PDA

View Full Version : Twisting on the Snatch

Troy Appleton
04-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Been struggling with this for a while now and I'm having trouble figuring out whats going on.

Just wondering if anyones experienced something similar or has any ideas of how to fix it?

Here are a few videos so you know what I'm talking about:
QI2kk0fXHj8
x7sq99u-u54

Thanks for any help!

Daniel Villarreal
04-22-2014, 11:12 AM
You do seem to do it on the c+j as well, it's just less pronounced. Based on the few missed snatches it seemed to originate from your right shoulder giving in, but the ones you managed to keep up longer or all the way didn't seem as clear cut.

I've actually wondered about this ever after watching some of those Klokov vids I hear a lot of buzz about where it's obvious he does he same thing. Well, I've yet to see him do 180 degrees but in principle.

Sorry I have no real insight here.

Edit. By "you do it in the c+j" I actually mean the clean part. It seems you're twisting a bit counter-clockwise already when coming out of the clean. This would lead me to think the issue is either a mid-section imbalance or leg imbalance, but I can't tell. Nor do I actually know, having never personally encountered this problem.

Jeez, way to leave out the whole point of the post.

Blake Barnes
04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
It looks like you're turning the bar all the way over on the left side and leaving the right side too far forward. It might be from lack of shoulder retraction on the right side.

Is there anything you do that would make your right shoulder tighter than your left?

Troy Appleton
04-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks for looking at it guys!

Not sure why my right would be tighter other than its my dominant hand. Im a student, so I sit with pen in hand all day everyday (shoulder forward and internally rotated). I've also had a few shoulder injuries in the past, but can't remember which shoulder I hurt...

Greg Everett
04-23-2014, 10:43 AM
It looks to me like the spinning is originating from your right shoulder - you're not getting the shoulder blade engaged fully, and it begins to drift down and forward, which then sets the bar to spinning, eventually too much to control. In your lighter lifts in the second video, you have a pretty good overhead position, but you're not able to achieve that in the heavier lifts. I would focus on things like snatch push press, press in snatch, and overhead squats and clean-grip overhead squats, EVERY REP completely and aggressively locked out - by locked out, I mean the shoulder blades retracted tightly and slightly upwardly rotated (imagine pinching the top inside edges together) and the elbows completely extended. Don't exceed weights where you can actually do that, or you won't be correcting the problem. Train that forceful, complete lockout daily with light snatch press or push press in addition to the days when you train it more heavily - think of it as a skill as well as something you have to strengthen.

I would also encourage you to see a good chiro or manual therapist who can check for and correct any rotation in the trunk or hips that may also be contributing. Chances are, even if that wasn't present originally, it is now after doing that rotation so much.

Troy Appleton
04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the help Greg! From your analysis, I think I'm on the right track. Just putting in the time now!