PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the credit?

Mike ODonnell
03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Just curious...when the IF thing makes it's way to Hollywood and Oprah's Trainer picks up the PM and makes her do it....then she goes on TV telling every woman in America to do it...and Bob Greene writes a best selling book about it making millions.....who's name do I say when yelling at the book cover in Barnes and Noble..."He F&#^* stole ________ idea...." Who is the person who is the first real resident expert on IF and fat loss....Robb?.....DeVanny?.....Some guy in Sweeden?....Jack LaLanne?

Steve Liberati
03-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Robb may very well have a legitimate shot! Ironically, I just wrote a long post on some bodybuilding message board where I'm a long standing member touting the benefits of IF. Referenced Robb's name like five times in the post. So when a a wave of muscleheads start flooding the board praising Robb and worshipping his God like status, don't get mad at me. Just send me my commission checks when PM Journal subscriptions go through the roof:)

Allen Yeh
03-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Just curious...when the IF thing makes it's way to Hollywood and Oprah's Trainer picks up the PM and makes her do it....then she goes on TV telling every woman in America to do it...and Bob Greene writes a best selling book about it making millions.....who's name do I say when yelling at the book cover in Barnes and Noble..."He F&#^* stole ________ idea...." Who is the person who is the first real resident expert on IF and fat loss....Robb?.....DeVanny?.....Some guy in Sweeden?....Jack LaLanne?

Most of my information was derived from Robb and the PM's

Pierre Auge
03-28-2007, 03:04 AM
I think I should get the credit, BECAUSE I SAID SO THAT'S WHY!

lol

Scott Kustes
03-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Back up suckers. I invented nutrition.

Greg Battaglia
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't think Robb gets full credit. I do think he's made a huge contribution to making IF more well known, and has been incredibly helpful in properly implementing IF. Ori hofmekler was the first person that I know of that recommended a form of IF. Everyone gave him shit in the beginning, claiming it was a fad diet, not scientifically plausible, etc. I agreed with him all along. Now the science is here to back up a lot of what he was saying before Mark Mattson even discovered the benefits of IF. You could also argue that Devany was the first to be doing IF, as he's been doing it for years now; only problem is that he didn't introduce it publicly until starting his website. If someone asked me who started the IF revolution, I'd say Ori Hofmekler. If they asked who expanded on it, and who really helped me to understand the biochemical effects, etc of IF, I'd certainly say Robb. They both get credit, along with Devany, in my opinion.

Neal Winkler
03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
If Robb becomes famous I hope he invites all of us original PM members to Hollywood party and introduces me to Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. With my girlfriends permission of course...

Robb Wolf
03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
If Robb becomes famous I hope he invites all of us original PM members to Hollywood party and introduces me to Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. With my girlfriends permission of course...

dude! Apparently I'm a "minor league fitness celeb"...I'm famous biotch! (honk, honk). Party at MOD's...I'll do my best to get Natalie (that's what her friends call her) to show up.

I think Ori was suuuper early on this. I never read the WD until recently and it would only take a few tweaks to alter it to what we have talked about. Ori was talking about under/over eating without actual FASTING...but it would not be hard to alter his prescription (and the food recommendations) to make it fit what I've cooked up. He deserves big props on this.

Scotty Hagnas deserves some big credit in all this. He and I talked about this for almost 23 years before I wrote anything about it. The research was REALLY compelling but it flew in the face of everything in the standard bodybuilding/ athlete world. He actually got in and experimented and the fact he did not die or whither away (his performance improved markedly in some areas) gave me the guts to hang this thing out there to see if it works.

Yael Grauer
03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
dude! Apparently I'm a "minor league fitness celeb"...I'm famous biotch! (honk, honk).

Actually, you're a fitness celebrity starlet. Keep up!

Scotty Hagnas
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Robb. I probably wouldn't have given IF a go if not for you, though!

Actually, that's 2-3 years, not 23. Twenty three years ago, I was quite excited that McDonald's was opening in my small hometown, and I downed 3-4 bowls of cereal every morning. I got my exercise by lugging my pudgy butt around!

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Robb Wolf
03-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Robb. I probably wouldn't have given IF a go if not for you, though!

Actually, that's 2-3 years, not 23. Twenty three years ago, I was quite excited that McDonald's was opening in my small hometown, and I downed 3-4 bowls of cereal every morning. I got my exercise by lugging my pudgy butt around!

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

You have aged well my friend!

Mike ODonnell
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I really need to re-read Warrior Diet....funny i read that like 2-3 years ago thinking this guy is a kook....now I am sure I would have a completely different take on it....and actually get something out of it.....

Allen Yeh
03-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Scotty Hagnas deserves some big credit in all this. He and I talked about this for almost 23 years before I wrote anything about it.

I was thinking...holy cow 23 years ago?? Just how old are Robb and Scotty?

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 05:39 AM

Jedi masters can live to be 1000+

Scott Kustes
03-29-2007, 06:14 AM
You and me both friend. I was thinking "Robb's in his 30s (can't remember where in his 30s) so he's been discussing IF since sometime between age 7 and 14." I know he's a genius and all, but that's downright Doogie Howser!

Billy_Brummel
03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
I know he's a genius and all, but that's downright Doogie Howser!

Doogie Howser as in gay or Doogie Howser as in boy genius?

Robb Wolf
03-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Doogie Howser as in gay or Doogie Howser as in boy genius?

Damn ugly picture either way.

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Doogie Howser as in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle...

"Forget White Castle. Let's go get some p*ssy.
Huh? - It's a sausage-fest in here.
Let's get us some poontang. Then we'll go to White Castle.
No, Neil, you don't understand. We've been craving these burgers all night.
Yeah, I've been craving burgers, too... fur burgers.
Come on, dudes, let's pick up some trim at a strip club.
The Doogie line always works on strippers.
Lap danceeeeeee. "

Scott Kustes
03-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Awesome movie MOD. I used to work with a guy that hung out with Kumar one night...a friend of a friend or something. So I know a guy that got drunk with Kumar. That makes me cool or something.

Robb Wolf
03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Awesome movie MOD. I used to work with a guy that hung out with Kumar one night...a friend of a friend or something. So I know a guy that got drunk with Kumar. That makes me cool or something.
Scott, among the Geeks of Fitness you my freiend are at the TOP of the turd pile. Hold your head high Amigo!

Greg Battaglia
03-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Mike, I actually did a little skimming over the WD recently and realized how spot on Ori actually was to begin with. I don't recall the exact page #, but he mentions that sometimes he goes entire days with out any food at all, other days he'll eat 5-6 small meals, sometimes a little healthy snacking during the day, sometimes no snacking at all, just water. Sounds pretty Paleo/Devanyish if you ask me (in terms of variety w/fasting included). His recommendations for meal composition are incredibly accurate as well. "Eat for the next day" he says, which is so true. If you're gonna be doing a met-con tmr, you better start getting in some starch to fill glycogen. If you're going to be sedentary, stick with meat and veggies. The dude is pretty accurate.

Pierre Auge
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm claiming myself cool by the fact that I read tried and adopted the WD like 2+ years ago! That makes me really cool!!! :cool:

I even recommended it to Robb quite a while ago but I think he looked at me like I was from space, YOU'RE FROM SPACE! :eek:

Ok I'm over it now nothing to see here :rolleyes:

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm claiming myself cool by the fact that I read tried and adopted the WD like 2+ years ago! That makes me really cool!!!

Actually Pierre....if you learned nothing from high school....cool is doing something when it is in....WD...so in today......not so cool 2 years ago......so you were/are not as cool as you think you are, in fact....doing the WD 2 years ago is on the same level as working out with the bean today.....crazy now...but in 2 years...who knew it really was that good!!

So do I like own the PM by takeover now that I have more posts than Robb or Greg? Can I at least get some sort of minor leauge disgruntled member status?

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
BTW.....has anyone seen that there is actually a NEW version of the Warrior Diet....the 2nd edition 2007?? Also did anyone read his book maximum muscle, minimum fat? Supposedly it was the Warrior Diet on Nerd steriods....aka super technical and detailed...something that Robb would probably love to death.....I'm almost tempted to get the 2nd edition....if I already hadn't spent my weekly allowance on LL Cool J's book....

my bad...looks like the 2nd edition isn't shipping until Dec 07...maybe he needs that extra time to see on here what else he needs to add. Something tells me it will involve pwo nutrient timing...and maybe some pictures of Pierre...not sure yet...

Robb Wolf
03-31-2007, 08:02 AM
BTW.....has anyone seen that there is actually a NEW version of the Warrior Diet....the 2nd edition 2007?? Also did anyone read his book maximum muscle, minimum fat? Supposedly it was the Warrior Diet on Nerd steriods....aka super technical and detailed...something that Robb would probably love to death.....I'm almost tempted to get the 2nd edition....if I already hadn't spent my weekly allowance on LL Cool J's book....

my bad...looks like the 2nd edition isn't shipping until Dec 07...maybe he needs that extra time to see on here what else he needs to add. Something tells me it will involve pwo nutrient timing...and maybe some pictures of Pierre...not sure yet...

The max muscle book I think was pretty standard 6 meal/day stuff...I'll dig around the book store to see.

Yael Grauer
03-31-2007, 09:00 AM
I tried WD for a while--it was just fruit and veg and such during the day (maybe a little bit of protein) and then a huge huge meal at night. Or some people do the huge meal mid-day. It worked okay for a while, but when I was working out hard during the day it just gave me bad headaches and I was hungry all the time.

Scotty Hagnas
03-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Robb-

Actually, the Max Muscle/min fat book is on fasting. Lots of geek stuff, for sure - you'd love it. I'll let you borrow my copy if you want.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Robb Wolf
04-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Robb-

Actually, the Max Muscle/min fat book is on fasting. Lots of geek stuff, for sure - you'd love it. I'll let you borrow my copy if you want.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

thanks Scotty! I'll order one from our local book store. gotta support the locals!

Neal Winkler
04-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Scotty,

Would you be willing to sell your copy? I'll even buy it if you read it in the bathroom and it's full of Scotty poop particles! tee hee! :)

Mike ODonnell
04-01-2007, 08:06 PM

He talks about "minimal eating" for 20 hours which could be fasting....but he also mentions people may need small protein during the day if their goal is muscle gain...but I didn't see any numbers on what he considered "minimal".....

Neal Winkler
04-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Nevrmind Scotty, I already got a copy. Thanks anyway!