PDA

View Full Version : Someone design me a program

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 09:43 AM
~6 weeks long

3-4x weekly.

My list of equipment is in the "Where do you train?" thread.

I'm sick of thinking up this shit for myself.

Steven Low
03-20-2007, 09:59 AM
It would also be nice to know (1) your goals and (2) what your lifts are in core exercises like squats, DLs, cleans, dips, pullups, HSPUs, etc.

Ron Nelson
03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Is this a test? Because I really didn't study. . .much.

If you want to run middle distance, I might be able to help. Otherwise, I'll just sit back and watch.

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 10:07 AM
At this time:

Squat: ~500
Dead: ~530
Bench: ~340
Pull ups - strict: 5-6 in an all out set.
Dips: 10-12...don't really have a place to do them.
Power snatch: probably ~175-180
Regular snatch: balance issues, things get tricky ~135# with losing it
Power clean: 245-250
Regular clean: don't really know, don't do them often.
Press: 215 (no overhead room for standing overheads though)
Push Press: 245
Jerk: ~250-255
Conditioning: Shitty
Core strength: Ok for heavy lifting, crappy otherwise.
Push ups: 30-35
Bent over rows: 225x5-6
HSPUs = 0

Goals: Bored. Need to train. Not training for anything specifically, just wanted to see what someone else would come up with. I probably won't run, though if I get my weight down under 230 or so, it becomes an option.

Dave Van Skike
03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Can't believe this thread isn't getting more traction...Jesus... Steve's a horse. Perfect raw material for all manner of ill-conceived athletic endeavors..

Drunken motocross?

Pool table bench press?

Combination of Ross's infinite intensity 50 day program and diet down to 205?

How close is Rochester Hills? they have a velodrome, you could take up track racing.

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Heh. It I were going to go down to Rochester Hills on a regular basis, I'd go to the kali and silat classes that some guru holds down there.

Chris Forbis
03-20-2007, 10:37 AM
What's BW? BF%? (roughly)

Edit: and height for that matter...

Pierre Auge
03-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Steve,
shoot me an email pjr.auge@gmail.com I'll put a program together for you and I will even make a consult over some beers when I come to michigan next month as we had previously discussed.

I will be going down a couple of days early anyways to hang with my good buddy Doug Chapman and his crew at hyperfit usa.

Dave Van Skike
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
So, your above trouncing skinny boys on the track? Fine, then I'll answer the question you didn't ask. You need a goal, not a program. I'd focus on what appears to be two big "weaknesses", Overhead squatting and Pull-ups.

Maybe a two tier goal.

First hit 12 reps with BW in OHS and 20 pullups.

For a big guy, this would seem like a nasty little task. With your low gym height you'd have to add weight to the bar with lots of little plates? Maybe chains ands bands. Sounds horrible. I love it.

Once you've knocked off the high rep goal, then shoot for a double BW OHS for a sinlge and BW pullup for a triple. I'm guessing you are tacking in at about 255-265? If you dieted down to 225-230 (eek) this would be a totally doable. Combination of wicked core strenght and reduced BW would encourage all manner of conditioning fun. Huge believer that conditioning work is more fun once you can move around more quickly.

That said, you didn't ask so....FWIW

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 11:09 AM
5'11"
~270 #

Bodyfat: I'd be surprised if it were lower than 21-23%

Dave...that's a nasty combo. Sick and twisted, even. I actually cringe looking at it. Ugh. That OHS is a tad out there on the far end...leg strength is there today, but balance, core strength, and the ability to hold that much overhead for so long isn't.

Plus, it's unrealistic for 6 weeks of commitment. I'm so not going to be able to commit to something like this longer than that...even if it's the best thing I've ever done, like Dan John says, if it works too good, I'll have to stop doing it.

Pierre, I dropped you a line.

Rick Deckart
03-20-2007, 11:22 AM
OHS and pullups match well supersetted. Make that a 8--10 reps OHS with bodyweight and 15 pullups and he can actually get there in six weeks...

Pierre Auge
03-20-2007, 11:57 AM
My friend Steve Stackpole weighs in at 275lbs and can do 15 or more pull-ups. Dropping weight for pull-ups is a cop out, plain and simple. Doug Chapman weighs 250 and can do 40+ another example of dropping weight for pull-ups being a cop out!

I'm going to put something together that you aren't used too, but from all of the videos I've seen its waht you need! A bit of conditioning while driving your lifts up... Point being to increase your work capacity in a way you may or may not be familiar with, I do things a bit differently.

Chris Forbis
03-20-2007, 11:58 AM
With numbers like that, I'd choose to do 1 of 2 things:

1. Increase my power/explosiveness. Your power clean, push press, and jerk numbers appear to be a bit low compared to your (pretty good) numbers in the press, bench, deadlift, and squat.

2. OHS and pullups as mentioned above.

As I don't know shit, I won't even attempt to suggest programming.

Dave Van Skike
03-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh yeah. six weeks......

well. the OHS/Pullup combo woudl be a good one just to see where you get in 6 weeks anyway. The more I look at it I think I'll try this once I reach my current goals.

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Doug can do 40 pullups, but, he's not all that strong on the barbell lifts, either PLs or OLs, is he? From what I've seen of his vids, I didn't get that impression. Plus, those are kipped numbers, aren't they? I don't know how many kipped I can do..heh, maybe 7.

Steve Stackpole's another story. He was reasonably strong before he started and kept up the big lifting with the metcon.

My conditioning does suck. For sure. I am definitely not at my strongest either. Or leanest. Or whatever.

2+ years of spotty training isn't conducive for PRs or maintaining a high level of conditioning.

I just worked up to a set of 7 @ 115# in the OHS...it sucked. It's funny how I'm really resistant to certain ideas.

Allen Yeh
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Doug can do 40 pullups, but, he's not all that strong on the barbell lifts, either PLs or OLs, is he? From what I've seen of his vids, I didn't get that impression. Plus, those are kipped numbers, aren't they? I don't know how many kipped I can do..heh, maybe 7.

Steve Stackpole's another story. He was reasonably strong before he started and kept up the big lifting with the metcon.

My conditioning does suck. For sure. I am definitely not at my strongest either. Or leanest. Or whatever.

2+ years of spotty training isn't conducive for PRs or maintaining a high level of conditioning.

I just worked up to a set of 7 @ 115# in the OHS...it sucked. It's funny how I'm really resistant to certain ideas.

So from this post what Steve really wants is a hardcore conditioning program that will up his pullup and OHS numbers? :D

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Remember my wee little knees are a tough fragile. Pain free at this point, but they often remind me to keep my training smart with a low grade ache.

Greg Everett
03-20-2007, 12:59 PM
i don't think i saw a 'please' anywhere, mr. steve...

Rick Deckart
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Okay, forget the OHS, do instead seated presses supersetted with pullups. Six weeks is more than enougth time to get from 5 to 15--20 strict pullups and you could try to get a strict seated BW+ press for reps which is also perfectly doable in six weeks.

kevin mckay
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about creating a random workout generator where you click on a link and it would put something together based on criteria you pre define any interest?

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all who replied.

Pierre sent me something interesting for the first 7 workouts, that look like they'll be both fun and unexpectedly strenuous.

And I do appreciate all the responses...very interesting both in content and in how most of them make me recoil.

Derek Simonds
03-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Kevin I would love to see the random workout generator. I think that is a great idea.

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I think a guy named Dan John had an idea for that.

Also, a guy over on Body Recomp had a generator that used the names of forum members, and then a kind of random set/rep/exercise scheme that used big, basic movements that was kind of cool.

Brian Amundsen
04-20-2007, 06:55 AM
HI STEVE!

UMm, pick up heavy weights, skwat heavy weights, press heavy weights.

That is all bro!

Deadlift 600, finally!