PDA

View Full Version : Valgus knees issue on Squat - Do I keep the weights heavy?

Jacqueline Davis-Bowen
05-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I've been lifting for about 2 years now and I'm still having issues with my squat.

I have great mobility and ok numbers (73kg bodyweight - 95kg front squat, 105kg back squat) and am able to squat with good form up to about 85-90% of my 1RM. Anything over that, or the last few reps of a heavy set of 3-5 and my knees cave in badly on my ascent. They get worse once I'm past parallel and on bad days will even touch at about 3/4 of the way up. However, this rarely prevents me from completing the squat. I just get a bit stuck when my knees cave in, then I push them out and finish the squat.

I've been told by my coaches that it is probably caused by my glutes not firing properly, and I do assistance work to try and help this.

My question is: If I can complete the squats even with the valgus knees should I continue squatting at these weights, or should I back off and only work at weights that I can keep my knees out on?

Greg Everett
05-07-2014, 10:40 AM
I would make sure those valgus squats are a small fraction of the total squat volume you're doing and continue pushing the corrective work. The knees actually touching is extreme, so I would definitely work hard to avoid that, but some valgus at 90%+ is not a huge deal IF you don't have existing knee problems.

Here is an article that might be helpful - http://www.catalystathletics.com/articles/article.php?articleID=1826