PDA

View Full Version : gymnastics and oly

Hunter Laing
09-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Hey all. I'm starting up this log because I had a scare recently that I would lose my excel file where I log my workouts when my computer crashed. Luckily I was able to retrieve the data, but I'm still gunna log online too as a back up.

Goals right now are a 135# snatch, 185# clean, 10 sec adv tuck front lever, and a 10 sec tuck planche, and a strict, slow muscle up on rings.

I started with the olympic lifts on May 14, 2013, with my max lifts at a 95# power snatch(I was unable to get into an ohs to catch the full lift) and a 125# clean and jerk.

This friday I hit 125# on the snatch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv04vfhu0uk) and 180# on the clean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWDf9S-Idw), and I'm working with 15 sec sets of tuck front levers and band assisted planches. I've been working these gymnastic progressions for 3 weeks so far, and I've been following the outlaw way to some degree for my oly lifting, a couple weeks behind, since the start of the hatch squat cycle. Before that I used the Catalyst Starter Program.

Sun 9-8-13

am - SASa1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Press HSs felt good, focusing on getting as much of my low back off the wall at the bottom of the rep while still maintaining good control. The tuck front lever holds also felt strong. I have been focusing on keeping my scaps depressed during the movement by trying to make my neck as long as possible, and today working on this turned some of the sets into almost a flat tuck position, so my 10 sec adv tuck front lever shouldn't be far off.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

The band assisted tuck planches felt strong today, staying focused on strong protraction, and keeping the neck long to help with depression. My hips have been getting a little high in these so it might be time to use a lighter band. Knees to elbows were kinda shit today, as by the ends of the sets I was pulling too much with my arms and back and ending in almost a front lever position, which isn't my goal with this movement.

C1. YTWLs - 5s x 1 x 5, 3s x 2 x 5

First time trying these. They were fun, got a nice burn in my upper back. Will keep these in the mix on straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Ring supports are finally getting easier with the rings turned out, focusing hard on having elbows completely extended on these. Bumped the reps up from 6 to 7 on the arch scap pulls, but I need to remember to keep my neck long and really force my head backwards.

B1. low straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang with pull out - 5 x 15 sec

I need a better place to do my low straddle L's so I can work on getting my hands facing forward instead of sideways, but other than that these felt fine, just need more compression flexibility. The german hangs felt good too, I'm finally started to feel my shoulders loosen up on these.

I was gunna do false grip hangs and some wall handstand holds but the workout was cut short by some family drama.

Hunter Laing
09-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Mon 9-9-13
bw3h7

am - BAS2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. false grip ring rows - 10 x 6
A2. PPPU - 10 x 6 / 30X1

Still focusing on scapular depression and retraction on the ring rows, but now throwing in some false grip so I can start working on the MU in my next cycle. I didn't really have the hang of the false grip until the last couple sets, and most reps weren't tempo-ed, so I'll stick with the same ring height in my next BAS workout. Really happy to finally hit all 10 sets of 6 in the PPPU. I think the next push I'll work in BAS will be piked HSPUs.

B1. seated db ext rot - 6.5# x 5 x 10 each arm / 4012

I had gone up to 7# on these last time, but I wasn't feeling as much of a burn in my shoulders which is what I'm really going for so I dropped down. I might even go back to 5# and work the reps super strict next time.

e.pm - OLY

joints
stick halos/dislocates
RBMs
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. 1RM 2 pos(low hang, hang above knee) snatch
75 x 2 x 1
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1 PR-worked up to this last time but failed the hang rep
110 x f
110 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLlVIVUHuuo)

I've been working on getting a closer stance ohs on my snatch catch, so it takes me a while to get the position warmed up. I also was cutting my pull short today until around 95#, but I was getting under the bar really quick. I missed the hang rep on my first attempt at 110# because I didn't stay on my heels and let the bar get too far in front of me; I still stood up with it, but I caught it in a power pos so I count it as a fail.

B1. 3 x 1 @ 90% of above
100 x 1
100 x f
100 x 2 x 1

Most of these reps felt fast and strong. I missed the low hang rep on my second attempt because I came onto my toes and let the bar get out front, but when I focused on staying back the next 2 sets were easy.

C1. ankle mobility

I've figured out that my ankles are keeping me from achieving the position I want in my snatch and clean catches so I've been mobbing the shit out of em lately.

pm - EQ1

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 15 sec
A2. bridge pushups x 10, 8, 6

The back body line drill is basically a hollow body hold, keeping the low back flat on the ground, while trying to keep the rest of the body as extended as possible, and I'm using the bridge pushups to open up my shoulders a little more.

B1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec
B2. straddle pike pulls - 3 x 10 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

The HS body line wall drills went really well today, I think I'm getting closer to finding the proper body position for a solid handstand. My wrists today were less than an inch from the wall on all three sets, my back was flat, my belly was sucked in, and the weight was distributed across my knuckles instead of the palm of my hand. I also noticed that trying to spread the floor with my hands helps the position feel more solid.

My straddle and pike flexibility is still crap.

C1. gatherings, piked x 10, 8, 6

Did the first set unbroken, fell on rep 6 of the second set, then made it through the third unbroken. These are fun.

Beasty Boy
09-09-2013, 01:27 PM
awesome!

Hunter Laing
09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks man, but those lifts are pounds, so not that awesome yet.

Hunter Laing
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Tue 9-10-13
bw3h7

e.pm - OLY

joints
stick halos
dyna flex
RBM
ankles
Am fem/bar

A1. 1RM: 2 clean pulls + 1 clean
95 x 2
115 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
160 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUcKAXva5E)

Probably had 165# at least on this, but I had forgotten how much doing pulls before the full lift tires out my legs and I wanted to save em for squats so I stopped with a 5# PR. Front squat position was also very comfortable today, and I was extremely focused on keeping my feet close with my knees out.

B1. 3x1 @ 90%
145 x 3 x 1

No problems here. All reps were quick and easy.

C1. HBBS
b x 10
95 x 5
135 x 3
160 x 5
180 x 5
190 x 3
205 x 2
225 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nccgYOA5GJA)

225 is the weight I projected as my max when starting the hatch program with outlaw, but I hadn't actually had that much weight(not that its a lot of weight) on the bar in a long time, and this single was fairly easy, with good form, so I'm happy with it.

D1. Front Squat
b x 5
95 x 3
120 x 5
140 x 4
150 x 4
160 x 4

These felt good today, even though on the second rep at 140# I got really lightheaded and dizzy, so I just stood there with the bar racked until I felt better, then finished the set. I think the bar was pressing into my throat too much.

E1. ankle mob

I think I'm starting to get to the point with my oly lifts where my legs are going to start holding me back more than my technique. Hopefully this hatch program pays off with some much bigger squat numbers so I can keep my lifts going up.

pm - EQ2

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A2. bridge pushups w/ 10 sec hold on last rep - 10, 8, 6

B2. straddle pike pulls - 3 x 10 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

C1. gatherings, piked, 10 sec hold on last rep - 10, 8, 6

Hunter Laing
09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Wed 9-11-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - SASa2

joints
wrists
scaps

A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Front levers felt really strong today. The first hold was basically an adv tuck position for the whole 15 sec. Still focusing on retracting scaps hard and lengthening my neck for depression.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec

Tuck planches went well today. I tried to focus on feeling my serratus working, and it worked for a couple sets, but I started to lose depression, so I need to remember to feel my SA while keeping my neck long. Knees to elbows felt better today too. I think the secret to them is to keep the upper back and shoulders active the whole time, because I was swinging less on the way down and not getting into as much of a FL position on the way up.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 3 x 5 ea

These are a really good cool down/prehab movement for my straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. ring support - 5 x 15 sec

Not much to say here, ring supports are getting stronger every time I do em, and I'm having to arch less and less on the scap pulls. I just need to remember to focus on hard retraction at the top, and I'm trying to externally rotate my arms a little at the top too because I can pull much harder in the arch scap hang with a neutral grip than with pronated one.

B1. bent knee straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang w/ pull out - 5 x 15 sec

Decided to try out bent knee straddle L's instead of straight leg straddle L's because I feel like the low straddle L isn't helping bring up my compression strength which, along with some pike flexibility, is what I really need to a true straddle L. Got deeper in the german hangs, and started lowering into them in an adv tuck back lever.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 3 x 5 ea

My shoulders and upper back feel awesome after these. Its incredible how much of a burn you can get with so little weight.

Hunter Laing
09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Thu 9-12-13
bw3h7
cort1

e.pm - OLY

joints
sticks
dyna flex
RBM
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (below knee) @ heavy trip
75 x 2 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
90 x 3
95 x 3
105 x 5 x 3 PR - 10#

Snatches felt awful today. They were all over the place. Some reps I wasn't getting my elbows high, some I wasn't extending completely, some I was getting under fast enough. My feet were all over the place too, sometimes to wide, sometimes too close. Despite hitting a 10# PR for my work sets, not a single rep felt good today.

B1. 5x2 clean off blocks (below knees) @ heavy dub

105 x 2
115 x 2
125 x 2
135 x 2
145 x 2
150 x 5 x 2 PR - 5#

Same basic shittiness with cleans today, although they were a lot better than the snatches. My landings were slightly more consistent, but my legs felt really tired.

C1. ankle mob
C2. shrimp - back knee only x 5 x 5 each leg

I like shrimps as part of my ankle mobility, because to get into the right positions the knee has to go a decent way over the toes, and I feel like it will lead to more ankle mobility while also developing strength in the new range of motion as opposed to unloaded static and dynamic stretches. it also makes my knees feel good.

pm - EQd

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 15 sec
A2. bridge pushups - x 10 w/ 10 sec pause on last rep

Back body line drill is getting better, I might bump it up to 20 sec next time. I don't think the bridge pushups are opening up my shoulders like I want them too, so next EQ workout I'm gunna try a weighted box shoulder stretch.

B1. HS body line wall drill - 1 x 30 sec
B2. straddle pike pull - 1 x 10 w/ 10 sec pause on last rep

HS body line is getting better up against the wall, and its getting easier to hold the hollow position upside down. I'm getting deeper in my pancake/straddle pike stretch, but I might have pushed it a little far because my left inside hamstring is a little sore. Hopefully it wont affect my lifts tomorrow.

C1. Gatherings, piked - 1 x 10 w/ 10 sec pause on last rep

Took a headstand too far forward and fell, but rolled out of it without injury. I might start doing these on a raised platform so I can stretch towards a pike more without my feet hitting the floor.

Hunter Laing
09-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Fri 9-13-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - BASd

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. false grip ground row - 6, 4+2, 1+3+2, 4+2
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 5 / 31X1

I need to go back to incline rows to train the false grip more, because I kept slipping out of it into a kind of bent-wrist grip. All the +'s in the reps for FG ground rows are where I had to regrip to finish the set. I also need to put more focus into depression and retraction during these reps. Ring dips felt good. Will continue to work these til I get 10x6, then start working on rto dips.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 2 x 10 each arm / 4020

These felt good. Got a good burn in my shoulders. I think I'll stick with 5# on these for a while because I got a better burn here than with 6.5# and 7#.

Also, thank god I've got more deload sessions coming up because my body has been feeling really beat up.

e.pm - OLY

joints
sticks
dynaflex/RBM
AM fem/bar

A1. Snatch 1RM
75 x 3
85 x 2
95 x 2
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
130 x f
130 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlyHxM69_xY)

Tried starting with a wider stance on my pull, and I think it made it a little easier, but I started jumping my feet out really wide, causing my knees to come in every time I stood up. I might try, over the next couple weeks, to work on starting wide and not moving my feet at all to keep my stance close. 125# flew up today, and I got under it really well. The first attempt at 130 was high enough but I lost it forward. The second attempt was pretty easy, but I didn't catch it all the way in the hole, although from the video it looks like I was below parallel.

Also, I definitely did something to my left inside hamstring, as it started to bother me around 115 on snatches.

B1. Clean 1RM
115 x 2
135 x 2
155 x 1
170 x 1

Called it at 170 because my hamstring was starting to bother me more and I wanted to save it for squats, so no clean PR today. Although, now I am 5# away from both my snatch and clean goals.

C1. HBBS
b x 10
95 x 5
135 x 3
160 x 4
170 x 4
180 x 4
190 x 4

All reps felt pretty easy, but by now my left knee was really bothering me, partly because of wide snatch catches and partially because of the hamstring, so I decided to skip front squats today too.

D1. ankle mob
D2. shrimp - back knee only x 5 x 5 each leg
D3. harop curl - 5 sec neg/hand assist x 5 x 5

I was hesitant to work the harop curl at first, but it actually made my hamstring feel better. Shrimps were easier today, and as always my knees felt good afterwards when they, and especially my left, had felt pretty sore earlier in the session.

Hunter Laing
09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Sat 9-14-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - SASad

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 2 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 2 x 15 sec

I couldn't really get into a groove today on the press HS for some reason, and my right wrist wasn't feeling great. Front levers felt really strong though, and I'm pretty confident I can call them adv tuck now, my back even started to unhollow a little on the first set as I tried to extend farther, but I made sure to fix it on the second set.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purp x 2 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 2 x 10

Tuck planches felt good today. My hips were a little high on the first set, but I fixed that with a little more forward lean on the second set. Protraction and depression were also both strong, although I might need to depress harder on my left side, and my neck stayed long. Knees to elbows were pretty easy. I did slightly tweak something in my middle back on the right side, but I dunno if it was from snatches and cleans yesterday, or from something today, but I only started feeling it after I was done with B1 and B2.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 1 x 5 ea

Felt good, except for where my back was tweaked.

e.pm - SASbd

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. rto support - 2 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 2 x 7

Both of these felt strong today. On the ring dips, I've been trying to push my chest out more so I'm less hunched over, and the position feels much stronger. I'm also working on not having my arms touch my sides while in the support. The arch scap pulls felt good today, especially in the first couple reps of each set, where I was basically pulling into a half lay front lever for half a second, and I was controlling them better on the way down.

B1. bent straddle L - 2 x 15 sec
B2. german hang w/ pull out - 2 x 15 sec

I did the straddle L's on pushup handles today, because my wrists have been feeling beat up. I might work them like this for a while so I'm not stressing my wrists a lot in every workout I do. German hangs felt fine. I started lowering into them through an adv tuck BL, and hit a half lay BL for a second on the first set. I also lowered myself to hang through an adv tuck FL after pulling back to an inverted hang. Luckily my back tweak didn't affect any of the exercises I did in this session.

C1. YTWL's - 1 x 5

Hunter Laing
09-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Mon 9-16-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - BAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

My wrists have been sore near the palm of my hand, and I'm pretty sure its from starting to train the false grip, but its been making it hard to get into positions supporting my weight on my hands, so today I just did the stretch portion of my wrist routine, and I did the conditioning exercises afterwards. I'm gunna try this method for all upper body sessions for a while and see if I like it better.

A1. false grip incline rows - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5

False grip held up better today, although I did have to regrip for the last couple of sets. I also need to focus more on retraction and depression, as well as pulling with my lats and not my arms, because I started to kind of curl myself to the rings instead of row myself. Ring dips felt good, I was surprised I made it through so many sets of 6, but I was having a hard time locking my elbows out completely at the end of some of the later sets.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

I'm still not sure if I'm doing this movement right, but I've been trying to focus on pulling the dumbbell up with just my rear delt, and I think it was working a little better.

C1. wrist conditioning

e.pm - OLY

joints
sticks
dynaflex
bastardized agile 8
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. hi hang snatch - work to non max heavy single
75 x 2 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1

These were pretty easy, but my right shoulder was feeling a lil dodgy. I think I need to work on my overhead position with the snatches; I need to try to retract my scaps more and point my elbows more backwards than down, while also catching the bar with bent wrists. All the lower body mobilization I did to warm up made the bottom position of the ohs much easier to hit, although I still wasn't getting my knees out like I want.

B1. knee series

I figured that I do a series for scaps, shoulders, and wrists, so why not one for knees. This time I did inside squats for 5 reps, cross leg squats for 3 reps each way, assisting myself off the floor with my arms, and twisting squats for 10 alternating reps. I figured with this being a deload week for all my lower body lifting that it would be a good time to see how my body reacts to some knee work.

C1. pistol switches - 25# x 5 x 5 sec each side

I'm gunna work these for more knee ankle stability as well as more ankle motion, because I'd like to work up to pistols with no weight to counterbalance as a display of ankle flexibility.

Hunter Laing
09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Tue 9-17-13
bw4h8
cort2

e.pm - OLY

joints/dynaflex
squat mob
AM fem/bar

A1. hi hang clean - non max heavy single
95 x 2 x 3
115 x 2 x 3
125 x 2
135 x 1
145 x 2 x 1
155 x 1

These felt good today, very easy. Today I noticed that sometimes, even if my right foot lands on the heel, my left foot lands on the toe to make up for some ankle mobility differences, and I think that might be a reason for some of the knee pain I get in my left leg and not my right. The squat mobility work I've been doing, which includes rolling IT bands, adductors, and glutes, then v rolls, fire hydrants, and some MWod stuff, really helped today. I also starting looking up a little higher than usual, and I think it resulted in a slightly more upright posture in the hole; I will experiment more with this.

B1. ankle mob - roll calves and feet, ankle rocks
B2. shrimps - back knee only x 2 x 5 each leg
B3. harop curl - hand assisted x 2 x 5
B4. pistol switches - 20# x 1 x 5 sec each, 20# x 1 x 10 sec each

I'm really liking the combination of some "strength" movements with my ankle mobility, because I feel like it opens up new ranges of motion that I am then immediately able to use, and hopefully that will lead to lasting gains and the ability to do these one-leg moves well so I can move on to some more advanced LGPs. Also I feel like I'm getting closer to a full harop curl from parallel.

C1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. weighted bench shoulder stretch - 20# x 3 x 30 sec

Body line drill felt good today, 20 sec was pretty easy. I also started to look at my hands during the hold to get the same feeling of being in a handstand. Shoulder stretches felt good, and I think helped me open up my shoulders more for my work against the wall than the bridge pushups did.

B2. half straddle downs - 1 x 6 / sit in straddle - 2 x 30 sec

HS body line drills felt good, line looked decent, and I practiced the cambered hand technique for the first time, which felt very solid. I had intended on doing 3x10 half straddle downs, but I felt some tenderness in my left hamstring/adductor from last week and decided not to push it, so I just sat in a straddle with as upright posture as I could. Also, my whole lower body is already sore from the intense stretching I've been doing before and after my OLY sessions.

C1. gatherings - piked x 10, 8, 6 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

Got all sets of gatherings unbroken today. Might repeat this next EQ session, and then add more reps or another set.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders

Forgot to do these in the warmup, although I might like them better as a cool down.

Hunter Laing
09-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Wed 9-18-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Wrists felt better today during press HS's, I'm not really sure what was up last week but they're all good now. I'm pretty confident I can call my front lever holds today adv tuck, because my knees were on the other side of the pullup bar, creating about a 90* angle at my hips. I was focusing really hard on flexing my abs to stay hollow, and on trying to rip the bar apart, but next time I need to focus on keeping my neck long to make sure I'm getting the depression I need.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purp x 5 x 15 sec

Tuck planches felt good, focused on long neck and looking forward for depression, hard protraction, and squeezing the floor together with my hands. I think I might need to drop the purple band next time because my hips are still higher than my shoulders.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

These always make my shoulders feel great.

D1. wrist conditioning

I've been having a weird sensation in my left knee today. It feels like a tendon or ligament is pulling on a bone, but only in a certain position. The best way I can describe this position is like a standing quad/hip stretch with the upper leg perpendicular to the floor and the lower leg folded up behind it, however it only hurts if I use my leg muscles to reach the position, and not if I pull my lower leg up with my arms. I'm wondering now whether it was the knee series on monday, the ankle/shrimp/pistol work yesterday, or the straddle work yesterday that did it, but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

_________

pm - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 20 sec

Supports went pretty well today, but started getting shaky at the end. Elbows were locked out hard though, and I'm started to get a little bit of retraction going on. The first couple reps of each set of scap pulls felt really strong, but the later reps...not so much. I also noticed some swinging which I tried to control in later sets.

B1. bent straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hand w/ pull out - 5 x 15 sec

Bent straddle Ls still suck. German hangs are getting deeper and easier to pull out of; I am now putting my feet flat on the floor at the bottom of the hang, although I'm not letting them hold any weight. I also started actively retracting during the hang and found it allows me to get deeper.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Thu 9-19-13
bw4h8
cort2

e.pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
ankles
stick series
AM fem

A1. heavy non-max snatch balance
fem x 5 x 5
b x 3 x 5
75 x 3 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 2 x 2
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1
110 x 2 x 1
115 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFrETitluE)

These showed me a lot of these that I feel I need to fix on my snatches. First, on the catch of my snatch, I need to turn my wrists over more and catch the bar more in the palm of my hand. I put it more in the palm of my hand on these today and it made the overhead position much more stable, as well as put the bar slightly farther backward which led to a better ohs position. I also realized that, while looking up on front squats and cleans leads to a better position, looking up during my snatches does not, so I will continue to look straight forward. I also need to work on my speed under the bar on these because I should be able to snatch balance more than my snatch, right?

Also, I did so many warm up sets because I was waiting for the platform and rack to open up, since my gym only as one...

B1. ankle mob
B2. pistol switchs - 20# x 2 x 10 sec each leg

C1. knee series

This time I was able to do the cross-leg squats without hand assistance, but I did have to rock a little to start the movement, and I need a little more control on the negatives.

D1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
sticks

A2. weighted shoulder opener - 15# x 3 x 30 sec

I stumbled onto this (http://www.fedec.eu/datas/files/m6(uk).pdf) today while googling handstand stuff, and put some of their drills in place today. The first was that, during the back body line drill, you keep the backs of your hands pressed firmly into the ground. This made a hollow position much harder to hold, which is why I went back down in time for each rep.

B2. half straddle downs - 3 x 6

Used another variation from the handbalancing thing I found today, where, in the HS body line wall drill, you put your forehead against the wall. I think this actually messed up my body line, but that might be because my shoulders are still a little tight and once they open up more it will improve. Also, on the straddle downs, I was only a couple inches from touching my butt to the ground on a couple reps, so hopefully soon I'll be doing full straddle ups.

C1. gatherings - piked x 10, 8, 6 w. 10 sec hold on last rep

These were frustrating today, as I tried to make my headstand body line resemble my handstand body line, but this resulting in a droopy, slightly piked at the hip position, and I lost balance out of it a couple times on the first set. I did the second and third sets like normal, but this is something I will have to play wiht

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders

Hunter Laing
09-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Fri 9-20-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - BAS2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip ground rows - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

Huge breakthrough on false grip rows today. For the first two sets, I reset my grip every rep to try and get the strongest false grip hold I could, but I was still slipping some, so I decided to try chalking my hands. The next 8 sets were done without a single regrip, which allowed me to focus a lot more on retraction and depression and on pulling with my lats. I also made sure to pull my chest to the rings on every rep and focused on keeping my elbows as close as possible.

Numbers dropped by 1 in the ring dips, for two reasons I think: 1) I did a more advance row, requiring more strength from my back which made my whole body slightly more fatigued, and 2) I started checking my depth by making sure I touched my bicep to the rings in the bottom part of every rep.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

On these today, I focused on actually rotating my shoulder, which started pumping up some of the middle parts of my back. I'll need to do some research to see where I should actually be feeling this movement because I'm still not sure.

C1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
sticks
AM fem/bar

A1. snatch 1rm
75 x 2 x 3
85 x 2 x 2
95 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
120 x 1
125 x f
125 x 1
130 x f
130 x 1 form PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WurZoxesHLE)
135 x f
135 x 1 PR MOTHERFUCKERS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9-dX-8DdM)

Super pumped that I hit 135# today, especially seeing as I had set it as a goal for 4 weeks from now at the end of the hatch cycle. It still needs some work, though. I didn't catch it as low as I'd like to, and I didn't have enough control over it to lower into a full ohs but still, I'm pretty happy to have hit this weight. In the video you can see me about to yell with excitement but then I notice the gym owner, who hates loud noises in his gym, watching me so I try to play it off, haha.

Some things about the snatch today: I tried squeezing my upper back at the start of the snatch, and it felt like it made my overhead position in the catch much stronger. I need to work on getting my elbow high and outside when shrugged though, because I forgot to do that a lot, resulting in all my misses today, which were all forward. I also need to work on hitting the deep squat as fast as possible, instead of catching a little high and then riding it down, because lately all my max attempts have been caught a little high and not under enough control to ride down.

B1. clean 1rm
95 x 2
115 x 2
135 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
185 x f

Cleans felt a little off today. I tried starting with a tight upper back like in the snatches, but it kinda threw me out of my groove a little. Still, 175 was pretty easy, and I got under it quick. 185 was easily high enough, but I didnt pull under it fast enough, caught it too forward on my shoulders, and had to dump it. After dropping 3 snatches today, I was already under the watchful eye of the gym owner, and as soon as I dumped 185 he came running to yell at me for making too much noise. I decided to call it quits at this point because I didn't want to get kicked out until I find a better gym that allows dropping.

Also, one thing I need to work on for my cleans is reaching full hip extension before pulling under. I'm not yet sure why I don't do this, but I'm going to start paying more attention to it.

C1. ankle mob
C2. shrimps - back leg only x 2 x 5 each leg
C3. harop curl - hand assisted x 2 x 5
C4. pistol switches - 20# x 2 x 10 sec each leg

D1. super squat hip sequence

Hunter Laing
09-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Sat 9-21-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - SASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half tuck press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Wall press HS's felt fine today, and my wrists didn't feel that strained which is good. One thing I need to remember to do during these is to keep my elbow pits(?) pointed forward; this lessens the strain on my wrists. Front levers were fine, but not great. I think I'm trying to extend my hips too much for my current lever of strength, because today they were a little higher than parallel. Next time I do these, I need to focus on maintaining a strong hollow position, and then slowly uncurl my legs from the hips only, instead of letting my low back arch, while also remembering to retract hard and keep my neck long.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red x 5 x 15 sec

Moved on to just the red band for tuck planches today, and I think I got my first real taste of what a tuck planche feels like. The first two sets felt the best; my hips were finally level with my shoulders, I was having to push away with my entire shoulder girdle while squeezing the floor together between my hands and keeping my neck long, and I had to tuck really hard, which is a first for me. The third and fourth sets were a little iffy, I think I wasn't tucking hard enough, and the fifth set I tried squeezing my chest during the movement as well, which resulted in higher hips than the first 2 sets. I'm not sure if this means it was a stronger position or if it just took me out of the position I really wanted to be in, so I will continue to experiment.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

Makes my upper back feel so good, and it was sore this morning after my snatch PR yesterday.

D1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Ring supports felt really strong today, except for a weird feeling in my lift shoulder that I only got right when pressing to support. I think it might just be sore from ring dips and snatches yesterday. Arch scap pulls felt a little off, so I just did my best to focus on hard retraction and depression while keeping my arms slightly externally rotated.

B1. bent straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. pronated german hang - 5 x 20 sec

I haven't made much, if any, progress on the straddle L's throughout this cycle, and I'm pretty sure its a compression/flexibility issue. I'm not too worried though because the only reason I want a straddle L is for a stalder press and thats a long way off. The first set of german hangs I did today were on the rings, but I didn't like how it felt so I went back to the straight bar, pronated grip, and things felt much better.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
09-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Sun 9-22-13
bw4h8
cort2

Today's a rest day. I just spent around 30 minutes on the foam roller, working over my whole body, but giving more attention to my upper back and t spine, which has been sore and tight since friday. I'm feeling much better now, and I'm about to pig out on some chinese food as my cheat meal/carb up for the week.

reminder to future me: Chinese food makes you feel like shit...make better carb up choices next time

Hunter Laing
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Mon 9-23-13
Bw5h9
Cort3

am - BASd

Joints
Wrist stretches
Scaps

A1. False grip body rows / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6,
A2. Ring dips / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6

Moved my feet up onto a box that is about he same height as the rings, and added tempo to Hou movements today, which made them both harder. On the rows, my false grip held pretty strong until the last couple reps of the last set when my left hand started slipping a little. Dips were also harder today than they were last BAS session, but again I'm attributing that to advancing on my pull movement. I might be spending a couple sessions on these body rows to get 10x6, but hopefully I'll reach it in the next two weeks so I can start working fg pull-ups at the start of my muscle up cycle.

B1. Seated db ext rot - 5# x 2 x 10

These were meh today. I think it might be time to increase weight

C1. Wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
ankles
AM fem/bar
lots of sn balances and ohs

A1. work to arm hang snatch (above knees)
75 x 2 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
95 x 3
100 x 2+f
100 x 3
105 x 2+f
105 x 3 PR-5#

Today was a pretty shitty workout, despite the PR. After warming up, I had to wait probably 30 or 40 minutes for some guy doing box squats on the platform. He did work up to 495# for 5, so I couldn't be too pissed, but he was waiting like 10 minutes between every set, so I just did a bunch of snatch drops and ohs's until he was done. My form on these snatches was shit because, while I was waiting for the platform, my phone died so I had no video to analyze my form after each set, resulting in pretty inconsistent form from set to set and even from rep to rep.

I guess I'm just feeling shitty about today because I feel like, if I had gotten to the gym at my regular time and didn't have to wait fucking 45 minutes after I warmed up to actually start lifting and had my camera so I could correct my faults, I could have crushed 105 and had 110 or maybe 115, because some reps were just flying up, only to have the next rep in the set swing out way forward.

B1. 3x3 hang snatch (above knee) @ 90%
95 x 3 x 3

These were meh...not great but not terrible.

C1. 4x5 hi hang snatch hi pull @ 85% of max snatch
115 x 4 x 5

Strapped up for these. Was also pretty inconsistent on these too, as some reps were flying up to my chin and others I had to dip to get to my chest. I don't really know what was up today but it sucked.

D1. ankle mob
D2. pistol switch - 15# x 3 x 10 sec each leg

Left leg felt stronger than right leg on these today, which is different. Also I need to not forget to do ankle rocks in the ankle mob next time.

E1. knee series

F1. super squat hip sequence

Hunter Laing
09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Tue 9-24-13
bw5h9
cort3

e.pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM fem/bar

During the AM warmup today, I focused on keeping my low back as tight as possible in the bottom of the ohs and it made it feel so much better. I think I've been letting my low back go soft for a while now, so this is something I will be focusing on for the foreseeable future.

A1. 2RM hang clean (above knees)
95 x 2 x 3
115 x 2
135 x 2
145 x 2
155 x 2
165 x 2
170 x 2 PR-5# (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9zNBioRioM)

These felt pretty good today, especially considering how shitty I felt lifting yesterday. I may have had 175 on this today, but I didn't wanna push it too hard. I also started experimenting with a knees-in squat (first read about it here (http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=16028)) that the Chinese supposedly use to recruit more quad into their squats and to keep the torso more upright, and I like it. I need to learn a little more control when bringing my knees in, because some reps I feel like they came in too far, but overall I think this is something very promising that I will continue to experiment with.

B1. 3x2 hang clean (above knee) @ 95%
160 x 3 x 2

Felt good here. The bar started getting out in front of me on some reps, so I focused more on using my lats to keep the bar close and it worked pretty well. One rep even pulled to far back, but I still caught it and made the lift.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
180 x 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWHQ2pR2tVI)

I experimented with the "chuanfu squat" on these too, and it made them much easier. I need more control over how far I bring my knees in and I need to be more consistent with it, but so far I really like this way of squatting. I also didn't get any of the tweaked feeling in my left knee that I usually get when trying to keep my knees out.

D1. Front squat
b x 5
115 x 5
125 x 3 x 5

Used the "chuanfu squat" on these too, and it really made a difference in how upright I could remain coming out of the hole.

E1. ankle mob
E2. shrimp - back knee only x 3 x 5 each leg
E3. harop curl - 3 x 5
E4. pistol switch - 15# x 3 x 10 sec + 1 concentric rep each leg

I really like this combination for working on knee stability, vmo, and ankle mobility. Also, its official that the only thing holding me back from pistols is ankle mobility, because today, after my 10 sec hold with my left leg, I did a concentric pistol out of the bottom with ease, then I did the same with my right leg. I'll keep working these, and maybe add eccentrics into the mix as well.

F1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQd

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
stick stuff

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A2. weighted shoulder stretch - 1 x 30 sec

B1. HS body line wall drill - 1 x 30 sec
B2. half straddle down - 1 x 6 + 1 ecc.

I think I might need to move my hands a little away from the wall, because the position I'm in has my shoulders slightly closed because my chest is against the wall. I'll try farther hand placement on thursday.

C1. elbow lever hold - 1 x 15 sec

I havent done these in a long time, but for now I think I'll work towards the OAEL instead of playing around with gatherings until I get my body line better.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders

This was a nice little deload session.

Hunter Laing
09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Wed 9-25-13
bw5h9
cort3

am - SASad

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half tuck press HS - 2 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 2 x 15 sec

Wrists felt a little sore during the press HS's, but I may have had them too far from the wall on the first set as the second set didn't strain them as much. The first front lever hold felt very strong. I was focused on long neck, retraction, and keeping hollow, and I felt my lats working more than I have in any other FL hold I've done. I tried to replicate this feeling on the second set, but I think I focused too hard on the hollow and didn't keep my neck long enough, resulting in a not so great second hold.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 2 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 2 x 10

The first set of tuck planches felt very strong. I had good protraction and depression, and my hips were level with my shoulders the whole time. I could have tucked a little harder though. The second set, I tried turning my hands slightly out to put less strain on my wrists, and the hold felt good, but I only held it for maybe 10 sec. I think this is for two reasons: 1) I didn't have the tension in my wrists to help me lean farther over my hands, and 2) I didn't really tuck at all which just makes it harder. I think that remembering to tuck really hard will be the most important thing for me when training up to the tuck planche, because I need tension throughout my body and not just in my shoulder girdle.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 1 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

pm - SASbd

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 2 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 2 x 7

Rings supports went well, there was no more pain or clicking in my left shoulder. Arch scap pulls went well too. I started using my feet on the ground to stop any swinging between reps, which I think will, over time, give me more control over the movement and lead to a stronger front lever position.

B1. german hang w/ pull out - 2 x 20 sec

Lowered into these through adv tuck back lever. Also decided to skip the straddle L's as I haven't really gotten anything out of practicing them these past 5 weeks. I think next SASb session that I might either do more sets of ring supports, or maybe some planche leans or protracted plank holds.

C1. YTWL's - 3# x 1 x 5

Hunter Laing
09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Thu 9-26-13
bw5h9
cort3

e.pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
AM bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (above knee) @ heavy trip -s-
75 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
95 x 3
105 x 5 x 3 PR - 5# (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZJLtFwHds)

These felt really good today for the most part. I focused on using my lats to pull the bar into my hips, and the bar was just flying up on every rep. I also focused on keeping a really tight low back in the bottom of the ohs.

I used my new Broz straps for these today, which I really like now that I'm used to them. I feel like they saved a lot of my grip for my cleans today.

B1. 5x3 clean off blocks (above knee) @ heavy trip
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 3
150 x 5 x 3 PR-5# (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFaJNIH1BrA)

These also felt really good today. Again, I focused on using my lats to pull the bar into my hip. I also tried to do the chinese "quad pop", but on a couple of reps this sent the bar too high and caused it to crash on me. I feel like if I could get more consistent with it I could be pulling my lifts a lot higher.

C1. ankle mob
C2. pistol w/ 10 sec hold in bottom - 15# x 3 x 1 each leg

Started throwing in some full pistols today, with a slow eccentric, 10 sec hold in the bottom, and then a concentric rep. Right leg felt really strong. Left leg was slacking on the eccentric part a little bit, and I rolled onto my butt during the second and third sets.

D1. knee series

E1. super squat hip sequence

pm - EQ

joints
wrist stretches
straddle

A2. weighted shoulder plank - 3 x 30 sec

Today I moved my knees back much farther on the weighted shoulder stretch and turned it into a plank type exercise where I tried to keep my abs tight and keep my lower back flat while sinking my head as deep between my shoulders as I could.

B2. half straddle downs - 3 x 6

C1. elbow lever hold - 3 x 15 sec

Getting some cramping in my traps during these.

D1. shoulders

E1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
09-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Fri 9-27-13
bw5h9
cort3

am - BAS

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip ring rows / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5
A2. ring dips / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5

Ring rows felt good today, and false grip felt really strong. On the last 3 sets, where I hit 5 reps, I was doing the 6th rep but wasn't able to pull the rings to my chest so I didn't count the reps. Ring dips felt good today too, and I started trying to keep the rings more parallel instead of letting them turn in a little at the bottom. Also, on the 5 rep sets, I did the eccentric part of each rep.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4121 - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

Felt these in my middle back today, and a little in my lat underneath my shoulder, and in my shoulders a little in the later sets.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. snatch 1RM
75 x 2 x 2
85 x 2 x 1
95 x 2 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
135 x 1

Snatches felt awesome today. I focused a lot on using my lats to pull the bar to my hips, and it makes the bar shoot up. I was also super happy that I made 135 on the first attempt, even though it was really ugly. I caught it well on my left foot but landed on my toes on my right foot, which made my hips do all sorts of wonky shit, but I still stood up with it and I'm starting to gain more confidence with the weight where before I was getting freaked out a little by it.

B1. clean 1RM
135 x 2 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
180 x 1
185 x 1 PR! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZz0lfwfh0)

Cleans felt great today too. Again, I focused on suing my lats to bring the bar to my hips, but on the 185 clean I also just focused on exploding as hard as I could, and ended up catching the bar much higher than I needed to and riding it down. I really need to get my squat strength up because I feel like I could pull a lot more weight high enough on cleans but I would struggle to stand up with it.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
145 x 2 x 5
170 x 3 x 5

I used the chuanfu thing here, and I really like it. I need to watch how far in I let my knees go though, because on the first set at 170# my left knee came in a little too much and kinda felt tweaked, but it felt fine on the rest of the sets because I was more careful.

D1. ankle mob

Had to cut it short today because I'm heading down to Richmond to hang out with some friends from high school.

Hunter Laing
09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Mon 9-30-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip chins (chest to ring) / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 2*, 2*, 2, 2, 2, 2
A2. rto dips / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2

*missed chest on third rep

False grip chins today were a fun change of pace from body rows, and I was better at them than I thought I was going to be. The setup I have in my basement isnt great for them, because I hang my rings from a doorway pullup bar and I have to kneel to reach full extension in my arms at the hang, and the straps are so short that it makes it hard to pull the rings together in front of my chest. I need to remember to focus on hard retraction and depression at the start of every rep, and I need to focus on pulling with my lats, because when I did this my reps felt a lot stronger and getting my chest to touch the rings was a lot easier

For the rto dips, I am working towards doing them without my forearms resting against the rings. I'm not sure how to do this yet, but I worked today on getting them off the rings at the bottom of the rep and trying to press back up without them touching, although they inevitably would.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 4 x 10 each arm

Still trying to figure out how to feel this in the back of my shoulders, as today I felt them in my lats right under the arm and in my middle back. I also tried turning the dumbbell downward, like pouring out a pitcher, and this made me feel it more in my mid back, but still nothing in my rear delts.

C1. wrist conditioning

Notes: I have moved on from the basic bodyweight accumulation phase that I have been in for the past 5 weeks, but my upper body workout were starting to get a little stale, so I decided its time to go into an intensification phase. This particular phase will be base on getting my first strict muscle up.

There will be two different BAS sessions, one focused on strength in false grip chins and ring dips (today) and the other focused on the muscle up transition. My SAS sessions will now be focused on maintaining the little strength that I have built up in the tuck planche and tuck front lever, as well as maintaining my german hang position.

________

pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar x 2

A1. 1RM 3 pos (floor, hang, hip) snatch
75 x 2 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1 PR tie
110 x f
110 x 1 no PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0wV8Uh2hZI)
110 x 2 x f

Snatches were feeling off today even during the warm up, but I was feeling so good on them on Friday that I still thought I could make a PR. I tied my PR at 105 fairly easily, but the jump to 110 proved too much, and I started getting in my own head about it. I failed the first attempt at 110 on the rep from the hips, and lost it forward because I didn't get under it fast enough. The second attempt I made, but the hip rep was really ugly, and I caught it on my toes of my right foot again like I did with 135 on Friday, and since it was so ugly I'm not counting it as an actual make or a PR. The third set at 110 I was all in my head and caught the rep from the floor in a position where I could ohs it, so I restarted the set, which is then failed on the hang rep after I went to my toes on my right foot again. I need to pay a lot of attention to this so it doesn't become a reoccurring pattern during my lifts. Fuck.

B1. 3x1 3 pos(floor, hang, hip) snatch @ 90%
95 x 3 x 1

These felt better than I thought they would have after I was having so much trouble at 110. I started pulling slower off the ground to get into a better position, and I widened up my stance on the pull and the catch, which seemed to help with positioning a little. After having such a shit day on snatches, the last set at these felt good, especially the rep from the hip i which I pulled under really well. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snVOjz_Igtw) is how I need to pull under all the time.

After looking at all the videos after leaving the gym, it was clear to me that I was having trouble on almost all reps because I wasn't getting my elbows high and outside, and was actually keeping them straight, causing the bar to loop around which is why most of my reps were caught forward and had to be muscled into the right position. On the only rep today that felt really strong, on my last set at 95#, I think I got my elbows up which is why I got under the bar so well.

C1. 4x5 round back snatch grip DLs + 5 snatch hi pulls
95 x 4 x 5+5

These were rough on both my lower back and my legs, but overall I guess it was a fun change of pace. The round back deadliest actually felt really good, and I focused on curling and uncurling my spine to try and feel my erectors working. On the snatch hi pulls, i focused on getting my elbows up and out, and on squeezing my upper back at the top of the pull. I will try doing this on my snatches off blocks on thursday and see if it make my receiving position more stable overhead.

D1. ankle mob
D2. pistol w/ 10 sec hold in bottom - 15# x 3 x 1 each leg

I think the lack of intense ankle mob on friday may have held me back a little today on my snatches, and I was glad to get back to it today, although both legs felt kinda weak on the eccentric portion.

Hunter Laing
10-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Tue 10-1-13
MUi1h10
cort4

e.pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 1RM 3 pos (floor, hang, hip) clean
95 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
150 x 1
155 x 1
160 x 1 PR - 5# (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjRv3BRWg74)

These felt pretty good today. I started out my reps focusing on using my lats to pull the bar to my hips, and this was working well for most reps, especially the hip reps which I felt like I was getting under really well. The only problem on these today was that I was landing on my toes a little, especially on reps from the hip, and I think this is probably an ankle mobility issue because I need my knees slightly more forward than I can get them while still on my heels to catch it after a quick pull under. On the rep from the hip at 160, I brought my left knee slightly too far in and felt a little tweak.

B1. 3x1 @ 90%
145 x f

Skipped the other two sets at 145 after failing the rep from the hip on the first set. I failed because I didn't get under it fast enough because I was focusing hard on landing on my heels so I didn't tweak my knee again. I decided to skip and save my knees for squats.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
160 x 3
180 x 2
200 x 2
215 x 1

This was by far the easiest squatting has felt in a while. The "chuanfu" method of squatting is finally starting to click I think; instead of thinking "knees in" I've starting thinking about initiating standing up from my hip flexors, while attempting to squeeze my balls with my abductors/adductors (i dunno...the ones on the inside). This causes my knees to go in slightly and then come back out as I stand up, but I wasn't feeling nearly as much strain on my left knee as when I was thinking about actually bringing my knees in, and I stood up just as easily if not more so.

D1. Front Squat

b x 5
95 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 4
150 x 4
160 x 4

By this point in the workout my left knee was pretty sore, but I still tried to focus on initiating the concentric portion with my hip flexors.

E1. ankle mob
E2. shrimp - back knee only x 3 x 5 each leg
E3. harop curl - 3 x 5
E4. pistol switch - 3 x 10 sec each leg

Back into the old ankle mobility/knee stability routine, and it felt pretty good. Harop curls are getting stronger, and I am able to do almost a full 5 sec negative of every rep of the sets, which is some improvement. I decided not to do any eccentric/concentric pistol reps today; instead I'll build back up to it over the next few weeks. I tried the next level shrimp on my left leg today, using my right arm to reach back and grab my right leg, but I am still not mobile enough in my left ankle to do it. I could probably do it with my right leg, but I'll hold off until I can do it on my left first.

F1. super squat hip mob

_______

pm - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-fast

A2. weighted shoulder plank - 15# x 3 x 20 sec

Tried out something slightly different today on the back body line drill, and didn't go into a full hollow position. Instead, I left my head against the floor while trying to make my back as flat as possible, and also pressing the back of my hands into the floor as before. I think it helped me achieve a better line in the later sets of HS work.

B1. HS body line wall drill with toe touches - 3 x 10

So this was the basic HS body line wall drill, focusing on stacking everything over the shoulders in as straight a line as possible, but with a slight change. I moved my wrists slightly out from the wall, then made my feet flat instead of pointed to line everything up over my hands. Then I would straighten one foot, slowly pull the other off the wall until I was in a freestanding HS and try to hold it as long as possible, which wasn't very long today. I found that, basically as soon as I pressed through my fingers my legs were back on the wall.

C1. HS heel pulls - 3 x 5

These are similar to the previous HS drill, except that these are back to wall. The main goal here is to get the feel of rebalancing with the palms, as well as building more strength to push through the fingers. I had a surprisingly good number of solid holds longer than 5 seconds on these today, which is a lot more than I expected to get. On most reps my feet were a little toward the back of my head, but I was still in a very straight line so I'm ok with it for now.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders-slow

Also, I think I may have pushed my left knee a little too hard today, as it was getting sore during this EQ session from just coming out of handstands and landing on my left leg first. I will probably do some SMR type stuff on it tonight, and maybe some Cali Strength knee stretches and see how it feels tomorrow which is, luckily, not an OLY day.

Hunter Laing
10-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Wed 10-2-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - SAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 10 x 7 sec
A2. pull to tuck front lever hold - 10 x 7 sec

Worked on some different hand positions for the tuck planche today. The first set I did was on dbs using them like parallettes, but I didn't feel like I was getting good extension through my scape. Then I took it to palms flat on the ground and tried out some different angles. I found that the angle that felt strongest was actually having my hands very slightly (like a couple of degrees) turned in. I feel like it let my put more weight through my palm and I wasn't tweaking my wrist as much toward my thumb and pointer finger.

I started pulling into the tuck front lever holds today, which made them harder than lowering into them which is what I did during the last 5 weeks. The sets started out in more of an adv tuck position, but later sets were closer to a regular tuck. On these I focused on retraction and depressing really hard before pulling up, as well as trying to externally rotate my arms slightly. Some reps I pulled into a great position and some others it took a little playing around to get into a good retracted, long necked position.

B1. german hang pull to inverted hang - 5 x 3 w/ 5 sec hold in german hang

Did these on a straight bar with a pronated grip, but I think I might move these to the rings soon.

C1. YTWL's - 3# x 3 x 5

Today I focused really hard on the muscles being used during each movement instead of just doing the movement, and it made me feel it a little more, especially on my left side.

________

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toe assisted MU transitions - rings under nose x 8 x 4

I got these from this (http://vimeo.com/19127292) video by Jeff Tucker, and I will be gauging the intensity of this exercise by how high the rings are compared to my body when I am in the kneeling starting position. Today, the height of the rings was such that I could rest my nose of the portion where I grip the rings. I will probably work here for another session to see how how sore I get (especially in my elbows because I could feel them getting tight after a while) and how my body reacts, and then I will start increasing he height and decreasing the number of reps.

On every rep, I focused on hard retraction and depression of the scapula, as well as on using the lats to pull myself up. I also started with my elbows in front of my body and focused on keeping them as close as possible. I also did a slow negative after each concentric rep, focusing on moving my elbows from above the rings to below them, while keeping the rings as close to my body as possible.

B1. seated db ext rot - 10# x 3 x 5 each arm

I may drop the weight on these next time and go for 5 sets, but I am trying to experiment with going heavier on these since a goal I have for some undetermined point in the future is 1/4 bw for 5 reps on each arm.

C1. wrist conditioning

Changed the order up a little and did first knuckle pushups first. I liked this, it gave me a good pump in my forearms for the rest of the exercises and I didn't have to do the hardest exercise last.

D1. shoulders

At first, I had intended on doing some shoulder stand work on the rings for a couple sets after the MU transition work, but I very underestimated how hard a shoulder stand is on the rings. I might have to build some parallettes if I wanna start training that.

Also, when attempting to shoulder stand on the rings, I noticed a clicking in my left shoulder, sort of where the scapula meets the shoulder and the upper chest, when I was pressing into a ring support. It didn't really hurt, but it wasn't comfortable, so its something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Hunter Laing
10-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Thu 10-3-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - BASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip chins (chest to rings) / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2
A2. rto dips / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

So I made progress in both exercises. The false grip chins felt really strong for the first couple sets. I was again focusing on retracting and depressing my scaps, and using my lats to pull. The sets that I didn't have as much focus on these things felt much weaker.

RTO dips are tough, and I started leaning forward a little to make them harder. I could hear some clicking in my left shoulder, around the same place that I got that weird click/feeling yesterday, but there was no sensation today, so I'm not too worried.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

I am actually more excited about these today than the progress on my fg chins and rto dips, because I think I have finally figured out how the movement is supposed to work and where I am supposed to feel it. I started with my shoulder in deep internal rotation, then retracted my scapula and squeezed the db up with the muscle underneath my shoulder. I got a really good burn in that muscle on both sides, so I'll keep doing them this way as long as I dont start experiencing any pain.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (power position)
75 x 3 x 3
85 x 3
95 x 3
100 x 2 x 3 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7NGWD7nPaw)
100 x 2*
95 x 2 x 3

*did that weird, right foot toe landing thing on the third rep, fuck...

Early reps on this felt really solid. I was focused on using my lats to sweep the bar into my hips, and I was getting under the bar really quickly. I starting thinking about something I've started calling the "chinese slap drill" that a weightlifter who was passing through my gym taught me. Its hard to explain through text, but basically you stand in the power position, slap your thighs, and by the time you hear the slap you should be in the bottom of a squat with your hands over your head (herehere, not here here). The point of the drill is to show you how fast you really need to pull yourself under the bar right after you explode it up from the hips.

Last time I did these, I used 95#, and according to my notebook I was all over the place with my form, catching some reps high and not being able to get into the hole on some, so I was happy to get 95# with comfortable form (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxNbNvkDgtM).

B1. 5x3 clean off blocks (power pos)
110 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 5 x 3 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmWtk7Xsc0)

By this point in the workout I didn't really have my head in it anymore. There are just so many dumb ass people at my gym after 8 o'clock, like people walking right behind me or in front of me right before a rep, or standing in my line of sight after I asked them not to, that I started to get frustrated. So my form on these wasn't as good as it could have been, but still, its a PR.

C1. ankle mob
C2. pistol switch - 15# x 3 x 10 sec each leg

D1. knee series

Skipped the super squat hip sequence today as a little experiment to see how I feel tomorrow morning during my OLY session.

Hunter Laing
10-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Fri 10-4-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. snatch technical 1RM
75 x 3 x 1
85 x 1
95 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
130 x miss

There was a severe lack of aggression on all these reps today, but that was because I was focusing on form above everything else. My main cues were: "slow to knees", "sweep with lats", "elbows high and outside", and "herehere" from the chinese slap drill. Pretty much everything up to 130 just flew up, but 130 was a miss because I didn't get under fast enough.

B1. clean technical 1RM
95 x 2 x 1
115 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
185 x 1
190 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAu9CMap3kc)

Today was a good day for cleans. I was extremely calm going into them, like I was during all my snatches, but as the weight got heavier I had to get more aggressive. I think this aggressiveness was successful on cleans because I am more confident that I can get under the bar without missing.

I think the key to being aggressive on the oly lifts, and this is based pretty much only on evidence from today so far, is to keep the mind clear and focused on the technique until the moment you pull the bar from the floor. At that moment, you need to think about aggression and nothing else. I'll continue to explore with this mindset during the next weeks and see if it pays of in some new PRs.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
145 x 2 x 5
170 x 3 x 5

Felt good. Focused on not moving my knees to far in and on keeping my weight on the center of my foot more towards the heel. Knees felt good after these.

D1. Front Squat
b x 5
120 x 4 x 5

Also felt good. These were all nice and fast.

Had to skip some prefab/cooldown stuff again today, because I got rushed out of town again for a friends birthday. These past two weekends have really cut into my recovery, so next weekend I will make it a point to get some good sleep and eat my usual amount of quality food.

Hunter Laing
10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Mon 10-7-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Added band resistance to the scap pushups, and added some hanging depression/retraction work at the end. I'll keep with this for a while and see if I see any differences.

A1. fg chins (chest to rings) / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3
A2. rto dips / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3

FG chins felt good today, I actually think I pulled the first couple sets higher than I usually do. Although some of the last reps did feel a little weaker than I remember from last BASa session. I was also having trouble focusing on pulling with my lats...dunno whats up with that.

RTO dips went fine. I started trying to keep my body tighter as I lean forward, and was focused on trying to keep the rings turned out 90* to the front for the whole rep instead of just at the bottom.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 3 x 10 each side

Was only supposed to do 2 sets but whatever. These were kind of frustrating today, as I felt them really well on my right side, but not so much on my left. I think it was a lack of retraction on my left side,but I'm not really sure...

C1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
AM bar

A1. 3RM pause (3 sec below knee) snatch *all weights in kilos
b x 3
30 x 3 x 3
40 x 3
44 x 3
45 x 3
47 x miss
47 x 3 PR
48 x 2+miss
48 x 3 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXN2eknvPeQ)

So today I got to work in a gym with bumpers and real platforms, where people arent scared of the noise from dropping weights, and it was awesome. I'll be working here for at least the next month, as the fee is much pricier than my other gym is, so we'll see at the end of the month if I want to continue.

Most of these reps felt pretty strong, but I think I was getting pulled a little forward during the pause below the knees. I was also not getting my elbows up and out enough on some reps.

B1. 2 x 1 @ 90% / 2 x 1 @ 95% / 1 x 1 @ 100%
43 x 2 x 1
46 x 2 x 1
48 x 1

These all felt really good. I started trying to stay more upright during the pause below the knees by moving my knees sideways, and therefore out of the path of the bar, and this resulted in some pretty good looking reps. Also, after my shaky 3rm at 48, one of the coaches advised me to try to turn my elbow pits up during the lockout of the snatch and try to feel my lats working, and this made my overhead position much stronger.

C1. 3x5 RBSNDL
44 x 3 x 5

D1. ankle mob x 3

E1. knee series

Forgot to do my super squat hip mob because I had to discuss membership with the gym owner before leaving, but I didn't seem to lose much mobility in the bottom of the squat when i didn't do it last time so I think I'm ok, although I will continue to do it before and after sessions as today my right hip was feeling pretty tight.

Hunter Laing
10-08-2013, 10:04 AM
10-8-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps
shoulders-front

A2. weighted shoulder plank - 15# x 3 x 20 sec

Both felt ok. Started to cramp a little in the abzzzz.

B1. HS toe take offs - 3 x 5

These were feeling pretty good today, and I got a couple strong ~5 sec holds. I might start taking both feet off the wall at the same time, because sometimes I pull one leg too far and it throws off my body line.

These also went pretty well, and I had some really strong holds. I need to remember to put my hands a lot closer to the wall than I think I need to because it results in a better body line that has my feet stacked over my hands instead of slightly in front.

D1, wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders-back

Tried my shoulder prehab routine facing the opposite direction, and it felt really good. I'll keep this in the rotation for a while.

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 2RM pause (3 sec below knee) clean
40 x 2 x 2
60 x 2
64 x 2
66 x 2
68 x 2
70 x 2 PR
71 x 2 PR
72 x 2 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-TUksseuao)

These were feeling pretty good today, although my bottom position wasn't feeling as comfortable as usual. 72 kilos is about 158#, and my previous PR on this was 150# so thats pretty good. Also, tweaked my left knee on one of the warmup sets at 40, and I'm not really sure how...

B1. HBBS
b x 5
40 x 5
62 x 5
66 x 5
72 x 5
77 x 5

These were ok today. Again, my bottom position wasn't feeling super comfortable and my left knee was feeling a little sore from tweaking it during cleans, but these were pretty easy,

C1. FS
b x 10
51 x 5
55 x 5
59 x 2 x 5

These were also easy, and my bottom position was feeling more comfortable.

D1. ankle mob
D2. shrimp - back knee x 3 x 5 each leg
D3. gh raise - 3 x 5 w/ 5 sec dcc

Got to use a real ghd instead of hooking my legs under the pulldown machine, and I can actually do gh raises on it. Got a nice cramped pump in my hamstrings during these.

I need to be doing this after every session. My bottom position feels a lot better when I do.

Hunter Laing
10-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Wed 10-9-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - SAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Started to really feel my SA during the banded scap pushups and whippets, which I'm pretty excited about.

A2. lower to adv tuck front lever hold w/ parallel grip - 10 x 7 sec

Tuck planches felt strong today. I just need to remember to look forward and not down to keep my scaps depressed. I did all sets today with the sort of inward (very very little) rotation of my hands and it felt solid and didn't strain my wrists.

Front lever holds felt awesome today, and I think I am starting to understand the proper body position necessary to hold a full one,even though I don't have the strength yet. I did all my holds with a parallel grip instead of on a straight bar, and I think this made my retraction and depression a lot stronger for a couple reasons: 1) the parallel handles on my pullup bar are just about shoulder width, while the straight bar portion is outside shoulder width, and I think that having my arms closer to shoulder width makes me able to pull my shoulders back and down harder, and 2) the parallel grip lets me more easily externally rotate my shoulders, also leading to stronger retraction and depression. Also during some sets, I hit a really good body position, with my lower back flat, hips tucked up slightly, but still extending my legs past perpendicular with my torso, and on these sets I could really feel my abs working to hold the position. I will be aiming to feel this ab contraction on all sets from now on.

B1. lower to adv tuck back lever hold to german hang pull - 3 sec BL/5 sec GH x 5 x 3

On these, I lowered to a 3 sec adv tuck BL, then lowered to a 5 sec german hang, then pulled out to an inverted hang for 3 reps each set. I was struggling with my grip by the end, and was really feeling this all around my elbows, in forearms, biceps, and triceps, in a good way. Very solid elbow conditioning.

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toe assisted MU transition / 41X1 - rings at top of bridge of nose x 8 x 4

These were feeling a little off at the start, but got better as the sets went on. I played with my grip a lot, because I noticed that if I actually rest my wrists on the rings then my hands aren't in a goof position to dip afterwards. I ended up starting in a support position to get my hands in the right spot, and then using that grip for the transitions.

B1. seated db ext rot / 40X0 - 10# x 3 x 6 each arm

Felt good. I was feeling these on both arms today.

C1. shoulders - back/front

Hunter Laing
10-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Thu 10-10-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. FG chins (chest to rings) / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2*, 3, 2 ,2
A2. RTO dips / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

*missed chest on 3rd rep

So same basic stuff today on FG chins, focusing on hard retraction, depression, and using lats to pull. I think I need to focus a little more on depression though, because some reps weren't depressed and weren't as strong. Also, I would like to feel my lats more, so that something I'll be working on too.

RTO dips felt good today. I really focused on keeping the rings turned out to at least 30* for the entire rep and not letting them come to parallel as I was pushing up. This started getting pretty tough in the later sets. I also started thinking about keeping my elbows close to my body and driving them towards the ceiling during the decent. This kept lean to a minimum, but I dont think I'm really ready to start leaned RTO dips until I can get the rings out to 45* for the whole rep.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5.5# x 5 x 10 each side

Bumped the weight up a little. Most of these felt good, but I was losing focus on later sets.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (above knee)
30 x 3
40 x 3
43 x 3
45 x 3
47 x 5 x 3 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQLNS_upn8)

These were feeling pretty fast today. I was focused on staying on my heels, both on the pull and on the catch, and on getting my bows up and outside. On the third set, I lost my focus on the third rep and power snatched it, but immediately redid the rep and made it.

B1. 5x2 clean off blocks (above knee)
40 x 2 x 2
50 x 2
55 x 2
60 x 2
65 x 2
70 x 5 x 2 PR

Huge PR here. Last time I did these I went 145# for 5x2, and 70 kilos = 154# so this is a pretty big increase in weight. All reps were also really easy, and I had no problems getting under the bar or standing up with it. My knees were also feeling really good during these, when sometimes during cleans they get a little iffy.

C1. super squat hip sequence

Rolled out my quads, IT bands, hamstrings, and glutes before doing this. Felt goooooood.

D1. knee series

Felt really easy today. I think my knees are starting to get more resilient.

E1. ankle mob
E2. pistol switch - 15# x 1 x 10 sec each side

I tried to do the pistol switches with a 15# medicine ball, but it was really awkward, so I just called it for the day.

Hunter Laing
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Fri 10-11-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

My abzzz were feeling it during these, and I think it was from the front lever holds a couple days ago, which is kinda promising for my front levers.

B1. double toe pull HS body line wall drill - 3 x 5

These were awesome today. My body line was really good, I just have to remember to squeeze my glutes all the time. I had a couple holds here of 5+ seconds that felt really strong, and I was starting to understand how to balance by sort of alternating between pushing with the palms and pushing with the fingers.

These were awesome today too. My body line wasn't as good, but I had a 10 sec hold and a 13 sec hold which were both very strong and controlled. I think I need to keep everything tighter on these to make sure my body line is better, but these were still really fun today.

D1. wrist conditioning

This is always so much harder after EQ sessions than after anything else.

E1. prone overgrip dislocates - 2.5# x 3 x 10

I'm gunna put these before wrist conditioning next time, and also tempo them to necessitate more control until I get some more weight plates, because right now I am using just my micro plates.

________

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll/band mob
AM bar

A1. snatch 1RM
30 x 3
40 x 2
45 x 1
47.5 x 1
50 x 2 x 1
54 x 1
57 x 1
60 x 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY161tf83xg)
62 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7lxzqR9tgg)
63 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjwKM6tXss)
64 x miss
64 x 1 PR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3hQAGp1Bzs)

Snatches were awesome today. I was getting under the bar pretty quickly, and landing in a full ohs on most reps. I also beat my old PR of 135# several times, and broke the 140# barrier, putting me within 10# of a bodyweight snatch. The 64 snatch wasn't pretty, as I took a couple steps forward when standing up, but it was almost a 6# PR so I'm ok with that.

After the miss at 64, the lifter on the platform next to me told my I let the bar loop out in front, and to go for it again, so I had maybe 30 sec rest between the two attempts, but he was right and I made the second attempt fairly easily.

B1. clean 1RM
60 x 3 x 1
65 x 1
70 x 1
75 x 1
80 x 1
84 x 1
87 x miss

Got under 87, which would have just about tied my PR, but just didn't have the legs to stand up with it today. I really need to get my squat up.

C1. HBBS
b x 6
60 x 5
67 x 5
77 x 2 x 5

These felt good today. Started feeling like my left leg was contributing more.

D1. Front Squat
b x 10 - frankenstein
40 x 5 - frankenstein
50 x 5
55 x 5
60 x 2 x 5

These felt good today, although my legs were getting very tired by this point. I did the first two sets as frankenstein squats, and I feel like they helped me get a more balanced feel for my work sets today.

E1. ankle mob
E2. shrimp - back knee x 1 x 5 each leg
E3. ghd raise - 1 x 5 w/ 5 sec ecc

F1. foam roll legs/glutes
F2. super squat hip sequence

G1. band shoulder mob

The band shoulder mob I did today included the banded bully stretch, which I think might help my left shoulder with the jerk. On monday, one of the lifters at the new gym is gunna help me out on some jerk form so I might start doing clean and jerks instead of just cleans.

Hunter Laing
10-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Sat 10-12-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - SAS2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A2. lower to adv tuck front lever hold - 10 x 7 sec

Tuck planches felt really strong today. I think its time to go down to the purple band next workout. The front levers felt pretty strong too, but I couldn't get the same feeling in my abs that I had last workout, although my legs were getting pretty extended while I kept my back flat.

B1. lower to adv tuck back lever hold to german hang pull - 3 sec BL/5 sec GH x 5 x 3

These felt strong today too, and my grip has improved a lot over last time.

C1. YTWL's - 3# x 5 x 5

Found a way to raise my bench to a slightly steeper angle, and I think it helped me hit the positions better.

A friend is back in town after moving away so I'll be going out with him and saving my BASb session for tomorrow.

Hunter Laing
10-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Sun 10-13-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toes assisted MU transition / 41X1 - rings at hairline x 10 x 3

The concentric portion of these today felt very strong, and on the first couple reps I was using almost no toes assistance, but for some reason I was really struggling to control the negative.

B1. seated db ext rot / 41X1 - 10# x 4 x 6 each arm

These felt pretty good. Was getting some good activation in my external rotators.

C1. wrist conditioning

D1. shoulders-back

Hunter Laing
10-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Mon 10-14-13
MUi3h12
cort6

am - BASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Added band pull aparts to the scap routine for a little more retraction work. Theyre a lot harder than they look.

A1. FG chins (chest to rings) / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3*, 3, 3, 2**, 2, 2
A2. RTO dips / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

*started hang reps
**missed chest on 3rd rep

Really felt like I was struggling at the beginning of this session, but both exercises started feeling better towards the end. Also, the tempo notification for my FG chins these past couple weeks has been a little off, in the sense that I wasn't hanging at the bottom of the rep for 1 sec, but was instead resting on my knees and resetting my scapula to focus harder on retraction and depression. Today, however, on the 5th set I started to tuck my knees up a little so they wouldn't touch the ground and do real deadhang FG chins, still focusing hard on retraction, depression, and pulling with my lats. I also tried focusing on external rotation of my shoulders during these reps, which helped a lot, especially at the top of the rep.

RTO dips were tough as always, but I'm getting a lot better at keeping the rings turned out for the entire rep and not letting them return to parallel on the way up. However, I think next BASa session, I might try some russian dips to see if they have carry over to a stronger MU negative.

B1. db cuban rotation / 5011 - 5#s x 5 x 10

After doing seated db ext rot's with 10# yesterday, 5# didn't seem like enough today, so I decided to change up the exercise a little. I liked these a lot. Focused on keeping scape retracted, and on keeping elbows in the same spot for the entire set and rotating the dbs around them.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

*lifts in pounds today, the new gym is closed for Columbus Day, so I had to go back to the old gym, which I was extremely pissed about because the new gym is just so much better...

joints
squat mob
stick stuff

A1. 3RM: 1 snatch + 1 hang snatch + 1 OHS (1+1+1=1 rep)
b x 3
75 x 2 x 3
80 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3 technically a PR since I've never done this before...

This was a weird complex for me, because the first snatch and hang snatch and OHS would feel so easy, the second would be ok, and third would be pretty ugly. I was expecting to be fatigued during the second and third reps, but I don't think my technique is good enough yet for me to be doing such high rep snatches. Grip was also an issue, so I strapped up even though I usually only use straps if I'm cleaning after snatching. All that being said, I was getting under the hang snatches extremely fast, so maybe there is something to be said for training higher reps every once in a while...or I could just do heavier hang snatches. Another reason for this weird complex is that I will be going for a new HBBS max tomorrow, so the higher reps, and necessarily lower weight, will have my legs fresher for tomorrow.

B1. 90% x 1, 95% x 1, 100% x 1
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1

These were all stupid easy, but I was feeling fast.

C1. panda pull
135 x 3 x 3
C2. back ext
bw x 3 x 10

Panda pulls were feeling good. I was getting the bar high and was focused on keeping it close. Back extensions felt good too, its been a while since I've done those.

D1. ankle mob
D2. smr + super squat hip sequence
D3. knee series

The knee series feels really good right now, so I may start doing it every day I do OLY sessions, similar to how I do my wrist routine almost daily.

Hunter Laing
10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Tue 10-15-13
MUi3h12
cort6

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
band shoulder series
scaps

I'm really liking this band shoulder series. I think I'll try doing it before and after every session and see if all the pops and clicks in my shoulders clear up.

A1. tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 3 x 20 sec
A2. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec

After the band shoulder series, I could sink much deeper in the tri lat ext stretch, which felt really good, and I had a much easier time keeping my shoulders open during the back body line drill.

B1. double toe pull HS body line wall drill - 3 x 5

My shoulders were more open during these than usual, so it took me a while to figure out the new feeling of the HS, but when I did I was having some pretty solid ~5 sec holds with very minimal effort. My body line also looked really good during these. Something that is helping me get the feeling for the HS is trying to get the feeling of freestanding with my toes barely touching the wall, and then slowly pulling them away.

C1. HS heel pulls - 1 x 5

I think I might take these out for a while and just do the toe pulls, because these kinda screw up the whole body line feeling that I'm trying to ingrain with the rest of the exercises in my EQ sessions.

D1. double toe pull HS body line wall drill - 2 x 5

My body line feeling was a little screwed up after the HS heel pulls, but I still had one or two solid holds.

E1. prone overgrip dislocates / 3030 - 5# x 3 x 10

I taped some little pink dbs to a pvc stick for these, and then put my 1/2# micro plates in the middle. This won't be a permanent solution for weighting these but it'll work for now.

F1. wrist conditioning

G1. band shoulder series

Shoulders are feeling really good right now.

________

pm - OLY *weights back in kilos

joints
squat mob w/ bands
band shoulder series
AM bar

A1. 3x1 clean + 1 hang clean + 3 front squats + 1 jerk
b x 1
40 x 1
45 x 1
50 x 1
55 x 3 x 1

These felt pretty good today regarding technique, but my left knee was a little buggy and I couldn't quite get comfortable in the hole. After my first set, a lifter there advised me to try widening my grip on the clean because I was pulling it really low off my thighs, so I did and it helped me keep the bar a lot closer. On the first rep the bar banged in my chest. It also made for a snappier turnover, and I think it will probably make the jerk a little easier. Speaking of, today was my first day doing jerks in a long time, but they were feeling really quick. I have always had the problem of letting my chest cave on the dip causing the bar to go forward a little, so I will be focused completely on that from now on when working on jerks until it is fixed.

B1. HBBS
b x 5
40 x 5
60 x 5
80 x 3
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1 PR
107.5 x 1 PR
110.5 x 1 PR (http://youtu.be/c4l7XkDi0yc?t=23s)

These weren't feeling great today, and I still hit almost a 20# PR. On the warmup sets I was feeling very stiff and my left knee was still wonky, but it started feeling a little better as the weights increased. For the last set, I meant to just go 110, but I fucked up my math with the kilo plates...I'm not complaining though.

C1. Harop curl on GHD - bw x 3 x 5 w/ 5 sec ecc

These were really firing up my hamstrings today. I moved the foot support a lot closer to the knee pad, and it made them a lot harder, which is, I'm pretty sure, how they're supposed to be done. I got 2 reps unassisted the first set, and 1 rep unassisted on the second and third sets.

D1. foam roll
D2. super squat hip sequence

E1. band shoulder series

Since the Hatch squat cycle is basically over, some reflections: I think it was a good thing for me to run at this point in my lifting life, because it got me used to lots of squatting, front and back, every week. I feel like it probably helped condition my knees and hips and ankles to the high volume of work, which should help in the future when I will likely be doing a little less volume. It resulted in my squat going from 225# to 110.5 kilos, or 243.1#, for an 18# PR, which is really good for not going over 80% intensity on almost all squat workouts, but I feel like I could have added a lot more weight to the bar by working with less volume and heavier weights. One of the biggest problems that I had today going for the heavier weights was my form breaking down, which I didn't experience at all over the hatch program, and I think working at higher intensities for a while will help me keep my form when going for PRs better.

I think that the next step in my lifting will be a more bulgarian-esque type program, working to daily maxes in the snatch, clean and jerk, and either front or back squat. I think that the volume of the Hatch program will have adequately prepared me for a couple week run of this style lifting and should result in some more PRs. I also think this is a good time for me to start lifting for heavier weights in everything because I am at the good gym for a couple more weeks and definitely wont be able to go for maxes every day at the shitty other gym.

Hunter Laing
10-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Wed 10-16-13
MUi2
cort6

am - SAS(d)

joints
wrist stretches
band shoulder series
scaps

A1. band assisted tuck planche hold - purple x 4 x 7 sec
A2. lower to adv tuck front lever hold - 4 x 7 sec

So i tried moving up to the purple band today, and it is a lot harder than the red band was. I am actually pretty disappointed with my performance on tuck planches today, considering how strong they felt on saturday. I just felt like I couldn't get my scaps in a strong enough position during these today, and in later sets I was having some trouble keeping hard depression. I may try alternating between the red and purple bands in the next SAS session, so that I can get the right feel of the hold with the red band and try and transfer it to the purple band.

Front lever holds felt pretty strong as usual, and I was feeling my abs a little, but I still havent been able to get back into the position where I really felt them working hard, which is, I'm pretty sure, the position I want to be in during a full front lever.

B1. lower to adv tuck back lever hold to german hang pull - 3 sec BL/5 sec GH x 2 x 3

These felt good today. My shoulder mobility is improving, I think, because today I was sinking into a full german hang a lot easier than I have in previous sessions.

C1. YTWL's - 5#s x 2 x 5

Felt good. Didn't realize I was using the 5's until after I finished both sets. I'll probably go back to the 3#s next session and keep form super strict.

_________

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. MU transition - rings touching top of head x 8 x 1

So I went to do my normal toe assisted MU transitions after raising the rings a little from last BASb session, and I ended up pulling through the transition without any help from my feet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rFQBVCEXMc). Then I tried to do as slow a negative as possible, which wasn't very slow. I was pretty pumped.

B1. MU from sitting on ground - 2 x 1

I moved the rings a little lower, so that I had room over them to do a full dip but still had enough room under them to sit with fully extended arms. And I now understand why this mornings session seemed so shitty...the universe wanted me to save my strength to perform my first strict muscle up! (http://youtu.be/4beYjBUR4Nw?t=4s)

C1. seated db ext rot / 5010 - 10# x 2 x 6 each arm

Felt these pretty well on both sides, and they felt a lot easier than last time with this weight.

D1. wrist conditioning

So today ended up being awesome. Hitting my first strict muscle up is a great feeling, and now I just wanna do more of em. But this does put me in a situation that I don't really know how to deal with. I had planned on this MU intensification cycle lasting at least another 2 weeks, but now I kinda don't see the point since I have the MU. I may finish out this week and start a MU accumulation phase next week to start building up my strength in the MU. That would mean that my intensification phase only lasted for 3 weeks, but maybe thats ok... I'll have to do some reading about this and see if it really matters how long an intensification phase lasts. I feel like it doesn't really, especially if the main goal of the intensification phase has already been accomplished.

Hunter Laing
10-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Thu 10-17-13
MUi3h12

am - BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. FG chins (chest to rings) / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3
A2. RTO dips / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3

Both of these felt good today. FG chins went really well, all done from deadhang. RTO dips felt the strongest today that they have the whole time I've been doing them. I was reading around on the gymnasticbodies forums and saw something about keeping SA contracted during RTO dips. I still dont have a good mind-muscle connection with my SA (I'm working on it) but I did my best to keep them contracted today and it seemed to really help; I felt much more stable in the bottom position and had an easier time keeping the rings turned out when pressing back up.

B1. db cuban rotation /5010 - 5#s x 2 x 10

These felt really good. I think I like these better than the seated db ext rot's.

C1. wrist conditioning

D1. band shoulder series

______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band shoulder series
band squat mob
AM bar

A1. Snatch
40 x 3 x 2
45 x 1
50 x 1
54 x 1
57 x 1
60 x 1
62 x 1 (http://youtu.be/OhonL4lEK2Y?t=37s)
63 x 2 x m
63 x 1 (http://youtu.be/0aY_P8nGYgs?t=43s)

So today, during warmups, I started focusing on loose arms throughout the pull, and it was pulling the bar into a much better position as the lighter weights, but as the weights got heavier I wasn't pulling the bar as far into my hips before exploding and I wasn't pulling myself under as fast. This is something that I'll start working on more: loose arms while still sweeping the bar with my back, and then, as soon as the bar moves past my hips, reengaging those arms to pull myself under faster.

Also, my low back was feeling very fatigued today, I think from squats on Tuesday, so I'm pretty happy to hit only a kilo under my PR today.

B1. Clean and Jerk
40 x 2+1
50 x 1
60 x 2 x 1
65 x 2 x 1
70 x 1
60 x 1
65 x 1
70 x 1
73 x 1 PR
75 x 2 x 1 P (http://youtu.be/42Y4tNKjY_E?t=29s)R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDuHdvv-C0)

Cleans were easy today, as I didn't even make it within 10 kilos of my PR, but the jerks were really holding back the weight I could use. That being said, jerks felt good today, and I beat my old PR by 10# so I'm happy. I'm still pushing the weight forward, but today I tried widening my stance to see if that would help. It felt better, but because it made my catch in the split a little wider; I still pushed the bar forward. Cleans may have to be kept very light until I can fix my form on these jerks because I don't want shoulder issues coming from this like last time I tried to include jerks in my oly training.

C1. HBBS
60 x 2 x 5

D1. Front Squat
60 x 3

I thought I was gunna squat today, but I got under the bar and my left knee was feeling really sketchy, so I decided to lay off. I'll try again tomorrow. The knee felt better during the front squats than the back squats, but I didn't even notice it during the snatches and cleans.

E1. band shoulder series
E2. foam roll
E3. band squat mob

Hunter Laing
10-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Fri 10-18-13
MUi3h12

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series
AM bar x 2

A1. Snatch
40 x 2 x 2
45 x 2 x 2
50 x 2 x 1
54 x m
54 x 1
57 x 1
60 x 2 x m

So I went on on Thursday and was really hungover Friday morning. I ended up skipped my EQ session, but I don't feel too bad about that because it was going to be a deload session anyway. I still wasn't feeling great by the time I got to the gym, and basically had to force myself to go when I'm usually excited to. I just wasn't feeling explosive today and couldn't focus enough on my technique. After the second miss at 60 I gave up and moved onto clean and jerks.

B1. clean and jerk
60 x 2 x 2
65 x 3 x 1
68 x 1
70 x 1
72 x 1
60 x 3 x 1+2

Tweaked my left knee during one of the lighter cleans, and another lifter noticed and gave me a knee wrap to try out for the day. I liked it, and it mde my left knee feel more stable. I am going to try to pick up some ace bandages to wrap it up before my next session. He also helped me fix my jerk starting position, with my elbows facing more downward and the bar resting on my clavicle more than on my delts. It was uncomfortable at first but I was driving the bar much straighter up and less out forward. After hitting a really ugly jerk at 72, I decided to drop down to 60 for some cleans + 2 jerks to work on that jerk starting position more.

C1. Squat
b x 10
40 x 10
60 x 5 x 10

Had my knee wrapped up for these as well, and it made a huge difference in the way the squat felt. I actually felt my leg muscles working to get the weight up. I will probably do some high rep squats for a while just to get used to the feeling of my leg muscles actually working, because I haven't ever really felt my legs burning after sets of squats.

So today sucked a lot for the lifts, but the feeling I got during the squats kinda made up for it. When alls said and done, I'm just glad that I got my ass to the gym while feeling so shitty, and after I left I felt great.

Hunter Laing
10-21-2013, 10:23 AM
10-21-13
MUa1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 3 x 20 sec
A2. double toe pull HS body line wall drill - 3 x 5

Every upper body session will be started with this EQ combo. I have read several places that handstands need lots of frequent practice, and since I have other goals I care about more than HS at the moment, I haven't been making as much progress because I was only doing two EQ sessions a week. For this next cycle, I'll be doing this 8 times a week, which will be a huge bump up in my HS practice.

This felt really good today. The first set was a little sketchy, the second set was better, with one or two good holds, and the third set (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWoapdEizc) was solid.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 5 x 12 sec
B2. arch scap pull - 5 x 3 pulls to 4 sec hold each

Went back up to the red band today for the planche, but it still isn't feeling as strong as I remember it being before. However, on one set, I had a really good mind-muscle connection to my scaps and could really focus on pushing my whole shoulder girdle away from the floor; this was the strongest feeling set today.

On the arch scap pulls, I would pull into the arch scap hang and hold for 4 sec, then drop down to a hang and repeat two more time. This felt really solid through the first couple sets, but by the end the retraction/depression was getting hard to hold with completely straight arms and I was swinging a little in the arch scap hang holds.

C1. lower through BL to GH pull - 5sec BL/5 sec GH x 3 x 3
C2. RTO support hold - 3 x 15 sec

This was a pretty fun combo, and I think it will be really good at conditioning the elbows for further straight arm work. Also got a huge bicep pump.

D1. YTWL's - 3# x 5 x 5

Something in my left shoulder was a little tweaked when doing the T movement with certain hand positions, so I stuck with the ones that didn't aggravate it. I'll be paying close attention to my left shoulder because I have just reintroduced jerks into my training, and they have messed it up in the past. If it keeps getting worse, I'll drop the jerks and go back to just working cleans.

E1. wrist conditioning

F1. band shoulder series

______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series

A1. Snatch
b x 4
30 x 4
40 x 4
42.5 x 4
45 x 3 x 4

These were rough today. My legs were still a little sore from Friday, and I was having a hard time getting into a good starting position and I had no leg drive. My first and second pull were feeling really wonky as well. At 45, I started getting under the bar really fast; I had to because I had no leg drive and no explosiveness, but that was kind of the point to doing 4 rep sets; it was just a little more intense than I thought it would be today. I moved my grip a little wider because it felt like I was no longer getting the bar into my hips, but I think I was also not sweeping it very well. Still have lots to work on for the snatch...

My low back was also on fire during these. This is the first time I have ever felt my low back during snatches at all, so maybe I'm doing something right.

B1. Clean and Jerk
45 x 3
50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 2 x 3

By the time I got to these my low back was pretty much done, so the weights stayed light today. My jerk form has gotten a lot better with the new jerk starting position, and the bar isn't going nearly as forward, if at all. I also got a compliment from one of the coaches on my self-coached clean and jerk form. =)

C1. Front Squat
b x 6
40 x 6
50 x 6
60 x 6 x 6

Wrapped up my left quad right above the knee with an ace bandage today, even though it wasn't feeling tweaked at all, just to be safe and to try and recreate the feeling I had with the back squats on Friday. It worked pretty well. I had no knee twinges throughout the work sets, and I was able to "chuanfu" pretty effectively with both legs. I didn't actually feel my leg muscles working as much as I did with the back squats on Friday, but that could be because I did much lower rep sets.

D1. foam roll
D2. band squat mob
D3. band shoulder series

Hunter Laing
10-22-2013, 09:11 AM
10-22-13
MUa1

am - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. weighted tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 3 x 20 sec
A2. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

Wasn't feeling the toe pulls nearly as well today as I was yesterday, but I think its probably because my shoulders are pretty fatigued.

B1. lower to adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec
B2. planche lean - 5 x 15 sec

Front levers felt pretty good, but the longer hold times meant that I could untuck as much as I was during the 7 sec holds from the MUi cycle. Planche leans felt pretty good too, although they make my left shoulder feel a little iffy. I like em though, because I can focus a lot more on the feeling of pushing into the ground with my entire shoulder girdle.

C1. lower through BL to GH pull - 5sec BL/5sec GH x 3 x 3
C2. RTO support - 3 x 15 sec

Makes my elbows feel goooood.

D1. Lu raises - 5# x 5 x 10

I'm calling these Lu raises because I first saw Lu Xiaojun doing them in a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IDqX1eMFmA). The chinese apparently love them for shoulder health so I thought I'd give em a try.

E1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series
AM bar

A1. squat
40 x 2 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 4 x 10

I tried to squat without the knee wrap on my left leg, but on maybe the 6th rep of the first set I felt the tweak come back, so I wrapped it up for the remaining sets. I still felt a little knee twinge on one of the sets at 70, so I have to remember that the wrap isn't a magical fix and that I still need to focus on keeping my left leg in a good position.

B1. hang snatch
30 x 4
35 x 4
40 x 4 x 4

My low back was shot during these, but I was actually sweeping the bar really well and getting under it quickly.

C1. hang clean and jerk
40 x 3
50 x 3
60 x 2 x 3

Low back was finished at this point, but these reps were also pretty quick, although the jerks were getting slow by the end.

D1. foam roll
D2. low back stretches
D3. band shoulder series

Hunter Laing
10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Wed 10-23-13
MUa1

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. seated Muscle Up - 1 rep every 2:00 x 15

So I decided to try some EDT type training to build up my capacity with MUs. I started today at 1 rep every two minutes, meaning that I did 15 reps in 30 min. Every time I hit all 15 reps, I will drop the interval by 5-10 seconds.

Today, I tried doing as slow a negative as possible, but by the 10th rep I was basically just falling, so I stopped them there.

B1. weighted tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 1 x 20 sec
B2. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

I meant to do these first, but I was so excited to work MUs that I forgot... Still, these went better than yesterday, although the longest holds were around 3-4 secs, so still nothing compared to Monday. One thing I need to remember for these is to always be actively pushing through my shoulders, because sometimes I find myself kinda just supporting myself on my hands and not actually engaging my shoulders at all.

C1. prone overgrip dislocates - 5# x 4 x 10

These make my shoulders feel so good. Definitely keeping them in the mix.

________

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rope chins (L/R) no space b/w hands - 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 2/2, 2/2
A2. DFD pushups / 31X1 - 6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4

So this was my first time doing rope chins, and theyre pretty rough on the hands. I did these with my hands basically touching, left hand on top first for 2-3 reps, then right hand on top for the same number of reps. My standard for making a rep on these rope chins is that my chin has to get above the top hand, which I did on every rep I did today. I didn't do tempo on the rope chins this time around because I wanted to make sure I wasn't choosing a variation that was too difficult for my current strength level, but I think I'll try to tempo them next BASb session. That will surely be hard on the grip.

DFD pushups are pushups in the downward facing dog position from yoga; I'm using them to help me work towards handstand pushups. On these, I was focusing on keeping my SA active throughout the range of motion, although I lost focus on this during some of the middle sets. I also tried to make the movement mimic, as closely as possible, the movement into and out of the bottom portion of a HSPU. My plan with these is to increase the height of my feet as I get stronger with it and eventually have my torso completely vertical. Then I'll take them against the wall.

B1. db cuban rotation / 5011 - 5#s x 5 x 10

My shoulders were pretty shot going into these, but I made it through em with a nice burn in my upper back and rear delts area.

C1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
10-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Thu 10-24-13
MUa1

am - SASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

Still not feeling these like I did on Monday, but better than yesterday and Tuesday. I might start supersetting the toe pulls with back body line drills because I feel like my body line might be the issue.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 5 x 12 sec
B2. arch scap pull and hold - 5 x 3 w/ 4 sec hold on each pull

Tuck planches were much better today than they have been recently. I focused on mainly protraction, and not so much depression, and the holds were much stronger. I think that depression will be important in later stages, and that as I advanced through adv tuck and beyond the depression will be more necessary to maintain balance over the hands. Arch scap pulls were fine, but my arms were bending a little on later sets.

C1. lower through BL to GH pull - 5sec BL/5sec GH x 2 x 3
C2. RTO support - 2 x 15 sec

Only did two sets today because I was really starting to feel my elbows and forearms, especially on my right. I think this is probably because yesterday was super elbow intensive with exercises I haven't really done before, mainly the MUs for more reps than I've ever done and the rope chins. My right forearm is still feeling a little sore, but I'm not too worried about it.

D1. YTWL's - 3#s x 5 x 5

E1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series
AM x 2

A1. 4x3 snatch off blocks (below knee) @ 80%
30 x 3
35 x 3
40 x 3
44 x 3
47 x 3
50 x 3
52 x 4 x 3 PR (http://youtu.be/bHxDFaQNsgs?t=18s)

Felt good on these. This is also a pretty big PR, as the last time I did sets of 3 off blocks below the knee I used 105#. I was really focused today on using my back to sweep the bar to my hips, and I was using a slightly different technique with my back where I would first flare my lats out and then pull my shoulders back, and it helps keep the bar nice and close. I also tried to get my torso a little more upright on the pull by shoving my knees out to the side at the start. This also worked pretty well, so I think I will start trying to get my knees sideways and out of the way on all snatches and cleans and see if it makes a difference.

B1. 3x3 snatch pull from hang @ 100% of max snatch
40 x 2 x 3
50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 3
64 x 3 x 3

On these I worked on sweeping the bar into my hips and keeping it close after exploding. Usually the first rep of the set would swing out a little, but the next two would be close.

C1. 3x2 heaving snatch balance @ 85% of max snatch
b x 2 x 3
30 x 2
40 x 2
44 x 2
47 x 2
50 x 2
52 x 2
54 x 3 x 2 PR (http://youtu.be/hZnCoJ1Eigc?t=27s)

These were feeling really good today, although the reps at 54 were a little slower than I would have liked. next time I do these, I really need to work on actively pulling myself under the bar with my legs.

So my elbow was annoying me all day, and it was feeling a little iffy walking into the gym, but after I got warmed up and started working with the bar I didn't really feel it anymore. As of right now I don't really notice it either, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Hunter Laing
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Fri 10-25-13
MUa1

am - skipped

I was supposed to do my SASb session today this am, but I am trying to be careful about my elbow, and my left shoulder was so sore yesterday that, last night while I was sleeping, if I rolled over on it in the wrong way it would wake me up.

I've been feeling a little under-recovered lately, even though I'm still making PRs in everything, and I'd like to get back to feeling awesome while making PRs. Maybe I'm going through Broz's "dark times", but I've got to go back to HSC for homecoming tomorrow, and I'm visiting my granddad who has just had surgery on his eyes and knees next week, so this seems like a good enough time as any to back off a little bit.

I also think I need a little more focus on mobility, so I will work on that, and try to incorporate some kind of SMR/stretching routine before bed every night.

Also I'm taking the jerk back out of my OLY sessions for now. Its just a little too much stress on the shoulders at the moment, and I'd rather make progress with MUs and rope climbing and work towards HSPUs than have a big jerk.

_______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series

A1. 4x3 clean off blocks (below knees) @ 85%
40 x 2 x 3
50 x 2 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 3
64 x 3
67 x 3
69 x 4 x 3 PR (http://youtu.be/fcEHX2ElDRo?t=36s)

The pulls on these felt really good, as I focused on spreading my knees sideways and out of the way of the bar for a more vertical pull, as well as sweeping the bar into my hips. The landings, however, didn't feel great. My knees were a little stiff going into the session, but on the second set at 50 I felt my left knee tweak a little. I wrapped it up and continued with the session, but was being really tentative with getting under the bar. I paid a lot of attention to landing on my left heel especially, but I would still feel that little tweak every now and then. On the sets at 69, I started trying to not sink so deep into the hole, because I think I might be going too deep and loosening up shit that should be tight. I dunno, I'm gunna have to play with this for a while because I really want this knee shit to stop.

B1. Front Squat
b x 2 x 5
40 x 2 x 5
60 x 3
70 x 3
75 x 3
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1 PR (http://youtu.be/QppSANOQ7wU?t=20s)

So I wasn't really sure what I was doing, rep wise, on front squats today and just decided to squat. I ended up with a PR, but thats not surprising considering that I've cleaned 190# when my FS "PR" was 185#. My knee actually felt pretty good during these, and I wasn't going as low as I possibly could.

C1. foam roll

Took a lax ball to my left knee during this, and it felt pretty good.

D1. couch stretch

I read today, from Greg Everett, that something to look at when dealing with knee pain is hip flexor tightness, and I've never stretched my hip flexors before so I will be looking into that.

Hunter Laing
10-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Mon 10-28-13
MUa1.5

am - SASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 15 sec
A2. toe pull HS wall drill - 1 x 5

Wasn't feeling these again today, and I think there are a couple reasons why. First, I have my hands a little too far from the wall, and therefore too much weight on the heels of my hand as opposed to the fingers, and second, I had my knees bent slightly, so they pulled me towards the wall, also putting more weight on the heels of my hands.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 2 x 12 sec
B2. arch scap hang - 2 x 3 w/ 4 sec holds

Tuck planche felt strong today. I went back to having my hands slightly turned out instead of slightly in. I think having them slightly in was leading to too much internal rotation on my left side, causing a little bit of discomfort. Arch scap hangs were fine, although my arms were slightly bent on some reps, which is no bueno.

C1. supinated german hang - 1 x 15 sec
C2. RTO support - 1 x 15 sec

Changing things up a little with the german hangs. I wanted something that wouldn't stress my elbows as much as the BL GH pulls, but something that would stress them more than regular german hangs. I'll play with this for a while, and then probably move on to doing them on rings.

D1. prone overgrip dislocate - 5# x 2 x 10

E1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
AM

A1. snatch off blocks (above knee)
30 x 2 x 3
40 x 3
44 x 3
47 x 3
50 x 5 x 3

So my left shoulder was still bothering me a little going into these, but it got better as the sets went on and I stopped noticing it. I also felt like today I was finally doing real snatches and actually dropping under them into a full squat. I was also doing a good job sweeping the bar into my hip, and was pulling with the knees forced out a little for a more upright torso.

B1. 4x4 snatch pull to hip
40 x 4
50 x 4
60 x 4
70 x 4 x 4

These were feeling good too. I was sweeping the bar to the hip really well and popping my hips well too. Used the knees out pull and it was feeling really good.

C1. 4x7/13 FS/BS @ 65% of FS mas
b x 2 x 5/10
40 x 5/7
50 x shit

At 50 I started feeling my left knee again, so I wrapped it up, but still felt it wrapped, so I called it a day.

D1. foam roll
D2. couch stretch
D3. band shoulder series

I'm fucking pissed off today, despite the snatches feeling really good. This olympic lifting is starting to beat up my body a lot. My left shoulder is pretty much constantly aggravated, as I can't squat more than I snatch without my left knee feeling like its about to pop out of the socket. I have to back off the lifts for a while and do a lot of mobility work, because I'm sick of feeling injured.

Hunter Laing
10-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Tue 10-29-13
MUa1.5

am - BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

A1. seated MU - 1 rep every 1:50 x 6

These went well today, and on the last two sets I actually managed to slow the negative down a little.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5.75# x 2 x 10 each arm

C1. shoulders-back

D1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rope ground row (chest to hands) / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 4
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6

I think part of the pain that I have been feeling in my left shoulder is by biceps long tendon(or something like that) that became irritated last week during rope chins, so I decided to back off to an easier version until the grip and everything on my left side catches up to my right. I focused on retraction and depression with these.

DFD pushups went well, but I need to start standardizing the distance between my hands and feet so that I dont change the angle of my torso as the sets go on. On these I focused on keeping my SA active and keeping my bows close to my sides .

B1. close-grip tuck L chins (chest to bar) / 31x1 - 5, 6
B2. ring dips / 31x1 - 6, 6

I have been toying with the weekly layout of this MU accumulation cycle because of the different pains I've been having, and I will be doing two different sets of BA push/pull exercises in the BASb session starting next week for a little more variety in an effort to avoid overuse injuries for a while.

C1. db cuban rot - 5#s x 2 x 10

I don't think I'm ready for these yet, as I feel the seated db ext rots much more in my external rotations, and don't really get a burn from these in any particular spot.

Hunter Laing
11-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Mon 11-4-13
MUa2

am - EQ/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1a. back body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A1b. front body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A1c. weighted tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 1 x 20 sec
A2. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

These felt pretty good today. I had a couple holds that were 5-6 seconds, but I feel like I didn't have the weight centered enough over my fingers. Next time I do this session, I may just do the body line HS drill instead of the toe pulls, and save toe pulls for the dedicated EQ session.

B1. seated MU - 1 rep every 1:50 x 15

These felt strong. I even had some really slow negative reps. On a couple reps I let my hands go out really wide, but I didn't miss any reps. Next session I'll be going down to 1:40 intervals.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5.75# x 3 x 10 each arm

I was feeling these in my infraspinatus pretty well on my left side, and even better on my right side. I definitely think I need to stick with these for now over the cuban rotations.

_______

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-back

A1. incline rope climb - 6, 5, 5, 4, 4
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

The incline rope climbs felt pretty good, but were tough on the hands. DFD pushups felt good, and I focused really hard on keeping SA active. I wasn't getting any popping in my left shoulder like I usually get during these, so I think my scap position was pretty good.

B1. close grip tuck L chin (chest to bar) / 31x1 - 6, 4, 3
B2. ring dips / 31x1 - 6, 5, 4

Chins were rough today. I was focusing on retraction and depressing my scape before each pull, and then focused on pulling with my lats. Ring dips were also really tough today, and I was having trouble getting to a strong locked out elbow position at the top of some reps.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5.75# x 2 x 10 each arm

D1. shoulders-front

I think I may have tried to start rope climbing too soon, and I'm thinking about cutting out the rope climbing progressions and instead doing 10 sets of tuck L chins, and maybe cut the ring dips out too and do 10 sets of the DFD pushups. I still have some time to figure out which way I want this cycle to go, as I'll be spending the next two weeks helping out my grandfather who just got out of surgery, so my training might not be as consistent as I'd like it to be.

Hunter Laing
11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
11-5-13
MUa2

am - LB

joints

A1. deadlift
b x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5

Since I'm taking a break from the oly lifting to try to let my left knee heal, I need a new goal to work towards for lower body sessions. I figure the deadliest would be a pretty good lift to work towards because I haven't doe it in a really long time and it doesn't require too much flexion at the knees so it won't bother my left knee while I try to rehab it.

Today, I focused on using my legs to drive the bar up and on not pulling it up with my back.

B1. db bulgarian split squat / 31x1 - 20#s x 3 x 3 each leg
B2. db straight leg romanian deadlift / 31x1 - 20#s x 3 x 5

So I decided to work on some one legged squat variations to try and build up the left leg more around the knee. I wanted to do 5-8 sets of 3 for each leg, but my left knee was giving my problems. It was weird though, because when I was pushing off my left leg it felt fine, but when it was up on the bench, I would feel the same twinge when I was in the bottom position. Db deadlifts felt good, and I tried to focus on using my ass to do most of the movement.

C1. one leg hops, left - 3 x 50
C2. one leg balance, left - eyes closed x 3 x 20 sec
C3. one leg hops, right - 3 x 50
C4. one leg balance, right - 3 x 20 sec

I wanted to do one leg jump ropes instead of just hops but the gym didn't have a jumprope. This surprisingly set my calves on fire the whole time I was doing it. I'm hoping that a little lower leg strengthening will help with my knee problems, because its not something I've ever really done seriously before.

______

pm - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

A2. pigeon - 3 x 5 each side

Back body line drill was feeling pretty easy. I did left side first on pigeons today, but my right side is much stiffer so I'll do right side first next time.

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 20
B2. one leg straight leg good morning - 3 x 5 each side

Front body line drill was ok. I need to get my hands farther off the ground and keep my legs straight. One legged GMs were pretty bad on both sides; I was struggling to keep my leg straight throughout, and was having problems getting all the way to parallel, but later sets were much better than the first one.

C1. weight tri lat ext - 15# x 3 x 20 sec
C2. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec

Tri lat exts felt good, my whole upper body is a little tight from the BAS sessions yesterday. HS body line wall drill also went well, but I need to practice my cambered hands.

D1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5
D2. 4 pos hip lift - 3 x 5 each side

HS toe pulls weren't great at the start, but I had a very solid and easy 8 sec hold in the third set. I think part of this is that I wasn't using cambered hands for the first two sets, and when I did on the third it gave me a lot more control over the HS. My right side is absolutely fucked on these, so hopefully working this and the pigeons will improve my mobility on that side. This is weird because I always thought it was my left side that was more immobile.

E1. prone overgrip dislocates - 5# x 3 x 10

F1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Wed 11-6-13
MUa2

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. lower to adv tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

The press HS's felt pretty good today. I did em with my hands sideways so I wouldn't tweak my wrists like last time I was doing them, and my goal on each rep was to get my legs parallel with the ground one every rep. FL holds went well, and the first set was very extended, but as the sets went on I was extending less and less. I felt the retraction and depression pretty well though, and I was getting my lats into it a lot too.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purple x 5 x 15 sec
B2. bent leg HLR - 5 x 10

Tuck planches were all over the place today. In later sets, I started focused almost exclusively on protraction and not worrying about depression as much and it made the holds a lot easier. I think that I might have been trying to depress my scape too much, and instead I need to let them depress naturally as I extended farther toward a straddle planche in the future.

The HLRs are a little awkward with my setup in my basement, because I can't hand with a straight body under my pullup bar, and with my legs completely straight I would be kicking the ceiling, so I just did what I could. The first sets felt pretty strong, but as I fatigued in later sets I started swinging a little to help me finish the reps. I'll be working towards doing all reps strict.

C1. YTWLs - 3#s x 3 x 5 each

Instead of cycling through each movement, today I did all 5 of each before moving onto the next. Made my upper back and shoulders feel all warm and fuzzy.

-So this SAS session, and the one I'll be doing this pm, are kind of a return to what I was doing in my first bw accumulation cycle, and I think this is better for SAS than just doing planche/front lever holds. My shoulders feel much better after this session than they have in a while after a SAS session, so I'm thinking something I should remember is that the scapula needs more variety in each session, and needs to be trained at lots of different angles to keep it feeling good.

________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. RTO support - 5 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pull w/ 3 sec hang - 5 x 5

RTO supports were feeling good. The first couple sets I felt very stable and strong, but on the last two sets I got some of that clicking in my left shoulder as I got into position. Arch scap pulls felt strong, but on the video I noticed that I was retracting my right scap a lot more than I was retracting my left. I think I have a better mind-muscle connection to my right side, so I might start doing some one sided retraction work on my left side to try and bring that up.

B1. segmented cast wall walk w/ three 3 sec pause - 5 x 3
B2. supinated german hang - 5 x 15 sec

The segmented cast wall walks were a lot harder than I thought they were gunna be, but they made my shoulders feel pretty good. supinated GH are a little harder on my elbow than pronated, which is why I'm working them before going back to GH pull work and BL work.

C1. YTWLs - 3 x 5 each

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
11-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Thu 11-7-13

pm - EQ/BASa(d) + BASb

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

A2. active pigeon - 3 x 5 each side

B1. seated MU - 1 rep every 1:40 x 6

These were pretty strong, and I was easily holding the false grip with no chalk.

C1. ring chins / 31x1 - 6, 5, 5*, 4*, 3**, 3**, 3, 3*, 2**
C2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5

*ugly last rep
**missed next rep

These were pretty brutal today. I went for a couple extra reps that I probably shouldn't have that were kinda ugly, where I had to kip a little, and some I didn't even get my chin above the rings. The DFD pushups were also getting tough by the end. I figured out that if I keep my legs locked, the bottom position more closely resembles the bottom of a freestanding HSPU, so I did that on all sets.

D1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 2 x 10 each arm

I wanted to do 5 sets, but I had to cut it short because I was at the gym with my mom after a job interview in DC and I wanted to show her the wrist routine because she has been having some wrist pain, and she had to leave to get ready for dinner or something.

E1. wrist routine

Felt good, and my mom said her wrists were feeling really good after it too.

Hunter Laing
11-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Mon 11-18-13
phase1-intro

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. muscle up - 1 rep every 1:30 x 13 *failed reps 10 and 13...

These were tough today. During the warm up, I missed probably 5 times before I finally made one and started the clock. After they were going smoothly for a while until #10, and then I started struggling. Oh well, I'm not too pissed about this because I have been eating like shit over the past week and drinking literally every night, while also not doing any physical exercise of any kind.

B1. ring chins / 31x1 - 4, 4, 3
B2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 6, 5, 5

Fuuuck ring chins were hard today. I felt like I couldn't retract and depress as strongly as I wanted to and was having trouble feeling my lats during the pull. The DFD pushups also felt harder than the previous time doing this movement, but I made a technique breakthrough that probably contributed to this: I have previously been transferring my weight back to my feet after each press, but today I left as much weight as possible on my hands today.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 3 x 10 each arm

I felt these a lot on both sides. Felt good.

D1. 90* iso chin up hang - 42 sec + 15 sec = 57 sec

I decided to add these in to develop some grip strength. The goal is to work up to 60 sec in one set, and then I'll probably start working towards one arm hangs. Today, I went for a third set, but my back was too shot to even pull into the 90* hang position, so I called it quits.

Notes: Even though everything felt generally shitty today, I'm glad that I finally got a session in. For the past week, I have been helping out my granddad since he just got out of the hospital after a string on surgeries on his eyes and knees. He has been taking me out every night to amazing restaurants, so I have been pretty lax on my diet, and haven't really had the time to get a session in. He is finally gaining some mobility back himself so I had a little time today to squeeze this session in, and I will hopefully have more time over the next week or two to get some more sessions in before starting back up with two-a-days when I get home.

Hunter Laing
11-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Mon 11-25-13
phase1-accumulation

am - BAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring chins / 31x1 - 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3
A2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Feeling pretty weak today, but I expected that. Ring chins went ok, but I was having some trouble retracting and depressing to initiate the movement, especially on my left side. One thing I need to remember when doing my chins is to pull my elbows down in front of my body and not to the sides. I feel my lats better when I pull to the front and have more control at the top of the movement. DFD pushups were feeling good, and I started putting most of my weight over my hands instead of my feet. I also put some thin wood boards under my hands so I can grip harder than I can on carpet, and I put a thicker board under my feet, both to increase the angle slightly and too makes sure I was keeping the distance between my hands and feet constant throughout the sets.

B1. muscle up / 10 min for max singles - 1, 1, f, f, f

So, the first muscle up I did today was extremely slow, which is good because I haven't really done a solid slow MU before. But the next one was slower, and much uglier, and after that I didn't feel like I was executing the technique right. Next BAS session I'll be doing slow ecc MU to try and build some strength through the transition.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 4 x 10 each arm

I was going to do 5x10, but I think my external rotators tired out a little too much for that, because I felt them working hard through the first three sets, but didn't feel them in the fourth set on either side and felt it more in my anterior shoulder area, so I called it quits.

D1. tuck 90-90 iso chin hang - 3 x 20 sec

These felt good, and I was shaking by the end of all 3 sets. I focused on the retraction and depression of my shoulders and on using my lats to hold me in the position.

______

pm - EQ1/BAS2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

The straddle warmup I did today, and will probably do for a while, started with weighted butterfly's for 10, then straddle circles for 10 reps each direction, and ended with elevated weighted pancake good mornings.

A2. active pigeon stretch - 3 x 5 each side

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 10 sec
B2. one leg good morning - 3 x 5 each side

C1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip lift - 3 x 5 each side

I started using a wood board under my hands on these, like with the DFD pushups this morning, and I feel like it made my body line a lot better. I'm sure it will make my off the wall holds better when I get back to em.

D1. elevated bridge hold - 3 x 15 sec
D2. elevated straddle up - 3 x 5

Focused on getting my shoulders above my hands on the bridges. I did the straddle ups off of this table box thing in my basement, but I need something lower for next time.

E1. seated muscle up - 15 x 1 every 1:30

It felt really good to get all 15 reps on this, as I thought that I was maybe losing my MU ability after the last two sessions. I need to strengthen up my wrists a little after so much time off; they were a little uncomfortable in the FG today.

F1. band retraction - p90x red x 4 x 10

I decided to add these to my BAS days since I've been having some trouble retracting and depressing.

G1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
11-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Tue 11-26-13
phase1-accumulation

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 4 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 4 x 5 each side

B1. front body line drill - 4 x 10 sec

C1. HS body line wall drill - 5 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip lift - 5 x 5 each side

D1. undergrip dislocates - 4 x 10

E1. active pullup iso hang - 3 x 20 sec

Hunter Laing
11-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Wed 11-27-13
phase1-accumulation

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half press HS - straddle x 4 x 3, tuck x 1 x 3

So the press HS work went really well for the first couple sets. I was getting my legs below parallel with the ground and was pushing through my shoulders well. On the third set I started to feel my scap strength give a little, and on the fourth set, on the last rep, I think I hit complete scapular failure on the left side and ended up falling trying to press back up so I went to tuck for the last set.

FL wasn't feeling so hot today. I didn't feel like I had good scap position and I was holding all the sets slightly above parallel. I started on the rings for the first 4 sets, but moved to the bar for the 5th, and I like the bar better for now.

B1. planche lean - 5 x 15 sec
B2. k2e - 5 x 10

Planche leans were ok today. My main focus was on keeping protracted and on keeping my elbow pits pointed as far forward as possible, but I struggled with that a lot on my left side. I tried a bunch of different hand placements: hands forward, sideways, in between, and on dumbbells, and I think I'm going to make some parallettes this week and try using that next time.

K2E were pretty easy. I kept my shoulders active the whole time and it made the move a lot easier.

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 5 x 5

Hunter Laing
11-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Thu 11-28-13
phase1-accumulation

am - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Forgot to do the straddle warmup...

A1. RTO support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 5 x 8

B1. L sit - 3 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 3 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 raise - 4 x 5

Time to eat some turkey.

Hunter Laing
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Mon 12-2-13
ph1a-wk1

am - EQ/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 2 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 2 x 5 each side

Back body line drills felt good today. I think I've been rounding my shoulders slightly while trying to get hollow, which I didn't do today, and I achieved a much straighter body line. Pigeons are getting a lot more comfortable on both sides.

B1. front body line drill - 2 x 15 sec
B2. one leg GM - 2 x 5 each side

Front body lines were ok today, but one leg GMs were feeling pretty good. I think I only lost my balance once on each side.

C2. shinbox hip raise - 3 x 5 each side

HS body lines looked really good today. I just need to get my hands slightly closer to the wall so I feel the pressure more on my fingers than my palms. Shinbox raises are a little awkward with my right leg forward, but were feeling better by the third set.

D1. elevated back bridge hold - 3 x 15 sec

Back bridges felt good today. I felt very little pressure on my lower back, although I felt some in my mid and upper back as I tried to get my shoulders to stack over my hands. Straddle ups felt good today, and I lowered to using a guitar case instead of the coffee table. I'll be doing em off the ground soon enough!

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:30 x 15

These were ok today. It's been a while and the skin on my wrists has been deconditioned slightly, so I have some tears on both wrists. The ecc MU transitions felt great today. This is the first time I have ever felt like I have had real control over how slow I go from over the rings to under them. I'll be taking :10 off next time I do these.

F1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

Got all 5 sets in today, although the ending sets I felt more in my shoulders than I usually do.

______

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 30x0 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5
A2. DFD pushup / 31x0 - 6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 4

Ground rows were pretty good. Focused on hard retraction and depression, but also on making a more seamless transition to the actual row instead of setting scaps for a moment and then pulling. I also worked on pulling as hard and as explosively as possible. DFD pushups went ok. As with the rows, I started trying to push as explosively as possible on these reps. It made some sets easier, but I was also getting slightly out of the position that I wanted to be in.

B1. MU transition ecc from bottom of dip + FG chin dcc / 4000 + 4000 - 5 x 2

These were feeling pretty good. The ecc MU transitions were pretty strong, and I was controlling them well. I actually felt these most in my palms, which are torn up and a little bruised right now, so I think I will have even better control once my hands adapt to MU work again.

C1. band retraction - red cord x 5 x 10

Makes my shoulders feel goooood.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. tuck 90-90 iso chin hang - 3 x 20 sec

This was getting tough by the end. I was focused on keeping my scape retraction and depressed and on keeping my knees at parallel.

It felt really good today to finally eat right and get in both sessions I had planned. Hopefully I'll be back on this schedule for a good while.

Hunter Laing
12-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Tue 12-3-13
ph1a-wk1

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 10 sec

C2. shinbox hip lift - 5 x 5 each side

Was gunna do 5 sets but my left knee started bothering me during the straddle ups in the same place it was while I was oly lifting, so I eased off.

E1. undergrip dislocates - 5 x 10

Hunter Laing
12-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Wed 12-4-13
ph1a-wk1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

This straddle warmup is working pretty well, as I'm actually seeing a lot of improvement already in my straddle/pancake flexibility.

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

The straddle HS press work went really well today. I got my legs to parallel with the ground on every rep, and I didn't lose my scapular control on any reps. One thing I need to work on is lowering my legs evenly, because my left leg goes down a little farther than my right. FL work was meh, didn't feel great but didn't feel bad either.

B1. planche lean - 5 x 12 sec
B2. k2e - 5 x 10

Planche leans felt pretty good today. I used planks of wood under my hands and turned my hands sideways, and I feel like that really helped me achieve a better position. My protraction was very strong, although on later sets I started piking at the hips.

C1. YTWLs - 5 x 5

______

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. rto support - 6 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 6 x 8

Accidentally did 6 sets...

B1. bent leg straddle L hold - 4 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 4 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 press - 4 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Thu 12-5-13
ph1a-wk1

am - EQ/BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

B1. front body line drill - 2 x 15 sec

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:20 x 6

These went pretty well today considering my left wrist is still chewed up from monday.

F1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

No tempo on these today. I'm using that as my deload variation so I get the same volume rep-wise, but TUT is much lower.

_______

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground rows / 31x1 - 6, 8, 5 ,5 ,5 ,4 ,4 ,4 ,4 ,4
A2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Added the pause back in at the top and bottom of both movements. I feel like it makes me perform them with more control and it's easier to determine, on the rows, if I should count a rep or not as I start to fatigue.

B1. MU transition ecc from bottom of dip + FG chin dcc / 4000 + 4000 - 5 x 2

Felt strong on these. Hopefully soon I can start working MU transition concentrics too.

C1. band retraction - red cord x 5 x 10

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Sat 12-7-13
ph1a-wk1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS - 5 x 3

Both of these felt really good today. I think next SASa session I will try going for 5x4 on the HS press work.

B2. k2e - 5 x 10

I changed my hand position to a more forward one, and it felt a lot more comfortable on my forearms. I need to work on my thumb flexibility a little more so I can get them flat on the ground instead of kinda on the side.

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 15 sec

B1. low straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 5 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 press - 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Mon 12-9-13
ph1a-wk2

am - EQ/BASa2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

B1. front body line drill - 2 x 20 sec

I felt like my position on the HS body line wall drill was really good today. My wrists were really close to the wall and I felt like I was getting really good extension while still keeping my rips pulled in.

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:10 x 15

Felt good. After I hit 15 at 1:00 intervals I am going to start adding reps.

F1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

Felt these really well on both sides.

G1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 5
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 5 ,6

B1. MU ecc + FG chin ecc / 4000 + 4000 - 2 x 2

Felt good today. Very controlled, but I need to keep my left SA more active.

C1. band retraction - red cord x 2 x 10

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Tue 12-10-13
ph1a-wk2

am - EQ

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
B2. one leg GM - 3 x 5 each side

C2. shinbox hip raise - 5 x 5 each side

E1. shoulders-front

F1. wrist conditioning

G1. straight arm active hang - 3 x 20 sec

Hunter Laing
12-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Wed 12-11-13

am - SASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle half press HS - 2 x 4
A2. lower to adv tuck FL hold - 2 x 15 sec

Press HS work was a little off on the first set, I didn't have my hands far enough away from the wall. Second set went better, but I need to work on keeping both of my legs even all the way down and back up. FL holds felt good too. I felt like I was pivoting around my shoulders more which led to a stronger scap position.

B1. planche lean - 2 x 15 sec
B2. k2e - 2 x 10

PL leans felt rally strong today. I'm finally starting to figure out the hand position that is most comfortable for me.

C1. YTWL's - 3# x 2 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

B1. low straddle L hold - 5 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 5 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 press - 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Thu 12-12-13
ph1a-wk2

am - EQ/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:00 x 15

These were getting kinda hard by the end. I had about 45 sec of rest between each rep. I think I may go back to 1:30 b/w reps and start doing more.

Didn't feel these as well as I would have liked.

G1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4 = 55
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4 = 54

On the DFD pushups, I think that I need to not have my arms squeezed against my body in the bottom of the rep, but I still need to keep my scaps active the whole time.

B1. ecc MU transition + ecc FG chin / 4000 + 4000 - 5 x 2

Tore a quarter size chunk of skin off my right palm on the last rep of the MU transitions, but other than that these were feeling strong.

C1. band retractions - red cord x 5 x 10

Hunter Laing
12-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Mon 12-16-13
ph1a-wk3

am - EQ/BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:30 x 6

F1. seated db ext rot / no tempo - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

G1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4 = 55
A2. DFD pushup / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4 = 56

Changed the form on the DFD pushups a little bit, so now I'm putting my forehead to the ground instead of my face. This hits the shoulders a lot harder which is what I think I want.

B1. band retraction - red cord x 5 x 10

Skipped ecc MU today because I'm still letting my hand heal and I didn't wanna rip it open again.

Hunter Laing
12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Tue 12-17-13
ph1a-wk3

am - EQ

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
B2. one leg GM - 3 x 5 each side

C2. shinbox hip raise - 5 x 5 each side

E1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Wed 12-18-13
ph1a-wk3

am - SASa1

joints
wrists
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle half press HS - 5 x 4

B2. k2e - 5 x 10

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A2. arch scap pull - 5 x 15 sec

B2. skin the cat - 5 x 3

C1. YTWL's - 2# x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Thu 12-19-13
ph1a-wk3

am - EQ/BASa2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

D1. elevated back bridge hold - 1 x 15 sec
D2. elevated straddle up - 1 x 5

E1. 1 seated MU + 1 ring dip - 1 rep every 1:30 x 15

The clicking I get in my left shoulder while doing dips or when pressing into a rto support position went away today when I focused on using my left pec to press to the top.

_______

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6
A2. DFD pushup / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6

B1. band retraction - red cord x 2 x 10

Hunter Laing
12-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Sun 12-22-13
ph1a-wk3

am - SASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle half press HS - 2 x 4
A2. lower to adv tuck FL hold - 2 x 15 sec

B1. planche lean - 2 x 15 sec
B2. k2e - 2 x 10

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 2 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A2. arch scap pull - 5 x 15 sec

B2. skin the cat - 5 x 3

C1. YTWL's - 2# x 3 x 5

Hunter Laing
12-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Mon 12-23-13
ph2i-wk1

am - EQa1/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

D1. frog stand hold - 3 x 15 sec
D2. weighted tri lat stretch - 3 x 20 sec

E1. ring chin / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
E2. elevated DFD pushup / 30x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

I'm gunna move to a harder chin up variation, but stick with the same HSPU progression for another session before maybe moving to ecc HSPU.

F1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 5 x 6

Time to up the weight.

G1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring series - 3 times through

The ring series that I will be working on for a while is: 1 muscle up, the 1 forward roll, then a 3 sec L sit, then a 3 sec tuck shoulder stand, back to a 3 sec L sit, then 3 dips, 1 eccentric MU to inverted hang, then a 3 sec back lever, pull to 3 sec front lever. This kills my grip.

B1. incline rope climb - 5 x 3 trips
B2. up/down lizard crawl - 5 x ~30 ft

Fun stuff. Rope climbing is really hard on my grip right now, and the lizard crawl feels very awkward right now.

C1. cuban rotation - 10# x 4 x 10

Used two 5# dbs for this, while holding a pvc pipe to mimic a barbell.

Hunter Laing
12-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Tue 12-24-13
ph2i-wk1

am - EQb/LB1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

D1. goblet squat / 41x1 - 35# x 5 x 5
D2. kb swing - 53# x 5 x 10

E1. kit calf raise - 5 x 5 each side

F1. ankle conditioning

______

pm - EQc

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

C1. HS body line wall drill - 2 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip raise - 2 x 5 each side

D1. HS toe pull - 3 x 5

There were tough. I fell a couple of times, but twice I got my alignment really well and had 8-10 sec holds.

E1. frog stand - 3 x 15 sec
E2. weighted tri lat stretch - 15# x 3 x 15 sec

Hunter Laing
12-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Thu 12-26-13
ph2i-wk1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS / 3512 - 7 x 2
A2. pull to tuck FL hold - 7 x 7 sec

B1. tuck Lsit to tuck PL - 7 x 3
B2. HLR - 7 x 3

C1. YTWLs - 2#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. tuck rings L sit - 7 x 10 sec
A2. arch scap hang - 7 x 10 sec

B1. low straddle L - 7 x 10 sec
B2. pull from hang to inverted hang, lower to 5 sec BL, then 5 sec GH, pull back to invert hang, lower to 5 sec FL ecc - 7 x 1

C1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 3# x 3 x 5 each side

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
12-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Mon 12-30-13
ph2i-wk2

am - EQa/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

D1. frog stand hold - 2 x 15 sec
D2. weighted tri lat stretch - 2 x 20 sec

E1. max rep MU - 3, 3f, 2

F1. towel assisted one arm chin / 31x1 - 7 x 1 each side
F2. elevated DFD pushups - 7 x 3

G1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 6 each side

H1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring routine - 3 time through

Fack this was hard. Missed the forward roll the second time through and barely made it the third time. Shoulder stand is getting better though.

B1. rope chin - 8 x 3 alt top hand every set
B2. parallette pushups / 31x1 - 8 x 3

C1. cuban rotation / 4020 - 10# x 4 x 10

Hunter Laing
01-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Thu 1-2-14
ph2i-wk2

am - SASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS / 3512 - 3 x 2
A2. pull to tuck FL hold - 3 x 7 sec

B1. PL lean - 3 x 7 sec
B2. HLR - 3 x 3

C1. unilateral trap3 raise - 3# x 2 x 5 each side

Hunter Laing
01-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Sat 1-4-14
ph2i-wk2

am - EQa(d)/BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches

straddle
scaps

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 1 x 5 each side

B1. front body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
B2. one leg GM - 1 x 5 each side

C1. HS body line wall drill - 1 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip raise - 1 x 5 each side

D1. frog stand hold - 1 x 15 sec
D2. weighted tri lat stretch - 2 x 20 sec

E1. max rep MU pull - 4

F1. towel assisted one arm chin / 31x1 - 3 x 1 each side
F2. elevated DFD pushups - 3, 2, 2

G1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 1 x 10 each side

________

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring routine - 1 time through

B1. rope chin - 3 x 3 alt top hand every set
B2. elevated parallette pushups / 31x1 - 3 x 3

Doing deload sessions because I'm fighting a cold and I want it gone before my upcoming job interviews.

Hunter Laing
01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Mon 1-6-13
ph2i-wk3

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS / 3512 - 7 x 2
A2. pull to tuck FL hold - 7 x 7 sec

B1. PL lean - 7 x 7 sec
B2. HLR - 7 x 3

C1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 5#s x 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. tuck rings L sit - 7 x 10 sec
A2. arch scap hang - 7 x 10 sec

B1. low straddle L - 7 x 10 sec
B2. pull from hang to inverted hang, lower to 5 sec BL, then 5 sec GH, pull back to invert hang, lower to 5 sec FL - 7 x 1

C1. ytwls - 3# x 3 x 5

Hunter Laing
01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Tue 1-7-14
ph2i-wk3

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. max rep MU pull - 4, 3, 3

B1. towel chin / 41x1 - 7 x 1 each side
B2. elevated DFD pushups / 30x1 - 7 x 2

C1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 6# x 4 x 6

D1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring routine - 3 times through

Hunter Laing
01-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Thu 1-9-14
ph2i-wk3

am - SASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS / 3512 - 3 x 2
A2. pull to tuck FL hold - 3 x 7 sec

B1. PL lean - 3 x 7 sec
B2. HLR - 3 x 3

C1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 5#s x 2 x 5

Hunter Laing
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Sun 1-12-14
ph3a-wk1

BASa

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. seated MU - 2 reps every 1:30 x 7

B1. chin up / 31x1 - 6, 5, 5, 4, 3
B2. ring dip / 31x1 - 6, 6, 5, 5, 4

C1. band retraction - 5 x 10

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Mon 1-13-14
ph3a-wk1

SASb

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. tuck rings L sit + rto support - 5 x 10 sec + 10 sec
A2. arch scap pull w/ 5 sec hang on last rep - 5 x 5

B1. bent leg straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang pull - 5 x 3

C1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 3# x 3 x 10 each side

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Wed 1-15-13
ph3a-wk1

BASb

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring routine - 3 times through

B1. rope ground row / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6
B2. parallette pushups / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6

C1. cuban rotation / 4020 - 6# x 3 x 10

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Thu 1-16-14
ph3a-wk1

SASa

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle press HS - 5 x 3
A2. lower to tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

B1. HS wall runs - 5 x 10
B2. HLR - 5 x 5

C1. YTWLs - 2#s x 5 x 5

D1. kb swing - 1.5pd x 20

Hunter Laing
01-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Sat 1-18-14
ph3a-wk1

BASa

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. seated MU - 2 reps every 1:30 x 8

B1. chin up / 31x1 - 6, 6, 5, 5, 4
B2. ring dip / 31x1 - 6, 6, 5*, 4, 3

*missed last rep

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Sun 1-19-14
ph3a-wk1

SASb

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A2. arch scap hang - 5 x 15 sec

B1. L sit - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang pull - 5 x 4

C1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 3# x 4 x 10 each side

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Mon 1-20-14
ph3a-wk2

BASb

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring routine x 3

B1. rope row / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6
B2. DFD pushup / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6

C1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 3 x 10 each side

Hunter Laing
01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Tue 1-21-14
ph3a-wk2

SASa

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle press HS - 5 x 4
A2. lower to tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

B1. HS wall runs - 5 x 10
B2. HLR - 5 x 5

C1. YTWLs - 2#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
1-23-14
ph3a-wk2

BASa

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. seated MU - 2 reps every 1:30 x 9

B1. chin up / 30x1 - 6, 6, 5, 5, 4
B2. ring dip / 30x1 - 6, 6, 5, 4, 4

Hunter Laing
01-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Mon 1-27-14
ph3a-wk3

SASb

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A2. arch scap hang - 5 x 15 sec

B1. bent leg straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang pull - 5 x 4

D1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Tue 1-28-14
ph3a-wk3

BASb

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring routine x 3

B1. rope row / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
B2. DFD pushup / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

C1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
02-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Mon 2-3-14
ph4i/f - wk1

Ia

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. max rep seated MU - 4, 3, 3

B1. half straddle press HS against wall / 3512 - 5 x 2
B2. pull to FL hold - 5 x 7 sec

C1. HSPU ecc / 81-- - 5 x 2
C2. towel asst OAC / 41x1 - 5 x 1 each side

D1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 5# x 3 x 6

E1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
02-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Tue 2-4-14
ph4i/f-wk1

F1-5

joints
wrist stretches

A1. bent hollow body hold - 4 x 24 sec
A2. cat cows - 4 x 5

B1. scap shrugs - 4 x 6
B2. swivel hips - 4 x 5

C1. incline pushup - 4 x 6
C2. german arm swings - 4 x 10

D1. hinge row - 4 x 6
D2. upright lat lean - 4 x 30 sec

Hunter Laing
02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Wed 2-5-14
ph4i/f-wk1

LB

joints
burg w/u

A1. power snatch - work to heavy 2, 90% x 4 x 2
b x 2 x 3
65 x 2
75 x 2
85 x 2
95 x 2
85 x 4 x 2

B1. power clean - work to heavy 1, 90% x 3 x 2
95 x 2 x 2
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
135 x 1
125 x 3 x 2

C1. rdl - 135 x 3 x 5
C2. hlr - 3 x 5

Hunter Laing
02-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Mon 2-10-14
ph4i/f-wk1 (for real)

Ia

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. max rep seated MU - 4, 3, 3

C1. band asst tuck planche - red x 5 x 7 sec
C2. arch scap hang - 5 x 7 sec

D1. parallette DFD pushup / 30x1 - 5 x 3
D2. tuck FL pullup / 31x1 - 5 x 3

E1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 3 x 10 each side

F1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Tue 2-11-14
ph4i/a-wk1

F1-6

joints
wrist stretches

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. bent hollow body hold - 4 x 36 sec
B2. cat cows - 4 x 5

C1. scap shrugs - 4 x 9
C2. swivel hips - 4 x 5

D1. incline pushup - 4 x 9
D2. german arm swings - 4 x 10

E1. hinge row - 4 x 9
E2. upright lat lean - 4 x 30 sec

Hunter Laing
02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Wed 2-12-14
ph4i/f-wk1

LB

A1. power snatch + hang power snatch - 2rm, 4x2@90%
b x 2 x 3
75 x 2 x 2
80 x 2
85 x 2
90 x 2
95 x 2
100 x 2
90 x 4 x 2

B1. deadlift - 3rm, 1x10@80%
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 3
265 x 3
215 x 10

Hunter Laing
02-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Fri 2-14-14
ph4i/f-wk1

Ib

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. max rep seated MU - 4, 4, 3f

B1. half straddle press HS against wall / 3512 - 5 x 2
B2. FL hold - 5 x 7 sec

C1. HSPU ecc / 81-- - 3 x 2
C2. towel asst OAC / 41x1 - 3 x 1 each side

D1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 3# x 3 x 10

E1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
02-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Sat 2-15-14
ph4i/f-wk1

F1-6

joints
wrist stretches

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. bent hollow body hold - 4 x 36 sec
B2. cat cows - 4 x 5

C1. scap shrugs - 4 x 9
C2. swivel hips - 4 x 5

D1. incline pushup - 4 x 9
D2. german arm swings - 4 x 10

E1. hinge row - 4 x 9

Hunter Laing
02-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Mon 2-17-14
ph4i/f-wk2

Ia

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. max rep seated MU - 4, 4, 3

C1. band asst tuck planche - red x 4 x 7 sec
C2. arch scap hang - 4 x 7 sec

D1. parallette DFD pushup / 30x1 - 4 x 3
D2. towel asst OAC / 41x1 - 4 x 1 each side

E1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
02-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Tue 2-18-14
ph4i/f-wk2

F1-7

joints
wrist stretches

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. bent hollow body hold - 5 x 36 sec
B2. cat cows - 5 x 5

C1. scap shrugs - 5 x 9
C2. swivel hips - 5 x 5

D1. incline pushup - 5 x 9
D2. german arm swings - 5 x 10

E1. hinge row - 4 x 9, 1x8
E2. upright lat lean - 5 x 30 sec

Hunter Laing
02-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Wed 2-19-14
ph4i/f-wk2

LB

A1. box squat - 3x5
b x 2 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 3 x 5

B1. deadlift - max trip
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 3
265 x 3
275 x 3

Hunter Laing
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Thu 2-20-14
ph4i/f-wk2

Ib

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

B1. wall HS trap 3 raise - 4 x 5
B2. FL hold - 4 x 7 sec

C1. HSPU ecc / 81-- - 3 x 2
C2. towel asst OAC / 41x1 - 3 x 1 each side

D1. unilateral trap 3 raise - 3# x 3 x 10

E1. wrist conditioning

Hunter Laing
02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Sat 2-22-14
ph4i/f-wk2

am - F1-7

joints
wrist stretches

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. bent hollow body hold - 5 x 36 sec
B2. cat cows - 5 x 5

C1. scap shrugs - 5 x 9
C2. swivel hips - 5 x 5

D1. incline pushup - 5 x 9

E1. hinge row - 4 x 9

________

pm - LB

A1. low bar squat - 3 x 5
b x 2 x 5
95 x 5
1155 x 5
135 x 3 x 5

B1. deadlift - max trip
135 x 5
185 x 3
235 x 3
255 x 3
275 x 3
285 x 3

Hunter Laing
02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Mon 2-24-14
ph4i/f-wk3

Ia

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

B1. max rep seated MU - 4, 4, 4

C1. band asst tuck planche - red x 4 x 7 sec
C2. arch scap hang - 4 x 7 sec

D1. parallette DFD pushup / 30x1 - 4 x 3
D2. towel asst OAC / 41x1 - 4 x 1 each side

E1. wrist conditioning

_______

Tue 2-25-14
ph4i/f-wk3

F1-8(d)

joints
wrist stretches

A1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5

B1. bent hollow body hold - 5 x 18 sec
B2. cat cows - 5 x 5

C1. scap shrugs - 5 x 5
C2. swivel hips - 5 x 5

D1. incline pushup - 5 x 5

E1. hinge row - 5 x 5
E2. upright lat lean - 5 x 30 sec

Hunter Laing
04-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Time to start updating again. I've still been doing the bodyweight stuff, although not as consistently as I was in the past. I've also started deadlifting, somewhat sporadically, as I'm having issues with my left knee when I take it past 90 degrees.

I've just returned from a week in Aruba where I was drinking literally all day every day, and I didn't do anything for the week before that.

Unfortunately, I've got a funeral to go to this week, so I may not get in all the sessions I had planned, but I'll use this week as a sort of breaking in period and I'll start hitting it hard again next week.

I'm trying to get more serious about this over the next couple months because I've got a trip to Spain coming up in July and I want to be looking good on those spanish beaches.

Tue 4-1-14
ph1a-wk0

SASa

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall straddle HS press - 5 x 3

B1. band resisted scap shrug - purp x 5 x 6
B2. HLR - 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

D1. wrist strengthening