PDA

View Full Version : Nutmeg Experimentation

Craig Cooper
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Has anyone experimented with nutmeg as a hallucinogenic after reading the most recent PMenu? I want to try it, but the "painful side effects" that Scotty doesn't elaborate on worry me.

kevin mckay
03-20-2007, 09:12 PM
how do you do it?

Craig Cooper
03-20-2007, 11:05 PM
According to Scotty's Spice of Life article, if you ingest 1 or more grams of nutmeg, it can have hallucinogenic properties.

Scott Kustes
03-21-2007, 06:53 AM
From Wikipedia:
"including dizziness, flushes, dry mouth, accelerated heartbeat, temporary constipation, difficulty in urination, nausea, and panic. A user will not experience a peak until approximately six hours after ingestion, and effects can linger for up to three days afterwards. Any unpleasant side-effects would persist throughout this period."

Other sources list "general body pain".

And then there's this:
2.1 Main risks and target organs

-transient psychosis

-possibility of fatty liver and hepatic necrosis

-transient renal toxicity

-possible carcinogen and teratogen

-possibility of death occurring

2.2 Summary of clinical effects

Nutmeg intoxication resembles anticholinergic
intoxication, e.g. profuse sweating, flushed face, delirium,
dry throat etc. There is always an altered state of mind,
e.g. hallucinations, confusion and an impending sense of
doom. Clinical symptoms may be contradictory depending on
the length of time lapsed after ingesting the toxin.
Symptoms also vary according to the dose taken and the
variability between different samples of nutmegs.

I didn't know I really needed to list all of the side effects for the PMers. :D Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out for you.

And Scotty writes excellent recipes and bicycle tutorials. I write articles about spices. ;)

Robert Allison
03-21-2007, 07:31 AM
If you are interested in legal hallucinongens, you might investigate Salvia divinorum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

There are some clips on YouTube of people under the influence of salvia... might give you some idea of what you would be in for.

Craig Cooper
03-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Scott - oops, sorry for the mistaken identity, a misread on my part. Thank you for elaborating on the side effects, you have succeeded in scaring me away from massive doses of nutmeg, wholy crap! BTW, great article, lots of useful information within. Has anyone read Michael Pollan's (Omnivore's Dillema) most recent article in the NYTimes?

Unhappy Meals (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?ex=1327640400&en=7c85a1c254546157&ei=5088)

The reason I bring it up is because he mentions thyme and all of the antioxidants within in his article. It's a good read, except that he alludes to the "fact" that tribes who consume mostly animal products have been shown to have high levels of coronary heart disease, and seems to be pro-vegetarian.

kevin mckay
03-21-2007, 09:39 AM
You crazy kids, I will just stick with my peyote

Scott Kustes
03-22-2007, 08:11 AM
That's what I'm saying...screw the nutmeg. It appears to have too many side effects. Stick to LSD, peyote, and ecstasy. They are much safer alternatives to this dangerous "nutmeg" fad.

Robb Wolf
03-23-2007, 06:20 AM
That or San pedro:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pedro_cactus
I "heard" you can find these at walmart and Target. Legal to own, just not to ingest. funny how that works.

Nutmeg does not sound like fun. Now if we had some Gallic acid, an inert atmosphere set...lithium-aluminum hydride reducing agent...thems was the days...