PDA

View Full Version : Abandon the back squat after lower back injury?

Nicholas Rudawski
04-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone,

About 2 weeks ago, I injured my lower back (mild to moderate strain or sprain) trying to back squat 80% for 3 reps. It was a weight/rep scheme I'd done countless times before, much to my chagrin. At any rate, while I rehab and heal, the thought crossed my mind: could I just abandon the back squat and only front squat? The reasons why this crossed my mind were:

1. The frustrating and seemingly random injury that I experienced back squatting a weight that should have presented no problem.

2. The front squat has more "carryover" to weightlifting

3. All evidence (that I am aware of) indicates that potential for lower back injury is far less with the front squat.

Any thoughts and comments on this would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to deal with another frustrating injury like this again.

Thanks,

Nick

Patrick Haskell
04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Abandon is a strong word. What are your goals? Is this specifically related to weightlifting? How is your mobility? How is your core stability? Answer those questions, and you'll probably get a more meaningful answer out of someone more knowledgeable than I.

FWIW, after the 4th time I tweaked my lower back - back squat 2x, deadlift 2x, I decided that I would avoid heavy versions of either and focus on front squats and clean pulls, while I work on my mobility and do additional core work, but I'm not training for my next meet anymore. I'm just trying to stay healthy and strong. Still, I don't know if I'm abandoning either lift, per se. I guess it depends on how well things go over the next several months.