PDA

View Full Version : "Damn near perfect form"

Tom Brown III
01-18-2013, 06:46 AM
I came across this video from the 2008 crossfit games. I’m certain the depth and historical nuance is lost on me re: BBS, High rep O-lifts, crossfit etc. None the less, I thought some discussion/commentary might add value by considering the footage at face value.

http://vimeo.com/2857477#

The comment associated with the video (quoted below) touts “damn near perfect form” and is held up as a motivational tour de force. This is so frightening to me; when the video opens you can see a young girl (Kallista Pappas) in the right-background completely shitting the bed on her power jerk, then 10 seconds later another competitor in the left-background bombing out of her clean (‘supose those were “NO REPs!”)

Ms. Pappas admirably perseveres showing great courage and determination. And from that perspective her performance is truly impressive, but I have a teenage daughter myself. So I’m compelled to post here and solicit thoughts and a little perspective regarding the well being of competitors in this environment.

Here is the quote associated with the video:

“I was just rewatching this video the other day. It's of 14 year old Kallista Pappas at the 2008 Crossfit games doing 30 100 pound clean and jerks for time... thats pretty much her bodyweight... with damn near perfect form. Watch how quickly she drops back under the weight during the third pull... and look at how quick those elbows are. An unbelievable performance. This videographer was actually shooting one of the favorites, last year's womens overall winner Jolie Gentry (another animal), as she finished the last workout of the Games. After she finishes, the cameraman picks up on all the excitement behind Jolie... it's Kallista pounding through the same workout.... and the crowd 110% behind her. Remember......... this girl is only 14. Watch it, and then try to match that intensity in your next workout. Free motivation here people.”

colin dore
01-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Once physical activity takes on a competitive nature, it automatically increases the likelihood of injury, that's just the way it is. My nieces are playing hockey, and its all fun and games now (ages 6 and 8), but I know that once they hit their teens, they will start a long life of sprains, strains, tears, bumps, bruises and breaks. If one is interested in crossfit for fitness they should avoid the competition side of it, for sure.

Javier Sanjuan
01-26-2013, 11:20 PM
I have to take a different stance on this. Competitiveness, with the right coaching and environment, is REALLY beneficial. It helps develop the young child mentally and emotionally to handle victory and defeat. It instills discipline. If they have a disciplined coach, then those athletes will know that a deviation from optimal technique will increase their likelihood of being injured, less weight being lifted, and be involved in a training regimen that beats those principles into them on a daily basis. If they're just let loose to do whatever, then it's a problem. However, if their coach doesn't allow it during training, they most likely won't do it during a competition, either. If there was no competitiveness in fitness, then we wouldn't have World Strongest Man competitions, either. I think CrossFit took a weird turn and that there many things wrong with the culture they foster; if you have strict and disciplined coaches, much of that danger is mitigated.

colin dore
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I agree that competitiveness is extremely beneficial, but if you push yourself to the limit at any type of physical activity, you will deal with an injury at some point.
From what i've seen of crossfit, the whole point seems to be to just let the athletes loose to do whatever! The sport is still in an embryonic stage, so we'll see where it ends up.