PDA

View Full Version : Push press/snatch balance technique

Patrick Steele
04-08-2014, 02:32 AM
I would really appreciate some advice on these two videos. Snatch balance and push press. Thanks a bunch!

I recently (with the help of my father) built a platform and the jerk blocks on this site and have no local coach.

Push Press:
AZqt6MHZn0Y

Snatch Balance:

OqlHQ0GyNa0

Patrick Steele
04-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I apologize. I'm a dumbass and couldn't figure out how to embed the links.

I'd appreciate any help/critique. Thanks a bunch!

Patrick

Blake Barnes
04-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi Patrick,

Push Press-
You need to have a more aggressive drive with the legs. The movement requires that you keep your feet from leaving the platform but you can still drive a little harder with the legs. On the first rep, you re-bend your knees to drop under the bar. Make sure that after you push with the legs you keep them locked out and finish with the arms. It would be a little better to see the feet on these but I can tell that you need a little more push with the legs.

Snatch Balance-
After you heave the bar upward you need to immediately and aggressively punch the bar to a lockout as you ride it down into a squat. Your lockout is a little soft (especially on the last two).

Here's the demo video we have on the website: https://www.catalystathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=80

The platform and jerk blocks look good by the way.

Patrick Steele
04-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Blake,

Thanks a bunch for the comments. I will try and get a better drive and definitely keep my legs locked out since it is a push press and not a jerk.

I appreciate all the help.

Daniel Villarreal
04-10-2014, 04:25 AM
I also seem to detect a slight wobble with each rep in the snatch balance (particularly in and near the bottom). You might benefit from overhead work (snatch balances, OHS etc.) with a prolonged pause at the bottom to gain some confidence and stability in that position.