PDA

View Full Version : Double Day Squats and Heavy Weights

Chad Lammert
07-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm starting this thread to help keep me compliant with the Double Day Squats and Heavy Weights program, and also to get your feedback on my progress. I'm planning on posting every week so that I'm held to finishing out this program--so far its been challenging and rewarding at the same time.

A little background on me:

I've been weightlifting a year and a half
I don't have a coach
My best lifts are 192.5 SN, 235 CJ, 270 FS, 330 BS

First week:
Snatch (High/Low): 176/175
CJ (H/L): 225/220
FS (H/L): 270 (pr)/ 255
BS (H/L): 320/295

Technical issue:
I had my friend video me for a few lifts and one thing I'm seeing in my Snatch is that when I reach the power position (hips at bar), I'm not on my heels. Do you have any suggestions for helping me fix this issue while staying compliant with this program? All thoughts are appreciated.

Here's one of the videos:
CmVVThrjWKg

Thanks guys

Chad Lammert
07-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Alright, week 2 is over. Already I'm feeling the effects of going heavy everyday. This week I had to break two of the work outs into separate sessions (the wednesday workout and the saturday workout).

I'm getting diappointed in my BS performance and also, my SN and CJ are feeling more deflated. In response, I've increased the amount of food I'm eating everyday (namely protein) and I'm trying to get more sleep.

A few PR's this week:

Jerk BNK x2 = 215 (previous was 205)
High Hang Clean x2 = 195 (previous 185)
Both of these PR's can be attributed to not doing these lifts very much before this.

Week 2 numbers:
SN (high/low): 181.5/170
CJ (H/L): 215/210
BS (H/L): 315/305
FS (H/L): 270/245

Blake Barnes
07-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Your heels are just barely coming up before the 2nd pull but it's not significantly affecting the movement. I had to watch and pause it a couple times at that point to find it.

For a snatch warm-up, try doing some Heaving Snatches. You could also do a complex to try and correct that portion of the movement. For example, Halting Snatch DL + Heaving Hang Snatch.

You can see Alyssa doing the Heaving Hang Snatch at the beginning of this video:

http://youtu.be/xU6-RJobJPg

Chad Lammert
07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice. BTW, nice job this weekend.

And I know what you mean about the heels not coming off in this video. When there is more weight on the bar, it gets a lot more prominent.

Chad Lammert
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Week 3 was tough. Hamstrings and lower back felt pretty smoked, so I started using a weight belt during CJ and squats.

A few PRs this week:
FS: 271 on Monday, then 275 on Saturday
SN: on Monday I hit 155 (80%) for a drop set of five -- it wasnt programmed, but I just wanted to go for it after going for my heavy single
Hang Clean (knee)x2: 205, missed 210 three different times just barely

Highs/lows for the week
SN: 181.5/176
CJ: 225/220
BS: 325/305
FS: 275/255

Really looking forward to the rest of week 4 aka recovery week. Since my low back and hamstrings are in pretty bad shape, I've decided to forego the squat drop sets and good mornings until next week.

William Forth
08-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Nice work man

Keith Miller
08-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Chad, I was just curious how long your workouts have been taking while on this program?

Chad Lammert
08-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks William.

Keith, these workouts can get on the long side. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays are all over an hour.

Part of the reason is because I will work up to a heavy single in the lifts, drop and work back up again in an attempt to build consistency and push my max for the day--I don't know if that's what was intended in the programming.

Another part is that I DO sit down during workouts, and try to rest for my next heavy set when I feel I need to. I think this not only increases the time of my workouts, but it also helps me push my maximum weights for the day. On the other hand, I'm sure I'm losing some sort of conditioning aspect that would be gained by not sitting and resting a little less.

Keith Miller
08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks!! I appreciate it, and I've been enjoying seeing your journey on this program. :D

Chad Lammert
08-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Keith. I hope the journey brings some heavier numbers.

Chad Lammert
08-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I was really happy to see recovery week. Leading up to this week, my back has been sore and my hamstrings have been very tight. This week I dropped a lot of the accessory movements, including drop sets on the squats, and increased my attention to mobility. Going forward into next week, I'm going to spend 10-15 minutes each morning doing some lower body mobility movements and see how the rest of the week plays out.

A few PRs this week:
On Monday, after my heavy single, I went for 165-3 from the hang below the knee. I only did it because I was feeling good and someone in the gym had done it a little earlier--just wanted to see if I could. It was a PR.
On thursday, I hit a power snatch double PR at 150, and the clean/push press complex was a PR too at 165 (this was only because I have never done this complex before--automatic pr)

Highs/lows for the week:
Snatch: 181.5/170
CJ: 215/205 (I really hate to see the 215 and 205 here, and the 170 above)
FS: 255/255
BS: 315/0 (skipped BS on Saturday's workout--the other low was 305)

Looking forward to and a little anxious about next week. I'm not sure if I've been adapting to this program the way it has been intended, but I'll just keep showing up and doing what I can. In two weeks I'll be attending a cal strength seminar in Chicago and I'm hoping to learn a lot to bring back to the gym.

Blake Barnes
08-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you're doing a good job of dedicating yourself to the program. Stick with it and don't get discouraged when you're lifts are feeling extra heavy on certain days. Keep up the good work!

Chad Lammert
08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you're doing a good job of dedicating yourself to the program. Stick with it and don't get discouraged when you're lifts are feeling extra heavy on certain days. Keep up the good work!

Thanks man

Chad Lammert
08-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Good week, and a tough week. I started adding mobility movements in the morning, focusing on the high hamstrings and IT band--it really made a difference. This coming week, to battle the longer workouts, I'm going to do the squats in the am with the mobility. I understand this is not how the program is prescribed, but at least I'll be getting all the work in. Next weekend is the seminar with cal strength and I'm really looking forward to learning a lot that will benefit these workouts. Also, I'm loving the change of pace with the new movements introduced in week 5--its mentally refreshing.

PRs for the week:
Front Squat up to 280.5
Jerk at 225 from the rack (never hit that from the rack before even though my best CJ is 235)
Power Clean 205 for a double

Highs/lows for the week:
Snatch: 176/165 (this is really falling off)
CJ: 230/220 (happy to see 230 again)
FS: 280.5/260
BS: 315/315

Just want to also say, thanks for the feedback from you guys. Knowing that you're watching helps get me back in the gym on the days when I feel like not going. Thanks.

Blake Barnes
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Glad to know you're working in some mobility exercises, especially with all of the squats.

Let us know how breaking up the session is working for you.

James Hitch
09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I just started this program on Monday and I'm curious... Around what percentage do you find yourself backing off to for the RX'd reps after the HS? Does it vary by your energy levels or are you aiming to keep it within a certain area? I'm still in the transition week and notice that its programmed around the 70-80% range for now

Charlie Reynolds
09-17-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm starting this thread to help keep me compliant with the Double Day Squats and Heavy Weights program, and also to get your feedback on my progress. I'm planning on posting every week so that I'm held to finishing out this program--so far its been challenging and rewarding at the same time.

A little background on me:

I've been weightlifting a year and a half
I don't have a coach
My best lifts are 192.5 SN, 235 CJ, 270 FS, 330 BS

First week:
Snatch (High/Low): 176/175
CJ (H/L): 225/220
FS (H/L): 270 (pr)/ 255
BS (H/L): 320/295

Technical issue:
I had my friend video me for a few lifts and one thing I'm seeing in my Snatch is that when I reach the power position (hips at bar), I'm not on my heels. Do you have any suggestions for helping me fix this issue while staying compliant with this program? All thoughts are appreciated.

Here's one of the videos:
CmVVThrjWKg

Thanks guys

I think the bar is slightly away from you before you even lift it off the floor, consequently it is in front and ends up arcing/looping around (short pull) hence the back and forth/rocking in the catch (well held!)

get the bar slightly closer to the shins/in very light contact and keep your chest up/push it out and keep that position throughout the pull/catch