PDA

View Full Version : Creatine supplementation

Derek Simonds
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
As I posted on another thread I read Mens Health when I am traveling. Here is a well written article about creatine supplementation.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=nutrition&category=vitamins.supplements&conitem=7ccdeab4458ad010VgnVCM10000013281eac____

When I started my mass gain plan I started using 6 grams per day. Based on what is outlined in here it seems like to see the most benefits you need to load first. Anyone have practical results one way or another.

Mark Bennett
03-29-2007, 01:00 PM
hey, Derek

General opinion now is that there is no need for the loading phase with creatine, as much of this just goes to waste.

Good article here on creatine types/timing etc [URL="http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-156-diet

Personally I have had good results with 5 grams per day no loading.

Mark

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
taking 5 grams a day for 30 days....is as good as doing a 1-2 week loading phase of like 30g/day...Personally I think that whole loading thing came from EAS when they came out with Phosphagen HP and charged like $35 for 20 servings...and they wanted to make a ton more money....great marketing scam, use science to jack up your own sales.......just take it PWO you'll do fine.

Robert Allison
03-30-2007, 08:18 PM
You might try taking about 5 grams right before bed also. I have been trying that & have found it to be effective.

Robb Wolf
03-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Creatine has some really interesting properties even beyond performance enhancement...and it's cheap. 5g/day makes sense to me.

Jonas Lind
04-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Did it for a couple of months about five years ago. Felt the effects for sure. Downside then was that I started looking and feeling like a balloon after a while from all the water that stuck on me.
Is there anything one can do to avoid that?

I also hear the new types of C don't bind water like that. True?

Steve Liberati
04-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Noticed adequate water intake upwards of at least a gallon a day greatly reduces any water retention. Funny how our bodies need water to release water same how we need fat to rid fat.

Also word of caution...don't take creatine and probiotics at the same time unless you don't mind having a major stomach ache. I found out the hard way!

Did it for a couple of months about five years ago. Felt the effects for sure. Downside then was that I started looking and feeling like a balloon after a while from all the water that stuck on me.
Is there anything one can do to avoid that?

I also hear the new types of C don't bind water like that. True?

Dave Van Skike
04-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I took it for several months when I raced bikes. Worked sort of great, sort of not.

Back then I ate pretty poorly little meat, etc. I have an entry form a training journal that says "Super Legs!!" followed by severl top ten finishes in the local criterium circuit..then an enrty from a road race that says.. "Cramp, Puke, DFL. No more creatine"

My diet is alot more squared away currently and I tried it again recently. No appreciabel impact to any of my lifts.

My take it, if your diet is low in meat and fish, it's may be the actual bomb. Drink plenty of water, don't take it during an long endurance event.

John Alston
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Creatine has some really interesting properties even beyond performance enhancement...and it's cheap. 5g/day makes sense to me.

WHat are these properties? I seem to be aware of it mostly as a "volumizer" or something that increased size, but I wasn't aware of strength gains from it.

Cassidy Drake
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
He is most likely speaking of the GH output at bedtime and the neurological effects on some applications of brain response etc.

Mark Bennett
04-12-2007, 02:31 AM
With regards to the " interesting properties" this is taken from the T-nation article I posted above.

Actually Good For You?

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, creatine is actually being used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including a form of muscular dystrophy (26) and Lou Gehrig's disease (5).

There are also positive effects of creatine on glucose tolerance when combined with resistance training and protein supplementation (4). This is a finding of incredible magnitude, because type II diabetes is one of the fastest growing diseases in the Western world! Who knows, in 20 years, part of the treatment may be to consume protein and creatine supplements along with working out!

Further strengthening the support for creatine use, we've seen that creatine supplementation can decrease the level of homocysteine, a toxic indicator for cardiovascular disease (16). This means that creatine has been shown to reduce the risk for the number one killer in the Western world.

Research has also shown that creatine may have an anti-inflammatory effect in vitro, but we don't know how strong this will be in humans (18). Another in vitro study showed that creatine possesses antioxidant activity (17), which is a very exciting prospect.

Lastly, creatine appears to have a nootropic effect. It's been shown to enhance memory and score on an intelligence test in vegetarians (21) and has been shown to reduce mental fatigue and enhance brain oxygen uptake (29). Clearly, the benefits of creatine extend far beyond the athlete!

In summary, creatine appears to not only lack negative health effects, it actually seems to be good for us in many ways!

Mark

John Alston
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, thanks. Nice info. It's cheap enough these days to give a try I think.
And seeing as how I am now a prospective member of the Fat Bastard Club (aka Club Bastardo) and moving up to lift as an 85kg lifter, some extra weight from some creatine won't bother me.

Bobby Spencer
04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey Robb (or anyone else in the know),
I have employed the search function (a wonderful thing, it is) both on this forum and the CF forum to look at some of your advice on creatine. I've noticed that you recommend Creapure specifically the Prolab brand. My question is: Does it matter what brand as long as it is Creapure creatine???Ultimate, Bioplex and others offer Creapure.

I must admit that the lack of research on the other forms of creatine (like the CEE, I've used for a while) has me concerned. As I get older, I want to make sure that the few supplements I do take do not have any long term effects. And I have heard some negative things about CEE and others.

Yael Grauer
04-12-2007, 02:08 PM
And seeing as how I am now a prospective member of the Fat Bastard Club (aka Club Bastardo)

The first rule of the Fat Bastard Club is you don't talk about the Fat Bastard Club.

Robb Wolf
04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
The first rule of the Fat Bastard Club is you don't talk about the Fat Bastard Club.

That is pretty damn funny!

IMO any creatine will work. Find some cheap stuff, take ~1 tsp (5-6g) per day.

John Alston
04-13-2007, 07:57 AM

If this is your first night at Fat Bastard Club, you must eat an entire jar of natural peanut butter and 3 protein shakes. No Exceptions!

Mike ODonnell
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
If this is your first night at Fat Bastard Club, you must eat an entire jar of natural peanut butter and 3 protein shakes. No Exceptions!

I have video tape from the first meeting of the FBC.....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UyrTx3u6Yw

John Alston
04-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I dunno about your fatty club. These are the kind of fat guys that become members Fat Bastard Club (aka, Club Bastardo).
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/erfatron/lifting/reding12.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/erfatron/lifting/VasilyAlexievSnatchII.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/erfatron/lifting/PaulAndersonClean.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/erfatron/lifting/HosseinRezaZadehCJ2004Olympics.jpg

But to get back on topic, I bought some creatine, 100 servings for about 14 bucks. Part of a little mass gain run I am on. Let's see how it treats me.