PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried the 3 week Bulgarian peaking cycle?

Charlie Stone
03-18-2012, 04:00 PM
What are peoples experiences? Suitable for a beginner/intermediate (85kg 95/112.5kg)It doesnt seem a million miles away from Pendlay's "Tapering for the intermidiate"

Charlie Stone
03-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Ok, well I have 7 sessions left and am enjoying the cycle. I hit 115kg clean and jerk yesterday (not pretty) for a new pb. That might be my opener if I can hit it again tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrBuRJRmUGg&feature=youtu.be

Any major issues?

Gregg, I was wondering about the lack of hamstring work? Does it assume that lots was done before the 3 week taper? Would throwing 3 sets of 5 SLDL/RDLs be sensible? (nothing in the final week).

Greg Everett
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Do you need direct hamstring work? I generally don't do much direct back work in he last couple weeks going into a meet. And with that 3-week cycle, you're doing plenty of heavy classic lifts, so there really isn't a lack of hs and back work. if you need a lot of work in that area, trying to cram it in 2 weeks before a meet isn't the most effective approach - get it in during prep cycles.

Charlie Stone
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks Gregg.

Charlie Stone
03-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Gregg, would you expect the maximums reached on the last Wednesday before competition to be the openers at least?

I wanted to open with 90kg/110kg, which i've hit a few times through the 3 weeks (maxes in the taper 92.5/115). But yesterday the (penultimate max day) I only managed 85/105.

Greg Everett
03-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Not necessarily. In fact I would suggest sticking to 90% or so at the most.

Charlie Stone
04-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Did the London spring opens at the weekend, got 85/115kg at 81.29kg bw.

Disappointed with my snatches, here is the miss at 90kg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9bgip9DdA

Any suggested drills? Seems like I rushed onto my toes for the second pull.

Thanks for looking.

Greg Everett
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Could have stayed over it a bit longer and stayed back more; also could have been more aggressive w the arms pulling down.

You can try tall snatches for the pull under and slow first pull snatches for the timing/position (do a 2-3 second pull to high thigh before you explode - no pause).

Charlie Stone
04-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I'm a bit confused about "staying over the bar".
I thought I should start lifting my chest (by pivoting at the hips) as the bar passes my knees, bringing the bar up my thigh. At what point should I not be over the bar, mid thigh?

Greg Everett
04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd prefer you wait longer before you initiate the explosion. So continuing thinking of pushing w the legs until the bar is higher, rather than starting to extend the hips as the bar passes the knees. You'll get a more explosive hip extension and find you're able to maintain your balance better.

Charlie Stone
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I'll focus on that. Just started the classic position/ technique cycle from you're book. I will put the slow first pull snatches in place of the flat footed hang snatch pull and use some tall snatches to warm up for the full lift. Thanks again for the help