PDA

View Full Version : Snatch technique breakdown

Matt VanSchoyck
12-19-2013, 02:56 PM
For some reason when I snatch more than about 75% 1RM I default to power snatching. Up to 75%.I feel like I'm technically sound, but for some reason when it gets heavy I go to shit. My hang snatch 1rm is 195, my full snatch 1rm is 205 (lbs). What can I do to keep from sucking? Heavy hang snatches to force myself under the weight? Anyone have an idea?

Ryan Dritlein
12-19-2013, 08:11 PM
It's a mental game. The weight is heavy and you get scared, so you tense up the muscles and catch the bar up high.

As you mentioned.. practicing a snatch balance or drop snatch really helps with confidence under the bar.

As for speed getting under the bar, lighten the weight and practice tall or hang snatches and dropping under.

Film you self with your phone and use an app like the coaches eye. Very beneficial.

Good luck!

Blake Barnes
12-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't do anything to force yourself under the bar. You're just not confident in the bottom position (for the Snatch, at least). Start with some Overhead Squats then gradually make that movement more dynamic. For example, Drop Snatches then Snatch Balances. But whatever it is that you do, I would hold that bottom position for 2-3 seconds to help develop that comfort.

Charlie Reynolds
12-21-2013, 02:03 PM
It's usually a head thing and perhaps you did a lot of power snatch previously and maybe still do?

If your form is good you can power snatch to max, keep going and you will then start catching lower. Other tricks include doing doubles, the first power, second classic; if you go heavy you might naturally stop power snatching the first one (classic then power also works and usually forces you to sit in on the second one eventually). Another approach is to eliminate power snatches altogether, at least for a few weeks/months.