PDA

View Full Version : Damned Football! Now I have to run...

Jamila Bey
03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey folks,

So, I'm a Defensive Tackle on the DC Divas football team. Our first game is April 28, and I want to be a starter.

Now that I've learned all my holes and how to fill them :P, I need to increase my speed.

I've confused myself by reading too much about my CNS and how it can't handle the heavy weights and sprint training the day before or after one another... And I also have spent my entire life NOT running, so I'm confused.

Suggestions?

Jamila

Dave Van Skike
03-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Don't believe the hype. As long as you don't go out ovaries to the wall you should be able to mix, try them on the same day if need be.

Keep it playful and "snappy". A good sprint workout is a lot like a bread and butter strength workout, you feel faster after.

Jamila Bey
03-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Yay! Running is bad!

Oh. You didn't quite say that did you...

Dammit. So I'll just have to suck it up and do it.

Mike ODonnell
03-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Running sucks....but it's more fun the better you get at it! So just do it! I'm a fan of 400-800meter repeats...otherwise known as hell on earth.....

Steve Shafley
03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Jamila, here's the thing.

How far do you have to run in the game?
How fast do you have to run in the game?
How often do you need to do it?

Go from there.

Chris Forbis
03-21-2007, 04:58 AM
D Tackles need to be 1) big & strong 2) explosive. Speed falls under explosiveness. Short sprints (10-30yd), power cleans, push presses is what I would do... all while being sure I kept my raw strength up. Maybe even throw in some truck pushes or sled pulls. If you want to get some metcon, maybe mix the 3 (PC, PP, short sprints).

Random thoughts from a guy who was too skinny to play football beyond 7th grade.

Pierre Auge
03-21-2007, 05:38 AM
I've had fun with Dan John's Litvy Sprints. Lift something heavy then sprint! Mix and match put it together have fun with it. I concure sprinting just sucks. So as Nike says JUST DO IT!

Ron Nelson
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Get cast in the sequel to "300," do lots of resistance runs with Jump Stretch bands around your waist.

That and lots of sled pulls.

Billy_Brummel
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
My vote is for 10-20 yard sprints at intervals along with sled pulls. See if your husband would be willing to let you practice your swim technique on him at the beginning of the sprints. Try and work your technique any chance you can get- the last thing you want to practice is getting vertical right away.

Dave Van Skike
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Jamila, here's the thing.

How far do you have to run in the game?
How fast do you have to run in the game?
How often do you need to do it?

Go from there.

True knowledges. I didn't say you have to run, you have to do speed work, this doesn't have to be brutal soul sucking journey into night (that woudl be cool but, no..) If you are a DE most of your runs are under 30 yards anyway. a couple bursts after your heavy day would be perfect.

Big thing for you is to work on is changes of position. Practice going from out if position, (all fours, on your back, kneeling)-into athletic position (up on balls of feet) into full sprint, this is functional agility.

Picture perfect fast jogging is not what a DE does, a DE scrambles, gets up quickly moves from bad positons to full sprint. work on lateral sprints, turning 180 degrees even sprinting backwards. This shoudl be fun, not suckful. You are not working on "running speed" as much as the initial acceleration. Best bang for the buck is to do a little with each workout, not to fatigue, this is not metcon. it's speed work.

Jamila Bey
03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah! Dan John's lift then RUUUUN drill. Those suck, but they're great.

And the whole thing about changing positions is great too. Okay... I think I kinda have an idea about how to train in addition to my O-lifts.

To hijack my own thread here... I have a weight question.

Right now, I'm 195. (First time in 3 years I'm under 200 and I feel great!) I don't know that now's the time to really be trying to LOSE weight, but at the same time, I'm wondering what, if anything I should be doing... Truth be told, I probably should never be less than 170. I was like 15% BF in college and was 165. I think that's too small for me realistically...

Anyhow, while I'm not asking if it's okay for me to down a pint of Karmel Sutra every night, I am wondering if I should give up my restricted diet thing... Football season's over for us the last week of June.

What say ye?

Dave Van Skike
03-22-2007, 09:37 AM
eat food. knock heads. diet in july.

James Evans
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I know nothing about the sport but I do know a little about getting faster for rugby, hell, there might even be some crossover.

Listen to Shaf.

How far do you need to run? How fast do you need to run? How long do you get to rest in between?

That should set the parameters for your training.

I like the litvi stuff that Pierre mentions but keep it simple. Sled dragging, resistance bands, parachutes and all that shit aren't necessary. Get out there and sprint. 40 x 10 metre repeats. Focus on form (ask and I'll give you advice on running technique). Cranking up with the gimics can be very detrimental if you haven't honed the technique in the first place.

Steve Shafley
03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
A simple drill we used to do as 16 year old yahoos.

Lie on your back in full pads.

When the whistle blows, jump up and sprint ~30 yards.

Repeat.

One thing that many coaches have found is that if you are concerned with getting up quickly to sprint a short distance, your body ususally finds good form to sprint with. This is a point Charlie Francis has made as well.

Motion MacIvor
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
True knowledges. I didn't say you have to run, you have to do speed work, this doesn't have to be brutal soul sucking journey into night (that woudl be cool but, no..) If you are a DE most of your runs are under 30 yards anyway. a couple bursts after your heavy day would be perfect.

Big thing for you is to work on is changes of position. Practice going from out if position, (all fours, on your back, kneeling)-into athletic position (up on balls of feet) into full sprint, this is functional agility.

Picture perfect fast jogging is not what a DE does, a DE scrambles, gets up quickly moves from bad positons to full sprint. work on lateral sprints, turning 180 degrees even sprinting backwards. This shoudl be fun, not suckful. You are not working on "running speed" as much as the initial acceleration. Best bang for the buck is to do a little with each workout, not to fatigue, this is not metcon. it's speed work.

Exactly,
You're already doing crossfit so you dont (shouldnt) need any more GPP . It should all be SPP now take your fittness and polish it into something fun, usefull, and most of all unsuckfull.
Find some good football drills and make those your work out. As a rule of thumb keep every work out snappy and finish each one feeling fresh as if you could do more. That will allow you to workout more often and recover more quickly.

Jamila Bey
03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Helmets and Pads bite!

From flat on my back to up and running is the most AWKWARD thing ever. So that's what I'll be doing for now on...

There's part of me saying, "Well, I just won't be flat on my back." But that's the drill I need.

Today I got down on my back, popped up and ran 30 yards twice for a warm up
Then I did 50X2 40X2 30X2 20X2 and 10X2 After the pair of 50 and 40 yard runs, getting up was definitely more strained and much harder. In fact, now at 6 or so hours later, my low back is TIRED! And I've got a really short torso so I'm not used to low back anything. I'm not sore at all, I just really feel like I worked.

Guess that's what I need though.

Thanks all, for your suggestions. I'm gonna stick with the getting up from my back and sprinting and working the 3 point stance stuff for another week or two and then I'll work on other stuff too.

Damned if this ain't hard! But I really like hitting people, so this I'll have to do.

Eva Claire Synkowski
03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
assuming you have a stadium nearby... don't overlook the stair climb sprints. you can mix them up too - work foot speed and hit every stair, or more strength by climbing the stairs skipping every other stair or two (depending on the rise of the steps!).

assuming the climb is ~30 yards, 20+ of these is a pretty good sprint workout.

James Evans
03-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Shaf, I was going to suggest something like that, both off your back and your front.

I assume you mostly train straightline running?

Bobby Spencer
03-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I would also suggest cone drills that require keeping one's hips--center of gravity--low while changing direction and sprinting. The distance between the cones can be varied so as to work on endurance. In college we did a short weave for footwork. Sometimes a 3-yard shuttle for explosive, quick footwork. Then, the most brutal, a 150 yard shuttle--25 yardsx6 bet. the cones. We were allowed to rest for 2 mins. then ran it again and they averaged our times.

The cones are some of the best tools for football and conditioning coaches.

-Ross Hunt
03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
A simple drill we used to do as 16 year old yahoos.

Lie on your back in full pads.

When the whistle blows, jump up and sprint ~30 yards.

Repeat.

One thing that many coaches have found is that if you are concerned with getting up quickly to sprint a short distance, your body ususally finds good form to sprint with. This is a point Charlie Francis has made as well.

These drills are really fun, too.

Drop and sprints, repeated, are effective metcon, besides.