PDA

View Full Version : Clean Form Check

Florian Weber
04-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Been doing power cleans here and there, but now finally decided to get more serious, practice with lower weight and work on technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZbssZQFu6Q

Looks like I don't have full hip extension? Would appreciate feedback.

Yes, 60kg clean and Adipowers. I'm like a kid that just got a driving license with a Ferrari ;) Tried all sort of cheaper models, but they either had a heel slip or were painful tight despite wearing them in a few times.

Daniel Villarreal
04-16-2014, 03:21 AM
The lack of full extension seems to be due to two factors. First, you start with quite some speed off the ground, and there's no acceleration for the second pull. You want to start out at fairly conservative speeds as it't easy to rush over the second pull if you're going all out anyway. That enables you to truly explode with the second pull. You want that phase to really snap. So go slower at first and then explode after you've passed the knees. Second, you're pulling with your arms. This both makes the second pull inefficient and also means you've gone past your hips when you would be at full extension, so you sort of leave that phase out.

Also, you don't really go under the bar. You essentially power clean the weight to a very standing position and follow that fluidly with a front squat. You want to aggressively pull yourself under the bar and catch at a lower position. It's not to say power cleaning isn't a good thing, it's just that at a higher weight you'll be slow under the bar if you don't learn it right at first.

I'd spend some time doing clean pulls to get the timing of your second pull into better shape in terms of hip extension, shrug, then shoulder / arm pull. I'd also really focus on going slow at first and then truly exploding with the second pull. For getting under the bar I recommend hang cleans (and hang snatches, which for me for some odd reason have always better transferred into speed under the bar in cleans as well).

Blake Barnes
04-16-2014, 02:50 PM
I agree with Daniel. Bring the bar up slower and be patient before you extend. Make sure you're pushing the bar all the way into your body and drive straight up with the legs to elevate the bar (rather than using your arms).

Although I would say that it's optimal to receive the bar in a lower position. You always want to have a fast turnover. If that means you turn the bar over when your still above parallel then that's fine just ride it down into the squat. As the weight gets heavier, you'll only have so much leg power to elevate the bar so much. That will cause you to receive the bar at a lower position without slowing down the turnover.

I think Clean Pulls and Hang/Block Cleans will be good for you. Try some Halting Clean DLs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=185) as well to help smooth out that first pull and to make sure you're bringing the bar all the way in.

Florian Weber
04-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, guys! Really appreciate it. Will work on the stuff you mentioned.