PDA

View Full Version : Big 21 Program

Larry Lindenman
03-14-2007, 05:14 AM
I just completed a great Olympic Lifting Program. It put about 15 pounds on my clean and jerk and 20 lbs on my snatch! A lot of my progress had to do with three weeks of focus on the O-lifts and complete rest from the WOD. Warning, week 1 is easy, week three is brutal. Here is the program:

The Big 21

3 Weeks - Monday, Wednesday, & Friday (9 Sessions)
3 sets of 5 & then 6 singles of the following exercises:

1. Power Clean (from floor) & Military Press with 3 Press-out per rep (3" range of motion)
2. Snatch
3. Clean & Jerk

The Rules
A. You must increase the barís weight 5 Lbs on every set.

B. You must increase the start weight every session by 5 Lbs.

C. Remember that the weight that you finish with in session #1 is the weight you start with in session #9, so plot out the entire 9 sessions before you start. Start light.

D. Enjoy

After the three weeks, rest a couple of days and test max efforts on the O-lifts. Warning, this workout is long...the last week it was taking me over an hour to complete.

Jesse Woody
03-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Cool stuff, is that the same as this?

http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587

JW Luckett
03-14-2007, 06:54 AM
This is the famous Dan John program you are referring to?

Robb Wolf
03-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Nice Larry!
I'm in shoulder re-hab mode. Once that is done I really want to give this a go.

Ron Nelson
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Copyright 2007 Daniel John Enterprises, Murray, UT

That said, it is quite a feat to accomplish. Strong work, Larry.

Larry Lindenman
03-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah, got it from Ruthless Gym (Dino) in Manassas, Va He has a relationship with DJ. All I can tell you is great program, great callous' on my thumbs, and the 3 sets of 5 reps keeps your metcon active and alive.

Danny John
03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
The "original" post:

http://danjohn.org/page73.html

I started using this with my throwers in 1991...after I read about it on the internet...and we are in Day Eight right now.

The internet thing was a joke. I love how one person thinks I stole their Intellectual Property...hell, I was stealing stuff LONG before the internet.

Scott Kustes
03-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Sounds brutal. If I had the sand to give the snatch a go, I'd try it. Last time I snatched, the shoulder screamed at me as it came halfway out of socket (or was that me screaming). Anyone have a suggestion on modifying it to not snatch?

Don Stevenson
03-15-2007, 03:29 PM
If the problem is the catch doing snatches you could always just do snatch high pulls. Not a perfect solution but it would still work your snatch groove some while you get your shoulder sorted out.

Gary Valentine
03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
i learned it from joe mills in 1980, he was using it with bednarski and the gang at Central Falls club from the '60's. 20 snatches staring with about 25 kg under your best. 5 singles, add 5 kg do 5 more, add 2.5 do 5 more, then add 2.5 for each single up to 20th lift. 20th lift then will be 20 kg over where you started. if you make 21 or 22 consistantly, you bump tthe start up by 2.5, and go from there. after the snatches do the same in the cj. he said if you did it all in about an hour and 45 minutes, you were in shape. ive found that to be very true:-)
if you try it, id recommend starting on the low side and getting all 40+ lifts in.
you could always do the 21 or 22, and start higher the next time. one thing to remember around the 15th clean and jerk was his saying "you're never as tired as you think you are". -g

Larry Lindenman
03-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Yeah, i was late to work, the wife was complaining about all the banging in the basement, and i was dieing throughout the day. A carb/pro drink during the 1.5 hour workout helped me (not paleo but helpful). You really groove the O lifts with this program Dan this is genius, keep stealing. I'm going to try this again towards the end of summer. One thing I will change is I was using construction boots (have not sprung for the O-shoes yet)...now I know why I need to purchase the O-lifting shoes, as the weights get closer to 100% the feet need to move fast, real fast. construction boots are fine for OH squats, FS, pulls, and even cleans, it gets a little dicey for heavy snatches and C&Js.

Robb Wolf
03-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Sounds brutal. If I had the sand to give the snatch a go, I'd try it. Last time I snatched, the shoulder screamed at me as it came halfway out of socket (or was that me screaming). Anyone have a suggestion on modifying it to not snatch?

Scott-
Have you worked the muscle snatch? PVC, then alumalite bar then regular bar? I am ~90% rehabbed on my separated shoulder and just re-introduced these. Great movement.

JW Luckett
03-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Larry,

Go for the shoes.

-jw

Allen Yeh
03-16-2007, 06:56 AM
At the end of my shoulder rehab mode I'm looking to do the Big 21 also. I was trying to remember what Dan had said about starting weights and this was Dan's comment from his t-nation article:

"We go to "heavy"...sorta max, the week before in all three lifts. Don't...by God...base it on Max Max Max...you will be dead.

At the end of nine workouts, you try to add five...maybe ten...pounds to that sorta max in testing. Don't do what some of my athletes do: Coach, I got 185 in the snatch and in nine workouts I think I will get 225."

Funny stuff.

Rick Deckart
03-17-2007, 06:17 AM
I started this program today, but I will restrict myself to 3 reps instead of 5, so it's actually a Big 15. We will see how it is going...

Scott Kustes
03-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Scott-
Have you worked the muscle snatch? PVC, then alumalite bar then regular bar? I am ~90% rehabbed on my separated shoulder and just re-introduced these. Great movement.
I have not. How does one do a muscle snatch? I'm pretty much 100%, but I think my lack of coaching/form on the snatch puts my shoulder in a disadvantageous position. My clean form is good enough and the shoulder doesn't take the brunt of that force.

Larry,
I had a dream the other night that I was on a military cargo plane for whatever reason and you were the pilot. Odd...ZMA is good stuff. First I hung out with Jason Bourne, now Larry Lindenman. Who's next? Superman?

Larry Lindenman
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Scott, my wife's cooking must have got to you! It must have been the non paleo cookies! Strength went up on the squat and deadlift...10 and 15 lbs greater than last 1 rm, my "sprinting" still sucked, so the big 21 is not a total cure all.

Dave Paton
03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Question:

Do you program in your current PR for the lift, so that you hit it and actually go beyond it, or should the program be weight under your PR? I hope this makes sense. thanks

Allen Yeh
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Dave P.,

Scroll up and look what Dan John said on the topic. Basically, you test the lifts in question the week before starting it and then add 5-10 pounds for your goal weight.

Danny John
03-21-2007, 01:16 PM
We finished the other day. I had four juniors snatch over 200...

Dave Van Skike
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Damn. I'm having one of those dreams where I'm back in highschool, ....Juan Diego Highschool.
To sleep. perchance to dream.....

Allen Yeh
03-21-2007, 03:49 PM
We finished the other day. I had four juniors snatch over 200...

Sheesh if that doesn't make someone want to get their squat numbers up.....then again there are some though rare HS'ers that kick my ass in just about every powerlifting lift too...sigh.

Brian Sullivan
04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Now that the snow is gone I can lift outside and drop the weights, so I can do heavier C+J and snatches than I can inside. Anyway, in this program can I power clean and power snatch the lighter sets? Or should I catch it in a squat? Or maybe I shouldn't ask so many questions and just do it. I'd really like to hear what Dan John's student do.

Thanks /Brian

Gary John
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Shaf and I were out at Juan Diego back in late January, oh my.
Though the Murray Institute is still my favorite. Snow on the ground
as a training aid.

Secret. Do the Big 21 with squats,benches, hang cleans, deads....

I just spread it out over the work week. Great way to get back into any
lift that has been hiding in the closet. Since I lift alone, I don't have to suffer the humiliation of anybody watching what my sub,sub,sub, max is.

Jesse Woody
04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I have not. How does one do a muscle snatch? I'm pretty much 100%, but I think my lack of coaching/form on the snatch puts my shoulder in a disadvantageous position. My clean form is good enough and the shoulder doesn't take the brunt of that force.

Scott, you can find the muscle snatch (as well as a TON of other useful lifting videos) here:

http://performancemenu.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&sectionID=2&exerciseID=96

Scott Kustes
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks Jesse!