PDA

View Full Version : HS Strength and Conditioning Coach

Steve Liberati
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Noticed a few writers in the X-fit Journal are HS S&C coaches and it got me wondering a little about how much these guys make a year and how hard is it to land a position at a good school with a reputable athletic program. Seems like it would a pretty cool job if the pay was enough to make a decent living. Also curious to know whether teaching a course (PT course or something) is a requirement? Any info you can pass along would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

Neal Winkler
03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Not sure about the pay or availability, but you can expect to work long hours.

Ron Nelson
03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Most are walk ons and must be certified and cleared to work in their district. Stipends depend on the district. In our district pays between $1500 to $2000 per season (usually per academic quarter), so most have other jobs (like teaching). Check with your local HS districts and get the payscale.

Yael Grauer
03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
While Steve's asking, I have some supplementary questions. I noticed that P.E. doesn't seem to be covered by NCLB laws, so are most gym teachers also the science teachers or something? Is there a lot of competition? (The ranking I know goes like this. NO COMPETITON: Special Ed, ESL, Math, Science. SOME COMPETITION: English. TONS OF COMPETITION: History. Also, do most high schools have bumper plates, and what's the chance of getting to use them by making friends with your friendly S&C coach?

Yael Grauer
03-14-2007, 10:03 PM
P.S. If you want to work in a good school (as in, the school of your choice where you will likely thrive-- in an awesome district that has a bit of funding for equipment and motivated students), I have plenty of tips from former administrators I'd be happy to share.

Billy_Brummel
03-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Yael,

Sadly, most HS's (at least in this area) do not have bumper plates. However, I have been lucky enough to move near one that does. I have managed to gain access to their weight room and I am loving it. It probably would depend on how anal the coach is. I know that public schools would have insurance issues with a civilian working out in their facilities, but it all depends on whether or not the coach wants to enforce them. Good luck!

Yael Grauer
03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Yael,I know that public schools would have insurance issues with a civilian working out in their facilities

Even if it was a teacher?

Mike ODonnell
03-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Since I'm guessing S&C coaches at the pro level prob are lucky to make $40k a year....then you drop down to college and all depending on the school it could be $20-30k.....I can't imagine that HS is higher than $20k and may be quite lower....again all depending on the school and size of their program.

josh everett
03-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Mike
there is better money in S&C than you think. Most pro (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) head strength coaches make atleast 150K and probably most are over 200K. College head strength coaches it varies widely but a Big-ten, SEC, PAC-10 head strength coach are paid over 100K. I coach in the Big West conference and I make 52.
The hours are long but man is it a great job! It has it's frustrations but what job doesn't? I'm very appreciative of the job i have and to me relative to how I grew up it's good money.

Mike ODonnell
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Although I think in hockey they pay you in Beer and Pucks......I can see the NFL, MLB, NBA making the dough....I know that in East Coast your trainer is the usually the NHL affiliate if he has time...and in the ECHL...well you have to buy your own dumbbells and workout video....Still interesting none the less....of course salaries I am sure vary differently between pro levels and divisions in college and HS.

Don Stevenson
03-15-2007, 03:42 PM
You guys are lucky! Out here high schools don't have S+C programs let alone dedicated coaches.

Last year I went to the national conference for S+C coaches in Australia and when they announced their new "professional levels" scheme and expected pay rates for each level I almost cried.

Anyhooooo I pulled myself off the floor and went back to running my own stuff to make money and I volunteer a few hours a week coaching high school kids in our Olympic lifting gym.

Danny John
03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I make a lot doing it. That is my actual job title. But, I have advanced degrees in history and religious education which makes me qualifed to teach the O lifts.

Seriously, HS pays better than the next level in 'most' cases.

Ron Nelson
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Dan also lives off of his residuals from inventing the internet.
He's right about the HS sometimes paying more, especially if it is coupled with a teaching job. My district now features the highest pay scale in OC and only LA pays more around here.

Most of our high schools use S&C coaches for football only.