PDA

View Full Version : My jerk sucks

Mitch Jordon
04-13-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm frustrated and looking for advice. My snatch and clean have come a long way and I've gotten a lot stronger than I was a year ago...but my jerk is preventing any big jump in my total. My next competition goal is to snatch 105-110k , but my clean and jerk pr is only 115k. I can clean 130-135k, but I can't jerk more than 115. I don't want to see a snatch of 110 and cj only 5k higher!

I often have "soft elbows" on my jerk, and it seems like I finish really high. I don't have good video right now, but I was looking for some general pointers that may get me out of my funk.

As always...thanks for providing such an awesome free resource for lifters!

Blake Barnes
04-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Mitch,

If you're finishing too high then try to make sure to keep that back knee soft when you split. When the weight gets heavier you're going to have to absorb that weight down a little bit to achieve a lockout. If the back leg is locked out you don't have any choice but to lean forward or press it out (while staying high).

The soft elbows also may be coming from some sort of movement restriction in the shoulders. It would help to have a video but there's my 2 cents.

Mitch Jordon
04-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks Blake...you're right on. My back leg is always straight. I can't seem to break that habit, any suggestions on drills or movements?

Here's a video I took today. Not the best but it shows footwork well. This is 215#...about 70# off my best clean and 40# from best jerk.

dyG7J5CUswA

Greg Everett
04-18-2014, 08:16 AM
You're dipping a bit too deep and setting yourself up to shift forward already. Slightly shallower and force yourself to keep your chest back / hips under the shoulders. When you split, reach your hips and front heel forward and just let your back foot go where it's going to go (right now you're diving your head/chest onto the front foot, which means your front foot/hip isn't far enough forward and your back leg is stretched out too far.

You can do some jerk balances to get a feel for moving into the split with a nice upright trunk and reaching the hip/foot rather than the upper body first, and presses/push presses in the split position (front or behind the neck) will help get you comfortable in the split with proper balance.

Mitch Jordon
04-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks Greg! I appreciate the coaching points.

As always, thank you for bringing such a great resource to the weightlifting world...keep up the great work!