PDA

View Full Version : Front Squat Critique

Florian Weber
05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Started to front squat once a week one month ago. I lower bar squat otherwise, plan to transition to high bar soon though. But so still gotta get used to the different back angle and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRAnzXImNFw

Knees further past the feet? Hips in more? I try to bring them in as much as possible, but they still look too far out. Any recommendations on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Blake Barnes
05-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah it looks like your hips are coming back some when you squat. Low bar back squatting puts people in a huge habit of bad posture anytime they squat down (including snatches and cleans). There also may be some mobility issues associated with your inability to keep your hips in but I can confidently say that low bar back squatting is a cause.

Think about sitting your hips straight down in between your ankles. Don't forcefully push your knees passed your toes and overcompensate. If your hips are underneath your shoulders then it will happen naturally.

Breaking this habit will take some time. Maybe a couple of months so be patient. I think doing Pause Back Squats (high bar of course) will help you get a better feel for how your posture is suppose to be.

Florian Weber
05-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks so much for the fast feedback, Blake.

Totally makes sense. I'm sure mobility is also part of the reason. Sitting all day, tight hips. But I'm working on fixing that as well.