PDA

View Full Version : Middle back/spinal erector pain

Rob Tenbarge
05-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I have been having a major issue with my back. I went to the chiro and have gotten four adjustments, but I wake up every day extremely stiff and sore. The only way I can train is by running hard and warming up a ton. I have been rolling icing stretching but that mid part of my back is not loosening up. It is affecting my training a lot. Just seeing if anyone had an idea about this. Thank you for any help.

Blake Barnes
05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I would suggest consulting with a physician and a physical therapist to see what the problem is and the steps you should take to help relieve that pain. The thing about adjustments is that it takes some time before you start to feel better.
In the meantime, continue to make sure your taking the extra time to warm-up.

Noah Taylor
05-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I've been dealing with a similar problem, except my pain has gradually worked it's way down to my lower back also. Turns out my problem was weak abs, my glutes weren't firing correctly, and my abductors were weak. By adding glute work like step ups, static abdominal work, abductor work with bands, and stretching of the glutes, hamstrings, hips and basically everything in my pelvis, i've managed to reduce pain. This may be helpful or not. Otherwise the physical therapist can work their magic. Good Luck!

Matt Edwards
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Seems like you're living in a pronounced pelvic tilt and have a tight "sticky" low/mid back?

If so, my suggestions would be the already mentioned glute and core work (specifically anti-extension exercises). And, try rockback breathing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08h0NCCYRj8
The emphasis is placed on breathing through your stomach and expanding your stomach and low back all 360 degrees. Deep breaths in and a FULL exhale out.

If you don't see almost immediate benefits, then I'd recommend going to a see a QUALIFIED physical therapist.

EDIT: I'd add in if it is an anterior pelvic tilt, the last thing you would ever want to do is stretch the hamstrings/glutes. These muscle groups are already on stretch 24/7/365 and would only feed into the problem potentially making it worse.