PDA

View Full Version : behind neck jerk hold protection

David Langston
05-08-2014, 05:23 PM
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but my search came up somewhat unhelpful. I'm doing a jerk behind the neck with a 3 second hold and I'm having issues letting the bar down on my shoulders during sets. Bad bruising on the back of my neck and between the shoulders. Do I simply need to place a piece of foam pipe insulation on the barbell? Is there something I'm missing?

Blake Barnes
05-08-2014, 11:43 PM
It's kind of hard to explain but basically you want to rise up onto the toes to bring your shoulders closer to the bar and let the bar fall smoothly onto the shoulders followed by absorbing the weight with your legs.

If that didn't make any sense then this video may help:
http://www.catalystathletics.com/media/video/video.php?videoID=357

Daniel Villarreal
05-09-2014, 12:29 AM
I've always thought of it in similar terms as a jump or drop down from, say, a box. Come down stiff-legged and it'll hurt. Same thing goes the other way round - drop a weight on your shoulder stiff legged and it'll hurt. The mechanics are essentially the same in terms of what you need to do. You need to receive it, as Blake said, by absorbing the weight dropping on your shoulders by using your legs.

I'd advise against using foam as it'll allow you to continue a bad habit. Let the bruising heal and then work on this technique instead.

David Langston
05-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Got it, thanks!

Blake Barnes
05-11-2014, 08:22 PM
It will take some time to get the timing down and you still may bruise a little bit (not really bad bruising) but that's not out of the ordinary.