PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Lifter: Volume Question

Zev Finnley
10-15-2013, 03:48 PM
I began Olympic Lifting 3 years ago as part of my strength training for collegiate rowing. I recently began training the olympic lifts exclusively. I respond to volume well as a result of my previous training, but need to improve my maximal lifts quite a bit. Should I follow a program that is higher in volume or one that has more maximal training? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Blake Barnes
10-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Training with higher intensity will help improve your capacity for a heavier max. But I believe you need to follow a structured program that will help develop the body to take on that increased intensity.

There are several training cycles available on this site:

http://www.catalystathletics.com/workouts/cycles.php

Zev Finnley
10-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Blake!
I just finished the catalyst cycle based on the Russian squat cycle and it was great. Since I handle volume well would you recommend something like kara's 9 weeks of heaven or something with less volume like the Bulgarian cycle from Coach Everett book?

Blake Barnes
10-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Actually, I wouldn't recommend either of those cycles for you at this point in time. Kara's 9 Weeks of Heaven has a ton of Back Squat volume which seems pointless for you since you just got done doing the Russian Squat Cycle.

During the Russian Squat Cycle, your classic lifts don't ever go over 80% (and I think that was for a single on just one day) because the focus is the Back Squat. So it seems pointless to go right into a cycle that has you maxing out on your classic lifts everyday.

I would get into a cycle that focuses more on the classic lifts.

Charlie Reynolds
10-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Actually, I wouldn't recommend either of those cycles for you at this point in time. Kara's 9 Weeks of Heaven has a ton of Back Squat volume which seems pointless for you since you just got done doing the Russian Squat Cycle.

During the Russian Squat Cycle, your classic lifts don't ever go over 80% (and I think that was for a single on just one day) because the focus is the Back Squat. So it seems pointless to go right into a cycle that has you maxing out on your classic lifts everyday.

I would get into a cycle that focuses more on the classic lifts.

Maybe try some classic periodization initially for 12-16 weeks, doing classic, pull and squat most sessions, then focus more on 1-3 for a period and then slightly more focus on 1-2, several working sets, 85%+ in the latter stages.

Greg has some great programmes and Blake will know which ones are more or less appropriate.

Here's some more food for thought:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/petrosino-quick-flip-concurrent-training/