PDA

View Full Version : Bench press sans pecs

Joe Auerbach
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Okay, I mean ... I HAVE pecs .... but what I mean is I did a pretty hefty set of bench press the other day (something like 3x20) at a good weight for max reps (80% of what I usually bench, probably 60% of my true max since I don't really count a weight unless the bar speed is good). My grip was a bit narrow (the same as it is when I do push ups) and while my beck and triceps were sore the next day my pecs felt almost nothing. Am I not engaging them? Should I widen my grip? If I benched a lot I wouldn't stress about the lack of soreness (I don't get sore from squats or deads anymore, usually) but I rarely bench at all. I'm adding it as part of a period of CUBE style training.

Thanks
joe auerbach (aka PaleoDruid)

Harlan Schulze
02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Are you training for soreness or for strength/size?

I know widening your grip will hit your pecs more, but Kelly Starrett and Mark Bell both advocate a more narrow and stable position to press from.

If it were me I would do other accesory movements to hit that muscle group (to get ready for beach season of course, lol)

Joe Auerbach
02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Obviously I'm going for strength and speed, but I'm reasonably certain that the max rep day of the CORE is mostly for hypertrophy. if that's the case, I want to make sure I'm not wasting it by getting sweet triceps (I already have pretty sweet triceps and i'm sure I can work them other ways without a bar).

Harlan Schulze
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
If you want strength hit up some 5x5s, if you want speed hit up some 8-10 sets of 2-3 reps.

Ive heard Louie Simmons say many a time that the lift is lat and tri dominant.