PDA

View Full Version : Squat Help (buttwink)

Cody McLeod
06-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Hey all. I just recently starting olympic weightlifting with a coach, and have been doing starting strength to add some leg strength. My squat, however, has some lower back rounding. How do I get rid of this lower back rounding (I already have weightlifting shoes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f40IaijTAOA

Daniel Villarreal
06-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Kind of difficult to get everything down from just that angle. It would seem to me you probably need to drive your knees out more. You can tell that they're travelling quite a bit forward and that makes for a difficult bottom position, especially to people with long legs. Getting the knees out should allow for a more upright position which should help with that lower back rounding. On the other hand, your stance in general seems a bit on the wide side, but that may just be the angle. Work on building a good, solid squatting position and work on mobility. Also core strength helps, there's some unwanted wobble in your squat.

Blake Barnes
06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah it just looks like there are some lower body mobility issues. You can do some mobility exercises before and then static stretch after training to help address this issue.

I would just squat down as deep as I could until I started to feel my back round and then come up. That way your back stays flat throughout the movement. As your flexibility gets better, then your squat will get deeper. I wouldn't recommend forcing your way down there if you can't get down there with a properly arched back.

Cody McLeod
06-03-2014, 10:44 AM
What would you recommend I stretch? My coach says hip flexors, anything besides that?

Blake Barnes
06-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Hip flexors, groin, hamstrings, quads, external rotator stretch. Anything lower body pretty much. There are tons of hip stretches online you can check out.

Before training you can do some leg swings, "spiderman strech/lunge", "iron crosses" and "scorpions", pretty much anything that's going to loosen up your hips dynamically.

Duncan Harrison
07-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Cody:

Any progress on your mobility issue? I have the EXACT same problem. I have been doing a similar routine to what the guys here recommended daily for about 3 months, but I haven't made much progress. Hopefully you have had better luck than I! Anything else you've noticed in your squat journey?

Thanks!