PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Weightlifting For Sports vs Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide

Florian Weber
05-25-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm trying to learn the lifts on my own. Unfortunately I don't have a coach or somebody who could correct me as I train. I've been using Olympic Weightlifting For Sports as a resource to learn them.

I wonder, would I be better of using "Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches"? In some way, it seems like the first one might be better, since it seems simpler, more straight forward and less overwhelming.

My goal long term is to do weightlifting with some conditioning here and there. Not really doing any other sports. (Yes, I know... "for sports" is in the title. But I there is still a point about it being straight forward and less overwhelming ;)

What do you guys recommend? Thank you

Dan Appert
05-26-2014, 08:34 AM
I haven't read Olympic Weightlifting for Sports but I can tell you that Olympic Weightlifting a Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches is an outstanding resource. Initially I tried to learn the lifts using California strength's videos, but "jump and catch" wasn't enough instruction for me. I needed the second pull broken down to understand how to create power on the bar. The progressions in the book are fantastic, and now I can go back and use other resources like California Strength and Don Mccauley's drills on youtube. You may also find the other sections helpful, like nutrition, supplemental exercises, stretches, competition, etc. If lifting is your priority I think It's worth it.

Chad Gibbons
05-26-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm in the same position, haven't read for sports but the complete guide is awesome. It's what I used when I first started and it's a great base to start from. Each chapter also has condensed cliff note footers to give you the main points if you get overwhelmed with it or just want to start lifting. Can't go wrong with that book

Blake Barnes
05-26-2014, 08:37 PM
I've read both and I highly recommend the Complete Guide if you're trying to coach yourself. It can be very detailed but like Chad said there are cliff notes to make it less overwhelming.

The OW for Sports is more general as far as learning the lifts but that's because it condenses the teaching down for strength coaches' short time frame.

Florian Weber
05-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys. Will order it. There are no plans for an ebook version of it, right?

Florian Weber
05-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Bought the book as well as the multimedia quickstart guide. The quickstart guide looks amazing, exactly what I was looking for. Something that doesn't take shortcuts, but also isn't too overwhelming.

So I will think I will start off with that and once I have the basics down go into more detail with the book.