PDA

View Full Version : Using mental power to control hormones...interested?

Garrett Smith
03-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Okay folks, I'm putting it out here first.

I have a colleague/friend, Vladimir Stefanishin, who is a Russian psychologist. He created/figured out a technique that he calls PSR, or Progressive Self Regulation (www.pro-self.com, under construction right now, I didn't know that until I just went there). He has had very, very positive results with many of his clients in terms of strength, endurance, and even complete control of some of their autonomic functions (blood flow to particular areas, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.).

Basically, he wants to find out what is happening with the technique in regards to strength and endurance. He and I assume that it is affecting hormonal physiology (that's the intention in the work, so that's where we'll look first).

This is not going to be a formal study (not yet at least). We're looking to find some folks who will help us out so everyone benefits.

My vision right now is of doing some saliva hormone tests pre- and post- workout for the acute changes, and blood tests before and after one goes through the coaching/training to see the more long-term picture as well.

If you are interested, stay tuned to this thread, I'll give more info as I discuss things with Vladimir more.

For those of you who know me through the CF boards, please know that I do believe in this technique and I have felt the basic effects from it. I've only been through one session and I'm looking forward to more.

David Wood
03-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Garrett: I'm interested. (I'm a complete sucker for this sort of stuff.)

Not sure how much I can help with tests (even as a guinea pig; I'm not able to train all that much right now). But I *am* very interested.

The link you provided actually seems to have been claimed by a legal self-help service?

Allen Yeh
03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.proself.com/

David Wood
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
. . . ahh . . .

-Ross Hunt
03-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Neat-o, tell us more about this.

Legal hormone manipulation=Strength.

Dave Van Skike
03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
it's all legal, somewhere....

Robb Wolf
03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
. . . ahh . . .

David, who the HECK let YOU in!:)

-Ross Hunt
03-28-2007, 06:44 PM
it's all legal, somewhere....

Everything may be legal in the sport of fitness, but my intuition tells me that USAW officials don't look kindly on a weekly trip to Tijuana to 'take in the sights.'

Allison Barns
03-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Dr. G,
I'm interested. Let me know the who/what/when/where...
I'm constantly interested in trying to figure myself out.

Allison

Steve Liberati
03-29-2007, 04:35 AM
okay you add my name to the list as well...

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 05:37 AM
If it involves looking at half naked women an hour before a workout for max test release....hell I'll give it a shot in the name of science.

Derek Simonds
03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
If it involves looking at half naked women an hour before a workout for max test release....hell I'll give it a shot in the name of science.

Brother you are doing it already why not in the name of science!

Garret I can't commit to the testing due to my current travel calendar, but I am really looking forward to seeing more information and the results.

Steven Low
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
I'd be up for something like this. :)

Jonas Lind
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
If it works - make sure you copyright it. Never know what will happen in the future.

Would like to try it as I need all the hormones I can get. But... no affiliate up here yet? (Santa Claus country)

David Wood
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
David, who the HECK let YOU in!:)
Rob: I snuck in back in October while you were busy with other issues. Clearly, someone wasn't vetting the applications carefully.

As you can tell by my post count, I'm more a lurker here than anything else. (Not doing much more than that anywhere, actually; work has been a serious fustercluck for months on end now.)

Garrett, you've got a bunch of people all wired up and anxious now . . . any more tidbits you could drop on us? (Of course, I notice that everyone wants the results, no one (including me) wants to volunteer for the tests . . . (sigh).)

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Rob: I snuck in back in October while you were busy with other issues. Clearly, someone wasn't vetting the applications carefully.

I believe Ron and Allen were working the door that night....I had the bar.....they are so getting fired.....

Jamila Bey
03-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Need a woman to take part too?

kevin mckay
03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I believe watching violent movies causes a slight neuro endocrine response as well, try watching a clockwork orange before your next workout.

Pierre Auge
03-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Jamila off topic but for a person so adamant against violence you have the most violent avatar I've ever seen! Good Job!