PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pos in the front rack?

Peter Möller
11-25-2013, 09:50 AM
As the title says I´m a bit confused on the proper shoulder position in the front rack.
I thought that it was neccessary to protract in order for the bar to be supported by the shoulders, and if I remember correctly the DVD guide also says "shoulder will have to come forward"?
Anyway looking at some stuff from K-Starr, I get the impression that he wants the shoulders to be retracted as this position is much more stable?
So here I am confused as ever, because my shoulders can´t support the bar when retracting. If I retract it rests more on the upper arm.
Would anyone try clearing this out a bit, or should I just send Kelly a mail?:)

Here are some of the videos showing "shoulder forward bad"....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q0Elx93duAA#t=77 at about 1:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UhAbFc8Hr-Q#t=149
at 2:29

Blake Barnes
11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
You answered your own question. If you retract the shoulders in the rack position, you lose your rack. The shoulders need to up forward as needed to support the bar properly. Notice he never actually demonstrates with a barbell.

Although the shoulders do need to be retracted when the bar is overhead.

Peter Möller
11-27-2013, 08:35 AM
This is why I´m a bit confused. I´m by no means a guru so I try to absorb all the pointers I can get. But I asked the question on the mobwod forum and kind of got the impression that something was off in my form as I can´t support the bar and retract my shoulders at the same time.

Tamara Reynolds
11-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I THINK that you and Kelly are talking about two different things. I looked in his book last night, and I think he means to retract your scapula so that you keep a tight upper back. This would be different from the position of your delts where you hold the bar. Honestly, I am not really sure what he means, though. His description in the book is quite difficult to follow and talks most about torque and "screwing" the arms into place. It's not at all how I cue a solid rack position.

Charlie Reynolds
11-29-2013, 10:15 AM
push your shoulders forward and up so that you can balance the bar on them with your hands down by your sides - forget the confusing cue from starrett...

Peter Möller
12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
push your shoulders forward and up so that you can balance the bar on them with your hands down by your sides - forget the confusing cue from starrett...

I can´t be confused! Everything has to make sense!
:D