PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting and catalyst cycles

David Langston
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Are there any of you that incorporate powerlifting into your olympic lifting cycles/programs. I did 5/3/1 for a long time, and I still do bench press once a week while I'm doing the front squat emphasis cycle. Is it too much to do 5/3/1 and a Catalyst cycle at the same time?

Greg Everett
05-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Is it too much to do 5/3/1 and a Catalyst cycle at the same time?

You'd be doing neither program.

David Langston
05-11-2014, 12:29 PM
You'd be doing neither program.

Then I'll do the Catalyst. Thanks.

David Langston
05-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Do you think I could just do the bench press for 5/3/1?

Greg Everett
05-12-2014, 02:31 PM
That would be fine

David Langston
05-12-2014, 02:33 PM
That would be fine

Great! Thanks!

Daniel Villarreal
05-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Somewhat related to this topic I was wondering how much general messing about you would find sensible when doing one of the Catalyst Athletics cycles? For example, my snatch technique was somehow all over the place a couple of days ago, so I went back to the gym in the evening (normally workout in the mornings) and just worked on technique for quite a while. Sure, I did a lot of stick / bar work, but then I went on to do quite a bit of work on low intensities. We’re talking singles and doubles at warm-up weights to max 50-60%. Would you advise against it or give it the green light – in terms of the exercise cycles and staying on track with one?

Blake Barnes
05-13-2014, 08:20 AM
I think that would depend mostly on where you're at in the training cycle and which program you're on but I don't have anything against doing extra stick/bar work. I probably wouldn't throw any weight on the bar even if it is 50%-60% just because these movements are pretty neurologically taxing and that might throw you off a little bit for the next day. Especially considering it was probably around 12 hours before your next training session.

If you have time, I would try to get the tech work done immediately after the that same training session rather than waiting to do it later that night.

Daniel Villarreal
05-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Sounds logical. Part of the reason I decided to go for an extra technique session was that I had a completely snatch-free workout for the next day, so I felt I could benefit from an extra session. Once I’d pinpointed exactly what was going wrong with the stick and the bar, I felt like I had to put some weight on to sort of cement the correct movement into “muscle memory”. Also, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t just thinking I had it down due to using so little weight I could possibly muscle through any errors, and felt I needed a bit of weight to check.

I do and will try to do technique work directly after workouts. It’s these damn time constraints, what with work and similar nuisances that get in the way of lifting. Can’t always have it my way.