PDA

View Full Version : Drills to emphasize OPENING the hips

Tom Borak
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I've been working with my athletes through the three-position C&J and snatch. We've used lots of footwork drills, snatch balance, jerk boxes etc.

I've got one athlete - and he's a GOOD athlete - who cannot carry over the full hip extension from these drills to his full power C&J or snatch. He's on the money from the mid- and high-hang positions, but he's so concerned with getting under the bar that he shorts his hip extension almost every time he pulls from the floor.

Can you recommend anything that may help correct this, or is it just going to take repetition? I have been toying with high, near max-effort box jumps that require the hips to fully open and then snap closed to get the feet high enough to land the jump. Thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Tom

Javier Sanjuan
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
I like your idea -- your reasoning makes sense.

I would also suggest high-hang or block snatch/cleans with the bar set at above knee or mid-thigh. That should help him understand the need to finish his pull up before beginning his pull under the bar. Once he grabs a hold of the concept, work the bar down the legs until the bar starts on the floor.

Another could be doing pulls + lift complexes. It could be something like 2 pulls + 1 snatch/clean. The pulls will help him feel the full extension and help it start becoming muscle memory.

I hope that helps you and your lifter.

Best,
Javi

Thomas Brenden
02-12-2013, 07:22 AM
What about dialing his weight back a bit so he doesn't have to be so concerned about getting under, and increase the volume a little bit, and slowly take his weight back up? Just a thought.

Tom Borak
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The box jumps really helped him to focus the application of power from the hang.

Thomas - we've been working between #65-#95 for the bulk of our technique work from the hang and then #135-#155 from the blocks. Great suggestion and I agree with you 100%.

Javi - breaking it down with the pull from mid-thigh helped a lot.

I also had him slow down his progression into the high hang and focus on getting the bar in the right position for the big jump.

Thanks for your help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Tom