PDA

View Full Version : Adderall for Fat Kids

Steve Shafley
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
This is a bit disturbing:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/21/vs.adderall/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

When Alex Veith was 11 years old, he was in a bad spot.

He was 30 pounds overweight, and blood tests showed he was headed toward Type 2 diabetes. His parents say Alex was already physically active and eating a healthy diet. They didn't know what to do.

Um...obviously not.

Kind of makes me uneasy giving a kid an ADHD med because it's an amphetamine and it kills your appetite.

Mike ODonnell
03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
"His parents say Alex was already physically active and eating a healthy diet. "

F*** those parents...they are probably overweight, feed him whatever he wants to make him happy and think walking to get the mail is active...that and they don't want to be blamed for the obesity....so they say it must be genetic and whoolaa...some doctor will come along and say Yes it is genetic so a drug must be the only answer....because that is what doctors are trained to do.....thank god a profit making business called medicine is here to kill us all.....F**** this shit pisses me off.....can I say sh*t?

Kevin Scott Kett
03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Agreed,

I would prefer the side effects of discipline, intestinal fortitude, and increased self worth that come along with exercise for my kids.

Greg Battaglia
03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Yeah, Mike I share your anger. People are just so uninformed these days. Just today I was explaining to an overweight classmate that going paleo would do wonders for her health all around. Her reply was that she had "bad genes" and she would rather be happy and fat rather than lean and healthy. She then stated that she SOMETIMES drinks water instead of soda and feels as though that somehow maintains her health (if that's what you want to call her state of existent). They just don't understand!

Pierre Auge
03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
You know what, I'm starting not to care anymore! I love people which is why I do what I do. But I don't care for excuses and so I care about the people who walk in my door because they obviously want help, they're here. Thats who I put my attention towards.

The problem with human beings is that they are animals of contentment. They are too afraid of changing the status quo, fear drives us. It either drives us to improve or to languish in self pity. We are the minority who strive to improve. Survival of the Fittest!

Allen Yeh
03-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Agreed,

I would prefer the side effects of discipline, intestinal fortitude, and increased self worth that come along with exercise for my kids.

Perfect response.

This is crazy! Well the side effect of this drug is weight loss so we'll get the kid to take this forever. In the article another Dr. says: "It's morally and medically questionable, so I don't think anyone's proud of doing this."

Maybe they aren't proud but I'll bet a lot of parents are clamoring to that Dr's door now!

Frank Needham
03-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Morons. Let's see....he is headed towards diabetes so how about we get him strung out on some sort of crank? Guaranteed the little sorry bastard won't be around to bother us for too many years.

Mike ODonnell
03-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Her reply was that she had "bad genes" and she would rather be happy and fat rather than lean and healthy.

You can thank Oprah...Queen Latiffa...Tyra...and some other women who give the "it's ok not to try and exercise...no need to give up all that wonderful food that is really killing us....just be happy and shout to the world I am fat and proud....". What a bunch of crap that is.

You know what, I'm starting not to care anymore! I love people which is why I do what I do. But I don't care for excuses and so I care about the people who walk in my door because they obviously want help, they're here. Thats who I put my attention towards.

I'm with you on that one, although in a way because of that it pretty much breaks my heart knowing that people are basing their decisions off all the wrong mainstream information....people who actually want to make a change but are fed all misleading ideas day in and out...and no matter how many people I can try and get too...the mainstream so called experts and media are just dragging us too quickly in the other direction....quite sad.

Dave Van Skike
03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not condoning this medical intervention for anyone, let alone kids. It sounds pretty fucked up to me... but ignorance abounds vis a vis what the hell ritalin,adderall (ne methylphenidate) is and how it works.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually taken methylphenidate adn can compare to say an ECA stack or even some biotest product like hot rox.

Methylphenidate is no big deal. For those that are not habituated to it, caffeine and many, many over the counter stims have similar results on the brain and in the appetite department. The ritalin stigma is about as overblown as the "i'm tubby becuase of my genes" argument.

Steven Low
03-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm with you on that one, although in a way because of that it pretty much breaks my heart knowing that people are basing their decisions off all the wrong mainstream information....people who actually want to make a change but are fed all misleading ideas day in and out...and no matter how many people I can try and get too...the mainstream so called experts and media are just dragging us too quickly in the other direction....quite sad.

Yup, I agree as well. I honestly just give some people advice or try to steer them in the right direction, but after that what they do is up to them. I encourage a lot of people to come workout/train with me, but I rarely get any people to come. Ironically, most of the people that come with me are the ones that don't need it in terms of dropping weight.

You can't make people do what they don't want to do.

Mike ODonnell
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
As long as the world is run based on the success of economy and stocks and morals take a back seat...and companies are most interested in selling and marketing bad products as healthy just to keep the shareholders happy....it's a losing battle....as my budget is not as big as say General Mills Breakfast Cereal...."Super Sugar Os...now 0.001% whole wheat and has the heart healthy seal of approval!"....or Tropicana....where parents say "But my kid needs Vit C and Orange Juice is the only way to get it....see it says so right there on the box....."....great..your overweight kid is getting healthier on insulin spiking sugar water....but at least he will have enough Vit C not to get scurvy.....good call.

Steve Shafley
03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
True story:

A friend of mine had twin boys who were monsterous. In 3rd grade they were put on ADD meds. They improved dramatically.

In 8th grade, they started selling their ADD meds to other kids. Their mom found a $800 stash of cash in their bedroom.

Interestingly enough, there performance at school was just as high, despite selling the ADD meds (Ritalin IIRC).

After some debate, she took them off the meds, confiscated the money, and bought them both IPODs with it.

Jesse Woody
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
First, a nod to being lazy and relying on pills for weightloss instead of hard work...

Second, similar story to Steve, I was put on ritalin when I was 11, but got so jacked on even 1/2 of the smallest possible dose that I had to be taken off in 3 weeks (i.e. panic attacks, hyperactivity, insomnia) Years later, I hung out with a group of people who would buy ritalin from middle school kids, cook it and shoot it up. Compared to cocaine, it was the same high, but lasted 4-5 hours longer, and this was with a single, middle-range dose that they may give a 13 year old kid...

I'm sure there may be uses for the stuff in the right situation, but the fact that there are kindergarten kids being prescribed the stuff scares me significantly. To top it off with the drug being touted as a weight-loss supplement for kids is downright horrifying.

Pierre Auge
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I hope my kids are hyperactive, it will give me a reason to beat them into submission. Who needs ritalin when you have fists!!!

This is in jest I assure you!

Steve Shafley
03-23-2007, 05:51 AM
I assure you that the allure of beating a twelve-going-on-thirteen boy is hard to resist. Hoo boy.

Ron Nelson
03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Ha! None of you suckers has raised (I almost said "reared", whew!) a teenager, let alone two, like me. After a while, you realize corporeal punishment never works. They will get what they want simply through a war of attrition. They wear you down like water on a stone.

This is why I have found my escape in gambling and drinking. I feel they are beneficial stress relieving devices and recommend them to all.

In all seriousness, going to the gym really helps when you have teenagers. It's the one place they don't want to go. It gives me my "me time."

Dave Van Skike
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I habituated to the actual whipping early. The Fear of the whipping, now that is power.