PDA

View Full Version : Percentages for younger athletes

Oscar Tyrberg
05-28-2014, 06:41 AM
Hey, I am 16 years old and have been following the current cycle for 3 weeks. Sometimes i feel like the percentages for some of the exercises are to low and feel very light, while some of the percentages feel very heavy and makes me struggle to keep proper form.

My current maxes are:
Clean and jerk: 92,5 kg
Snatch: 70 kg
Frontsquat 105 kg
Backsquat 110 kg

I feel like the full lifts and squats feel relatively light with the prescribed weights while for example complementary lifts feel alot heavier. Should I increase the load when the weight feels light or should I stick with it? Or maybe increase the reps? And when I struggle with the form should I decrease the load?

Thanks

Oscar

Blake Barnes
05-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Well it kind of depends on where you're at in the cycle. Some days are suppose to be light and some are suppose to be heavy. When the weight is heavy, it's natural for you to struggle to maintain proper form. If the weight is ridiculously light then I wouldn't be against increasing for the last set or even the last couple of sets but I wouldn't go as far as trying to reach a heavy single for the day.

Did you start this cycle from the beginning or did you jump in to where we are currently?

Oscar Tyrberg
05-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks, I started the cycle from the beginning and right now I am almost through week 3, so next week will be the first deload week.

Javier Sanjuan
05-30-2014, 04:53 AM
Oscar,

If you're on week three (right before a de-load), then you're more than certain going to have these days. Your body is adapting to the loads and stress you're putting on it, so be patient and keep the long-term goal in mind. The fact that you're having days where the weight feels light means the program is having its intended effect on you. You should feel good about crushing those lifts! The complimentary lifts probably feel heavier because either a) you're not used to them (a common thing among newer weightlifters), or b) they're intended to be heavy, like a clean/snatch deadlift. It's only going to be natural to struggle with a weight that is well above your max effort clean or snatch, but it's programmed in there to continue developing a balanced lifter.

When you have those heavy days, review what you did the day prior. This means what kind of volume/intensity you did, but also what you ate, how you slept, and what you did to help yourself recover. All those pieces play a factor in the following day's workout. You can control those factors, so be aware of them.

I also agree with Blake. I wouldn't be opposed to increasing the weight for the last set or two, but be aware that programs are long in duration for a reason, which is why he cautioned against going for a heavy single. You're gradually acclimating your body to handle the weight, so be patient and trust that by the end of they cycle, you'll be where you want to be if you monitor the other factors listed above.

I hope this helps,
Javi

Oscar Tyrberg
06-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Thank you very much for your answer, I will take all these thing into consideration!