circles on the big red ball in front of Target. The video is only 10 seconds long.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simplesimonds#p/a/u/0/p76AytV-vDo

And yes my boy loves his Crossfit Evolution shirts.

Derek Simonds
02-19-2011, 06:19 AM
19 Saturday Feb 2011

Another not so hot weight session. I am just not feeling it right now. Probably a combo of the stress I am under with work, travel and allergies / sinus crud.

FS up to 165 X 3 X 3
SDL up to 275 X 5 X 2

I also did a lot of band pre-hab work for my shoulders. I am eating some grub and Jr and I are going to work for an hour on his science project. Should be interesting.

Samuel Hughes
02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Do you have any footage of your grappling? I checked out your youtube channel and didn't see any, though the gymnastics stuff was very cool. Wish I had taken it up at such a young age...your kids are going to be studs.

The strength will return, no worries. Just need a little rest and good food.

Derek Simonds
02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Do you have any footage of your grappling? I checked out your youtube channel and didn't see any, though the gymnastics stuff was very cool. Wish I had taken it up at such a young age...your kids are going to be studs.

The strength will return, no worries. Just need a little rest and good food.

Thanks about the kids. They both are really special to me. I am definitely proud of them.

I haven't taken any video in a while. I will film some next Friday night. I am going to eat, sleep and rest this weekend and will be good to go. Plus and this is a major plus I am home all next week. Yeah me!

Derek Simonds
02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
19 February 2011 Saturday

BJJ All levels. Armbar, Triangle and Omoplata. Then specific grappling for 3 rounds. Rich taught and I assisted and we had fun. Good training today. I am disconnecting for the next couple of days and will be back at it Tuesday. See you guys then.

Derek Simonds
02-22-2011, 07:50 AM
22 Feb 2011 Tuesday

Decided to change things up and go back to a regular squat stance and linear progression. Things are just too fluid right now to have to think about anything. I am going to focus on 2 quality lifting session + a 3rd accessory session if it fits and more cardio. BJJ is progressing really well for me right now and maybe that is where my focus is.

I usually take probiotics and I ran out of my normal kind and picked some up at CVS and they are teh suck! So I haven't been taking any for over a month and my allergies are just ridiculous right now. I am wondering if my gut is contributing to the allergies.

D W/U
Dog Walk
Jump Rope W/ some DU practice (I actually strung 5 together)

Press up to 100 X 5 X 3
P/U 3 X 6

BS up to 185 X 4 X 3

Curlz run the rack up to 45 X 1
EZ Curl Skull Crusherzzz 45 X 12 X 3 + Prison Press 12 X 3

Nice and simple in and out. I think I am going to do YRG tonight and try and loosen up some of the tight areas I am dealing with.

Eduardo Chile
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I plan on going to BJJ weds, friday and saturday.

Maybe we can go through a squat critique for each other. I think Rich would probably be interested, but I lost his number.

Do you wear weightlifting shoes when you squat? I'll bring in mine whenever we do this.

Derek Simonds
02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I am good Wednesday and Friday. No Saturday this week. Jr has a meet. I squat barefoot mostly when back squatting and wear oly shoes when front squatting.

Derek Simonds
02-24-2011, 06:04 AM
23 Feb 2011 Wednesday

My stress level is through the roof. Nothing I can't handle just a significantly higher then normal amount. This to shall pass...

BJJ Fundamentals and Advanced: Fundamentals foot on hip sweep, side control to knee ride to mount to keylock. Advanced double leg takedown, escape from north/south with overhook of top leg and sweep. Grappled with one of our white belts who was just an animal. I played with him but had to work. Then I grappled with one of our brown belts who I work with a lot and we had a good go. I told him to defeat his ridiculously good half guard I was going to attack a lot more. Guess what it worked. I ended up getting a solid armbar from top half guard kind of mount kind of him trying to roll to escape. Pleased with the outcome. Positional drilling is paying off big time.

After class I was fairly dehydrated and drank a 32 oz G2. When I got home I weighed in for the first time in a while and was at 199.00. Pleased with that as my body comp has changed some lately and I have less belly fat. I do need to get my diet more dialed in especially when I am under stress. I don't eat bad as much as I just don't eat or I eat sporadically. Sometimes I will eat whatever is available but it isn't too often.

If things pan out I will be in Boston for 3 weeks in March. Good for work bad for family. I will know on Monday.

Eduardo Chile
02-24-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm getting off the deep fried twinkie diet!!! I say this as I'm eating brown rice, brocolli and chicken breast. My body needs the calories though so I need to find a balance between quick meals and calories.

Let me know if you have any good diet sites. I'm still trying to get going on metabolic typing.

Derek Simonds
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm getting off the deep fried twinkie diet!!! I say this as I'm eating brown rice, brocolli and chicken breast. My body needs the calories though so I need to find a balance between quick meals and calories.

Let me know if you have any good diet sites. I'm still trying to get going on metabolic typing.

If I am trying to lose weight I simply ditch processed carbs. If you can catch it, kill it or pick it you can eat it. The other rule to remember is 3 steps from natural to your stomach. Cut out the processed carbs, up the fat intake a little and you should be good to go.

Arien Malec
02-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Despite the "looking freaky" bias to the client shots, Leangains works like crazy.

Derek Simonds
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
25 Feb 2011 Friday

Nothing too big to report today.

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

DL up to 275 X 5, 5
Pause Bench up to 185 X 5,5,3
Good Mornings up to 95 X 10 X 3
Power Curlz up to 95 X 3 (strict), 2 (power) X 4

Then Jr and I did the Diesel Crew grip challenge which was to hang from a pull up bar for time. Unfortunately the battery on my camera went dead in the middle of us hanging there. I will post it later anyways as it is funny us hanging from a bar talking. I also dedicated the video to Allen as I was wearing my Oakley hat.

I was hoping to go to BJJ at lunch but that isn't going to happen. Ah well tonight we will get it on.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 04:06 AM
25 February 2011 Friday Night

Our traditional Friday beat down. Mark, Rafa, Chile, Earl and me. We shot a bunch of pictures and some video. the video was from the last segment and we were all pretty toasted but I will get it posted soon. 1,2,3 drill to warm up then start in half guard with a d'arce applied and fight your way out of it. 3 on 45 off. Finished with about half of competition class.

26 February 2011 Saturday

Jr competed in the largest gymnastics meet in the world the Gasparilla Classics at Tropicana Field in St Pete. Wow he was on fire. Finished 3rd overall which is the highest he has ever placed as a level 5. He took 2nd on pommel, parallel barsand vault. With a 3rd on high bar and rings. He missed placing on floor by .10. It was a great meet and I got a lot of video and pictures I will edit sometime soon.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Here are Jr's routines from the Gasparilla Classic. First up is his High Bar. He placed 3rd on High Bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URZ7jsTvuZk

Here is his Floor routine. He missed a medal on Floor by .10. He knows what he needs to focus on for the next meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-EHTD9q0xs

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Here is Jr's Pommel routine. He crushed this one. He took second. He has a bad habit of hopping when he dismounts from the mushroom. If he can get rid of that he will be consistently scoring over 15.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVFM5TWFCY

Arien Malec
02-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Amazing. Awesome stuff!

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Here is Jr's Rings routine. He needs to get his muscle up. He is so close, once he has that his score will go up another .5 points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4iC3ax8B3c

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Here is Jr's vault. If you only watch one video check this one out. Look at how high he launches off the springboard. He got 2nd on Vault with a hop on the landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMZEoSQSdA

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Amazing. Awesome stuff!

Thanks Arien. It is amazing. I marvel at what he can accomplish every time I watch him in the gym. The next step to level 6 is a fairly big jump in skill level and he is already working on those skills. I hope this season ends well and he is motivated to stay in gymnastics over the summer.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Jr's P-Bars routine at Gasparilla. He took 2nd on P-Bars. At the end of the video you can see how excited he was. This was the last event and he knew that he had a new personal best on his all around score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbg6VTPbZI

Ok I am done with the computer for a while. I will copy over the grappling footage later today. I am going to take a nap with my lovely wife.

Samuel Hughes
02-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Great footage! So impressed, wish I had such a passion at that age. Cant wait for the BJJ footage as well.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
The pictures and the video are from positional drilling that we do before competition class. These drills are full force but start in a bad position. The pictures are from us fighting out of half guard.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dereksimonds/2011FebruaryBJJPracticeWithTheFridayNightCrew?auth key=Gv1sRgCMCxgMX2ze2NMQ&feat=directlink

Derek Weaver
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Cool footage all around Derek.

Each time you post up these videos I think about how much athleticism your son is developing doing gymnastics early on. If he decides to move into another sport, his gymnastics skills will transfer over very well.

Derek Simonds
02-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Cool footage all around Derek.

Each time you post up these videos I think about how much athleticism your son is developing doing gymnastics early on. If he decides to move into another sport, his gymnastics skills will transfer over very well.

Thanks man and remember I am an equal opportunity parenter, don't forget about my daughter. She is going to give the boy a run for his money. The difference is my daughter has one desire and that is to be the best at gymnastics. We will see how her passion plays out as she starts competing next year.

Derek Simonds
02-28-2011, 03:40 AM
27 February 2011 Sunday

Tracy wanted to work out so why not.

BS up to 185 X 5 X 3

Then
Press up to 105 X 5 X 4
Neutral Grip P/U's X 6 X 4
Pistols X 3 each leg X 4
Lunge with 24 KG KB forward and backward X 4 X 4

Nice little workout with the wife.

Derek Simonds
02-28-2011, 03:42 AM
28 February 2011 Monday

Tracy said she wanted to workout again so I got up and then she left on a long run. Dangit! I could have slept in...

DL up to 295 X 3,2,1
Shrug 135 X 12 X 3
BB Crush 135 X 4 X 3

Done and hanging with the kids before I take them to school.

Derek Simonds
02-28-2011, 06:20 AM
And finally the grappling video is processed. Ok here is the question does anyone know or use a HD video editing software that works if your video card isn't HD? My puter is several years old and my camera is shooting HD video and I have one hell of a time editing it. The only thing I can do is use quicktime to downsize it so that I can upload to youtube. I kind of feel like I missing the entire point of having an HD camera...

Anyways on to the video. This was shot at the end of our drilling Friday night. I start the camera and walk back to Chile. I am on top first with knee on belly and then after 3 minutes we rotate and Chile is on top. The guys in the front are Earl and Mark. Both are excellent BJJ players. Mark is also a high ranking Judo guy. Either Brown or Black I don't remember if he got promoted. Rafael had already left. We were pretty smoked from drilling and like to finish with the hardest positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hn7LWJ-kas

Not a ton of spectacular stuff especially watching Chile and me but when Chile has KOB with all 225 LB's all you want to do is breathe and escape.

Derek Simonds
03-02-2011, 04:34 AM
2 March 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Stretching

DB Curls + Tricep Pressdown X 4 rounds

And I ain't feeling it this morning. Too much work stuff in my head already so I bagged it and went back to the room to work. Now I am off to see clients for meetings all day.

Derek Simonds
03-04-2011, 07:09 AM
4 March 2011 Friday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll + Stretching

I woke up at 4:57 with no alarm and actually felt rested. That was the first time in a long while. Maybe I am shaking whatever I have been fighting for the last couple of weeks.

FS up to 185 X 2,2,2,1
Bench up to 165 X 10, 185 X 6
FG Rack Pull up to 185 X 3,3,1

Neutral Grip P/U 4 X 4
Skullcrusher + Prison Press + 40 LB's X 10 X 4
EZ Curlz + 40 LB's X 12 X 2

Actually a pleasant morning. My wife and I have been like two ships passing in the night. She is out of town with her family in MI and I am back home with the kids. We had a great night and really good morning. I love it when everyone works together.

Got big plans for BJJ today but looks like I am only going to get in one class.

Eduardo Chile
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.rawunited.org/events/2011%20UPF%20Challenge.pdf

This is the meet I'm thinking about doing.

Derek Simonds
03-05-2011, 04:00 AM
05 March 2011 Friday evening

We had 8 guys in our little training session Friday night. Very interesting. I think that we all pushed pretty darn hard. Everyone stayed in the entire time as well. I think conditioning is getting better all around.

Derek Simonds
03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
05 March 2011 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 5, 110 X 5,5,7 (very pleased with my press)
FG BB Rows up to 95 X 12 X 4

I had planned on doing other stuff but it didn't go down that way. Had several work issues that I had to handle and the kids were in and out of the garage. It was a good morning. I made peanut butter and chocolate protein pancakes with freshly picked tangerines. The kids destroyed it. I only ended up getting one pancake.

BJJ All levels: we worked some fun stuff from omoplata and leg over head. I worked with a pretty decent white belt and when we grappled I hit all the sweeps we had just drilled. I also told him that was what I was going to do. Worked on De La Riva after class for a while with Mark and really played with angles and entry.

Derek Weaver
03-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Peanut butter and chocolate protein pancakes? nice.

Good job on the press.

Samuel Hughes
03-06-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnsQSRVZno&feature=player_embedded

Pretty wild!

Derek Simonds
03-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah man that was wild. I am pretty sure that I saw a fishhook at around 58 seconds... :D I actually started typing out some sort of jacked up parental manifesto that I erased. I got no problem with that kid or his parents as long he is enjoying his life and learning to be a good person in our society. With that kind of intensity and skills he will go far as long as he doesn't burn out.

Check out this demo video of no-gi Judo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8FmAV3ax4

Per Karlsson
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnsQSRVZno&feature=player_embedded

Pretty wild!

Is it me or is he mostly fighting bigger kids? Tough kid anyway!

Derek Simonds
03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Is it me or is he mostly fighting bigger kids? Tough kid anyway!

It did look like he fought several bigger kids. At that age (7) and up there can be a huge size differential in kids of the same age.

Derek Simonds
03-06-2011, 03:08 PM
6 March 2011 Sunday

The wife gets home tonight late and I know that I will not be excited about getting up early so we went ahead and worked out today.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 195 X 5 X 3

Then 4 rounds of
Bosu Ball Push Ups Plus X 10
Fat Man Ring Rows X 10
Pistols X 3 each leg
28 KG Goblet Lunges X 8 (1 forward + 1 Back each leg X 2)

That got the heart going and the legs feeling good.

KB Snatch
16 KG X 3 each hand X 2
24 KG X 3 each hand X 2
28 KG X 2 each hand (PR)
36 KG X right hand but not left still a huge KB Snatch PR

Couple of notes. I switched back to a conventional squat stance and have found that my adductors are stronger for having done sumo for a while. I never really got comfortable with sumo and am happy to be back to normal. This was the first day that squats really felt good in a while. Yeah me. I am going to work a lot more single leg stuff in over the next period of time. I am also stretching more in the evenings before bed.

I plan on taking Tracy to a Bikram Yoga place on a "date" next week to see how we like it. I also have a friend that is going to a class that focuses on tendons and ligaments which sounds painful but needed in my case.

I also probably am going to swim some starting next week as I have a friend here rehabbing from meniscus surgery and I am going to get in the pool and give him some pointers. Lots of fun stuff. Mainly I have decided I am going to enjoy my training and do whatever feels good for a while. I am intentionally Weavering myself!

Eduardo Chile
03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/store/custom-training?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=99&category_id=4

I'm trying to justify going, but I think it would an awesome learning experience.

Derek Simonds
03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/store/custom-training?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=99&category_id=4

I'm trying to justify going, but I think it would an awesome learning experience.

I hope that I cant go. Jr is competing in the state championships this weekend and if he places in the top 25 he qualify for regionals which is the 16th. If he doesn't I would definitely consider it.

Eduardo Chile
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, let's hope that you can't go then. Good luck this weekend then.

Derek Weaver
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Ahhh, the intentional Weaver. It's a skill that has to be mastered, but I'm sure you'll get it.

It feels good once you embrace it.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Ahhh, the intentional Weaver. It's a skill that has to be mastered, but I'm sure you'll get it.

It feels good once you embrace it.

Hehehe. :D Basically I am doing OLAD TM Dan John plus whatever I feel like afterwards.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2011, 05:56 AM
7 March 2011 PM

BJJ with Mark: 45 minutes of DeLaRiva goodness. We drilled the finer parts of DLR and really focused on ankle control, taking the back as a defensive move and moving to the side of your partner to increase effectiveness of attacks.

BJJ Fundamentals: Armbar drills, armbar sweep, butterfly drills, butterfly sweep to 100 kilo and mount to ezekiel. Good class with lots of solid content.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2011, 06:28 AM
So I didn't tell you guys how I only got 3 hours of sleep Sunday night. For some reason at 11:30 my lab craps in Jr's room, he wakes me up I go to clean it up and find out our whippet ate most of it. This leads to a comedy of errors including the whippet then having projectile poop vomit all over the downstairs after I had cleaned the house spotless for my wifes imminent return. Needless to say that resulted in me getting up opening a beer and getting to work. After Tracy got home I ended up getting back to sleep at around 3 and the alarm went off at 6:15. OOOF.

8 March 2011

D W/U
Stretching
Foam Roll a ton

Press up to 115 X 5,5,7 Yeah baby
Chin Ups 3 X 7

Did a couplet that a friend on FB recommended that I think is originally from Mark Twight. It was supposed to be as many rounds as possible in 12 minutes but I did 6 minutes

AMRAP in 6 minutes of
BW DL (205) X 5
DB Push Press 35 to 50% of your BW I used 2 35 LB'ers

7 rounds! I was very pleased with that and was only slightly near death when I finished. OK I was very near death. I did all the DL's double overhand and the limiting factor was the damn push presses. I had 3 rounds done in under 2 minutes and then slowed down.

4 rounds of
Ab Wheel X 8
Back Extension X 8

Done and done. I am going to try and get to BJJ again tonight if at all possible.

Arien Malec
03-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Joy...

When you are a kid, there's lots of ugliness, caused by you, that your parents clean up.

When you are in your late teens, early 20s, there's lots of ugliness, caused by you, related to drinking, that you have to clean up.

Somewhat later, there's lots of ugliness, related to kids and pets, that you have to clean up.

I guess it swings back "caused by you, that other people clean up" as you reach end of life.

Derek Weaver
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Mark Twight's stuff is what CF should have turned into. For the most part.

Rough experience with the dog poop. Had a similar experience with my very old terrier mix a couple months back. Except he ended it by throwing up on the shoes of a door to door salesman. Right as I was ushering him to the nearest exit (happened to be the front door), the doorbell rang, I opened the door, dog went charging out about 3 feet and hurled right on the dude's shoes. I thought it was funny. Dog and salesman, not so much.

good point by Arien.

Derek Simonds
03-10-2011, 06:27 AM
09 March 2011

Stress factor 1 gazillon

BJJ with Mark: We worked on the DLR guard and attacks and added in work with spider guard and attacks from the ground. I pulled off a couple of variants that will be a regular part of my ground arsenal. In fact I was so happy with them that I dreamed of grappling tomorrow.

Derek Simonds
03-10-2011, 06:58 AM
10 March 2011 Thursday

Stress Factor 1.1 gazillion

D W/U
B W/U

Power Snatch up to 95 X 2 X 3 and 105 X 1 X 4 (actually fairly easy and probably close to a PR as I don't ever really power snatch)
DL up to 305 X 3

I really didn't spend enough time warming up. Kind of another jacked up night. Tracy was out late with her friends from MI so that interrupted my sleep schedule and then when I woke up all the crap from work came to the front of my brain and I laid there thinking too long. Ah well. The DL was no strain on my legs at all. On my set up for 255 I felt something in my lower back that kind of twanged. Not hurt but just didn't feel right. It is a little tender now but no problem.

Leon Robotham
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't have access to Youtube or Vimeo at work, but if you search "Terere - the return of a champion" there is about a 10 minute documentary on his return. No doubt you will know about the tough times he's suffered recently so to see this and his hunger to compete again is really moving. If he was to win a Pan Am or World Championship again that'd be an immortal story!

Derek Simonds
03-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I cued that video up last night before I went to train but didn't watch it. I will today! Are you part of the DSTRYR team? I have really been enjoying their posts. What I practiced last night was off of the spider guard a couple of posts below the Terere video.

Derek Simonds
03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Hulse apparently got some advice about his form on KB lifting on youtube and he responded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9Zwye7B1s&feature=player_embedded

Leon Robotham
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I cued that video up last night before I went to train but didn't watch it. I will today! Are you part of the DSTRYR team? I have really been enjoying their posts. What I practiced last night was off of the spider guard a couple of posts below the Terere video.

I am. It's a really good site and i'm sure it will become a great resource. Another fantastic blog that I frequent is www.thegrapplingdummy.com oh and one more actually, www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com. Lots of good BJJ info and footage! If you have any blogs that you frequent let me know please.

Derek Simonds
03-11-2011, 06:02 AM
The only blogs I frequent are the ones you have recommended.

22 March 2011

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

PC up to 95 X 3 X 4

FS up to 185 X 3 X 3, 205 X 1
Bench up to 185 X 5 X 3
BB Row up to 95 X 12 X 3

Skull Crusher 51 LB's X 12 X 3
Prison Press 51 X 12 X 3
Power Curlz /Curl 95 X 6 X 3

Was very distracted by what is going on in Japan and Hawaii. I have quite a few acquaintances on the big island and am watching that closely.

Derek Weaver
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Hulse apparently got some advice about his form on KB lifting on youtube and he responded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9Zwye7B1s&feature=player_embedded

Whoa, that dude should workout with Gillian Michaels and work KBs together. I like how he shows himself doing all these SM stuff, when it's his KB form that sucks.

Derek Simonds
03-12-2011, 04:20 PM
USAG State Championship today. Jr placed 8th overall in his age group in a tough meet for him. He was 11th overall for all of Florida. That means he qualified in the top 27 for the state and was invited to compete for FL at regionals in MS. We are going to MS in April now. Here are a couple of pictures.

http://i53.tinypic.com/213m3ie.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/svryb5.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2my23ip.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2me2wx2.jpg

Pretty incredible experience overall this year.

Eduardo Chile
03-12-2011, 05:13 PM
That's Awesome! Congrats! Sounds like it was a good time. Those pictures are amazing.

Derek Simonds
03-13-2011, 07:19 AM
That's Awesome! Congrats! Sounds like it was a good time. Those pictures are amazing.

It was and I tried so hard not to get wrapped up in how he was doing and just to be in the moment. So I wrote about this on FB but just to share with you guys. There was 101 athletes plus all their family so I am estimating over 400 people in a big dance hall type of studio waiting on awards. We were at Florida Atlantic University and they were so supposed to supply a microphone. It didn't work and the women from the host gym were trying to do the awards and nobody could hear them and the crowd was getting ugly. What to do? Well if you are me and used to talking to large crowds without a microphone you get up and take over. Jr is standing to my left in the black with his medal around his neck

http://i56.tinypic.com/vf8aw8.jpg

Derek Simonds
03-13-2011, 07:23 AM
13 March 2011 Sunday

So that little tweek I had in my low back, well I guess it got irritated by 10 hours in a car and sitting in hard gym seats for most of the day. I am going to ice it now.

D W/U
B W/U
Foam Roll

PC + PJ up to 95 X 2,2,2, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145

BS up to 205 X 5 X 3, 225

My low back started really talking to me. Still not major pain but certainly annoying enough that I was not willing to do any more work today.

Derek Simonds
03-14-2011, 04:19 AM
14 March 2011 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 120 X 5 X 3
Chin Up 4 X 7

I am taking the rest of the week off so I can get this muscle strain healed up. I have some potentially goofy travel T,W,H anyways so this will probably work best. I am very pleased with the press though. It was hard but not the same hard as before. I think the direct tricep work is paying off. Usually where I would have stalled I was able to squeeze right through. Yeah me.

Derek Simonds
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
16 March 2011 Wednesday

Well I woke up early felt good and decided to do something.

Incline Bench up to 50 X 12 X 4
Supported DB Row 50 X 12 X 4

Skull Crushers + Prison Press 51 X 12 X 4

My back is better but still not happy. I was thinking today based on how freaking crazy my schedule has been plus all the changes going forward including todays schedule change that I am living the acronym SNAFU. Things are getting better just got to get some sense of normalcy in what I have planned for the next 3 months.

Derek Weaver
03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
That actually looks like a real nice workout.

Derek Simonds
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
It was simple and no strain on the lower back.

16 March 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: There is a belt test on Friday night so we did a review of a bunch of basics. Unfortunately I was told by the front desk guy last night that the big boss has laid down an edict that nobody trains without an instructor on the mat. Not sure why and truthfully it pissed me off. Oh well. I am going to talk with Marcio and see if there is a solution. Probably do that next week sometime.

I am finishing up here at work and am heading out for a long weekend with Tracy and the kids. Just going to be us up at the lake for three days. Should be nice and relaxing. Catch you guys when I get back.

Eduardo Chile
03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
That sucks. 5 pm on Friday was my favorite day. I don't understand some of the decisions and more reason I really enjoy lifting in my garage.

Derek Simonds
03-20-2011, 12:51 PM
20 March 2011

Three idyllic days at the lake with the family. I gave Jr his birthday present early. He got a new Jamis mountain bike. He loves it. We rode every morning for at least 5 miles. I really enjoyed being on the bike with him. I also swam laps in the pool today with kids, yeah me. My lower back is still tender which is annoying. Oh well. Seriously needed that down time.

Derek Simonds
03-21-2011, 05:51 AM
21 March 2011 Monday

Wow what a crazy night. I had a hard time falling asleep then the cat went nuts, Jr had a nightmare, the cat went nuts again and I finally just gave up and got up at 4:15. I didn't expect much today in my workout, I am still sore and figured I was going to be lacking in my energy. Not so fast...

Foam Roll
D W/U

Press up to 125 X 5 X 3, 95 X 13 (That is a PR!!!)
P/U Ladder up to 6 and back down

Drag Curlz 55 X 12,12,6

2 LB Club swinging to finish out the workout.

I think I can go up X 5 again next week. Not sure but boy was I pleased by that. I got a cut on my right bird finger killing a water moccasin that swam up in the middle of the kids this weekend and that was super annoying. It is right in the crease on the last joint.

Looking forward to BJJ tonight and a productive day today.

Derek Simonds
03-21-2011, 05:53 AM
And this is why I do what I do. He was so excited by the bike. Yeah me that I have an athletic family that likes to do stuff.

http://i53.tinypic.com/x6mlue.jpg

Derek Simonds
03-22-2011, 05:56 AM
21 March 2011

BJJ Fundamentals: Lots of breakfalls, mount escape, mount choke escape to guard collar choke, armbar from guard

BJJ Fundamentals: osoto gari, escape from side control to leg over guard, leg over guard to knee on belly, monkey in the middle from open guard (I stayed in the entire time) grapple! grappled three times one with a visitor from GB Montreal where I trained, one from with one of our brown belts and last with one of our blue belts who is about to get his purple. I was pretty tanked from last night so I was kind of playing slow which was a mistake with the brown belt. Good lord his top pressure it ridiculous. The last roll I pulled off 3 subs in the round. I also used the open guard spider / de la riva sweep very well.

Good times on the mat. Looking forward to getting in at least 3 more sessions this week.

Derek Simonds
03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
22 March 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as Monday. I worked with two 14 year old boys. One was a trial and one has been training for about a year. It was funny to observe as you can see the beginnings of the monkey dance. If I wasn't paying attention they would escalate the amount of effort they were putting into the move. I kept telling them not so hard boys, work the tech don't try and hurt each other. Really an interesting observation for me.

Derek Weaver
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Great picture of you and your boy there.

Re: BJJ. I remember rolling when I was a fairly new white belt with a guy who was a pretty advanced blue and how effortless it seemed his game was. I told him that and he said something to the effect of "wait until you are a blue and you roll with purple and brown belts."

Gentle art indeed.

Derek Simonds
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
23 March 2011

AM

Foam Roll
D W/U
Dog Walk
Stretch

Mace Swings 21 LB'er 12 each direction X 6
BS 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 5 X 3, 135 X 5 X 2, 185 X 2 X 3

Stupid move on the BS. I was only going to do some light stuff for forms sake. Well it all felt good so I went to 185 and my back has been complaining ever sense.

PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as last two nights. But guess what... I got a stripe tonight.

http://i51.tinypic.com/23maa2x.jpg

Arien Malec
03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Excellent!

Derek Simonds
03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
25 March 2011 Friday

My back got to the point yesterday morning where I couldn't take it any longer so I went to the doctor. Glad I did. In the intake my BP was 128/70 and my pulse was 72. I know neither are really low but with the amount of caffeine I had consumed and the pain I was in those both felt like victories. I described what had happened and the doctor ran through a bunch of movement tests. When he did the old hit the knee reflex check on my left leg it didn't move, not once, not an iota. Doc says well that is interesting. We then run through a bunch more tests and he decides that I am alive just with no reflex on my left knee. Based on all the stuff that he observed he believes that I tore some of the muscle fiber away from my spine. He also said that when you are athletic that this type of injury is significantly more painful then if you are sedentary. He said with your back muscules I imagine you are in some pretty serious pain. I said yep. He offered to do an MRI or X/Rays but felt that they weren't needed and he was confident in his diagnosis.

He also told me about a recent study with people who had similar injuries. They took 1/3 and had them stay in bed with pillows under their knees and head, 1/3 did a strict regiment of exercise and stretching and the last 1/3 they told them to do whatever they felt like. At the end of the 3 days there was no difference in pain or range of motion in the exercise or bed rest groups and the people that did whatever they wanted had the least pain and best range of motion. So he says we don't know what works to heal other then do what your body tells you it can do and try not to sit much at all.

Massage, heat and ice, a NSAID and a muscle relaxer were all prescribed and he said call back in 10 days if you aren't feeling better.

I got up this morning and had no pain at all, I sat down to put on my shoes and instantly I could feel discomfort. Not miserable pain like before but dull if you do this too long you are going to regret it pain.

In the garage I started playing with movements. I tested each one to see what hurt and what didn't. Basically anything where I press my low back into flexion or deep extension was a problem. If I kept my spine neutral I could move pretty freely. Based on that it looks like I might be an upper body specialist for a couple of weeks while this heals.

D W/U
Tons of movement playing around to find what I could do.
Foam roll lightly on the lower back but aggressively on my legs

Bench up to 185 X 3 X 3 (no leg drive and no significant arch in my back)
Chin Ups 3 X 10

DB Floor Press 45 X 12, 50 X 12, 65 X 12 X 2 (WOW that was an unexpected huge PR)
DB Curls 25 X 12, 30 X 12 X 3

Done and drove into work and I still feel pretty darn good even without taking the muscle relaxers. I am going to stretch every 20 to 30 minutes and not spend too much time in my chair today.

Derek Weaver
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Is that a teaching stripe? If I remember correctly, some BJJ instructors allow students to begin teaching at the purple belt level, but I can't remember which stripe.

Well done on the stripe, the floor press PR.

Not bad news on the back, good luck on healing up quickly.

Derek Simonds
03-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Is that a teaching stripe? If I remember correctly, some BJJ instructors allow students to begin teaching at the purple belt level, but I can't remember which stripe.

Well done on the stripe, the floor press PR.

Not bad news on the back, good luck on healing up quickly.

Thanks brother. At our academy I think they really want a brown belt or higher to teach adults. For the kids classes they will let purple belts teach.

The back is going to heal quickly! Positive thoughts all around. OHMMM......

Derek Simonds
03-28-2011, 06:14 AM
28 March 2011 Monday

Celebrated Delaney's birthday at the lake this weekend. She recovered nicely from the flu. Apparently after puking for 14 hours she needed 20 hours of sleep and she was good to go. Another great weekend with friends and family. One last thought, when your brother in law calls and says hey I got a deal on a Jager machine you might want to really consider before saying hell yeah we need one for the tiki bar. Wow that is a dangerous thing to have sitting on the counter.

D W/U
Lots and lots of foam rolling.

Press 45 X 5 X 3, 75 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 2, 130 X 3,2,3, 95 X 15 (OK that has to be a PR at 130 for sets across and 95 X 15 is the most I have ever done after worksets)
P/U 1,2,3,2,1,1,2,3,2,1

BB Curls 45, 55, 65, 75 X 12

I am going to press 130 until I get it for 5 X 3. I also did a lot of hanging from the bar really trying to lengthen my torso.

Kevin Perry
03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Very nice job on the press

Derek Simonds
03-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Thanks Kevin.

28 March 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Double leg takedown, side control escape with leg in, side control escape to takedown from knees and arm triangle.

We had a black belt visitor last night for advanced named Jarrod Bunch. He played football at Michigan and then in the NFL and won the No-Gi Pan Ams this year. I wanted to stay but knew if I did I would end up grappling and I am still nursing my back so I headed out. Hopefully he will be there Wednesday. He was a big dude for sure.

Derek Simonds
03-29-2011, 07:38 AM
29 March 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Stick DL's X 25 X 4

FS 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 5 X 4

GM's Stick X 12, 45 X 12 X 3

All exercises were supersetted with foam rolling and stretching. It was a great mobility work out. I focused a lot on the front of my body to make sure that I didn't have tightness that was tilting my pelvis and contributing to the lower back pain. No pain in any of the movements.

Derek Simonds
03-30-2011, 06:14 AM
30 March 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3, 185 X 5 X 4
Low Pulls Yellow Band X 20 X 3
Chin Ups X 4 X 7

Skullcrusher + Prison Press 51 X 13,10,10

Done and done.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2011, 06:05 AM
30 March 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Single and Double leg takedowns, escape from side control knee in, knees to the mat and double leg takedown and foot in to butterfly, arm triangle.

BJJ Advanced: Some technique that I have promptly forgot, then positional drilling monkey in the middle style starting from butterfly. I made it the entire time until one of our black belts passed my guard, he didn't want to stay and told me to stay in the middle so I stayed in some more. We grappled 2 matches the first I grappled with a visitor we had and caught him in that choke I learned in ME, from side or KOB you get a palm up collar grip like you are going for a cross collar and then we he defends you snatch his arm all the way across your body trap it in your armpit and then circle your other arm around to hug and choke. Worked great. Finished with a BB and I was exhausted but couldn't pass on the opportunity. I actually passed his guard for like 15 seconds before he recovered it. That felt like a small victory. We had to restart as we were getting rolled into and when we did I went for open guard and he passed right as time was expiring. Totally exhausted and happy.

Derek Simonds
04-01-2011, 06:09 AM
31 March 2011 Lunch

No-Gi: We had really bad weather so the class had very light attendance. There ended up being 7 of us on the mat by the end but only started with 4. We worked from the clinch and transitioning to single or double leg takedowns.

After about 15 minutes Fabio said open mat have at it. I ended up grappling for the next 40 minutes. I grappled with another big purple belt for two rounds. I got an arm triangle first and then landed a seriously deep rear naked choke. I felt fast! I had forgotten how much quicker no-gi is.

Finished the time working with a new guy. Strong younger guy who has only been to about 6 no-gi classes. Lots of fun thinking through things to share with him.

Derek Simonds
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
1 April 2011 Friday

Let's see it is the one year anniversary from the worst April Fools Prank on me evah. Last year one of our Ad Reps and our graphics artist decided they were going to delete all the icons on my desktop and replace it with a picture of my desktop that they set as the wallpaper. That way I couldn't click on anything. What they did not realize was that three of the folders were actually working folders that were too large for the recycle bin so by the time they figured everything out I lost massive amounts of data. Yes there was blood in the office that day.

D W/U
Foam Roll everything a lot

Press 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 115 X 3, 130 X 4,3,3, 95 X 15 PR For Sure!
FS 45 X 5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5,5,4,1

Mace Swings for 3 minutes

That is right, improvement. I am going to hit 130 X 5 X 3 next week for sure. My upper back is super tight today for some reason so I have been doing a ton of ball work trying to loosen it up. If everything works out I am going to hit the academy today.

Oh and this beta from Google looks interesting. Obviously I am a Google fan boy but still I can see this having legs.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/motion.html

Arien Malec
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
1 April 2011 Friday

What they did not realize was that three of the folders were actually working folders that were too large for the recycle bin so by the time they figured everything out I lost massive amounts of data.

In unrelated news, March 31st was World Backup Day: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/world-backup-day-reminds-you-to-backup-your-world-today/

:)

Derek Simonds
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
In unrelated news, March 31st was World Backup Day: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/world-backup-day-reminds-you-to-backup-your-world-today/

:)

That is awesome!

BJJ Competition Class: Turned into open mat. Worked with Rafael and we went at it fairly hard. I tried to keep the intensity level turned down, but... Played exclusively with open guard. Worked a ton of spider and DLR. Lots of fun and worked up a helluva a sweat. Back at work and finishing strong.

Derek Simonds
04-02-2011, 05:46 AM
1 April 2011 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: There was a class warm up then we just started grappling again. I worked with Wes and we drilled passing the guard. Mostly open and I spent most of the time working against him. I finished the night grappling with a younger guy who is a 2 stripe white belt. I told him I had 5 minutes before I had to leave. Well if you have 5 minutes you should do 5 subs. I did.

Now on a completely different track. My 9 year old daughter is in 3rd grade and a kid at the table next to hers in class was causing trouble. Apparently he was taking pencils throwing them on the ground and rubbing back and forth with his feet. This kid is a known problem and is almost 11 (he was held back). He started taking the pencils off the table where Delaney was sitting and she told him to stop then he tried to take her pencils and she grabbed them from him. Then he said you are all pathetic and weak grabbed Delaneys wrist and hit her in the arm trying to make her let go of the pencils. She yanked away and ran up to the teacher who was doing something else and told him what happened.

Did the school call me? NO. Did they send home a note explaining what had happened? NO. My daughter tells me when I pick her up after her gymnastics class at 7:45 PM. Delaney is fine and doesn't appear to be bothered by it but I am pissed off. So I start using my google fu to find the teacher or principal of the school. I find the teacher on FB and indicate how important it is that he and I speak immediately. What do you know he called me. We had a nice little conversation and he and the principal are going to be calling me first thing in the morning on Monday.

It's probably best that I wasn't able to see these people in person. I look like hell I have a black eye and my face is covered in mat rash.

I also told Delaney and Jr that nobody is allowed to touch them ever. If someone ever does that again they have not only my permission but my full support to use everything they have ever been taught against that person. I had another private conversation with Jr and explained again how important it was for him to be aware of what was going on around Delaney.

I am still perturbed over this and it is 15 hours later. Worst part is I leave for Boston tomorrow so I can't even go to the school in person on Monday.

I have tried to put this in context. Did I get into fights in school, yes. Did I get in trouble for stupid stuff in 3rd grade, yes and I got paddled (bet most of you on here didn't get paddled in school). Did I ever hit a girl, NO. I guess besides it being my daughter it bothers me that a parent could raise a kid that thinks others are pathetic and weak and would hit a girl.

I don't know. Thanks for reading this crap. I know there is no problem long term and it was an opportunity for me to tell the kids how I will react if they defend themselves. It just really bothers me since I moved the kids out of private school into public and we have dealt with some really stupid shit here that they wouldn't have where they were. I am pretty sure that is what is eating at me.

Arien Malec
04-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Been there as well. I'm surprised - many schools have gone to zero tolerance for bullying. Any kid with known problems should be on a behavior plan as well. That's the approach I'd take with the principal.

The only positive is that my 14 year old daughter can stand up for herself based on her experiences. Sounds like Delaney can as well!

Derek Simonds
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Been there as well. I'm surprised - many schools have gone to zero tolerance for bullying. Any kid with known problems should be on a behavior plan as well. That's the approach I'd take with the principal.

The only positive is that my 14 year old daughter can stand up for herself based on her experiences. Sounds like Delaney can as well!

Thanks Arien for the guidance. Apparently the school does have a zero tolerance for touching. That is what the teacher told me last night. Not sure exactly how what is going to happen but I am confident that Delaney can handle herself.

Derek Simonds
04-02-2011, 01:19 PM
2 April 2011 Saturday

BJJ Private with Fabio and Rafa: Man we had a good private. Mostly we worked passing refinements when your opponent has an open guard. Then we drilled some counters, I played with a knee bar off sit up guard and we rolled positionally. Couple of really good ah ha moments for me today. One when your opponent is playing open guard with one leg up and one on the ground pin the ground leg with your shin and you can really control the game. It worked so well that after class when I was grappling with one of our brown belts who crushes me I used it to pass for a whopping 30 seconds. Couldn't hold side control but dang it I got around.

BJJ All levels: Sweeps from butterfly. We worked three. First is standard sweep, second was when they post a leg and you underhook the leg and roll the opposite way and third was rolling under their posted leg to x guard. I also drilled a pass where you wait until your opponent starts the butterfly sweep and you roll under their top leg and take the back, mount or side depending on where they end up. I loved that pass. It is kind of harder for a big guy cause you have to hit the timing exactly. We finished class with 2 rounds of positional drilling from butterfly. First round I went with a white belt and just played around. Second round I went with one of our multi stripe brown belts and it was go time. Class wrapped up and we stayed and grappled at least 15 more minutes.

Now for the coolness. We had another visitor today. His name is Rafael Abi-Rahin. I think he is a 5 time Brazil National Champ. His BJJ was amazing. I would get sidetracked watching him instead of doing the drills. I couldn't find the link we were watching at the academy. When I get it I will post it.

Here is the obligatory class picture. Chile is sitting right behind me in the blue gi. I think I counted 7 purple belts, 2 brown belts (1 wasn't in the picture), and 2 black belts. It is so nice to have that kind of talent to train with.

http://i56.tinypic.com/54nl5.jpg

Derek Simonds
04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Here is a link for Raphael Abi-Rihan

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/raphael-abi-rihan

Some good BJJ in these videos. Raphael said his two favorite submissions are armbars and footlocks. He definitely has them down to a science.

Eduardo Chile
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Check this thread and article out.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/2011/exercise-science/cns-handle-stress

Derek Weaver
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Regarding the training, that's awesome. My instructor was a Mundials gold medal winner and used to have some of the Gracie Barra guys up to the school to workout. Seeing them train (all black belts) put things into perspective. Interesting to see those really high level guys roll. They seemed to roll with the aim of hitting positions rather than searching for submissions. Don't remember anyone getting subbed, but I'm sure when they did the actual lock was probably much easier.

Regarding the bullying, that's not so awesome. Great that you made sure your kids are aware that defending themselves is not only okay, but it is what is right.

I had the same approach from my folks. I was the smaller guy who didn't pick fights (common sense said it was usually a bad idea), but I defended myself once a line (set out by my parents) was crossed.

Not to be too political, but I tend to be in the camp that this whole anti-bullying in school thing will end up making the issue worse. Not to say bullying is okay, because it is very much the opposite. It is extremely unfortunate for the kids that won't, can't, or don't know how to stand up for themselves, but whenever anything falls into the sights of a politician it's usually bad news for everyone. /soapbox

Also, I was paddled when we lived in Texas, then we moved out West. Though I was only paddled at the private preschool we went to. I only know this because I asked my Dad when I talked to him earlier if I ever got swatted in school. He said the preschool teachers would light us up if we got out of line, then chuckled.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Check this thread and article out.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/2011/exercise-science/cns-handle-stress

I will thanks.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Not to be too political, but I tend to be in the camp that this whole anti-bullying in school thing will end up making the issue worse. Not to say bullying is okay, because it is very much the opposite. It is extremely unfortunate for the kids that won't, can't, or don't know how to stand up for themselves, but whenever anything falls into the sights of a politician it's usually bad news for everyone. /soapbox

Also, I was paddled when we lived in Texas, then we moved out West. Though I was only paddled at the private preschool we went to. I only know this because I asked my Dad when I talked to him earlier if I ever got swatted in school. He said the preschool teachers would light us up if we got out of line, then chuckled.

I agree. I don't know the right answer or a solution that can be mandated but I fear that we are not helping the situation.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
5 April 2011 Tuesday

Did 30 minutes of mobility and grippers in my hotel room

6 April 2011 Wednesday

Worked out a local gym and did these exercise pairs

Jump rope
5 chin ups

BB DL X 10 X 3
BB Squat X 10 X 3

Bench up to 135 X 10,7,5
DB Row up to 50 X 10,10,10

DB Curl +
DB Press up to 25 X 10 X 3

Mainly just to get the blood flowing. I am thinking that I might have hurt my lower back worse then I had originally thought. I thought I was basically good to go but man it is still hanging around so I am going to take it easy until it is right.

Derek Simonds
04-08-2011, 06:07 AM
7 April 2011 Thursday

Jump Rope X 50
Push Up Plus X 5

10 rounds

Gripper work with band extensions.

8 April 2011 Friday

Finished up in Boston last night, drove to Providence had a horrible meal, slept like crap, got up at 0 dark hundred and am in Baltimore now waiting on my flight to Jackson MS. Today is Jr's regional gymnastics championship and I am excited and ready to be there to support him.

Derek Weaver
04-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Hope your son did well at his competition.

I wonder where my jump rope is. I haven't skipped in ages.

Derek Simonds
04-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Hope your son did well at his competition.

I wonder where my jump rope is. I haven't skipped in ages.

It was an amazing experience. Jr did great. He didn't buckle under the pressure and in fact had his best floor score ever with a 14.2. He ended up with an 83.9 overall which placed him 22nd out of 79 competitors in his age group. He had a lower then normal bar and rings routine which is what kept him out of the top 10. He tied for 6th on vault and was awarded the 12th place medal based on his overall score.

He once again learned a lot about himself and I am proud of the progress he has made this year. He told us at breakfast on Saturday that he couldn't wait to compete as a level 10. That was monumental. He has never committed to something like that so close to the end of the year.

Good times with him and Tracy and travel home on Saturday was a breeze. In fact we made it back in time to see my nephew and his team compete at the state Odyssey of the Mind competition (very interesting by the way) where they have to complete 7 tasks and the only source of power they can use is a mouse trap. Alan's team won and are going to the mouse mobile worlds in DC. Amazing.

My parents are so proud of all their grandchildren but this was a special weekend for our entire family.

10 April 2011 Sunday

I am trying out a new technique for me. It is one of Adam Glasses principals that when you reach excessive tension in the body it is time to stop. I am going to work with that for a little while and see how I feel. I didn't realize how banged up I was until I stopped training this week. WOW.

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 130 X 3,2,1 95 X 5,5,5
Various Chin, pull and neutral grip ups for a total of 50

Ez Curls 51 X 12 X 3
Ez Curl Skull Crusher 51 X 10 X 3
95 LB Power Curls X 5 X 3

Done and off for a celebratory dinner with 4 generations of our family. More tomorrow some time.

Arien Malec
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Congrats to Jr.!

Derek Simonds
04-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Congrats to Jr.!

Thanks Arien

11 April 2011 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 5 X 3, 135 X 5 X 3

GM 45 X 12 X 3

Rolling Thunder 50 X 5, 75 X 5, 100 X 3,2,2

Went with if there is no pain keep going idea. I could feel just an edge of pain if I overextended on the GM's. I kept them really close to neutral and focused on good form throughout.

Got a real hectic morning and then I m off to Boston for another week of work.

Derek Weaver
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
For all of Mike Boyle's faults, I think the most insightful thing he's ever said about rehabbing his athletes is that they ask one question "Does it hurt?"

No matter how excellent an exercise may be, if it hurts, it's not helping.

sounds like you're on the right track with your back. We'll see if I can stick with something similar for my hip/groin/lower ab strain thing I've got going.

Derek Simonds
04-12-2011, 09:34 AM
For all of Mike Boyle's faults, I think the most insightful thing he's ever said about rehabbing his athletes is that they ask one question "Does it hurt?"

No matter how excellent an exercise may be, if it hurts, it's not helping.

sounds like you're on the right track with your back. We'll see if I can stick with something similar for my hip/groin/lower ab strain thing I've got going.

It is tough. This is the least active I think I have been in a couple of years. It also coincides with an extremely hectic and stressful time at work. I am thinking it might just be ok to go easy for a while.

Does it hurt is a really good thing to go by. I am also trying to focus on when I am creating too much excess tension in my body. Those are good indicators.

Derek Simonds
04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
12 April 2011 Tuesday

Another hotel workout after a long day of travel.

Jump Rope X 100 X 7
Gripper work up to CoC #1 X 3,3,2,2,1,1,1,1

A ton of static and dynamic stretching probably about 25 minutes worth.

Derek Simonds
04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
13 April 2011 Wednesday

First I usually read most of the logs that have been updated but I have been so busy I am just popping in logging my workouts and getting back at it. I will catch up with everyone in a couple of days.

Second today is the last day I am teaching the exact same class (6th time in 8 days). I am so tired of hearing myself say the same thing I think I am going slightly batty.

On to the workout

D W/U

FS 45 X 5 X 3, 95 X 5 X 3, 135 X 5, 155 X 3 X 3
GM 45 X 5 X 2, 55 X 5 X 3
BB Monkey Grip Flexion X 20 X 3

Bench 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5,5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 3
DB Row 50 X 10 X 3, 55 X 20
10 LB Plate Hub Pinch X 5 X 3 each hand
2 X 10 LB Plate Pinch X 5 X 2 (real easy) 3 X 10 Plate Pinch X F (just couldn't get it)

Tricep Rope Pushdown 60,70, 80, 90, 100 X 12 then one set back down to 70 amrap each weight
DB Curl 25 X 10, 30 X 10 X 4

Done and it felt really good to move some weight. I still stayed focused on making sure that I didn't have any pain. Interestingly enough the DB rows were the only thing where I could feel it creeping in. It sucks cause it is in the back of my head every move. I am going to be glad to be past this for sure.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2011, 07:07 AM
April 14 and 15

Both hotel workouts

Normal stuff I have been doing lately, grippers, stretching, jump rope, situps, supermans, push up plus and lunges.

Saturday April 16 2011

D W/U
Lots of leg mobility stuff
Foam Roll

FS 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 3 X 5
Rolling Thunder 50 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 5, 100 X R 2 X 5, L 2,1,negative, negative, 1

GM 45 X 10, 65 X 12 X 4
10 LB Plate Wrist Curl 12 X 4

Done and off to spend time with the family.

Derek Simonds
04-17-2011, 04:35 AM
16 April 2011 Saturday BJJ

All Levels: Work from the turtle and back. I worked with a brown belt and we did the moves and played with where they took us. Did some positional grappling from the back and then finished with around 10 minutes of grappling. I did good only because I went on the offensive immediately and just kept pressing to get something. Got done and then just laid on the floor for 5 minutes before I could even stand up. Good times...

Derek Simonds
04-17-2011, 04:40 AM
17 April 2011 Sunday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 1,1,1,1,1, Push Press X 2,2,2
P/U's 4 X 4, Chin's 4 X 5
45 LB Standing Wrist Extension X 20 X 4
11 LB Seated Wrist Extension X 20 X 3, 16 X 20
Ab Wheel O'Death X 10 X 4

That is the first time I have ever loaded 135 on a press for sets across. It was a paltry 1 on the reps but dangit I will take that as a WIN! P/U's were irritating my upper back for some reason so I switched to chins which were much more pleasant. All done in less then 35 minutes. Off to church with the family for Palm Sunday and then on to Boston this afternoon. 5 days to normalcy...

Derek Weaver
04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
135 on a press = #winning. That Vatican Assassin Warlock Charlie Sheen would be happy if he knew what we were talking about. Don't forget the Tiger's Blood.

This just got weird.

Derek Simonds
04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
135 on a press = #winning. That Vatican Assassin Warlock Charlie Sheen would be happy if he knew what we were talking about. Don't forget the Tiger's Blood.

This just got weird.

Yep but I am smiling. Thanks for that. And I did feel like I was winning with 135.

Derek Simonds
04-19-2011, 03:51 AM
18 April 2011 Monday

Hotel workout: grippers, stretching, leg lifts, sit ups, pain ball work and more stretching

Gracie Barra Boston Fundamentals: If this was the fundy's class I am scared of the advanced... It was all spider guard the entire class. The spider guard sweep they taught was one of my fav's but not an easy concept to learn. We grappled 4 rounds positionally to finish the class. I took it easy and tried to help anyone that asked.

I am looking forward to advanced tonight. There was 3 black belts warming up for advanced last night but I had to haul butt to finish some work.

I am extremely sore all over my entire body. I have been stretching and working on drinking a ton of water. I am not sure why I have such bad DOMS. I wonder if I am sore from stretching? I am chalking it up to stress and travel.

One last thing. Fast internet is almost a given in my life. When I am limited by the connection I get frustrated. Last night I was working on a remote server testing some new functionality and I thought I might lose my mind. The connection here is soooper slow. Click a button and wait... screen redraws... then make another changes. Funny how that works isn't it?

Derek Weaver
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
That global DOMS is interesting. I was helping some guys get ready for a fight a few years back and was doing a ton of sparring on the feet with each one and experienced it.

Unfortunately, I had no tricks to get over it except ice baths, very light stretching and rest.

Arien Malec
04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Rest for sure. When I get sore all over it's usually a good sign for me that something's going to break.

Derek Simonds
04-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Good points both of you.

19 April 2011 Tuesday

Gracie Barra Boston Advanced: There was only 2 blue belts in the class the rest were purple and up. Lots of good, and I mean really solid BJJ players here. I worked with a Brazilian Dolph Lundgren, no wait he was was much bigger then Dolph but when I can post the picture I will and you will see what I mean. Dude was a 3 stripe brown belt with size 16 feet and class was all about spider guard. We would learn a move then drill it. Thankfully he worked with me.

Grappling was fun. First round I went with big man. We had a pretty interesting start. He was very aggressive and very strong. Some how in transition I got to my knees and was able to drive into him and catch both of his legs for a double, I took him down drove my shoulder into his stomach and was actively pushing with my legs into him. From a seated position the dude suplexed me up and over him! Well shit. I just don't know what to do about something like that. I ended up escaping and somehow found turtle. He went for a clock choke didn't have it but I tapped as all 270 lbs of him was spinning around on my head. I decided discretion was the better part of valor in this round. We reset and went again and I got guard and was able to defend his pass until time was up.

Grappled then with a 3 stripe purple that was a little smaller then me with a great half guard game. He was really active and I was playing a light pressure passing game. I went for a d'arce a couple of time and basically was trying to move without being a crusher. He tried to take my back but I defended and he was kind of hanging on my left side with his left elbow up around my neck. I had it trapped the way I was laying and I asked him and the Prof if they allowed wrist locks in their academy. They both answered yes and I had the lock set tight. The guy I was grappling said go for it and I said ok and got the tap. He told me afterwards that he was bluffing and that he knew he was stuck as soon as I grabbed his wrist.

Finished with Roman who moved up there from Orlando. Roman's game has improved a ton and he was super aggressive going for passes from standing the entire time.

All in all just a great night on the mat.

Derek Simonds
04-20-2011, 04:57 AM
20 April 2011 Wednesday

Hey its 4:20 Day

D W/U

FS up to 165 X 3 X 4
GM up to 65 X 10 X 5
BB Crush 65 X 20 X 4

Bench up to 165 X 5 X 3
DB Flyes 25, 30, 35 X 12 X 3

DB Curlz 25, 30, 35 X 10 X 3
Tricep Pressdown 90, 100, 110, 120, 130 X 12

I planned on 5 sets of FS but my last rep on 4th set fell forward and I decided not to press to hard. The GM's are progressing nicely. I am focusing on squeezing my glutes at the top and feeling the hamstrings work all the way through the range of motion. I hate the benches at this gym. They are so slick that every time I drive with my legs I slide off the top of the bench. Oh well.

Now for the weirdest stuff I have seen in a while. I was going to check Crossfit to see if this was todays workout. There was a skinny guy, like me, doing thrusters, hanging knee raises and clean grip hang power snatches in a circuit. The CGHPS were painful to watch. I really wanted to ask him what he was doing but didn't. Not bagging on the guy just a bizarre last exercise.

Eduardo Chile
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a fun grappling session! You should check out my latest video on youtube. It feels heavier than it looks.