PDA

View Full Version : Could this be killing my gains?

Ryan Hutchins
06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but wanted some feedback before I make any big changes.

So my old work schedule allowed me to lift 3x week with no more than 2 days rest between, I usually worked out mon-wed-fri. Back then I was making steady gains with PR's happening fairly regularly. Fast forward to my current schedule where I work 4 - 12hr shifts with 5 days off, I find myself only making it to the gym anywhere from once to 3x week and often going 4-6 days between gym days or having to cram 3days of gym back to back to back since my gym is closed on the weekends. Since starting this new schedule my gains are non exsistent, I am only able to maintain my strength and have not had a PR in months.

Question is could my current lifting schedule be the cause of my lack of gains or could it just be a plateau I have hit?

Blake Barnes
06-12-2014, 09:18 AM
It could actually be a little of both, but probably more because of the schedule change. First thing I would do is change to a gym that allows you to lift on weekends. I don't think I've ever heard of a gym not being open on a Saturday.

Also, I understand how tough it is to work 12 hour shifts and still get training in but sometimes it just has to be done. Is there absolutely no way you can train on the 4 days you work?

Ryan Hutchins
06-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I was actually thinking of buying a bar and plate set for my garage so I can lift on the weekends and before night shifts where I don't have enough time for a full gym lifting session. Changing gyms is not really an option since its the only gym in town that i trust plus I have a lot of friends there.