PDA

View Full Version : IF timing for maximum muscle maintenance

Mike ODonnell
03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
So if one was to implement IF....does the start and stop times matter? For example....which is more ideal

1) Eating from say 12noon-7pm
2) Eating from 7am-1pm

I have a feeling #1 is more practical for most people's lives, but I'm looking at it from a hormonal and anabolic point of view. Does #1 control catabolic muscle wasting more with feedings closer to going to sleep than #2.

Also in relation to times of working out...if you want to use the pwo window for enhanced recovery, then ideally you would want your workout at night and not in the morning?

Ideas?...thoughts?....and anything Ron might want to throw in for comedy relief....

kevin mckay
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
noon to 7 is more consistent with ancestral paterns and is recommended. There is a thread here regarding this somewhere.

ahh found it in time to edit, damn I am good ;)

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18

Frank Needham
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I read the Drs ebook from http://www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf and he recommends 5-10pm. I doubt it matters except that the length of fast should be between 15-19 hrs. I've tried it the last 3, no 4 days, and it really is something how one gets used to not eating for the entire day.

Steve Liberati
03-20-2007, 05:13 AM
As long as you incorporate a post-workout meal, I think both are equally effective for preserving muscle. What it comes down to is convenience (at least for me). For the last several months I'd fast every other day from 7-8pm until about 5pm the following day (~20hr fast). This worked well b/c most days I did not have to worry about preparing food for the work day or even spend time thinking about food. I'd workout around 4:30pm-5, ate a decent size meal about a half hr later and call it a night (still going to bed on an empty tank for optimal gh release).

Just started experimenting with the 12am-6pm window. This seems to be slightly more effective for fat-loss since you get to expend some am cals while working with a faster metabolism (it is naturally faster in the am) and then get the benefits of fasting everyday for ~18hrs or so, as opposed to eod.

So it really boils down to preference in my opinion with the 12-6 window tipping the fat-loss scale while a pwo meal addresses any muscle loss concerns one might have.

Robb Wolf
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Good answers...not much to add other than I think the spectre to catabolic meltdown is only a problem when one is insulin resistant. Once you are fat adapted and getting adequate calories/protein on average you will be fine. I think if performance is a big factor taking advantage of post workout nutrition is smart...good argument for a little pre-WO food as well. Depends upon goals and how you feel. I tend to have good performance at the end of a fast but it HURTS. The hunger on top of a Met-con is a gut-check.

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Robb said what I was going to say.

Break the fast with a pre workout meal...protein and some kind of paleo carbs, maybe.

Pierre Auge
03-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Robb said what I was going to say.

Sure Steve, we believe you!

I've had best results with fasting on my rest days. I also noticed that if you can throw in a few bouts of sex throughout your rest day while fasting you will get some surprising results!

Mike ODonnell
03-21-2007, 06:11 AM
I also noticed that if you can throw in a few bouts of sex throughout your rest day while fasting you will get some surprising results!

Yeah but who has time to really chase down a polar bear and put a dress on him like you Canadians do.....

Allen Yeh
03-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Yeah but who has time to really chase down a polar bear and put a dress on him like you Canadians do.....

Best quote ever.

kevin mckay
03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Lol

Robb Wolf
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
May this thread live forever! Ha!!

Pierre Auge
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Cute little 3000lb polar bears ;)

You never appreciate polar bears until you see one playing with a full sized chevy pickup truck like its a chew toy!

Robb Wolf
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
This reminds me of a Joke RUTMAN told us at Grady and Carlas aobut bear hunting...